Food Talk And Fabulous Finds - Hot Carrots & Mexican Food

View Full Version : Hot Carrots & Mexican Food

tweetlebeetle
08-29-2009, 11:01 AM
Ok-so, I've been lurking around for a while, and I have noticed several people mention when they go out to eat Mexican, they fill up on hot carrots first.
Now, I'm from Texas, and I have eaten a whole stinkin' lot of Mexican food (note my starting weight!), from Matamoros, Mexico, to Amarillo, and I have never had hot carrots.

Where do those of you who get hot carrots live to get such a thing offered?

And finally, to show my complete and utter ignorance--are you really talking about steamed carrots or spiced carrots or what? :dizzy:

nelie
08-29-2009, 11:03 AM
Tweetle - the carrots are common in California but I'm not sure where else might have them.

You can also find them in the grocery store or at least my grocery store in MD has them. They are carrots that are pickled but the pickling juice contains jalapeno juice. Also the carrots are often pickled with jalapenos.

Also, I don't know if you have ever bought a can of jalapenos but when I do, sometimes they come with a few carrots inside of it as well.

tweetlebeetle
08-29-2009, 11:09 AM
Thanks!

Pickeled carrots with peppers, now that makes sense.

I was picturing a basket of steamed carrots sitting in the middle of the table, and it just didn't mesh with my personal experiences of eating Mexican food.

nelie
08-29-2009, 11:10 AM
Here is a recipe I found as well:
http://mexicanfood.about.com/od/sidedishes/r/spicycarrots.htm

SunshineCA
08-29-2009, 07:37 PM
They're very common here and often served with other spicy veggies. Delish! ;)

tweetlebeetle
09-01-2009, 12:00 AM
I guess I've just never traveled far enough to the West. We need to get out more.

ThickAZChick
09-17-2009, 12:13 PM
tweetlebeetle- a Texan by birth!

They are those carrots cut in slices, jalapenos, cauliflower all pickled and jarred. I see them at parties mostly or in homes. I have yet to see them in restaurants (would love to as they taste soo good)! I am almost 100% certain if you hit the aisle in any grocery store you will see them where you would get your pickles. I also love pickled okra!

Jennifer 3FC
09-20-2009, 01:27 PM
Thanks!

Pickeled carrots with peppers, now that makes sense.

I was picturing a basket of steamed carrots sitting in the middle of the table, and it just didn't mesh with my personal experiences of eating Mexican food.

That's exactly what I thought! :lol: Mmm, hot pickled carrots sound really good. I'll have to try and find some. I've never seen them here, alone or in the jalapeņos.

tweetlebeetle
09-20-2009, 07:19 PM
Thanks, Jennifer! It makes me feel better to know that I'm not the only one that didn't get it.

I love Tex-Mex and Mexican so much. It's a treat now and not a staple, though, so I think I enjoy it now even more than before.

tommy
09-21-2009, 07:39 PM
Jennifer- the aisle and shelves where you find the Herdez salsa (you mentioned on another thread) is where I often find the japapenos and carrots. Unfortunately it is more pepper than carrot. I have peeled and sliced carrots, blanched or steamed just to take the hardness down a notch, and then transferred the contents of the jalapeno can to a glass jar. You may need to boil up a little vinegar to add to the jar to cover everything.

nelie
09-21-2009, 07:52 PM
When I next go to California, I'll take pictures of the hot carrots :) It is definitely a Mexican thing as opposed to Tex-Mex.

Tibouchina
10-04-2009, 09:16 PM
I am in Utah, and they have this at my favorite little mexican fast food place (authentic, not a big chain). Love it on mole tacos. Just adds a nice bite. My parents would eat these back home in CA, too.