Weight and Resistance Training - SEPTEMBER - They are going baaaack!

Tomato
08-31-2009, 08:44 PM
Evening, chickies!

As I walked the dogs I thought this would be a nice motto for September (you probably think I watch too many commercials LOL). WHen I logged on, I was surprised that nobody started a September thread yet. Yes, I do realize it is still August ... for 3 more hours and 20 minutes. ;)

I am very tired today and headache-y. I slept horribly last night and I am on my way to bed as soon as I finish typing this. Just wanted to poke my nose in and say Hi. I did biceps and shoulders today, and several hours of gardening; plus some painting. Hardly a spot on me that the skeeters left alone - my Off! spray is missing, not sure what happened to it.
I am going to take some more Advil and catch up on the August thread tomorrow morning.

Night night!

Alena

sportmom
08-31-2009, 08:59 PM
Hey chicks, and man, remember me? That's ok, I don't either :lol3:

Anyway, as Alena says, it is September, and I am coming BAAACK!! Instead of blocks of 12 weeks, I'm taking BFL in 20-pound increments. Which will probably be 12 weeks. But I have a theory that when you're looking at 12 weeks, sometimes it's too easy to flub up in week 4 or 5 knowing that you've still got 7 weeks to get your act together. So, I decided 20 lb chunks work well for me. I have about 3-4 chunks to go, maybe more by the time I get there, we'll see.

So I'm sitting down with my trusty calendar again and will be plotting out the fall with my plan. I'm glad Alena got us started early so that I could post this and move on to planning my cardio in the morning. Just lovely that we got a cool snap (60 this morning!) timed perfectly with this, bc you all remember my whining about having to workout in the heat back in May/June. It's all coming together. :D

Have a great month everyone! I am baaaack!

midwife
08-31-2009, 09:49 PM
What---no challenge? No "Lift 1000X your body weight in September?" :-)

Back to school = total insane hecticness in my life. School clothes, lunches, meetings, homework, nightly reading, sports, sports, sports, committees, room parents---STOP THE INSANITY!

Tonight I had 90 minutes in between soccer and the gym to cook dinner, clean it up, check homework, oversee other homework, and get the kids bathed. Whew....

But I'm off to the gym!

Mel
09-01-2009, 06:25 AM
Humph...I had a challenge but Alena cheated and started the thread last night (which I thought about!). I'll have to set my computer to Greenwich Mean Time next month :lol:

Cardio done, CF tonight.

Welcome back Fran! Good spin on the plan. You know what works for you at this point.

Midwife- I empathize! Just wait a decade or so :)

Mel

sportmom
09-01-2009, 08:20 AM
Mel, where did you pack ds off to? I was wondering if it was someplace in Md since you stopped by the Harbor. Sorry I wasn't around on the thread and missed a chance to meet you!

Cardio got done this morning. I would not advise anyone to take the summers off. "Nuff said, right? I've lost alot, but I know it will come back more quickly than when I was a BFL newbie. I jumped straight into the HIIT brisk walking with inclines - no point on going easy.

silverbirch
09-01-2009, 11:05 AM
:wave:

Mel wrote: I'll have to set my computer to Greenwich Mean Time next month

I am on GMT (Greenwich Mean Time) and thought about starting the thread but hecticity got in the way. DB's school goes back on Thursday, we have the builders (collapsing lean-to or 'conservatory' being rebuilt) and it is torrential most of the time.

Highlights of the past few weeks:

I have been swimming most days (DB wants to perfect handstands and somersaults)
I have eaten too much sugar (none is best for me)
I have eaten too much
We have been on tour.

Anyway, I'm back home and ready to give it another go. :)

Shannon in ATL
09-01-2009, 12:15 PM
Good morning! Wow, September... Where did August go? The good news for me in August is that I actually made the 500 push up/pullup challenge! I can now do 1 unassisted pullup again, and last night I managed 6 kipping pullups before dropping into a heap on the floor.

Mel, what would your challenge have been, hmm?

Alena - hope you slept better last night!

Fran - welcome back! The pound increments sound like a good plan to me.

Midwife - :high: on making it to the gym after all that!

I had a really great workout last night, IMO. I am a believer on that 'recovery period' at this point. My heart rate got to where I expected again, I held form better, and I slept really well last night. I did wake up with icky tummy this morning, so planning cardio for after work... probably some kickboxing and some time on the elliptical. Icky tummy and treadmill don't mix well for me, especially when it is already a struggle to exercise in the morning!

Yesterday's workout:
-kipping pull up - 6
-Jump rope - 30 seconds
-DB Snatch 15lb/ DB Clean & Press 15lb per/Burpee - decreasing sets from 10-1. (Did this entire set in 27 mins, compared to 22-24 minutes for 4 rounds of ten reps before rest break :) )
-DB one hand side press - 10 per side, 8 lbs
- Flapping Bird (last exercise on the page) (http://www.stumptuous.com/cool-exercises-youve-probably-never-seen-before) - 2x5, 5 lbs per
-iron cross - 3x10, 5 lbs per
- walking lunge with opposite shoulder press from Pat's PN workout - 1x10 w/12 lbs, 1x10 w/15lbs
-weighted crunches - 2x10
- miscellaneous body weight squats for warm up, and the front to back with broomstick thing from Cheryl's video yesterday

:wave: to all! Have a great day!

Mel
09-01-2009, 12:51 PM
Fran- DS is at UMBC near Catonsville. I foresee many more trips in that direction. We should have a meet up with you and nelie.

My challenge is more for me- I do my age in push ups (1 set, real ones) every year on my birthday. This year is a double digit birthday that sounds REALLY OLD. last year I just managed to squeak them out. I figure doing at least 500 last month helps, even tho I had to bail on the 'do 100 push ups" challenge when my arm went numb. At least I'm not that old :lol: Thought I'd be quite happy if I were still doing pushups at that age!

Mel

Lydia227
09-01-2009, 01:28 PM
Hey, just wanted to pop in real quick and welcome Fran! Nice to see you post!
My recovery week is turning into two. Had a great workout Saturday and picked up a cold virus the same day. I attempted to go in on Monday did a set of bench presses and felt a fever spike. Eh, well. Hopefully it will speed through my system quickly. I have a double birthday party to put on Saturday afternoon....so looking forward to getting my life back. :kickcan: back to school, week of birthdays, cold virus, two hour kindergarten. Is this over yet?

WaterRat
09-01-2009, 01:39 PM
- walking lunge with opposite shoulder press from Pat's PN workout - 1x10 w/12 lbs, 1x10 w/15lbs

And Shannon, did you, like me, have trouble with this? Not the actual exercise, but putting up the opposite arm :dizzy: I thought I was better coordinated than that...

I am kind of missing my workouts, but I really needed the time. I'm hopeful that my sister (or her son-in-law) has found a gym I can use a few times. I'm planning lots of walking, maybe a little running depending on the surface (my sister lives at the beach :) ). I did pack my resistance bands, so I can do some with them.

Fran - good to see you back, and with a plan! I am now half-way through my precision nutrition 6 month plan, and I'm still happy with it. I have gotten quite a bit stronger, and lost enough to wear a size smaller clothes - top and bottom.

Cheryl - maybe you should just enjoy the quiet. :)

Silver - good to see you too. A new conservatory? How exciting! How old is DB now? 8? Kids here have been back in school since 17 Aug - but they'll be done at the end of May.

Rabbit - nothing wrong with relaxing in the sun. I find it highly restorative!

I'm taking my laptop on my trip, so I'll check in a few times.

Tomato
09-01-2009, 01:48 PM
How about if we plan to lift 1000x MIDWIFE's body weight in October - I promise I won't start a new thread - I don't want to lift 1000x of mine!

Just poppin' in for a moment - I am in middle of crazy gardening - weeding, pulling out weed shrubs, cleaning the dead stuff from a hedge, etc. etc. Just had a quick lunch (turkey chili with chickpeas as well as red beans) and maybe I will have a Skinny Cow ice cream bar. Weather is getting better (i.e. warmer)although some rain would be nice! Should be around 25 C by the end of the week - I will grumble it's too hot.

I am going to Zumba tonight - at least I hope my foot will let me. The insurance covered all the chiro bills, that's good news.
Speaking of birds - no flapping birds here but I found one dead sparrow on the lawn this morning. DOn't know if the dogs did it or something else, the bird definitely wasn't here last night. It's chest was ripped open - poor thing - but I didn't study its anatomy and got into the garbage right away. I hate to find dead animals.

Fran, so if I understand correctly you are planning to lose 20 lbs per each BFL cycle? If you do 3 or 4 more you will have guns like Lydia!

Mel - HAPPY 31'st ANNIVERSARY!!!!

ALena

Tomato
09-01-2009, 01:52 PM
Shannon, I just saw the pics of you in that beautiful red dress - you look smokin' hot!!!
Did you have a good time and how did you survive all day on those heels?

sportmom
09-01-2009, 03:11 PM
MEL - No Way!!!! :D UMBC is where dd swims! I can be found there on Mondays, Thursdays, Fridays, and Sat mornings! Want me to do any spying for you??? :)

Wow, so there is finally a TRUE possibility that we can meet at the RAC (where I walk the track while dd swims) and TRAIN!?!?!? Yeehaw! (But wait, let me get back in shape first or you'll be calling 911 on me.)

Shannon in ATL
09-01-2009, 03:47 PM
Silver - I missed you on my first post this morning, sorry! Welcome back! :)

Alena - the heels weren't nearly as horrible as I expected. I had better balance than I normally do, which seemed to help!

Shannon in ATL
09-01-2009, 04:19 PM
And Shannon, did you, like me, have trouble with this? Not the actual exercise, but putting up the opposite arm :dizzy: I thought I was better coordinated than that...

Pat - I did have trouble with this... I kept trying to put up the same arm I stepped forward with, which threw me off balance. Of course, I make no claims of exceptional coordination... As all of the bruises on my legs display clearly! :rofl:

elisa822
09-02-2009, 07:27 AM
Fran - I'm here too!

Where has the summer gone? Well, we didn't really have much of a summer, but what can you do?

I was in NY for a week in August and it was soooo hot...too hot really but I still managed to get in a run on the streets of NY. So much fun! No other exercise on that trip except lots of walking. Unless you can count eating as exercise?! ;) I treated myself on my birthday to a chocolate peanut butter sundae...for dinner. :o Why eat a meal first when it will only mean that I don't have room for the best part? Yes, that's how my mind works.

It was only September 1 yesterday and already the gym was busier than usual. Has the September rush really begun already? DH was a bit shocked but I told him September and January are always like that and then it goes back to normal within a few weeks. Sad but true.

Mel - even if it's not in the thread name, I think we could still use a monthly challenge. Want to throw one out there?

:wave: to everyone! I keep saying I'll try to check in more often, but I can't seem to make it stick. :( Maybe September will be my month!

Now I'm off to read some old posts and try to catch up with everything.

:D

Mel
09-02-2009, 07:40 AM
Cardio done, off to a CPR class to keep my certification. The hospitals here no longer teach it, so I'm headed to an EMT training center in a shady part of town.

Challenge: do as many push ups as you can in one set today. By the end of the month, do twice as many, or if you are doing modified, do as many REAL ones! Don't forget to do the equivalent amount of back exercises!

My bathroom and closet start getting ripped up in 20 minutes :)

Fran- we will definitely plan to get together!

Mel

Shannon in ATL
09-02-2009, 01:11 PM
Elisa - :rofl: on the sundae for dinner... been there, done that! I know the dinner will be unsatisfying since I'll just be waiting for the dessert, so why not just skip it!

Mel - I'm in on the pushup challenge... I have no idea how many I can do in one uninterrupted set right now, I think somewhere around 15? I'll test it today to see...

Lydia - feeling any better?

Did some kickboxing last night followed with 30 mins on the elliptical and my upper arms and shoulders are still a little sore... Realized about halfway through the boxing part that I was hitting a lot harder than normal but didn't slow down much so I deserve it. :)

Good day everyone!

jamsk8r
09-03-2009, 03:04 AM
Hey peeps, :wave:!

Haven't caught up on the thread, but need to get to bed, so thought I'd pop in with just a quick update.

Been busy, gym in the morning, afternoons spent working at yard work/handychick jobs, and all my home time is spent doing laundry, chores and sleeping. Tomorrow will be the same, but then this weekend I'll be home with 3 boarding dogs, which will be nice. The weather is finally cooling in the mornings, so I am hoping I can get out and run dogs this weekend at least once.

The CF report, greatly condensed:
Tuesday's wod was four 400 meter runs for time. Got a new PR of 1:50. :)
Wednesday's wod was squat cleans, 5 sets of 3 across. I warmed up with lighter weights, then used 75# for my working sets. Not too heavy, since I am still learning this move. I think I'm FINALLY getting the hang of getting those elbows around quickly, and the squat portion seems easier now. I only fell on my butt a few times. :D

silverbirch
09-03-2009, 07:30 AM
Morning! :wave: If I'd been quicker I'd have caught Cheryl before she went to bed but it's the first day of term and things were busy.

I've been to the gymn and done cardio. Not too much and a lot of stretching. Chiro tomorrow. Had a mammogram. Gone to the supermarket. Bought green leafy veg. etc.

The plan this week is to 'get my life back'. (Lydia, let's bond. :D) I got on the scales yesterday to find a most terrible number but my period was just starting. Today it was terrible but less bad. Nevertheless, I have to take myself in hand.

Pat, DB is now 9 1/4. I am now 54. So, Mel, I do not think you are really old ... I've had confirmation of weight-lifting as 'the fountain of youth', as Meg says, from our builders. I've known them for years and one was amazed to learn my real age. He thought I was in my mid-40s. Yes! :cool: What a laugh!

Fran and Elisa - hello again! Alena - hello!

Shannon - great work balancing on your new shoes!

I'd better go now. Work to be done and all that. See you tomorrow.

Mel
09-03-2009, 07:31 AM
Yesterdays CF workout was brutal:

40 pull ups
400 meter run
40 Sumo deadlift high pulls
400 meter run
40 kettle bell "ribbons" ( two handed figure 8 from left hip, over head to right hip, then back = 1)
400 meter run
40 box jumps

abs 8 sets of hanging knees to elbows

My only mods were the knees to elbows- I just can't hang without my shoulders begging for an orthopedist. NOT worth it! I did basically the same thing on the floor, which is nowhere near the same difficulty. But I'm 25 years older than anyone else there. At least that's my excuse :lol:

Lots of off site meetings today- not sure what the food situation will be. I packed the usual last night then realized I can't eat a tub full of salad with fish in a big town hall type meeting!

My bathroom is completely ripped out now. The cats are thoroughly freaked out, and I can't find my clothes because they are sprinkled through every closet in the house except my bedroom! Getting dressed is like a treasure hunt:dizzy: I'll get more organized on the weekend. haha, famous last words!

What's everyone doing for the long weekend? Does everyone have a long weekend?

Mel

silverbirch
09-03-2009, 09:10 AM
Your clothes story resonates, Mel! It's a bit tricky here too. Do you have my other pair of workout trousers or one of my good socks? I may have one of your suits. Just let me know! :dizzy:

More input from the builders. The roofer's son was in a very bad car accident last summer: head-on, unconscious, fire in engine, stuck in seat-belt. But he lifts weights. Came to, tore the seat-belt out of its fitting, crawled to other side of road. Phew!

He was very badly injured but has made a fantastic recovery. Yes, he's young but some medics have the idea that all the protein he eats tipped the balance.

Like I say, it's what I go to the gymn for. You simply never know. And if stuff happens, you're in better shape to deal with it. :crossed:

midwife
09-03-2009, 09:12 AM
Those workouts sound like fun!

My gym is closed Monday night so I need to put together an at home workout . Hmmmm.....good ideas!

My long weekend: Sat = cross country Sun = delivering babies Mon=recovering from delivering babies. Hmmm.....same as every other weekend! I guess no one told the babies it is a long weekend. I actually enjoy catching babies over the Labor Day weekend. The moms get a kick out of it.

ETA: Wow, birch, what a story! I'm glad he's okay!

Shannon in ATL
09-03-2009, 10:28 AM
Good morning!

Silver - wow, that is a story! Very glad he is okay as well. I always think about things like getting into better shape to prevent health conditions, but I'm sure it will also help me in case of crisis. And, like you, it seems to make me appear younger than I am to most people, which I have no problem with!

Midwife - babies don't tend to take holidays off, I guess! :)

Mel - ouch! That looks rough! Funny about your clothes being scattered about... That would make me absolutely crazy...

Cheryl - You have been busy this week! Hope you get a little down time over the weekend!

I worked out last night for a brief period of time - nothing great to speak of. I was still sore from the kickboxing Tuesday night so only did about 20 minutes of my planned strength training before calling it quits and moving to some yoga. Overslept this morning so no exercise - if we have DSS tonight won't get in any this afternoon either. DH is home sick - we don't know at this point if it is a normal cold or flu. He had a low grade fever last night, but no other time. He has been out for the better part of the week, came home early Friday, Tuesday & Wednesday, now home all day today. I'm hoping that he cancels DSS coming over tonight so he can get a little more rest even if he doesn't spike a fever again today.

Good day everyone!

nelie
09-03-2009, 10:57 AM
So no monthly challenge? :)

I actually went up to Valley Forge the other day and I'm going to Philly/NYC next weekend.

We should have a get together in the Baltimore area sometime :)

I have somewhat been slacking in regards to exercise. I've been walking and running and some kettlebells but not dedicated weights. What is wrong with me? :) Oh and I did go kayaking last weekend and will probably go kayaking this weekend.

Someone I know had a relative die of cancer, she was in her 40s. I think I need to really re-evaluate my goals and methods. I've been on and off of proper eating/exercising for the past 2 years. I need to switch the light on and keep it on. I need to value my life more than I do. Of course I don't think I am unhealthy but I also am not at my full potential and I should work to change that. Life is short. Of course sometimes I think life is too short to miss out on whatever new treat I've found :) That obviously is the wrong mentality.

My husband and I are starting Karate in less than 2 weeks so hopefully that'll help get in the right mind set. I'm also running whether I'm doing anything else right because I have found the ability to convince myself to go out and do my run program.

midwife
09-03-2009, 11:05 AM
The September challenge is to lift 1000 Tomatoes. :-)

Karate will be fun!!!

Lydia227
09-03-2009, 12:12 PM
Silver: That's an amazing story about your roofer's son. Yep. :yes: That's why I do it too. Now that's functional fitness.

Love it that you were mistaken for a woman in her mid 40's. Seriously. Makes me wonder how old I look if you didn't know. :lol: Oh vanity gets me now where...I know better. But it is the fountain of youth I have no doubt. Looks are one thing but movement is so much more rewarding.

Let's bond over the getting my life back thing maybe next week. I'm STILL sick. This is one of those wonderful old fashioned colds. Fever keeps spiking when I do anything more than roll over on the couch. :lol:

I'm hoping to let it run its course so I can be healthy the rest of the fall/winter. I've got plans to get seriously fit and don't need the distraction. Right now I can use my down time to study for the NASM test this fall.

Shannon: If I forgot to mention, you looked fantastic in the reunion photos. Loved the dress! Hope your DH is feeling better soon too. Being sick is no fun.

Mel: Hope your cats survive the bathroom remodel.

Midwife: Labor Day is the best day to have a baby! My FIL was born on labor day too. His birthday is the last of what I refer to as "birthday season" in our family: DH, DS1, DS2, my nephew, both of my grandparents as well as FIL. If my family is any indication of the norm, this has been a very busy month for you. :lol:

Cheryl: Wow. You are one busy person. Enjoy the dogs who are coming for a visit and try to get a little recovery rest!

Nelie: Let me know what you think of Karate! This is something I haven't done. With regard to re evaluating your goals and methods:

I have found in my own training I experience hills and valleys. There are periods when I can put together a plan, go full tilt, eat clean and feel like a million bucks. I can't imagine ever wanting to stop or how I could feel any different.

Then I may hit a valley: maybe overtraining and I need a neurological rest, maybe life gets in the way and I become just slightly deconditioned and then complacent...

I find it impossible to remain focused in goal mode ALL of the time. I go in cycles and I think that is okay. It's a journey.

When I do need to go through a valley though I begin to seek alternative ways to grow/enrich my knowledge. Maybe taking a class, hiring a trainer, doing yoga instead of lifting or just throwing myself into my house completely to catch up on projects.

I think the trick though is to always keep one foot in the fitness realm during the valleys. It's important. If we step out for just a moment we are not being reinforced with all the good that we receive from it, all we may remember is the discipline it requires in time, money, effort, eating, etc which can seem draining in an of itself.

Anyway, just my thoughts, just to let you know you are not alone in the idea of dialing it down a little, reevaluating your goals and then making a plan. I think it's a good approach. Just make sure there is a plan in place when you need it. :hug: Then get yourself psyched with positive thoughts of realizing your goal.

