Old 08-24-2009, 10:09 AM   #1  
Green Tomatoes

Height: 5'9"

Default 40-somethings August Week 4 Chat

Yikes! I feel too new to start the week's thread, but if I'm going to make posting here part of my morning routine, I'll have to get used to it.

Marie: Yay for small sizes! and I hope the new jeans and bras fit.

CruiseCAT: I've done a bunch of reading in advance of our yet-to-be-started bath projects (did I mention I'm a librarian?) and I got the impression that if you just replace stuff, DIY is possible for reasonably handy people. The book I liked best was Bathrooms: Plan, Remodel, Build by Creative Homeowner Press. You might see what your library has on the topic.

newleaf: I'm so glad you had a wonderful camping weekend. It sounds great!

Hotsplashes: Oh, so you're getting the rain we got last week. We got splendid weather afterwards so I hope you get that, too!

ICUWishing: peach mimosas sound like the way to make canning fun! And the homemade ketchup sounds terrific. I'm sure you'll get back on track today and just think that you have all this wonderful, healthy food prepared for winter.

The family dinner went well and the scale was kind! Now I get to go back to my normal situation with much more control over my day.
gardenerjoy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2009, 02:05 PM   #2  

S/C/G: 206/see ticker/145

Height: 5'6"

Morning, ladies! I'm focused again this week and hope to be posting much more often as I push hard to get to the 160s - 3lbs away!

Marie - your sizing post cracked me up - the things we go through being women! Men have it so much easier with their oh-so-standard sizes!

Cruise - curious to see how you like the new camera!

ICU - wow have you been productive! What a good feeling to can your own produce!
dancerindenver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2009, 03:32 PM   #3  
Eat Less Move More

S/C/G: 186/164/125

Height: 5'3"

Joy - Thanks for the information and book suggestion. We would like to start the project at the end of November. We priced stuff out yesterday and when we came home and looked at all the tile work we got a little scared. At this point we are going to get a couple quotes and see if having someone else do the job is worth it.

Dancer - it is going to be a month or more before I get my camera. We just got Mack a new underwater camera for his upcoming dive trip to Mexico. I'll be sure to keep you posted.

ICU - I never did get around to planting a patio garden. I would LOVE to have fresh garlic. Your husband's sauce sounds yummy.
CruiseCAT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2009, 04:34 PM   #4  

S/C/G: 187/185/140

Height: 5'9

Afternoon Joy! It is a beautiful day here! Going to go spend some time in my garden before the sun goes down! Hot and wet hits again tomorrow!

Dancer in Denver, You can do it!! Make it a Labor Day goal!! Good Luck!!

Cruisecat, I'm hoping Santa will bring me a Canon REbel for xmas. I love my current Cannon.. but it's not an SLR... I REALLLLLLLLLLLLLyyyyyyy want an SLR... Ohhh and underwater pics!! I WANT TO SEE!!

Eating today has been amazing and I have gotten so much "exercise" cleaning my house! Tomorrow will be the upstairs cleaning... at least it's a smaller floor!lol
Hotsplashes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2009, 06:35 PM   #5  
Ready to hit the beach!

Height: 5' 8"

Good evening friends!

Why is it that the weeks drag on but the weekends fly by? Looks like everyone has been busy with projects. We had our main bath redone this spring and are starting our master bath this week. We have also been spending a lot of time at Lowes! My hubby is not handy when it comes to home improvement (He's great at landscaping and we have the best lawn in our neighborhood!). We hired the same guy that did our other bath to do this one. He'll gut the entire bath and rebuild the shower. Luckily we have 2 other baths we can use!

Took my DD to see Mary Poppins this weekend. It's a wonderful show! We had great seats. The scenery was awesome. I love musicals!

Cruise, your pictures are beautiful. Sounds like a wonderful trip.

Dancer, 3 pounds! You CAN do it! You are soooo close!

Hotsplashes, We're supposed to get hot weather here tomorrow. Today was beautiful, mid 80's with low humidity.

Gardener, congrats on starting the new thread! Glad to hear you did well at the family dinner. Keep up the good work!

ICU, you DH's ketchup sounds terrific! Is it his own recipe?

Newleaf, sounds like you had fun camping!
Onmyway is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2009, 06:49 PM   #6  
Lifelong Journey Member

Height: 5' 6"

Cruise, sounds like you found a good deal on the Canon. Extra lens make it so much more fun. As is doggie training – ok kidding on that – as training my mule-head doggie hasn’t been fun but the rewards have been great. I hope Tucker mends. Blizzard was given a five year old prognosis at 10 months and she’s now 8.5 yo. I cannot imagine the difficulty losing Tucker will be. Much too young!

Hotsplashes, don’t overdo the pineapple buns. Usually bus and tasty mean calories. LOL And the bra sizing should be numbers not an art. No wonder they say 80% of women aren’t wearing the right size. If they keep us all uncomfortable, they have built-in return business.

ICU, the ketchup sounds fun. And the peach mimosas sound perfect for a day of canning. Did you make them??? I can usually see by the end of the summer some definition in my upper arms (of course after the bat wings are gathered and pulled out of the way) from swimming but I truly am a upper body weakling.

