Weight Loss Support Give and get support here!

Old 08-24-2009, 09:07 PM   #1  

S/C/G: 175-180/ 120-125

Height: 5'7

Smile Thank you! (And how has 3fc inspired YOU?)

The level of motivation people have on this site never ceases to amaze me. All your dedication has caused me to be more devoted to my current journey. This evening, I had a few extra moments, and instead of raiding my kitchen (a trend I've picked up lately that I am determined to break! ), I walked out to the park, ran this exercise/nature trail course with little "fitness stations" to stop at, did every "fitness station" exceeding the "advanced" options, and ran home.

Sometimes, I feel complacent and apathetic, but whenever I hang around this site, these emotions don't last long... at all. There are so many inspirational members on this site -- not just those who have successfully lost weight and kept it off, but those who have been fearlessly working towards meeting their goals, whatever those happen to be. It's the extreme dedication all of you have to living a healthy lifestyle that keeps me motivated even when the world around me is doing everything to lure me in the opposite direction.

I'm in a really good/"I love the world! Let's spread love!" sort of mood right now and would like to thank all of you. I don't like mentioning names because A) there are too many and B) I might leave someone out --which would NOT be good! And if you'd like, share a situation about how 3FC has motivated YOU

Last edited by NightengaleShane; 08-24-2009 at 09:07 PM.
NightengaleShane is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2009, 09:21 PM   #2  
Maintaining :)

S/C/G: 215/117/120

Height: 5'4"

3FC has made a world of difference on my journey.
  • I learned that maintenance was a part of the journey - our maintainers have been so inspirational and helpful, I can't thank them enough
  • I learned that I needed to journal my calories - every bite, lick, and taste - and I found great resources for doing that right here at 3FC
  • I learned that balancing my calories might be a way to reduce my cravings - and those wise chickies were right
  • I learned that chickies older than me were doing awesome routines when it came to exercise. If they could do it, so could I. They challenged me without saying a word - just by posting their accomplishments!
  • I learned that this IS a journey, not a diet. Time is not important. Progress, not perfection is the goal.
  • I learned to treat myself the way I treat others. With the same love, respect, patience, and understanding that I give to my fellow chickies
  • I found some great new recipes
  • I challenged myself to stay on plan when I joined the BL competitions. After all, I didn't want to let down my team-mates.
  • I found dear friends on the 50+ and Christian Encouragers threads - those folk are AMAZING!
  • I count 3FC among my blessings every single day. You all are amazing, and it continues to be a joy to travel this journey with you!

Last edited by CountingDown; 08-24-2009 at 09:23 PM.
CountingDown is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2009, 09:31 PM   #3  

True that on the counting calories. We have to chase every dark, secret calorie that slips through the dark alleys of our lips When I first started losing weight, I had NO support in real life. As we all know, most people in real life just want the quick, easy way, whereas people on this site are committed to making lifestyle changes. Lifestyle change was honestly a concept I was completely unfamiliar with before coming here I just thought people went on diets, lost weight, and miraculously kept it off somehow.

I was REALLY ignorant about truly healthy habits before coming here. I harbored all the common misconceptions: "It's ok to skip breakfast. It is not healthy, but it's ok, because I'm not eating. FIVE meals a day? Uh, yeah, that's too much food. If I eat two, I'll be smaller. OATMEAL 2 GO squares are healthy because they have oatmeal, which cancels out the high fructose corn syrup and hydrogenated oils. If I do 500 crunches every day, I'll have dang nice abs. If I just diet, maybe I won't have to exercise. If I just exercise, maybe I won't have to diet. Maybe my fat will turn into muscle. And if anything says organic, all-natural, fat-free, sugar-free, or enriched, it must be good for me!"

I quickly learned how to know better.

