100 lb. Club - Oh my gosh... Anybody else as overwhelmed as I am?

BellaBlonde
08-25-2009, 12:43 PM
So, I've been slooowwwlllyyy changing my eating habits, getting a few more walks in here, a workout DVD there, and I think I'm finally ready to make that push into life-style.

And then I look at that number.

105 Pounds.:eek: How did I let that happen?? I mean, I was there, I know what happened. But I have to lose 105 pounds. And it will take time, time, time.

That just looks so scary to me, and completely overwhelming.:cry: Crawling under my covers and hiding for the next year sounds like a pretty gosh darn good plan. Did/does anybody else feel that way?:?: :dunno:

TJFitnessDiva
08-25-2009, 12:53 PM
I did at first but if it helps to not look at the big picture then don't :) Break that 105 into smaller goals that will seem easier to attain. Like 5 or 10lbs at a time. For me that made it easier!

Nightmare
08-25-2009, 01:03 PM
Hey BellaBlonde, I know and live the "overwhelming" feeling.

I'm 284 lbs. at 5'4", so ya' , I can relate.

It's a tough road to weight loss goals, but we just have to do it for our health.

The post before me that mentioned breaking down the goals, step by step by step is REALLY good advice.

Perhaps, go week by week. Okay, this week I would like to take off 5 lbs.
Then, (hopefully) the next week comes round and you're down that 5 lbs. so this week I would like to take yet another 5 lbs. off.

It really does help to take the small baby steps in your goal thinking.

Try it and see if it helps that "overwhelming" feeling.

Best of luck to ya',
KELLI

H8cake
08-25-2009, 01:08 PM
Yes I felt that way, and for many years I hid from the problem and it just got worse. I finally decided that no matter how long it took I was going to get the weight off. Once I took the time factor out of it and focused on ten pounds at a time I was successful. When a year goes by and you look back it doesn't seem nearly as long. It amazes me now that the weight came off as quickly as it did. One thing that really helped me was that the weight comes off pretty quick until you get closer to goal. I also focused on how much better I felt after just losing 10 pounds. I didn't exercise before I started losing so I saw big improvements in that area too. You have to let go of that desire to have the weight miraculously gone overnight. It takes patience and determination, but you will get there if you decide you want to. Think how happy you will be in a year if you commit to losing and accomplish your goal. You can do it!

caryesings
08-25-2009, 01:11 PM
yep, and whenever I get that feeling I tell myself a year from now I can either be sitting there thinking about how much I accomplished in that year or wishing I had started a year earlier. Because that number isn't going to get any better on its own.

Elladorine
08-25-2009, 01:16 PM
I totally relate here!

Be glad that you've already tackled the biggest hurdle: deciding to do something about it. You'll really be thanking yourself in the future. :)

A while back I snapped into the realization that my weight had gone way outta control, and I remember how intimidating it was to make myself do something about it. In my case I knew I had over 200 pounds to lose! :o

But yes, as it has already been mentioned here, break that big number down into smaller goals. Find ways to reward yourself as you go. And yes, it will take time, but remember that the excess you've gained didn't exactly happen overnight. It's helped me to be in the mind-set that everything I'm doing is to feel healthier and happier, and that losing the weight and having a nicer figure is just a bonus. ;)

Anyway, always remember that the commitment you make to yourself will be well worth it! We all deserve to be healthy and happy. :hug:

beerab
08-25-2009, 01:18 PM
I know how you feel, I have almost 100 lbs to lose (more if I change my goals), it seems like a lot but with time it'll be less. It took years to gain that much it's going to take years (possibly) to take it all off.

Small changes are awesome cuz they are the ones that last! You can do it :)

ThickAZChick
08-25-2009, 01:22 PM
Yes it is and can be overwhelming. I have made myself see the "big picture" in smaller bites...set small goals. Don't think of 105...think of 10lbs or 2 weeks from now. The changes you are making are for a lifetime. You are doing the right thing...making changes slowly. It is proven that changes made like this in moderation are more likely to stick than a drastic change.

I have found so many awesome recipes here as well as tips and words of encouragement. Good luck and keep posting!

BellaBlonde
08-25-2009, 01:29 PM
Gosh, you guys are amazing! And it's so inspiring to hear from people who have been there before me. Thank you!

