Old 08-25-2009, 09:14 AM   #1  

S/C/G: 215/199/180

Height: 5'8"

Default End to Overeating (book)

I know others have mentioned this book here so I picked it up last week and read it. It was a fascinating and definitely worth reading.

The book basically talks about the food industry, our modern way of eating and science behind how that leads to conditioned hypereating. It's basically a condition in which because of what's in the food (fat, salt and sugar) and accompanying stimulus, etc., we have lost the ability to control our apetite and know when we are full. So we continue to eat as if we are addicted to the food. He also offers some good suggestions on how to overcome this condition.

I can totally relate to this and in a way calorie counting works for me because I know I have lost my own ability to control appetite. So, I need an external tool to tell me to stop eating, and that's what calorie counting does. I know on average how much calories I need to be in good health and I know when to stop eating. Also, by counting calories, I end up avoiding the trigger foods that contain a lot of salt, fat and sugar and choose more nutritionally dense foods.

Anyone else read this book and what are your thoughts?
KDuffer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2009, 09:17 AM   #2  

I agree.The book was very interesting to me as well.I saw him speak on CNBC a couple of weeks ago.Very well written book with great information for those who struggle with overeating.
harrismm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2009, 09:42 AM   #3  
Midwesterner

S/C/G: 152/116/120

Height: 5' 3"

I am about halfway through the book and find it very enlightening. The food industry is like a whole new science I knew nothing about. I wish there was a way to educate everyone about this stuff, so people would at least understand where some of their difficulties are coming from. The best thing for me is to try to fix my meals at home as much as possible and stick to real food (not processed stuff). I like his ideas about nutritional labeling in restaurants and wish that was a nationwide mandate. I also think the food that's served our kids at school is full of this kind of super processed stuff. Great read!
murphmitch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2009, 12:23 PM   #4  

S/C/G: 215/199/180

Height: 5'8"

Good news is a lot of states and cities are requiring restuarants to include at least calorie information on the menu itself, which is helpful. I know it's not practical for all restuarants but for chain type of restuarants that has tight control over its food, it should be no problem.

In NYC, the bigger chains now have calorie information (although not macro nutrient information) and I can honestly say that seeing the numbers has surprised me many times and changed what I ordered. Intuition of what I think is moderate calorie doesn't work so well when it comes to fast food or chain restaurants since they seem so sneaky about putting more calories into even most benign looking foods.
KDuffer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2009, 02:20 PM   #5  
Go Blue Team!

S/C/G: 197.6/195.8/140

Height: 5'2"

I think having the restaurants label the calorie/fat content would be a lovely thing. So many people eat salads thinking they are lower calorie, when in fact, they might as well have had a burger & fries!

I haven't seen this book, but I'm a reader so I'll probably run out to B & N and get it this weekend.
Nella is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2009, 09:11 PM   #6  

I've actually been meaning to pick this book up from the library, sadly its always taken out and theirs a looonggg wait list...looks like I might have to buy it!
splendidsparrow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2009, 08:33 AM   #7  
Resident Pixie

S/C/G: Pant Size - 28/12/8

Height: 5'2"

Now I am intrigued and will have to get the book to read.

Last edited by Onederchic; 08-30-2009 at 08:34 AM. Reason: Because it is too early for me to know how to spell intrigue correctly.
Onederchic is offline   Reply With Quote