Weight Loss Surgery - WLS Patient Personal Info

View Full Version : WLS Patient Personal Info

wikkki
07-11-2002, 01:15 PM

Geographical location: Alabama

Marital Status: Happy (single)

Children/Ages: 1 - male - 15 going on 30

Pets: Gator Hawg Dawg (big ole yeller lab), Rosie Frawg Dawg (cocker/shitzu/lhasa mix), Smokie the Stupid (husky/lab mix), Sassy Marie (gray and white long hair cat - can't meow), Gateway (black and white spotted cat - explains the name, huh) and Lil-Bit (very tiny sealpoint cat)

Hobbies/Interests: Painting children's furniture (anything artsy), gardening, walking, home improvement (not really an interest - just an necessity)

Height: 5'3"

Eye/Hair Color: Blonde/Green

Starting Date of Weightloss Journey: 5/9/02

Starting Weight: 321

Present Weight: 280

Goal Weight: 150-170

Biggest hurdle to overcome in weightloss: Drinking the water and getting in enough protein.

Following any specific plan: WLS

What is different this time in your weight loss efforts than in the past: So far this one actually works!

Anything else you would like to share with us: My personal goal is to lose 100 pounds total by Christmas. That should put me in a size 18/20. So far 41 pounds down in 2 months - I think I can do it.

E-mail: wikkki@aol.com

jiffypop
07-11-2002, 08:41 PM

Geographical location: northern new jersey

Marital Status: never married

Children/Ages: none

Occupation: medical writer and editor; currently Editorial Director of a company that does continuing medical education for MDs

Pets: a spoiled black cat

Hobbies/Interests: music, needlework, reading, swimming, hiking, birding

Height: 5'9"

Eye/Hair Color: brown/dark brown

Date of Surgery: January 29, 2002

Type of Surgery: Roux en Y gastric bypass

Starting Date of Weightloss Journey: high school!!!!

Starting Weight: highest weight ever recorded: 506 in august, 2001

Weight at surgery: 409

Present Weight: 239 [down 267 since aug/sept 2001]

Goal Weight: 180 or so, although some docs think i should stop at around 200, but one doc wants me down at 150. we'll see!!!!

Biggest hurdle to overcome in managing after WLS: currently having trouble maintaining exercise and stamina

Anything else you would like to share with us:

i had the surgery not only because i was near death [really... a 5 week hospital stay plus 3 weeks in a nursing home learning how to walk again. it was awful!!], but also because i don't want to regain the weight!!

debkay
07-13-2002, 11:56 AM
name: Debbie

location: Snellville, GA ('burb of Atlanta) I'm actually from the Northern Virginia area, we have lived in Ga for almost 10 years

marital status: married 22 years on Friday July 19th

children/ages: Michael 21, Joey 20 in September, and my baby girl Laura 16

pets: Charley, 3 year old mixed breed, my son adopted him from the pound, and Bubba our 9 year old long haired redneck cat.

Hobbies/Interests: I like to cross stitch, read, and when my weight is more under control I will garden. I'm a die hard Washington Redskins fan and I just love the Atlanta Braves!!

Height: Almost 5' 5"

eye/hair color: brown eyes, and highlighted hair

starting date of weightloss journey: my surgery was January 14th 2002.

starting weight: all time high was 360

present weight: 215

goal weight: not sure, when I walked down the aisle I weighed 200 pounds, I looked and felt good at that weight, but my surgeon says I will probably end up around 175.

anything else you would like to share with us: even tho I had severe complications from the surgery, I can now say it was worth it.

ageoldie
07-13-2002, 07:00 PM
I dedided to jump in here with a combination of info on me and my DH ALvin. He's the one who had the actual surgery, but I have the "living with it" job.

name: Barbara (Alvin)

marital status: married 36 years in Jan.

children/ages: Michael 35, Mark 34, and one grandson Nathan age 4 (he's Mike's)

occupation: We own a business that sells parts for Mustangs. Our website is www.ageclassic.com

pets: We have 2 cats at home Odie and Oliver, and 2 cats at work Blacky and Smokey

Hobbies/Interests: We both like antiques, are involved in our Church, and love horsesracing. Myself personally, I consider my hobbies as weight loss and nutrition, needlework crafts, AVON and reading

Height: Almost 5' 6" for me 6'2" for Alvin

eye/hair color: brown eyes, and highlighted hair for me, brown hair , red hair gone dark for Alvin

starting date of weightloss journey: His surgery was April 19th 2002. and I started anew on 5/1/02

starting weight: on day of surgery his weight was 577. My previous weight that was "Official" was 293 for my pre-op exam for my knee replacement surgery on 2/1/02

present weight: his about 475, mine 263 as of Tuesday (on the same doctors scales as the 293)

goal weight: His is 250, mine is about 156

anything else you would like to share with us: Just that it's as difficult for the "caregiver" for the WLS patient as it is for the patient.(except I don't throw up
:smug: :smug:

debkay
08-13-2002, 06:46 AM
Anyone else care to join us???

Pretty please!!

Debbie

Dawnajoy
08-20-2002, 01:13 AM
NAME: Dawna

MARITAL STATUS: Divorced

CHILDREN: 17-year-old boy, 14-year-old girl, 12-year-old boy

PETS: 1-year-old black lab

HEIGHT: 5'4"

PREOP WEIGHT: 324

SURGERY DATE: 04/20/01

TYPE OF WLS: Duodenal switch

PRESENT WEIGHT: 170ish

THOUGHTS: I would have WLS again in a heartbeat. It is by far the best thing I ever did for myself. I am committed to exercise, vitamin supplementation and proper eating (healthy eating for DS postops). I am determined not to live my life as a smaller obese person but to really take the gift I have been given, and do the things I couldn't before. I feel re-born.

MissMew
08-20-2002, 11:12 AM
Thoughht I'd introduce myself here even though I am still pre-op...

My name is Tammy, I am almost 31 years old (next month), married to a really great guy...we have two young boys (5 1/2 and 3) and live in Canada.

I am currently waiting for my first consultation with two different surgeons. Thie first surgeon does RNY, and my appt with him is Dec 2. The other surgeon does DS (which I'd prefer), and I am waiting for them to call with my first consult appointment...they book your consult and pre-op testing all on the same day if you are travelling a long distance (3-4 hours for me), so that is why I am waiting for this appointment. Most likely I will go with the second doctor, as his waiting times are a bit shorter...I am guestimating my consult will be in November and surgery around March...again, it is hard to say as many people have been trying to get in with this doctor recently. He had been "unheard of" until late, he was trying to keep quiet until he was able to change his practice to do only WLS, so many people didn't know about him.

Anyways, I can't wait to be on the other side. I want to be healthy again, to stop having so many problems related to my weight, to be able to exercise and run after my kids...well, you know all those reasons.
;)

DreamSmall
08-20-2002, 02:14 PM

Geographical location: Pennsylvania

Marital Status: Married

Children/Ages: 2 boys ... 3 years and 10 years

Pets: A lab named Charlie, a pug named Mugsy, a cat named Slash and our most recent addition ... a small plastic aquarium of Sea Monkeys of which I have only named 2... Bruno and Chloe.

Hobbies/Interests: Writing in my journal, crafts, cross stitch and walking.

Height: 5'10"

Eye/Hair Color: Brown/Dark Brown

Type and date of WLS: Laproscopic Roux en Y performed on 2-19-2001

Starting Weight: 295

Present Weight: 187

Goal Weight: 160-170

Biggest hurdle to overcome in weightloss: Getting in protein and battling with Fat Debbie(she's the piece of me that wants to stay fat because it keeps us from dealing with real issues)

Following any specific plan: WLS, 1100 -1300 calories and walking daily... 5 miles at a pace of 4.5 MPH.

What is different this time in your weight loss efforts than in the past: WLS definitely made things easier in the beginning and this time I have actually learned about myself and am making serious life changes.

Anything else you would like to share with us: My personal goals are to reach and maintain my goal weight while eating relatively normal and I want to be able to walk at a pace of 5 MPH which is 12 minutes a mile and right now I can only do a 13.4 minute mile. This surgery has been the best (physically) and the worse (mentally and emotionally) thing that I have ever done. I would do it again in a heartbeat.

E-mail: dreaming_small@hotmail.com

jiffypop
08-20-2002, 08:34 PM
welcome to the new group, tammy and debbie... and please post often!!!

and tammy, i remember you from 100 pound. i didn't realize you were thinking about the surgery [or it didn't dawn on me!].

hope you'll keep us posted.

and debbie.. i'm really interested in support groups. do you have one? what's it like?

debkay
10-09-2002, 08:18 PM
bump

debkay
11-21-2002, 11:07 AM
Bump........AGAIN!!!!

jiffypop
11-26-2002, 05:40 PM
with all you're doing these days, could you maybe find the time to turn this into a sticky????

thanks..

Ruthxxx
11-28-2002, 09:34 AM
You mean I am a lurker? :lol: Consider it done.
Sorry I missed it yesterday - I was otherwise engaged. :D

jiffypop
11-28-2002, 01:34 PM
you're the BOSS...

and very brave to be posting after your wrist surgery. thank you!!!!

csbutton
12-11-2002, 12:24 PM

Geographical location: Washington

Marital Status: Married (11 years)

Children/Ages: Son-9yo, Son-6yo, Daughter 4-yo

Occupation: Web Designer, SAHM/WAHM, cheif cook and bottle washer

Pets: 1 Cat, calico and persian mix...

Hobbies/Interests: My family, community theatre (yes I can dance act and sing) Playing piano, working on my house

Eye/Hair Color: Dark Brown

Starting Date of Weightloss Journey: Surgery date 12-18-02

Starting Weight: 262 was my heaviest (before surgery)

Present Weight: 223

Goal Weight: 150 (or even a size 14)

Biggest hurdle to overcome in weightloss: So far it's battling my will power (which is why I choose the Lap-Band, to help with this battle)

Following any specific plan: Lap-Band Surgery on Dec 8, 2002

What is different this time in your weight loss efforts than in the past: Perhaps because I am making a HUGE decisions not follow a fad diet but to do something more semi-permanent

Anything else you would like to share with us: I just want to be one of the 'normal sized' people. Not too thin, a size 14 would be nice.

E-mail: amy@nwtechdesign.com

AmyLyn
12-12-2002, 10:51 AM

Geographical location: Connecticut

Marital Status: Happily Married

Children/Ages: None Yet

Pets: four annoying cats

Hobbies/Interests: Scrapbooking, Photography

Height: 5'4"

Eye/Hair Color: Light Brown/Hazel

Starting Date of Weightloss Journey: 08/07/02

Starting Weight: 308

Present Weight: 231

Goal Weight: 140ish

Biggest hurdle to overcome in weightloss: Protein, Protein, Protein

What is different this time in your weight loss efforts than in the past: I am actually consistently loosing!

Anything else you would like to share with us: My personal goal originally was to loose 100 pounds by my DisneyWorld trip in January. I am at 231 now, so not sure I will make it, but still trying hard! :)

jburress
12-14-2002, 09:04 AM

Geographical Location: South Central Kentucky

Marital Status: Very happily married

Children: Shelly - 10 year old Sheltland Sheepdog, Mulloy - 4 Year old Sheltland Sheepdog, Rose P. Budd - 2 year old Maine Coon Cat

Hobbies: Sewing, Embroidery, Scrapbooking, cooking, reading, spending time with my husband and babies

Height: 5'6"

Hair/Eye Color: Colored enhanced Brown w/artifical grey roots/ Brown

Starting Date of Present Weight loss journey: December 10, 2002

Starting Weight: 262

Present Weight: 262

Goal Weight: 145

I have just begun my WLS journey. I went to an Introductory Seminar on 12/10/02. I have an appointment for a consultation on 12/31/02.

crystalitis
12-31-2002, 09:41 PM
Geographic Location: SW Pennsylania
Marital Status: Very happily married (okay most of the time Happily married)
Children: Abbey-11 year old cat; Zoe-3 year old cat; Isabel-3 year old golden retriever; Baylee-1 year old retriever
Hobbies-my children (see above), reading, cross stitching, surfing the web
Weight at start 274
Surgery Date: Dec 13, 2001
Present Weight: 217

I had my WLS a year ago and I am what is considered a revision. I had a stomach stapling proceedure done approx 22 years ago and did keep off about 80# but as time passed by, I packed on a few more pounds than I care to admit and become diabetic.

I would do this surgery again in a heartbeat (and have..lol) but one problem I am having is that revisions do not lose as much or as fast as a newbie (according to my surgeon). So I only want to lose another 42 pounds and it just isn't happening. I do stay positive with the fact that I am no longer considered a diabetic and am no longer on my diabetic medicine. I also feel pretty darn good.

Happy new Year
Crystal

Haziefrog
01-24-2003, 06:16 AM

location: McDonough, Ga, but originally born and raised in Central America (Panama)!!

Marital Status: Married 8 years to a Wonderful man!!

Children/Ages: 4 sons, I am the Queen of my castle!!!
Matt 15, Chris 7, Jacob 2, Andrew 1!!!!!

Pets: Chi-chi our 4 pound chihuahua princess and Miss Piggy our Guinea pig (see the trend I live with all males except our pets)I have to add our new baby pig her name is Piggy!!!!!

Hobbies/Interests: Anything outdoors, candy making, baking,

Eye/Hair Color: Hazel/was brown now brown and gray

Date of Surgery: Febuary 5th 2003

Type of Surgery: Lap Roux en Y gastric bypass

Starting Date of Weightloss Journey: April 2002

Starting Weight: highest weight ever recorded: 325, August 2002

Weight at surgery: 282

Present Weight: 199

Goal Weight:140, anything under 200 would be great but the charts say 126!!!

Biggest hurdle to overcome in managing after WLS: Don't know not there yet!!

Anything else you would like to share with us: can't think it is too early in the am!!

loranden
04-09-2003, 02:53 PM

Geographical location: McKeesport, PA (13 miles SE of Pittsburgh)

Marital Status: Single and love it!

Children/Ages: None

Pets: Two domestic shorthair cats that I took in as strays: Tigger, age 5, a Bengal/Ocicat/tabby mix, and Noah, 3, an orange/white tabby. They even have their own website (http://pages.ivillage.com/loranden/tiggerandnoah)

Hobbies/Interests: Drawing and painting, theater, ballet, classical and oldies music, collecting cat-themed artifacts, TICA and CFA cat shows, volunteering at animal shelters, reading non-fiction and classic fiction works, classic movies, watching football and NASCAR

Eye/Hair Color: Dark Brown (front and sides frosted blond)/Blue

Starting Date of Weightloss Journey: 3/1/03

Starting Weight: 351

Present Weight: 329

Goal Weight: 195 (for the moment)

Biggest hurdle to overcome in weightloss: Restricting the fat intake and cutting down the sugar, but I am managing :)

Following any specific plan: 1500 calorie plan recommended by the American Diabetes Association; I have also made an appointment with a bariatric surgeon for 8/25/03

What is different this time in your weight loss efforts than in the past: Finding this forum

Anything else you would like to share with us: I have more energy and my knees don't hurt as much and aren't as stiff as they were!

E-mail:Loranden1@gopittsburgh.com (mailto:Loranden1@gopittsburgh.com)

miatia
05-08-2003, 01:24 PM
Hellooo? Is this area still active-ish?

I'm just so excited that I wanted to post EVerywhere I go!

I finally got a date for my gastric bypass. yahooo!

Will talk more later, hope you're all doin' ok!
:)

~Mia

http://www.2x60.com
2x60=120lbs

clearancequeenie
06-15-2003, 10:46 AM
Real name Cathie

geographic location Georgia

Age 38:o

marital status.. Married 16 yrs to a career navy guy..:s:

Children 3 boys.. Joshua 15, Tyler 12 and Austin 8

Occupation .. Stay at home mom and Navy wife.. going to look for employment after summer though..

Pets 2 dogs.. Bailey a 1 yr old Boston Terrier and she is a Mess.. And a weiner dog/Rottie mix.. named Stubby. He looks like a weiner dog on steriods.

Hobbies, collecting bear figurines, water aerobics, clearanceshopping hence the name LOL>..

Height 5foot 3 inches

Hair dark brown/blackish

Starting date of weight loss journey 9/3/02

Weight loss surgery date 3/17/03

Starting weight 251 ( highest weight 256)

Present weight 205

Goal weight 135

Biggest hurdle to overcome in weightloss HEAD HUNGER, and getting enough water

Following any specific plan: Following the plan the surgeon gave me.

What is different this time in your weight loss efforts than in the past: I am actually loosing weight . The scale is going down not up LOL

Anything else you would like to share with us: I just wanted to say this surgery has changed my life. I had my first normal cardio appt in 10 yrs.. I hope to make my goal weight by Christmas but if I dont thats ok.. I went from a size 24/26 to a 16/18 and loving life now:cb:

Tiffany123
06-21-2003, 10:16 PM

Geographical location: Illinois

Marital Status: Married since 1/03

Children/Ages: 15 year old daughter, 15 year old step-daughter and a 9 year old step daughter!

Pets: Tazz, a somewhat prissy male Pomeranian.

Hobbies/Interests: Baking, reading, travel, internet.

Height: 5'8"

Eye/Hair Color: Blue Eyes, Brown Hair

Starting Date of Weightloss Journey: 6/18/03

Starting Weight: 283

Present Weight: 283 (Just getting started)

Biggest hurdle to overcome in weightloss: I anticipate it will be drinking the water and getting in enough protein.

What is different this time in your weight loss efforts than in the past: I am committed to making this work. I will not have another failure.

Anything else you would like to share with us: I am so glad to have found a place to talk with friends who understand what I am and will be going through. Thank you all.

E-mail: TiffanyWolfe@mchsi.com

DragonMyst
07-10-2003, 04:33 PM

Geographical location: Sylacauga, Alabama (half way between Birmingham and Montgomery)

Marital Status: Happily Married!

Children/Ages: Two Step sons ages 10 and 7

Pets: Two Wienner dogs, a boy and a girl. Names General George Armstrong Custer and Elizabeth Bacon Custer :) Tabby Cat named Tabitha

Hobbies/Interests: Reading vampire novels and watching Buffy and Angel on DVD

Height: Some where between 5'5" and 5'7"

Eye/Hair Color: Green Eyes and Bottle Blonde Hair :)

Starting Date of Weightloss Journey: ????

Starting Weight: 330

Present Weight: 330

Goal Weight: Would settle for 190 but would like to be smaller.

Biggest hurdle to overcome in weightloss: Getting up my nerve to make an appointment to discuss the surgery and making up my mind to do it.

Following any specific plan: Have consultation appointment with bariatric surgeon on 7/17/03. Hopefully it will not take long to get approved by my insurance and get a surgery date.

What is different this time in your weight loss efforts than in the past: I want to do it for my health rather than because I want to look better. It now hurts me to walk any distance and I use to love to walk. I want to be able to again.

Anything else you would like to share with us: I am a very friendly person and ask a LOT of questions. Hope to get to know some nice people here and hope I don't run anybody off by asking too many questions! LOL!

Jehari
07-19-2003, 04:39 PM

Marital Status: Married 10 happy years

Children/Ages: 8 yr old son, 4 yr old daughter, 30 yr old husband

Pets: None

Interests: Reading, Writing, Movies, Outdoors

Height: 5'5"ish

Eye/Hair Color: Hazel/ Blonde (Clairol #98 LOL)

Start date of Weightloss Journey: The beginning of time

Surgery Date: July 1st, 2003

Start Weight: 256

Current Weight: 231

Goal Weight: 145-150

Biggest Hurdle to overcome in weightloss: Learning new eating habits like eating slower and chewing thoroughly. Also getting in
enough protien, water, and vitamins.

Following specific Plan: WLS/ High protien-Low Carb

What is different this time in your weight loss efforts than in the past: I've had enough dieting. I need to adopt a healthier lifestyle for myself and my children and I felt WLS was the last resort, as well as a good tool to accomplish my goal.

Best wishes to everyone!!
Jen
:wave:

Buffy, the slayer
08-07-2003, 06:06 PM
Geographical location: Iowa

Marital Status: divorced

Children/Ages: 14 yearold son, 24 year old daughter, one son-in-law and two granddaughters and another ont he way.

Pets: 2 Cats, calico and 2 dogs, one older and one a puppy and a pooping machine...

Hobbies/Interests: My family, working on my house, quilting, reading

Eye/Hair Color: Dark Blonde

Starting Date of Weightloss Journey: Just started
Starting Weight: 375

Present Weight: 375
Goal Weight: 150 (or even a size 14)

Biggest hurdle to overcome in weightloss: food, stress
Following any specific plan: ADkins with trying to convince my doctor that WLS is an option.