Okay. Off to go sneeze again. Enjoy the beautiful weather if you can!

Shannon in ATL
09-03-2009, 01:24 PM
Challenge: do as many push ups as you can in one set today. By the end of the month, do twice as many, or if you are doing modified, do as many REAL ones! Don't forget to do the equivalent amount of back exercises!

Mel - I did a set of 18 last night. During the pushup challenge last month I remember doing 20 in one set, but couldn't make that last night. So, I'm going with 18 as my starting number, looking for 36 by the end of the month. What back exercises do I need to do to compliment them?

Nelie - I feel you on the 'life is too short to miss a treat' mentality. I get it sometimes, too. :)

Lydia - hope the cold breaks soon for you! I'm afraid mine is just starting...

I forgot to put in my last post that I built a set of PVC parrallettes last night. I took a pic of them on my blackberry but can't figure out yet how to get it out of there and onto here. :)

jamsk8r
09-03-2009, 07:21 PM
Hey ladies,

Today's workout was short, heavy (for me) and fun, since it was all about the deadlifts:

5 rounds of:
7 Deadlifts (225# men/155# women)
20 sit-ups

My time was 7:12/Rx'd. I've been using 135 lbs for the deadlift in hi rep wods, so I figured I could handle the 155 for 7 at a time. About round 2, I wasn't so sure...oof! I was busted down to singles by round 5, but I survived. :D

Sorry I'm not keeping up with replies right now, but things will calm down over the weekend...I hope!

4rabbit
09-04-2009, 01:43 AM
Hi ladies,

Lydia - :hug: I hope you are feeling better
Shannon - :carrot: on the paralettes, you rock!
Pat - Enjoy your trip!
Mel & birch - :dizzy: builders in the house 1 :dizzy:

Hi to everyone else...sending over some good vibes :goodvibes: in re wandering clothes, cats & kids back to school. In a case of morphic resonance I find myself too..looking at piles of clothes since still have to repopulate my wardrobe closet after a bedroom makeover, got a new dressing gown since my eldest cat took possession of my old one to make a day nest, and my kids have to go to school today to get their schedules etc, classes start next Monday. Life is getting back into its normal grooves, I'll have to ask my gym buddy if she is ready to go back to the gym! (she dropped out for the summer)

My giant elastic bands arrived yesterday. I have yet to do some serious testing, but I have done some trial pull-ups and it works! I managed with 3 bands, but I guess I'll need 4 to start with so I can do more than 1 pull up. And I got some smaller bands as well to play with.

Have a great day all,

Mel
09-04-2009, 07:29 AM
Rabbit- have fun with the bands! I think they really are the best way to do assisted pull ups. I want to get a set for home also.

Last night's CF workout was again brutal- I don't like met cons with no heavy lifts! But it sure works. Clothes all feel looser, muscle definition is better.

Lydia- You've been getting a LOT of colds! Do you have allergies or maybe a lingering sinus infection? Time to see a doc? Hope you feel better soon.

Silver- What a story! Being in shape and LOTS of protein definitely helps in healing.

Midwife- Have a lovely time catching babies! Does that count as a workout? Probably for you and the mom!

Shannon- I meant to tell you a few days ago how gorgeous you looked in the reunion pictures! And way to go on being another handy chick and building your own paralettes!

OK, off to work:dizzy:

Mel

Shannon in ATL
09-04-2009, 11:13 AM
Rabbit - I'm glad the bands worked! Which ones did you get again? Pallet bands?

Mel - how goes the closet repair?

Cheryl - :high: on the 155#! Woo hoo!

Here are the parrallettes! I actually managed to get my feet off the floor yesterday in my quest towards an L-Sit... Didn't make it to L, looked more like a U - knees ended up towards my chest with my legs bent. Going to keep at it though - much harder than I thought!
http://i429.photobucket.com/albums/qq12/ShannoninATL/th_parrallettes2.jpghttp://i429.photobucket.com/albums/qq12/ShannoninATL/th_parrallettes.jpg

jamsk8r
09-04-2009, 05:24 PM
Shannon, WTG on the parallettes...they look great! I had to do the bent knees thing, too. Now, I can get the L-sit for a few seconds at a time, but when we do a longish time on them (like accumulate 2 mins at the end of a workout), then I usually have to resort to the bent knees to finish, just depending how fried my abs are.

Mel, how goes the remodel?

Lydia, hope you'll be feeling better, soon. :hug:

Midwife, how the heck do you schedule baby delivery? I thought they just showed up when they felt like it! (mine did!) Does the full moon affect births at all? I haven't checked the calendar to see if it is one now, but it was CRAZY at my gym today. The babies and little kids were all crying today, the adults were on edge or hyper, and it was like somebody cranked the volume to the max on the world. My trainer and I were just sitting there grinning and watching the show, (and contemplating the best escape route if it got too ugly). :dizzy: I told him I thought maybe he should call in sick, since it didn't seem like a good night to be a cop. Yeesh!

Rabbit, do keep us updated on how those pallet bands work out. I agree with Mel, it's a lot closer to the real deal than the gravitron/assisted pull-up machine, IMO, especially for conditioning your hands/grip.

Birch, :wave:! Great story about the benefits of being in shape!

The CF Report follows, then I have to get out of here to pick up a dog. :wave: to all!

Today's WOD was
Push Jerk
3-3-3-3-3 (with the same weight)

I warmed up with sets of 3 at 45#-65-75-80, then did my 5 sets of 3 with 85#. I tried some regular Push Jerks, but just can't get under the bar fast or low enough with those (slow and uncooperative feet), so I went back to my usual, the split jerk. No reason not to split, I just thought I'd give it a try. My trainer said they all looked good, but tweaked my form a little on how the bar sits for the dip/drive. He says that if I make a rack with my shoulders in the front (almost like a clean), and rest the bar there, then that will help me with heavier weights. He says when you're just holding it with the arms in front, elbows low, then when you do the dip, the bar dips down, and doesn't get as high from the drive....if you rack it on the shoulders in front, then when you drive, you get the full power of the dip-drive transferred to the bar. After watching some others using that style (arms only), I could see the difference. So, I practiced racking the bar on my shoulders, and that worked well. It does put the bar farther under the chin, so I'll have to be extra diligent about moving my chin back out of the way. I don't want to knock my teeth loose with a barbell, like I tried to do last time we did push presses. :D

Strongman practice tomorrow...first one for me since... end of July? :carrot:

Later, peeps!

jamsk8r
09-06-2009, 01:44 AM
Everybody must be off having weekend fun! :mag:

Today at CF I got to play strongman again. :strong: woot!

First, I did the "yoke walk" which I'd never done before. (here's a vid of what that looks like...)
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=530VuojsUAY
Yeah, pretty dork looking, but it was fun to do. I started with the 150# yoke, then did one at 200 and one at 250. The 250 was a challenge to stand up with, but not too bad once I was walking with it. The hardest part was trying to keep my stomach tight...haven't quite figured out the breathing pattern yet. This was my first time wearing a weight belt, too. Yee-ouch! Felt like it was cutting me in two, but it distracted me from any other pains. :D

After that, I wanted to learn the "continental clean" with the fat barbell (aka axle). Since that bar is hard for me to grip, I figured I should learn the continental clean, so that when it's too heavy for me to grip and do a normal oly style clean, I can still get the bar up high enough to get under it for taking it overhead. (let me see if I can find a video of this move...)
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZdAWueTWdQM
Okay, like that, but without the attitude, lol!

After a few practice ones with 53#, then I did a bunch more with 83#, which was heavy enough to make the clean difficult, without the push press being a big deal. By the time I was done crashing that barbell down on my sternum about a dozen times, I was glad we didn't have time for stones. Luckily this sport is fun to learn, because it sure leaves me feeling beaten up and bruised afterward. :faint:

Tomorrow is a stay-home day. Of course, that means catching up on laundry and all the housework I've been neglecting this past week. :dizzy:

Shannon in ATL
09-06-2009, 08:33 AM
Cheryl - I'm thinking the strongman stuff is cool to watch, but more than I could handle. More power to you!

This week has been weird for me. I took off last Fri, Sat & Sun from exercise because I was feeling a little worn. Monday I had a great strength training session, great kickboxing & cardio Tuesday, Wednesday I couldn't make myself finish my planned db workout for anything. Got is about 25 minutes, wandered around annoyed for a few minutes, switched to yoga. Good cardio session Thursday, 5k between treadmill & elliptical. Friday I was again unable to make myself do my db workout - set everything up, did some warmup squats, two half hearted L-sits for about five seconds each with my knees pulled up, made it through one set of db swings and quit. Put everything up, got it back out, wandered around aimlessly again, put everything up again. Felt somewhat stiff and pretty frustrated. Then yesterday I had what was likely my best run ever at the park - 8 miles, of which I ran 3.25 & 3.5 with walking .5 to start, .25 in the middle & .5 to cool down. I'm going to try some light db exercises today, might do an entire workout if it goes well. I typically do strength training M,W,F but can switch next week to T,Th,S if I need to. Might try to get to the park Monday on my Labor Day holiday.

Sorry that got rambly - I was hoping if I wrote it all out I would understand it better... Maybe I'm just still a little tired - I did overdo the kickboxing on Tuesday and was sore. Or it could be that I need something to work towards and the August pushup/pullup challenge is over! :dizzy:

Good weekend everyone! And good holiday to those in the US!

jamsk8r
09-06-2009, 03:16 PM
Shannon, looking at that, I have 2 thoughts: ALL your workouts are long. Long cardio, long weight sessions, day after day. Second thought is, you're often doing every exercise you know for DBs, so that could get boring and/or intimidating pretty quick.

You might just be wearing yourself out with those long sessions every day. You might try mixing it up a bit. Maybe 2 long cardio sessions a week, 2 short/intense db circuit days (just 2 or 3 exercises, though, not all of them at once), 2 days where you just work on goals like a max lift, practicing a new lift, or working on gymnastics like pull-ups, L-sits or handstands. That would be my suggestion...mix it up a bit for duration, reps, exercises, and try to put some fun back into it! :hug:

Shannon in ATL
09-06-2009, 03:21 PM
Cheryl - that makes a lot of sense. I originally started the whole short DB circuit thing because I had built up to a crazy 1:00-1:15 min smoosh of everything under the sun. Went great with the shorter, more intense sessions about 4 weeks, then started added more stuff back in again, until I was back at almost an hour again... Easy to burn out like that. :)

Lydia227
09-06-2009, 10:10 PM
Hey Cheryl, you noticed the same thing I did with Shannon's workouts. My thought was that you may be training more of your Type 1 muscle (endurance/running) more frequently than the Type 2 muscles (fast twitch responsible for efficient weight training) Just a thought...The same answer as Cheryl's make sure you are mixing it up a little more. It's a difficult balance for me too. This spring and summer I found myself focusing upon building strength (fast twitch type 2 muscle) When I began running again or attempting steady state cardio I found it to be much more challenging than it should have been :s:

You also want to keep in mind that you want to stray away from a tendency to overtrain. When increasing volume or intensity do this slowly. Have a heavy day or a long day but not at the same time. Be sure to get those rest days in as well. Growth occurs only during repair and repair only occurs through proper nutrition and rest. Maybe a workout plan of three days on and one day off followed by two days on then one day off might help you with your recovery if you are not already doing this. Just a thought. :chin:
Isn't fitness wonderful. All these modifications and adjustments along the way. :lol:

4rabbit
09-07-2009, 04:16 AM
Hi guys,

Just popping in to let you all know that I'm still araound, but with a lot of stuff that I have to do. Looks like every time I look away life shoves something on my plate and another day has passed.

Here is the pallet band report sofar...I got 12 of them in my package from the dutch manufacturor. They are about 1 m long if you put them flat on the ground, and 25 mm wide (1 inch) and about 1 mm thick. I did not put up a proper bar yet, so I slung them around one of the steps on my open staircase. I checked ot the amount of assistance that i got with the scales for weighing luggage, and I easily got above 20 kgs with 2 bands.
I need 3 - 4 of them to give sufficient assistance with the pullup, but I note a tendency to swing forward in the bands, and a tendency to bounce up & down in them rather than the controlled movement that I envisaged before. Is it supposed to be like a bounce up & down thing?
And I noted that I cannot grip properly with the stairs, so I'll definitely have to put me up a bar. But what I was afaind off: that the bands would not give sufficient assistance and that it would be awkward to use multiple bands did not happen. That is not a problem at all. Of course this is for the dutch pallet bands that I bought. OTOH, the pallet bands that I googled (5 bands for $15 I believe, see the link in an earlier post) look entirely similar, so I would definitely suggest to give that a shot.

I also noticed that I can hook the giant rubber band to the staircase at a lower step, and use it to do chest stuff & back stuff. It's like the workout with the resistance bands, but you don't have to tie to fasten them. Definitely interesting.

For the rest of the weekend: Went for a run & swam on saturday, and biked to work today. Cheryl, Shannnon, Lydia - I want to be a like you girls when I grow up!!

Seriously, at 50 I have only 1 resolution left. My endurance and strenght is much better than at 45, but still below "normal". I want to be a tough old lady and work out till a ripe old age.

OK, back to work.
Have a great day all,
Rabbit

nelie
09-07-2009, 09:01 AM
Yesterday, my husband and I went kayaking. Afterwards we went to the thrift store and then we cut through a commercial park area to go to a restaurant. As we were driving, I saw a sign for a crossfit place! I told him to turn around, I wanted to see. Unfortunately, they didn't have any windows as is it was in some type of rental garage type place. It is also way out of my way for a normal day so if I did choose one to go to, that probably wouldn't be the one.

silverbirch
09-07-2009, 09:08 AM
A quick hullo :wave:

It's a bit busy today ...

Shannon in ATL
09-07-2009, 10:01 AM
Good morning!

Lydia - thanks for the thoughts on the exercise plan! I do tend to overtrain, lately I've been doing six days on with Sunday off, and six pretty long days. Putting that extra off day back in would probably help some. I do need to sit down this week and make a formal plan, that would likely keep me on track more. I also found myself doing 20-30 mins of reasonably intense cardio even on days I did strength training, so definitely a lot of focus on the Type 1 group. It is very complicated! Glad I have people here who can answer my questions! :)

Rabbit - the bands sound cool! I'm going to go back and find your link...

Nelie - there is a crossfit near me too, but just inconvenient enough that I haven't been able to justify it yet.

Silver - hello!

Good day everyone!

jamsk8r
09-07-2009, 08:05 PM
Careful, ladies! You get the CF bug on you, you'll be assimilated, like me and Mel! :rofl: I confess, I love it, and the results I've gotten are amazing, week after week. :strong:

Rabbit, thanks for the report on the bands. Nope, you don't want to be bouncing, but I know what you mean. If you're doing higher reps, it is very tempting to use that rubber band as a crutch, push down hard on it, and it bounces you right up, chin over the bar, lol. Cheater! Try using 1 less band or just slow down, to ditch the bounce. A bar would definitely be easier to grip over the edge of a stair, I'm sure!

Silver, :wave: back at you!

Lydia, are you feeling better now? I hope so! :hug:

The CF Report follows, feel free to skip:

So, today was Labor Day, a holiday, and I didn't even THINK of that when I innocently went into the gym this morning. Of course, in the CF tradition, they tried to kill us, as a form of celebration. :lol3:

The WOD:

In teams of 2, complete the following:

Run 400 meters with a weight plate (if one or more guys on the team: 45#/ 2 women use 25# plate)
100 air (BW) squats with the plate
Run 400 with plate
100 offset push-ups (plate on floor, one hand on plate, push-up, switch hands, push-up, etc)
Run 400 with plate
50 burpees (miraculously, without the weight plate)
Run 400 with plate

I got paired with Alicia, so we got to use a 25# plate (score!), and she was just my speed for running and the exercises, so it worked out great. We each carried the plate 200 meters each run, and got about equal rest breaks, since we went about the same pace for the squats, push-ups and burpees. (only one team member could be working at a time, on everything but the runs, where we both ran, and just handed off the plate at the halfway mark) We did all our push-ups and burpees strict chest to floor on the toes, so it took us a little longer, but we were "all that" since we did it Rx'd! 26:18 was our time, not the fastest, but not the slowest, either. Thankfully, tomorrow will be heavy lifting or gymnastics practice, something nice like that. :faint:

4rabbit
09-08-2009, 04:49 AM
Cheryl- thnx for the anti-bounce advice, I'll try that. haven't put up a bar yet so I'll continue to improvise with the stairs for a while

Shannon - http://www.mcmaster.com/#pallet-banding/=3jemln, heavy duty pallet bands. Mine are from a dutch supplier: 1 in wide, same thickness.

Yesterday I went to power class & biked to work. Today: biked to work.

Have a great day all,
rabbit

Mel
09-08-2009, 09:33 PM
Ugh...push up birthday challenge was not a success. Now I really feel old. This is the first time I've NOT achieved it in 8 years. Here's my excuse: yesterday's CF workout was a lot of push ups on a medicine ball and medicine ball clean-squat-wall balls and my shoulders and chest were already sore :p:p
Gonna wait a week and try it again.

Back to clean eating...sigh.... Lots of damage from the 3 day weekend and birthday!

Mel

jamsk8r
09-09-2009, 12:40 AM
Mel, I'm feeling you. After the push-up and burpee-fest yesterday, I tried doing some push-ups in my warm-up this morning. About 3 push-ups later, I was like, "oh-kayyyy...that ought to do it!" (faceplant) The medball clean-wallball combo sounds brutal. Never ever say that out loud, where my trainers might hear of it! :brr: We both know you CAN do those push-ups, when you're not fried, so try not to be too upset about it. And...

:woo: :bday2you: :woo:

Rabbit, I completely understand about the need to improvise. My pull-up "bar" at home is a branch on the apple tree, and my "barbell" is a broomstick with some old weight plates held on with rubber bands. :rofl: Works in a pinch, though!

The CF Report, as usual, below:

Today was a recovery day workout:
Run 1 mile (for time)
then you have exactly 10 mins to get your heaviest Snatch

I got a PR on both: 9:41 for my mile, then 70# with a power snatch. Could have gone heavier with the snatch lift, but for some reason I could not get it together on that lift today. It was like I couldn't remember how to do the lift. It looked like a train wreck, couldn't get under the bar, just mentally not with it. Finally, after the wod was over, the boss lady showed up at the gym, she's my fave for oly lifts, and of course she just said I was thinking too much, so she put the magic trainer juju on me, said, "slow, slow, JUMP!" and fixed it in about 2 seconds. :dizzy: The movement is already drilled into me, I just have to quit overanalyzing the thing and let it happen. :frypan:

Tomorrow is the boss man's bday (he's my usual trainer since I go in the mornings). Since he's the strongman type, I'm hoping for something cool... strongman stuff, or just heavy deads, something cool like that. I'm sure there will be plenty of suck to go along with it, just so we don't have TOO much fun! ;)

4rabbit
09-09-2009, 01:38 AM
:hug:Mel :hug:
:bday2you:

silverbirch
09-09-2009, 06:49 AM
Good morning!

I saw you, rabbit, very early this morning but I wasn't sufficiently together to post! I was in bed, on the BlackBerry, spooning in porage (Scottish spelling). Oops, I mean porridge (global spelling). :dizzy:

I've been to the gymn. FB weights. Stretching. I'm getting back into the groove but it'll take a while. I'd done a full shift by the time I got there (0845) or it felt like it ...

:goodvibes: to all. I'm hoping for a fairly well-balanced day. I don't think I can take anything different. Hope your day goes well too.

4rabbit
09-09-2009, 07:12 AM
Morning birch, yeah, very early. I have morning double esspresso in bed with the netbook. Have a good day.

Mel
09-09-2009, 07:19 AM
:wave: Good morning! I'm sore:p and up too many pounds from a week and a half of unfettered eating :p:p This ends today!

midwife
09-09-2009, 08:31 AM
:hb: Mel!!!

Shannon in ATL
09-09-2009, 11:28 AM
:bday2you::bday2you::bday2you:
:celebrate::celebrate::celebrate:
:gift::woo:
:balloons:
Happy birthday Mel!

Shannon in ATL
09-09-2009, 11:40 AM
Good morning!

Mel - you'll make your birthday pushups after you recover from the medicine ball palooza. :) And I feel you on the overeating over the weekend... I was nicely under calories yesterday, so am hoping to keep it that way the rest of the week. My new neighbors are having a cookout on Saturday night so I have to be ready...

Rabbit - thanks for the bands link! I have a pullup bar that hooks in the doorframe and is removable, you could probably use something like that. Iron Gym Pullup Bar Review (http://www.jennyreviews.com/as-seen-on-tv/iron-gym-pull-up-bar/)

Cheryl - good job on the mile and the snatch weight! Woo hoo!