I'm just SO used to that instant gratification feeling. Eat a cheeseburger, feel better. Then feel even worse than before. But it's still instant! It's so early in my weight loss goals that it just seems like this impossible mountain to climb.

I'm going to try really, really hard to listen to your advice about breaking it up into mini-goals.

So, without further ado, my first mini-goal... I want to be 230 by September 29th. Doable? Maybe? I hope so! I'm gonna work towards it! 12 pounds, here I go!

paris81
08-25-2009, 01:36 PM
Yeah, I have that much to lose too, and it's crazy overwhelming. Some day it feels like it will never happen. You're totally right about the instant gratification thing.

When my mind is rational though, I remember that I can start to lose weight now, and in a year I'll be very close to goal if not there, OR I can not do anything and probably gain weight and a year from now I'll be even fatter.

Still pretty terrifying though!

Nightmare
08-25-2009, 01:38 PM
You go girl!!!

Just don't beat yourself up if you mess up along the way. Just do the very best you can and try to stay focused on that goal.

YOU can do it. Have faith.

KELLI

SnowboundChick
08-25-2009, 01:45 PM
I've tried not to look at it that way because I know I'll get overwhelmed, all the other stuff is overwhelming enough. So I look at the number and then think, okay I can do this in little bits and concentrate on that and then the big number hasn't been so scary for me.

cincimom11
08-25-2009, 01:46 PM
It is totally overwhelming. I gained 85 pounds while I was pregnant, and I was a little overweight to begin with... UGH!

rockinrobin
08-25-2009, 02:26 PM
I also broke it down into mini goals. When one goal was achieved, I crossed it off and moved on to the next. Made a little game of it in fact. I also really enjoyed the time I spent losing. It was an adventure. I found out a lot about myself. It was exciting and I made the most of it.

Another thing, the time spent LOSING the weight, is very valuable. Think of that time as a learning experience. Time used learning new and healthy eating and fitness habits that will last you a lifetime. Healthy habits that will not only help you to get the weight off, but to keep the weight off. Use that time to find a plan that suits you, tweaking it along the way. It's time used to find what works for you and what doesn't. It's when you find coping skill and techniques to get you through the tough times. Time spent finding new recipes and foods to enjoy. Time learning about nutrition. Time very well spent indeed. Because I'm telling you, had I awoken one morning slim and trim, I wouldn't have a clue how to STAY that way. I would have turned around and put the weight right back on.

You'll get to your goal. In as long as it takes. And in the end it won't matter if it takes you a year, 18 months or longer. Just you keep at it and that goal is yours for the taking. :)

diyana
08-25-2009, 02:34 PM
I also have a lot of weight to lose and have frequently felt overwhelmed. But I know that hiding under the covers/ignoring the situation is why I've been living (if you can call it that) at this weight for so long. I try and not think about it as one big huge number. I understand up front that it will take at least a year to get to goal. And that's okay. I look at short term goals...like what can I lose by my birthday (in early September), what can I lose by Christmas, what can I realistically do (exercise, eating, etc.) to help me get there. I make lots of NSV goals. I know that if I stick to this, I will lose the weight in a year or so...and if I come up with excuses or just ignore the fact that I need to lose weight...I never will get to my goal weight.

I totally agree with RockinRobin...time frame is not important. If I don't lose all my excess weight in a year, that's okay...at least I know I'll be a lot closer to goal than I am today. And I also realize that the changes I'm making aren't just until I get to goal. These changes have to become habits I maintain for the rest of my life. :)

rockinrobin
08-25-2009, 02:39 PM
Another great thing. I was feeling soooo much better both physically and mentally WELL before I was anywhere near goal. The benefits and the rewards start surfacing fairly early on in the game. Keep that in mind.

There is much joy to be found all along the journey, at each and every stage.

shasha17a
08-25-2009, 02:46 PM
Yea it does get overwhelming sometimes. What I do is set my goal to lose 10% of my body weight at a time.