Anything else you would like to share with us: I just want to be one of the 'normal sized' people. Not too thin, a size 14 would be nice.

hodegard
08-09-2003, 04:15 AM

Marital Status: Married 9 years 9/10/03

Children/Ages: 5 1/2 yr old son (Alex), 4 yr old son (Jack), and 1 1/2 yr old daughter (Grace)

Pets: 13 yr old mini doxie (Molly), 8 yr old pomeranian (Abby), and 2 yr old guinnea pig (Brownie)

Interests: Rubber stamping, scrapbooking, reading

Height: 5'2" or 5'3"

Eye/Hair Color: Gray eyes, brown hair

Start date of Weightloss Journey: pretty much since I was born

Surgery Date: I don't have a date yet, but I do have an appointment with my PCP to get the referral to see the surgeon

Start Weight: 288

Current Weight: 288

Goal Weight: 125-130

Biggest Hurdle to overcome in weightloss: We are always on the go, so I don't exercise good eating habits

Following specific Plan: Nothing yet, but I hope to go the route of WLS

What is different this time in your weight loss efforts than in the past: I've been exercising regularly for the last three months; that was never really something I did before. Also, I'm looking into take more permanent measures, such as WLS.

grammyX5
08-10-2003, 08:14 PM
;) Hi to all I am glad that I found this sight. I am schudled for laproscopic ruex ny gastric by pass on Aug 29 and am very excited. Would like to hear from all how have had the lap as opposed to the open. How long is the recovery? I know that the eating of liquids and soft foods has to last about 6 weeks and that all insides need tender loving care but was wondering how I am going to feel about 2 1/2 weeks after the procedure. I have a trip planned but am willing to forgo this trip depending on how I feel.:?:

First Name Marsha
age 52
height 5'1"
happily married 33 years
2 children both married daughter and a son
5 grand children who are my life
surgery date 8-29-03 can't wait
highest weight 267
present weight 205
goal weight 115

:cp: :lol:

sassytj28
08-12-2003, 10:43 AM
NAME: Tonya
Married:very happy 11 years
Children: girl/9 & son/4
Hobbies:spending time with my family;dancing;an walking
Height: 5'5
Weight:227
Goal Weight: 150-165

I wanted to say to all those who have had WLS..You are very brave....And much congrats on your weight loss.....I am new to this site and have alot to learn...But if there is anything i know, i know diets...I have lost 7lbs. in the last week and wish to stay on this losing train...I hope to make many new friends here...I also know someone who has had this surgery and she has lost 40lbs. the first month....I am thinking about checking into this surgery myself....

thank you for listening:smug:

Tammy9670
08-19-2003, 02:57 PM
Hi All!

I'd like to join in if you don't mind! Here are my stats:

Geographical location: New Jersey

Children/Ages: 3: DD-12 yo, DD-3 months & DS-3 months

Pets: Cat-Angel & Parakeet-D.W.

Hobbies/Interests: Flea Marketing

Eye/Hair Color: Brown/Brown

Starting Date of Weightloss Journey: 7/18/02

Starting Weight: 265

Present Weight: 180

Goal Weight: 130-140

Biggest hurdle to overcome in weightloss: Protein,Water,Exercize,Protein,Water,Exercize

Following any specific plan: Low Carbing

What is different this time in your weight loss efforts than in the past: I'm never gonna gain it back!!!

Anything else you would like to share with us: I probably would have been at my weight loss goal but two months after my open RNY, I became pregnant but not with one...with twins. I don't regret the pregnancy or the twins, especially since my husband and I tried for 5 years to get pregnant. But I'm back on my journey and better than ever!

E-mail: bemyhunny@excite.com

:dizzy: :dizzy:

Wubby
09-08-2003, 02:48 PM

Geographical location: Michigan

Pets: Tia, Tony, Punkin...supremely spoiled cats.

Hobbies/Interests: Cooking, Travel, Reading, Foreign films, celebrity gossip (guilty pleasure)

Eye/Hair Color: Varies/Green

Starting Date of Weightloss Journey: age 5? off and on since kindergarten, at least

Starting Weight: 325 (size 26/28)

Present Weight: 325

Biggest hurdle to overcome in weightloss: Overcoming 'food-as-love'

Following any specific plan: WLS (lap RNY date: Oct 16th 2003)

What is different this time in your weight loss efforts than in the past: This method is far more serious than any other I have tried, but my hope is that I can at last be free from all this extra weight.

Anything else you would like to share with us: I'd really like to be a more active participant in this forum since I've been a lurker for years...

:dizzy: :twirly:

Sharon44
09-26-2003, 10:39 AM
I have decided that regular diets do not work for me.
I have decided to go with gastric bypass laproscopic surgery.
I was glad to see this on the message board.
I have done all of the diets and they work at first, then I gain what I lost plus
Name: Sharon
Marital Status: Married with two children. One daughter will be 11 in November and one son who will be 16 in January
Pets: One Cat, Emily
Hobbies/Interest: love to scrapbook, sew, want to desperately be healthy
Hair Color/Eyes: Varies/blue/grey
Starting date of journey: November 4th
Present Weight: 314
Biggest Hurdle to oversome in weightloss: Holidays with all of the fancy food. Bread-Pizza-cheese
Following any specific plan: Nov 4 2003 laproscopic gastric bypass

hellerd
10-01-2003, 04:18 PM

Marital Status: Married (happily!) for just over 6 months. My husband had gastric bypass, also. :-)

Children/Ages: Two children that I inherited with my marriage-- a 15 year old girl, and 11 year old boy.

Pets: Two cats-- Tobie and BK.

Hobbies/Interests: Music, reading, camping/ hiking, canoeing.

Eye/Hair Color: Hazel (but they change colors and range from gold to green); hair color currently brown but I'm looking to change it quite soon.

Date of Surgery: August 23rd, 2001

Type of Surgery: open Roux en Y gastric bypass

Starting Date of Weightloss Journey: Ever? when I was 12. If you're talking WLS, I started the process in April 2001

Starting Weight: 354

Weight at surgery: 322

Present Weight: 170/ size 12

Goal Weight: First, to get back to my wedding weight of 161; and then to get to 155 (my ultimate goal) and a size 10

Biggest hurdle to overcome in managing after WLS: Dealing with head hunger. Surgery does not take all your cravings away, and at appx. 1.5 years out, the issues do return as you can eat more. It's the same equation-- I still need to diet and exercise to maintain my weight loss.

Anything else you would like to share with us: Glad to have found another resource. :-)

--Heather

Ditzy Blonde
10-29-2003, 10:49 PM

Geographical location: Southern Illinois

Age: 48 (have two years to go then I can start going backwards 49-48-47 ect)

Marital Status: Married for over 28 years!

Children/Ages: 3 Children, 2 girls 27 and 25 and one son 23
one Grandson who we raise, 3ys, 10 months going on 25 years!

Occupation: I Work full time as a Dietary Manager ! No, I do not cook the food, but supervise the cooks

Pets: 1 Shitzu, who refuses to be house broke!

Hobbies/Interests: I like to sit back and watch the home remodeling shows, gamble, and play cards, Euchre ect. and reading romance novels

Eye/Hair Color: strawberry blonde, /blue

Starting Date of Weightloss Journey: I started exploring surgery options back in April of 2003, It's now close to November and I am waiting for approval and a date!

Starting Weight: 285

Present Weight: 285

Goal Weight: 130-160

Biggest hurdle to overcome in weightloss: eating slower, and limiting intake

What is different this time in your weight loss efforts than in the past: This has been approved by my doctor and he has supported me in my quest:dizzy: :dizzy:

smtown
11-15-2003, 02:28 AM
Real name - Karen

Location - California

Age - 47

Marital Status- Divorced for 11 wonderful years

Children- 29 daughter-22 daughter-15 son- 2 grandchildren

Occupation- Case Manager for mentally ill adults

Pets- African Grey Parrot - 2 cats-fish

Hobbies- gardening, fishing, camping.

Height- 5'7"

Brown hair/eyes

Highest Weight 307
Current-289

I haven't had surgery yet, I have approval and orientation and the surgeon appointment are schedulled for Jan/04

keeblercookie
01-23-2004, 09:09 PM
My real name is Julie. I am 28 years old and I live in Akron, Ohio. I am ready to make a change in my life, for the better. I am 5'5 and weigh 264 lbs. My highest weight was 295, that was my last weigh in before I had my son. I lost 29 pounds in about 6 weeks after his birth. I think most of it was water. I made it to 37and a half weeks before having a c-section because my liver enzemyes were out of wack. I had diabetes and preclamsia. I was very lucky my son came out so healthy. Knock on wood!!!!!!!! He is now eight months old and very health. Not even a cold!!!!! I have been married for 2 years and eight months. I recently stopped working because of the stress and how physically demanding my job was. After 8 and a half hours I would come home and be in so much pain from standing and walking all day I could hardly make dinner and take care of my son. I only wanted to come home and sit on the couch and watch tv and of course eat because of all the stress at work. I Have come to a point in my life that I dont know what to do about my life. It really sucks!!! I am seriously considering having wls. If I don't do this I will never be healthy. I am afraid of something going wrong. I want to be around to play with my son and see him grow up to be strong like his father.

dtravler1
01-24-2004, 12:05 PM
:) Hi Julie

i just feel for you as i read your bio. been there done that. and if you deside on wls please look into a good program and doctor. there are alot out there. its more than surgery and a lifestyle change. make sure you are ready and will do all it takes do suceed, not only at the wieght loss but to be healthy. i wish you the very best.

Debbie

wendylouu
02-01-2004, 10:05 AM

Geographical location: Conyers, GA

Marital Status: widowed

Children/Ages: 1 - son -- 7 going on 20

Pets: Sadie Mae (black lab mixture), Sabaka (chocolate lab), Cuddles (calico cat), Lucky Lou (black persian cat), JB (hamster), and a lot of fish in our 55 gallon tank

Hobbies/Interests: Scrapbooking, watching and getting involved with my son playing baseball, trips with friends, hanging out with friends and family, pictures, and oh i could go on and on....

Eye/Hair Color: Blue/Brown

Starting Date of Weightloss Journey: 1/5/2004

Starting Weight:247

Present Weight: 224

Goal Weight:130

Biggest hurdle to overcome in weightloss: Drinking the water and getting in enough protein.

Following any specific plan: WLS. My gastric bypass was done 1/5/2004 Lap. RNY by Dr. Titus Duncan in Atlanta GA.

GreeneyedFaith
02-08-2004, 04:19 AM
This was a mistake...look further..

mistyseas
03-25-2004, 09:28 AM

MARITAL STATUS: Married 13 years
CHILDREN/AGES: 1 Boy, 12 years old
PETS: 1 dog & fish
HEIGHT: 5'7
EYE/HAIR COLOR: green/loreal 4r
HOBBIES/INTERESTS: playing on internet, reading, crafts, cooking/baking, making jewlery, playing with my son.
STARTING WEIGHT: 520
PRESENT WEIGHT: hopefully less than that!

STARTING DATE OF WEIGHTLOSS JOURNEY: After high school, I have dieted my way up the scales. Started this journey for wls this past July after a 2 week stay in the hospital. I finally realized how much trouble I was in, and that I needed help.

ANYTHING ELSE YOU WOULD LIKE TO SHARE: I have just completed all my tests that my surgeon wanted done before scheduling surgery. I have a few follow-up appointments yet to go to, but my biggest hurdle I guess is losing the weight I need to lose before they can do the surgery, need to be way under 500. I am on Atkins, and I am having a hard time with sticking to it, although this seems to be one of the easier ones for me personally to follow, does that make any sense?

I am also glad Jiff told me about this website, it has been very helpful.

shayshay
03-31-2004, 07:24 PM
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

MARITAL STATUS: Married 2 ys, together 6
CHILDREN/AGES: 2 Girls, 5ys and 7mos
PETS: 1 cat and fish
HEIGHT: 5'6
EYE/HAIR COLOR: blue, "fortune cookie" (blondish)
HOBBIES/INTERESTS: playing on internet, cooking/baking, playing with my kids
STARTING WEIGHT: 348 (although I was 2 months preg, so probably closer to 400 by now)
PRESENT WEIGHT: will guess 370

STARTING DATE OF WEIGHTLOSS JOURNEY: I was in third grade, and realized I had a double chin, that started my Dad on making me go to weight watchers with my step mom, which then gave me an awful complex, I have dieted every which way but up :) and have it in my head that I am not as big as I am. I have put on roughly 50 lbs a year for the past 3 years or so , largly in part of moving to WA, I was born and raised in AZ. I miss it. I am a strong emotional eater
ANYTHING ELSE YOU WOULD LIKE TO SHARE: I have finally taken the first of many steps to determining why I eat why I do, and am coming clean with my hubby about everything but the numbers on the scale. I hit rock bottom when during the delivery of my second daughter, my stomach had to be taped back so expose the area that needed to be cut (csection). That was the most horrible experience of my life. After my first daughter was born, I was on bedrest for several months, which caused my stomach to "fall" and being preg again with the extra weight just really made it a lot worse.

You know, it is really an eye opener when you have to write all this stuff, almost like saying it out loud for the first time

TheNewMicki
07-18-2004, 06:51 PM

Geographical location: Arizona

Marital Status: Happy (single)

Children/Ages: 0

Pets: one spoiled kitty, Tipsy who is 13

Hobbies/Interests: right now it's finishing my MBA

Height: 5'7"

Starting Date of Weightloss Journey: 8/1/02

Starting Weight: 326

Present Weight: 207

Goal Weight: 150

Biggest hurdle to overcome in weightloss: not eating and drinking at the same time

Following any specific plan: Weight Watchers now... had Roux en Y GBS on 8/1/02

What is different this time in your weight loss efforts than in the past: It sounds so cliche... but my "head is in the game" this time

Anything else you would like to share with us: I would do this all over again in a New York minute! While WLS is a very personal decision, I would recommend it to the right person. I have NO regrets.

CajunKCM
08-20-2004, 12:11 PM
undefinedundefined
New to the board, would like to say Hello.

I had Gastric Bypass (Roux-en-Y) Surgery on October 20, 2003. My starting weight was 213 at 2 weeks pre-op. Morning of surgery weight was 206. Today is my 10 month anniversary and I am at a happy, healthy 110 lbs!!! From a size 24 womans down to a size 6 petite (and still loosing some!).
Many factors went into my decision for having this surgery and I can't say the road was very easy...there was a time frame that I questioned what I had done...but looking back, it was just a minor pot hole in the road to the healthier me! I wouldn't change my decision....nor would I steer other people away from the surgery. I would help to educate them and have them research (just not over doing it....there are alot of crazy people out there who will post anything...and I had gotten into some of the sites and was scaring myself) and give them my pros/cons and my personal experience. We are all different and we can't compare each others weight loss or their trials & errors, just be supportive. It's a decision that you have to make within yourself for yourself...beleive in your decision & trust in God!
If anyone has any questions, please let me know....I am not an expert! Congratulations to all those who have made the decision to loose weight, no matter what your "road" to weight loss is...but know you will be happier when you reach your destination....any weight loss is a step in the right direction, no matter how you loose it (sensibly!!)....Best Wishes to those about to take on this journey!!

Kelly

p.momma
08-28-2004, 06:34 AM
Geographical location: Houston
Marital Status: married 8+ years
Children/Ages: 3 yo boy, 2 yo girl. They are 13 months apart.
Occupation: SAHM. I lay on the couch all day and the children feed me peeled grapes. :lol:
Pets: No, thanks
Hobbies/Interests: working on potty training right now. For the boy, not for me. ;)
Height: 5' 0"
Eye/Hair Color: blue/ L'Oreal "Light Ash Blonde"
Starting Date of Weightloss Journey: birth
Starting Weight: 205-ish
Present Weight: I don't like scales...
Goal Weight: ...and I don't plan to look anymore. I'm all about the clothes, baby.
Biggest hurdle to overcome since WLS: not eating and drinking at the same time
Following any specific plan: Looking for suggestions. I have trouble getting enough protein and I have a MAJOR sweet tooth. Any ideas?
What is different this time in your weight loss efforts than in the past: Had lap band surgery 7/28/04
Anything else you would like to share with us: Desperately seeking menu ideas, recipes, anything along those lines. Thanks to all for your trememdous support!

GreeneyedFaith
09-01-2004, 02:13 AM
i dont know how many times ...i did this..lol

GreeneyedFaith
09-01-2004, 04:22 AM
K sorry for so many entries in here...I think my puter was not working or freezing up or something and I kept adding thinking my profile wasnt getting in here.
So if the Moderators could delete these old ones that would be great.
Faith

My4Monkeys
09-02-2004, 03:40 PM
NAME: Monica

LOCATION: Washington State right now, but originally from Arkansas

MARITAL STATUS: Married 18 years

CHILDREN: I have 4... 17 year old boy, 13 year old girl, 6 year old boy, 2 1/2 year old girl who is way too sassy for her little self.

PETS: I've got 4 of those too. Reba (a red pomeranian), Coco (a brown and black pomeranian), and Elvis and Priscilla are our Great dane puppies.

OCCUPATION: Registered Nurse specializing in Neonatal Intensive Care.

HEIGHT: 5' 1"

HAIR COLOR: Blonde

EYE COLOR: Blue

PREOP WEIGHT: 230

SURGERY DATE: 08/18/04

TYPE OF WLS: LRNY

PRESENT WEIGHT: 213

GOAL WEIGHT: Right now it's a small goal, to be under 200 before I have to go back to work. I really don't feel like I have much control over it. This is the first time in 3 years that my weight has budged, so I'm happy with my results so far.

Hobbies/Interests I love music. I'm a computer geek, I make meaningless things like signatures and avatars and junk. I do the backgrounds for a couple of disscussion boards. I'm really into photography.

What is different this time in your weight loss efforts than in the past: Well I like that I don't have any choice but to eat right or face the consequences, KWIM. I'm actually seeing results this time, and I'm loving it. I was afraid that I would be one of the unfortunate ones that I wouldn't work for.

Geri0301
11-11-2004, 03:28 PM

Geographical Location: Bronx, NY

Marital Status: Married (4yrs)

Pets: none

Hobbies/Interests: Family (my Husband and I)

Height: 5'2"

Eye/Hair Color: Dark Brown/ dyed auburn

Starting Date of Weightloss Journey: 3/1/04

Starting Weight: 238 was my heaviest (before surgery)

Present Weight: 215.6

Goal Weight: 150 - 160

Biggest hurdle to overcome in weightloss: Cooking something that isn't so bland and getting in those protein shakes (12oz a day)

What is different this time in your weight loss efforts than in the past: This is a must do for me, not for everyone else.

MysTeK
01-20-2005, 06:30 PM

Geographical location: San Diego, CA

Marital Status: Married 8 Long, but wonderful years

Children/Ages: 2 & 8 both boys

Degrees/Certs/Skills: Degree in Home Interior Design
Cert. Medical Assistant
Cert. Phlebotomist
Candle Consultant-for fun!

Pets: a kitty named Charlie'

Hobbies/Interests: singing, scrapbooking, interior design, and my children

Eye/Hair Color: blue/light brown/red

Date of Surgery: January 26, 2005

Starting Date of Weightloss Journey: all began in 1999

Starting Weight: highest weight ever recorded: 260 in October 1999

Weight at surgery: 247

Present Weight: 247

Goal Weight: 140, although realistically id love to be under 200

Biggest hurdle to overcome in managing after WLS: willpower and increasing water intake.

GreeneyedFaith
01-26-2005, 06:14 AM

Geographical location: Saskatchewan

Children/Ages: Boy age 10 and a girl age 7

Pets: Cat - Simon (Himilayan/Siamese/Persian Mix)

Hobbies/Interests: Music, Paint Shop Pro, Movies, Reading, Camping, Swimming, Photography, travelling and computers.

Height: 5'4" and I thought I was 5'6" all along.

Eye/Hair Color: Blonde hair with Green eyes

Starting Date of Weightloss Journey: My first appointment was back in May 2004. I had been waiting for exactly 1 year to see somebody. Possibly this April will be my surgery.

Starting Weight: 330lbs

Present Weight: 323lbs

Goal Weight: 143lbs

Biggest hurdle to overcome in weightloss: Eating Breakfast - 3 Meals a day, Drinking some water, not eating at night and to try not think about eating.

Following any specific plan: WLS & on my own until the surgery Dr. Phil's 7 Keys to Weight Loss Surgery. Also help from a Dietitian.

What is different this time in your weight loss efforts than in the past: I finally got to a point where I am scared to death of dying obese.

Anything else you would like to share with us: I am so looking forward to my final appointment on March 7th where I will learn the date of the actual surgery and what type of surgery I will have. I am so ready to get out of this fat trap or shell. I want to be healthy and thin by next summer.

pumpkinseeds
01-31-2005, 12:51 PM

Geographical location: Maine

Children/Ages: Son-10, Daughter-6 weeks

Pets: Cat named Dipstick!!

Hobbies/Interests: Primitive crafts, swimming, reading, cooking

Eye/Hair Color: Brown/Auburn

Starting Date of Weightloss Journey: 6/18/03

Starting Weight: 398

Present Weight: 265

Goal Weight: 175-185

Biggest hurdle to overcome in weightloss: Exercising!!

Following any specific plan: I love the Atkin's diet!!

What is different this time in your weight loss efforts than in the past: Food no longer controls me...and it is a wonderful feeling!!

Anything else you would like to share with us: After 10 years of being infertile due to morbid obesity....I just gave birth to my baby girl in December!!

Sukisuz
03-05-2005, 10:42 AM
NAME: Susan

MARITAL STATUS: Married

CHILDREN: One son, he's 4.

PETS: 6 dogs.

HEIGHT: 5' 10"

HAIR COLOR: Reddish brown

EYE COLOR: Green

PREOP WEIGHT: 250

SURGERY DATE: 4/21/05

TYPE OF WLS: RNY

PRESENT WEIGHT: 250

GOAL WEIGHT: 150

HOBBIES/INTERESTS: I like to read and watch movies. I love doing crossword puzzles and trying to figure out the jumble in the newspaper. Pretty borning I know. I do love to go camping/fishing. Playing outside with my son and husband. Taking our dogs for a walk or working out in the yard.

dekalbc5
03-14-2005, 01:54 PM
Hello every one. I have been searching the web for online support with WLS. I am new to this site and would like to get some buddies to chat with about this. i am 15 months post op. and down 147lbs, from 345. I would love to hear how some of you are doing. Thanks in advance, Carrie

twinmkr
04-04-2005, 04:27 PM
NAME: Donna

MARITAL STATUS: Single

CHILDREN: Twins 9yrs old Boy/Girl

PETS: 4 cats 3 birds

HEIGHT: 5' 5"

HAIR COLOR: blond,red & brown

PREOP WEIGHT: 336

SURGERY DATE: 4/07/03

TYPE OF WLS: RNY

PRESENT WEIGHT: 186

HOBBIES/INTERESTS: Reading, spending time w/my kids and big handsome boyfriend. :dizzy:

Donna

shearin1
04-07-2005, 12:22 AM
Hi all I am new.

