Dieting with Obstacles - Hypo Thyroid/Goiter Issues

View Full Version : Hypo Thyroid/Goiter Issues

LunchLady
08-28-2009, 09:48 PM
I have had hypothyroidism for about 10 years and this forum is the first time I have ever heard of avoiding any foods totally. I have always taken my med in the am by itself without food. About 2 years ago I found a "lump" in my throat, had it checked and it turned out to be a goiter. The Dr's don't seem to be concerned, they are just monitoring it. My question: does anyone else have a goiter and do you ever feel that on some days it feels bigger than others? Does it feel like some days it is more in the way of your swallowing and your throat feels tired? ( I don't know how else to explain the wierd feeling) Do you think there are triggers that make it feel this way?

I probably need to have it measured again but am tired of paying for ultrasounds!

Dagny18
08-28-2009, 10:16 PM
I have been hypothyroid since the beginning of this year so I am very new at it. I started out having a swollen neck that I discounted because I was sick at the time (I figured it was a symptom of the flu) but yeah and it never went away!
At some times it really hurts! I hated turning my head from one side to the other because it would hurt then. It doesn't do that so much now. It usually hurts at night, and I think there are foods that they say seems to cause it but I love my broccoli and cauliflower and won't give them up! I think as long as they are washed and cooked, then they are ok? Soy is apparently bad too...something about slowing down your metabolism.
Well it hurts less now but I know it is still there. I had one ultrasound done on it and it confirmed that it was a goiter and will need ultrasounds to keep observing it.
Sometimes I think it chokes me...like swallowing is difficult even for things like vitamins and the other morning I choked on my cereal...:(

LunchLady
08-29-2009, 11:46 AM
That's how I feel! Sometimes my meds go down fine and other times I can't get even the small Levo down. I am going to have to watch what I am eating on the days it feels swollen and see if I can find a tie in.