JasonsLea
08-25-2009, 02:50 PM
Don't look at the overall goal, sweetie. I'm 5'4, 267. I have 117 to lose. But I never think of that. I just focus on the first ten lbs. Once they are gone, it'll be the second ten lbs, and so forth. Just break it down like that and you'll be fine. :hug:

shcirerf
08-25-2009, 03:01 PM
One of our WW ladies has a shirt that says "I lost 1 pound, 100 times.":D

Makes it seem a lot easier.

I've broken it into decades, 190 then 180 then 170 etc. For each decade I get a new shirt or jeans or cute undies or something. I don't even worry about the rest.

BellaBlonde
08-25-2009, 03:14 PM
You all have such great insights!

Paris - I was JUST thinking that! Like, if I had started this 6 months ago, 3 months ago, two weeks ago, I'd be past the point I'm at now. On the flip side, I don't want to be where I am now in two weeks, 3 months, or 6 months.

That's a really great way to keep yourself motivated, Diyana. I like that, using milestones like that. I always think about who I am now and who I want to be...and if that person shows through in family photos, memories. Do I want to be fat, unhappy and unhealthy in my memories and in my photos? Or am I going to do something about it?

I like that, Shcirerf, about losing 1 pound 100 more times. You're right, it makes it seem so... doable!

Rockinrobin, you're so right! I've felt in such a haze and so blah since I've gained the weight. It's definitely something I am taking pride in, that I have the will power and that I can accomplish a goal. I just feel better after having had worked out and stuck so far to a portion-controlled diet. That's funny what you said about waking up slim... My boyfriend jokes when there's a ripped model or something, that if he had a body like that guy... he'd be eating something! It really is more than just 30 minutes of exercise a couple times a week. It's an entire life change to be healthy.

I'm kind of proud of myself today. I haven't slipped! In the past, I've decided, "Today's the day!" and uh... that day was not "the" day. ha. But I'm confident, I'm ready, I'm doing this, and so far, so good!

rockinrobin
08-25-2009, 03:27 PM
You all have such great insights!

Paris - I was JUST thinking that! Like, if I had started this 6 months ago, 3 months ago, two weeks ago, I'd be past the point I'm at now. On the flip side, I don't want to be where I am now in two weeks, 3 months, or 6 months.

That's a really great way to keep yourself motivated, Diyana. I like that, using milestones like that. I always think about who I am now and who I want to be...and if that person shows through in family photos, memories. Do I want to be fat, unhappy and unhealthy in my memories and in my photos? Or am I going to do something about it?

I like that, Shcirerf, about losing 1 pound 100 more times. You're right, it makes it seem so... doable!

Rockinrobin, you're so right! I've felt in such a haze and so blah since I've gained the weight. It's definitely something I am taking pride in, that I have the will power and that I can accomplish a goal. I just feel better after having had worked out and stuck so far to a portion-controlled diet. That's funny what you said about waking up slim... My boyfriend jokes when there's a ripped model or something, that if he had a body like that guy... he'd be eating something! It really is more than just 30 minutes of exercise a couple times a week. It's an entire life change to be healthy.

I'm kind of proud of myself today. I haven't slipped! In the past, I've decided, "Today's the day!" and uh... that day was not "the" day. ha. But I'm confident, I'm ready, I'm doing this, and so far, so good!

You're doing great! Ones attitude is sooo important. Each and every day you stay on plan is one day closer to that goal of yours. Each and every one of them. Every single day you have the choice to make the best of that day.

And remember, you don't have to be overweight if you don't want to be. It's your choice. It's your decision. It's within your hands. You hold the key. Totally up to you.

I look forward to hearing of your progress!

traci in training
08-25-2009, 03:32 PM
I tell my kids all the time not to wish their life away - you know - wish I was a senior, wish it was winter, wish it was Christmas. Live the time as you go. Don't wish it away. Same with weight loss. Don't wish the time away. I'm with Robin - learn as you go, enjoy the process. Discovering those bones one at a time is a pleasure not to be wished away. Catching yourself full of energy because you're not hauling around that 20 pounds extra is a wonderful feeling. Don't wish it away.

time2lose
08-25-2009, 03:52 PM
H8Cake originally posted: Yes I felt that way, and for many years I hid from the problem and it just got worse. I finally decided that no matter how long it took I was going to get the weight off. Once I took the time factor out of it and focused on ten pounds at a time I was successful. When a year goes by and you look back it doesn't seem nearly as long. It amazes me now that the weight came off as quickly as it did. One thing that really helped me was that the weight comes off pretty quick until you get closer to goal. I also focused on how much better I felt after just losing 10 pounds. I didn't exercise before I started losing so I saw big improvements in that area too. You have to let go of that desire to have the weight miraculously gone overnight. It takes patience and determination, but you will get there if you decide you want to. Think how happy you will be in a year if you commit to losing and accomplish your goal. You can do it!