Children: 2 boys ages 16&13

Pets: 2American Bulldogs 1male and 1 female,1cat

Hieght:5'9"

Weight: Post-op 335, current 245, goal 165

Date of surgery: oct.1,2004

WLS has changed my life. I am a much happier person, people say I have a different glow and my self esteem is beginning to come back. It has been gone for a long time. I feel so much better and have so much more energy.All the back and leg pain is gone along with the swollen ankles.I am so thankful to websites like these where people have been where I have been abd know the affects of obesity first hand.Obesity negativaly affects all aspects of our lives whether it be physically,emotionally or psychological. I in a size 18 from a tight 26 and I and so greatful to my surgeon, his staff,my family and friends that have supported me through this ordeal.

jessiekins
05-17-2005, 09:05 PM
NAME: jessica

CHILDREN: two year old boy

HEIGHT: 5' 6"

HAIR COLOR: black

EYE COLOR: brown

PREOP WEIGHT: 320

SURGERY DATE: 20/1/01

TYPE OF WLS: intestinal bypass

PRESENT WEIGHT: 242

GOAL WEIGHT: 200

HOBBIES/INTERESTS: watching tv and movies, going for walks, spending time w/my son and my boyfriend, dancing, cooking, internet junkie

i had wls in 2001 and i lost 100 lbs of my 320. it wasn't a lap band or stomach stapling procedure, it was simply a procedure to shorten my small intestine. the theory was "weight loss by malabsorbtion". it worked for about a year and then it slowed down considerably....well, it stopped actually. i was pretty confrotable at 200 for a while so i saw no reason to fight for more loss.

i gained back 20 lbs with poor eating habits. then i had a child, and gained 40 lbs with the pregnancy and 10 more after. i did atkins last year because i was afraid i'd end up over 300 lbs again. i lost 40lbs and i got a job that totally underminded my low-carb eating lifestyle. (i am a cook and had to taste tons of carb-laden goodies.) in the last 6 months, i gained 10 lbs. so i am back on atkins as of 2 weeks ago. i have already lost 5 lbs. :D my goal is 200 again. i kinda regret getting the surgery sometimes, it has made me sensitive to many foods i love. it was a life saving procedure, yes......but if i had only known about atkins then, maybe i wouldn't have had to go to such lengths.

sherrij
05-27-2005, 01:24 PM
I am also considering the surgery, my doctor actually told me if my last attempt to lose weight did not work he would suggest the surgery. I have read alot and sometimes that is not always a good thing. My biggest fear I guess is being put under, I am terrified. I have probably 100 pounds to lose, this weight thing really consumes my life. I wake up every morning and its the first thing that I think about. I sure would be nice to wake up and say, dammmmmm! I am thin. I am currently doing Atkins, only into a few days, but it is going well.
Cheers
Sherri

Laurmom
05-27-2005, 08:27 PM
NAME:Laurie

MARITAL STATUS: Married

CHILDREN: Nick 12, Brennan 7 and Julian 4

HEIGHT: 5' 7"

HAIR COLOR: reddish/brown with lovely grey underneath ;)

EYE COLOR: hazel

PREOP WEIGHT: 334

SURGERY DATE: 07/03/02

TYPE OF WLS: DS

PRESENT WEIGHT:190

GOAL WEIGHT: 175

HOBBIES/INTERESTS: My kids,very involved in their school, reading, TV, traveling, eating, drinking, church, supporting newbies in their WLS journey

I had my DS in July of '02 with Dr. Anthone at USC. I have lost 144 lbs to date. At one point it was 150, but I'm up a bit. I am currently on Weight Watchers trying to get to my goal. I've never been this close and I am determined to get there!

CowgirlFromHanna
07-24-2005, 11:54 AM
NAME:Christine

MARITAL STATUS: Married to Ken

CRITTERS: Horses - Dan, Buckie and Rocky; Mini-Donkeys - Ted and Julio; Canie - Polly; Felines - Mrs. Kitty, Suzie and Baby

HEIGHT: 5' 2"

HAIR COLOR: reddish/brown

EYE COLOR: hazel

PREOP WEIGHT: 265

SURGERY DATE: 08/09/05

TYPE OF WLS: Open RNY

PRESENT WEIGHT: 16 days to go!

GOAL WEIGHT: 145

HOBBIES/INTERESTS: Horses, Horses and Horses!! Also love reading and counted cross stitching!

NOTE: Hello everyone! I'm new here and looking forward to meeting you!

Stevie Christine
07-25-2005, 04:46 AM

Geographical location: Northern California

Children/Ages: 1 - boy, Age 12

Pets: 13ish Cats. We love them all.

Hobbies/Interests: NFL (Patriots!), music, computers, sci-fi, movies.

Eye/Hair Color: Blue/Brownish Red

Starting Date of Weightloss Journey: Forever, but surgery was 7/20/05.

Starting Weight: 261

Present Weight: 261

Biggest hurdle to overcome in weightloss: Drinking the water.

Following any specific plan: Roux-en-Y Weight Loss Surgery

What is different this time in your weight loss efforts than in the past: I feel like now there is a light at the end of the tunnel.

Anything else you would like to share with us: I want my mom's jaw to drop when she sees me at Christmas.

caligleasons
08-30-2005, 11:28 AM
Okay here I go I hope it is right...

location...San Diego, CA

Married with 4 childrem 11b, 9b, 4g, 2 almost 3 b

animals 1 dog reba 2 cats I think 1 is missing

weight loss journey began sept 2002 after birth of last child.

types of diet tried....almost all. lost all my weight on atkins and gained it back.

type of surgery open ryn june 20, 2005

starting weight 246 day of surgery

current weight 191?

things to overcome....being able to eat and not get nausiated. getting out and doing more activities...I became a hermit.

Looking for people who are in same sittuation in this area.\

Hope all of you are well
Sherri

Valarie250
10-12-2005, 05:48 AM
I am new here, so here is a little about me...

DATE: 11 Oct 2005

USERNAME/REAL NAME: Valarie250/Valarie

BIRTHDAY: 27 Oct 1982

MARITAL STATUS: Married 1 year, 6 months

SPOUSE’S NAME: Ryan

CHILDREN/AGES: N/A

HOBBIES/INTERESTS: Judo! I was an international competitor when I was 16-19, had to take a break when I hurt my knee. When I stopped working out constantly I gained like crazy… turns out I have PCOS! It was really hard to gain so quickly. I went from an athlete on my way to the Olympics to having high cholesterol, BP, resting HR of 89... That's not me! Judo is still my love, and I'm losing so I can start competing in the -171lbs division again.

PETS: Two dogs, Maximus (3yrs), and Otis (8mos)

TOP WEIGHT: 255

CURRENT WEIGHT: 249

GOAL WEIGHT: 170

HEIGHT: 5'4”

HAIR COLOR: Auburn

GEOGRAPHIC LOCATION: Atlanta, GA

WHAT IS YOUR BIGGEST PROBLEM IN WEIGHT LOSS: I produce almost 4X more insulin than I should, even taking Metformin. No matter how hard I work, fat stays! It has taken me all year to lose 6lbs.

WHAT IS DIFFERENT THIS TIME THAT WILL MAKE YOU SUCCESSFUL: I am going to have RNY gastric bypass. I have read several studies that show people with insulin disorders often level out shortly after surgery. Pain is worth it if I make less insulin! After that, I have to just keep doing what I have been! I eat a lot less than I burn- I work out at Curves 3x/wk, lift weights with a trainer 3x/wk, play judo 2x/wk, and go to dance class 1x/wk... I don't lack for workouts! Hopefully after surgery I'll be working out again in under a month... I hate sitting aorund!

janet_921
10-13-2005, 01:11 PM
Hi Everyone...
I had my surgery May 26,2004..at that time I weighted 248, my BMI was 42 and I felt and looked miserable..Today I weigh 180..and thats it..I want to be down to 155 by the first of January..but I have a husband who hates this weight loss and will do anything and everything to stop it..He doesnt care that its for health purposes..he doesnt care that I feel better, he doesnt care that I even look better...he just feels threaten by it..any ideas...??? BTW...would have it done a hundred times over....this was a God send!!!!
Janet

debo71
10-13-2005, 03:05 PM
I am new here

DATE: 13 Oct 2005

USERNAME/REAL NAME: Debo71/Deborah

BIRTHDAY: 08 Oct 1971

MARITAL STATUS: Happily married 12 years

CHILDREN/AGES: Two - 10 and 6

TOP WEIGHT: 304

CURRENT WEIGHT: 296

EYE COLOR: Brown

HAIR COLOR: Dark Brown

GEOGRAPHIC LOCATION: Brandywine, MD

SURGERY DATE: I hope to get scheduled in December or early January.

SURGEY TYPE: Lap RNY.

HOBBIES/INTERESTS: Spending time with my family, bowling, reading, cake decorating and traveling and :) love going to the beach

GOALS: To reach a comfortable weight and to be able to go the the beach and really enjoy that time with my kids and husband and not feel as though other people are looking at me.

PETS: Fish, Hoping to get a dog to walk and for my boys to enjoy. They have been asking for one since our cocker spaniel died at age 10 :( , two years ago.

WEIGHTLOSS JOURNEY BEGAN: Ages ago, and has been an ongoing thing. But the weight gain started increasing after marriage and children.

WHAT IS YOUR BIGGEST PROBLEM IN WEIGHT LOSS: I have terrible migraines and everything hurts (neck, back, hips and feet). Otherwise healthy.

KimC62
10-14-2005, 09:48 PM
My name is Kim,

I am from Connecticut and I had the surgery in Decembert 2004. I have lost 105lbs so far and I feel wonderful.

I have been fighting obesity all my life and it took me along time to make the decision to have the surgery. But I would do it again in a heartbeat.

I hope to have the opportunity to meet some of you on this site.

Start weight was 324lbs
I am now 219lbs
I want to be 150lbs

I have finally succeeded at my weightloss war. I am so happy with myself and I am in a size I have not seen in 20 years. Thank you to my surgeon Dr. Barajas who saved my life

Have a nice weekend all.

Kim Callahan
RNY Laporscopic
12/30/04
;)

LoserLynn
10-17-2005, 02:01 AM
DATE: October 17, 2005

USERNAME/REAL NAME: LoserLynn/ Lynn

BIRTHDAY: November 17, 1982

CHILDREN/AGES: None

TOP WEIGHT: 297

CURRENT WEIGHT: 252

GOAL WEIGHT: 140

EYE COLOR: Brown

HAIR COLOR: Dark Brown

GEOGRAPHIC LOCATION: Jacksonville, FL :sunny:

SURGERY DATE: August 16, 2005

SURGEY TYPE: Lap RNY.

HOBBIES/INTERESTS: Hanging out with friends, arts and crafts, movies, internet, reading

GOALS: Lower my blood pressure (which I have done), get my BMI down to 24 (normal range), and get my weight down to 140. :cp:

PETS: 2 Jack Russell Terriers, and one beta fish.

WEIGHTLOSS JOURNEY BEGAN: Back in 2003, but got nervous and backed out of it. Then I dieted again and lost 30#, but gained it all back so started to look into the surgery again. I wish I would have done it then!

WHAT IS YOUR BIGGEST PROBLEM IN WEIGHT LOSS: :cheer:Keeping motivated to stay away from the wrong kinds of foods, to exercise, drink water, take my vitamins, etc. This is not an easy way out like most people think. You still have to have will power after WLS! I am only 2 months out and am in no way physically hungry for food, but I still have head hunger when I'm bored or upset and I have to use my will power to control it. I also have to exercise almost everyday. So this was no quick fix for me! I never understood why people said that their new pouch is a "tool", but now I get it :idea:!

-Lynn

moodimus
10-23-2005, 03:59 AM
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Geographical location: Orange county, CA

Marital Status: married 18 yrs
Children/Ages: son 16-son 14-daughter 10-son 8-son 6
Pets: foundling cat "fishy"
Hobbies/Interests: gardening---reading---sailing

Eye/Hair Color: brown/hazel
Date of Surgery: mid DEC 2005

Starting Weight: highest weight ever recorded: 313
Present Weight: 289
Goal Weight:160

:dizzy:

JustPeachie
10-26-2005, 09:11 PM

Geographical location: Starke, Florida

Marital Status: Divorced

Children/Ages: Daughter Age 17

Pets: Two Quaker Parronts,, Kiwi and Okra

Hobbies/Interests: Music, Swimming, Painting Ceramics, Playing games online

Eye/Hair Color: Brown/ Light Brown

Date of Surgery: October 3, 2005

Starting Date of Weightloss Journey: Prob since 1987

Starting Weight: 365

Weight at surgery: 360

Present Weight: 330

Goal Weight: I Think I should be about 165

Biggest hurdle to overcome in managing after WLS: The drinking of water. Fluids, hard for me to keep track of . but trying ..

I am excited about this. I am getting a chance to be a new me with eating habits. I know I am having minor complications at the moment. But guarantee I wont weight this much again.. Im gonna take this opportunity to make me a healthier me.. Im not sure If Ill be treated differently or If ill treat people differently.. Ill try not to.. but Im a bit nervouse to go back to work.. as Ill be different looking to them.. its kinda creepy in a way.. and now its even longer to go back to work .. due to the complications... anyway will cross that bridge when it comes..

gbo
10-29-2005, 06:11 PM
gbo315 Real name: Pam

Geographical Location: Alabama

Children: daughter/deceased

Pets: children of the fur, cats
Tiny - orange, striped
Tigger- black, white, light gray & brown striped 23lb.
Tony- Long haired (like Tigger) Lighter orange sort
of striped
Toes- grey tiger cat
Nicki- Calico
Tasha- 18 yrs old little black cat
Sissy - Calico
Sugar- Most black & white
Sheba- Dark calico

Hobbies & Interests/ Crochet, writing, sculpture, creative
anything really, intrested in archeology,flowers life in
general and love people.

Height: 5' 7

Eyes ,hair and skin tone : Brown

Date of Surgery: Waiting

Type of surgery: Roux en-Y

Date of weight loss journey: 1965

Top weight: 475lbs

Current weight: 368lbs

Goal weight 140

Soon a new beginning begins for me, I wish it had been possible oh so many years ago but I now will be able to live my life more fully and do all the things I would have loved to do. Most importantly, I will be set free to be the real Pam God made me to begin with.

minnesotachicksicle
11-07-2005, 12:18 PM

Geographical location: Northern Minnesota

Marital Status: Divorced but head over heels.

Children/Ages: 2 boys, 4 & 6.

Pets: Beddo (dog), Patches (cat), Onyx (cat) & a fish, name to be announced hopefully sometime BEFORE the fish dies of old age.

Hobbies/Interests: Anything crafty really but I'm especially addicted to scrapbooking and knitting.

Eye/Hair Color: Blue/red

Starting Date of Weightloss Journey: 1/16/03

Starting Weight: 311

Present Weight: 185

Goal Weight: 135-140

Biggest hurdle to overcome in weightloss: Water (HATE it!), eating enough protein and exercise.

Following any specific plan: No, but I probably should be.

What is different this time in your weight loss efforts than in the past: You mean other than it actually WORKED???

Anything else you would like to share with us: I'm having a really hard time finding a form of exercise that I can do with extremely limited time and money. Any suggestions or recommendations would be greatly appreciated! Last summer I was able to walk at least 5 miles a day and I got down to 147 lbs. Now that I'm a single mom, I don't have the opportunity to walk like that anymore and the weight is starting to creep back on and I'm in total panic mode. HELP!!

DancingAngel
11-08-2005, 01:43 PM
USERNAME/REAL NAME: DancingAngel/Judy

BIRTHDAY: 11/21/1949

MARITAL STATUS: married 25 yrs in April

CHILDREN/AGES: Boy 21, Girl 18

TOP WEIGHT: 305

CURRENT WEIGHT: 115 this morning

GOAL WEIGHT: I'm happy

HEIGHT: 5'1”

HAIR COLOR: Blonde

GEOGRAPHIC LOCATION: Nebraska

SURGERY DATE: August 25, 1986

SURGERY TYPE: Gastric stapling

HOBBIES/INTERESTS: Reading, music, piano, singing, dancing, acting

GOALS: To maintain a healthy weight and lifestyle, both physically and mentally\

PETS: Meshach the cat

WEIGHTLOSS JOURNEY BEGAN: In the 8th grade

BIGGEST HURDLE: I got pregnant shortly after surgery, had to train myself to eat enough calories to support my growing baby, and after I had her, I kept on eating the way I did when I was pregnant!

FOLLOWING PLAN: Nothing specific, just 1600 calories a day + 1 hour exercise (do DVDs, aerobics, Pilates, dance, step, strength/toning, stability ball)

kfs151
11-08-2005, 02:35 PM
Name: kfs151/Kim

Marital Status: married 16 years

Children/Ages: Girl, 12 and Boy, 8

Occupation: Computer Consultant (gives me lots of time for kids too)

Pets: Norbert, 4 yo Rhodesian Ridgeback & Zelda, 12 yo Dalmatian

Hobbies/Interests: Reading, Anything to do with computers (especially RPG games), Scuba Diving

Height: 5' 3"

Eye/Hair Color: blue eyes and brown hair

Starting date of Weightloss Journey: Been dieting through my late 20's and 30's, waiting for WLS approval

Starting Weight: all time high was 320

Present Weight: 316

Goal Weight: hoping for 150

Anything else you would like to share with us: Long time 3FC lurker, love this site and the volume/quality of the info and support!

swingirl
11-22-2005, 10:08 AM

Geographical location: Ontario

Marital Status: Married 4 1/2 years

Children/Ages: 2 year old daughter

Pets: 1 dog named Max, 1 hamster named Nutmeg

Hobbies/Interests: crosswords, family stuff

Eye/Hair Color: green/ chestnut brown

Starting Date of Weightloss Journey: Sept 2000

Starting Weight: 250 originally (now I am starting again)

Present Weight: 198

Goal Weight: 135

Biggest hurdle to overcome in weightloss: binging

Following any specific plan: WLS & cutting calories

What is different this time in your weight loss efforts than in the past: I will not be a failure at WLS. I won't have people tell me I was stupid to have this done. I will get back to 135 like I was.

Anything else you would like to share with us: I have a goal to get to 186 by Christmas. That will be 20 lbs lost since I started again.

Swingirl (Susan)

indigo child
12-05-2005, 12:28 AM
USERNAME/REAL NAME: Indi

BIRTHDAY: 3/20/63

CHILDREN/AGES:
5 children ~ 22b, 18g, 17b, 15b, 10b

TOP WEIGHT: 245

CURRENT WEIGHT: 146

GOAL WEIGHT: 149

HEIGHT: 5'5"

EYE COLOR: Hazel brown

HAIR COLOR: Brown with blonde highlights

GEOGRAPHIC LOCATION: OH

SURGERY DATE: November 18, 2005

SURGERY TYPE: Lap RNY

HOBBIES/INTERESTS: Yoga, Hand-Drumming, Bowhunting, Archery, Walking, Reading, Gardening

GOALS: To live a healthy, active lifestyle

PETS: Siberian Husky, Vladimir
Cats: Cupcake & Phantom

WEIGHTLOSS JOURNEY BEGAN: Late 20's after the birth of my daughter.

BIGGEST HURDLE: Getting enough veggies due to IBS

FOLLOWING PLAN: Maintenence

http://i4.photobucket.com/albums/y115/indigochild10/Smilies/archery.gif Indi ~ Lap RNY 11.18.05

http://i4.photobucket.com/albums/y115/indigochild10/c36ded97.jpg

invisigoth
12-06-2005, 07:52 PM

Geographical location: California

Marital Status: Single

Pets: None anymore. Cat died recently.

Hobbies/Interests: Movies, TV (I'm so boring), swimming, activism/politics

Height: 6'

Eye/Hair Color: Blue/ Light brown with blonde highlights

Date of Surgery: October 25, 2005

Starting Date of Weightloss Journey: Seems like forever

Starting Weight: 366

Weight at surgery: 368

Present Weight: 337 as of 11/17 (I don't have a scale, so I don't know what I am until my next doctor's visit)

Goal Weight: 165 or so.

Biggest hurdle to overcome in managing after WLS: Drinking water has been hard. Maintaining my energy level after going back to work. I also had a complication and have another surgery two days after my first one. I was in the hospital for a week and then I had a feeding tube and a drain for three weeks.

Anything else you would like to share with us: So far, I'm still happy that I got the surgery. My scars are healing up and my clothes are getting a lot looser. I am determined to make this work.

FluffyGirl79
01-05-2006, 04:18 PM

Geographical location: Portage, IN (soon to be Valparaiso, IN as soon as I get married!)

Marital Status: Getting married April 29, 2006!!!:D

Children/Ages: No kids, getting two stepdaughers soon--ages 11 and 12

Hobbies/Interests: Church activities, watching movies

Height: 5'0"

Eye/Hair Color: Dark brown/Dark brown

Starting Date of Weightloss Journey: 7/18/05

Starting Weight: 265

Present Weight: 190

Goal Weight: 130 ??

