Old 08-30-2009, 02:16 AM   #1  
Queen of Rationalization

S/C/G: 260/257/135

Height: 5'3

Default Your first step to exercise...

So tonight was the night I stopped procrastinating.

While sitting on my couch watching a repeat of the Biggest Loser and planning my trip to the gym tomorrow I remembered some advice from this board and I thought why wait 'til tomorrow to exercise?

But since I've moved and don't have any equipment in my new apt I did an arm routine from exercise tv with a bottle of soy sauce and a carton of salt. It wasn't the most intense exercise I ever had but it felt good just to get started.

So I wanted to ask...what was your first step towards exercise on this journey?
c_laura is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2009, 04:20 AM   #2  
moving the chains

S/C/G: 330/284/189

Height: 5'10"

It sounds strange because most people get lazier when they can drive... but learning to drive! I only learned to drive in May of this year and the first thing I did was drive to the gym and sign up! It was such a great feeling for me - I felt like my entry into adulthood had been delayed by not learning to drive until I was 23 and once I had that power I was going to use it to make myself the most fabulous I could be. Once I had the gym membership it was like riding a bike for me - I used to work out A LOT in high school.
nooch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2009, 05:26 AM   #3  
Woman On A Mission

S/C/G: 160/Ticker/125

Height: 5'4"

My first step was years of saying, "Monday I will go to the gym and work out 3 x a week". Well that would work, oh for about a week...and then start all over a few months later...vicious cycle.

Then in Feb, after months of talking to a friend how we both needed to lose weight, her and another friend started taking pilates. I had always wanted to do it and they were only a week ahead of me. Funny how they didn't ask me to go the first time they went.

The next thing I knew, I was doing pilates 2-3x a week.

We knew we had to motivate each other to get the job done.

After about a month or so, I started feeling good, so I went back to the gym that I have paid for for years and rarely used, and added a few mornings in. Needless to say, I now workout 6 days a week (sometimes 7) and have lost 30 lbs in the process.

I was always being the cheerleader and motivating them. They would say things like if you aren't going to the gym and/or pilates, let us know....I told them the only way I wasn't going was if I was on my death bed. They would tell me they weren't going (I didn't ask them to but they did anyway), and I would be oh well. I knew what I had to do for ME. They could do whatever they needed/wanted to do.

Ironically, the girl who motivated me to get started is so far behind me now that I think it is causing some jealously on her part.
Jacque9999 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2009, 08:45 AM   #4  
Resident Pixie

S/C/G: Pant Size - 28/12/8

Height: 5'2"

I started out walking in place 5-15 minutes and gradually built from that. Now I do 90 minutes, 5 days a week cardio and 3 days full body weight/strength. I use DVDs, the Wii, hand weights and stability ball.
Onederchic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2009, 09:20 AM   #5  
Former Quitter

S/C/G: 310/310/180

Height: 5'7

My first steps were Walk Away the Pounds dvds. I still do them every once in a whle.
GirlyGirlSebas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2009, 10:08 AM   #6  
Never surrender

S/C/G: 251 current/237 minigoal/180

Height: 5' 9"

love the soy sauce/salt carton improv, congrats on doing that too, I have had many hump moments with exercise (will I? won't I? do I have to??? heh heh).

My first step was literally a first step. I started walking in my neighborhood. I would do it rain, snow or shine. I like doing work outs at home, and I do lots of other stuff now, including the gym. In fact, thanks for making me think back, because on those first days of just going out and walking, I would never have been able to envision how much I can do now.
dragonwoman64 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2009, 10:24 AM   #7  

S/C/G: 278/see ticker/150

Height: 5'4

my first step was getting to the gym and walking 10 minutes on the treadmill.
Smiling_Sara is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2009, 10:38 AM   #8  
starting over again

I knew I had to take some type of exercise class where I would either have to finish it or deal with the shame of walking out in the middle, so I took a step class at the gym. I wanted to die halfway through but I made it until the end and felt so tired yet so good after it was over.
Marms is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2009, 10:46 AM   #9  
Must do this!!