Joy, you did a fine job starting the new thread. Pretty simple, isn’t it??? I, too, like to have my normal routine so that I have no problem staying on track. Just know that the off normal gets easier to handle with practice and that it’s possible to make healthy choices nearly everywhere, even airports.

Dancer, those 3 pounds are toast – I know you’ll get to the 160s.

OMW, I'm jealous of the landscaping skill of your DH. Mine is the handyman but our outside is hodgepodge. Mostly because neither of us are interested in dedicating time to it. Plus Bambi eats everything in the desert - whether or not the plants come with a "Bambi Hates Eating This Plant" tag.

I killed (re-locked) my iPhone last night with an update. So I asked DS how to unlock it again (no ATT in my neck of the woods and I love the iphone so I'm a jailbreaker). DS has always done it in the past. He guided me to the online tutorial and my phone is back along with my Lose It! application. Good thing I'd logged yesterday's food early so I knew what I was having and the calorie total. I'm really lucky that it made a backup before the update and I have all my Lose It! (and contacts) data. I really hope the when the ATT and Apple contract ends this year, they don't renew it. iPhone should be available to everyone. I'm not fond of unlocking one so I can use it. But alas, I do because I love the phone. Anyway, I succeeded and it was really pretty easy. I'm not sure how someone that's obsessive about logging every bite into her application could have survived a day without it. I'd probably have binged out of control. Just kidding but I was happy to have it back. Of course, I could have used the ipod touch since it's installed there. I just always have the phone with me.

Marie

Last edited by Marie; 08-24-2009 at 06:52 PM.
Marie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2009, 09:26 PM   #7  
Heidi

S/C/G: 204.5/149/153

Height: 5'7"

Hi, everyone.

Hotsplashes - we went camping at Ohiopyle. It's a state park in southwestern Pennsylvania, down near where Falling Water is. And congrats on your carrot.

CruiseCAT - I loved the photos. Especially the one of the bear nonchalantly crossing the street behind the guy walking his dog! What was the itinerary of stops for your trip?

ICUwishing - I can't believe all the canning you did! I guess you have to find a way to preserve the garden's bounty... I can't imagine doing that...

Marie - That's strange about the upper body strength; I would have thought swimming like you do would give you that... weird.

GardenerJoy - Glad to see you jumping right in!

DancerInDenver - Those 3 lbs will melt off you, I'm sure!

So my weight is up from camping. No surprise there. But I do have to say, it was a lot of fun just *not* thinking about food for 3 days. Especially because I was confident in the fact that it would be limited to those 3 days, and then back on track for me. Today was super busy but I still managed to do my upper body weights and I ate well. I'm confident it's a start to shedding those camping pounds. I am motivated to be back on the losing train. Woo hoo!
newleaf123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2009, 09:54 PM   #8  
kathi

S/C/G: 172/172/140

Way to go starting this week's thread gardenerjoy! I'm starting my week with a new "do". Chopped off all my hair, can't see it under my hat anyway : ) Got my gorgeous "new to me" kitchen table and hutch on Saturday, and said goodby to a close friend last night : ( Planning a trip to Raleigh to visit in the next couple of months to see her new place. After a low blood sugar crisis at work today, I had someone take me to the pharmacy to refill my strips so I can start testing again. Very lucky to have such great neighbors! Tomorrow is my friday, looking forward to my two days off : )
weightlosswanted is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2009, 05:10 AM   #9  
Woman On A Mission

S/C/G: 160/Ticker/125

Height: 5'4"

Found ya!!! When I looked at my subscribed threads and saw that no one had posted since I posted on the old thread yesterday morning, I thought....hhhmmmmmm...must be a new a thread....and you are!!!
Jacque9999 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2009, 07:29 AM   #10  
Ready to hit the beach!

Height: 5' 8"

Way to go Jacquee! It's only Tuesday!
Onmyway is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2009, 07:43 AM   #11  
Heidi

Woo hoo -- down 2.2 lbs today. I guess that camping weight wasn't permanent -- phew!
Old 08-25-2009, 07:59 AM   #12  
Woman On A Mission

S/C/G: 160/Ticker/125

Height: 5'4"

OnmywayAfter last week, I just couldn't wait to get back on track!!! Thanks!!!

NewleafGREAT JOB
Jacque9999 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2009, 08:11 AM   #13  
kathi

S/C/G: 172/172/140

way to go newleaf! glad you found us jacque : ) this week was a bit of an uphill battle for me, but today is my friday, yabba-dabba-doo!
weightlosswanted is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2009, 08:19 AM   #14  
Let's Get Going!!!

Hi guys,
Remember me OnMYWay? I thought I would stop back by to get some inspiration. I haven't been on for quite some time.

What is everyone doing to lose weight? I am sure the cheeseburger I ate and feel horrible about is not something you would approve of. Ugh!

OnMyWay, no more wine, it got to be so calorie expensive! ;-)
dmc2009 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2009, 08:39 AM   #15  
Heidi

Hi, DMC2009. I'm just watching what I eat (healthy choices, portion control), doing cardio (40 min. on the elliptical) and upper body weights (20 min). There is no set regiment on how often I exercise, but I try to do at least one or the other almost every day.

Welcome (back) and good luck!