Biggest hurdle to overcome in weightloss: I am always able to get in my protein, but it is CONSTANTLY on my mind...I'm constantly thinking about what I've ate and what I need to eat to get in all the protein...like an obsession! :dizzy:

Following any specific plan: Roux-en-Y Gastric Bypass diet...which is basically low carb, no sugar, high protein

What is different this time in your weight loss efforts than in the past: So far this one actually works!

Anything else you would like to share with us: My next goal is to get to 160 by my wedding (April 29, 2006)

quietdreamz
01-08-2006, 08:51 AM
My name is talora. I live in Northern, MN, with my life partner who is now called "The General". I started out at 274 and am down to 140, one year post roux en y surgery. I am an avid gardner, love cooking and am working on a cookbook for me after surgery. I am also an avid reader, and enjoy the computer. Cappie is our gorgeous Golden Retriever and I wish I had his energy. LOL
I am still searching for a juice based protein supplement that sort of has the consistency of kool-aid. Any ideas???
Peace and love,
talora

quietdreamz
01-08-2006, 08:58 AM
I don't know if this will help, but it has worked wonders for me. I buy bottled water in 8 oz bottles. Then I am able to drink the bottled water, and the 8 oz stays cold. I also freeze the bottles and then let them thaw slowly in the fridge so that the water always stays cold. They are the perfect size for 1/2 package of crystal lite on the go too. I hope this helps you as much as this helped me. Good luck!
Peace and love,
talora

quietdreamz
01-08-2006, 09:04 AM

Geographical location: Northern Minnesota where "Baby it's cold outside".

Marital Status: Never Again!!! LOL Do have a life partner

Children/Ages: Son 40 and daughter 37 and 2 granddaughters, 8 and 3

Pets: Golden Retriever, named Cappie

Hobbies/Interests: Gardening, Cooking, Reading, Computers

Eye/Hair Color: Green/Red

Starting Date of Weightloss Journey: 1/31/05

Starting Weight: 274

Present Weight: 140

tigg1974
01-10-2006, 07:22 PM

Geographical location: Ontario, Canada

Marital Status: commonlaw

Children/Ages: fur baby Molson

Pets: Molson border Collie/german shepherd mix)

Hobbies/Interests:

Eye/Hair Color: Brunette/brown

Starting Date of Weightloss Journey: May 25th 2005

Present Weight: 195

Goal Weight: 140

Biggest hurdle to overcome in weightloss: Drinking the water, keeping hydrated and getting in my vitamins

Anything else you would like to share with us: I've been working out at the gym daily...:) :)
E-mail:

LAnneCarrington
01-10-2006, 11:41 PM

Geographical location: PA

Pets: Three domestic shorthair cats, Popeye, Spanky and Tiger

Hobbies/Interests: Reading, theater, classic rock and oldies music, drawing and painting, football (American), wrestling, forensic science/criminal justice, fashion, meeting new people (though I can be a bit shy at first).

Height: 5'4

Eye/Hair Color: Red/Blue

Starting Date of Weightloss Journey: 3/7/04

Starting Weight: 351 (highest weight back in 2004)

Present Weight: it's going to vary as it is dropping fast!

Goal Weight: 145-150

Following any specific plan: Had lap band surgery done 3/22/07

What is different this time in your weight loss efforts than in the past: I feel I am more disciplined and have a "glass half full" attitude.

I was scheduled for Roux-n-Y gastric bypass surgery on 9/28/05, but
I didn't get the gastric bypass done, and here is why.

Everything was going well and I had a mask over my face, being told to breathe deeply. Next thing I knew, I was awake and told the bypass couldn't be done, because not only did I have several intestines twisted...but a rare condition termed a malrotated digestive system was discovered; in layman's terms, everything is on the OPPOSITE of where it should be (example: my appendix was on the left side instead of the right). Actually, it was quite interesting. This is a disorder commonly found in children; only 1 in 5000 adults actually have this---AND they experience no symptoms throughout their lives, as I did. So the surgery I DID receive was to correct this problem as well as remove my appendix as a precaution in the event I ever got appendencitis.

VeggyMom
01-11-2006, 05:27 PM

Geographical location: Florida

Marital Status: Happily Married for 11 years and counting!

Children/Ages: 1 daughter age 9 (almost 10)

Pets: Bolt (Boston Terrier), Ian (tabby cat), Tigger (black cat), Lilly (black cat) and Marty (gerbil)

Hobbies/Interests: Reading, making rosaries, being with my family.

Starting Date of Weightloss Journey: August 2005 (WLS journey start)

Starting Weight: 310

Present Weight: 291

Goal Weight: 150-170 (depends on how I feel and look)

Biggest hurdle to overcome in weightloss: learning to like exercise.

Following any specific plan: Laparoscopic Adjustable Gastric Banding

What is different this time in your weight loss efforts than in the past: I have reached the end of my tolerance for my current life-style.

Anything else you would like to share with us: Not that I can think of.

Loodie
01-21-2006, 04:38 PM
DATE: January 21, 2006

USERNAME/REAL NAME: Loodie/Linda

BIRTHDAY: September 17, 1949

MARITAL STATUS: Married, happily (but my hubby & I live 100 miles apart)

CHILDREN/AGES: 1 Daughter - 27
2 Step-daughters - 22 & 25(married & expecting 1st grandchild)
1 Step-son - 21

TOP WEIGHT: 273

CURRENT WEIGHT: 266

GOAL WEIGHT: 130

HEIGHT: 5'2”

EYE COLOR: Hazel

HAIR COLOR: Whatever color I buy--Currently red-brown (Naturally dk. brown & gray)

GEOGRAPHIC LOCATION: Indianapolis, IN

SURGERY DATE: March 1, 2006

SURGERY TYPE: Lap RNY.

HOBBIES/INTERESTS: Quilting, reading, computer (Used to be walking & biking--maybe again)

GOALS: Lower blood pressure, stop taking meds, walk 2 miles, not have backpain all the time and weigh 150 or less.

PETS: 1 cat (Friend) & 1 dog (Fritz). They are best buddies & love to play together.

WEIGHTLOSS JOURNEY BEGAN: As a child in grade school, but with a planned diet (WW) in 1970(?)

WHAT IS YOUR BIGGEST PROBLEM IN WEIGHT LOSS: Exercise always has been. I am not a "go to the gym" type person & I don't swim. I did love to walk at one time though & ride bike & would like to do that again.

moodimus
02-06-2006, 02:51 AM
Geographical location: Orange county, California
Marital Status: married 18 yrs
Children/Ages: son 16--son 15---daughter 11---son 8--------son 6

Pets:one kitty cat----Fish Taco

Hobbies/Interests: gardening---swimming (will do more after WLS) and sailing

Eye/Hair Color: red---hazel
Date of Surgery: FEB 7, 2006

Starting Weight: highest weight ever recorded: 327

Present Weight: 309

Goal Weight: will be thrilled just to be under 200
Biggest hurdle to overcome in managing after WLS: currently having trouble maintaining exercise and stamina

njmom1975
02-12-2006, 07:25 PM

Geographical location: New Jersey

Children/Ages: Kayley 7 and Zach 3

Pets: Lab and Newfie mix ~Bear

Hobbies/Interests: Reading, spending time with the kids, volunteering at school, reality TV, baking and cooking

Height: 4'11

Eye/Hair Color: Auburn/hazel

Starting Date of Weightloss Journey: 3/14/06

Starting Weight: 237

Present Weight: 237

Goal Weight: 120

Type of Surgery: Gastric Bypass

What is different this time in your weight loss efforts than in the past: I am just praying that it works. I can't live like this anymore.

Anything else you would like to share with us: I am looking forward to meeting a lot of people and hearing your stories. I am also looking for support, since I am becoming very nervous now that the time is fastly approaching.

Rassie
02-25-2006, 02:03 PM

Geographical location: Charleston, SC

Marital Status: single

Children/Ages: none, unless you count my parents, Mom - 85 and Dad - 88

Pets: none at this time...but planning to adopt

Hobbies/Interests: computer-webpublishing, reading, music (singing/handbells) and watching tons and tons of CSI:Vegas

Eye/Hair Color: Brown/Brown with red highlights (chemically treated. ;-)

Starting Date of Weightloss Journey: 6/06/04

Starting Weight: 365

Present Weight: 180

Biggest hurdle to overcome in weightloss: Getting enough protein.

Following any specific plan: No

What is different this time in your weight loss efforts than in the past: The realization that this a life-long change and that I must exercise, exercise, exercise!

Anything else you would like to share with us: I plan to retire in two years. Would love to have my body all set. Indeed I would love to loss the rest of the weight by next fall. Also, I am looking into surgery for excessive skin. Hope to get some good advice here.

Carrotstyx
02-27-2006, 06:18 PM

Geographical location: Keyport, NJ

Marital Status: married

Pets: a big fat, spoiled, calico kitty named Sierra.

Hobbies/Interests: Reading horror novels, camping, I really want to start a nice, big aquarium soon. I love to watch the fish, it's very relaxing.

Height: 5' 9"

Eye/Hair Color: Brown/currently medium brown, but it changes quite often.:D

Starting Date of Weightloss Journey: 10/10/2005

Starting Weight: 378

Present Weight: 281

Goal Weight: 170

Biggest hurdle to overcome in weight loss: Getting my head hunger under control.

Following any specific plan: No

What is different this time in your weight loss efforts than in the past: I have more confidence in myself than ever before, and it helps to make this journey a lot easier.

SkinnieMinnie
03-06-2006, 03:39 PM

Geographical location: Upper Midwest

Marital Status: Engaged

Children/Ages: 1 terrific son who is almost 18

Pets: one dog, 2 cats and a few cows and chickens

Hobbies/Interests: Being a computer geek, fitness fitness fitness!, cooking and baking, traveling, scrapbooking, theater, boating, movies, interior design, going to concerts, just going out and living my life to the fullest with no regrets and enjoying every second of it..life is too short!

Height: 5'2

Eye/Hair Color: Blonde/Bluish-Green

Starting Date of Weightloss Journey: 7/12/01

Starting Weight: 370

Present Weight: 124

Goal Weight: I'm at goal

Biggest hurdle to overcome in weightloss: Making the lifestyle and behavioral changes that comes with being a postop

Following any specific plan: Just a sensible diet..I only count calories

What is different this time in your weight loss efforts than in the past: It forced me to really look at myself, face the issues that caused me to eat and become MO..it has humbled me.

Anything else you would like to share with us: Just do it for YOU..it will only work if you work it..and always remember..it's just a tool..nothing is forever..at this point postop..almost 5 years..it's like I never had surgery (cept for dumping *which is a GOOD thing*)..it makes those changes that are required come in handy..without making those changes..it will be a much harder journey.

Shuston
03-13-2006, 09:54 AM

Geographical location: Minnesota

Marital Status: Happily married

Children/Ages: Brandon 9, Dustin 8, and Jillian 3

Pets: 2 dogs (Buster and Toto and 1 cat (Sammy)

Hobbies/Interests: Reading, internet, baking and cooking

Height: 5'7 '

Eye/Hair Color: Blondish, brownish, reddish..Is that a color? lol And my eyes are brown

Starting Date of Weightloss Journey: 7/03

Starting Weight: 301

Present Weight: 155

Goal Weight: I like where I am at..But would not mind losing a little more...

Biggest hurdle to overcome in weightloss: Getting enough protein!!

What is different this time in your weight loss efforts than in the past: I actually lost the weight and have kept it off!

Anything else you would like to share with us: This surgery has been one of the best choices I have ever made in my life!!!

chaoskitty
03-16-2006, 01:20 PM
Geographical location: Columbus, Ohio

Marital Status: married almost 25 years

Children/Ages: Girl, 21 and Boy, 18

Pets: Walker (doberman), and he has 3 cats, Princess, Bad Kitty, Onyx and one minpin, Dakota

Hobbies/Interests: Computer, losing weight, knitting, American Idol

Eye/Hair Color: Brown, and curly - brown

Starting Date of Weightloss Journey: August 3, 2004 - Gastric Bypass

Starting Weight: 229.9 but my highest weight was 265

Present Weight: 158

Goal Weight: 130

Biggest hurdle to overcome in weightloss: Clothes frustrations (this is a good thing, though), drinking enough water, and surprisingly enough - trying to eat enough. Handling compliments well - I'm not used to it yet.

Following any specific plan: WLS, jenny craig

What is different this time in your weight loss efforts than in the past: the weight is coming off pretty regularly, but never fast enough.

Anything else you would like to share with us: You can still gain weight after weight loss surgery if you are not careful about the calories.

CJsPrincess816
03-21-2006, 11:48 AM

Geographical location: Houston, TX

Marital Status: In a committed relationship - Lesbian

Children/Ages: 3 nephews (8, 6 & 3) - the light of my life!

Pets: not yet

Hobbies/Interests: Shopping, Basketball, 'my boys', researching WLS

Eye/Hair Color: Blonde/Hazel

Starting Date of Weightloss Journey: Birth! Started researching WLS about 3 weeks ago.

Starting Weight: 275

Present Weight: 261

Goal Weight: ?? No idea what weight will look good on me. Will shoot for 150 and go from there.

Biggest hurdle to overcome in weightloss: Not eating everything in sight.

Following any specific plan: Weight Watchers, sort of but wanting WLS.

What is different this time in your weight loss efforts than in the past: No difference yet.

E-mail: angelasjax@aol.com

MermaidInBlack
04-21-2006, 01:02 PM
Oh my goodness... I first posted my "intro" in Summer 2004, and a **** of a lot has changed since then...

Name: Cat

Geographical location: Sacramento, CA

Marital Status: Single, w/BF

Children/Ages: BF's kids, 8, 10, and 13.

Pets: Maine Coon Mix: Robin. Irish Wolfhound: Boru. Chow/Retriever mutt: Ben.

Hobbies/Interests: Singing. Ethnic/ folkloric dance. Tribal (ATS, fusion, etc) bellydance. S.C.A./ Renaissance faires. Reading. Writing (songs, poetry, stories). Driving around No. Cal. The Ocean. All things medieval and renaissance. Mermaids. Ghosts. British, Scots, Irish folklore.

Height: 5'5"

Eye/Hair Color: Dark blue

Starting Date of Weightloss Journey: Since the end of high school..? No, I started the Kaiser WLS program on June 27, 2005.

Starting Weight: 419

Present Weight: 401 (I've gone up and down a few time, was down to 380 and came back up when I had other medical conditions set in).

Goal Weight: Eventually, 165 (though I know I should be like 145 or 150 or something).

Biggest hurdle to overcome in weightloss: Overcoming overeating (a recent development in the last year), getting more active, eating the RIGHT foods, dealing with emotional eating.

Following any specific plan: I'm in the bariatric program at Kaiser South San Francisco, and have been since last June. I was working towards losing my 10% (with their 1200 cal plan), but had some other health and personal issues set in and have had a lot of setbacks. Because of said health issues, they need to get weight off me fast so they can get me in for surgery by the end of summer -- So, I start Optifast next week... whee!

I firmly and truly believe in bariatrics as an option to a life-long battle with weight and all the health issues inherent. I hope to become an inspirational/ motivational speaker after my surgery and am relatively open about my journey with everyone. The Optifast isn't something I'd ever choose as a long-term plan, but for 2 months to get the weight off quickly... I'll deal.

~ Bella

nitamarie
07-23-2006, 09:44 PM
Name: Nita

Geographical location: Northern Minnesota

Marital Status: Divorced but w/live-in BF.

Children/Ages: Mine: 2 boys, 5 & 6, Ours: 1 girl, 11 days old

Occupation: Billing specialist but on maternity leave and looking for something to do from home so I don't have to go back to work.

Pets: Seems to change almost daily but as of today...3 cats, 1 dog, 2 fish, 2 ducks, a frog, & a hermit crab.

Hobbies/Interests: Right now I have no time for hobbies but I like to knit and scrapbook.

Eye/Hair Color: Blue/reddish blonde.

Starting Date of Weightloss Journey: Well, they (the dr's) put me on my first diet (Dexatrim - ADULT dosage! :rolleyes: ) at age 7, but my WLS journey started 1/16/03.

Present Weight: Back to 185 after losing the pregnancy weight, wanting to keep going now to get back to my lowest post-surgery weight of 154 and then on down from there.

Goal Weight: I would like to eventually get to 140.

Biggest hurdle to overcome in weightloss: Emotional eating, drinking while eating, drinking WATER (ugh), getting my protein and exercising.

Following any specific plan: Nope, just wingin' it.

Della1977
07-24-2006, 09:25 AM

Geographical location: Riyadh, Saudi Arabia

Hobbies/Interests: Videogames, Reading, Surfing the net, Shopping shopping shopping!, hanging out with friends

Height: 5'1"

Eye/Hair Color: Dark Brown X2

Starting Date of Weightloss Journey: 4th grade

Highest Weight: 286

Present Weight: 212

Biggest hurdle to overcome in weightloss: At first: Overeating beyong the limits of my new stomach. Now: Exercising.

Type of Surgery: Sleeve gasterectomy

Date of Surgery: March 19, 2006

What is different this time in your weight loss efforts than in the past: Less effort and greater hope.. This time I actually believe I can make it!

SexxieScorpio
08-20-2006, 10:40 PM

Geographical location: Washington, D.C.

Children/Ages: 3 kiddos -ages
-son- 10,
-daughter 6
-2 1/2 (WLS baby)

Occupation:Housewife & Mother!! (Where's my check dammit) :tap

Pets: None, but I love kittens

Hobbies/Interests: Fashion (Hair & Makeup), Interior Decorating, Reading, Writing erotica/poems... Supporting & Counseling, Spelling Bee's (don't ask) and correcting typo's :crackup , games, painting (art) & drawing, chatting, dancing, karaoke, vacations, swimming, cooking & baking, racing (competitions) & researching...

Height: 5'3 1/2"

Eye/Hair Color: Dark brown eyes, natural hair color is brown, but I mainly wear it black!

Starting Date of Weightloss Journey:November 22, 2002 :carrot:

Starting Weight: 303 lbs. :o

Present Weight: 147

Goal Weight: 130 or 140 (I dunno) :?:

Biggest hurdle to overcome in weightloss: Following the rules and seeing how my hubby became somewhat insecure about my wl. Watching others become jealous. What a bummer, but such motivation.

Following any specific plan: 95% of the time, I try to follow the WLS plan, but at times I do my own thang.

What is different this time in ur weight loss efforts than in the past: I lost more :blah: and it's really working for me. I've gained just as I did on a regular diet, but hey... I'm only human and

Anything else u would like to share with us: WLS & Plastic Surgery is the bomb!! I wish more people or at least the ignorant would educate themselves on it. --I met many wonderful people since having the surgery and I'm just glad that I was approved shortly after I started my process back in 2002. (I was approved 1 week after starting the process) Kewl huh :D ~My surgeon was Dr. Terrance Fullum (Washington, D.C.) and the surgery took place at Providence Hospital. Insurance paid for my WLS and it was $30,000

jiffypop
08-21-2006, 10:10 AM
hi sharon - it's nice to meet you. and since you've blocked PMs, i have to tell you that i edited your post for two reasons. first, i enlarged the type [i'm an old lady and i couldn't read it!], and second, i removed your email address. it's not that we discourage communication among members, but rather to help protect YOU from spam. SPAMBOTS are rampant!

as you meet more people around here, it's perfectly OK to exchange email addresses, but that's usually done through the private message [pm] feature. and it really and truly is private - admins have no access to a member's PMs.

so, welcome to our little corner! and i look forward to getting to know you better.

SexxieScorpio
08-25-2006, 10:00 AM
Hiii Jiffy... :hug: That's cool. I'm ok with that. :cool: I'll check the settings to see what's going on there lol. Sorry about the email address. I meant to edit that before hitting the submit button :dizzy:
Btw... what's the best font number to use? I've been using #3.

hi sharon - it's nice to meet you. and since you've blocked PMs, i have to tell you that i edited your post for two reasons. first, i enlarged the type [i'm an old lady and i couldn't read it!], and second, i removed your email address. it's not that we discourage communication among members, but rather to help protect YOU from spam. SPAMBOTS are rampant!

as you meet more people around here, it's perfectly OK to exchange email addresses, but that's usually done through the private message [pm] feature. and it really and truly is private - admins have no access to a member's PMs.

so, welcome to our little corner! and i look forward to getting to know you better.

chika
09-11-2006, 08:47 PM

Geographical location: Placentia, CA (OC Area), Relocating to Houston, TX by the first week of January 2007.

Occupation: Exception Processor (processing home insurance documents for lenders)

Pets: Shih-Tzu (my spoiled little prince Raiyah), 2 betta's (Hummingbird and Rainbow-Brite)

Hobbies/Interests: watching movies, shopping, spending time with hubby and my girlfriends.