Birch - good job on the workout! :)

I haven't posted my workouts the last few days, but have been working on getting back on track since running into my mental wall on Friday. I've been consciously trying not to overdo it, keeping things down to 25-30 minutes total in the DB exercises, not trying to do everything all the time. I've read a couple of other places that I should keep the DB circuits to 20 minutes or less, stumptuous specifically, so it isn't like that was new information, I just chose to ignore it before. :)

Saturday - run at the park
Sunday -
Rope: 30 sec
DB swing 15lb/squat+press 15lb/horiz pullup: 6x10
Rope: 30 secs
DB Side Press 12 lb: 10 per
Crunch 5lb: 2x15
rope: 35 secs
12 pushup
27 mins
Then I cut the grass and did the edging, that took considerably longer than 27 mins. :)

Monday:
Squat/jump/tuck: 10
DB snatch 15lb/ clean+press 15lb/burpee: 4x10
squat/jump/tuck: 10
weider crunch 100/side crunch 100 per: 2x10
26 mins total
2.0 miles bike: 7mins

Tuesday: 45 mins on elliptical, 2.5 miles

Of course, now I have a cold, so could be taking a few days off. Don't feel safe doing strength training right now and couldn't breathe during the tail end of yesterday's cardio. Blah. :(

Good day all!

sacha
09-09-2009, 02:34 PM
Great workouts ladies. I took yesterday & today off as scheduled rest days (I am quite tired since I worked until 5am today).

Took the dog for a one hour walk and might do some stretch/yoga tomorrow. I had to bail out of a squat on my last workout so a good two days off is what I need.

Mel
09-09-2009, 08:39 PM
Ooooh Sacha! Bailing from a squat sounds :p Do you use bumper plates or metal?

Today was kettle bellapalooza :lol: I took off my lifting gloves on the advice of one of the CF trainers and used chalk. BAD MISTAKE! I have no skin on my hands now. My elbows are almost healed from slide out of a plank a week and a half ago because I was so sweaty, so I guess it was time for another body part skinning :dizzy: And we also did PUSH UPS as part of the workout. Oh, I'm just loving my daily push ups!

Last weekend when dh and I were going out for dinner in Baltimore, I was all dressed up in a halter top dress and had fits when I discovered a cat scratch (really, she's getting a lot better!) on my shoulder. DH was laughing so hard as he pointed out the bruises on my wrists from kettle bell snatches, the BIG bruise on my thigh where I walked into the end of a bar, the bruises on my shins, and the big skinless patches on my elbows. The cat scratch was pretty small in retrospect.

Food only slightly off kilter today. That's a big improvement.

Mel

silverbirch
09-10-2009, 08:25 AM
I'm here. Cardio done. More cardio is in my future.

The shock of how old some of my peers look. I'm still reeling. I've obviously been living in a bubble not to have noticed this before. Or maybe it's starting to become more obvious as we get older. The results of life choices are showing.

Val McDermid is a Scottish author. Born in 1955, like me. There's a gallery of great pictures bottom right.

http://www.valmcdermid.com/

:dizzy: Just mulling it all over.

Good work on the food, Mel. Tomorrow you'll be pretty much on kilter and then you'll be 100% on kilter (I'm really not sure if that's actually possible in English but you get my drift).

Stick at it, everyone. I'll be more with it as the days wear on and the builders leave. :goodvibes:

midwife
09-10-2009, 08:28 AM
I love Val McDermid!!! (OT, but still!)

Shannon in ATL
09-10-2009, 11:06 AM
Home sick today... Blah...

Lydia227
09-10-2009, 01:05 PM
Mel::woo: Happy Belated Birthday to You! :hug: All the scratches and bruises...and you've earned each and every one of them. :yes: They were all fun in the process right? I'll visit an orthopedic specialist in my old age over a cardiologist any day. :s:

Shannon: You caught my cold! (so sorry, here's a tissue) I'm finally much better. Took about a week. Hopefully yours is short too. :hug:

Birch: I kind of know how you might be feeling about the effects of aging upon our peers. I had an awaking during my class reunion. In my case, many of my classmates had just entered their forties but they looked so. much. older. It was the first time in which I realized I'm really not in my early thirties anymore. :faint: I'm always looking for youthful examples of people my age to validate to myself that I don't have to trade in my Sketchers for sensible shoes just yet. (Besides, I wore sensible shoes in my twenties and thirties when I was heavier and so much older than I am today.) Don't stress over it Birch. You are doing all the right things splashing around in the fountain of youth by lifting, eating well, and making yourself a priority. Or maybe it's just really good genes. :D

Great workout in yesterday. Today I brought a friend into the gym to teach her a routine she can do at home. I know, why didn't I just do this at her home. Mostly because I want to entice her in a membership so she can workout out with us. :devil: Great fun had by all.

Enjoy the :sunny:

jamsk8r
09-10-2009, 04:03 PM
Hey peeps, :wave:.

Lydia, glad you're feeling better!

Shannon, those look a lot more focused...nice!

Mel, just LOL, since I have some big ugly bruises from my strongman workout last Saturday, so I'm with you, there. Sorry to hear about the hands!

Everybody else, :wave:! CF report follows (trying to keep it condensed...I feel like my emails always turn into a novel before I'm done).

Wednesday was a Bday workout for my morning trainer, 37 years old:

15-12-9-1 reps of:
OH Squat (155/95#)
Muscle-up
Row for calories

95# OHS? In my dreams! I used 35# instead. :D Subbed pull-ups and dips for the muscle-ups. 19:11 was my time. Most of the Rx'd crowd took more like 25-35 mins, so I guess I should have gone a little heavier for this one. This was my first time doing dips with a band. Now that I know I CAN do them, I'm definitely putting those into my warm-ups. It will be a good sub for push-ups on days when my push-ups are "broken".

Today was a recovery/focus day. Dawn, who is a yoga instructor, taught us Sun Salutations, which I remember Lydia saying she liked. I had no idea there were so many moves involved! Dawn will be giving us some free yoga instruction on Fridays after the wod, starting tomorrow. I'm definitely in for that, since I could use a LOT of help with flexibility.

After the yoga mini lesson, we did 3 mins of L-sits (or raised knees), then practiced Double Unders with the jumprope. I actually got my first DUs today! woot! I now have "one in a row"...well, everybody has to start somewhere, right? ;)

Hopefully tomorrow will be some type of max lift, since Saturday we are scheduled to do the Filthy Fifty to celebrate another birthday. I'm about ready to practice the full squat clean again, or as I like to call it, "falling on my butt and bashing my shins with a barbell".

PS to Sacha, great to see you here! I'd love to hear what you're doing specifically for your oly lifting workouts!

Lydia227
09-10-2009, 05:41 PM
Cheryl: :dance: You are going to :love: incorporating yoga positions into your workouts. (quiet Mel :D) It's just a beautiful way to bring down or increase your heart rate depending upon your needs as well as challenging you body in strength and flexibility in other ways. Ask her to teach you the pigeon pose. It's a GREAT hip opener.

http://images.teamsugar.com/files/upl1/1/12981/20_2008/crescent.jpg

There are levels to it but the below link is toward the end of the "evolution" :D Yoga Journal has some good instruction about getting started:

http://www.yogajournal.com/poses/863

Shoot, I even throw in child pose between my heavy squat sets so that I can refocus and stretch out my back a little. :)

Namaste :yoga: (still hoping to be able to do this but it ain't happening no matter how many candles I light.) :devil:

Shannon in ATL
09-10-2009, 05:56 PM
Mel - I'm sure the halter dress looked great, and the bumps and bruises are badges of honor! :)

Cheryl - I love sun salutations as well, and find myself using a lot of yoga poses in warm up and cool downs.

Lydia - I can't quite get myself into full pigeon, it was one I was working towards before I let my yoga decline. :yoga: <-- And it wouldn't matter what was lit in the room, that wouldn't work for me either. :)

I'm really feeling terrible so far today... I was trying to nap but everyone in the world called to check on me and they are still hammering on the shingles on the house behind me, so I'm up again. I feel like I've eaten everything in the house today, yet am still hungry. Tired of this already...

Mel
09-10-2009, 08:24 PM
Shannon, I read your post too quickly and though YOU said that YOU had shingles! I know several people who did have it this year and were miserable. So hopefully, you just got a cold and will feel better soon :hug:

:wave: lydia! Glad you are better. And even I have been doing some yoga. We incorporate a few minutes of it at the end of most CF sessions.

Cheryl- I still have never done the filthy fifty. today's suckiest exercise was mule kicks. Which I can't find on youtube.

Gotta go figure out where the electric outlets and lights should be in the new bathroom....

Mel

Shannon in ATL
09-10-2009, 08:50 PM
Mel - nope, I don't have shingles, just a bad cold. Or light flu, depending on who you ask - I have a low fever and my mom (an RN) is convinced it is the flu. I know two people who have had shingles this year though, and they were completely miserable... Yuck.

Cheryl - I didn't even see the Filthy Fifty reference in your post - enjoy it!

Lydia - glad you are over your cold! :)

Sacha - how do you bail out of a squat? Or I guess, the better question is how do you bail out of a squat without serious injury?

Birchie - I've seen some friends from high school recently who looked a lot older than they should. Makes me glad for some of the choices I've made in my life, particularly when it comes to things like tanning...

I think it is bedtime for me... Likely to stay home again tomorrow, probably an exercise free day again, unless this cough miraculously goes away before the morning.

Lydia227
09-10-2009, 09:59 PM
Shannon: Isn't silly how so many people try to call when you are sick to see how you are doing. Hope you have a restful night. I also get crazy hungry when I'm sick too. I think it's my body's way of revving up for the fight to beat whatever virus it is. Hopefully you will be symptom free soon.

So :chin: CrossFit is adding yoga to their cooldown. I like this...I really need to head over there. The cold kind of set me back. Also need to find care for DS while I visit the place. That involves a telephone and a calendar. I hate both of those things. :lol:

Mel
09-11-2009, 07:33 AM
gagh! I have a sore throat and headache. I think we are passing this around through the virtual ether, but it's real!

Wimpy cardio. Will try to do something at lunch.

Mel

nelie
09-11-2009, 09:39 AM
I was super sick on Wednesday. Yesterday was a lot better. Today, I just have a slightly sore throat and headache. I'm taking a trip (driving), was going to think about canceling but as long as I only have to deal with a slight sore throat and headache, I should be fine.

jamsk8r
09-11-2009, 09:59 PM
You people and your germs...that's going around my gym right now, too. Already had it, just getting over it.

Lydia, didn't check out the vids yet, but I have seen the pigeon pose. She showed my trainer that one a while back and he showed it to me. I'm not very good at it but it is a good stretch. Today's yoga class was good, painful, and of course, the CF goons were cracking jokes and not helping me achieve enlightenment, lol. Like the child pose, not the dog one at all, found out I can do a side plank...sweet!

Everybody else, :wave:! Hope you are all feeling better soon! :grouphug:

Today I really, really hoped for a max lifting day, since tomorrow we are doing the Filthy Fifty, but, no such luck:

5 Round of:
Run 300
9 Pull-ups
11 KB Swings (54#M/36#W)

I really, really wanted to try this one Rx'd for the pull-ups, but could not get the unassisted pull-ups going well in my warm-up. I did, however, go down from the pink band to the smallest band we have. I had to break up all my sets of pull-ups after the first one, but I actually did pretty well with the little band, and felt like I was getting better at stringing the kipping pull-ups together and keeping my momentum going. My time was 19:11, a little slow, but not too bad.

Tomorrow is the Filthy 50, plus Dave, whose birthday we are celebrating loves running the mile, so he wants to put in a mile run at the beginning and another mile at the end. I actually approve of that plan, at least the run at the end, as I feel it will be a good way to cool down and keep from cramping up. We'll see how enthused I am about it tomorrow, though. :lol3: ETA: looking at my time for that workout from Alena's bday (42 mins plus), I'm pretty sure the boss lady is going to nix the idea of the mile run(s), since that would tack 20 mins onto most everybody's time.

After that is gym cleaning, assuming I can stand up or lift anything heavier than my water bottle. I'll be hating on that place by the time I get done tomorrow. The fair opened today, so getting home from the gym today was an adventure. There are always a few hundred people driving around and around town, wasting $10 in gas to try and avoid paying $7 for all day parking in the lot. :frypan: This might be a good time to start riding my bike to the gym. :dizzy:

Shannon in ATL
09-12-2009, 01:01 PM
Good morning! Still sick today, but feeling better. Got a steroid shot yesterday at the doctor and that has helped some - was thinking about trying to exercise today or do some floor cleaning, DH is hanging out with a buddy, but every time I even walk up or down the stairs I gegt short of breath and start coughing... Blah...

Cheryl - my modified Filthy Fifty was 45+ minutes and I could barely stand up after, I can't imagine putting a mile on the end of it! Good luck with that!

Nelie - glad you are feeling better!

Mel, how are you feeling today? Not getting sick I hope...

Lydia - I have this feeling that I'll end up checking out the Crossfit near me soon, too...

Good day everyone!

Lydia227
09-12-2009, 04:00 PM
Cheryl: I want to try the filthy fifty on Monday morning. My question is do we do all 50 of one exercise before moving on to the next one. Or, is it broken up into five sets of ten before moving on to the next exercise. Etc.

I suppose I could do this any way I want to but just curious what the pattern is here.

Shannon in ATL
09-12-2009, 05:18 PM
Lydia - I don't know if I did it right or not, but I did all 50 of one before moving on to the next one... I did have to slow down and do five sets of ten on a couple, assisted chin ups for one.

jamsk8r
09-12-2009, 07:42 PM
Lydia, you do all 50 of one exercise before moving on to the next. You can break it up or rest as needed for each exercise, but with so many to do, the idea is to just get it over with, so if you can do 25 of something, like push press, do that, rest 10 or 20 seconds, and try to finish the set. Some things, you may only be able to do 3 at a time, or 10 at a time, so you do that. If you can only do 1 at a time, say the burpees at the end, then a good strategy is just to try and keep a steady pace going, even if it's a slow pace, and don't stop unless you're cramping up or something and have to walk it out. The idea is to keep going, to do the exercises in order, and just get the best time you can. If you break it up and go 10 box jumps, 10 jumping pull-ups, etc, 5 rounds, it's not the same workout, wouldn't be CF "legal", but would still kick your butt, I'm sure. Make sure you have a water bottle or two ready beforehand, and if your hands aren't used to high rep pull-ups or hanging from the bar for KTEs, you may want to wear gloves or do the gymnast style taping beforehand to protect them. Mine are pretty good, and they still were getting pretty beat up by the KTEs today.

Here's the CF report for today's Filthy Fifty at my gym, with the prescribed weights we used. Note that we had to sub good mornings for the usually prescribed back extensions, since our gym only has one GHD at this time.

Filthy Fifty
50 Box/Tire Jumps (I think 20" is prescribed, or 24"? we have 24" tractor tires)
50 Jumping Pull-ups (yes, jumping is prescribed..higher box to stand on=easier)
50 KB Swings (36#men/25#women)
50 Walking Lunges (trailing knee touches the floor each rep)
50 Knees to Elbows (hanging from pull-up bar)
50 Push Press (45# men/30# women)
50 Good Mornings (45# men/30# women)
50 Wall Ball (20#m/14#w)
50 Burpees (chest to floor, full hip extension and jump at top)
50 Double Unders (or 250 single jumps with jumprope)

*PS to Lydia or anybody else doing this on their own, these are the prescribed weights, so scale as needed for yourself...for example you might use a lighter medball for wall ball, just do knee raises instead of knees to elbows, or do the KTEs lying on the floor with bent arms (this is actually a good one, IMO), use DBs for push press and/or a DB for swings, and do knee push-ups for the burpees if needed...if you're not used to high reps like this, then you want to scale back the weights from what you can normally do, or you can even scale the reps down if needed. Don't hurt yourself, is all I'm saying!

I did an 800 meter slow run and some shoulder flexibility work and stretches, that was it for my warm-up. We nixed the runs since this is already a long workout. My time was 47:50. I'd hoped to do better, but the KTEs and Wall Ball slowed me way down, as I could do only 2 or 3 KTEs before dropping off the bar, and wallball was like, "1", "1", "1", lol. :faint:

We had to run 3 groups through the WOD today, so the gym wasn't clear until noon. I forgot my lunch today, so walked to the corner store for a chocolate milk and called that my PWO meal. Once everybody was out, my partner and I did our part of the gym cleaning, which wasn't too bad, but everything we had to move off the floor for cleaning felt about ten times heavier than normal. ;)

Mel
09-13-2009, 11:46 AM
That just sounds horrible. KTE's KILL my shoulders. Literally. I do about 2 and there are awful grinding sounds in my shoulders and searing pain. At this point, I just refuse to do them and sub some sort of other hard ab exercise.

I am exhausted today. We hosted what was supposed to be an outdoor neighborhood party on the spur of the moment because the evening was cool and rainy. There were a lot of messy eaters and drinkers and I'll be washing floors and attempting to steam clean the pinkish drink that was spilled on my off white living room rug :(

I ate and drank too much. :p

4rabbit
09-14-2009, 02:15 AM
Hi,

Rabbit checking in after 3 days of socialising...enough said. This is a new week.

Cheryl-that workout sounds extremely strenuous.
Mel -ouch on the shoulder description, and good luck with the cleaning & the reug.

Last week was reasonably OK as far as exercise goes: 4 x 30 mins bike ride, 1 hour power class, 1 hour cardio. I', trying to oget the same score this week./ problem is, with my energy problem I cannot scedule anything except work & sport on 1 day, so I have to plan fairly rigourously to get the rest of my life in as well. Else, since work brings in the money, I have to go with work & whatever other necessity, so it is a challenge to juggle the three.

Today I have planned to go to power class.
have a great day all,
rabbit

sacha
09-14-2009, 10:45 AM
Sacha - how do you bail out of a squat? Or I guess, the better question is how do you bail out of a squat without serious injury?

You smash a door! Seriously. It's OK, DH had to do the same thing the day before so it was already broken.

Basically, you let the bar and weights (I think I was at 115lbs?) roll off your back and crash onto the floor. We have rubber plates so it doesn't damage them. I hate doing it but if you do it properly, it can be safe. There are some techniques to it (I have a video that teaches you how to do it).

jamsk8r, YOU ARE A MACHINE!

Today is a rest day.
Yesterday:
Sep 13:
1 hour weights
Squats 45lbsx5x2,75lbsx5x1,95lbsx5x1,115x5lb,110lbsx3,100 lbx3 (ham pain, stopped)
Military Press 20lbsx5x2,35lbsx5,50lbsx3/45lbsx5x5
Power Cleans 45lbsx5x2 (Hang Cleans), 75lbx5x5x5

Lydia227
09-14-2009, 12:03 PM
Shannon and Cheryl: Thanks so much for the details. Oh, and I'll be careful. PROMISE!

I thought it may be that I needed to finish 50 of each before moving on but wanted to check. Great tips about the KTE exercise. I'm excited to try it suspended first just to see if I can do it. However, I'm also keeping Mel's condition in mind and doing this with caution. The moment I feel anything suspicious I'm on the floor.

Today's workout has been postponed until...THURSDAY! Grrrr.

DH has requested that all painting be finished before he comes back for the weekend. He hates fumes. Poor thing. :rolleyes:

Mel: Good luck cleaning up from that party. A neighborhood party moved indoors...you are a saint! Hope your feeling better by this afternoon.

Enjoy the afternoon everyone. :sunny:

Shannon in ATL
09-14-2009, 03:25 PM
Argh... still feeling fuzzy headed, flipping between freezing and hot... Light headed when I stand up, scratchy throat, ears all stuffed up. Ick. I have this vague idea that exercise will make me feel better, but I imagine sleep would be even better than that. Note to self - codeine keeps me awake and makes me feel gross... I'm thinking workout is off the table again today... I am at work, though. Progress I guess... I'm getting closer to that rest week by the day...

Lydia - I hate paint fumes, too - we hired people to paint our house between closing and move in.

Mel - hope you got your house back in order, and the mess out of your rug!

Sacha - I bought a squat rack for my garage, if it ever actually ships... I'll have to check out the videos for bailout techniques - I'm positive I'll need them...

Rabbit - good job on the workouts last week!

Cheryl - good job on the 50!

jamsk8r
09-14-2009, 03:33 PM
Lydia, I forgot to say, a good way to do the KTEs on the bar is to use a box to stand on, at a height where just can barely touch the bar, but not get a grip without a little "hop" up in the air. That way, you can hop up, do a few, drop onto the box, but you have enough clearance to swing your legs through without hitting the top of the box. If you set the box height for your KTEs first, then usually just sticking a bumper plate or two on top of that will give you a good height for your jumping pull-ups...makes for a simple transition in this workout, just dump the plates off the box when you come back to do your KTEs. Have fun with it! :lol3:

Rabbit, when I first read your post, I thought you were saying that was the workout for ONE day...I'm like, "whoa! 4x30 on the bike???!!!" lol. Great job on the workouts this past week!