S/C/G: 175/ticker/125

Height: 5'2

Wow...thanks everyone for posting. My problem is I start out good for about 2-3 weeks and then just stop....I don't think I've ever worked out for a whole month!!!!
LiL PiXiE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2009, 11:26 AM   #10  

S/C/G: 297/198/190

Height: 5'8"

my first step was to put on a knee length navy blue bathing suit and creep into the pool about fifteen minutes before closing time....

The first day I managed two laps of freestyle... Now I can do a half mile!
ubergirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2009, 12:10 PM   #11  

My first real step was ordering and starting the Jillian Michaels 30-Day Shred DVD. That made me realize I was not in shape as I thought I was. A real eye-opener indeed.

Last edited by SunshineCA; 08-30-2009 at 12:11 PM.
SunshineCA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2009, 02:58 PM   #12  
One day at a time!

S/C/G: 301/see ticker/160

Height: 5' 2"

My first step was just to move more than I had been. I got a perimeter and learned the first that I was only walking about 1000 steps a day. The second week, I upped my steps to 3000 and then started giving myself a higher minimum limit every week. Sometimes I would walk around the building after work to get some more steps in before getting in my car.

I also used the Walk Away the Pounds dvd and still use them on days that I have trouble walking outside or getting to the walking track.
time2lose is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2009, 04:08 PM   #13  

S/C/G: 297/198/190

Height: 5'8"

Quote:
Originally Posted by time2lose View Post
My first step was just to move more than I had been. I got a perimeter and learned the first that I was only walking about 1000 steps a day. The second week, I upped my steps to 3000 and then started giving myself a higher minimum limit every week. Sometimes I would walk around the building after work to get some more steps in before getting in my car.

I also used the Walk Away the Pounds dvd and still use them on days that I have trouble walking outside or getting to the walking track.
I've been wondering if I should get a pedometer...
ubergirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2009, 07:02 PM   #14  
Back in Action

S/C/G: 213/197/140

Height: 5'6"

I started out when I looked outside and noticed the lawn needed mowed. I thought maybe I could fit behind the steering wheel of the tractor, (I had lost about 80 pounds by then) but my stomach was still to big to sit and maneuver it comfortably...so I got out the push mower and started pushing. I mowed until I thought I was going to puke, and then the next day I started out where I left off. I repeated that everyday for a week until I had mowed our entire 2.5 acre yard with the push mower. By the time I got done, it was time to start the process all over again. NOW I can push mow the entire lawn in about 4 hours. (That includes one break). A few weeks ago I had to buy a new blade for the push mower, I had literally worn out the old one. My hubby (and sons) are thrilled because they never have to mow anymore.

Last edited by Lori Bell; 08-30-2009 at 07:04 PM.
Lori Bell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2009, 08:02 PM   #15  

S/C/G: 265/211/130

Height: 5'6"

About the end of March, I had been on my plan for about 6 weeks. I did a cardio DVD from time to time, walking my dog in the evenings, but did not have an exercise plan. I was flipping through a magazine on my hour lunch break at work one day when I realized I could get in some great walking instead of sitting during my lunch. My offices assistant director eats at her desk so she can take an aerobics class down the street, so I could eat at my desk before or after my lunch hour and have the whole hour free. I decided that I would just go around the block. I could go back to reading once I had done that one block. Well, once I was out there, it seemed silly to only go one block so I started going as far as I could during my break. Within a month, I was walking over 2 miles everyday. Now I can't stand not going. Some days I will have stuff I should work on (working on my Master's so there is always school stuff to work on) or it will be really hot, so I decide that I am not going to walk, but one o'clock comes around and I'm putting on my sneakers to go walk. I just kind of added stuff on after that.
WildThings is offline   Reply With Quote