Eye/Hair Color: brown/brown (hair color depends on mood sometimes LoL)

Date of Surgery: Septmber 27, 2006

Type of Surgery: gastric bypass

Starting Date of Weightloss Journey: Junior High

Starting Weight: 254

Weight at surgery: 254

Present Weight: 254

Goal Weight: 140 I haven't been below 190 in sooo long, so to be able to reach 140 would totally be a dream come true.

jan0818
10-14-2006, 10:56 AM
I'm jan
I had Lap RNY surgery Sept 18, 2006
I'm 5'8" and my pre-surgery weight was 275
Now I am 4 weeks post op and my weight is 255.
My goal is to get down to where i was at my wedding which is between 160 and 170.
I'm divorced, and have been for 15 years.
I have 3 kids and 2 beautiful grandbabies
I work as a Medical secretary in the hospital here in town.
Don't know what else to say except i'm glad that i did it now. and the only thing i have to try and remember is to drink my water or liquids.
:dizzy:

trish71079
10-16-2006, 11:25 PM
Hello,My name is Trisha.
I am pre op.Still waiting for my doctor to finish paper work , in order to send it to the Insurance company.( My insurance wants a years worth of supervised diet,a letter from my dr.,And I'm begining to wonder if they are going to ask for my 1st born.) LOL!!
I've had my consultation,attended a pre-surgery class,support group,etc.
Now all I have to do is wait for my approval once everything is submitted.
Meanwhile I am stressibg over the fact that I have to loose 15-20lbs before surgery.I'm trying too belive me,it just seems to be a real battle lately.
I have changed my eating habits,its the lack of excersise I think that seems to be the problem.I want to do more,but I'm recovering from knee surgey,just had it done 2 wks ago.But I starting to be able to more and more every day!
If anyone had to loose some weight before they had surgery I would love to hear how you did it!
I need as much help as possible :)

Chickadee
11-04-2006, 04:24 PM
Congrats on your decision Trophy Wife. I love my band (most of the time!) and hope you will too. There are quite a few bandsters around here now, so if you have any questions, ask away.

Good luck!

Chickadee

ravotrina
11-08-2006, 10:56 AM

Geographical location: Chile

Pets: A little brother :LOL

Hobbies/Interests: Computers, reading, science

Height: 5'5

Eye/Hair Color: Blonde/blue

Starting Date of Weightloss Journey: 6/3/03

Starting Weight: 245

Present Weight: 165

Goal Weight: 118

Biggest hurdle to overcome in weightloss: Sticking to the diet after the first year
Following any specific plan: Just the one my doctor give me

What is different this time in your weight loss efforts than in the past: This one works

Anything else you would like to share with us: I was 125 pounds in March this year but i loose control and i gained weight. So don`t trust only in the surgery, is a complete lifechanger experience

nuttynurse1972
11-21-2006, 06:47 AM
real name fiona
geographical location west yorkshire uk
age 34
marital status cohabiting
children/ages 2,1 of each ,dean 12 and shannon 8
occupation carer
pets 1 dog
hobbies/interests nature ,arty crafty things, paranormol
height 5` 10
eye/hair colour hazel/black with red streaks
starting date for weight loss 20/01/2005
starting weight 365 lbs
present weight 170 lbs
target goal 140 lbs
achieved weight loss with gastric by pass roux en y ,im finding really hard to lose the last 30 lbs and im just starting the plastics journey .ideally need full body lift.i still find the head hunger issue a problem

trish71079
11-24-2006, 09:22 PM
Hello,
I'm new to this site hope you dont mind if I introduce my self.
My name is Trisha I'm 27 and live in northern California.
I'm married and have a little girl named Taylor, who is 3 going on 13!
I just had weight loss surgey on monday 11-20,and today is my second day home.So far so good.I have lost quit a bit of weight.I went into the hospital at 277,came home and weighed myself....too much I.V.fluids I weight 289.
Today I weigh 272!! Yeppie!!
I would love to hear from anyone who has had weight loss surgery.I'm looking forward to making new friends,getting some in put,and to hear success stories.So please feel free to send me any advice my way.

pinkbrooklyn
12-12-2006, 02:19 PM

Geographical location: Brooklyn, NY

Marital Status: Married for almost 3 years

Children/Ages: 15 month old son-Daniel

Pets: 1 cat/tiger named White Socks :D

Hobbies/Interests: Researching WLS has become my biggest hobbies.

Height: 5'4" and a half (can't forget about my half!)

Eye/Hair Color: Dk Brown, Dk Brown almost black

Starting Date of Weightloss Journey: I've been doing research for 2+ years...finally found a doctor. :carrot:

Starting Weight: 305

Present Weight: 301

Goal Weight: I have no clue...

Biggest hurdle to overcome in weightloss: Eating to live and not living to eat

Following any specific plan: Trying not to eat everything in sight...more than likely will have a gastric bypass (crossing fingers)

What is different this time in your weight loss efforts than in the past: Well this time I think I'm hitting a "do or die" phase. I'm scared. :(

I have an appt. on Jan. 17th with the psychologist, doctor and nutritionist. We shall see what happens from there. I'm nervous but my weight has hit an all time high and my son needs his mommy.

pinkbrooklyn
12-12-2006, 02:40 PM
Hi Pookie...thanks for the welcome.

Yup, I've been dieting for my entire adult life and with not that much success. :( It has taken me some serious thought and time to get to the point of going to consult with a doctor. Hopefully it all works out for the best.

trish71079
12-12-2006, 09:15 PM
Hello:
I thought I would take a second to introduce myself.I just had Weight loss surgery(rouxen- y) on 11-20-06.My Journey has been pretty good so far,just wishing for some real food,and some veggies.:)

Geographical location: Northern California

Marital Status:Married for 1year

Children/Ages: Taylor Rose-3yrs old

Pets: a cat named jake,and my daughters fish-Dorothy

Hobbies/Interests: Shopping,WLS,going to the movies.& lots more!!

Height: 5'10

Eye/Hair Color: Blue eyes, strawberry blonde hair

Starting Date of Weightloss Journey: had weight loss sugery 11-20-2006

Starting Weight: 288

Present Weight: 260

Biggest hurdle to overcome in weightloss: Head Hunger

Following any specific plan: soft protein,lots of water

What is different this time in your weight loss efforts than in the past:I have more than just myself to think about,and this has to be different! I have no other choice!

N i t a
01-18-2007, 01:03 PM
Marital Status: Divorced but living with bf.
Children/Ages: 3 - 2 boys, 5 & 7 (mine), 1 girl, 6 months (ours)
Pets: 1 VERY large dog (his) and 1 cat (mine).
Hobbies/Interests: Love scrapbooking, knitting, some sewing, reading, music, movies, yada yada yada...lol
Eye/Hair Color: Blue/Reddish blonde
Starting Date of Weightloss Journey: 1/16/03
Present Weight: 187
Biggest hurdle to overcome in weightloss: Water, protein, eating the right amounts, & getting exercise.
Following any specific plan: Not any more, unfortunately.
What is different this time in your weight loss efforts than in the past: It worked.
Anything else you would like to share with us: Right now we live about 3 1/2 hours north of Minneapolis but we're moving down there in June. I'd love to reach my goal weight by then so I'm in shape for all stress and work involved in a long distance move.

E-mail: PM me if you want it. :)

HoosierRain
01-19-2007, 11:47 AM

Geographical location: Indiana

Children/Ages: 2......son 14 and daughter 10

Pets: light gray female tiger striped cat named Chicklet and a HUGE smoke gray male cat named Cosmo.

Hobbies/Interests: Scrapbooking, reading, Nascar, cross stitch, writing, travel, movies, music

Eye/Hair Color: Auburn/Hazel

Starting Date of Weightloss Journey: August 12, 2004

Starting Weight: 339

Present Weight: 215

Goal Weight: approx. 175

What is different this time in your weight loss efforts than in the past: It's working.

Anything else you would like to share with us: I've hit a plateau and I'm trying to overcome it.

magnoliamouth
01-25-2007, 06:46 PM

Children/Ages: Grown and on their own

Pets: 2 chihuahua's, 1 pomparian, 2 cats, 1 african gray bird

Hobbies/Interests: quilting, reading, doing reborn dolls,

Eye/Hair Color: brown

Starting Date of Weightloss Journey: 10 Jan 07

Starting Weight: 225

Goal Weight: 128-135

Biggest hurdle to overcome in weightloss: Getting more exercise, joining a gym, facing it the rest of my life

Following any specific plan: for food the one my doctor gave me, to start walking at week 3 for 10 to 15 minutes, then move it up to 30 minutes, then at 6 weeks join a gym. And go at least 3 times a week

What is different this time in your weight loss efforts than in the past: I could diet before but always gained it back, then I found out I had Interstitial Cystitis (IC), and it turned not only my food upside down but me. Many foods that every one eats every day I can no longer eat.

Anything else you would like to share with us: Before findng out I had IC I had once again successfully dieted my way to a decent weight, then the IC hit and I had to change my whole life style. I gained very quickly and it scared me because diabetes is very strong in my family. I'd also had to quit smoking and the weight was just jumping on me. NOw that I've had the surgery I feel emotionally more healty and I am commited to being more healthy.

LadySteph
01-27-2007, 01:57 PM

Geographical location: VA

Children/Ages: 4 children. 2 girls (11,9) 2 boys (7,4)

Pets: German Shepherd, Mia

Hobbies/Interests: homeschool mom, crafts, hikinging, camping, meeting new people

Height: 6'0"

Eye/Hair Color: Red/ Hazel

Starting Date of Weightloss Journey: Sugery 04/12/06

Starting Weight: 421

Present Weight: 260

Goal Weight: 190

Biggest hurdle to overcome in weightloss: Drinking the water and getting in enough protein. Taking all my vitamins.

Following any specific plan: Just sticking with my diet to keep healthy.

Anything else you would like to share with us: I have had a hard experience, I have a Vitamin B 1 def. And Have to take Warafin (blood thinners) bc they found a clot in November. So far I am 50 lbs to go until my goal.

Stephanie

melvmom
03-10-2007, 04:08 PM

Geographical Location: Las Vegas, NV

Marital Status: Married 33 years

Children/Ages: 4 sons, 31, 29, 26, 21, 3 beautiful daughter-in-laws and 7 ADORABLE grandchildren, 3 boys 7, 6, 4 and 3 girls, 22 mo, 19 mo, 18 mo, 6 mo.

Pets: 1 dog Mini-Pomeranian "Sassy", 5 cats, Bigfoot, Freeway, Jerusha, Pumpkin & Daisy

Hobbies/Interests: Reading, scrapbooking, family history

Eye/Hair Color: Green eyes, brown hair

Starting Date of Weight Loss Journey: I am still pre-surgery, my first appointment with the insurance coordiator was 3-1-07; it seems as if there will be many hoops to jump through to get qualified but I'm hoping surgery can take place sometime this summer.

Starting/Current Weight: 290

Biggest Hurdle to overcome in weight loss: Right now I feel like it is just getting the approval. I'm sure there will be issues after surgery, but I think I will be well prepared and ready to face any and all challenges. I've been researching this for 2 years and have decided it is the tool I need to finally succeed.

Following any specific plan: My "homework"/goal this month is to try to work in more exercise, begin teaching myself to chew my food throughly and eat slowly, and to keep a food journal. I also have to complete a worksheet about food triggers.

What is different this time in your weight loss efforts than in the past: Hopefully this will be the last time I have to "go on a diet" because I will have the tools needed to really change my eating habits and succeed at keeping the weight off.

Anything else you would like to share with us: I'm really looking forward to getting to know you all and hearing your stories, questions, etc. I hope I will be able to add something positive to the group and help someone else out as well.

original_serendipity
03-17-2007, 02:36 AM

Marital Status: Married and loving it

Children/Ages: 1 son, 11 in August

Pets: 5 snakes, 2 lizards and 2 cats (too many names, lol)

Hobbies/Interests: Gardening, cooking and being an organizational freak

Eye/Hair Color: Auburn/Gray-Green

Starting Date of Weightloss Journey: Ummmm, birth?

Starting Weight: 293

Present Weight: 168

Goal Weight: 140-ish

Biggest hurdle to overcome in weightloss: Fighting an auto-immune disorder that sucks the life out of it's sufferers

Following any specific plan: Roux-En-Y bypass

What is different this time in your weight loss efforts than in the past: So this is what life is like when someone said "It isn't supposed to be this hard".

Anything else you would like to share with us: My ultimate goal is to be a stable size 11 or 12.

:carrot:

Catalyst
03-22-2007, 02:57 AM

Geographical location: Ohio

Marital Status: Single!

Children/Ages: None.

Pets: A calico cat named Savannah (a.k.a. FraidyCat), a white cat named Sasha (a.k.a. White Demon and Demon), a tabby cat named Sugar (a.k.a. SkinnyButt, Bones and Boney), a fluffy siamese kitten named Sadie (a.k.a. Baby, Sadie Girl and Baby Girl) and a medium sized aquatic turtle named Sonnie.

Hobbies/Interests: I love the internet, roleplaying and writing and stuff.

Eye/Hair Color: Brown eyes, Reddish Brown hair

Starting Date of Weightloss Journey: Awhile. I've not yet scheduled surgery yet, but it's going to be soon!

Starting Weight: 380

Present Weight: ^^

Goal Weight: 190

Biggest hurdle to overcome in weightloss: Food.

Following any specific plan: Not yet.

What is different this time in your weight loss efforts than in the past: I'm serious about having surgery and I know the implications. All of the risks are increasingly real to me and I'm willing to take them on.

Anything else you would like to share with us: I probably seem young to a lot of you, but I've struggled with weight all my life. And besides, I'd like to think I'm a mature person. :)

annie175
03-30-2007, 08:04 AM

Children/Ages: Samantha 21; Jake 18

Pets: Jack Russell-Isabella Roxanne (Bella); Cat-Leila; Snake-MJ

Hobbies/Interests: gardening, movies, reading, walking

Eye/Hair Color: Brown/Blonde

Starting Date of Weightloss Journey: Sugery 2/12/07

Starting Weight: 303

Present Weight: 252

Goal Weight: 165

Biggest hurdle to overcome in weightloss: Drinking the water and getting in enough protein. Taking all my vitamins.

Following any specific plan: WLS rules and regulations-haha

Anything else you would like to share with us: I have more energy and am happier.

tamram
04-17-2007, 06:16 AM
Who did your surgery?

Yorkiemom73
05-20-2007, 06:05 PM

Geographical location: New York

Marital Status: Single with Pets

Pets: 2 Yorkies: Jonah and Angel Mia

Hobbies/Interests: Reading, working out, Ebay

Height: 5'7

Eye/Hair Color: Dark brown/brown

Starting Date of Weightloss Journey: Surgery: 4/24/06

Starting Weight: 321

Present Weight: 153.4

Biggest hurdle to overcome in weightloss: Getting in the protein.

Following any specific plan: WLS, South Beach, Weight Watchers, Vegetarian

What is different this time in your weight loss efforts than in the past: The gastric bypass was the tool that I needed to get started and now I feel like nothing can stop me from having the life that I desire and dream of.

Anything else you would like to share with us: My journey has been interesting and hardly difficult. I'm glad that I had the surgery and feel like my life will be so different than what it was going to be. I feel like nothing can stop me. I live by the motto: Go Confidently in the direction of your dreams! Live the life you've imagined.__________________

goddess819
06-15-2007, 05:42 AM

Marital Status: Happy and married

Children/Ages: 1 - female...10.5 months old

Pets: Deogie & Rosie (dogs), Trixie, Oreo & Tony (cats) & 2 fish

Hobbies/Interests: crochet

Eye/Hair Color: Green /Red

Starting Date of Weightloss Journey: long time ago...but had WLS (RNY) on 8/3/04

Starting Weight: 254

Present Weight: 147

Biggest hurdle to overcome in weightloss: not eating all those carbs!!

Anything else you would like to share with us: WLS allowed me to get pregnant after 8 years of failed fertility treatments due to PCOS. I also speak for my surgeon as a post op and have been doing it for 2.5 years now...

Kristy

SD Chick
07-07-2007, 07:18 PM
Geographical location: South Dakota
Marital Status:Married 44- same guy :)
Children/Ages: all grown - 43 - 41- and my baby is 37
Pets: a dog named Rascal
Hobbies/Interests: traveling -
Height: 5'2

Eye/Hair Color: hazel eyes - silver white hair
Starting Date of Weightloss Journey: am having lap band on July 23, 2007Starting Weight: 255
Present Weight: 255
Goal Weight: 170 ( too early to think about that :))
Biggest hurdle to overcome in weightloss: don't know yet
Following any specific plan: Opti Fast starting on the 10th (birthday the 9th)

What is different this time in your weight loss efforts than in the past: This is a semi-permanent thing and I cannot fail!!!

mom2fivesweeties
08-06-2007, 07:12 PM

Geographical location: Illinois

Marital Status: Married for 30 years on Sept. 10 of this year.

Children/Ages: Michael - 21, Abbi - 11, Chelsi - 11, AJ - 10, Christopher - 9

Pets: Frosty (big, beautiful mixed breed - mostly golden retriever), Lady (medium sized mixed breed with beagle in her - she HOWLS!), and Taz (a VERY spoiled Pug) - Frosty and Lady are 11 1/2 just like my girls and Taz will be 6 in September. They are my babies!

Hobbies/Interests: Kids, Animals, flowers, reading,

Eye/Hair Color: Green/Brunette/Gray

Starting Date of Weightloss Journey: Just starting for the millionth time!

Starting Weight: Somewhere around 320

Present Weight: Somewhere around 320

Goal Weight: 160 - 170

Biggest hurdle to overcome in weightloss: Take one day at a time - stop being my own worst enemy.

Following any specific plan: Just started the paperwork for the WLS.

What is different this time in your weight loss efforts than in the past: It's my last chance - I'm too old to be this heavy - I want to live to see my kids' kids and travel with my hubby when he retired.

Anything else you would like to share with us: I'm excited to finally be starting this journey - been considering WLS for at least a year. My hubby initially was really scared for me to have it - he now realizes it will be worse if I DON'T have it.

I'm glad to be with all of you! :hug:

Lori

Being Simply Me
10-09-2007, 01:56 PM
NAME: Sandy

MARITAL STATUS:Married

CHILDREN: None

PETS: 6 yr old calico cat, 5yr old Shih Tzu mix

HEIGHT: 5'5

PREOP WEIGHT: 282

SURGERY DATE: 10/15/07

TYPE OF WLS: Gastric Bypass

PRESENT WEIGHT: 282

FluffyGirl79
12-12-2007, 11:31 AM

Geographical location: Valparaiso, IN

Marital Status: Happily married to Randy :)

Children/Ages: Two step-daughters...Jessica (14) and Jamie (13)

Pets: an outside cat named Oliver (he's a Russian Blue)

Hobbies/Interests: photography and scrapbooking

Eye/Hair Color: brown/dark brown

Date of Surgery: July 18, 2005

Starting Date of Weightloss Journey: day of surgery

Starting Weight: highest weight ever recorded: 270 right before my surgery

Weight at surgery: 265

Present Weight: 145-150 (depends on which day of the month it is LOL)

Goal Weight: Currently I want to be at 120, but I will stop when I feel comfortable at my weight.

Biggest hurdle to overcome in managing after WLS: Food is not an issue. I haven't touched a piece of chocolate cake or a candy bar, etc. since before surgery. My biggest hurdle has been exercising. I love to do it, but it's hard to find the time. I have to MAKE the time.

missangelaks
12-12-2007, 11:43 PM

Geographical location: Idaho

Children/Ages: 1 - girl - 18 and married in Nov. to her DH that is entering the marines; no grandkids

Pets: Rook, my 6 year old shelty...ladybug (AKA girlie or girliebug), my 4 year old miniture pincher and... Ginny who is 1 and a half, also a min pin but is actually my brother's in the paperwork, nights and weekends. LOL I care it her during the day.

Hobbies/Interests: Art (myspace.com/paintingsbyaks), music (myspace.com/silvansongs)

Height: 5'9.5"

Eye/Hair Color: hazel green and dark brown

Starting Date of Weightloss Journey: when I was 16....in 1982 LOL but for surgery...6-04

Starting Weight: 326

Present Weight: 299

Goal Weight: 170-180

Biggest hurdle to overcome in weightloss: fighting with ins. and getting the surgery actually done

What is different this time in your weight loss efforts than in the past: having a physiological tool to help me stay on track.

Anything else you would like to share with us: I hope to use the patience and determination I had to have to actually get this surgery to be able to make it work for me!

GrammyRN
12-14-2007, 09:45 PM

Geographical location: Texas

Marital Status: married 34+ years

Children/Ages: 3 grown - 3 granddaughters

Pets: Buster (wirehair), Oreo (1/2 Yorkie 1/2 Shih Tzu), Sport (Yorkie), Roxie (mini-dach). Roxie is 18 - the others are <2 years - all more or less "rescues"

Hobbies/Interests: reading, music, Red Hatters, crafts, retired DH

Height: 5'1" (I've shrunk!)

Eye/Hair Color: blue/grey, dark brown with grey

Starting Date of Weightloss Journey: This time - just recently really serious

Starting Weight: 250 (2 yrs ago); lost to 183 after surgery, gaining it back

Present Weight: 210

Goal Weight: around 130

Biggest hurdle to overcome in weightloss: making the decision to have LB surgery and making this permanent life change

Following any specific plan: WLS (probably in February '08)

What is different this time in your weight loss efforts than in the past: finally realized I can't do it alone on a regular "diet" - need some serious help before it's too late to benefit

Anything else you would like to share with us: just want to regain at least part of my health so I can live pain-free (relatively speaking). My DH had RNY 2 years ago and lost 180 lbs - he's my greatest support and cheerleader

tabatha9748
12-25-2007, 11:02 PM

Geographical location: Kentucky

Children/Ages: 1 - boy- 7 years old

Pets: Bebe- boston terrier, Gizmo- miniature pekingese, lots of fish, a tarantula, a hamster who is MIA right now, a coon hound, a bird dog, three calves and a rooster

Hobbies/Interests: reading, swimming, exercising

Height: 5'6

Eye/Hair Color: brown and brown

Starting Date of Weightloss Journey: August 2005

Starting Weight: 332

Present Weight: 140

Biggest hurdle to overcome in weightloss: motivation and avoiding things I am not supposed to eat

Following any specific plan: spark people diet

What is different this time in your weight loss efforts than in the past: having the surgery as a tool to help me

Anything else you would like to share with us: This isnt the easy way out no matter what people may think. It takes a lot of motivation and strength to do this and is by no means easy

quilting lady
01-05-2008, 06:47 PM

Geographical location: West Michigan

Children/Ages: 2 sons age 17 and 20

Pets: Dusty a blind/deaf old loveable ****zu and Mena (short for Willamena-the daughter my husband-William never had) a goofy black lab

Hobbies/Interests: Quilting, gardening, fishing

Eye/Hair Color: Graying/hazel

Starting Date of Weightloss Journey:Hoping to have surgery 2/2008

Starting Weight: 240

Present Weight: 240

Goal Weight: 150s

Biggest hurdle to overcome in weightloss: emotional eating

What is different this time in your weight loss efforts than in the past: This works!