Sacha, thanks for the rundown on one of your workouts. That's strong on the cleans, for 5x5...impressive!

Mel, good luck with the rug cleaning.

The CF Report is below:
---------

Got hit with the DOMS today, from Saturday's workout. Took about 15 mins of persuasive stretching, after my morning run, to convince my hamstrings to cooperate so I could even do my warm-up squats. Today's workout was a fun little recovery metcon:

Run 300 meters
Push Press (95#men/65#women)
(3 rounds for time)

I decided to go with the 65# Rx'd weight today, up from my usual 55# for similar reps. Going out to run on the second round, I realized Sara was right in front of me. She and I like to battle it out in the workouts, since we're always really close for time and weights used. I passed her on the run and was talking smack, lol, so then it was on! Third round, she was out the door ahead of me again, I blitzed her on the run, but those heavier push presses were just crushing me today. I got through six on the last round and had to drop the bar. Caught a few breaths and just pushed through the last 9 reps without stopping, but Sara beat me by 7 seconds... :faint: I crawled over to where she was lying on the floor, so we could do the secret handshake, then we both died for a few minutes. I love these workouts, since they just kill me, but only for a few minutes, then you're okay, and it loosens me up so I can get through the day a little less sore than when I woke up!

ETA: Shannon, :wave:! If you have a squat rack, you can just set the safety bars a little lower than you normally squat, then if you have to bail, you just sit down, the bars will catch it. It's not a graceful move, but it's NBD. Practice with a lighter weight, so you get a feel for it, then you will know what to do with a heavier weight when the time comes.

Shannon in ATL
09-14-2009, 03:39 PM
I bought ab strabs for my pullup bar and have to do most of my KTEs with the straps... it kills my elbows trying to do all of them hanging with my arms extended...

4rabbit
09-15-2009, 06:48 AM
Cheryl - actually the biking is 2x 30 mins biking to and from work. I am trying to get myself to get used to biking to and from work in order to slip some more exercise into my full week. Transit is about 15 mins by car, but in winter this is more, so going by bike does not consume all that more time.

With all this talk about KTE I am reminded to put up that bar...I still have to solve that issue.

Workouts sofar; biked to work today & yesterday , went to power yesterday, might try and catch a TV show on the elliptical today.

I have noticed that with 3.5 hrs of exercise per week I tend to maintain, 6 - 7 hrs I loose, and no exercise I gain. So that is my new goal: get to put in 6 hours per week.

Have a great day all,
rabbit

Mel
09-15-2009, 07:23 AM
Shannon- I use ab straps for the KTE's when I remember to bring them.

My legs are nicely sore from an old school leg session yesterday. squats, dead lifts and presses, with a few lunges thrown in. Tonight I'll do cross fit. They've changed their evening schedule and it's messing me up.

Cardio done, despite the cardio thread (great info, but I know what works for me).

Have a good one!

Mel

jamsk8r
09-15-2009, 10:13 AM
Rabbit, that is great, about riding to work. Do you ride in the rain or snow? I'm wondering what is good to wear for that, that would protect my clothing from the "tire splash stripe" but not be too hot and uncomfortable. Interesting observation on the exercise.

Shannon, good idea with the straps...I forgot about those.

Mel, did you get your house rescued from the impromptu party? Good luck with the new CF schedule.

Today after the gym, I'm taking my boy to the fair. He's looking forward to it. I'm just thinking, "wear comfortable shoes, take my own food.." lol. It's always fun looking around the buildings and seeing the animals, though.

Shannon in ATL
09-15-2009, 02:49 PM
Okay guys, serious question here. I'm still coughing when I breathe deeply, my ears are congested and I feel like my head is moving a little slower than normal. When I stand up too fast I get a little light headed. Should I wait on exercise until the inner ear thing clears up? And, should I go to the doctor again?

Cheryl - enjoy the fair. It is storming here, hope it isn't where you are!

Lydia227
09-15-2009, 03:35 PM
Boy Shannon, you really got hit hard by this thing. I would not workout if I felt this bad. Your body is still fighting this off and needs to expend it's energy in that way. If you push yourself it may only extend the "life" of your cold. Blech.

Secondly, I wouldn't lift if I felt dizzy. Way. To. Dangerous. That's the kind of instability training I would rather stay away from. :s: Seeing the doc again, :dunno: I am not a good one to comment on that. I usually have to be sick enough to be admitted before I go in for a script unless I know it's bacterial.

Good luck :hug: Get some rest and lots of fluids. How's DH doing too? Wasn't he symptomatic first? Might give you some kind of idea of the cold/flu's progression.

Shannon in ATL
09-15-2009, 03:49 PM
Lydia - DH showed symptoms before me, but ours seem to be running a slightly different course. He started with sore throat on Monday, was sick for the better part of the week and back mostly okay by Friday evening. He didn't have the same light headed and coughing I've been having, which is odd as he has asthma... That could be because he already takes some pretty potent drugs every day for the asthma that would have treated some of these congestion symptoms... I started to feel symptoms last Tuesday, I'm already at two days past him and I got a steroid shot on Friday. Blech. I did get re-exposed to DSS running a fever on Sunday so I might have re-upped my illness duration at the same time... I don't get sick nearly as often as I used to, but I'm noticing things hit me harder than in the past.

yeah, no lifting with the dizziness. I'm less than coordinated on my best days. :)

Mel
09-15-2009, 09:04 PM
:hug: Shannon! Sounds dreadful. Just get healthy. Dizzy and weights don't mix.

Tonight I met "Angie" for the first time at CF. Angie and I are not going to be best friends! (Cross Fit workouts are named for women or "heros".)

Angie:

100 pull ups
100 push ups
100 sit ups
100 body weight squats (deep)

:crazy:

Yup, you read it right. I used a band for the pull ups and had to stop at least 4 times. I thought blood was going to spontaneously spurt out of my forearms and was losing my grip on the pull up bar. During the push ups, somewhere near 65-ish, I had a searing, stabbing headache and thought I was having an aneurysm. The sit ups were just unpleasant. And that's a LOT of squats...especially on sore hamstrings and glutes!!!

We had a new couple show up and I realized that I knew the woman. Our husbands (her ex) worked together 25 years ago! We had played racquetball a few times, and been friends, but lost touch over the years. The world is full of coincidences :)

I don't think she liked Angie much either :lol:

Mel

jamsk8r
09-15-2009, 10:14 PM
Mel, I haven't had to do Angie yet. Sounds like a suckfest to me! We're having a recovery/rest week at my gym, with shorter workouts. Makes me wonder what evils they have planned for next Monday. I fear we may be up for a round of hero wods once a week, now that we've finished the "monday girl" thing.

The fair sucked the life out of me. :faint: I'm always exhausted after walking the fair all day. It's only just after seven pm, but I feel ready to sleep right now.

4rabbit
09-16-2009, 04:17 AM
Hi ladies,

Shannon - sounds nasty to me. I would take rest rest & rest to give the body time to clear it up. Do not work out & stay in bed for a couple of days. Cannnot comment on a visit to the doctor, like Lydia - typically when I call in a doctor they diagnose pneumonia.

Mel - Angie sounds evil to me.

Cheryl - Everyone bikes in this country, it is very flat overhere. So yes, also in rain and snow. My kids have to bike 3 miles to and 3 miles from school, and lots of my colleagues bike to work. I'm considered a bit of a whimp because I use an electrical assisted bike to do my 7 miles one way trip to work. And we just wear raingear in the rain and bundle up in snow. It helps of course that we do not have much snow and that the bike lanes are also cleared from snow just like the car lanes. We have a lot of bike lanes, in fact on my 7 mile trip to work I have bike lanes all the way except for the 0.5 mile in my own village.

Elliptical did not happen yesterday. I'm now on 3 hours for this week.

Have a great day all,
rabbit

elisa822
09-16-2009, 08:06 AM
Good morning!

Just reading about how sick everyone is made me just go take 1000mg of Vitamin C! Really though, everywhere I go, people are sick. Most just have a bad cold but a few people have a fever too. I'm trying so hard to stay healthy. I'm usually not a germ-phobe at all but I seem to be washing my hands all the time. Maybe I'll even turn into one of those people with the hand sanitizer on their desks.

rabbit - I'm envious of the biking! I'd love to bike everywhere but here, it's a dangerous way to get to/from work. Even though lots of people do, there's too many crazy drivers and I would be scared.

The weather here has been so beautiful lately that it almost makes up for the horrible July we had! I'm trying to squeeze in the runs while I still can, since I'm a wimp about the cold temperatures!

Nothing too exciting for me...just plugging along and fighting the fight.

I hope everyone feels better soon.

Lydia227
09-16-2009, 11:59 AM
Mel: What a horrible workout for a new CrossFitter to walk into. OMG. I'd see that and think man someone in programming was feeling awefully lazy and is throwing what at me...mostly because the idea of 100 pullups sounds very demotivating for me. blech.

Cheryl: The fresh air can knock a lot out of you. Hope you feel rested today. And good luck Monday. :lol:

Elisa: Nice to see you. :wave: I'm about doing the same here. Nothing excited to report really, just plugging along.

I'm still painting here by the way. Had the girlfriends here this morning for a backyard workout. (DS2 had early release from school today so I didn't have time to make it to the gym and opened up my backyard and workout "toys" to two other moms as well. Which was a blast until the yard guys showed up for my neighbors yard right beside me. :rolleyes:)

The red that's going up on an accent wall of the kitchen has received the "Girlfriend Seal of Approval". I just need to GET IT DONE. Too many little kid interruptions. (There's a time for growing grass and a time for growing children... which is my motto but right now I'm stuck somewhere in between. :dizzy:)

Anyway, hoping by tomorrow I'm able to get back in the gym with a completed paint job in the kitchen and moving forward.

By the way, it's an amazingly beautiful morning here today. Great for the impromptu yoga the girlfriends and I jumped into outdoors this morning. If you have nice weather today get out there and enjoy it for a while. :sunny:

WaterRat
09-16-2009, 02:13 PM
Hi there :wave: I'm back from my trip and deeply immersed in next year's budgets for work.

I haven't been to the gym yet, and refuse to weigh for at least another day, as I spent 10 hours on a plane on Monday....

Didn't get to do much lifting while I was away and I'm antsy to get back to it - probably tomorrow morning. At least there are now groceries in my house. I'm not sure what DH ate but there were no veggies and very little fruit. :)

I'm loving reading about everyone's workouts - sounds like you're all doing great! What I'm not loving is this cyber illness that's going around. I don't want it! :lol: I'm scheduled to have a flu shot next week - compliments of the Senior Center (it does help to be old in this instance) and I think I'm scheduled for pneumonia shot as well (they're every 5-6 years) since I have an immuno-compromised DH.

I had a great trip and lots of quality time with my sister as well as DH's brother and wife and a college friend. Weather was fantastic - warm and sunny without being hot. It amazed me though that much of the food I was served at people's home did not include much in the way of fruit/veggies! My college friend was better, and actually I did the best at restaurants! I don't know if this is just my family, or an east coast thing. I did go in a few stores and the produce selection was sooo much better than what I get (never mind that the prices were about 1/2 of mine). Almost - but not quite - enough for me to move back. :lol:

Can't possibly catch up with everyone, so I'm just jumping in....

jamsk8r
09-16-2009, 03:55 PM
Lydia, I hear you, smartaleck! :lol: I was still dragging this morning, during the workout, but I'm sure that's not at all related to that slice of cherry pie I had at the fair. (what's the smiley for me looking innocent?) It was worth it, is all I'm saying!

Rabbit, thanks for the biking info. My ride to the gym would be 7 miles each way, and I must be a wimp, because I'm worried I wouldn't make it home without walking, lol. It's not bad on the way there, but on the way back is a killer long hill. Pretty sure I'd be walking that one for the first few hundred trips. :faint: That's cool that you have all those bike paths. Like Elisa, my route to the gym would be a little more daring than that, since there's not really a bike lane, just have to stick to the edge of the road and hope the crazies don't run you down. :brr: Bikes are supposed to have use of the road and the same rights as cars, as long as you're not on a freeway or something, but most drivers don't know or respect that here.

ETA: Hey Pat! :wave: Glad you enjoyed your trip and are home safe. I missed your post earlier, since I didn't realize there was another page to the thread. :D

The CF Report follows:
-----------

Today's WOD:
5 Round for time of:
10 Push-ups
15 AbMat Sit-ups
Run 300 meters

That piece of pie really slowed me down. Or it might have been the corndog, but they were the batter dipped ones! 15:38, and after round 2 I just had to do as many "toes" push-ups as possible, then switch to push-ups from my knees, just so I wouldn't be there all freaking day! This is why I don't eat those kinds of carbs, right? I'm all bloaty and tired...bleh! :frypan:

nelie
09-16-2009, 04:08 PM
I did my first night of karate last night. Way too much fun. I'm sore today. I did a little practice this morning but found my shoulders/upper back were a bit too sore to do much.

WaterRat
09-16-2009, 06:46 PM
Silver (and midwife), I wanted to tell you that I love Val McDermid, and was surprised when you said she was only 50!! Totally looks older. I've just spent 2 weeks with my sister who is 19 months younger than me, and had a number of people ask me how much younger I was than her - whoops! Now she used to be a smoker, which certainly ages you, and she was nearly 300 lbs at one time (had a lap band, and then a part of her stomach removed with complications from the LB) and now probably weighs about 185, but is totally not in shape. Anyway, here's me, and when I have my photos downloaded from vacation I'll show you her. Hmmm, I should wait and post us together, but nah.... This is from formal night on my cruise in June/July. Looks off balance because I cropped out the other person in the photo.

http://i61.photobucket.com/albums/h59/pkilmain/th_BevPatCruise-1.jpg (http://s61.photobucket.com/albums/h59/pkilmain/?action=view&current=BevPatCruise-1.jpg)

Mel
09-17-2009, 07:34 AM
I agree, she looks WAY older than 50! I was also surprised when I saw her pictures. This really is the point at which lifestyle choices (and genetics) catch up with people.

Welcome back, Pat!

Nelie- Glad you enjoyed karate! You always find new paths to staying active :)

CF report:
sumo deadlifts 5,5,3,3 I maxed at 205

WOD:
15 kettle bell wood chops per side
10 plyo box jumps
5 sumo deadlifts at 75% of previous determined max (wish I hadn't tried quite so hard!)

5 rounds for time.

I did respectably, but from now on I'm going to position myself near someone who is as fast or faster/strong than I am. I need the competitive push!

I sore from that previous mentioned &%*$^ Angie!

Have a good one and stay healthy!

silverbirch
09-17-2009, 07:59 AM
Val is 53 or 54 but all the same. Lifestyle choices and genetics, eh? They happen to the best of us! Just have to do the best we can.

Still here but builders are wearing me down. How are you doing, Mel? Yours must have finished.

Got to the gymn 5 out of 5 last week. Am 4 out of 4 this week. As they say over in the Beck thread, CREDIT moi. (May have to borrow that.)

Food not very good. I'm tearing about too much.

:wave: to all. Shannon, have been sending you virtual hot whiskys and hot water bottles. You've got a nasty dose of something.

Must stumble off now to choose an outside light. Calorie-free, of course.

Have a good day, all.

jamsk8r
09-17-2009, 10:54 AM
Birch, ditto on the running around and the less than stellar food. I'm feeling a bit rough around the edges, since I didn't get my Sunday off, either, and this coming weekend is looking like more of the same. I need to take control of my schedule, apparently, and stop jumping for everybody's emergencies. :frypan: Well, at least it's paying jobs I'm jumping for!

Mel, I think you're right on that. I notice that I get my best times when I'm chasing people that are faster than I am, or going with somebody who is about even with me...from the ones that are way faster than me, I learn that I can move as fast as they can, I just can't keep it up for the whole workout like they can. That gives me hope, though, that I can eventually catch them, or at least improve greatly, when I build up some endurance.

Speaking of, I'd better get dogs taken care of and head to the gym.

ETA: scratch the gym. I called my trainer, to see if either today or tomorrow morning would be a good day to miss, just so I could have a few hours at home to catch up on this disaster, and he said today would be best. They're just running 2 miles today, and I can do that either some time today, or save it and use it in my warm-up tomorrow morning. I'm thinking tomorrow morning, just because then I'm sure to be running the same distance as everybody else, since everything we do is timed. Yeah, that sounds like a plan. I'm setting a bunch of fence posts today, so I don't think I'll be hurting for exercise. :lol:

4rabbit
09-17-2009, 02:29 PM
Hi ladies,

Birch, cheryl - I'm there on the less than stellar choices. nonetherless...credit moi, as birch says, since I went mto the gym and put in my hour of the day.

Cheryl - putting in fenceposts would count as a workout for me

I'll have to go back and look at that picture of Val mcdermick...

have a great day,
rabbit

Shannon in ATL
09-17-2009, 03:31 PM
Hi all...
No exercise so far this week... I planned to try yesterday, but by the time I got home I was exhausted and fell asleep for two hours. After that my head and ears were stopped up and the coughing bug came back, so I tabled it. Don't think today will be any better. Argh. I just want to be well again... :( DSS tonight so not likely to exercise, and not likely to sleep much.

Cheryl - putting in fence posts is definitely a workout...

Birch - thanks for the virtual hot whiskeys! If only I had a real one here at work I might be more productive! :) Are your builders almost finished? It sure seems like you have had stuff going on forever!

Mel - how goes the closet? I think following someone who is a little faster is a good motivation on things like CF... I would be the one following you and Cheryl... if I ever get better. :)

Pat - great pic! Glad you are back!

Nelie - ooo... karate. Sounds like fun.

Rabbit - I would love to be able to bike around here more, but there is no way... I don't even feel comfortable running on the sidewalks, I always go to the park. I have a friend in London who bikes to work and back every day rain or shine. Sounds lovely. :)

Lydia - how is the painting going?

Elisa - I have a bottle of hand sanitizer on my desk, for all the good it did me... and clorox wipes, and lysol spray...

On the upside, my weight is holding well with the sickness. I carried a lot of water last week from the meds and the junk food but I'm pretty much back to normal the last few days.

Good day everyone!

Mel
09-17-2009, 08:23 PM
Birch, builders are still here, too. We are doing a complete renovation of the master bath and the closet just had to be emptied out because it would get full of dust and a linen closet was being incorporated into the main closet. It's really getting to me, too. My clothes are in 3 different rooms, and this weekend my dd is visiting with her bf, so we'll all be sharing the hall bath and I'll be darting in and out of her room to find my clothes. Luckily, I think it's just mostly my work clothes that are in her room. My new shower is going to be HUGE! All the drywall and wonderboard went up today. The spackling starts tomorrow. Oh joy, looking forward to dust. Actually, they are doing a stellar job of keeping it all sealed up, but drywall dust seems to find it's way everywhere no matter how careful you are.

Tonight's CF was again brutal. I really like to lift heavy stuff, but this was another endurance-agility fest.

As many rounds as possible in 30 minutes:
10 medicine ball cleans
10 push ups
in-out W's on an agility ladder
in out laterally on an agility ladder
5 lateral jumps to the left over paralettes
5 lateral jumps to the right over paralettes
bear crawl about 30 feet
10 sit ups

and do it again...and again...and again!

I was pacing a 17 year old who was flying and managed to keep up (Cheryl- it really does work!) but she had to leave at the 20 minute mark and even though I tried not to, I slowed down with no one to pace.

Shannon- have you been to a doc yet? Sounds like you are getting sicker!

:wave: Elisa! How are you doing?

I still think Val looks old for her age. I was 55 last week :p and I admit the hair dye helps, and maybe I'm delusional, but I think she looks at least 10 years older than me. OK, I'm delusional for sure :lol: But she's a better writer.

Mel

4rabbit
09-18-2009, 03:55 AM
Hi ladies,

ow are you all? Shannon, I hope you are feeling better !

I'm sitting on the couch, feeling woozy. I went to get bloodwork done this morning, and I'm feeling the loss of the blood samples. My weight has gone up fast in the past months, and I'm tired and itching all over...time for a checkup. On the one hand I hope it's nothing, on the other hand I would love something that made me feel better. We'll see how the bloodwork turns out.

Silverbirch, Pat, Mel - I checked out the pictures of ValMcdermick. Incredible that she is only 4 years my senior. I agree with Mel that the hairdye helps a lot, but I think dress also has a lot to do with it. I still do not consider myself old enough to go for the classic middle age look, and I hate it that I do not fit into the clothes I inherited from my 13 yr old niece anymore.

Makers me all the more aware of the importance of taking good care of myself.