Yes, exactly! I could have written this! Just start, put blinders on and take it one day at a time.

Aclai4067
08-25-2009, 03:59 PM
It can be very intimidating to think about how long it will take to reach goal weight. But as I've seen on here many times before: the time is going to pass no matter what, so you might as well spend it losing weight.

And I totally agree with those who say use mini goals. Some people have said they don't like them because they slack off when they feel like they don't have to lose so much. But for me mini goals are essential! I actually have broken down into Sub Goals and Mini Goals (I have 4 sub goals that will add up to my ultimate goal, and as many mini goals as I need to make it through my sub goals [sub goal size= 30-40lbs, mini goal size= 5-15 pounds])

Delphi
08-25-2009, 05:03 PM
Another great thing. I was feeling soooo much better both physically and mentally WELL before I was anywhere near goal. The benefits and the rewards start surfacing fairly early on in the game. Keep that in mind.

There is much joy to be found all along the journey, at each and every stage.

This is so true!

emileigh
08-25-2009, 05:13 PM
I love the fact that there are real people here who have lost as much as 100 pounds and more. There are some great before and after photos to show how amazing they look. They are my inspiration. I know they can inspire you too.

david
08-25-2009, 05:25 PM
the other thing about that first 10%...when you lose that, you will start to notice a change..for me thats real encouraging..it makes me feel like im not doing this for nothing and gets me excited for the future....we all know you can do it and it really helps to have someone to talk to when its not going so well...it keeps me from throwing in the towel

bcort
08-25-2009, 05:51 PM
105 Pounds.:eek: How did I let that happen?? I mean, I was there, I know what happened. But I have to lose 105 pounds. And it will take time, time, time.

That just looks so scary to me, and completely overwhelming.:cry: Crawling under my covers and hiding for the next year sounds like a pretty gosh darn good plan. Did/does anybody else feel that way?:?: :dunno:

Hi Bella, I feel exactly like you do. Hiding under the covers doesn't work - I've been trying that for a few years myself :-) Since joining 3FC last month, I've been slowly getting into a good routine, & the accountability alone has helped me make the start of losing about 10 lbs. I'm still terrified, & I'm not setting any timed goals, but I have set a couple 10 lb goals. Once I get started on this path, it will get easier as time goes by. I've never faced a number like 105 head on (well, it's been staring at me, but, like I said, I've been hiding under the covers).

You can do it - We both can!

WhitePicketFences
08-25-2009, 08:20 PM
Traci in training, not to sound awkward, but that was really quite a lovely post. What a meaningful thing to tell your kids.

BellaBlonde, yes, I was overwhelmed. And I think being overwhelmed was why I didn't start losing weight earlier. It was just such a big thing to do. And it is, obviously, but strangely enough it's also not. It's not one big thing, it's a bunch of little things every day. Decisions that you make differently -- like what to eat for lunch. Day in and day out.

Last year I kind of numbed myself to feeling overwhelmed and that worked for me in that I just told myself there was no other way and that this was how it had to be. I only concentrated on staying below a maximum caloric intake, at first. That was my Plan. Eventually my plan expanded, increasingly and with actual enthusiasm, for other lifestyle changes including exercise and healthy eating (to say the least). That's why I feel that whatever you've got, go with it and more will come if you stick with it. You will surprise yourself. Even after I'd lost the first 15 lbs, I didn't know I'd end up happily limiting my trice daily diet cokes to 1 per week. Or walking 20 minutes out of my way tomorrow to meet someone downtown when I could drive or take the bus and it's not even part of my workout. Not that I didn't like to walk, but until recently I just felt too awkward in public. I am a really self-conscious person as it relates to weight.