I, too, learned that maintenance can be just as challenging as weight loss and is a perpetual journey. I never gave maintenance a second thought before, as we all know our media puts NO emphasis on what to do AFTER you've LOST the weight. This site has enlightened me.
Old 08-24-2009, 09:44 PM   #4  
a work in progress

S/C/G: see ticker

Height: 5'6 1/2

i havent been on this website long, but it has really helped me because when i went searching for weight loss support, it was because i was frustrated and close to giving up.

the members here are REAL women, i was honestly expecting a site full of thin girls trying to lose 5 vanity pounds.

the members are honest. no one is trying to sell anything, no one is pushing a particular diet. i feel like the opinions i get have no ulterior motives.

weirdly, its accountability. even though i could easily never log in again, and would be forgotten, i feel like "we're all in this together", lol. i see other people who are doing it and it makes me want it even more. when i see so many average, every day women hitting their goals, it gives me hope and makes me feel more dedicated.

and last but not least, "fat chicks" get it. they know that its exciting when your size 14 pants are loose, or when you can comfortably cross your legs, or whatever. they also know how much it sucks to not lose for a few weeks. i feel like we're all on the same page!

onederchic particularly has inspired me many times when i was about to go insane!
juliastl27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2009, 10:01 PM   #5  
Workin' It

Shane - about the Oatmeal to Go squares! I said exactly the same thing! I also won't mention names, because there are way too many to list, but since you started the thread I'll say that you were one of the big motivations for my original forays into strength training...

I learned that there are a lot of other people out there just like me, who count calories and make food logs and cut the grass for exercise just because they want to feel good about themselves.

I learned how terrible the things I was eating really were for me, not just the oatmeal squares.

I learned how this is a lifestyle change, not a short term goal. To be successful I had to change my entire outlook on life, not just count my calories for a few months and move on.

I learned how supportive people can be to one another!

I learned how maintaining my weight is harder on some days than losing the weight was...

And, I learned that I can absolutely do this.
Shannon in ATL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2009, 10:03 PM   #6  

Height: 5'11"

I was thinking about you guys just today at work. I probably would have given up by now if not for you all, because I would have gotten impatient or "bored" (my code-word for lazy and impatient) with losing weight.

A gal at work today noticed that I'd lost weight and asked me what I was doing. I told her "Calorie counting and exercising", and then I told her about you guys. I sent her the link to the site and she sounded motivated and interested, so it will be fun to see if she joins us!

Anyway, it was nice to know that I could fully and whole-heartedly recommend this site to her because I knew what she would find--supportive, knowledgeable chicks who will either hug you or kick you in the butt, or both! Never backbiting, gossiping, or tearing each other down; just support and information. Love you all!
Windchime is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2009, 10:03 PM   #7  
Resident Pixie

S/C/G: Pant Size - 28/12/8

Height: 5'2"

I don't even know where to begin really.

When I joined here, I had lost a good amount of weight but the wrong way. I was eating way too few calories, I barely exercised and when I did I went overboard. I was reading so many different ideas on diets and losing weight on the net that I was so confused. Then I stumbled upon this site. The best day of my life.

I have learned that I don't have to be perfect every day.
I have learned that planning is a key to success.
I have learned that I have to be willing to be committed to my plan.
I have learned that I am not alone in this weight loss struggle.
I have learned that I need to count and measure all my foods and drinks.
I have learned that when I am at my lowest and really need encouragment, I have so many wonderful people here that are willing to give me that and more.
I have learned that my goals are attainable.
I have learned that I do deserve to be healthy.
I have learned that the journey doesn't end at goal weight.