Anything else you would like to share with us: I am so blessed to have a great
support system of family and friends.

merryterry
01-11-2008, 12:03 AM

Geographical location: Arizona, just outside of Phoenix

Marital Status:married f9r 25 years! I cann't believe it

Children/Ages: duaghter-24, son-21

Pets: The laziest cat in the world and a goldfish who has more personality than our cat!

Hobbies/Interests: reading, crafts, painting, home makeover

Eye/Hair Color: graying brown/brown hazelish

Starting Date of Weightloss Journey: since the dawn of time

Starting Weight: well, to make it easy lets just say way too much

Present Weight: 329 I've gained back most of the 35-40 lbs I lost a few years ago

Goal Weight: around 170

Biggest hurdle to overcome in weightloss: emotional eating and keeping up with the exercise

Following any specific plan: WLS (probably in February '08)

What is different this time in your weight loss efforts than in the past: I've accepted I'm fat not just because I eat too much which I sometimes do or I'm lazy which i can be but because there are some tall, thin people walking around out there with my metabolism!

Anything else you would like to share with us: I'm just starting this whole process and have a long way to go!

whgrn
02-03-2008, 09:17 PM

Geographical location: Central NJ

Marital Status: Blissfully Divorced

Children/Ages: DD(12) and DS(11)

Pets: Duke (12 pound Bichon/Toy Poodle mix)

Hobbies/Interests: reading, theater, learning how to eat dairy/egg/wheat free, travel

Eye/Hair Color: Hazel/Blonde

Starting Date of Weightloss Journey: long time ago...but had WLS (RNY) on 5/14/01

Starting Weight: 486

Present Weight: 272.8

Goal Weight: 210

Biggest hurdle to overcome in weightloss: figuring out what I CAN eat, within the parameters of the food plan!

Following any specific plan: from my nutritionist

What is different this time in your weight loss efforts than in the past: It's for ME, with a particular non-weight goal in mind (my trip to Scotland in July 08)

Anything else you would like to share with us: I have had 6 abdominal hernias post op. I am VERY anemic. I have several nutritional deficiencies (which I am working on). And I would STILL have WLS, even knowing what I'd go through. WLS saved my life. Now it's up to me!!

mistymed
02-04-2008, 05:08 PM
name- misty

location-zachary, la near baton rouge

age- the big 30

marital status- married 6 years on feb 16 together 16 years on feb 18

children/age- olivia m'lynn is 4 and ella claire is 5 months

occupation-i am a dme manager (medical eqiupment like beds, walkers, 02)

pets- none, we dont have a fence

height- i am 5'7 or so

starting date-i had lap band 01/28/2008

starting weight-that am i was 368 highest 379

present weight-dont know have not been back to dr

i hope to gain lots from you girls and guys to help me go to disney world with my husband and my girls. ha ha

BreakinOut
02-08-2008, 04:19 PM

Geographical location: San Francisco Bay Area

Marital Status: Blissfully Married, no Children, no Pets

Hobbies/Interests: reading, making jewelry, anything having to do with fiber (knitting, weaving, sewing) Swimming

Eye/Hair Color: Blue/Dark Blonde veering to Brown

Starting Date of Weightloss Journey: High School (think 70s). My first appt with a surgeon is Mar 4

Starting Weight: 267

Present Weight: 242.5

Biggest hurdle to overcome in weightloss: exercise and nervousness about surgery

Following any specific plan: watching calories and percentages of nutrients

What is different this time in your weight loss efforts than in the past: It's really about my health. I don't want to go into my 50s with high blood pressure, cholesterol, sleep apnea and pre-diabetes indicators

Anything else you would like to share with us: I really want to do somethings that I no longer can, like horseback riding and backpacking. I'm nervous about whether surgery is the right step and can use all the help and support you can give. :-)

lunamaam
03-25-2008, 08:13 PM
Geographical location: FL
Pets: 2 cats, 1 dog
Hobbies/Interests: medicine, coloring, chemistry, biology
Eye/Hair Color: blue/brown
Starting Date of Weightloss Journey: 1.1.06
Starting Weight: 262
Present Weight: 176
Biggest hurdle to overcome in weightloss: Eating the bad stuff, getting enough nutrients, exercising
Following any specific plan: lapband (6.18.07)
What is different this time in your weight loss efforts than in the past: This is fool-proof and it is time for me to be healthy and ME

Anything else you would like to share with us: 3FC is an amazing forum with a lot of information and motivation! Getting banded was one of the best things I've done in my short life.

JROENIGK
04-01-2008, 11:24 AM
Hi, I am in my 5 month of supervised dieting before surgery. I have been a yoyo dieter all my life. 2 years ago i lost 100 pounds for my wedding. 2 years later I have gained 59 pounds back. It has been higher. I am very confident in my surgeon, but the nutritionist don't really thrill me. Not that they aren't nice people I guess they just don't seem to know how to encourage people. Last month I went to the meeting and I had gained 14 pounds. My husband and I went to California in our 18 wheeler for 2 weeks. I said I was going to watch and started out good but it went all down hill. Anyhow I gained the 14 pounds. She was all over me about some insurance will not approve of the surgery if you have a weight gain. So I tried really hard and I lost 13 pounds at the weigh in last night. Now, I didn't want a gold star on my head or anything, but a hey that was really good job, would have been nice. She said nothing. I am .6 pounds from my starting weight. So I needed to find a support group that understands and is in my corner because right now I feel like I am out in left field by myself. I have heard wonderful things about this group so I am hoping it words well.

nanj
04-01-2008, 12:22 PM
This is one smart group and I have learned so much from them and their support is wonderful. Keep us informed and great job on taking off the put-on pounds. I'm not crazy about the life-long nutritional plan given by my clinic, but the NUT is really nice, but not too involved.

Strparobics Wannabe
06-23-2008, 09:35 PM
Kimberly
Norfolk, VA relocating to Monterey, CA
Roux en Y GBPS 6/8/06
Pre-op 246
Post op 112
5'6" tall
2 kids & a husband, no pets, I work full time as a nursing consultant

UNURY! UNJURY! UNKURY!
Evn then the new low-carb slim fast aren't bad. AND EXERCIZE!

Strparobics Wannabe
06-23-2008, 09:51 PM

Geographical location: Virginia now, soon to be Cali

Children/Ages: Arabella, nearly 6, Kerrigan 4 1/2

Hobbies/Interests: Running, Crocheting/Knitting & Reading

Height: 5'

Eye/Hair Color: Green

Starting Date of Weightloss Journey: Surgery was 7/08/06

Starting Weight: 244

Present Weight: 122

Goal Weight: 104

Biggest hurdle to overcome in weightloss: I have 2 small children who take after their dad, some junk does need to be in the house. Luckily, I buy thing I would never possibly eat!

Following any specific plan: Not anymore, just count my protein & carbs

Ggoing by your preset format
What is different this time in your weight loss efforts than in the past: It really works, I had roux en y, you have to be sadisitic to mess w/ that!

Anything else you would like to share with us: My family, especially my husband loves that I've had to surgery however now my Mom & husband are pressuring me to get a tummy tuck (the mucles are tight, the skin is loose & pumping some juice into my boobs!)

tropigal
06-28-2008, 03:03 PM
Read name: Pamela

marital status: married

children: no (see pets!)

pets: Zack a goldendoodle and Lola a rottweiler

Hhobbies: fiber arts

height: 5'7"

eye color: blue

surgery date: 9/13/2007

starting weight: 271

current weight: 179

type: vertical sleeve gastrectomy VSG

following specific plan: no, eat protein first then avoid sugars and high fat

what is different about this time: I'm successful!

hotfoot
07-25-2008, 07:25 AM
Read name: Kristi

marital status: married

children: do pets count? lol

pets:Ursa--Stafforshire Terrier cross, Sarge--Jack Russell, Squeaker--domestic shorthair tabby (aka ally cat), Grommet--domestic semi-long hair tortoiseshell

Hobbies: hmm--perhaps you should just check out my profile......bit long for here!

height: 5'7"/173cms

eye color: brown

surgery date: 19 May 2008

starting weight: 281.60lbs/128kgs

current weight: 264lbs/120kgs

type: adjustable lap band

following specific plan: plan ahead, portion control, chew chew chew, no drink during meal, water water water the rest of the time. don't forget to walk!

what is different about this time: I'm unlikely to sabotage myself, because I can't. I love having no choice!

MelJoi
07-28-2008, 07:36 PM

Geographical location: Richmond, Va.

Marital Status: Happily Single

Children/Ages: Madilyn, 2 1/2

Pets: 1 happy little mutt, Frodo

Hobbies/Interests: Reading, Spending time with family and friends, watching movies

Height: 6'

Eye/Hair Color: Blue/Brown

Starting Date of Weightloss Journey: March 2008. According to my insurance I have to have 6 months of diet and exercise while under the care of a doctor. My 6 months are up in September and I am looking forward to it.

Starting Weight: My weight at the start of the 6 months was 410

Present Weight: 397

Goal Weight: 160

Biggest hurdle to overcome in weightloss: the 6 months lol

Following any specific plan: Right now just watching calories and carbs and walking the treadmill

Anything else you would like to share with us: I'm looking forward to the surgery and losing the weight, but kinda worried about after i lose the weight.

dreamcatchers
08-05-2008, 07:14 PM
StrpaerobicsWannabe,
You just had your surgery last month and are down to 122lbs! Before surgery you were 244?
I am considering WLS also. My initial info visit is this month. Thinking RNY. Lapband does not so so good for me. How have you been feeling?? Eating with any problems?
I am 42 years old with a baggage of health issues and bigger then I was when I gave birth to my kids. I am so ready to change it all!
Lisa

jiffypop
08-06-2008, 01:29 PM
pssst dreamcatchers - wannabee's surgery was in 2006! she's exactly 2 years out. breathe, darlin!!!! after you put your glasses back on!! :lol:;):dizzy:

dreamcatchers
08-06-2008, 09:40 PM
jiffypop,
I was thinking that was pretty unrealistic! DUH! Ok, now I have my second set of eyes on!
Lisa

Cherylk285
09-15-2008, 12:33 PM

Geographical location: NYC, NY

Marital Status: In Love (not married, just dating) :hug:

Pets: 2 month old Yellow Lab named Daisy.

Hobbies/Interests: Reading, watching movies

Eye/Hair Color: Blue / Blonde

Starting Date of Weightloss Journey: 5/15/08

Starting Weight: 376 yikes!

What is different this time in your weight loss efforts than in the past: Im actually losing weight!!

Anything else you would like to share with us: My personal goal is to lose 200lbs. I have never seen myself skinny so I am really curious what I will look like. Actually kinda scares me!

fnorgby
09-22-2008, 01:06 PM

Geographical location: Oakland, CA

Pets: 2 cats, Dot and Dash

Hobbies/Interests: gadgets, computers, youtube

Height: 6'1"

Eye/Hair Color: brn/brn

Starting Date of Weightloss Journey: 9/15/08

Starting Weight: 428

Present Weight: 410

Goal Weight: 265

What is different this time in your weight loss efforts than in the past: I'm married -- my wife is very supportive and encouraging. Oh, that and the RNY.

Anything else you would like to share with us: Like the previous poster -- I've never been anything other than fat. I can't imagine what the skinny me looks like but I can't wait to find out.

mellkirk
10-07-2008, 11:06 AM

Geographical location: Agawam, Massachusetts (Suburb of Springfield)

Marital Status: Married 16 years to Bestfriend Bob

Children/Ages: 2 Step : Jay -26, Matt - 22, and my miracle child thru IVF -Paul almost 9

Pets: 9 Year Himilayan Cat named Mosa

Hobbies/Interests: Scrapbooking, Digital Photograhy, Hanging with Friends, Movies, Playing on the Internet

Eye/Hair Color: Hazel / Bottle Dirty Blonde

Starting Date of Weightloss Journey: Ongoing for last 20 Years with no luck but am now starting process to have Gastric Bypass

Starting Weight: now am 238

Present Weight: 238

Goal Weight: 138
Biggest hurdle to overcome in weightloss: Drinking Water

Following any specific plan: Whatever my Gastric Bypass Doctor Gives me

What is different this time in your weight loss efforts than in the past: Surgery

Anything else you would like to share with us: Just excited!

Sasmnky
10-07-2008, 02:36 PM
Geographical location: Sunny Northern Texas. (a transplant from California)
Marital Status: JUST Married
Children/Ages: B14,G11,B6 & G5
Pets: Dogs & Goats
Hobbies/Interests: I like old things, good music, cold vodka, sweet coffee, rocking tattoo's, shooting, photography,Action Shooting- IPSC, USPSA, IDPA, 3-Gun, gardening, family, friends, good movies, playing cards, motorcycles, burlesque, booty shaking , roller skating, saloons, bad boys, laughing...Not necessarily in that order.
Height: 5' 2
Eye/Hair Color: Brown /Brown
Starting Date of Weightloss Journey: FOREVER!
Surgery was 7/14/04
High Weight = 340
WLS Starting Weight: 298
Present Weight: 188

I'm 4 years out and the honeymoon is over. I've gained back 45+ lbs I have gone from a slim 150 to a Big 195. I've gone from a size 6/8 to a 14. I feel like a failure.I struggle with getting support since the move to Texas away from Family and Friends. I need to find a support group and some WLS friends in my area!I started weight watchers this week and I need to re-commit to eating right, small portions and working out. I need to eat, breath and move!!! OK on a Happy note I got Married in June Ü But I'm sad because my Dear Husband has not seen me BIG in a LONG time

VISIT ME at:
obesityhelp.com/member/sasmnky
myspace.com/sasmnky

butterflybabe
10-18-2008, 09:48 PM

Children/Ages: 2 girls (Ages 6 and 3)

Pets: 1 Cat-Bubbles

Hobbies/Interests: Swimming, Broadway, Traveling

Eye/Hair Color: Blonde/Brown

Starting Date of Weightloss Journey: 10/07/08

Starting Weight: 256

Present Weight: 236

Goal Weight: 120-125

Biggest hurdle to overcome in weightloss: Protein intake, Getting to the Gym, Negative, unsupportive people around me

Following any specific plan: RNY WLS Post Op

What is different this time in your weight loss efforts than in the past: You actually have to risk dying on this one!

Anything else you would like to share with us: I had LAP RNY on 10/7/08. I did have severe complications with the surgery but thankfully am here and am happy to be starting my journey.:eek:

E-mail: lgledge@aol.com

Thighs Be Gone
10-31-2008, 09:44 AM
Sasmnky--also in NTexas here-- wife and momma...You can get your weight back to the 150..you have done it before..what are you doing to kick it back in gear if you don't mind me asking

ditzyangeluk
11-01-2008, 02:34 AM

Geographical location: Suffolk, UK

Children/Ages: No children, but hoping still!

Pets: Taz, yorkie x chihuahua & Tilly, jack russell

Hobbies/Interests: Making wall art, setting up local WLS Support Group. eBay

Eye/Hair Color: Brown hair & Green eyes

Starting Date of Weightloss Journey: Oh, about 30 years ago! But had RNY Bypass on 1st September 2008

Starting Weight: 324

Present Weight: 275

Goal Weight: Less!

Biggest hurdle to overcome in weightloss: Drinking & Eating!

What is different this time in your weight loss efforts than in the past: Had to take drastic measures to get the results!

Anything else you would like to share with us: My primary reason for my bypass (apart from general health!) is to have a baby & be a Mum. I know it comes with no guarantees, but here's hoping

maggiebradley
11-20-2008, 11:32 AM

Geographical location: Ottawa, Canada

Pets: Not yet

Hobbies/Interests: Reading, knitting, loosing weight, moving

Height: 5'2.5"

Eye/Hair Color: Used to be blonde (now gray) / blue

Starting Date of Weightloss Journey: Teenage years

Starting Weight: 297

Present Weight: 241

Biggest hurdle to overcome in weightloss: Exercise

What is different this time in your weight loss efforts than in the past: WLS - RNY

Anything else you would like to share with us: Just realized that I'm eating more carbs than I thought. Need to cut back on fruit.

jillybean720
11-20-2008, 02:22 PM

Geographical location: Northern Virginia (outside DC)

Marital Status: Engaged :D

Children/Ages: none, yet, but I like to spoil my 2 nieces, Jackie (8) and Izzy (almost 2)

Pets: 2 dogs - Corgi/Jack Russell/Chihuahua mixes, Bean (female) and Bowser (male); toad, unnamed; blue/purple Betta fish on my desk at work, unnamed

Hobbies/Interests: music, editing, desktop publishing, movies, cartoons

Height: 5' 5"

Eye/Hair Color: Brown for both

Starting Date of Weightloss Journey: around June or July 2008 is when I started researching seriously

Starting Weight: 324 (that's my highest known)

Present Weight: about 295-300

Goal Weight: 150 (to be adjusted as I approach that weight)

Biggest hurdle to overcome in weightloss: keeping both my weight and my type 2 diabetes in check

Following any specific plan: limiting carbs

Anything else you would like to share with us: I was against WLS for myself until my diabetes diagnosis at age 25. Now I am seeking the DS as a means of potentially curing my diabetes.

Bariatric Girl
01-28-2009, 07:26 PM

Geographical location: Dallas, Texas (Plano really)

Marital Status: Married (6 years)

Children/Ages: 0

Occupation: Web Designer, Photographer, Musician, Artist, Accounting, co-host on automotive radio show with my husband, WLS volunteer and advocate

Pets: 5 cats- Scout (Tortoiseshell), Kalli Cat (Calico), Boo Radley (Orange Tabby), Yoshi (Flamepoint Siamese), Sammy (Siamese) and one dog Sundance (3 legged Bichon Frise)
all rescue babies!

Hobbies/Interests: Music (Cello, Guitar, Piano and other misc. instruments), computer graphics, polymer clay sculpture, crafts of many kinds, creating videos on youtube about WLS and animal rescue,

Eye/Hair Color: Blue/Blonde

Starting Date of Weightloss Journey: Surgery date 3/30/01

Starting Weight: 260 was my heaviest (before surgery)

Present Weight: 130

Biggest hurdle to overcome in weightloss: Seeing the huge difference in so many programs and wishing for more structure to help those in their journey

Following any specific plan: Knowing the surgery did not fix my head and working very hard on a plan for recovery from my addiction to food and making the changes necessary to deal with this disease

What is different this time in your weight loss efforts than in the past: I knew if I could just get back in the driver's seat one more time, I would do what was necessary to never return. I also knew that WLS gave me the tool I had always needed to help me do this. I lost the weight many many MANY times but could never keep it off until now.

Anything else you would like to share with us: I want to pay it forward and offer a helping hand to those that are on their journey on the road behind me because I could have never done it without those that were on the road ahead of me. I volunteer on various forums and have a site called Bariatric Girl.

dianek
01-29-2009, 03:33 PM

Occupation: taught special ed. for 24 years, now I am an online teacher. I am also a consultant with a couple of home based businesses, and help my husband with his personalization business.

Pets:

Hobbies/Interests: scrapbooking, creating custom fragrances, rubber stamping, reading/watchin mysteries, sci fi, fantasy.

Eye/Hair Color: blue/black( where it is still black: I started turning grey when I was 18)

Date of Surgery: November 26, 2008

Type of Surgery: Lap band

Starting Date of Weightloss Journey: I have been large all my life, I was a chubby kid. My folks started talking about it 2 years ago, but I have never had any kind of surgery and was scared to d3eath, so I put it off. I finally decided this year to do it. Mainly because I had gained so much weight that I could not even step up onto a curb. :(

Starting Weight: highest weight ever recorded: 486, not sure if this was the hightest or not, I went several years not being able to weigh on a scale.

Weight at surgery: 2 week pre-op: 469, surgery 439

Present Weight: 420

Goal Weight: When I graduated from HS I weighed 245, and dropped 45 pounds my first semester in college. I thought then I was huge, but I look back at photos and think wow I was kinda "skinny". So right now maybe 200

Biggest hurdle to overcome in managing after WLS: I am having trouble getting in the 3 small meals plus the protein shakes in. I am haviang to relearn how to eat.

I want to be able to do things with my husband. We want to go on another cruise, and I would like to be able to walk around the ship and get off at the ports.
I want a pair of jeans, and pants without an elastic waist.
I was lucky, maybe that is why I got so large, my cholestrol, blood pressure, blood sugar are all normal.

Diane

Mrs Karen79
02-19-2009, 09:46 PM

Geographical location: NW Pennsylvania

Children/Ages: Austyn (8), Raymond III (6) & Chloe (16 months)

Pets: Lita (3) ... Shihtzu

Hobbies/Interests: I love sports. My boys play them all. I love hockey and football the most :) .... other than that I love my computer

Eye/Hair Color: Hazel/Very Dark Brown (as of now lol)

Starting Date of Weightloss Journey: April 2008 ... just has RNY 1/26/2009!