It's weird, you know -- a year is a long time and yet in a way it passes quickly. It was Dark Days for me at the beginning, for the first 4 months really, though it's been increasingly exciting for me since this spring. I don't know how it will be for you or how long it'll take you to lose 105 lbs, but I hope you do it. It is so, so worth it.

starfishkitty
08-26-2009, 04:38 AM
So, without further ado, my first mini-goal... I want to be 230 by September 29th. Doable? Maybe? I hope so! I'm gonna work towards it! 12 pounds, here I go!

It's doable, for sure.... but then again, just about anything is! However, its usually a better idea to get comfortable in your own skin, learn to eat and LIVE properly, slowly, and the right way. If you just go on a crash diet and lose a ton of weight, you really haven't learned the proper way to take care of yourself, or your body, and for most people that just means that one day when its just too much for you to handle being on some crazy strict diet... you'll just gain it all back and then some.

I'd just recommend starting to eat healthier food, smaller portions, starting some light exercise, etc.... i.e. stuff you can do for the rest of your life and feel great! :)

And anyways.... I've been told losing more than 2lbs a week isn't really healthy (loose skin anyone??), even 1lb is better and healthier and more likely to STAY off.

And heck, that's not THAT hard to do, now is it? :) A pound a week? :)

Rosinante
08-26-2009, 06:56 AM
I'm losing 100+lbs for the 2nd time in 5 years. I actually found and find it easier to acknowledge just how long the journey's going to be, because I find it comforting to know that I'm in a process. It also gets easier once you get into double figures of loss. It also gets easier once you can say, I've lost 10%, 25%, whatever. I am realizing that if I break it down and get too jubilant about attaining a particular target, it actually makes it harder, because I can be all hurrah - but then how much more I've got to go hits me like a wet fish, and it's so hard to keep on going and going and going.
Happy to accept that that's just me and weird though! :wink:

ubergirl
08-26-2009, 10:33 AM
Yes, yes! I relate to this too. But, at age 48 it saddens me that I let that attitude defeat me for so long....

I never wore plus size clothes until after my first child was born-- at that time, I figured I had about fifty pounds to lose and that number seemed impossible and insurmountable to me... I tried restrictive diets so severe that I started craving my baby's rice cereal...(I know. Yuck.)

After that I gave up. I decided I'd just stay the way I was...I was fit enough, I looked okay in my stylish plus size clothes. I developed a "fat lady" persona...

Only problem. I didn't stay the way I was. I kept on gaining... a little at a time... until I weighed almost 300 pounds and all of a sudden I was having trouble standing up when settled back in my sofa.

When I FINALLY decided to tackle the problem for real, I had over a hundred pounds to lose...

But that was more than two months ago, and now, for the first time in a long time, I have less than 100 to lose.

No way from here but forward.

You can absolutely do it and there is no time like the present.

time2lose
08-26-2009, 12:59 PM
ubergirl,

What a wonderful post!

BellaBlonde
08-27-2009, 01:32 AM
Hearing stories like these is so inspiring. I've made lots of mistakes and had disordered ways of thinking, and just like I'd love it if people could learn from my "mistakes" and the paths I took in my life, I'm grateful to be learning from others' too. :)

Another day down. Maybe this isn't *so* hard! Just have to take it one day at a time.

cfmama
08-27-2009, 02:02 AM
I had to lose 227 pounds. 227 POUNDS!!!!!! And you know how I tackled them? One pound at a time...

You can do it to.

rockinrobin
08-27-2009, 07:02 AM
When I was in the middle of the losing portion of my journey, probably way earlier then the middle in fact, I was so in to it, so thoroughly pumped, excited, transformed, that I'm telling you I felt as if I could have lost any amount of weight. 165? Surely. No problem. 265? Yup. Felt like I could have done that too. You get into it. Your life changes waaaay before you hit goal. I felt invincible, as if there was no stopping me. And there wasn't. In fact, I'm still going... This new lifestyle becomes your new way of life. Granted my journey is no longer a losing one (mostly) - it's a maintaining one. And really there isn't much of a difference. It's basically the same exact journey. When you sign up to lose weight - and keep it off - it's forever.