Thank you 3FC and thank you Julia for the mention, that means a lot to me
Onederchic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2009, 10:15 PM   #8  

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shannon in ATL View Post
Shane - about the Oatmeal to Go squares! I said exactly the same thing! I also won't mention names, because there are way too many to list, but since you started the thread I'll say that you were one of the big motivations for my original forays into strength training...
AWW, really?!?! I am so flattered! Thank you for that! Now, see, if we were sitting here in real life, I'd say, "On the count of three, let's bust out the gun show!" to which we would throw 'em up and flex 'em good!
Old 08-24-2009, 11:58 PM   #9  
a work in progress

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shannon in ATL View Post
I learned how supportive people can be to one another!
YES, this too. in our society being overweight has become something to be "embarrassed" about. **** you get more sympathy and support for going to rehab for crack than you do for trying to lose weight. the women here are just so understanding, we're all going through the same thing. they're also so HONEST. i love that i can post my weight and not be ashamed. i love that when im whining about plateaus no one says "GOD its not that hard, just stop eating!" coming on here and seeing so many women of all ages, backgrounds, races, etc. bonded together by one thing and really supporting each other, is TOTALLY inspiring.
Old 08-25-2009, 12:21 AM   #10  

YES, Julia, SO TRUE! I hate when people say stuff like, "Just stop eating!" or "Just don't eat so much!" especially if you are NOT eating "a lot" by anyone's standards. I'm thinking, "OK, YOU stop eating and see how you feel! YOU decide to drastically reduce your portions. Come on. Do it." Everyone enjoys food... I don't think many people would be happy to oblige.

It's also crazy how people recognize things like anorexia and bulemia as legitimate problems and offer sympathy, but if someone is morbidly obese, society's reaction is, "yeah, well, stop being such a fat@$$." Some people blame our society for making eating disorders common... yet they tend to just blame the obese people (as a whole) for THAT problem. I hate how some people just toss all compassion out the window when it comes to those who struggle with weight.

(FYI: I've seen both ends. I've had eating disorders -- anorexia, then "not otherwise specified" which is a fancy way of saying anorexia without being clinically underweight -- AND I've been overweight. I've seen the way people have treated me at each end of the spectrum and base that statement on both my personal experiences and what I have observed.)

BUT I LOVE how on THIS site, compassion is offered everywhere!

Last edited by NightengaleShane; 08-25-2009 at 12:23 AM.
Old 08-25-2009, 12:32 AM   #11  
Escape from my fat suit

S/C/G: 290/210/130

Quote:
It's also crazy how people recognize things like anorexia and bulimia as legitimate problems and offer sympathy, but if someone is morbidly obese, society's reaction is, "yeah, well, stop being such a fat@$$."
I've been morbidly obese and bulimic. I didn't do it for sympathy: I did it because my bingeing was out of control.

I find it almost comical how anyone can any addiction, yet being overweight is so unaccepted in our society. Sure, you can engage in white collar crime, snort cocaine, or any other drug....but at least that person is NOT fat.

Quote:
It's also crazy how people recognize things like anorexia and bulimia as legitimate problems and offer sympathy, but if someone is morbidly obese, society's reaction is, "yeah, well, stop being such a fat@$$."
I've been morbidly obese and bulimic. I didn't do it for sympathy: I did it because my bingeing was out of control.

I find it almost comical how anyone can any addiction, yet being overweight is so unaccepted in our society. Sure, you can engage in white collar crime, snort cocaine, or any other drug....but at least that person is NOT fat.

This place is the best support place hands down. There are too many things to mention. Thanks to all that contribute.

Last edited by better health3; 08-25-2009 at 12:36 AM.
better health3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2009, 12:50 AM   #12  
Ruth

S/C/G: 98.0/95.5/69.0

Height: 173cm

What a great thread, Shane! And now, where do I start?

A lot of what I'm about to say has already been mentioned, but what the heck, I'll say it again.

I love the support in this place. I love that a slacker like me can be missing for ages, but there's no derision or criticism when I come back. No "what the heck have you been doing?" Just life as usual.

I love the diversity here, and the fact that everyone has their own way of doing things. And unless it's desperately unhealthy, they are supported. The MRC chicks talk to the calorie counting chicks talk to the WW chicks talk to the chicks who have had surgery, and everyone respects others points of view. Mostly, but those who don't get howled down pretty quickly!

