30-Somethings - The Gym

View Full Version : The Gym

milesofsmiles
08-26-2009, 02:14 PM
I've had a gym membership since 1999.

There have been times when I go consistently for a year and then never go again for at least another year.

I am on on year 1.5 of not going. I NEED TO GO. What a waste of money.

I KNOW that all I have to do is 20 minutes to get myself back into the swing of it all, but I just don't go. I say I will go and then next thing I know, another month has gone by and my foot has not stepped back in.

I feel like I am just so lazy I guess. I don't like classes or walking the neighborhood, I actually prefer the gym and doing the elliptical or power walking.

How do you guys get yourself going?

I am thinking I just need to bring gym clothes with me to work and force myself to go right after work, as if it is part of my day. that way, I won't go home and snack before dinner and put my comfy clothes on-- once that happens, I am not going anywhere!

My job requires business attire and often times I go out after work for social stuff but I think I am ready to just start gyming it. Happy Hour is fun, but not when your clothes are too tight and you feel crappy about yourself.

milesofsmiles
08-26-2009, 02:14 PM
I'm just doinga bit of mind dump here-- thanks for listeing.

mkroyer
08-26-2009, 02:26 PM
go before work in the morning!!! Most of us dont have commitments at 6 am, or 7 am or 5 am or whatever...then it becomes a REAL habit, and you can go home after work and do whatever you want, cuz youve already worked out for the day!!

MoveMoveMove
08-26-2009, 02:27 PM
I know what you mean. I joined a gym in 2004 and went regularly for about a year. My work environment was pretty casual anyway and since I was stuck away in an office and rarely saw our students, I asked my boss if I could come dressed for the gym and he said yes. (He's a big gym fan) I didn't like changing clothes at work and this kept me from going home before heading to the gym. That turned out to be a good idea because after about a year I went home first for some reason and it was all down hill from there.

Finally in March of this year I cancelled the membership (that was the only time I had seen the inside of the gym in almost 3 years:fr:). If wasting $500 a year wasn't enough to motivate me to go, I could use the money for something else. Now I just walk by all the exercise equipment and videos I bought and watch them collect dust.

IV'E GOT TO GET BACK IN THE GAME ARHHHHHHHHHH

beerab
08-26-2009, 02:54 PM
Or you can give up your membership and work out from home. I hate the gym and got tired of making myself go. I felt like riding my car there was a waste of gas also.

I bought a treadmill on craigslist for $100 and it's a good one, probably cost $400+ at one point, then I bought a bowflex for $250 on craiglist, AND a few weeks ago I bought a bike, a helmet, and a few other things for like $150. Still less than what I spent in a year and I've found I'm more consistently exercising and thinking of it as part of my day now :)

Matilda08
08-26-2009, 04:20 PM
Find out what works for you but regardless you're going to have to do something. I walked at first and managed to lose 25lbs last year but got bored with it and gained some weight back I joined a gym and I love it they just have so many options and classes. I also go for walks when need be and whatever else helps keep me active and busy.

Once you make it a habit it gets better! Good luck

happeningf
08-26-2009, 04:41 PM
Do a class, with a friend

mortonpixie
08-26-2009, 05:35 PM
I agree with the ditching the gym membership and working out from home. I lost 85lbs in 2004 and never went to the gym. I did workout tapes. I have 4 children and a home daycare - who has time to go to the gym??

belezura
08-26-2009, 05:44 PM
My trick?!?!?
I do what yourself said. The only way it works for me.
I bring a backpack with my gym stuff to work and when I leave I go straight to the gym.
There I change and after that what I am going to do? Leaving and going home??
No... so I force myself to walk in and just do it.
Work out and only go home afterwards.
It works great for me. Because I keep thinking: If I went home, I would probably be eating by now... but instead I am working out.
That thought make me feel good!!!
So, just do it. Like it was part of your work. Do NOT go home before working out.
When you start seeing results you will feel motivated!
Good luck!

milesofsmiles
08-26-2009, 05:56 PM
You guys are awesome--- thanks so much! It's nice to know others have that same feeling that I do. It means a lot.

harrismm
08-26-2009, 06:07 PM
I havnt read all responses.But canceling membership and taking the 500 to buy a treadmill or exercise bike plus some inexpensive free weights might be beneficial.Some people like the gym environment...others do better at home.

milesofsmiles
08-26-2009, 06:19 PM
I like the gym environement when I am smaller. I am thinking about getting an eliptical or cross trainer-- now I have to some homework on brands prices, used vs new all that good stuff. Anyone have a brand they suggest? Is there a sub-board anywhere on here about that?