Have a great day all,
rabbit

silverbirch
09-18-2009, 08:56 AM
Cheryl

feeling a bit rough around the edges

Exactly. Couldn't have put it better myself. I fell asleep in the library yesterday (we'd gone there after school because the house is being rewired - new legislation means this has to happen in cronky old houses if electrical work is being undertaken). But paying jobs - that is Good News. I am very much in favour of paying jobs!

Shannon - feeling a bit better today? The builders have been with us for a month. They are more than on schedule but we only have a small house ... Re hand sanitiser, etc: could you have been too clean??

Mel - good luck with it all. Wonderboard and spackling! Have I ever told you that one of my main reasons for joining 3FC was to learn American from Americans? I'll go off and see if I can find a translation. OK. Wonderboard is a backing for ceramic tiles. Spackling - sort of Polyfilla (we use that as a generic word here). Thank you!

Rabbit - so nice to see you. You feel so close in the Netherlands compared with way across the Atlantic and the world! I did a lot of biking when I was at Cambridge (which, as you know, is practically in the Low Countries).

Nelie - gosh, karate!

Hullo Elisa and Lydia!

Pat - nice picture!

Here's a pic of me taken at a waterfall down the road about 10 days ago. Not quite a fountain of youth but lovely all the same. I am pretending not to be able to hear.

4rabbit
09-18-2009, 09:29 AM
Birch - NO WAY can you be the same age as valmcdermick!!!! You look ages better!!!Agree on the amzing american language, thanks for the subtitles! and what do you mean by the low countries? I'm in the south! We are a full 6 m above sealevel here! I guess from the picture that there is more than 6 m height difference just in that waterfall down the road in Wales.

Rabbit

silverbirch
09-18-2009, 09:59 AM
Thank you, rabbit!

6 metres, eh? That's pretty good going! We do have a few hills & mountains a bit higher
than that here, I suppose. Now I think about it. But you can do a lot of damage with 6 metres, if you know how!!

WaterRat
09-18-2009, 01:19 PM
Silver and Rabbit, you guys are funny! :lol: DH and I had a good time figuring stuff out when we were in the UK. Spent a couple of hours in a huge Tesco in Chester gawking at all the different foods that we don't have. Then we had some serious cheese envy.... Some locals pegged us as tourists (not hard) and grilled us about places in the US they were scheduled to visit. One thing that has always amazed me is the difference in what Brits call flapjacks and what Americans do. Yours are like bars and ours are pancakes!

Loved the photo Silver - it's nice to have a face to go with the "voice" :)

Yesterday's "exercise" was getting the majority of the leaves off the lawn. It's a nasty job, but I'll be happy in the spring when I don't have mats of wet leaves covering my grass. DH did the first pass while I was away, and this was the second. THere's still a lot of leaves on the trees so I suspect we'll do it at least once more. Tonight we'll be back square dancing after a 3 week hiatus.

Tomorrow I hope to be at the gym early in the morning, and I'm not sure what will happen on Sunday. Church is at 10:30 and then I have tickets to see a local produduction of Carousel at 2, and that won't be over til after 5 pm. It'll have to be something at home as the gym isn't open that late on Sundays.

Have a great Friday. :wave:

Mel
09-18-2009, 02:48 PM
Leaves???? too early for leaves!

while we are adding pictures... The one in the dress was taken at my son's graduation this summer, the one at the gym was taken last year.

jamsk8r
09-18-2009, 04:04 PM
Great pics, everybody! I read all the posts, too, but have a client on the way, and need to make this a quickie.

Workout sucked today, not the workout, just me. I got "stuck" on the OH squats and couldn't do them. My trainer came over and told me what to do to fix it, but I still lost about 4 mins just on that crapola. Afterward, my trainer said a big thing is that my lats are tight and pulling my arm down/forward...I suspect that is what is happening on my kipping pullups, as well, when I can't seem to swing through, like my shoulders just stop me, bang, like hitting a wall. More shoulder ROM and flexibility needed! The main thing today, though, was that I've been eating carbs here and there, telling myself it's okay because I'm busy, I've been working all day, yadayada...but then it slows me down and I feel like crap. Anyway, that workout this morning cured me...I'm 100% on plan today, and to heck with being slow! Gotta run, my peeps is here!

Shannon in ATL
09-18-2009, 08:22 PM
Great pics everyone! :)

Made it to a workout today! Woo hoo! Did a DB workout from Women's Health (was supposed to do two rounds of the eight exercises, but only did one) and then did 45 mins on the elliptical. Figured I would keep the DB part a little lower key since it was the first day back. Feel pretty good, we'll see how tomorrow is. :)

Going to visit my parents tomorrow - dad had hernia repair surgery today and is home recovering. DH & I are going to take him BluRay videos and ice cream for his convalescence.

Good day all!

4rabbit
09-19-2009, 04:27 AM
morning all,

Mel - great pics! Same comment wrt the ValMcD photos: you look like 10 yrs younger!

Birch - yeah, you can do a lot of damage in 6 meters. Actually it is 12 m height differencce over about 150 km (1.5 hr drive) to real lowlands at the the coast. They are 6 m below seal level.

Shannon- glad you are feeling better

Got a scare yesterday for feeling absolutely lousy with the bloodsamples taken for bloodwork. Also, the scale is highest ever, so I'm recommitting for the umteeth time. I cannot imagine what I would look like if I did nothing altogether. Anyway, my new plan is put exercise in as a top priority, and put in 7 hrs a week. This need not be stellar, doing cardio while watching Tv, biking to work, these things count. Besides that, I'll be tallying my food intake. I think the doc results will show that I am not ill but need to loose some weight. I put in a new tracker, and I'll have 2 more hours to put in this week.

have a great day all,
Rabbit

jamsk8r
09-19-2009, 11:44 AM
Shannon, glad you're finally feeling up to some workouts. :hug: Hope your dad's recovery goes well!

Rabbit, you've been doing well with the exercise, so I'm sure you'll pull off the last 2 hours this week! I'm relating on how you're feeling. I did great yesterday until my sister brought fast food for dinner last night. I ate a chicken sandwich which probably didn't contain that much chicken, then felt like crap afterward, just because I wished I'd waited until I got home to make some real food. Well, try, try again, right? I was weak yesterday and bought a loaf of this evil apple streudel bread from Costco. This morning, I fed it to the chickens, just so there was no possibility of me actually eating it. :lol3:

I'm off to the gym today, for a workout, then staying after to clean. I'm packing my own lunch for after the workout. I didn't get a chance to cook up the turkey yet, but I have a few of those egg cupcake things left (they're like quiche, minus the dairy and the crust), and I think I'll take a yogurt. That should get me through the cleaning job and back home again. All I need is one clean eating day, no bad carbs, and the cravings will be gone. I can be strong for one day!

midwife
09-19-2009, 04:56 PM
Cheryl, I'm going for a clean eats day too. I wish I had chickens to feed some of the sweet stuff at my house to. Way to go!!! :chicken:

jamsk8r
09-19-2009, 07:08 PM
Hey Midwife, they are handy for cleaning the science experiments out of the fridge, too. My sisters bring me all their wilted salad greens and such, too, for the chickens. Plus, they lay eggs, which is a bonus!

The CF Report:
Well, today was an easy one, for a Saturday. They must be planning to KILL us Monday...:brr: :fr:

AMRAP (as many rounds as possible) in 10 mins, of:
5 Pull-ups
10 Deadlifts (185#m/135#w)
15 Squats (air/bodyweight)

I got 4 complete rounds, plus the pull-ups and 1 deadlift, or "4+5+1". My two buds were there today, that like to "battle" with me, and they pretty much stomped my old butt into the ground, but I did use more weight than they did, so I get a few points for that. ;)

Afterward, some of us stayed after to do some Strongman stone loading. I got the 100 lb and 135 lb stones loaded onto the platform, but once again, the 155 did not want to come off the ground. I did get it about 5 or 6 inches off the ground this time, as opposed to about 1 inch last time, lol, but still not good enough to get it past my knees. Must get more buffness and try again later!

My partner on the cleaning crew didn't show today, so I ended up doing part of the cleaning job, then came home to let dogs out and do a few things here. Still have to go back to the gym tonight to finish vacuuming and wiping down.

:wave: to everybody! Hope you're enjoying the weekend! :wave:

4rabbit
09-20-2009, 06:12 AM
Hi ladies,

Cheryl - sounds like you did an awesome workout. Thnx for the encouragement.

I put in 1 hr 45 mins sofar today, so I need only 15 mins more, which I can slip in on the elliptical watching TV sometime today. So I'll probably make my goal this week.

Next week: monday is taken care off, 1 hr power. Tuesday & wednesday I cannot bike to work, so I'll have to do some alternative at home.

As for craving...the moment I start exercising again I crave sugar. I guess my body is yelling inside "I'm not going to burn this fat, give me SUGAR!". So, thinking of you all...this is over after the first couple of days right? I'm going to make a pot of tea & wait 30 minutes to get the message through that I just had breakfast & will not eat more. DS is getting into the workout thing as well, so I'll put some of my lifting stuff on the landing so he'll have some access to them as well.

Time to get going,
have a great weekend all,
Rabbit

jamsk8r
09-20-2009, 12:30 PM
Rabbit, for me, it's the grains that give me those cravings, usually breads and cereals are the worst. I also avoid high sodium foods, because some of those give me a craving for more of the same, plus I hate bloating up with all that water weight. Those kinds of cravings take about a day to go away for me, but only if I keep away from them for an entire day. I finally did keep the eating clean yesterday, and feel back to normal this morning. :carrot: Mainly, if I can stick with meat/fish, low GI veggies, fats, and keep the fruit reasonable (like 2 servings a day), then I feel good, and don't feel like I'm riding the sugar rollercoaster all day. That's just how it works for me...not sure if others have had the same experience. WTG on the exercise this past week...I knew you could do it!

Today is rest day from the CF gym, but my sister is moving, so I'll be helping with that, and/or working on her fence today, so I'll still be getting my exercise. Tomorrow will be a normal day, thankfully. It will be a relief to just go to the gym and come home, with no place else to be and no appointments. It's been a long week and I've hardly seen my boy for all the running around I've had to do!

elisa822
09-20-2009, 08:55 PM
Ugh…yup, feeling a bit ugh. It was the Jewish New Year this weekend and what does that mean? Yes, you guessed it…too much food. Delicious food, but way too much of it. And I seriously need some therapy ;) I need to know how to know get sooo upset when I eat too much. I splurge on regular occasions, but try to keep it to one meal or one day, at the most. When it goes into two or three days, I just feel so blah about it. I know I can get back on track, I always do but my question of the day is “how do you all deal with putting on a few pounds?” Am I the only one who goes up and down a few pounds on a regular basis.

I have nothing on the schedule this week for meals out, so I’m going to try for a totally clean food week and definitely more time at the gym!

:wave: to you too Mel!

I love everyone's pictures! If I get up the nerve and can figure out how, maybe I'll add one too. ETA...okay, figured it out! The pictures are from my recent trip to NY. The first one is my birthday dinner (you see the food problems now!! ;) And the second one is one of our favourite spots in Central Park

Thanks to everyone here for the usual inspiration that I always need. I'm ready to start my week off on a good foot tomorrow.

jamsk8r
09-21-2009, 01:41 AM
Food porn...ack! :lol3: Elisa, you look great in your pic! Beautiful part of the park, too! Good luck with cleaning up the eating. Just went through detox myself, and feel much, much better today!

4rabbit
09-21-2009, 06:36 AM
Elisa - great pic! I don't deal too well with going up the occasional pound...they accumulate. I read the "theory of adherence" over at maintainers...basically if yopu don't get if off immediately the extra weight sticks. I agree with that...once I get used to seeing the higher number on the scale the motivation to get it away is gone and it will stick.

I got my goal for 7 hrd of exercise last week, and I'm starting my tracker again for this week. Today, 1 hr powerclass is sceduled.

Have a great ay all,
rabbit

Mel
09-21-2009, 07:42 AM
Great pic, Elisa. Both of them ;)

I've had an tough food 3 weeks. Anniversary, birthday, party, Jewish New Year...to many excuses. I usually can get right back on track, but the have been soooo many derailments in the last 3 weeks! Everything is tight again and I feel like a tank. For me, the exercise rarely falls apart, but I wish I could say the same about food. When I was losing in the first place, I had a laser-like focus. Somewhere along the line, that laser dimmed. I need a tune-up!

Today will be clean eats.

Leg day :)

Mel

jamsk8r
09-21-2009, 10:23 AM
September must be the month of evil food temptations. Yesterday at my sister's (she was moving), they had pizzas delivered. Luckily, I had just gotten my first clean day in, so I wasn't even going there! (phew!)

My gym is starting up a new session of CFKids classes today. They just announced that they'll be covering the fundamentals of Crossfit movements. I think I will put my boy in the class. I'm going to try and see if I can afford the gas to still train in the mornings (since I like mornings), and still take my boy to the kids' class 3 afternoons a week. The class is only 6 weeks long, and they're doing a pumpkin carving party at the end. I think he would like that, after I drag him into the gym kicking and screaming (lol). Normally, socialization is not a problem with this kid, but this year he's had some trouble with some of his friends turning into teenagers, being disrespectful to their parents or just plain crude, and he's not into that. I think it would do him good to meet some kids that have a good attitude, and it will give him some good exercise and something to focus on, besides his current obsession with the World of Warcraft online game. Anyway, I'll break the news to him when I get back from the gym this morning. :lol:

Yesterday I spent about 5 hours working on my sister's fence at her new house. I almost finished getting all the posts and framing up for the wire and gates, but ran out of daylight with one post left to set. Will have to go back, maybe Tuesday. I'm taking a day off today from everybody else's projects! My sister wanted her fence posts set in sand only, which I've never done before, so I hope it works as well as people claim. All my CF/strongman training came in handy for hefting those 100 lb bags of sand...oof! It was like the 100 lb medball deadlift! :faint:

I think I will practice OH squat and squat snatches in my warm-up today. I'll have to see what the workout is, but I'm going to try and get there early enough that it won't matter. I miss my old (good) habit of getting there an hour early, so I could practice a few skills and take my time warming up. Speaking of that, I'd better run. :wave:

Lydia227
09-21-2009, 11:37 AM
Cheryl: Once again your aptitude for projects amaze me. :yes: Not only do you know how to do these things but you have the energy to do them along with your CrossFit workouts. AMAZING!

Enrolling your DS in the CrossFit Kids class sound awesome. Getting these kiddos into exercise is so important. In my case, DS is not into sports of any kind. The idea of being part of a team makes him very uneasy. I drag him into the gym with me on Saturday mornings where he is taking a two hour "Iron Teens" class each week for the next six weeks. I'd like to get him there twice more through the week but again, time is tight after 4:00pm when he gets home from school. :dizzy:

Mel and Elisa: Beautiful Pics ladies! Seriously. Mel, I had to laugh because you barely come up to your DS's shoulder. Only laughing because I know that is also my fate in the next couple of years. Right now, my DS is just about nose to nose with me. It's weird for both of us. :lol:

AWESOME workout for me today. One of those where you just feel cleansed from the inside out afterwards. MMMhmmm. :goodvibes: It was leg day. Did a few activation exercises to start, heavy squats, moderate deadlifts, jump ups on the bench, running, more deadlifts, 45 pound split squats, some elliptical and a few rounds of sunrise saluations at the end. Nice to reconnect after a long weekend.

Oh, and yes Shannon, THE PAINT IS DONE! :D Now, just pics to hang and I'm movin' on to panic attack project. Preparing for my next cert...how many weeks are left before I'm scheduled to sit for it. :eek: Ah, but it's a nice rainy day and perfect for digging into a text book. I might need to go into lurker mode for the next three weeks just to let you all know ahead of time. But I am here....:devil: I just hope that I don't give myself an excuse to indulge in carbs during these next couple of weeks while I study. Why should this go hand in hand...I don't know. Must be an old demon I'm fighting here from college.

jamsk8r
09-21-2009, 09:21 PM
Lydia, thanks for the encouragement. I did end up signing him up for it, and he had his first class this afternoon. Unfortunately, no other kids showed up today, but she said there are other kids that normally come to class, and said she would make some calls to make sure they get in there, so he's not by himself.

He wasn't thrilled about going, but was respectful once we got there and seemed to have a good time, did well on his workout.

On the way home, he started laying on the drama and trying to get some sympathy from Mom, maybe work in some bonuses like getting out of math on Crossfit days...um, nope, that wasn't working...so he tried the "angry pre-teen" act on me, sharing his feelings and all, but that didn't work either. He's never chosen a sport for himself, not that he would willingly stick with for more than one or two practices..as soon as it got "hard", then he'd quit and say he just wasn't "into it" any more. We went through that a few times, and I tried letting him find something on his own that he would stick with for more than a week..that just didn't work, even once. I had to learn this lesson the hard way, apparently. This time, I told him, "here's what you're doing, I picked something for you, I paid for it, it's six weeks long, you won't miss a class unless you're dead." :D So, naturally, he's going to act like it's killing him for at least a week or two, then he'll get over it and he'll forget that he's supposed to be hating on it.

The CF Report follows:
------------

Today's WOD was not the killer I expected. I asked my trainer, and he said he's not planning to deliver any hero workouts on a weekly basis, so I can quit worrying...phew!

Run 400 meters
50 sit-ups
30 push press (75# men/50# women)
Run 800
30 push press
50 sit-ups
Run 400

My time wasn't as good as I'd hoped, but was actually pretty good for me: 18:47/Rx'd. I was in the workout with this guy, Dave, who is a fast runner. I tried to keep up with him, and did pretty well the first 2 runs, but he left me in the dust on the second set of push presses..his time was 15 something. Still, it definitely helped me to finish faster, just TRYING to keep up with him.

Mel
09-22-2009, 07:41 AM
Oh Cheryl- your pre-teen boy sounds so familiar. :hug: They eventually grow up...somewhere around 25 for boys, I think :lol:

Yesterday was old fashioned leg day, and ...ta da...clean eats!

Cross fit tonight.

Mel

midwife
09-22-2009, 08:41 AM
Cheryl, HOW can my son possibly be in two places at once? :lol: My older boy is 14 and I'm seeing flashes of maturity and responsibility, but if you would have asked me 2 yrs ago, well, I worried about him a lot.

4rabbit
09-22-2009, 08:44 AM
Hi Ladies,

Cheryl - I second Mel on the boys. And make sure you keep an eye on the WoW hours he is putting in. At one time my DS was putting in 30 plus hours of WoW per week. While one certainly learns worthwhile skills in WoW, this is too much for my taste. He stopped WoW last year...had to pay for the membership all by himself...about half his monthly allowance, and I'm glad he did.

I put in 1.5 hours yesterday by biking to powerclass. Today will be my first try of doing elliptical while watching TV. I might go upstairs and make that rowing while I watch TV.

Also the first results of my bloodtest came through: Hb 7.3, which is low but OK for me (hereditary blood condition), cholesterol was high but not extremely so. I'll hear about the sugar and tyroid next week.

Have a great day all,
Rabbit

jamsk8r
09-22-2009, 11:40 AM
Thanks, ladies, for the support and giving me hope for the boy! (lol) :grouphug:

I could not sleep last night, and ended up sleeping right through my alarms this morning. I should already be at the gym, but I've got to wait for dogs to do their thing outside. If it gets too late, I'll just have to skip the gym this morning. Hoping not to have to do that, since it's likely a heavy lifting day, my favorite of the week! Anyway, I just thought I'd check in here while I drank my tea.

Mel, congrats on the clean eats! :carrot: The first day is always the toughest for me.

Shannon in ATL
09-22-2009, 12:25 PM
Good morning everyone.

Count me in on the horrible food for the last few days group. I have discovered that DH & I are both stress ice cream eaters. The weather yesterday pushed us both the the edge, so we ended up with ice cream. This is after the stress related ice cream of Friday as well. I have to start saying no. Or learn to portion out the small cartons instead of eating the entire thing...

No workouts this weekend, things were pretty busy with DSS & visiting my dad. His hernia repair went well and he actually got up and went back to work yesterday. I think that was a little silly, personally. I did get in a good workout yesterday, the same one I did Friday from my Woman's Health magazine. Did it right this time though. It is a little longer than I want - 4 sets of 'power duo' exercises with dumbbells or exercise ball, two per card that are supposed to compliment each other. You are supposed to do 2 sets of each duo with a short rest between each one. Took me about 45 minutes and I've been trying to keep to 25-30. Might cut out one of the pairs and see what happens. The exercises themselves were pretty neat.