The journey never ends. Hopefully. :)

YWeight
08-27-2009, 12:59 PM
Bella...You are not alone. I've been vacationing in the State of Denial for so long, that getting back to the work of losing weight is overwhelming. But last night, in the book I was reading, a line the writer used made me think...""If I'd killed him when I met him . . . I'd be out of jail by now". After I cleaned up the diet coke that spewed from my nose, I thought - "If I'd have stuck to my plan when I made it....I'd be more healthy and at goal by now."

But seriously, 4 years ago today my dad died of a heart attack. Next week, because of some chest pains/discomfort, I am scheduled to have an echo cardio stress test. Do I need anymore brick walls to fall on my head? Can I afford to not get this weight off?

Don't get to this point. Take care of yourself. The calendar pages are going to turn no matter what....circle the date, and one year from now plan on making your "I'VE REACHED GOAL" post. We will all be here giving you virtual high fives.

time2lose
08-27-2009, 01:17 PM
Don't get to this point. Take care of yourself. The calendar pages are going to turn no matter what....circle the date, and one year from now plan on making your "I'VE REACHED GOAL" post. We will all be here giving you virtual high fives.

It may take longer than a year. Some of us are a little slower but that is OK too. Do circle the date and one year from now you will see how much healthier you are..... even if you are not at goal yet. We will still give you virtual high fives! :)

SunshineCA
08-27-2009, 04:02 PM
Make four 25 pound goals and that last 5 will just fall off. Good luck to ya! ;)

traci in training
08-27-2009, 04:46 PM
Whitepicketfences - thanks. I learned it from my dad. We never went on a vaction TO anywhere, we went in a direction. Life (and vacation) should be about the journey. Why travel two days somewhere and two days back to spend three days "having fun" while you're there? Shouldn't the whole week be an adventure? Life's the same.

fjcinzion
08-27-2009, 07:21 PM
I can sympathize with your thoughts. I know that I feel overwhelmed when I think about how much weight I have to lose. I'm going to make short term goals and focus on just one day at a time. I created a list of changes to work on that will help me to lose weight and keep it off. I'm glad that I got introduced to this forum as I know that it will be a big part of my journey to health and weightloss.

rockinrobin
08-27-2009, 07:27 PM
I can sympathize with your thoughts. I know that I feel overwhelmed when I think about how much weight I have to lose. I'm going to make short term goals and focus on just one day at a time. I created a list of changes to work on that will help me to lose weight and keep it off. I'm glad that I got introduced to this forum as I know that it will be a big part of my journey to health and weightloss.

That's it. Just focus on those CHANGES. Work on creating new patterns, behaviors and habits - and the weight loss will follow. Don't worry about time frames - concentrate on those changes.

KateRN
08-28-2009, 02:26 AM
I look at it 1lbs at a time. so, today, it said 226.8, so i tell myself - ok - by monday - 225.8. and just think about 1lbs. I can do one pound. I "cant" do 95lbs. Once you get your one pound goal (and it comes FAIRLY quickly if you look at 1lbs) you can go "well, that wasnt so bad! now - 224!" :)

Symmetry
08-28-2009, 03:43 AM
I use both mini goals and challenges, and shiny (mostly pink, I won't lie) rewards! They effectively make me looking forward to do my best to lose the weight. :lol:

I set them every 10 and 5 kgs, aside from the challenges. :carrot:

LaurieDawn
08-28-2009, 11:52 AM
I just want to reinforce these comments. I, too, lost a lot of weight before putting it back on, and am now in my second serious journey in the past few years. But I LOVE the feeling of being on plan, of losing weight, of being in control. I would love to be farther along now than I am, but my life is way better than it was when I was "enjoying" the "freedom" of eating whatever I felt like, whenever I felt like it.

dragonwoman64
08-28-2009, 02:47 PM
these posts are great to read.

good luck, BellaBlond! when you see the numbers on your "lost" column adding up, and the "to go" decreasing, that will psych you. I was scared and intimidated and freaked when I started.

there's lots of things I've learned about myself and the process over the years, but if I had to pick one thing that I thought was maybe the most important, it's never surrender and keep working on it. There's a way past and over every challenge.

it's funny how so much of what I've gone through I see other people here at
3FC talk about, some feels unique to me, ha! hang in there, I know you can accomplish whatever you put your mind to do!