Starting Weight: My highest non pregnancy weight was 287 January 1, 2009

Present Weight: 257.4 :)

Goal Weight: 160 lbs ... or to just be at a healthy weight :)

Biggest hurdle to overcome in weightloss: Head hunger, it sucks :(

Following any specific plan: Just my diet for post op ... I am in the mushy stages now. And to get all my vitamins in.

Anything else you would like to share with us: If you are considering WLS, it is NOT an easy way out. Do your research, ask questions, go to meetings, FOLLOW your doctors orders to a "T".

LisaChunky29
01-03-2010, 04:34 PM

Geographical location: Northern RI

Marital Status: In Love (never thought it would happen at this weight :)

Children/Ages: Not yet

Pets: 2 cats-Moby-short hair tiget and Bandit-short hair black

Hobbies/Interests: Jewelry Making, music, movies, reading

Height: 5' 7"

Eye/Hair Color: Changes/Blonde Highlights

Starting Date of Weightloss Journey: Sparked interest 05/2009-In fifth month of 6 month required monitored insurance thing (getting CLOSE!)

Starting Weight: Highest, 283

Present Weight: 274

Goal Weight: Oh, I haven't seen the other side of the scale in eons. 160.

Biggest hurdle to overcome in weightloss: Getting past plateaus

Following any specific plan: What ever that wonderful doctor tells me to do, I will do. Right now, nutritionist has me eating 1600 cals a day.

Anything else you would like to share with us: I can't wait to not have Acid Reflux anymore. Also, pre diabetic. Yuck

Nikkie219
02-10-2010, 02:43 PM

Geographical location: southern Virginia

Marital Status: contently/happily married

Children/Ages: 3 - Ali (9), Shane (6), Hayden (4)

Pets: Bella, a 1.5 yr old black lab

Hobbies/Interests: Reading (pretty much anything), writing (stories, letters), watching movies, listening to music, working out (gotta get back into that more), spending time with my family, trying new things, going to the beach, shopping

Eye/Hair Color: Blue-green/Dark brown

Starting Date of Weightloss Journey: *10/25/06 (Date of actual journey) *7/30/07 (Date of surgery)

Starting Weight: 2005/2006 *285-298 lbs Day of surgery (2007) *257.3 lbs

Present Weight: 147-149 lbs

Goal Weight: 135-140 lbs

Biggest hurdle to overcome in weightloss: Remembering to stay focused and drink/eat like I should. A lot of times I'm not hungry, so I don't eat/drink or I'm so busy I actually don't remind myself to stop and take the time to eat/drink. Also, remembering to NOT eat & drink at the same time.

Following any specific plan: post-WLS diet/plan

What is different this time in your weight loss efforts than in the past: When you have WLS you HAVE to do the right things and you actually see the results from it. Every other diet in the past failed miserably.

Anything else you would like to share with us: I'm in the process of starting up a support group in my hometown for people who want to lose weight, get into shape, eat better and who would like to learn more about the various types of WLS and if it would benefit them.

basketcase
02-19-2010, 05:02 PM

Geographical location: central Ohio

Marital Status: very happily married! Together for 25 years, married for 19 years.

Children/Ages: Lizzie - 12, Alex - 9

Occupation: self-employed text book editor, PTO board member (2 schools), Girl Scout leader, Cub Scout newsletter editor, Girl Scout service team member, personal secretary/assistant/word processor for husband finishing his masters

Pets: ShihTzu - Treasure (7yo); Cats - Adventure (17yo), Jimmy (6yo); Hamsters x4; fish; children - oh. already listed them

Hobbies/Interests: scrapbooking, computer stuff, stamping, card making

Starting Weight: 395 (sadly, not highest ever)

Present Weight: 381

Biggest hurdle to overcome in weightloss: Changing my mind about food and its role in my life

Following any specific plan: am hoping to have RNY surgery March 30, 2010 (just waiting on insurance confirmation)

What is different this time in your weight loss efforts than in the past: I'm working weekly with my therapist to work through issues. I have reached a point where I am being much more honest with myself. My therapist and I feel strongly that I am actually ready to make the change.

Anything else you would like to share with us:I am having a really hard time talking to people about this until I have a date on the calendar. I'm hoping "talking" with people online will help me with that. I am normally a very open person and have a lot of friends. I have been very selective in who I have talked to about my journey.

angelfadedblue
03-16-2010, 10:04 PM

Geographical location: Green Bay, WI

Marital Status: single- living with boyfriend...

Children/Ages; Madeline- age 6- soon to be 7

Occupation: i sit at a desk, computer stuff. Some days I dont even know anymore.. also going to school for my masters in Counseling

Pets: 2 cats. Tinky (the "blond", older momma), and Lucy. She's just crazy. I say she is a dog.. that can jump on the counters (to steal any food she can find. chocolate muffins.. really? cats like chocolate??)

Hobbies/Interests: computer stuff, and i recently just started growing a container garden- i have a greenhouse in my living room. literally- a greenhouse. portable ones.. we shall see if i can get some veggies out of this whole project!

Starting Weight: 295

Goal Weight: 160? or when this belly goes away more

Biggest hurdle to overcome in weightloss: unfortunatly, i dont dump with sweets. so,.. seep. i dont really get enough sleep and i compensate sometimes with candy. :( and also no mindless grazing.

Following any specific plan: trying to just get my protein in.. i cant stand the taste of protein shakes

What is different this time in your weight loss efforts than in the past: well.. the surgery helped me loose the weight and conquer my unstatisfyable hunger..

Anything else you would like to share with us: i lost a good amount of weight already.. and also helped a friend on her journey who just got WLS (a week ago) but im not a ridgid follower of the rules. I need people to set me stright sometimes, however, this also was a "tool" in my WLS, but doenst control my life. I drink Diet coke every day. i enjoy some moderate sweets, and am OK with that. i just need to remember how I ended up where i was before, and that i dont want to go back!

oh, and I used to be on this site- few years ago, way before surgery crossed my mind! love this site!!

skinnyinside33
04-04-2010, 09:30 PM

Geographical location: Louisiana

Marital Status: Married (13 years):hug:

Children/Ages: Son-11yo, Son-5yo, Daughter 12-yo

Pets: 1 Cat, Winky

Hobbies/Interests: Spending time with Family and Friends, Church, movies and relaxing.

Eye/Hair Color: Dark Brown

Starting Date of Weightloss Journey: Surgery date 5/11/10

Starting Weight: 270

Present Weight:270

Biggest hurdle to overcome in weightloss: I think my biggest battle is going to be following the diet with the bypass surgery but I am ready!! And my daughter who is 12 that is a little jealous trying to help her become healthy.

Following any specific plan: having gastric bypass 5/11/10

What is different this time in your weight loss efforts than in the past: This time it really is for life cant be anymore yo yo diets!! I am going to be 34 and I am tired of living my life like this when I know the real me is screaming to come out.

Anything else you would like to share with us: I am soo ready and I would love to hear your stories also..

iwillsparkle
04-17-2010, 04:00 PM

Geographical location: Arkansas

Pets: Buddy the mini-schnauzer

Hobbies/Interests: gardening, reading romance and inspirational novels, making jewelry

Height: 5'11"

Starting Date of Weightloss Journey: 12/28/2009

Starting Weight: 407

Goal Weight: 175

Biggest hurdle to overcome in weightloss: Getting protein and easy convenient meals for one!

What is different this time in your weight loss efforts than in the past: I am seeing progress!

Anything else you would like to share with us: My family does not know that I have had surgery. My goal is to lose 100 lbs by June 11, the day of our annual family reunion.

LisaRagan
06-10-2010, 03:07 PM

Children/Ages: 2 - male - 12 and 9

Pets: 3 cats

Hobbies/Interests: sewing and scrapbooking

Eye/Hair Color: hazel/red

Starting Date of Weightloss Journey:1/12/2009

Starting Weight: 298

Present Weight: 209.9

Biggest hurdle to overcome in weightloss: Drinking the water and exercising.

Following any specific plan:Lap band

What is different this time in your weight loss efforts than in the past: Exercising more.

Anything else you would like to share with us: I would love to hit the 199 mark. I haven't been that small since high school.

babypuff
11-16-2010, 04:54 PM

Marital Status: Married (16 years)

Children/Ages: Step-daughter 27, Sons,20,12,and 8

Pets: 1 Dog

Hobbies/Interests: My family, Reading and spending time with friends

Height: 5'6

Eye/Hair Color: Brown/Brown

Starting Date of Weightloss Journey: Consult Today 11/16/2010

Starting Weight:225

Present Weight:225

Biggest hurdle to overcome in weightloss: (which is why I choose the Lap-Band, to help with this battle)

Following any specific plan:LapBand

What is different this time in your weight loss efforts than in the past: I am tired of yo yo dieting and Not going out because I don't want people to judge me I am depressed from my weight

Anything else you would like to share with us: I just want to be one of the 'normal sized' people. Not too thin, I don't want to feel like a Apple on a stick

Phoenix59
11-18-2010, 01:22 AM

Marital Status: single, in a relationship

Pets: none at present. Roommates have 3 adorable cats

Hobbies/Interests: volunteering, reading, beading jewelry, making art, and learning to make exercising enjoyable.

Eye/Hair Color: Blonde/blue

Starting Date of Weightloss Journey: 9/19/2010

Starting Weight: highest weight last winter was 283, pre op was bout 265

Present Weight: 209

Goal Weight: about 150

Biggest hurdle to overcome in weightloss: Getting in the protein, avoiding unhealthy food and learning to deal with stress in a healthy way.

What is different this time in your weight loss efforts than in the past: The gastric bypass surgery has given me a great headstart at losing the weight, and I am dedicated to keeping it off, so am exercising regularly.

Anything else you would like to share with us: I want to learn and continue to use healthy choices and habits. And most of all be brutally honest with myself and make healthy decisions for me. I have to do this and i want to do this!!
Thanks in advance for any support..:dizzy:

VioletSwerve
12-10-2010, 05:47 PM

Geographical location: Missouri

Marital Status: Engaged to my boyfriend of 6 years. :)

Occupation: Full-time student at present, going back to work next month

Pets: None, but I love animals. :)

Hobbies/Interests: Anything crafty like scrapbooking, cardmaking, etc, decorating my house, playing cards and board games, watching movies, going on long drives with my love. :D

Eye/Hair Color: Blue/Dark brown with red and blonde highlights

Starting Date of Weightloss Journey: Um, wow! Where to start? I guess I'll say 12/14/10, because this is my surgery date.

Starting Weight: 454

Present Weight: 429

Goal Weight: 175

Biggest hurdle to overcome in weightloss: Drinking water and exercising!

Following any specific plan: Gastric Bypass

What is different this time in your weight loss efforts than in the past: I am having surgery this time. ;)

Anything else you would like to share with us: I cant think of anything, but if you have any questions just ask!

ibeckyu
01-31-2011, 09:52 PM

Geographical location: Carroll County Maryland

Marital Status: Married (7 years)

Children/Ages: Abigail Rose (6) and Lucille AnnaMarie (3) Brittany (1985-2003)

Pets: 3 dogs (chihuahua-cricket(9), spitz/beagle-Bear(10), some sort of mix the size of a horse-Skylar(2)) and 3 cats (Susie(15), Emma(9), and Snuggles(8))

Hobbies/Interests: My Family, reading (when I have time), cooking and baking.

Eye/Hair Color: Green/blonde

Starting Date of Weightloss Journey: WLS 12/23/2008

Starting Weight: 385

Present Weight:248

Goal Weight: 199

Biggest hurdle to overcome in weightloss: Using food for the right reasons. I use food for stress, pain management, boredom, and rewarding myself. When I lost my first 100lbs, all I could think of was to go out and eat as a reward!

Following any specific plan: Trying to get back on track by recording my food intake and living life more healthily

What is different this time in your weight loss efforts than in the past: All my life I have started and stopped all kinds of diets. I researched and stressed over the decision to have WLS for more than 3 years. After surgery, I lost quickly w/o really trying. Once I was able to eat, I ate whatever I wanted except sweets and breads. I can now tolerate some sweets, but I still have issues w/ bread. I want to teach myself to eat better, make better choices, and I want to actually learn to have a better relationship with food. This is the first time I have actually joined a support group like this and I hope this group will be the tool I need to stick with it this time.

Anything else you would like to share with us: My highest weight was 430lbs. I was 385 the day of surgery. My lowest weight was 226 and this was the smallest I had been since 1980. I am frustrated that I have gained 12lbs over the last 3 weeks and I need to get myself back under control.

lacherrone
02-02-2011, 01:19 PM

Geographical location: southwest michigan

Children/Ages: andrew-20, hallie-10, mia-4, tate-3

Pets: 3 mo. old german shephard-duke, 2 yr old cat-doggie

Hobbies/Interests: reading, music, biking, kickboxing, running

Eye/Hair Color: brown (shade depends on season)/blue

Date of Surgery: January 26,2010

Starting Date of Weightloss Journey: forever, i feel like i have always dieted!

Starting Weight: highest weight ever recorded: 272 in january 2010

Weight at surgery: 260

Present Weight: 182-186

Goal Weight: 145, then we will see if i like the way i look, maybe go back up to 155? just depends.

Biggest hurdle to overcome in managing after WLS: getting enough protein, matching the changes in my mind with the changes in my body.

What is different this time in your weight loss efforts than in the past: i had my thyroid removed and its been a battle ever since. before i was just chubby, afterwards, i moved quickly into the obese, and morbidly obese category. i could diet and exercise all i wanted but nothing was permanent, this time with the surgery, i finally feel like the playing ground is evened out a little. i felt like it gave me a chance to make a new start.

i had surgery because i wanted to make sure i could keep up with my kids, and be more of a role model to them, especially my girls. if i can get them to start a healthy lifestyle now, it will last them their lifetime. i dont want them to struggle like i did.

rkrs6673
02-06-2011, 08:46 AM

Geographical location: Missouri

Children/Ages: 2

Pets: 0

Hobbies/Interests: School, school and more school

Eye/Hair Color: Brown/Black

Starting Date of Weightloss Journey: RNY 11/30/2009!

Starting Weight: 398

Present Weight: 257.4

Goal Weight: 198 lbs

Biggest hurdle to overcome in weightloss: Getting in enough protein

Following any specific plan: Healthy eating

Anything else you would like to share with us: This is a life long journey not a quick fix

dakiniverona
05-22-2011, 12:10 PM

Geographical location: Southern California

Children/Ages: 2 - daughter 28, son 37, 5 grandchildren from 20 months to 17 years old and 1 great grandchild 3 months old

Pets: 1 assistance dog, 3 cats and husband

Hobbies/Interests: School, school and more school

Height: 5' 4.5"

Eye/Hair Color: Blonde/Brown (Goldwell colours)

Starting Date of Weightloss Journey: Fobi Pouch 7/14/1999

Starting Weight: 270 +/-

Present Weight: 198.8

Goal Weight: 150 lbs

Biggest hurdle to overcome in weightloss: stopping grazing

Following any specific plan: Weight Watchers Momentum

Anything else you would like to share with us: After my WLS my lowest weight was 189.9, but quickly settled in at 195. The weight slowly crept up to 220 after about 5 years. I had a tummy tuck in 2004 and was 205 after the surgery to remove the excess skin. My weight went up again - to 221. I went on the Richard Simmons plan and got down to 190, but after some health issues found myself at almost 220 in January of 2010. I became diabetic during this whole process from not eating enough meat (so hard for me to digest). I do not want to take meds, so am on the path of losing the excess weight. I have muscular dystrophy which means my body is not strong and my weak muscles do not burn off the food I eat. I am following the momentum plan and have lost 15 pounds this past year.

littlebiskit
05-22-2011, 10:35 PM

Children/Ages: 1 - My daughter Lily will be four next week on Memorial Day (May 30th for those not in the US :D)

Occupation: Customer Service in the food and beverage industry (office/phones)

Pets: 1 cat (actually my husband's cat, he already had her when we met nearly 12 years ago)

Hobbies/Interests: Board games, crochet, cross stitch, spending too much time on the internet.

Height: 5' 6.5"

Eye/Hair Color: Reddish brown hair (thanks to my stylist, LOL) eyes are green.

Starting Date of Weightloss Journey: Right now I'm probably between 340-350

Starting Weight:

Present Weight: 198.8

Goal Weight: 180-200

Biggest hurdle to overcome in weightloss: emotional eating

Following any specific plan: Not right now

Anything else you would like to share with us: I'm really very very alone in this right now. I haven't told anyone in my real life about my decision to have weight loss surgery. I have my first appointment with a bariatric nurse this coming Wednesday. I'm terrified about everything EXCEPT the surgery. The lifestyle changes that need to take place, dealing with insurance, dealing with the reactions of people. But I'm resolved.

rubycat
06-10-2011, 08:04 AM

Geographical location: Finger Lakes region of NY state

Marital Status: happily single and not looking right now

Children/Ages: no children (ovarian cancer survivor)

Pets: megan (curvy sleek and pretty calico tortie/tux cross kitty)

Hobbies/Interests: painting, writing, drawing, singing, listening to music, dancing, theatre (acting in -- my bachelor's is in theatre arts), playing the viola, reading reading reading, hanging out with distant friends online

Eye/Hair Color: blond/green

Starting Date of Weightloss Journey: 12/31/2010

Starting Weight: 362

Present Weight: 328

Biggest hurdle to overcome in weightloss: right now? carb cravings!

Following any specific plan: RNY WLS pre-op behavioral modification lifestyle diet (just like it will eventually be post-op i am told)

What is different this time in your weight loss efforts than in the past: nothing yet -- i am waiting for the weight to come piling back on. i am hopeful that the rny will work to aid me in really dropping the pounds and as a sort of feedback tool to keep it off!

Anything else you would like to share with us: i am working on becoming the me i wish i could one day be inside and out. i have a lot of physical and psychological troubles but these do not define who i am.

Amber1011
08-03-2011, 02:32 PM
I figured, since I'm finally getting close, I might as well post a bio!

Geographical location: Central New York

Children/Ages: No clildren yet, but we're looking forward to them in the future

Occupation: full-time college student, part time computer lab assistant

Pets: 2 cats (Willow and Sadie) and 2 gerbils (Mario and Luigi)

Hobbies/Interests: Music (in so many ways), crocheting, sewing, other crafts

Eye/Hair Color: Brown/Bottle Red

Starting Date of Weightloss Journey: The day I was born... >.> but seriously, I've always been trying to lose weight.

Starting Weight: 320

Present Weight: 307.2

Goal Weight: 125

Biggest hurdle to overcome in weightloss: snacking in the evening and fast food

Following any specific plan: Calorie counting then Roux-en-y sometime in my near future.

RaeginGal
09-06-2011, 06:14 AM

Geographical location: SouthWestern Ontario

Marital Status: Married (8 years)

Children/Ages: Son-10yo, Step Daughter 19-yo, Step Daughter 21-yo

Pets: 2 lovely but Ugly Bulldog Princesses

Hobbies/Interests: Mostly Reading Gardening and my Bulldogs

Eye/Hair Color: Red

Starting Date of Weightloss Journey: Surgery date will be Sept 30, 2011

Starting Weight: 230 was my heaviest ever, currently 185 pre-op

Biggest hurdle to overcome in weightloss: loneliness and beer. I eat when I feel lonely.. my husband broke his neck x2, back x1 and cracked his sternum in a snowmobile accident.. I have been home taking care of him since Jan 2011 and have been packing back on the pounds.

Following any specific plan: Lap-Band Surgery on Sept 30, 2011

What is different this time in your weight loss efforts than in the past: I'm not going to wait until I magically feel better about myself to lose the weight.. I'm going to use the Lapband to boost the weightloss resulting in me feeling better about myself and hence more determined to work it..

Anything else you would like to share with us: I can't remember a time when I could go into a store and just pick something off the rack to try on and have hope it would fit.. I would like to do that.. I would like to shop for clothes with hope...

anajjana
09-23-2011, 12:49 PM

Marital Status: in a relationship (2yrs)

Children/Ages: none yet

Pets: Precious (yorkie-poo)

Hobbies/Interests: reading, crocheting, going to movies

Height: 5'34

Eye/Hair Color: brown/black

Starting Date of Weightloss Journey: 12/21/2010

Starting Weight: 274

Present Weight: 237

Goal Weight: 120ish

Biggest hurdle to overcome in weightloss: eating, it still makes me a lil uncomfortable

What is different this time in your weight loss efforts than in the past: we i have a lot less stomach now and i'm actually working out.

Anything else you would like to share with us: i made the decision to have this surgery on my own & i only told a few about it before i actually had it. i'm looking forward for the weight to keep dropping and for me to reach my goal of 120ish, something i've wanted my entire life.

totraceme
10-19-2011, 10:02 AM

Geographical location: Nebraska

Marital Status: Engaged

Children/Ages: 2

Pets: 2 Cats (Lily and Lou)

Hobbies/Interests: Fixing up the house, biking

Eye/Hair Color: Hazel/Blonde-Brown

Starting Date of Weightloss Journey: I would like to say my whole life but April 20, 2009 I had a rouyen y gastric bypass - I was supposed to have a gastric sleeve and the doc had issues so they opened me up and here I am today.

Starting Weight: 351

Present Weight: 204

Goal Weight: 165 lbs

Biggest hurdle to overcome in weightloss: I really need to learn to get away from the sugary foods. They make me very ill when I eat them but I still do it. In 2 1/2 years I still haven't learned that I can't have them any more. Plus I have hypoglycemia so it is really not good when I have sugar. I have been as low as 196 but found myself endulging in sweets so my weight went up to 210 - I thought I can't go through all of this again so I am trying something new.