My new fitness equipment (http://www.weiderfitness.com/webapp/wcs/stores/servlet/Product_-1_14801_17102_48003_84803) is delivering in pieces from various shippers - some came yesterday, the rest should come today via two different freight carriers. Ships in 7 separate boxes... No idea when we will get it assembled... ETA - the piece that was left off the truck yesterday just got delivered, so 3 of 7 so far. Just waiting on Old Dominion to call for the last four. This has been an ordeal. Didn't help that I was trying to receive freight deliveries during a flood yesterday... :eek: the UPS driver called at 10 am to say she was on the way, the rain kicked in hard again, a different driver finally arrived around 9 pm... At least it got me home though, if I had stayed at work all day I would have gotten stuck in the closed roads and terrible traffic, plus wouldn't have caught the fact that water was leaking under my door.

Elisa - great pic!

Cheryl - cool on getting your son in the crossfit!

Rabbit - Nice job on the biking!

Mel - sending you positive vibes for continuing the clean eating and getting back on track! I'm noticing my laser on point eating is fading as well... Have to get back to that for a while.

Lydia - that leg workout sounds great!

Good day everyone!
ended up being about 1:30, stress added to the length I think. Wasn't moving as efficiently as I could have, plus the exercises were new.
30 second jump rope
Combo moves workut from Women's Helath (http://www.womenshealthmag.com/health/combo-move-workout):
1) DB deadlift + bent over row & pike + pushup on ball
2) DB thruster & pushup row (and that one was ugly)
3) sumo squat + curl & row + back extension
4) step up + single arm press & dumbell press + core roll
30 second jump rope
40 crunches on the ball
5.5 miles on the stationary bike

jamsk8r
09-22-2009, 02:25 PM
Shannon, that's a good workout! Sorry to hear about the flooding...glad you were there to catch it in time!

The CF Report follows:
-----------------

Well, I called my trainer to see if I could come in late and still have time to work out. He said come on in, so I did. Then, I was sorry, as soon as I saw the workout! :lol3: It was like, "let's take every exercise Cheryl sucks at and make it into a workout!"

21-15-9 reps of:
Double Unders (or sub 5x single under jumprope)
Wall Ball (20#m/14#w)
Pull-ups

It wasn't a good workout for me. TOM is due any day, and the past year or so I've been PMSing or something..it's like the brain overreacts to any little stressor and it just makes me bust out crying. It's so embarrassing, and frustrating, even though I know what it is, and know I'm overreacting. So, anyway, today I just felt like crying about halfway through the first set of wallballs, and just had to fight the whole time to stay calm, take deep breaths, just get through it. It felt like it took forever, even though it was only 15 minutes. As soon as it was over, I just grabbed my stuff and got out, since I knew I couldn't control it much longer. I cried all the way home, and forgot to do the shopping, which made me cry again, then I was just laughing at how stupid it was, to cry because I forgot to buy ketchup and toilet paper. I'm like a junkie, 3 days out...weee! Can't wait to see how the fence building project is going to proceed today...can I call in "mental"?

jamsk8r
09-22-2009, 02:34 PM
Dang! I keep forgetting to tell you guys the good news. My trainer and another guy at our gym will be starting up a new seminar soon, for how to do Strongman, and specifically, how to do strongman training along with crossfit. I told him to sign me up for the first one! I think it will be great.

Also, yesterday, I met one of the new guys at our gym. He is a powerlifter, which is the sport with bench press, deadlift and back squats. Anyway, it was just interesting to talk to him and learn some about that sport. He's got an injured back right now, but is scheduled for surgery to fix it, so maybe when he gets back to training, I will learn something more about that. Maybe he will know some tricks for helping me get my lifts up where they need to be for strongman, plus I'd love to get some bigger numbers on my deadlift.

WaterRat
09-22-2009, 02:35 PM
So I forgot I had a meeting last night, so the gym got passed over. I set the alarm and was there when it opened at 5:30 am. New set of exercises starting this week. Another, "let's suck Pat in and let her think it's easy" thing. I know how to do all the exercises, and there are only 5 of them. :lol:

Warm- up (I did 10 minutes of bike, 50 light weight leg presses, and a couple of physical therapy exercises)
Then do these as a circuit:
1. Bar or DB deadlifts 5x8
2. bent-over alternating DB rows, 5x8
3. DB or KB swing, 5x10
4. T-push-ups, 5x4
• Start as for a pushup, arms straight, with hands resting on dumbbells
• Perform a regular pushup
• After you have pressed up, turn body to face the side, raise straight arm overhead
• Finish with hand pointing at ceiling
Repeat but turning the body to the other side
5. Mountain climber, 5x24
• Begin in a pushup position
• Kick right knee forward, landing with sole of right foot under the torso
• Keep left leg straight
• Immediately kick right knee back and switch legs in midair

and the prescribed rest is 15-30 seconds between each..

I'm sitting here hurting.....

jamsk8r
09-22-2009, 02:39 PM
Ooh, Pat, I was having sympathy pains just reading about that workout! WTG! That's a great program you've got there!

Shannon in ATL
09-22-2009, 02:56 PM
Pat - ouch. I've done the side plank with the arm extended up in yoga routines before and it is harsh. I can't imagine putting it in a set of pushups. So is one rep both sides?

What is the benefit of a pushup done with the hands on dumbbells? One of my exercises from stumptuous has db burpees, one of the ones I did today was a 'pushup row' that had a plank position with hands on dumbbells and you alternate arms on the row, now Pat's on dumbbells. Is it because it elevates you up a little?

WaterRat
09-22-2009, 03:26 PM
Shannon, I don't know the benefit, but I know it hurts my wrists! :lol: I had carpal tunnel surgery on my right wrist, and still have CT in my left, so that position is not good for me. Since I'm not very good with "regular" pushups, I do this from my knees - without DB - or using the bar in the aerobics room. The latter is better for the plank part. And yes 1 rep is pushup-plank-pushup-plank. I was dripping before I finished the first set.... We did that row one on the last phase. I just had the DBs beside me and grabbed them for the row. At least today my knees were happy not doing endless squats. :lol:

Oh, and since I've been back a week I figured the airplane-water-weight was gone, so I weighed myself and I was down 2 lbs from when I left on vacation! :D

Depalma
09-22-2009, 08:07 PM
I'm not sure what training effect they were looking for, but in the case of T-pushups and renegade rows, it allows you to load the rotation or row part of the exercise.

For people with shoulder issues, the neutral grip is usually more comfortable and usually doesn't further aggravate the issue.

What I like most about using dumbells for even normal pushups, especially for someone who has form issues on pushups, is that it is easier to learn and/or remember to pull yourself down to the ground under control. You basically should be rowing yourself to the ground and pushing yourself away. Too often people basically catch themselves as they let gravity bring them to the ground. This causes themselves to break form and lose tightness, especially in the shoulder girdle.

Mel
09-22-2009, 09:04 PM
:wave: Depalma!

I'm HURTIN!

CF workout: (done in teams of 2- each person does half of the exercises, both do the runs together)
run 200 meters
100 box jumps
run 200 meters
100 burpees (boy, that was fun)
run 200 meters
100 wall balls
run 200 meters
100 sit ups
run 200 meters

My partner was a 17 year old girl who has been doing CF as part of her off season lacrosse training. She was good on the box jumps and runs, but we had to break the burpees into sets of 5 for her. We finished in the middle of the pack. I have to admit great glee when I'm stronger/faster than a 17 yr old. :carrot:

Day 2 clean eats.

The first couple of days aren't hard for me, it is sustaining it forever that is hard!

jamsk8r
09-22-2009, 11:27 PM
Nice closing line, Mel! I'll have to remember that one! I was SO tempted today to eat something quick and easy, but I stuck to my food plan all day.. phew!

Depalma, great to hear from you! :wave:

Shannon in ATL
09-23-2009, 09:03 AM
Depalma - thanks for the info! :)

Cheryl - somehow I missed two of your posts yesterday... The strongman-crossfit classes sound pretty neat. Hormones are crazy things, aren't they? I've started having hot flashes lately. Doesn't make me very happy. Hope you have a better day today!

Mel - being better than the 17 year old partner is always good!

Pat - I know it felt good to sew the scale move down after your trip!

I did another Women's Health workout yesterday and am pretty sore today. I have to admit, I didn't expect what looked like a simple workout from a magazine to wipe me out! I'll post the link to it when I get to work. Can't figure out the copy and paste on the iPhone yet. I'm waiting at home right now for the cable company - phone, cable and Internet all out.

Good day all!

sacha
09-23-2009, 09:54 AM
Some great workouts, ladies!

I haven't posted in a bit but I have been consistent with my workouts and eating on plan.

I did a 50% deload on all my lifts so I haven't been recording them here (they are still in my journal, of course). I went down to 50lb squats and will be up to 100lbs today.

Haven't been sleeping well or feeling that great lately. I am also a few days late ;) Might be heading to Crossfitmom.com soon, we've been trying for several months :carrot: I don't know, though. I shouldn't get my hopes up!

Lydia227
09-23-2009, 03:13 PM
Cheryl: We are raising the same kind of sons. Guilt guilt and more of it. Hopefully he will come to enjoy the CrossFit community and other kids will show up too!

Are you feeling better today? :hug: We all hate those hormonal shifts when they occur. Sometimes are better than others but every once in a while it can be a bad one. The best part is that by this time we KNOW what it is and can give ourselves a little space until it passes. Bummer about your workout though. Hopefully you will get a heavy session in soon to make you feel better. :yes:

Speakin' of which, yesterday DH was in town and asked to go to the gym with me. I had him spot me with my bench press which has been suffering a lot this summer. I wish I were better at this...anyway, as a result I was able to eek out four or five reps at 115lbs. That's just about 10 pounds less than my bodyweight so...it's coming. Must. Get. Stronger. :lol:

I also attempted the KTEs today. :lol3: That's all I'm gonna say. :rofl: Okay. It' wasn't too bad. I was able to get the knees to about 3/4 of the way to my elbows. Almost. I think there is a swing/kipping movement I'm missing here. I'll keep working on it though. It was kind of fun. Like the opposite movement of the pullup

Other than that, it was leg day today. I went a little lighter today than a couple of days ago. Legs Lite. But I was still a little wobbly walking out so it must have been effective.

Oh, and about the pushups. One of the things I've noticed about using dumb bells or even med balls for that matter is that I can get more depth at the bottom as well. I think it's a great feeling to have something to push up from as well.

Sacha: Hope all is going well and that we'll be getting Crossfitmom reports from you soon too. :crossed:

Mel: Hope you had a nice clean eats day.:devil: I passed up the pretzel bag today in the grocery but the kiddos frosted mini wheats got me when I got home. Must have been those KTE that required a little extra carbs right. :o

Shannon: Sounds like you are feeling better!

Shannon in ATL
09-23-2009, 03:33 PM
Women's Health Workout (http://www.womenshealthmag.com/fitness/15-minute-workout-0)
Here is the link to my workout yesterday. It says to do 2-3 sets of each exercise move with some rest in between each one, most of them say 6-12 reps depending on the exercise. Took me about 40 minutes and I only did 2 of each. I looked at the online site today and see that this is under the '15 minute workout' section! WTH! There is no way I could have done all of that in 15 minutes!

Sacha - I'm also keeping my fingers crossed for Crossfitmom! :)

Lydia - definitely the KTE calling for carbs. Absolutely. :)

WaterRat
09-23-2009, 05:50 PM
Great lower body workout, but 15 minutes?! No way. I'm surprised you got 2 rounds in 40 minutes.

It's COLD at my house today. It was 26 when I got up! Brrrr. And there's funny white stuff on the higher elevations. Sigh. It happens every year.

Tonight's workout is cardio - boring but necessary. DH is still gone, so at least I have no one home waiting for dinner. I find that early morning works well for lifting, but I don't do nearly as well with cardio then, hence the after work session.

Lydia - step away from the cereal! :drill: Glad to hear that DH is home for a bit. And high five on the 110 lbs!

jamsk8r
09-23-2009, 06:13 PM
Shannon and Lydia, thanks for the :hug:. Sorry about being crazy yesterday! I'm feeling much more normal today. Also, I called the trainer, and she said there's at least one other boy my son's age showing up today...they had played together at the strongman competition in August, so the kids' class should be more fun for my boy today. I think he's secretly looking forward to it, since he was speculating on what tortures his trainer would have in store for today's workout. He was amazed that his <4 minute workout on Monday made him so sore. :D

Mel, congrats on beating the 17 year old. :carrot: One of the best females at our gym is 45, and there's one lady who is in her fifties that is really strong, so that gives me hope that I can continue to improve, too.

Shannon, I agree...I don't think anybody could do that in under 15 mins..must be just misfiled...?

Lydia, I haven't done any bench press since starting at the CF gym. If we ever do it, I'll be interested to see what it is. I think my previous best was 90 lbs, without a spotter. I might be more brave if I had a good spotter! WTG with the 115!!!! This is for the cereal.. :frypan: (lol)

Sacha, :crossed:! I hope you're cooking us a baby!

Pat, how are you liking the new workouts this round? About the weather, I WISH it would cool down here, already! We had some teaser "fall" weather, then it went right back to summer. My dogs and I are ready to bust out the scooter and harnesses, dangit!

WaterRat
09-23-2009, 06:39 PM
http://www.precisionnutrition.com/members/resources/lefw-phase6-week-1-day-3.jpg

This is what's up for tomorrow. (I'm a day behind this week due to taking Monday off.) Again, nothing new, but I'm sure it'll :kickbutt: They've told us that we now have plenty of gym experience, and it's time to take it up a notch. I'm plenty sore from yesterday, and will be just feeling better in time to go do it to myself again.....

Glad you're feeling better Cheryl. I'm past those wild hormonal swings (pretty much) and don't miss them. Hope your boy has a good experience today.

Oh, a crossfit baby, Sacha. :crossed: for you.

4rabbit
09-24-2009, 02:36 AM
Hi ladies,

Glad to see you all in good shape!
i've recommitted, and i'm busy in Tom Venuto's book. The prevous modus operandy did not work out so time to change tings around and get some weight off.

No workout yesterday: It was my monthly visit to the development department I'm working for...in total I drove 5.5 hours, and the meeting was another 4 hours. I was beat. To compensate, I'm not going into work today. just some reading at home and I'm going to put some more time into getting a gym setup for DS and myself in the house.

Planned workout today is 1 hr cardio when DD is at danceclass at the gym, but I'll have to fit in another to make up for yesterday, or think of something tomorrow. ETA: put in 45 mins of lifting & bw exercises at home. This is the first time in a couple of months to put in a workout at home. I was dripping after 20 mins, and I'm beat but feeling glorious right now. Cearly long overdue, and surprisingly hassle free with all the equipment sitting right outside my bedroom door. ETA2: 1 hr cardio done

Have a great day all,
Rabbit

Shannon in ATL
09-24-2009, 12:04 PM
I went to a crazy place in my head yesterday and ended up not exercising. Picked DSS up from daycare, went home, fixed dinner, had every intention of exercising while he & DH were taking care of bath time. Went to put in the new light bulb in the touch lamp next to DSS's bed - failure. Bulb overheated, wouldn't shut off, burned me trying to get the bulb out. I immediately went into 'have to got to the store and get a new lamp right now' mode. At 7:00 pm in still partially flooded Atlanta with closed roads around my house and on my travel path to Target. Didn't get back home until after 8 at which point I was worn out and went to bed. I have no idea why I got so focused in on that stupid lamp, but I was at the point where I had to get it done right that minute, no matter how unwise an idea it was to get back out into traffic. I could barely hold my eyes open when I got home - figure I used all my energy on the crazy. Don't know what happened. :shrug:

Pat - I wish it was cold here today, or at least cool! We are back up to 80's and humid. I have a hard time doing cardio in the morning, too - it is a fight every time...

Cheryl - hope crossfit went better for the boy yesterday! Glad you are feeling more normal, too!

rabbit - :high: on the workout yesterday! :)

Good day everyone!

WaterRat
09-24-2009, 01:07 PM
Well, Shannon, I managed to blow the cardio off in the evening as well. :lol: It was the second evening of DH's mini-camping trip and I decided I needed to kick back.... Then he came home a 9 pm anyway. :lol: I did get up and do the workout posted above this morning. It was not nearly as bad as Tuesday's. I feel like I worked out, but not like I need to go back to bed.

Good work Rabbit - we'll drag you kicking and screaming back into workouts ...

jamsk8r
09-24-2009, 02:38 PM
Pat, what's the new avatar a picture of? Looks pretty! We've got some cloud cover and cooler weather this morning, so maybe some of your cool weather is headed south. :crossed:

Shannon, maybe craziness is contagious over the 3FC, too, and you got it from me! ;) Sorry to hear that you got burned. :hug: Hope it wasn't a bad one. My boy did have a good time at his CFK class last night, even though the other boy didn't show. His trainer let him give me skin-the-cats on the rings, if he could swing on the rope and land on a bumper plate without touching the floor, so that made it fun for him. We stayed after, and I actually did the heavy deadlifts workout again (had already done it in the morning), because my 14 y.o. buddy was there, and he wanted me to battle with him on fat bar (strongman axle) deadlifts. Anyway, the two boys had fun hanging out and playing for about an hour after that. We'll see him again on Friday, so my boy is looking forward to it a little more, I hope.

Rabbit, good job on the workouts!

Today's CF workout:
Run 800 meters
30 Snatches (power or squat, 95# men/65# women)
Run 800 meters

Ooh, I hate that 800 meter distance! My time was 14:10, using 45# today. Could have gone heavier, but not by much, and I wanted to keep it light enough that I could keep good form all the way through. I'm still not really smooth with this lift, but it's a fun one to do, IMO.

Well, I'd better eat my lunch, cook up some turkey for the next few days, then I'm off to do more on the fence building job today.

sacha
09-24-2009, 03:14 PM
Crossfitmom it is for me :carrot: I'm one month pregnant (I was suspicious but four positive tests including the doctor confirmed!)

Here it is:
http://www.crossfitmom.com/

An example of yesterday's workout:
Advanced
21-15-9
Wall ball #10-12
Pull ups

LOL is that supposed to be modified? Haha. I look forward to it.

Shannon in ATL
09-24-2009, 03:25 PM
Congratulations Sacha!:congrat:

WaterRat
09-24-2009, 06:11 PM
Ohh, congrats Sacha! I take it this is your first?

Cheryl - the photo was taken on the Noatak River in the Gates of the Arctic National Park waaayyy up north. My DH did a 10 day canoe trip there in summer 2008. In fact he's the person you can see fishing in the photo. It's a lovely remote place.

Hmmm, I'm feeling those cable chops from this morning. I probably went a little light on the weight, but my sides are noticing. :) I was having the "walk and chew gum" syndrome on the lunges with the contra-lateral push though. I did get into a rhythm in a couple of sets, but otherwise I had to think all the time which hand/foot I was on. :lol: Maybe it's just because it's early??

Mel
09-24-2009, 08:44 PM
Congratulations, Sacha!!!!!! :bb::preg::dance: May you have an active, healthy pregnancy and baby!

The clean eats train is still rolling. I have a girls' night out party (actually a bachelorette party for an "older" bride) tomorrow night, so that will be cheat meal #1 of the weekend. But before I head to the restaurant, I'll be doing a fundraiser Crossfit workout called Fight Gone Bad. Crossfits all around the country (world?) are doing it Saturday morning and mine has added a Friday evening session for those who can't make it on Saturday. It benefits research for prostate caner, and the Wounder Warrior Project. Which is what I'll be after the workout!

Cheryl- I have really hard time holding that axle. I used to use it for deadlifts and buddy curls.

Lydia- great job on the benches!

Pat- I love that picture. You may have premature winter, but it sure is pretty.

Shannon, your story made me laugh. That's the kind of obsessive thing I might do. Glad you made the trip safely. The flooding looked horrible.

Hi Rabbit! Good to hear that you are back on board.

Mel

4rabbit
09-25-2009, 04:51 AM
Congratulations sacha!

Thnx to all of you for the encouragement!.

Pat - great picture in the avatar! I literally cannot imagine so much open space without apparent traces of human occupancy. I think we are in the top 3 of most populated countries in the world...our "nature" is managed: we have planted woods, and designated trails in nature areas. The open spaces in the picture lookvery pretty!

Cheryl - good to hear your boy is taking to crossfit. I googled a picture of the big axle..sure looks big! Mel, I guess I would have problems gripping that as well, I take size 3.5 in gloves and usually I get them in the childrens department.

It looks like the new modus operandi is working: the scale showed a 2 lb loss yesterday and this held out today. I'm still in the early stages of the Venuto book, but I find it quite motivational, and I find that it works for me sofar to give myself a workout budget and a calorie budget. I keep thinking of ways to fill my workout minutes budget, and counting not to go over the food budget, and that makes it easier for me on a day to day basis.

I stll ache from yesterdays workouts, so I'll get in an easy 30 mins of cardio: bike to the store for groceries instead of taking the car. The weather is gorgeous today: bright and sunny and with a hint of autumn in the air.

