General chatter - SPCA exec dog dies after being in hot car for hours

cbmare
08-26-2009, 06:09 PM
I don't care that she didn't realize the dog was in the car. Her husband should have told her that he put the dog in the car. Couldn't she smell the dog? Didn't it make any noise?

http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/32569213/ns/us_news-life?gt1=43001

MugCanDoIt
08-26-2009, 06:49 PM
OMG! Poor dog, bless his/her heart.

Onederchic
08-26-2009, 06:56 PM
That is so heart breaking :(

Shannon in ATL
08-26-2009, 07:01 PM
Now that is just terrible. And somewhat ironic.

JulieJ08
08-26-2009, 07:01 PM
TBH, it sounds like excuses and stories. But who knows. Very sad indeed.

nelie
08-26-2009, 07:40 PM
Very sad. Who knows? Dog was 16, blind and deaf. My dogs are generally very quiet in the car and just sleep.

BelieveInChange
08-26-2009, 07:52 PM
That's terrible. :(

kaplods
08-26-2009, 08:26 PM
I do find it hard to believe that the woman intentionally left the dog behind, considering where she worked and that she often, but not always took him to work. It's tragic, and I imagine that she may end up being forced or pressured to resign, as many people will not be understanding.

My husband and I were talking about this general subject recently (mostly regarding babies and young children being left in cars and buses because the driver didn't know/remember they were there).

I told hubby that I was relieved that we didn't have small children, because with my fibromyalgia and other health issues (causing short-term memory and cognitive problems), if the baby fell asleep, I think I could forget he/she was in the car (a quiet dog, just as easily). I do super crazy things when I'm flaring. When it was at it's worst, just before diagnosis, I would leave pots on the stove, and forget I was cooking (didn't burn down the house, but ruined a lot of pots and pans). I'd put fish sticks in the pantry and the tv remote in the freezer. I think leaving a child or dog in the car would be very possible (I don't even carry a purse anymore, I lost it too many times. Hubby is now my important document carrier).

Hubby was telling me that there are new devices that are, or soon will be available for cars, that will remind the driver that a child (or dog) is in the car that needs to be attended to. One involves sensors in the car seats, and if the weight on the seats are not lifted within a number of minutes after the car shuts off, or when the car reaches a certain internal temperature, a loud alarm will sound.

The biggest problem with these devices though, is that for most people, I think a tragedy would almost have to happen before someone would think they needed one.

It's very sad.

cbmare
08-26-2009, 08:42 PM
Hubby was telling me that there are new devices that are, or soon will be available for cars, that will remind the driver that a child (or dog) is in the car that needs to be attended to. One involves sensors in the car seats, and if the weight on the seats are not lifted within a number of minutes after the car shuts off, or when the car reaches a certain internal temperature, a loud alarm will sound.

The biggest problem with these devices though, is that for most people, I think a tragedy would almost have to happen before someone would think they needed one.

It's very sad.

I AM NOT making light of this subject by any means. However, I had to chuckle a bit. It would be my luck that my embroidery machine (heavy) would be strapped into the back seat and my car would start screaming! LOL.

Unfortunately, I think you are right in your last statements.

Wolf Goddess
08-26-2009, 09:09 PM
When my father was working at Yuma in the summer, one of his coworkers took his 3-year old German Shepherd to work. He kept the windows of his car cracked, had plenty of water for the dog, and checked on it every hour or so.

At the end of the day, my dad had to remove the dog's body from the car, because the owner was too upset to.

nelie
08-26-2009, 09:19 PM
When my father was working at Yuma in the summer, one of his coworkers took his 3-year old German Shepherd to work. He kept the windows of his car cracked, had plenty of water for the dog, and checked on it every hour or so.

At the end of the day, my dad had to remove the dog's body from the car, because the owner was too upset to.

Wow, windows cracked in summer of Yuma is not good.

And from the way I read this article, the woman actually took her dog into work, meaning into the office. Some offices are animal friendly and I imagine the SPCA is such an office.

EZMONEY
08-26-2009, 09:30 PM
How sad....I am sure it was just an unfortunate mistake.

WOLF I am sorry your dad had to do that too. I have lived in Yuma...it isn't safe in the summer for anyone!

Sometimes I think people just don't realize hot hot the car gets....not the lady in the story of course, but the gentleman in Yuma.

Prayers for all!

iriswhispers
08-26-2009, 09:45 PM
I had a bumper sticker on my old car that said "too hot for spot" and a picture of a dog in a car and then said to leave dogs at home on hot days... this is a real hot button issue for me - I freak out when I see dogs in cars at the mall, etc. I am a huge dog lover and this kind of thing really upsets me. Then there's my dad, who INSISTS on taking his dog (his favorite child ;)) with him EVERYWHERE. I warn him constantly... *sigh*

SunshineCA
08-26-2009, 09:47 PM
:(

EZMONEY
08-26-2009, 10:01 PM
If my girls go with me to the store IRIS I make sure to bring an extra key for my truck....that way I can keep the truck running and the air going.

nelie
08-26-2009, 10:03 PM
People take their dogs to the mall? Uhh I don't go to the mall.

I take my dogs a lot of places but I wouldn't leave them in the car by themselves for an extended period of time. Usually it is spring/fall only and limited summer/winter days due to heat/cold.

walking2lose
08-26-2009, 10:14 PM
What a sad story. It is against the law in Virginia - I wonder what will happen to her.

EZMONEY
08-26-2009, 10:18 PM
it is against the law here in California too

nelie
08-26-2009, 10:27 PM
I'm wondering what the laws specifically say in various states. In MD, the law is you can't put your dog/animal in danger. Which means you could leave them in the car if they were 'safe'. Of course it leaves room for interpretation and an officer could cite you if they deemed your animals to be in danger.

Edited to add - I went and tried to find the Virginia law and there is no specific Virginia law unless it was adopted within the past couple months. Although you can be charged with 'cruelty to animals'.

California law looks to be similar to MD law in that it is a judgement call although I see other places that say it is against the law at any time in CA to leave your animal in the car unattended but that appears to be an interpretation of the law rather than the actual law.

JulieJ08
08-27-2009, 12:08 AM
California law looks to be similar to MD law in that it is a judgement call although I see other places that say it is against the law at any time in CA to leave your animal in the car unattended but that appears to be an interpretation of the law rather than the actual law.

I certainly always thought it was against the law in CA! I suppose I never had a need to clarify.

iriswhispers
08-27-2009, 01:09 AM
I wish there was a law in PA... people take their dogs everywhere and don't realize how dangerous it can be for just a short time and even if you have the windows cracked. There was a story in the paper this summer about a dog that died in about 80 degree weather for half an hour in a car.

At least I don't see it here in Arizona - I'd really lose it then!

ANOther
08-27-2009, 06:16 PM
If my girls go with me to the store IRIS I make sure to bring an extra key for my truck....that way I can keep the truck running and the air going.

And take the chance that your truck is going to be stolen while you're in the store?? Nuh-uh. Keep the girls @ home if it's so hot