Following any specific plan: Trying Metabolic Research Diet to lose the remainder of my excess weight.

Anything else you would like to share with us: I used to think WLS was the cheaters way out but I have found out it has been one of the hardest things I have ever done. Very difficult to change eating habits but it truly was the best thing for me. I have had a hernia repair, a tummy tuck and feel such much better about myself - better than I have in almost 20 years. :)

Alexs Mama
10-19-2011, 11:21 AM

Geographical location: Washington

Marital Status: Domestic Partnership
Children/Ages: 18-y.o. DD and 11-y.o. DS

Pets: Chaquita (pom-chi princess), Tasha German Shepard, 4 cats

Hobbies/Interests: gardening, reading, and spending time with kiddos

Height: 5'4

Eye/Hair Color: Brown and Gray :)/Brown

Starting Date of Weightloss Journey: Birth lol

Starting Weight: 238

Present Weight: 232

Biggest hurdle to overcome in weightloss: Getting protein and water

What is different this time in your weight loss efforts than in the past: I am putting myself first and foremost...

Anything else you would like to share with us:My goal is to become a healthy fit me!!! I have type 2 diabetes and Fibromyalgia. I want to grow old with my DW and kids.

steps4freedom
11-11-2011, 01:42 AM
Geographical location: Wyoming
Children/Ages: 16YO Step-son
Pets: Roscoe (shih-tzu / poodle mix), Cody (shih-tzu / lhaso apso mix), 4 cats (Tucker, Mia, Grady, and Scootch)
Hobbies/Interests: Reading, writing, music, photography, learning, cooking, crocheting, health care, advocacy, volunteering
Height: 5'0"
Eye/Hair Color: Brown and Brown
Starting Date of Weightloss Journey: 8 or 9
Starting Weight: 456
Present Weight: 434 last I checked
Biggest hurdle to overcome in weightloss: Kicking my soda habit, exercising more, choosing better foods
Following any specific plan: Eventually RNY, but currently South Beach
What is different this time in your weight loss efforts than in the past: I have hope that I didn't have before.
Anything else you would like to share with us: I want to do many things, and my weight has always held me back. Instead of waiting for the right time, I'm taking the bull by its horns and I am doing what I feel is right for me.

Maddie24
11-27-2011, 12:20 AM

Geographical location: Idaho!

Pets: Mini Schnauzer Toby, Blue Healer: Sadie

Hobbies/Interests: Doing nails (any kind!), hair, chilling out at home, traveling, being with family and friends

Eye/Hair Color: Hazel eyes, blonde hair (natural hair color is dark brown)

Starting Date of Weightloss Journey: August 12, 2011

Starting Weight: 273

Present Weight: 236

Biggest hurdle to overcome in weightloss: getting motivation to exercise and stop giving in to temptation

What is different this time in your weight loss efforts than in the past: This one is working and Im sticking to it!

Anything else you would like to share with us: I decided to get WLS at a young age so I can avoid any health problems associated with being overweight. I am so happy I got this life changing tool and I do not regret it!

MsBear56
01-01-2013, 09:15 AM

Geographical location: North Carolina

Children/Ages: Grown

Pets: 4 dogs, 3 cats, 1 gold fish

Hobbies/Interests: Crocheting, reading, jewelry making

Eye/Hair Color: Brown

Starting Date of Weightloss Journey: 10/28/2010

Starting Weight: 335

Present Weight: 233

Biggest hurdle to overcome in weightloss: Protein

I had WLS in 10/2010. I am at a point in my journey where I have gained weight. I am having trouble getting back on track. I avoid the things that make me hurl.....rice, noodles, MEAT....problem is getting in protein. And I have started craving sugar. What can I do about that? Why all of a sudden do I want sugar? Can you help a sister out?

marcwell
02-25-2013, 09:59 PM
Marc & Marcela
300 and 245
NYC

petra65
02-26-2013, 07:05 AM
Barbara and Marc, you may want to post in the regular part of the forum down below for questions or support.

Firefly0705
02-26-2013, 05:22 PM

Geographical location: Carolinas

Children/Ages: 2 - Son (10), Daughter (9), Son (5), Daughter (3).

Pets: 1 Dog (A Havanese named Bella)

Hobbies/Interests: Shopping, Yardwork, Travel

Height: 5' 4"

Eye/Hair Color: Brown/Dark Brown

Starting Date of Weightloss Journey: Lap RNY 8/27/2012

Starting Weight: 245 lbs

Present Weight: 169 lbs

Goal Weight: 130 lbs

Biggest hurdle to overcome in weightloss: Realizing that although I have had major surgery, I still have no control of my scale

Following any specific plan: Low carb/Liquid protein

Anything else you would like to share with us: Before WLS in 2012, I struggled with weight all of my adult life. I was under the false belief that I would lose weight effortlessly with WLS. After my first 4-5 months, I hit a major slowdown. What happened to the "honeymoon" period? I guess mine was awfully short. I am a perfect case of 100% compliance with the plan that my surgeon set forth, exercising 5-6 times per week, with minimal results at this point. I won't give up. I will go back on liquid protein diet (the same required pre-op) until I reach my goal. I am tired of weight defining who I am. I know that I can maintain once I reach my goal. I am mentally prepared for maintenance. I refuse to ensure another heavy summer where I cannot go to the beach with my family. Drastic measures!!!

Alajane
03-27-2013, 05:46 PM

Marital Status: Married--just celebrated 40 years!!

Children/Ages: Grown daughter and son, 3 granddaughters (8, 6, and 1)

Occupation: Paper pusher is my day job; I also have a home-based business making wax melts, candles, soap, and other scented products.

Pets: 1 Black Cat named SugarBear

Hobbies/Interests: Shopping, Reading, Couch Tater (love to watch TV WAAAAY too much--at least I have a TV in my candle-making workroom and can work while I watch). I love to travel but don't get to do that nearly as much as I'd like!

Eye/Hair Color: Green/Blondish-brown (right now--covered the gray last week)

Starting Date of Weightloss Journey: VSG hopefully in May or June

Starting Weight: 284 lbs at last doctor visit

Goal Weight: 150 lbs would be thrilling but probably not likely

Biggest hurdle to overcome in weightloss: The thing I'm really concerned about right now is not drinking with meals--I drink a LOT (luckily not alcohol)!

Following any specific plan: Not yet

Anything else you would like to share with us: I can't remember a time in my life that I wasn't overweight! I remember weighing 90 pounds in first grade and my best friend weighed 60--but I can remember being "chubby" (the kindest word ever used) even before I started school. I've been up and down and up again all my life--now I'm having health issues for the first time and have to make this work! Also, living in Alabama, I would love to not be hot all the time!!

Tymetravler
04-03-2013, 12:04 PM
NAME: Sherrill
MARITAL STATUS:
CHILDREN: 2

PETS: 2

HEIGHT: 5'8"

PREOP WEIGHT: 261
SURGERY DATE: 01/17/2013

TYPE OF WLS: By Pass
PRESENT WEIGHT: 230.4
THOUGHTS: This has been a journey.:carrot:
Feeling Good, feeling Okay,felling concerned ... have found out a lot about myself I didn't think I did.

Tentoumushi
04-22-2013, 11:57 AM

Geographical location: Arkansas

Marital Status: married (3rd time's a charm) 25 1/2 years

Children/Ages: 1 son 41 yrs old, 1 grandson 19 yrs old

Pets: 2 dogs (Mtn Curs) Tuffy & Sandy Two Socks, 1 barn cat (no name), 1 horse - Doc, 1 Jenny mule - Miss Kitty, 2 donkey Jennies - Buttons & Bows and Bows 5 day old baby jack - Zipper plus 6 guinea fowl and 15 or so chickens

Hobbies/Interests: stitching Temari, making wine, cooking (but not cleaning up my mess, hate that part), sewing, assort'd crafts and fixing my computer

Height: 5' 2 1/2"

Eye/Hair Color: brown (or as a potential date said when asked by a friend what color my eyes were, dog s#$t brown, he didn't get the date) hair is mostly gray, was brown too

Starting Date of Weightloss Journey: After my son was born

Starting Weight: 259 then, recently after multiply diets and 2 gastric bypass' down to 119 and back up to 239

Biggest hurdle to overcome in weightloss: trying to exercise

Following any specific plan: I am currently on "The Canine Diet" (you get 2 or more dogs with good appetites, and give them the lions share of your food. The trick is, you can't go back for seconds)

Anything else you would like to share with us: 2 rounds of cancer and an assortment of other illness (the only thing my doctor doesn't treat me for are me ear lobes, they are healthy!)

mom2sands
04-22-2013, 08:02 PM

Geographical location: VA

Marital Status: married 25 yrs

Children/Ages: 1 son and 1 daughter

Pets: 1 dog, 2 cats

Hobbies/Interests: cooking, reading, pastel drawing, genealogy

Height: 5' 2 1/2"

Eye/Hair Color: brown/brown

Starting Date of Weightloss Journey: Since high school when I thought I was fat, but really wasn't

Starting Weight: 130 in high school (fat, really?) then up to 255, then down to 229 (due to stress--not a recommended weight loss solution), then up to 263, now down to 250. My body likes to be around 250. I've lost and found that magic number a few times.

Biggest hurdle to overcome in weightloss: exercise and mindless eating

Following any specific plan: I am currently eating healthy--mostly fish and chicken, more fruits and veggies, no soda, sweet tea, or juices, walking

Anything else you would like to share with us: I hate being fat. I would love to be able to pick out an outfit and just wear it without looking like a house. My husband and children do not have weight issues and I hate that I do. I have little self-control when it comes to eating, but have been having better success at making better choices.

cbsweet33
06-04-2013, 06:49 AM
Geographical location: ME
Marital Status: married 29yrs
Children/Ages: a daughter 26, a son 23
Pets: 1 dog, 1 cat
Hobbies/Interests: cooking, gardening, traveling
Height: 5' 2"
Eye/Hair Color: blue/blonde
Starting Date of Weightloss Journey: 1986 after the birth of my daughter
Starting Weight: 260 Roux-En-Y Gastric Bypass Sept 2010
Goal Weight: 150 would be fine but 130 would be great!

Biggest hurdle to overcome in weightloss: taking my vitamins, exercise and making the best food choices. I didn't go through this all for nothing.

Following any specific plan: just trying to eat healthy and keep my calories down and my protein up.

Anything else you would like to share with us: When I stopped focusing on my weightloss and went back to college to finish my degree I gained back 30 pounds. I have finished my degree and now am starting to loose those pounds. It is so hard. 22 more pounds to go to get where I was at my lowest, then I will feel like I am back in control. :)

SnowAngel72
06-13-2013, 04:45 PM

Geographical location: Upper Pennisula of Michigan

Children/Ages: A few kids. Teenagers and a first grader

Pets: Three dogs and one cat

Hobbies/Interests: reading, swimming, biking, Zumba (one of my new passions. I have so much fun doing it)

Eye/Hair Color: hazel/color red cause there is gray in there now. lol

Date of Surgery: Not scheduled yet. Depending on my insurance hopefully July, Aug or Sept. The WLS Center will send for an approval in July after my next pc doc appt on the 9th.

Starting Date of Weightloss Journey: 1992 its when I got married and I started to see my weight go up and down.

Starting Weight: highest weight ever recorded: 309 April 2013

Weight at surgery:

Present Weight: 300

Goal Weight: 165

Biggest hurdle to overcome in managing after WLS: I have hypothyroidism and it makes it difficult for me to lose weight.

I am currently getting everything needed to be done to have the surgery. (labwork and tests). I have high cholesterol, high blood pressure and a fatty liver. I want to be around for longer and enjoy doing things with my children again.

noranoranora
06-17-2013, 03:45 PM

Geographical location: ON

Marital Status: married 30 yrs

Children/Ages: 2 sons

Pets: 1 dog

Hobbies/Interests: cooking, reading, obsessing about my weight

Eye/Hair Color: blue/grey

Starting Date of Weightloss Journey: at age 5 when the neighbourhood chant was "Nora squashed the world, Nora squashed the world!!!".

Highest Weight: 284

Goal Weight: 150ish

Biggest hurdle to overcome in weightloss: exercise and mindless eating

Following any specific plan: just trying to stick to the wls diet

Anything else you would like to share with us: I want to be free of this extra weight that is holding me down to the earth. I want to soar as high as my bat wings will let me go!

mrs bumble
07-23-2013, 05:14 AM

Geographical location: uk

Marital Status: divorced

Children/Ages: 14 n 2 girls

Pets: 4 cats

Hobbies/Interests: reading

Eye/Hair Color: green

Starting Date of Weightloss Journey: 2008 lapband 2013 waiting for bypass

Highest Weight: 180kg

Goal Weight: 100kg
Biggest hurdle to overcome in weightloss: failed lapband regaining 7 stone gaining another 5 stone from medication side effects

Following any specific plan: not until surgery

Anything else you would like to share with us: I have mild bipolar, I have struggled with weight all my life so had a lapband lost a lot of weight but regained it when I had a band slippage am now so big I have opted for a bypass instead

Rebecca76
01-07-2014, 12:44 AM

Children/Ages: Son-12

Pets: Fish and mini schnauzers

Hobbies/Interests: music, education, church

Height: 5'10"

Eye/Hair Color: hazel/ (Blonde naturally but i often dye to red)

Date of Surgery: Scheduled for March 10, 2014

Type of Surgery: VSG

Starting Date of Weightloss Journey: hmm 2000ish

Starting Weight: 376

Weight at surgery: unknown

Present Weight: 376

Goal Weight: around 145

Biggest hurdle to overcome in managing after WLS: time management and remembering to plan out my food in advance

AshleyAnn519
01-14-2014, 07:55 PM

Children/Ages: I have here kids. My oldest is a girl and she's 5, my middle is another girl and she's 2 and my baby is a boy and he's 9 months!

Pets: Frisco, all black Chihuahua. Two Lionhead rabbits, Max & Thumper

Hobbies/Interests: Crafts, diy, party/event planning

Eye/Hair Color: green/blondish brown

Starting Date of Weightloss Journey: I can't put a date on it I've been trying to lose, losing and gaining for years. VSG will be 3/2/2014

Starting Weight: 340

Present Weight: 317

Goal Weight: 180

Biggest hurdle to overcome in weightloss: Stop snacking, no sweets

What is different this time in your weight loss efforts than in the past: Having WLS this time

Iwanawurkit
02-10-2014, 08:32 PM

Children/Ages: Grown daughter (28) and 2 sons (32 and 25), 1 granddaughter (2)

Pets: yes, 2 Shitz and 2 Kitties

Hobbies/Interests: Swimming, Sun bathing and gardening

Eye/Hair Color: Hazel and Auburn (covered grey)

Starting Date of Weightloss Journey: LB Feb 12, 2014

Starting Weight: 233.9 lbs at hospital testing

Goal Weight: 150 lbs at least even though doctor says 170

Biggest hurdle to overcome in weightloss: The unknown

Following any specific plan: thinking about the Fast Metabolism (thyroid issues)

Anything else you would like to share with us: I am sure eventually I will have more to say but right now I am excited to get the party started!

ashleynm87
03-26-2014, 05:16 PM

Geographical location: Currently Alaska then wherever the army sends us :)

Children/Ages: 2, ages 10 & 6

Pets: Jasper- yellow lab, & Sparkles- Fluffy ball of kittie cuteness

Hobbies/Interests: I'll admit, I love my TV... Pinterest, Facebook... But most of all, spending time with family, visiting relatives back home in Oklahoma, Being outdoors.

Height: 5'5''

Eye/Hair Color: green eyes, Hair color depends on what mood I'm in for. ;)

Starting Date of Weightloss Journey: 12/2013

Starting Weight: 268

Present Weight: 255

Goal Weight: 134

Biggest hurdle to overcome in weightloss: Eating right, counting calories, portion control, planning & prepping... I'm working on it!!!

Following any specific plan: currently calorie counting, will have RNY late summer 2014

What is different this time in your weight loss efforts than in the past: My upcoming surgery has made me so hopeful that I may actually be back to my healthier, thinner, happier body & self. I'm more determined than ever to make this work.

Anything else you would like to share with us: Just Thanks for the Support!

ryzmom
04-05-2014, 04:05 PM

Geographical location: Virginia

Children/Ages: 2 sons

Pets: 3 Boston Terriers & my husband

Hobbies/Interests: Exercising: walking, zumba, pilates, yoga. Shopping. Reading.

Height: 5' 8"

Eye/Hair Color: Blue eyes, blonde hair

Starting Date of Weightloss Journey: went to WLS seminar March 19, 2014

Starting Weight: 253 lbs

Goal Weight: 140 lbs

Biggest hurdle to overcome in weightloss: Learn to eat slowly. Don't eat out of boredom. Watch portion sizes.

Following any specific plan: Using MFP to monitor caloric intake

I was fairly thin until 1999 when I had a HUGE emotional loss due to the death of my 3 month old son. I gained 60lbs in that pregnancy and another 70 while grieving. I battle depression & have found it's very hard to stay motivated while fighting depression and zooming towards 60! I have attempted a gazillion times to lose the weight, and I do at first, but then I gain it back PLUS some more! I figure I'm not getting any younger, so I would like to get WLS now while I can. I would like to fit into my size 8 wedding dress for our 20th anniversary in 2017. I want to be able to do yoga & pilates again.

kayleystar
05-11-2014, 06:07 PM

Marital Status: Married 4 years, together 10!

Children/Ages: My fur-baby, Winston. My pug! <3

Pets: My puggy boy.

Hobbies/Interests: Photography, Jewely-making, cooking/baking, binge-watching Netflix.

Eye/Hair Color: Blue eyes, black hair (natural red-head)

Starting Date of Weightloss Journey: Since I was 10 or 11 years old.

Starting Weight: My highest was 420 pounds in March.

Goal Weight: 200.

Biggest hurdle to overcome in weightloss: My emotional attachment to food.

Following any specific plan: I monitor what I eat, and make the best decisions possible.

Anything else you would like to share with us: After an appointment with my doctor, in which she suggested I begin the process of really looking into weight loss surgery, here I am.

Masquisha1977
06-06-2014, 10:05 AM

Geographical location: New Hampshire

Marital Status: Married 6 years, together 7! :hug:

Children/Ages: one son, 2 mo

Pets: 2 dogs and 3 cats

Hobbies/Interests: sewing, knitting, crocheting, cooking

Eye/Hair Color: Blue eyes, blond hair

Starting Date of Weightloss Journey: Since I was 14 years old.

Starting Weight: My highest was 368 pounds in June 2012.

Biggest hurdle to overcome in weightloss: My emotional attachment to food.

Following any specific plan: WW Simply Filling/Core

Anything else you would like to share with

WorldTraveleronIP
06-23-2014, 09:00 AM

Geographical location: Colorado

Hobbies/Interests: Writing, traveling, yoga, nature hikes/walks, knitting, cooking

Height: 5' 1"

Eye/Hair Color: Blue/blonde

Starting Date of Weightloss Journey: Age 12

Starting Weight: 219 lbs at last doctor visit

Goal Weight: 125 lbs

Biggest hurdle to overcome in weightloss: emotional eating to avoid feelings

Following any specific plan: low carb

Anything else you would like to share with us: My insurance company denied me weight loss surgery-only offered another diet plan. I have spent thousands on those and they work short term but I gain it all back. I wanted a permanent tool to enforce portion control, so I went to Mexico on May 26th for VSG and am re-learning how to eat. It's been easy with physical hunger (there is none) but head hunger is a different story. It's strange to have so much time now and to realize how much of my life was devoted to food-shopping for it, cooking it, going out for it. It is truly a new life.

diyana
07-08-2014, 05:20 PM
Hi - I figured I'd introduce myself even though I'm still a few months away from surgery.

Geographical location: Silicon Valley, CA

Children/Ages: None.

Pets: Santa (white Miniature Schnauzer)

Hobbies/Interests: Spending time with my boyfriend and with my dog, reading, writing, watching movies, going to the gym

Starting Date of Weightloss Journey: My entire adult life, but for the purposes of this, I'll use the official starting weight/date for my WLS:: 6/26/2014

Starting Weight: 244

Present Weight: 240

Goal Weight Required for Surgery: 224

Goal Weight After Surgery: 140

Biggest hurdle to overcome in pre-surgery weightloss: Dealing with emotions, rather than stuffing them down with food.

Following any specific plan: 1,200 calorie/day to get to my required weight for surgery

What is different this time in your weight loss efforts than in the past: I feel optimistic that with having surgery I'll be able to lose the weight and keep it off.

duckyyellowfeet
07-09-2014, 09:03 PM

Marital Status: Engaged (wedding date: 10/4/14!!)

Hobbies/Interests: being with my friends and families, reading books for fun, cooking, travel

Eye/Hair Color: Blue, Blonde (or at least when I keep my roots up)

Starting Date of Weightloss Journey: goodness, forever? I started looking into WLS in August of 2013

Present Weight: 235

Goal Weight Required for Surgery: 265

Goal Weight After Surgery: 160

Biggest hurdle to overcome in pre-surgery weightloss: pre-surgery, I hated having to add breakfast into my diet... I still hate breakfast post surgery.

Surgery Date: 6/10, Vertical Sleeve

What is different this time in your weight loss efforts than in the past: 80% of my stomach is gone... really, I'm much more focused than I have been before. I have PCOS and am nervous about my fertility and ability to carry a child. A very good friend of mine has PCOS too and had a horrible experience with pregnancy and it really scared me. I feel much more in control of my diet and eating now and am confident I made the right choice with surgery.