100 lb. Club - Interesting observation...

View Full Version : Interesting observation...

cfmama
08-31-2009, 05:04 PM
From May 1 to July 1 I lost 22.6 pounds eating 1700 calories a day... I decided that that was NOT enough of a weight loss and I could do better than that. So I dropped my calories to 1600 a day as of July 4th and started calorie cycling.

From July 1 to today I have lost 14.2 lbs. Eating an average of 1600 calories a day.

The first two months I was in and out of the hospital for my gall bladder and the last two months I was in and out of the hospital and had surgery.

It would appear to me that I actually HURT my weight loss by dropping my calories...

As of today and for the next 2-3 weeks I am upping my calories back to 1700 in an effort to see what will happen. Makes sense?

Wish me luck! And I am also looking for advice ;) Any and all and not just advice that supports my decision either :)

Onederchic
08-31-2009, 05:08 PM
Good luck!

run2bstrong
08-31-2009, 05:40 PM
Lowering your calories too much can actually cause you to gain or at least stop losing weight as your body goes into starvation mode.

harrismm
08-31-2009, 05:52 PM
I would guess part of it that you have less to lose....you are shrinking GIRL!!

cfmama
08-31-2009, 05:54 PM
I DO have less to lose but that's a pretty dramatic slowdown and to have it totally correspond with the lowering of my calories... well it's triggering my spidey senses into thinking that perhaps with my activity level I went too low too quickly.

Huh.

Keep the ideas coming ladies!

cfmama
08-31-2009, 05:55 PM
Lowering your calories too much can actually cause you to gain or at least stop losing weight as your body goes into starvation mode.

Well starvation mode at 1600 calories is probably not happening but I think it might have lowered my metabolism...

Kae
08-31-2009, 06:45 PM
Let us know how it turns out for you...

Trazey34
08-31-2009, 07:41 PM
I bumped into a very large woman at the grocery store a few times, and I overhead her giving advice to her friend -- get "0 Trans Fats" potato chips, because they're fat free and hardly any calories, and get SOUR ju jubes or SOUR candies because they don't have sugar.

WOW

just thought you like some snackie ideas lol

seriously tho, what could i possibly offer a woman who's lost 140 freakin' pounds ?!!! *** I bow to greatness*** if you say eat 1700, i buy it. If you say eat standing on my head, i buy it ;)

Eumie
08-31-2009, 08:24 PM
I bumped into a very large woman at the grocery store a few times, and I overhead her giving advice to her friend -- get "0 Trans Fats" potato chips, because they're fat free and hardly any calories, and get SOUR ju jubes or SOUR candies because they don't have sugar.

WOW

This is funny. I Have a friend who has twice lost her baby weight, and was just recently told by a doctor that she needed to lose closer to 20 lbs. than the 10 she had initially planned on losing.

She was AMAZED that a package of chocolate and peanut butter candies was 220 calories. MY thought was, "hrm...I thought they'd be more!" I've found it interesting to hear her slight misconceptions about healthy/unhealthy eating. And sometimes amusing.

Sorry to be off topic, cfmama. I think that if 1700 was working better for you, stick with it!

cfmama
08-31-2009, 09:15 PM
any other calorie counters around my weigh? What are you guys eating calorie wise?

Pita09
08-31-2009, 09:23 PM
I'm eating around 1500 most days. I will be interested in knowing how your change in your calories affects your weight loss. My weight is coming off in a trickle and it's annoying the heck out of me. I exercise 6 days a week for at least an hour of cardio, so I would assume that I would lose more than I am.

CJZee
08-31-2009, 09:35 PM
I've had an interesting experience the last 10 days or so.

I've been losing about 1.5 lbs. per week consistently on a 1550/cal. plan. But then I read "Burn the Fat, Feed the Muscle" and he recommends eating 5 mini-meals a day, so I started trying that. In doing so, I didn't lower my calories per meal quite enough, so I've ending up averaging about 1700-1800/day instead of the 1550 I was eating.

And I've lost faster in the last 10 days than I have since I started in March! I think I've lost 4 or 5 pounds in this time period which is amazing for me. I haven't changed anything else that I can think of.

I don't know whether it's the higher calories or the 5 mini-meals or just a fluke. To be fair, I am zig-zagging a bit, a few days were lower than 1700 or 1800, and one was 2100 I think.

time2lose
08-31-2009, 09:54 PM
Do let us know what happens. We all have to work out what works for us but 14 pounds in two months still sounds good to me! :)

canadia
08-31-2009, 10:02 PM
I'm the same way. My weight loss stalls at 1300-1500 calories a day, but I've lost basically 1 lb a week on 1700-1800 calories a day.

rockinrobin
08-31-2009, 10:41 PM
You were pumped with so many meds for so long. Then there was the surgery itself. Your body went through A LOT during those months. Truth is there is no way to know for sure what the reason for the difference in weight loss during the 2 time periods.

But heck, if you can lose on 1700 calories, I say go for it. Me, if I ate 1700 calories, ahhh, let's not go there.

Track, track, track. Then evaluate. You can always re-asses if need be.

Trazey, I meet people like that all the time. It's funny, because people love to tell me what they're eating when they think that it's healthy. It's like they're trying to show me just how healthy they eat. And scarily, it's often none too healthy. I hate to burst their bubble, but they are amazed when I tell them that sugar free muffins are loaded with additional fat. Or that fat free cake is loaded with extra sugar. Never mind that flour itself is caloric. It's not pretty.

GirlyGirlSebas
08-31-2009, 11:04 PM
I'm curious. How did you set up your calorie cycling? I've always heard really good things about calorie cycling an I'm surprised that it didn't work as well for you.

starfishkitty
08-31-2009, 11:11 PM
Let us know how it goes... I'd definitely be interested in knowing myself! :)

From what I've read and seen... it seems to me that everyone's body is different anyways and will react differently to different things. :)

I guess it also could depend on your true BMI and all those calculations too....

