Old 08-28-2009, 03:33 AM   #1  
Harl-E-quinn Groupie

Height: 5'6

Default nutrament

okie im pretty sure i spelled that wrong i apologize its a drink i think by nestle its got about 360 calories in there .... i was wondering if it would be ok to drink that in place of a breakfast evreyone says its so fattnning but i dont see how it could be at only 360 calories thats less than most ppl eat for breakfast anyways ... reason being i usually dont eat in the morning i dont have the time- not to mention im not a fan of most breakfast foods

my question is would i gain weight by replacing my breakfast with this?
CHUNKEY_MUNKEY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2009, 03:40 AM   #2  
Finding my wings...

S/C/G: 256/see ticker/156

Height: 5'2 and a freakin' HALF!

Well, I'm not TOTALLY as knowledgeable as some of the people on this board... but I think maybe you should look at the label and see what exactly those 360 calories consist of. If its all sugar or carbs or fat.... it's probably not that balanced or good for you. Calories don't mean everything.
starfishkitty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2009, 03:46 AM   #3  
Harl-E-quinn Groupie

the sugar and carbs were highish ... i dont still have the can so i couldent tell you for sure how high but it supposedly has a whole bunch of vitamins and minerals about 1/3 a days worth its supposed to be a sports drink

btw i couldent help but notice that your signature said you were going to india in december ... lucky you !! shopping there is fantastick ! i cant wait till my husband gets the time off of work so we can go back !
Old 08-28-2009, 03:51 AM   #4  
Finding my wings...

Hmmm... well if its not TOO high in both of those... with all the nutrients and whatnot and it actually does its job to fill you up so you don't randomly binge from the hunger...... I don't see why it wouldn't be okay. But like I said, I'm not exactly a nutritionist..... OR a senior member here!

And yeah... I'm REALLY looking forward to it!! I can't WAIT to go shopping there as well! hehe
Old 08-28-2009, 03:56 AM   #5  
Harl-E-quinn Groupie

make sure you take pictures ! nd have fun ! and as my mother always told me ... when shopping back home ( in her case in india ) the first price the vendor gives you is never the price bargin with them !
Old 08-28-2009, 03:59 AM   #6  
Finding my wings...

Thanks... I'll definitely keep that in mind! Makes sense too. I should be good, however, since my boyfriend lives there, is from there, and will probably be glued to my hip the entire time...
Old 08-28-2009, 08:09 AM   #7  

Height: 5'6"

I googled it, and here's what I came up with.

Nutrament:

Calories: 360
Fat: 10g
Sodium: 250mg
Total Carbs: 52g
Sugars: 47g
Protein: 16g

SlimFast High Protein:

Calories: 190
Fat: 5g
Sodium: 220mg
Total Carbs: 24g
Sugars: 13g
Protein: 15g

For comparison's sake, a regular size Snickers Bar:

Calories: 266
Fat: 11g
Sodium: 130mg
Total Carbs: 37g
Sugars: 28g
Protein: 5g

Last edited by bacilli; 08-28-2009 at 08:09 AM.
bacilli is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2009, 09:04 AM   #8  

S/C/G: 332/270/160

Height: 5"7'

Yes but she's going to use it as a meal replacement not a snack! I think that as long as you fit into your calories you should be fine! But that's just my opinion. I'm sure others will chime in as the day progresses that have more knowledge.
SnowboundChick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2009, 09:39 AM   #9  

Meal or not, if you're talking about sugar (as previous posts were), that's a lot of sugar for a 12 oz drink.
bacilli is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2009, 10:02 AM   #10  
Just Me

S/C/G: 364/--/182

The ingredients actually look pretty gross:
Skim milk, sugar, corn syrup, canola oil, high oleic sunflower oil, calcium caseinate, soy protein isolate, corn oil, sodium caseinate, artificial flavour, magnesium phosphate, magnesium chloride, carrageenan, soy lecithin, sodium ascorbate, ferrous sulfate, zinc sulfate, vitamin E acetate, niacinamide, calcium pantothenate, cupric sulfate, manganese sulfate, vitamin A palmitate, vitamin B6 hydrochloride, thiamine hydrochloride, riboflavin, chromium chloride, folic acid, vitamin D3, biotin, sodium molybdate, sodium selenite, vitamin K1, vitamin B12.

So it is mostly sugar and oil.
nelie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2009, 02:29 PM   #11  

S/C/G: 332/270/160

Height: 5"7'

And preservatives! Yuck!
SnowboundChick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2009, 02:45 PM   #12  

S/C/G: 288/seeticker/140

Height: 5'4"

if you take the "calories from fat" and multiple it by 5, and the number comes out higher than the actual calories its considered a "high fat" food because such a large % of calories are from fat. Now if the number is higher, multiple the "calories from fat" by 3, if the number is equal to or higher than the number of calories, its high fat, if its less than, its moderate fat. Unfortuantely, Nestle doesn't provide the calories from fat...which in itself to me would make me avoid it. And 10g of fat for a 12oz drink is extremely high.
TaraLee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2009, 02:52 PM   #13  
Long Time Member

My question is..how does it effect you after? All that sugar and fat may very well make you crave more sugar and fat and that's really the problem.
Sandi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2009, 04:54 PM   #14  

The only way to tell is to give it a go.
There are certainly healthier choices you can explore, but if the ingredients are something you normally eat and you think you can lose weight on them given your experience, and you are looking for an easy way to add calories in the morning, try it.

you could even try half a can mixed with protein powder and extra water. It will still be sugary enough for your taste, but a bigger nutritional bang.

Personally I need to eat heavy protein for breakfast (its actually my largest meal) All that sugar or even 'good carbs' like oatmeal, put me in a solid cranky coma.
thisisnotatest is offline   Reply With Quote