BillBlueEyes
08-26-2009, 08:29 PM
When I started my journey, I was eating a huge amount of cheese and crackers after work before dinner. So, I joined a gym to fill that time. It works for me.

I paid for three years in advance just to embarrass myself into going; I'm too cheap to let that pile of money go unused.

Good luck figuring out what'll work for you.

Smiling_Sara
08-26-2009, 09:17 PM
honestly, I look at going to the gym like i look at waking up in the morning, or brushing my teeth when really tired. I don't wanna get up, but if I don't I will get fired and not have money to pay bills, I don't wanna take the time to brush my teeth when I'm tired, but I have to, or I'll get rank breath and rotten teeth, I may not want to work out in the gym, but I have to, cause it's the only way to get the body I want and the route to take to becoming healthy.

so, basically, I look at it as part of my job.

milesofsmiles
08-27-2009, 12:47 AM
BornToFly-- I need that kind of mentality- can you send me more thru the computer please? :) I will get there, I just need to start some new habits.

Wifey
08-27-2009, 09:51 AM
I'm not one to talk...I've had a gym membership since 2006. I used to go quite consistently...up until March/April of this year...I haven't been since then and it's coming up to my renewal in October.

DH has bugged me b/c I've wasted $25-30 each month by not going to the gym.

I think I'll be getting my arse in gear and going to the gym this weekend!

I have a hard time going to the gym right after work because a) I usually don't have someone to go with and b) I've got an 11 month old puppy at home who's by himself all day and needs to be let out and walked. I feel guilty...

Smiling_Sara
09-01-2009, 10:45 AM
BornToFly-- I need that kind of mentality- can you send me more thru the computer please? :) I will get there, I just need to start some new habits.

Of course!! *Sends gym vibes through computer*

Also, just to add, I didn't always have this mentality. I went to the gym on and off for 3 years before I got serious about excersize. This mentality prob came about 18 months ago. If you take yourself to the gym even when you don't want to, chances are you will feel better after you get some sweat on. I know I do, and I actually crave it after work now. It's just part of the routine.

Harps
09-02-2009, 10:20 AM
milesofsmiles-

I've read several similar thoughts to my own, as in; Get up early and go before work. I just started doing this about 3-4 weeks ago and even though I am a bit tired its so worth it! Its now part of my routine and I just don't mess with it!

My personal mental strength/conviction about the gym has come from an interesting place though - I have a relentless mind and have had anxiety about my physical appearance ever since I was child. That didn't stop me from being quite fat and never exercising, so my anxiety just sprialed. (I have lots of anxiety though, I agonoize about most things, but FOOD and WEIGHT are the biggest problems for me, they stress me out real bad to the point of neurosis and I irritate myself and everyone around me) ANYHOO, I discovered that going to the gym became my CURE ALL. I eat healthy enough, but I don't stress too too much because I know that every morning (atleast 5 days a week) I am off to the gym for an hour of intense working out! I am satisfied in knowing that I am actively doing something about my appearance, so all of my "I don't wannas" melt away because going to the gym has become my therapy. It quiets my mind. I don't hate myself nearly as much and if I eat terribly, well, I work harder at the gym...

milesofsmiles
09-03-2009, 01:23 AM
Aw, thanks for the VIBES, BornToFly! that was sweet.

Harps- Glad you found your peace with it. I am into my looks as well, even when i am overweight, i start the self loathing. No good.

I still have not gone to the gym yet--- I am planning on going this weekend with my husband though. He said if anything, he will encourage me to go on the weekend, when i have plenty of time.

He knows this gym thing is a double edged sword, if he bugs me about it, I get mad, if he doesn't, I get mad.... yeah, that's not cool.

So we decided, this weekend will be my gym trip. Looking forward to it as much as dreading it.

talesfromafatgirl
09-07-2009, 09:50 AM
I hired a personal trainer to help me learn what needs to be done to be successful at the gym. I have tried so many other things to get going on exercise and liked it, but with my trainer I have learned to love it. I also feel that I am doing it all "right" by starting slow and building endurance. If someone can afford even a few sessions it will be beneficial.

Skullarix
09-07-2009, 10:36 AM
I had a gym membership and stopped gonig, and cancles it after having it for about three years and not going. Then just a year a go I got it back. I have to say there are times when I look at my treadmill at home and would rather do ANYTHING but get on it, thats when I hit the gym and do one of their machines. I always tell myself I'm going to go to a class but I haven't yet.

I signed up with a trainer too, they can be very helpful. I have to say I like the gym...

BornToFly~ I'm having an affair with Elly the Elliptical machine

Smiling_Sara
09-11-2009, 01:37 PM
Aw, thanks for the VIBES, BornToFly! that was sweet.

Harps- Glad you found your peace with it. I am into my looks as well, even when i am overweight, i start the self loathing. No good.