Have a great day all,
rabbit

silverbirch
09-25-2009, 08:42 AM
Congrats, sacha!

I think the electricians are leaving today. I'll spare you the details but now we are safe. :crossed:

I've had ITB issues following the bouldering session in the photo I posted. Grim. Did a bit of cardio yesterday and today with a lot of stretching. Back to inside weights next week. Outside weights over the weekend, I'm sure, with slate to be moved.

Have a good weekend, everyone. :wave:

midwife
09-25-2009, 12:07 PM
Congrats, Sacha!

jamsk8r
09-25-2009, 12:45 PM
Birch, I was doing the outdoor lifting last night: pulling old wire mesh fencing, that was overgrown with grass and brambles, then putting it up at my sister's new place. Today it will be the outdoor shoulder workout: weedwacking. :dizzy: Hope you are feeling better today!

Rabbit, congrats on the weight loss!

Don't have time to reply to all, but I did read all the posts! :wave: I've got to run out the door soon. We're doing some gardening for a lady on my sister's mail delivery route, who can't take care of it herself these days, so we're hoping to cheer her up...she loves her garden, my sister says. CFKids this afternoon for the boy, and I'm doing the afternoon workout after that, since I couldn't make it this morning. Take care, all! :grouphug:

WaterRat
09-25-2009, 01:30 PM
Busy group we are! :) Last night my square dance group had been invited to an elementary school family fun dance night to do a demo and some "teaching" of square dancing. OMG - the kids! Now to be fair, I'm seldom around large numbers of small children (these were about 150 kids, babies through about 10 or 12, plus adults). The noise and activity level was very high and my hats are off to the people who deal with these kids on a daily basis. I did get in quite a bit of activity, both square dancing and doing some other line type dancing they were doing. I was, however, very glad to get back to the quiet of my own little world.

No formal exercise today. We have our regular square dancing tonight, and then tomorrow night we're demo-ing/teaching at an autumn festival at a small town about 10 miles north of here - at least it's adults. :lol:

Cheryl - I could keep you busy on yard chores! :) My lawn needs to be de-leafed again, so that'll be tomorrow's project. DH has a teenaged boy lined up to help him cut firewood, and he'll also finish cleaning out the garden. It's warmer today - overcast so no frost - but the weather has definitely moved to fall.

WaterRat
09-25-2009, 03:26 PM
Okay, this exercise is following me around, I swear! It's part of NRLW, and now here comes as an alternative to one of the exercises in this phase of PN! This is however, one of the better examples of how to do it....

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PIx4JGxwL8c&feature=player_embedded

So these are today's exercises, though I'll be doing them tomorrow. The jacknife is in place of the BB rollout, since one of the gals didn't have the BB equipment necessary to make it roll.

http://www.precisionnutrition.com/members/resources/lefw-phase6-week-1-day-4.jpg

Having a very quiet day at work. My budget presentation yesterday got postponed til Monday - after I hung around for a couple of hours getting more and more nervous. Now I'm resisting the urge to review and tweak them - I must resist. All the copies are made, etc.

jamsk8r
09-26-2009, 01:07 AM
Pat, step away from the budget! Enjoy your weekend! :hug:

I've never done the BB roll-out...thanks for the reminder...I should try that. I think I'll wait until our abmat sit-up challenge is over, though. Some friends and I are doing a 30 day challenge. We started with 5 abmat sit-ups the first day, and are adding 5 reps a day for 30 days. Today was day 6, so I did 30 of them. This could get ugly pretty quickly, lol!

Wow, Pat, I just looked at the reps/sets scheme on that workout. If there was no rest, that would be like the CF workout of doom! Still, 5 rounds, and AMRAP on the last three exercises every round? :faint:

Sacha, I meant to say :congrat: to you earlier, but had to run out. Woohoo!!! Go CF mom! And, BTW, you could scale that further if you've never done CF workouts before. Keep the reps, but use a lighter ball, and/or do some variation of assisted pull-ups if you can't do that many unassisted ones.

The CF report follows... good night, peeps!
---------------------

OMG, my trainer tried to kill us today! It probably wouldn't have felt quite so evil if I hadn't done 3-1/2 hours of weedwacking immediately before this workout. :faint:

Run 200 meters with 50# sandbag
21 Clean and Jerk (115# men/80# women)
3 rope climbs (14' rope, I think)
Run with sandbag
15 Clean and Jerk
2 rope climbs
Run with sandbag
9 Clean and Jerk
1 rope climb

I knew I couldn't do that many rope climbs, but as it turned out, I couldn't even do one today. My shoulders were toast after the weedwacking job, legs were jelly from the sandbag run, so I ended up subbing 21-15-9 reps of pull-ups for the rope climbs, after multiple failed attempts at getting up the rope in round 1.

My time was 22:28, with a 50# sandbag, 65# for clean and jerk, and a pink band for the pull-ups. If I could do the stupid rope climbs, I could have done this one Rx'd for the clean and jerks, but since I knew I wouldn't get the ropes, I decided NOT to kill myself today, and went with the lighter weight. Even that seemed heavy, though!

Tomorrow my trainer is away to a strongman competition. The sub trainer was joking about doing a "burpee fight gone bad", like burpee wallball, burpee tire jumps, etc. I don't think he'll really do it, but it would be a suckfest and even though I hate burpees, I'd be game to give it a try! CF messes with your head like that. :devil:

Mel, speaking of FGB, how did your workout go?

4rabbit
09-26-2009, 03:24 AM
Wow cheryl, even looking at that workout amazes me. I cannot contemplate myself running 200m with a 50# sandbag, and I'm still working on getting 1 decent pullup in. Power class at the gym is more for endurance.

Pat - kudos on the workout. like cheryl said.

I've just put in a 30 mins run, and I'm at 5 hours for this week. This afternoon I've got weights-at-home sceduled, tomorrow watching a miss marple episode while on the rowing machine.

Personal record for my run is that I managed to put in some episodes of 8 km/hr, so I'm working my way up.

Still busy in the Tom Venuto book, the motivational and change stuff is really interesting. Seems that it takes only weeks to reprogram, which is in line with my experience. I've got 1 week under my belt, and finishing the 2nd. Key for me is that my wod does not need to be stellar jusat as long as i get it in and adhere to my food budget.

Have a great day all,
Rabbit

jamsk8r
09-26-2009, 12:08 PM
Rabbit, your new plan and dedication have been helpful to me, this past week. I've been struggling with my focus when it comes to eating clean and just getting these last few pounds off. Seeing how you've really dialed in on some specific steps you can take, and your results, well, that's helping me keep it in perspective this week! :hug:

Okay, one more workout from heck, and I get a rest day. Just. One. More. (shuffle...drag....) Alright, this is me, getting off my sore butt and going to the gym...

WaterRat
09-26-2009, 02:26 PM
Wow, Pat, I just looked at the reps/sets scheme on that workout. If there was no rest, that would be like the CF workout of doom! Still, 5 rounds, and AMRAP on the last three exercises every round?

Yes, but in my case AMRAP for reverse pushups is, um, maybe 1? :lol: I actually didn't do this yet. Developed a major headache last night and it's still around this morning. I'm thinking I'll declare today a rest and then - now that the gym is open on SUndays, yay! - I'll go right from church tomorrow and do it. (Gym times are 10-4 on Sundays, else I'd go early)

Rabbit, your new plan and dedication have been helpful to me, this past week. I've been struggling with my focus when it comes to eating clean and just getting these last few pounds off. Seeing how you've really dialed in on some specific steps you can take, and your results, well, that's helping me keep it in perspective this week!

This must be going around! I had an awful week, eating wise. I'm going to sit down in a bit and make a plan for the week, and a grocery list. I need to get my eating back in control.

It's cold and rainy here, but DH is out cleaning up the garden, and just told me he intends to take down the old fence today. That means I need to suit up and go out and dig up my prennials that are planted by the it. The new fence will be outside where the old fence is, and I can can replant them, but they need to spend the winter elsewhere. :)

Rabbit - I just got a brochure for a lovely looking cruise around the Netherlands and Belgium during tulip season in April. Too bad it's over $5,000 with the airfare from Alaska. I'd love to see it some time.

Okay, off to put clothes in the dryer and dig flowers.....

Shannon in ATL
09-26-2009, 05:13 PM
Hello all! I've been MIA from this thread for a few days,but have been exercising! I promise! :dizzy: I've done better with the eating this week, watching Mel & Rabbit has helped me, too! We did go out to dinner last night, where I had three shrimp tacos, but I had 850 cals left for the day so don't think I went too far over.

Thursday I pieced together a workout from various sources, Friday I did floor cleaning & lawn mowing cardio, today I did the WH 'fit in your jeans' workout again.

It is raining here again - the rivers had gone down some, but we were only an inch or so away from flooding again in some places.... Hope the rain stops soon...

Time to fix spaghetti for DH & DSS, back to reply and post specific workout info later. :wave: to all!

jamsk8r
09-26-2009, 06:35 PM
Hey Shannon, :wave:. I hope you get a break from the rain/flooding soon! :hug:

Pat, that's my problem, too, food. I don't have a problem with the food itself, I'll eat anything when I'm hungry, but when I'm constantly gone from home, just stopping in long enough to change work clothes, or flop into bed, well, that's when I get in trouble, because I come home starving and want something right now, but nothing is cooked or thawed out, so I cop out sometimes and just grab take-out or something carby that's ready to eat. Also, lately, I'm craving some more variety in my foods, but that may just be the carbs talking, I'm not sure. I've been eating just the same few things for the past six months or so, so maybe some variety wouldn't hurt, as long as it's good choices, not something I can binge on. I can't really do nuts, or yogurt, because I just end up eating more in a day than I should. So, I'm done with the gym for the week and home for a whole day and a half, so I'm going to make a plan, as well. I need a plan for food: some new choices in my menu, and I think I need to cook ahead now for a whole week, and put some in the freezer, so it will last. Yeah, that will help a lot!

The CF workout report is below. Later, peeps!
--------------

Today's group warm-up:
5x of Row 100 meter sprint, record best time
(my best was 20.5 seconds...these were kinda fun, but after this "warm-up", I had to rest before the workout, lol)

Today's WOD:
AMRAP in 15 mins of:
12 AbMat Sit-ups
10 Burpee-Wall Balls (squat, throw the ball, catch the ball, burpee with hands on ball, repeat)
8 Pull-ups

My buddy Bear was there today, which always helps me to dig a little deeper and push harder in the workout than I would on my own. I got 6 rounds, plus 11 sit-ups today. Longest fifteen minutes of my life. Well, this week, anyway!

WaterRat
09-27-2009, 01:45 AM
Ouch, Cheryl, I'm worn out reading! I can't do burpees - yet. Too hard to get up with my knees.

I got the flowers all relocated to a place to spend the winter, and then of course it stopped raining. In the afternoon I went off to a friend's house. Her mom (in her 80's) is visiting and my friend invited 3 of us to come and brainstorm Christmas ideas. It was fun to get together and share some ideas. We just had little snacky stuff: raw veggies, fruit, and tea. Of course we discussed a lot of food. :lol: After all it was for the holidays.

Tonight DH and I went off to a nearby small town's first attempt at a barn dance event. It was set up in a large tent with a small dance floor. Very cute decorations. THey had the food under another wall-less tent, and there was plenty, including a whole roasted pig! What they didn't allow for was the fact that it's the end of Sept, and as soon as the sun goes down, it gets cold, like in the low 40's! Our square dance group did 2 sets of dances between the band (a good CW group) and DH and I left as we were cold. They did finally get some heaters in the tent near the band. Their hands were getting too cold to play. If they'd held the event a month earlier it would have been great. It was good for a first attempt, though. Now I've finished folding laundry and making some corn muffins for a potluck at church tomorrow, and I'm ready to turn in and read for a bit.

Wow - I read this and it was a pretty active rest day....

silverbirch
09-27-2009, 02:47 AM

From bed, early on Sunday morning. Quick post re food & drink. Cheryl, I've got a new idea for those days I seem to be on tour. I'm now packing lots of drink: water (of course) but also coffee, skimmed milk & weak tea. Every time I stop the car I don't leap out immediately
& get going. I pause, breathe & pour a drink. It seems to be working a bit as I'm not eating so desperately during the day. I am like a pack pony when I leave in the am. Next challenge is to eat a good tea & not succumb to supper out of stress. We are slowly getting the house back, tho', so that helps.

Have a good Sunday.

4rabbit
09-27-2009, 08:37 AM
Hi ladies,

Birch, so good to see you post! I would have, from my bed, with the double espressso...but DD has hijacked my netbook & I'm using my work-beast instead. Very dangerous to use that in the weekend as I am always tempered to go to work if I open it.

Cheryl. Pat - You make me :o:, and I actually consider you both the motivators to keep plugging away.

I did 20 mins elliptical in front of the TV yesterday evening, 30 mins weights this morning, and just finished a miss marple episode on the rowing machine...Yay!! I've made my goal for this week!

Tomorrow its biking to work again, and power class in the evening.

Pat - I cannot imagine how cold it must be in Alaska! We'll having an uncommon good weekend...sunny and 21 C.

Shannon- how are you doing? Glad you feel better. I hope you won't flood.

have a great weekend all,
Rabbit

jamsk8r
09-27-2009, 01:42 PM
Birch, I like the idea of having some tea along. I could take the tea fixings to the gym with me for those long Saturdays (the workout, then waiting for everyone to leave, then about 2 hours for the gym cleaning job). I hope you get your house back soon! :hug:

Rabbit, if we are motivating each other, then that's got to be a good thing! Great job on the exercise this week! I'm going to try and get my food issues straightened out this week, so I can feel like all my good exercise is not for nothing! :dizzy:

Well, today is rest day from the gym, and I am home for a day...woot! I will spend today trying to get a plan together for the food war, get the house cleaned up a bit, clean the chicken coop, and I'd like very much to clear the unnecessary tools out of my van, and load up the dog scootering supplies, so that I might take a dog along to run, when the weather is cooperating.

I'm thinking of pulling my boy from the CFKids class, if no kids show up by Monday afternoon. My brilliant plan is not working, not without any other kids in the class. :( I figure it would be better to wait until some of the other kids are ready to come back to class, rather than keep subjecting him to the class all by himself. :shrug:

Shannon in ATL
09-27-2009, 06:48 PM
The rain stopped again, no additional damage around me as far as I know. 4 roads that had just reopened near my MIL had to be closed again, so she will have a fun drive to work tomorrow...

We have DSS from Saturday AM to school drop off Monday this weekend, and DH just had to go back in to work for a little while. I spent some time entertaining the boy this afternoon during the Falcon's game - does 2.5 hours of gettin up and down and playing on the floor with active 4 year old boy count as exercise? :dizzy: pretty active 'rest' day for me, too!

Pat - the barn dance sounds like fun!

Cheryl - sorry no one else has shown up for the kids crossfit!

Birch - glad your builders are almost done!

Rabbit - I do the same thing with the sul
supplies in the AM. I take coffee, water, yogurt, fruit, string cheese and keep the making for tea in my office. I try to fill up on tea so I don't snack...

Oops, Diego over, time for bath...

Good night everyone!

WaterRat
09-27-2009, 08:03 PM
Pat - I cannot imagine how cold it must be in Alaska! We'll having an uncommon good weekend...sunny and 21 C.

You won't like it Rabbit! Today is very overcast and all of 3C! :brr: To be fair it was 10C most of the week.....

Hmm, I don't know what I ate at the barn dance, or my friend's house yesterday, but I've had some, um, digestive upset today, and haven't strayed far from the bathroom. I did go grocery shopping, but fortunately they have a very nice restroom. :) We're going to a concert in a couple house at the local coffee shop, but I think I may be rid of the problem. No cramps for the last hour or so...... Sorry TMI.

4rabbit
09-28-2009, 03:05 AM
hi Ladies,

Birch - are you awake yet? It's monday... a new week, a new start of my 7 hours resolve. I can report that I certainly FEEL a gazillions time better than 3 weeks ago, BIked to work, so my first 30 mins is in.

Pat - sorry for the stomach trouble.

Sounds like we all had a pretty active weekend,
Have a great day all,
Rabbit

Mel
09-28-2009, 07:45 AM
Monday blues here. I did get out of bed and do cardio after thinking about it for a minute after my alarm went off. Leg day at the gym.

Back to day 1 of clean eating. The weekend was under control- so that's an improvement! :D

Cheryl- Fight Gone Bad was kind of fun. I had a 250 in Standard Women, as proscribed. The last set of box jumps was a little hairy.

Nationally over a million dollars was raised for Athletes for a Cure(Prostate Cancer) and the Wounded Warrior Project.

Mel

jamsk8r
09-28-2009, 08:04 AM
Morning, ladies! I'm trying to get on a good schedule for fall/winter, so I actually got myself in bed at 8:30 last night. Woke at 3, feeling rested, and six hours is my norm for weekdays, so decided to get up, rather than lie there waiting for the alarm clock. This will give me a chance to load my van with the dog scooter and supplies, so I can run Gracie this morning, after the gym, do the grocery shopping, and be home before it's too hot for little red dawgs to be riding around in the van. :carrot: I'm going to attempt to be sensible this year, and not mess up my schedule with late nights on the weekends!

Food was POP yesterday. Woot! I'm still brainstorming ideas for PWO foods that travel well, and some that I might keep in the van for emergencies. I'm going to experiment with this plan: high protein/low carb for most workouts (strength training days and easier metcons), add in the carbs to the PWO meal after a longer/brutal metcon. I'll see how I feel on that, and what it does as far as leaning out, since I still have a few pounds to go. Mainly, I'm looking to curb that PWO hunger, so I can get through running my dog and/or grocery shopping afterward, and not arrive home wanting to empty the fridge while my lunch is cooking! The protein shake worked great for this last year, so I'm hoping I can do it again this year, either with a shake or some portable food.

PS to Mel: Great score! I've only done FGB once. I got a 185, because I didn't understand the rotation, and accidentally took an extra minute of rest when I should have been doing high pulls. Probably about 201 if I hadn't done that, so you still kicked my butt on that one! Great job, and congrats on all the moneys raised! Our gym doesn't participate, since we're already doing the Fraxa fundraiser every year. The gym owners figure one big charity event is enough, I think, plus I think we're hosting regionals next year, so that will be a furball, I'm sure!

silverbirch
09-28-2009, 08:33 AM
Birch - are you awake yet?

Yes, thank you! :) I was just leaving the house as you posted. Good work on the exercise front. Miss Marple and the rowing machine is a great idea.

Cheryl : PWO? please? Is this something I need?

Mel: hope you're feeling a bit better. VG on having an under control weekend.

Shannon: good to see you posting. I scored high points last week by telling someone due to fly from here into Virginia and out of Atlanta that there had been bad floods! :D 3FC is so good for us posers! Glad things are improving a bit.

Pat: you're busy busy!

Had a slightly tricky start to the day involving cuddling a large 9 yo boy - both of us in a smallish chair. That, um, screwed up my back a little so I bought frozen fruit (necessary purchase anyway) and sat in the supermarket car park icing the part and drinking coffee before doing a warm-up and stretching session at the gymn. Anything is better than nothing, don't you agree? And I feel better now. ...

... I'd like to have one of those straightforward days with a smoothly running body, household and car. In the meantime ...

Have a good day, all. And you lurkers, too. :wave:

Shannon in ATL
09-28-2009, 02:09 PM
Hello!

Pat - hope you are feeling better! I wish we had a little cool down here, or at least a cut of the humidity. I'm ready for fall after all this rain.

Rabbit - :high: on the two weeks of exercise!

Mel - I looked up FGB. Ouch!

Cheryl - You got up at 3am? Wow. I was just barely getting to sleep solid at 2:30... :high: to you for your POP food yesterday!

Birch - sometimes you just have to cuddle with the boy, even when the chair is too small. :) I have a nice left quad cramp today from the same thing with my 4 yr old boy yesterday.

No exercise this morning. I have got to get myself back in the habit of exercise in the morning... Going to do something when I get home, maybe yoga. Dunno yet. A little stiff from last week, first full week back on my exercise schedule after being sick.

I am starving starving starving today. Is it because I ate less protein for the last few days than normal and had more carbs? I had more than the RDA every day, but no where close to what I was getting...

:wave: good day everyone!

WaterRat
09-28-2009, 03:57 PM
Morning. Feeling better today so I've rearranged my exercise schedule and I'll be doing a full-body circuit tonight (Day 1 that I posted earlier), and moving the rest day to Thursday which is where I need it. :) I'm finding it hard to get out of bed at 5:15 am when it's dark and cold (30F/0C) in the morning. I'll go tonight, tomorrow night, wed noon, off on Thurs, and - sigh - early am on Fri as I've plans for both lunch and after work. Weekends are easier because the gym opens later so I can't go early....

