Old 08-26-2009, 08:50 PM   #1  

S/C/G: high285/resrart276/ticker/140

Height: 5'3"

Default Feeling the waters rise...

I'm beginning to feel like I'm in the ocean and the waters are on the rise almost to drowning point. I'm having a horrible time lately controling my urges to munch. It's the worst in the afternoons. I could easily munch from lunch until dinner then have another munch fest a few hours after dinner. I try to stick with good for me things.. then the jar of peanut butter starts screaming at me. I almost wish I could just not have it in the house, but we have 3 kids (plus a baby) and a small budget so PB&J has to be a staple in our home. I'm nursing the little guy exclusively and wonder if these urges are caused by that. I dont' want to offer myself any excuses.. but I also know that I need to listen to my body so that it can nourish the baby.
findingfawn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2009, 09:44 PM   #2  
Back in Action

S/C/G: 213/197/140

Height: 5'6"

What does your Ped say? Have you been given a calorie guide or something? I know WW used to have a pregnancy and lactating plan, but it was strictly a maintaince thing. I don't think you should really "diet" while nursing, (or have the rules changed?...sorry it's been awhile for me ).

Last edited by Lori Bell; 08-26-2009 at 09:45 PM.
Lori Bell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2009, 09:49 PM   #3  
Maintaining :)

S/C/G: 215/117/120

Height: 5'4"

I find that I need to eat often, and balance my calories 40/30/30 to keep from giving in to those cravings. Keep experimenting with what keeps the cravings at bay.

I keep some low cal - portion controlled snacks available for those times. It really seems to help
CountingDown is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2009, 10:26 PM   #4  

They say not to diet while pregnant.. but not to give in to every whim either. It's fine to eat smart... and a sensible number of calories whether you are nursing and even when you are pregnant. The biggest thing with nursing is making sure that the little guy is gaining weight consistantly... which he is. I aim for 1800 calories a day. I haven't been very strict on counting them, just guestimating and think I'm hitting about 1800-2000 a day lately. I just wish I could get a grip on the afternoon munchies.

ETA: They say you shouldn't go below 1800 a day while nursing, but a nutritionist just told me two weeks ago that I'm fine to go down to 1600 as long as I don't start to lose my milk.. I have an over supply issue, so she said it shouldn't be a problem for me... but the afternoon munchies would never ever let me get that low unless I could satisfy them with veggies.. which I can't (I eat a ton of them and still need something more).

Last edited by findingfawn; 08-26-2009 at 10:30 PM.
Old 08-27-2009, 12:04 AM   #5  
3 + years maintaining

S/C/G: 287/120's

Height: 5 foot nuthin'

I would try reworking your calories. Shifting them around. Also making sure each and every meal/snack has protein and or fiber in it. I know I have to make the very most from my calories. I need filling power and pure satisfaction. 100 calorie packs just don't do it for me.

Make sure you leave yourself some calories for that difficult time.

If veggies aren't doing it for you, I'd make sure to get in lots of protein - egg white omlettes, cottage cheese, yogurt, turkey and chicken breast, tuna, salmon, other fish, soy products, veggie burgers...
rockinrobin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2009, 01:05 AM   #6  
NEVER EVER going back

S/C/G: 377/240's/150

Height: 5 feet 5 inches

Nursing a baby on demand with no additional supplementation (for the baby) is roughly 500 extra calories a day that you should count into your diet. Check your counts and make sure you are not going to low!

*takes off breastfeeding counselor hat
cfmama is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2009, 01:08 AM   #7  

S/C/G: 270.6/161.0/150

Height: 5'8"

I hear you on the peanut butter thing! That jar frequently calls my name too!
momof5k is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2009, 06:26 AM   #8  
3 + years maintaining

S/C/G: 287/120's

Height: 5 foot nuthin'

The PB jar calls me as well. At least it used to. For me, it's that combination of high sugar and high fat that does it - combined with the, well, duh - peanuts. I've had to make it an "off limits" item. It's there for my family. They know moderation with it, I don't. Therefore it's a banned item for me. Having made the decision to do without it, as it's detrimental to my health, I no longer have to think about it. That's it. It's not mine. It's not earmarked for me. It's detrimental to my health. It's not an option TO eat it and therefore your tastes, wants and desires dries up for it. And it no longer calls your name. Freedom from the peanut butter jar! May sound drastic to some. But when your health is on the line - drastic measures are necessary.

Last edited by rockinrobin; 08-27-2009 at 06:28 AM.
rockinrobin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2009, 07:58 AM   #9  

CF.. you are so wise, I would love to see your hat collection I do have to watch and make sure I'm eating enough calories. I have a bad habit of when I pay attention to them, I go way under where I target myself to be. Feeding the little guy is my number 1 priority right now, and probably for at least a few more months.. he is 3 1/2 months and shows no interest in solids yet, and even after that I will have to make sure that I'm providing for him first.

Robin, you are so right... I think I need to cut it out completely, or only allow it in preplanned meals (sandwhich for lunch once in a while, and only after I don't feel out of control with it). It is one of my favorite foods and is definately a comfort food for me. It tends to be one of the first things I grab for when the kids all have me on my last nerve.