I still have not gone to the gym yet--- I am planning on going this weekend with my husband though. He said if anything, he will encourage me to go on the weekend, when i have plenty of time.

He knows this gym thing is a double edged sword, if he bugs me about it, I get mad, if he doesn't, I get mad.... yeah, that's not cool.

So we decided, this weekend will be my gym trip. Looking forward to it as much as dreading it.

Good Luck going to the gym, let us know how it goes?

Smiling_Sara
09-11-2009, 01:39 PM
I had a gym membership and stopped gonig, and cancles it after having it for about three years and not going. Then just a year a go I got it back. I have to say there are times when I look at my treadmill at home and would rather do ANYTHING but get on it, thats when I hit the gym and do one of their machines. I always tell myself I'm going to go to a class but I haven't yet.

I signed up with a trainer too, they can be very helpful. I have to say I like the gym...

BornToFly~ I'm having an affair with Elly the Elliptical machine

lol, that's awesome skullarix! Elly the Elliptical!

I might look into a trainer. I don't know why I haven't yet. Guess it's just fear of not knowing what to expect. I also want to do a class of something, yoga maybe? just to mix things up. But haven't taken that step.

Wifey
09-14-2009, 09:32 AM
I still haven't been back to the gym yet....someone wanna kick me in the butt? :lol3:

I'm going to try to go at least twice this week, to start! :dust:

diabetic z
09-16-2009, 06:38 AM
Here you go, Wifey. :kickbutt: Also sending you some of this. :dust: Now get off your duff and get to the gym. :D

milesofsmiles
09-17-2009, 02:25 AM
Hello! I went and I survived! :)

I still want to get an elliptical for home-- I just don't feel comfortable in the gym like I used to, that feeling really sucks. So my plan is to buy a used one at Play It Again Sports and I get to see it and try it out, do some research on the ones I like and then purchase one.

I would like to lose at least 20 lbs before I set foot back in that gym. I know such a silly outlook but really I just did not feel comfortable in that place.

I bought a 30 session pre-paid trainer pack and used 10 of them years ago and really liked it--- I felt like I was taught how to use the machines, do exercises I would have never thought of doing and use the free weights--- I still have another 20 sessions to use up (they don't expire)-- silly me would rather lose some weight before i actually sue the trainer again. I know. I know.

So that is where I am at.
I really appreciate everyone being so kind and motivating--- I know this is a topic that we all can relate to, that is why I like coming on the forum.

Mollz
09-18-2009, 01:28 AM
I've just gotten back to the gym after a 4 month holiday while I got my job sorted. I'm sure the teachers out there can agree that the last thing you want to do after school is go to the gym- especially if you've got the kind of kids that I've got!

I'm on a 4-day-a-week plan, and managed to make all 4 sessions even if I was dead tired. I find it's a great pick-up, though when I'm finished, it's right back to being dead tired. Only problem is that my body's retaining water, so every morning on the scales, I've been weighing more and more. :tantrum:

Time to get ready for tea: going out to celebrate a friend's partner's birthday. I don't want to pig out. Won't do it. I will eat right.

:dust:

DanC73
09-20-2009, 09:21 AM
My wife and I had our gym memberships for the past year and a half and have used it sporadically. I honestly think I have used the gym more the past week (six times) than over the previous eighteen months.

milesofsmiles
09-20-2009, 11:16 PM
That's awesome, DAN! Just gotta get back on track and sounds like you are getting on track!

Smiling_Sara
09-21-2009, 12:02 PM
Hello! I went and I survived! :)

I still want to get an elliptical for home-- I just don't feel comfortable in the gym like I used to, that feeling really sucks. So my plan is to buy a used one at Play It Again Sports and I get to see it and try it out, do some research on the ones I like and then purchase one.

I would like to lose at least 20 lbs before I set foot back in that gym. I know such a silly outlook but really I just did not feel comfortable in that place.

I bought a 30 session pre-paid trainer pack and used 10 of them years ago and really liked it--- I felt like I was taught how to use the machines, do exercises I would have never thought of doing and use the free weights--- I still have another 20 sessions to use up (they don't expire)-- silly me would rather lose some weight before i actually sue the trainer again. I know. I know.

So that is where I am at.
I really appreciate everyone being so kind and motivating--- I know this is a topic that we all can relate to, that is why I like coming on the forum.

I would like to use a trainer as well, but feel the same as you, that I'd like to lose more weight before using one. Silly, I know.

I don't feel that way about going to the gym any longer. I finally feel like I belong to the gym, I'm a gym person now. Seems crazy at my weight to say I'm a gym person, but I really am.

Congrats on going, it just gets easier, I promise