As to the zigzagging... I've read a lot of accounts saying its better to do that then just stick to one calorie amount daily because it seems to keep your metabolism guessing or something? :lol: Whatever.... I just know it's workin for me!!!

luvja
09-01-2009, 12:07 AM
Good luck! :)

Angihas2
09-01-2009, 12:16 AM
I also do better with more calories and zig zagging. I stick between 1500-1600 on most days but one day a week, I jump up to 1800 or so, and one day a week I drop down to 1200. It works for me and it gives me a bit of a leeway on what I can have. SOme days, everything goes perfectly well, meals are planned and executed. Some days, actually MOST days, I eat on the fly, so I typically need a bit of padding once a week.

cfmama
09-01-2009, 01:40 AM
I've zig zagged in the past and it DOES worth... rather well. I think it was I dropped my calories and upped my exercise all at the same time... I'll give 1700 3 or so weeks... and if that does not work then I'll drop to 1500... I'll keep experimenting till this slowdown picks up ;)

girlonfire
09-01-2009, 07:51 AM
Well calorie counting for me right now is super hard because nutritional labeling is not required in France! But when I was calorie counting I lost about 6 lbs in just one month at 1500 and once I got here and started eating(and moving!) more I have lost 10 lbs in just a few weeks. I would estimate that I am eating around 1800 calories on the typical French diet, but I have no idea.

quiffy
09-01-2009, 10:37 AM
Last week I wasn't feeling all that great. We were unsure if it was overtraining or illness coming on, so the decision was made for me to stay away from the gym for 5 days and rest at home. I did pretty good with that. I also upped my calorie count from ~1500 to between 1700-2100 depending on the day. Each day I still had some where between 500-1000 calorie deficit. I ended up losing 5 lbs for the week. Granted now that I'm back on program in terms of the gym, I'm keeping my food closer to 1600 this week, I expect not to see a loss or possibly even a pound or so gain. It was just weird to loss so much in one week. Trainer stated, rest is good for the body. She agrees about the possibility of a no loss or even gain week.

We are also changing up my gym routine - gonna be interesting to see what my body does with it.

findingfawn
09-01-2009, 01:35 PM
We are about the same height and weight. Now of course I'm nursing and you aren't, but I eat about 1800-2000 a day and have been doing really good with that. Now I haven't been exercising, though that is my Sept goal for myself, I still have a hard time trying to get it in before everyone else is up.

Alana in Canada
09-01-2009, 02:30 PM
Mama--First--Congrats on your surgery! I am so relieved to hear it is finally done. Whew. :carrot:

Second, other things than food and exercise are related to weight--you know this. Stress is a big one. I'd say you were under a lot of stress this summer. Sleep deprivation, too. That can lead to a complete slow-down of your metabolism. Now that you aren't subject to agonizing pain for random hours at a stretch, I'd say those pounds will come off a little more quickly. You don't really want to stress your body with the weight loss itself, right now, so keep that in mind. I think that upping your calories for a bit is a great idea for that reason alone. Your body has been through a lot. Treat it well--as I know you will.

:hug:

BarbPA
09-01-2009, 03:02 PM
Hey CF! I think it could be a combination of things and you just need to experiement a little to see what works for you.

1. You've lost a great deal of weight! At some point it's highly likely to slow down.
2. May need to bump up exercise.
3. Stress and hormones can cause difficulty with weight.
4. May need to increase calories.

Etc, etc. You know that our bodies sometimes do crazy things!!!

I can totally relate. I pretty much stalled out from June-Aug. Just floating up and down a few pounds. I kept up with my 6-7 days per week of exercise and stuck to 1,800 calories per day. My trainer has been hesitant to drop my calories because he doesn't want me to lose too much muscle. He'd like to see the nice and steady 1-2 pounds a week. So would I, but it hasn't been happening lately. So, last week we agreed that I'd drop to 1,600 calories and really evaluate what I've been eating. I did that and I've dropped 5 pounds in just over a week! I think I just shocked my body back into the groove. I don't expect such dramatic losses at this stage in my journey, but I won't turn them down either.

Depending on what happens over the next few weeks I may stay where I am or slowly increase my calories again. Only because I'm also looking at my lean mass vs. fat measurements with my weight training.

Don't let this little blip frustrate you! You are doing AWESOME!!!!

:carrot::carrot::carrot:

cfmama
09-01-2009, 04:14 PM
Well I'm walking 12-15 miles per week... and I don't really want to increase that ;) I think for now 1700 will be good. I don't expect that I'll gain weight on it but it might nourish my body that much more so it will be willing to devote some of it's energy to weight loss again ;) Or else that's the hope.

And honestly? I'm not going to pile on weight eating 1700 calories a day, walking 15 miles a week, active ALL DAY and still being 234 lbs. It's not going to happen... or at least I hope not! It's all an experiment.

RRobin: I know I know. I just FEEL healed so I want to keep this moving along you know! Patience... not a strong point of mine.

Barb: I'm probably going to do the 1700 for 3 weeks or so and then drop again. But I do feel like I need these calories right now.

And honestly... I'm tired of calorie cycling right now. I just want to eat the same amount every day for a bit and be done with it.

starfishkitty
09-02-2009, 12:07 PM
Maybe you're thinking too hard about it? Enjoy the changes and allowable variety that calorie cycling can give you.... :)

As for amount of calories I ate a day at your weight... umm... pretty much what I'm still doing now.... which would be 1400 to 1800, give or take-ish. ;) :)