I have my budget presentation this afternoon, and then work should settle back into a quieter routine. I have a couple of long-term projects I'm working on, but nothing on the horizon to be stressed over.

Cheryl - PN recommends that you have the majority of your dense carbs within 3 hours of a workout. That's one reason I like early morning workouts - lets me eat oatmeal and 1/2 bagel for breakfast. :) Otherwise the carbs come from fruits/veggies.

:wave: to everyone. Gotta scoot.

jamsk8r
09-28-2009, 05:17 PM
Birch, sorry! PWO= post workout, so I was talking about what to eat after my workouts.

Shannon, thanks! Hopefully today will be day 2 of POP eating. I'm ready to kick these last few pounds out of here and be a maintainer!

Pat, all my carbs come from fruits/veggies, at least normally they do...I've been slightly off kilter since the day at the fair, but hopefully am back on track now with the food. :crossed: I do allow for sugar/milk in my tea, but that's it for the carb action.

Speaking of carbs, interesting little tidbit. Dr. Barry Sears has a lecture posted on the CF Journal (free for all, not just members, if you're interested). Now, I'm not a doctor, so have no idea if it's true or not, but he says if you're too low carb for too long, it increases the release of...er...cortisol? crud, that might not be right...something that starts with a "C", I think, that can lead to depression. My BIL has been diagnosed with and struggling with depression this past 2 years or so, and he's been on Atkins for maybe 6 years, so I found that statement interesting and wondered if it is true. :chin:

The CF report follows:
--------------------------

This morning was great...I think I approve of this 3am thing! (like it will ever happen again, :rofl:) I got to the gym at 6:30, went for a mile run, spent a while stretching/overhead squatting with the pvc pipe, to loosen things up, did my push-ups and sit-ups and pull-ups. Then I still had lots of time, so I practiced squat cleans. I am getting more comfortable with this lift, and it no longer seems like there are 42 different form points to remember. :carrot: Anyway, it was fun!

Today's WOD was a birthday workout for one of the ladies:
Run 380 meters
9 Push Press (95# men/65# women)
28 KB Swings (54# men/36# women)
3 rounds for time

My time was 13:13/Rx'd. Wow, this was much tougher than it looked, though mercifully short! I came in off that first sprint, sucking wind like a racehorse, and that made the push presses gobs of fun! There was no "take a breath and hold it" today. Between the running and the kettlebells, I was sucking wind the whole workout. :faint:

After the gym, I sucked down a protein shake, took my dog for a run, just about 2 miles, since she's still out of shape from having the summer off, then did the grocery shopping at Costco on the way home. The shake did the trick, since I felt full all the way to lunchtime. :carrot:

nelie
09-28-2009, 05:30 PM
I'm so lazy, I was going to wait until October 1st to post which I thought was tomorrow but its not!

Anyway, I am doing well. I have karate 1 night per week and I practice on other nights. I've been doing c25k. I am also trying to do weights and kettlebells regularly again. Beyond all that, my food is good although today is definitely a hungry day. I've been counting calories for the last week but not strictly until today. I looked and saw I don't have much room for my normal piece of dark chocolate at night tonight :) I may have to turn it into a few times/week treat instead of daily.

I asked about magazines in a separate thread because I was interested in finding a good magazine to subscribe to that will help give me ideas and just be overall informative. I liked the Fitness Rx For woman magazine I picked up (other than all the ads). If anyone could pipe up, I'd appreciate :)

Shannon in ATL
09-28-2009, 11:14 PM
Cheryl - I've read that about cortisol before. Or maybe it was something about lowcarb lowering serotonin levels over time? I think there may have been a discussion about that topic on here, can't remember if it was in a general forum or the Atkins specific forum. I'll see if I can find it...

Nelie - not October 1st yet! I've been reading Women's Health lately. They have some fluff, but I've been enjoying the workouts. Though, I learned after I subscribed that you can get the workouts off the website for free... :dizzy:

Pat - hope the budget presentations went well!

jamsk8r
09-29-2009, 12:54 AM
Hey all. Pretty good rest of the day today. The boy got his school done, and we made it on time to his CFKids class. We left early, just in case, but with the fair finally over, and that traffic gone, we made it with time to spare. Two other boys did drop in late for the kids' class today, but with no kids other than my son actually paid and committed for the whole 6 weeks, the trainer decided to just cancel it, and wait for more kids/parents to show interest. She did invite my son to come do the regular wods, but he doesn't feel ready for that, and I don't really think he's mature enough or interested enough, at this point, for that to be a good experience. I think I will start taking him with me on Saturdays, just to hang out, so he's staying in contact with the other kids there, and making some friends. My son did say he'd be interested in doing another kids class when it starts up again. :carrot: I think taking him once or twice a week with me will still be good, because then he won't feel like "the new kid" when the class does start up. So, it didn't go quite as well as I'd hoped, but he did seem to get enough to at least be interested and willing to try it again later. :)

I'm off to bed. See if I can at least get up on time, if not a little early again. Food was POP today...day 2.

4rabbit
09-29-2009, 04:49 AM
Hi ladies,

Fly by post.
I managed to get my wo in yesterday: powerclass & biked to work, total 2 hours.
Today is biking to work (1 hr total) and if I/m not too tired (BIG if) zumba is on at 9 pm at the gym. I'm considering that,but it really is late for me.

Cheryl -pity the CF did not work out for your son.
Re depression: cortisol is a stress hormone. It is linked to depression and to accumulation of belly fat as far as I know. I've never heard of the lo-carb link tough. Re BIL on Atkins: I did mindfullness and behavioral therapy for my depression and that worked out really good. Both teach you skills to counteract the onset of depression and nip it in the bud immediately, which prevents getting in cycles of depression. I hope your BIL has not been depressive for long.

sacha
09-29-2009, 08:32 AM
Hello ladies, thank you for the congrats :hug:

I have not worked out since last Tuesday (one full week!) because this has been the week from ****. Nausea, sore boobs, fatigue, no coffee (worse than all other symptoms combined).

OK. So today, I start working out again.

New 8 month program starting Sep 29, 2009: Crossfit Mom (http://www.crossfitmom.com) + 1 hour walk per day (doggie)

Today's workout:
Skill Day
Today, do the Burgener warm up and practice the heaving snatch balance with PVC.

I don't have a PVC but since I'm still in the first trimester, I'll just use an Olympic bar (45lbs). Maybe a broomstick if that's awkward.

jamsk8r
09-29-2009, 10:11 AM
Sacha, a pvc is handy to have around for warm-ups, and for practicing movements...sometimes when I am learning a new lift, like when I was trying to learn the squat clean after doing power cleans for so long, the pvc helped bridge the gap...I'd do a few with the pvc, get it right, then go back to the bar. I use it every day, too, for shoulder ROM (pass-throughs, mostly) and some OH squats, to loosen everything up after a warm-up of running or rowing. When you can, hit the local home improvement or hardware, and have them cut you a 5' piece of 3/4" diam. pvc pipe...you'll love it! In the meantime, you can steal the handle off a broomstick, if you have one that unscrews from the broom head. You can still move on to the oly bar if you feel ready for that, but you'll like the lightweight stick for a lot of things, I think. CFMom looks great! I like that they have several options for levels/reps/rounds. Have fun with it! I hope you'll be feeling better soon. :hug:

Rabbit, thanks for that. I just thought, if it could be helped with dietary changes, or if his diet could be aggravating the problem, that might be an avenue to explore. I might mention it to my sister, so she could check into it further, since she'd know more about it than I do.

Well, I didn't get to sleep too early last night, so didn't wake till 6 this morning, but it still gave me a little time to drink my tea and eat breakfast, so that's good enough for me. The scale is coming right back down to normal, now that I'm eating POP, which is a relief. I knew it would, but it still helps to see the proof, KWIM? I'm feeling better, too, without the carb roller coaster effect. Going for another POP eating day today. I'd better get this show on the road, and get to the gym. I might practice the squat snatch today, in my warm-up. I hope we'll be doing back squats soon. I don't love them, but it's been a while since we did them, and I really could use more practice and coaching on that one. Have a great day, peeps!

sacha
09-29-2009, 10:46 AM
Thanks for the info jamsk8r, turns out I spoke to soon anyways. I did the workout (warmup of 2 rounds of 250m row, 10 squats @ Oly bar, 5 good mornings @ Oly bar, 5 presses @ Oly bar) but when it came to doing the snatch for the first time, there was NO WAY I could do it with an Oly bar, LOL. Me being cocky. Luckily, DH had a broomstick prepared for me already (I saw it peeking behind the door, he's a smarty pants that way).

Snatches sure are a lot harder than they look!

Shannon in ATL
09-29-2009, 01:46 PM
Dang - I lost my post because I hit the back button... Poop.

Sacha - I use a pvc pipe for new moves and warmups/ROM movements as well, also on suggestion from Cheryl. I actually have two - one is empty, and the other one is set to be filled with sand if I ever get off my hiney and do it. No coffee? I knew that there was an overriding reason I haven't had kids, there it is! ;)

Cheryl - sorry the CF didn't work out for the boy. It is good, though, that he asked about trying again when more kids sign up!

Rabbit - 9pm is late for Zumba. I'm not sure how coordinated I would be that late.

I did another Women's Health workout yesterday - I am such a slave to the 'new' thing. :) This one (http://www.womenshealthmag.com/files/images/belly-off/pdfs/wh-monday.pdf) is day one of the Belly Off Club plan. I liked it - about 50 minutes, my HRM said is burned 450 calories. I don't know if I'll like the other days as much, so might make my own or try one of the ones from last week for other days. I also danced around my garage for about 15 minutes, which was fun. I've never really been able to dance, but I move a lot easier now so it seemed to flow easier. Today is a cardio day, either treadmill or elliptical when I get home. DH is home sick, so I might go home a little early and check on him.

Good day everyone!

WaterRat
09-29-2009, 02:29 PM
Last night's workout went really well. I did all 5 sets - though I substituted lat pull-downs for the BB corner press - in the evening the gym is too crowded for me to tie up a doorway with an Oly bar.... Turns out I had the wrong page out and I did Day 2 instead of Day 1. Oh, well, I'll do Day 1 tomorrow and be back on track.... Tonight is cardio - not my favorite. At least I have some new music on my iPod. :)

Shannon in ATL
09-29-2009, 03:28 PM
Pat - oops! Tonight is cardio for me, too. Not really looking for too it either. I did find that my iPhone has a 'genius playlist' feature and have discovered that I am really motivated by songs like Bootyliscious, Lady Marmalade & Proud Mary. :)

Stupid question for those that use barbells - do you count the weight of the bar into the total weight? I have been doing some exercises with the empty 7' olympic bar that came with my new exercise set and I think it weighs 45lb by itself.

jamsk8r
09-29-2009, 03:38 PM
Sacha, that warm-up is like a workout all by itself. :faint: I'd have been too wiped to do the heaving snatch balance with a bar, myself. The snatch is tricky to learn, like the squat clean, but I am loving them both, the more I do them. I did not get to practice the squat snatch this morning, so I'll shoot for it in tomorrow's warm-up, maybe. I never know what the workout will be until I get there, so I can make my plans, then I may have to adjust them according to what the workout is, or how much time I have. :shrug:

Shannon, I've never been a dancer myself, except on skates. Can't dance on shoes to save my life, lol. I'll have a look at your workout after I finish this post...I'm glad you're back in the exercise routine, though...sounds like you're having fun and experimenting with new things.

Pat, what is a BB corner press?

Hey Mel, or anybody, really, what do you think about so-called "strength programs", like I've seen some that are supposed to help you up your 1RM. I guess Starting Strength is one, with the 5x5, for example? I was talking to the power lifter guy at our gym, and he said back when he was competing, they would do things like rack pulls, to get the body used to finishing the heavier weights, and he said that translated to pulling heavier from the floor, over time. I'm just thinking of my deadlifts, mainly, and wondering if there's more I could be doing to build strength in that lift. I figured Mel might know, since she did the bench competition before.

The CF Report follows:
------------------

What did I say this morning? Today was:
Back Squat
5-5-5 (with same weight for all three sets)

Last time we did this was July 2nd, and I used 105 for all three sets, which was a PR. Curiously, every time we've done back squats, since I started, anyway, we've always done this same rep scheme, three sets of 5. No sets of 3, or 3RM or 1RM. I'll have to ask my trainer why that is.

For my CF warm-up, I did a 500 meter row, pull-ups, and a set of hip extensions and sit-ups on the GHD. Oh, and the 50 abmat sit-ups for the challenge I'm doing...this is starting to get tough to get through without breaking up the set, since my abs are getting no rest days...whose stupid idea was this? :lol3:

For the WOD, I did this:
warm-up sets of 5 @ 45-65-85-105
feeling a little nervous at this point, but decided to go up 10 for a good PR
115-115-115
these were work, for sure. I was sharing the bar with another gal who was using 125 for her working sets. When she was done, I decided to try her 125# to see if I could get a rep with that. I figured this would give me a boost of confidence for next time, just knowing I could squat 125 at least once. It actually felt pretty good, so I did 3! She decided to do the same, and went for 135#, which is 5# more than her bodyweight, so now she is feeling confident that in a month or so, she could do three sets of 5 with her bodyweight. It was a great lifting session!

WaterRat
09-29-2009, 04:22 PM
Cheryl - here's a link BB Corner Press (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mj7XnT9RMwA)

The only corner I can find at my gym that has enough room around it to accommodate the Olympic bar is adjacent to a doorway and I pretty much take up most of the space. I can do this in the mornings when there are only 4-5 people in the gym, but in the evenings there are a lot of folks who want to go through this doorway! :lol:

Where is Alena these days? Did I miss her saying she was going away? Or did she get rolled up with her old carpet?

jamsk8r
09-29-2009, 04:32 PM
Shannon, missed your post while writing my novel. Yes, you count the weight of the bar, and it should weigh 45#, but you can find out with the bathroom scale: weigh yourself, grab the bar, weigh again, subtract and the diff is the weight of the bar, or should get you close enough. Some of the econo barbells might weigh only 40#, so you might just want to check yours on a scale, so you know for sure.

sacha
09-29-2009, 04:36 PM

Hey Mel, or anybody, really, what do you think about so-called "strength programs", like I've seen some that are supposed to help you up your 1RM. I guess Starting Strength is one, with the 5x5, for example? I was talking to the power lifter guy at our gym, and he said back when he was competing, they would do things like rack pulls, to get the body used to finishing the heavier weights, and he said that translated to pulling heavier from the floor, over time. I'm just thinking of my deadlifts, mainly, and wondering if there's more I could be doing to build strength in that lift. I figured Mel might know, since she did the bench competition before.

I have the Starting Strength book, DVD, and the baby room is still a Squat room, haha. It is an incredible program if you follow it properly. I increased deadlifts from 115lbs to 190lbs. Highly recommended.

Ija
09-29-2009, 06:16 PM
I have the Starting Strength book, DVD, and the baby room is still a Squat room, haha. It is an incredible program if you follow it properly. I increased deadlifts from 115lbs to 190lbs. Highly recommended.

I just got this from a trainer at my gym... I'm definitely going to be starting it soon! :D

Depalma
09-29-2009, 09:01 PM
Starting Strength is an excellent book and the DVD is probably the single best DVD for learning the core lifts that I have ever seen. I think this is the first program for people when they determine they want to get stronger.

After a good strength base is built, I really like Maximum Strength by Eric Cressey.

I have been doing Jim Wendler's 5-3-1 program for about 4 months and I have seen steady increases in my lifts.

Once you get into the advanced category, I'd recommend picking up the Westside Book of Methods by Louie Simmons.

4rabbit
09-30-2009, 03:41 AM
Hi people,

You guys are an inspiration! So many thing to find out for my whome workouts.
Still busy reading the Venuto book, and I'm in the workout section now. I need some more research since i do not know all the moves he describes. But an interesting insight in the relation between weight-reps-effect of the workout wrt building endurance or buildding strenght.

WO today and yesterday: biking to work. I did not make it to zuma class yesterday. 9 pm is too late for me to get out of my house and go to the gym. besides, I usually go to bed at 9.45. I'll have to do some of the zuma wo that I have at home.

Tomorrow I'm off work and it'll be a lifting day again!

Have a reat day all,
rabbit

Mel
09-30-2009, 07:42 AM
I'm baaaack!

Two sleepless nights left me in a complete zombie-like state by yesterday afternoon. I managed to make it through work (didn't press the send button on anything, tho) but was afraid to go to crossfit for fear of killing myself or someone else. I slept like a brick last night and was able to do a ripping cardio session this morning. After work, I'm going to try to manage a haircut and crossfit...should be almost doable!

When I was training for strength, I did 5-4-3-2-1 with long rests between sets. 2-3 minutes or as long as I could stand.

Cheryl- rack pulls will help a lot with increasing your standard deadlift, but won't do much for the sumo high dl, if that's the one you were looking for. I'm not a fan of heavy shdl's because of the upright row motion and the potential for rotator cuff injury, but crossfit sure likes it!

Got to scoot-

Mel

nelie
09-30-2009, 10:40 AM
I have the starting strength book but didn't know there was a DVD!

I had karate last night which is oh so fun. We are thinking about going 2x week but have to figure out how to fit it in. If they offered weekend classes, it'd be easy but since they don't, it is a bit of a stretch. I am a little sore from last nights workout too.

Oh and I have a strange pain in my shin. It has been going on for a couple days. I have to look it up. It hurts whenever I move my foot although sometimes I guess I don't notice it so it doesn't hurt a lot. It is just a strange dull pain.

jamsk8r
09-30-2009, 11:29 AM
Mel, I'm just thinking standard DL. We don't do the SDLHP very often...just for FGB and the occasional metcon, but it's always light, like 55# for women. I've noticed some gyms go heavy with that one or thrusters, but I don't think my trainer sees that as a really bright idea, and I tend to agree with him and you. The only things we go heavy with are the OH presses, jerk, back squat, snatch, clean, deadlift, front squat occasionally (but mostly cover that with cleans)...I think that's it.

Thanks all, for the info. I'll ask my trainer what he recommends, too, and go from there. Gotta run right now, but I'll check in later. I'm running a little late today, so trying to decide whether to go in this morning, or just wait for the afternoon class. :chin:

WaterRat
09-30-2009, 03:02 PM
No cardio last night. I was totally exhausted all day, and started getting really achy, so I went into "don't you dare get sick" mode - went home, made dinner, laid on the couch a little (Ken Burns National Park documentary was on) and was in bed asleep by 9! I'm feeling more rested, but also more like I'm getting something. Grrrr. Today's plan is Day 1 at lunchtime (since I inadvertently did Day 2 on Monday).

http://www.precisionnutrition.com/members/resources/lefw-phase6-week-2-day-1.jpg

Rabbit, you're doing great on your hours of exercise.

Mel - I'm hoping that another night of extra rest will do it for me. I just don't have time to be sick.... Glad you're feeling better.

Shannon in ATL
09-30-2009, 03:10 PM
Mel - glad you are feeling better!

Rabbit - I don't blame you on the 9pm Zumba...

Nelie - I used to have that exact same pain when I was taking kickboxing. I figured out mine was from kicking the heavy bag with my shin not lined up right. Wasn't opening my hips enough so my leg was lined up crooked, caused some bruising under the surface. That and I probably wasn't ready for the full heavy bag surface. I use an angled uppercut bag now so if I'm not lined up perfectly it doesn't hurt me as much, plus it is a softer material.

Pat - We watched a little of the National Parks documentary, too. Gorgeous! Hope you are feeling better soon!

Cardio last night, went well. Did 30 minutes of yoga last night before bed, which felt great. DH & DSS are at my house sick right now, though DSS just got done at the doc and nothing is actually wrong (threw up from a combination of marshmallows at daycare and excessive sinus drainage on little food for the last two days IMO, sugary items get him every time.) Might not get any exercise in, but I'm okay with two off days per week if it comes to that and I'll get every other day this week in fine.

Good day all!

Depalma
09-30-2009, 08:09 PM
I have the starting strength book but didn't know there was a DVD!

While the book has been out for years and has gone through a couple of editions, the DVD didn't come out until about a year ago (maybe less, I lose track of time easily).

It's basically a video of a hands on seminar. What I love about it is that there are people of differing ages, sexes, and physical abilities that he is teaching the lifts too and coaching through a session from a warmup sets through working sets, so he gets to point out several different compensations/faults and different corrections.

Tomato
09-30-2009, 08:44 PM
Mel,

Don't forget to start a new thread - I promise I will refrain from doing that.
(I thought about you a lot last week - my local grocery store has MOUNTAINS of pretzels on sale).

Alena

Mel
09-30-2009, 09:05 PM
Alena :wave: where have you been????? I'll go start a new thread for you to answer :D