I love the abundance of knowledge. No matter what the question, someone knows the answer. Or has tried something. Everything has been done before, and everyone is happy to share their experiences with others.

I love that people don't get frustrated. There are some threads that have been reincarnated infinitely, but the same people come back each time and patiently explain what they have repeated many, many times before.

I love the acceptance that there is no such thing as a short-term fix, and we'll all be here forever! Or at least watching what we eat in some way, shape or form. I love that the Maintainers stick around and provide so much support and encouragement to the rest of us. Gives me hope that I will join their ranks one day.

I've never lost 25lb before in my life. Never. Not with any of the diets, plans and support networks that I've tried, and like most people here, I've tried a lot! This is the only thing that has ever worked for me.

3FC rocks.

*end infomercial. Sorry!*
Primm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2009, 01:01 AM   #13  
a work in progress

Quote:
Originally Posted by NightengaleShane View Post
YES, Julia, SO TRUE! I hate when people say stuff like, "Just stop eating!" or "Just don't eat so much!" especially if you are NOT eating "a lot" by anyone's standards. I'm thinking, "OK, YOU stop eating and see how you feel! YOU decide to drastically reduce your portions. Come on. Do it." Everyone enjoys food... I don't think many people would be happy to oblige.

It's also crazy how people recognize things like anorexia and bulemia as legitimate problems and offer sympathy, but if someone is morbidly obese, society's reaction is, "yeah, well, stop being such a fat@$$." Some people blame our society for making eating disorders common... yet they tend to just blame the obese people (as a whole) for THAT problem. I hate how some people just toss all compassion out the window when it comes to those who struggle with weight.

(FYI: I've seen both ends. I've had eating disorders -- anorexia, then "not otherwise specified" which is a fancy way of saying anorexia without being clinically underweight -- AND I've been overweight. I've seen the way people have treated me at each end of the spectrum and base that statement on both my personal experiences and what I have observed.)

BUT I LOVE how on THIS site, compassion is offered everywhere!

UGH, i remember my mom (who has weighed 125 since she was like 17) talking to me about dieting and being like, "i dont get why people complain so much, you just have to STOP EATING so much". people who have never been overweight just dont understand that its not that simple.

you bring up an EXCELLENT point about other eating disorders. i was diagnosed with anorexia nervosa when i was 17. everyone was SO concerned and sympathetic. when you're over weight, you're all but laughed at (and sometimes you are laughed at!!). people seem to look at being overweight as "all your fault". whether thats true or not, what about alcoholism, drug addiction, or bulemia/anorexia... couldnt we just as easily say those things are "all your fault"? its a shame that some women are too embarrassed to exercise in front of others, or to go to a meeting and be weighed because they feel like they'll be ridiculed. theyre now calling obesity in our country an "epidemic". you'd think that with so many people affected, the society might realize that theres more to it than just, "stop being such a fat a**".

sorry! lol, RANT!
Old 08-25-2009, 06:41 AM   #14  
Michelle the Vegan

S/C/G: >207/under goal/150

Height: ~5'9" of Snark

I have always loved reading the maintenance forum and seeing REAL role models make it happen long-term. It has been sooo helpful, right from the beginning, to have people like Mel, Amanda, Robin, CD, and Glory (and I could keep going) to "model" my behaviors on. That fact that they were SO successful and still here sharing their wisdom and showing me (and everyone else) how it can be done *every day*... it is awesome.
Mrs Snark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2009, 08:52 AM   #15  

S/C/G: 197/135/?

Height: 5'7"

Quote:
Originally Posted by NightengaleShane View Post
"Just stop eating!" or "Just don't eat so much!" especially if you are NOT eating "a lot" by anyone's standards. I'm thinking, "OK, YOU stop eating and see how you feel! YOU decide to drastically reduce your portions. Come on. Do it."
I like that one.
JulieJ08 is offline   Reply With Quote