PCOS/Insulin Resistance Support Support for us with any of the following: Insulin Resistance, Syndrome X, Polycystic Ovarian Syndrome, or other endocrine disorders.

Closed Thread

Old 07-13-2002, 12:26 AM   #1  
WW Moderator

Default What is your diet plan?

What kind of diets are the PCOS members on? Jenniffer, you said something about a caveman diet. Is this the Neanderthin program or something unofficial?
Old 07-13-2002, 12:31 AM   #2  

S/C/G: 242.5/193.4/170

Height: 5'9"

I'm using plain-old, much-maligned Atkins. It's helping to control everything, including my missing/extended periods. No drugs, so I'm pretty happy right now.
Old 07-13-2002, 12:42 AM   #3  
WW Moderator

Default No drugs?

Cool! Glad it is working. By the way, has the weight gain leveled off from the smoking yet? How are your cravings going?
Old 07-13-2002, 10:22 AM   #4  

S/C/G: 242.5/193.4/170

Height: 5'9"

Talking The skinny on quitting!

Wish I had the control over myself that a lot of other quitters have. I just knew that I was going to have a hard time, so for a couple of months I allowed myself to eat pretty much whatever I wanted. Then, it was back to basics. I ate waaaaaaay too much candy and chewed gum til my jaw broke. I gained (gulp) over 15 pounds that 2 months. However, the worst part was I let my hormones get out of whack again. DUH! I didn't even realize that would happen. Anyway, long story short, my period is out of control again and so was my weight. So, I'm buckling down on it and I hope to get things straight again! The cravings aren't so bad anymore, but they still hit me from time to time, so I have to fight them also. It's worth it though. Thanks for asking!!
Old 07-14-2002, 12:15 AM   #5  
WW Moderator

Sherrie, I quit smoking almost 2 years ago and I still get cravings from time to time. I drink way too much decaf coffee now. I replaced one vice with another. One of the main things that keeps me from starting back again is that means I would gain weight again next time I quit! I can't afford another 10-15 pounds. Don't worry about 15, the average according to my doc is 10 so you are just a tad over! Sometimes when I want to smoke really bad I go outside with the smokers at work. Something about smelling that smoke helps me. I guess I AM getting a bit of exposure there, but it has to be small. Keep at it, the worst is REALLY over, I promise!!
Old 07-15-2002, 10:53 AM   #6  

Hehe..My "diet" is unofficial. I call it the caveman diet. I try to eat meat, veggies and fruit. Anything that was once living is good for me. Anything that is manmade is not good. I don't do well with "plans" or "strict rules, so I figured this one out on my own. I had great success before. Just been struggling for awhile now.

Old 07-15-2002, 11:56 PM   #7  
WW Moderator

That sounds interesting! I bought the Protein Power book second hand, then realized there is a new one out with different info. Grrr!
Old 07-26-2002, 11:01 AM   #8  
banned

hi there!

mind if i join in? im new to this thread, but despite what i am told truly believe i have IR&am on a reduced carb diet of my own making, but still struggle with my weight&am looking for support.
Old 07-26-2002, 12:01 PM   #9  
banned

anyone use a carb blocker? i do, it really helps me.
Old 07-26-2002, 11:55 PM   #10  
WW Moderator

Hi Andrea, nice to have you here! Did your doctor tell you that you were not IR?
Old 07-27-2002, 11:30 AM   #11  
banned

thanks jenn

she didnt tell me im not IR exactly, but said im not diabetic&i dont have PCOS which as i said b/f, i think shes wrong b/f all the signs seem to point in that direction&it seems the best way to handle it is by limiting insulin production as much as possible&along with diet, my starch blocker helps me do that w/o suffering too much. have a great weekend all
Old 08-02-2002, 03:03 PM   #12  

Hi Andrea..Curious. Who told you you didn't have PCOS & IR?

If it's a gyn you are looking to for endocrine problems...they will not help at all.

(Before you all scream...lol...MOST gyn's will NOT help you in any way)

Old 08-02-2002, 03:11 PM   #13  
banned

lol actually, it was an endo.
Old 08-07-2002, 10:08 AM   #14  

I've been on Weight Watchers since January 29, 2002 and have lost 42.4 lbs and 16.5 inches.

Last summer I went to an endocrinologist because of sweating around my hairline and was wondering if it has to do with my thyroid, I was already on medicine. Well, after two appointments and having to write him a letter I finally got a response. Many things were ruled out but I'm insulin resistant. He told me to go on a low carb diet and exercise and also take the thyroid he prescribed for me..Duh, I was already on thryroid medicine..so I gave up on him and went to my MD. My MD redid the thyroid test, I stayed on the same medicine and he recommened WW. Well, I didn't start WW until January after going to the ER with chest pains, which turned out fine.

I started reading stuff about PCOS and realized that I have many of the symptoms. In June I went to a new GYN. He needed me to do blood tests to see what my cholesterol and triglyceride levels were. Well, even those my triglycerides went down 156 pts. they are still over 200 so...he won't give me a new prescrip for birth control pills. We talked about going on Metformin but I decided to wait and see what happens since I'm losing weight and exercising. So, we'll see what happens next week when my "friend" is due.
Old 08-07-2002, 11:09 AM   #15  
banned

congrats jodie!
Closed Thread