Old 08-24-2009, 08:07 AM   #1  

S/C/G: 220/201/160

Height: 5' 7"

Default Time to reassess my MRC goals

I have been on this plateau for a very long time. I have only lost 4 pounds since the first of July. I rarely cheat, drink at least 100 oz. of water a day, and while I don't formally exercise, I do have a job that keeps me walking at a good clip four nights a week.

When I cheat I usually eat a couple more ounces of chicken or have two replacement bars for breakfast instead of one. I don't eat anything off menu.

Despite this, my scale has gone UP--to 179. My counselors and I think it could be related to my every increasing periods and hormonal changes. But whatever. Nothing is helping me lose weight or inches now.

Since I am paid up until November 2nd, I'm going to continue the supplements and diet until then. At least this way I won't gain weight and won't be wasting the money. After this if I haven't lost, I'll re-evaluate again.

It's a little frustrating because everyone I know who doesn't make their goal on MRC gives up and eats junk. And everyone I know who sticks to it makes goal. Not sure what is going on with me, but I'm going to persevere until Novemenber 2nd. After all, I know I'm eating healthier and have more energy so it makes sense to do the right thing for my body.

Anyway, my goal has now shifted from weight loss to hardwiring healthy habits. I'm a little saddened, but it's something I have to accept.

So... everyone else have a great Monday and let me live vicariously through your successes.

Good luck this week!
Dolly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2009, 08:40 AM   #2  
Lynn

S/C/G: 216/see ticker/145

Height: 5'5"

I'm so sorry that you're going through this difficult period. Is your upcoming hysterectormy surgery playing a part in this? I remember seeing that you were going to postpone it. Is it something that you need to have now? Could MRC wait until after that? I have no idea what you might/must be going through but all I can offer you is support or an ear/shoulder if you should need it. Good luck my friend!
noahsmama is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2009, 07:28 PM   #3  

Height: 5'9"

Yesterday when I went to WI I discussed with my counselor what were the tricks to losing weight quicker on the MRC...of course we all know to limit hard cheese, cut out the creamy HNS etc...but never have I heard to eat the "bean" starches and eliminate the bread and Melba, my counselor told me to try it...so I added 1/4 c of black beans to my salad this evening. I am not at a plateau, however I normally plateau every 10 pounds I lose and I down 9.5 in the past 2 weeks so I am preparing, just a thought if you haven't cut bread out and replaced with beans and oatmeal.
GWE140 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2009, 07:33 PM   #4  

S/C/G: 0/62/67

Height: 5'5"

What has the tanita printout been saying? Is everything exactly the same bf%, lean muscle mass, etc. Are your clothes still fitting the same? Ask them if you can take a medical leave of absence, have your surgery, get the hormone thing back in check and then finish off the program. I don't see why they wouldn't let you do that. Just an idea. Stay positive
E4FEwife is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2009, 08:27 PM   #5  

S/C/G: 250/ticker/150

Height: 5'6"

Quote:
Originally Posted by little edie View Post
I have been on this plateau for a very long time. I have only lost 4 pounds since the first of July. I rarely cheat, drink at least 100 oz. of water a day, and while I don't formally exercise, I do have a job that keeps me walking at a good clip four nights a week.

When I cheat I usually eat a couple more ounces of chicken or have two replacement bars for breakfast instead of one. I don't eat anything off menu.

Despite this, my scale has gone UP--to 179. My counselors and I think it could be related to my every increasing periods and hormonal changes. But whatever. Nothing is helping me lose weight or inches now.

Since I am paid up until November 2nd, I'm going to continue the supplements and diet until then. At least this way I won't gain weight and won't be wasting the money. After this if I haven't lost, I'll re-evaluate again.

It's a little frustrating because everyone I know who doesn't make their goal on MRC gives up and eats junk. And everyone I know who sticks to it makes goal. Not sure what is going on with me, but I'm going to persevere until Novemenber 2nd. After all, I know I'm eating healthier and have more energy so it makes sense to do the right thing for my body.

Anyway, my goal has now shifted from weight loss to hardwiring healthy habits. I'm a little saddened, but it's something I have to accept.

So... everyone else have a great Monday and let me live vicariously through your successes.

Good luck this week!

Little Edie,
This is a real challenge for you and certainly frustrating but the plan has worked for you before and it will again... just stick with it. My suggestion, add 10-15 minutes of toning exercise to your day, make sure you're getting in 3-4 HNS, stay on plan as much as possible, avoid using any meal replacement bars if at all possible (they're a real culprit at times) and keep up the great work. It will budge, it will budge, it will budge!!!! Get your Tanita and measurments every few weeks and look for progress there. Hang in there and keep postin here :0)
Karen1234 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2009, 09:46 PM   #6  

S/C/G: 256/217.5/150

Height: 5' 2"

Little Edie...I remember reading that plateaus are good for you, so let's hope that is what you are going through right now. Let your body catch up to what is happening and you will then start to lose again. In the meantime, since I have so much makeup, I will come over and give you a make over to lift up your spirits.
Fifties Lady is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2009, 03:07 AM   #7  

You are all the most awesome internet friends a person could ask for.

I'm going to join the local gym next payday and get the family plan so I can take my kids. I think regular exercise is the part I'm missing.

And I definitely think my hormones a part of this because I am very tired lately. However, I just don't want to live on 60% of my pay minus overtime while on medical leave.

At least I am not GAINING. And I'm very good at avoiding our weekly pitch-ins at work and the candy and cookies brought in by the sadists I work with.

On the plus side, my hair which is naturally thin and week has never looked better and my IBS is very controllable. I have still lost A LOT of weight and feel better.

And of course the most important benefit is meeting all of you.

Thank you again. I'm still plugging away and will not waver despite what the scale says.

I'm going to keep calm and keep going.
Old 08-26-2009, 06:52 AM   #8  

S/C/G: 279.5/195.5/166

Height: 5' 11"

Quote:
You are all the most awesome internet friends a person could ask for.

I'm going to join the local gym next payday and get the family plan so I can take my kids. I think regular exercise is the part I'm missing.

And I definitely think my hormones a part of this because I am very tired lately. However, I just don't want to live on 60% of my pay minus overtime while on medical leave.

At least I am not GAINING. And I'm very good at avoiding our weekly pitch-ins at work and the candy and cookies brought in by the sadists I work with.

On the plus side, my hair which is naturally thin and week has never looked better and my IBS is very controllable. I have still lost A LOT of weight and feel better.

And of course the most important benefit is meeting all of you.

Thank you again. I'm still plugging away and will not waver despite what the scale says.

I'm going to keep calm and keep going.
little edie
How are your thyroid levels?
msim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2009, 09:52 AM   #9  
jeanette

S/C/G: 170/139/140

Height: 5'8"

little edie,
I've had a few medical problems in the last 10-15 years (3 hip replacements, gall bladder removal, menopause, HRT then off HRT) The pain from the arthritis kept me from wanting to move but my wonderful doctor sent me to an aquatic therapist and I have been exercising in a public, indoor worm water therapy pool since 1997 now. When my gall bladder acted up, I gained weight without eating more or exercising less. Going through the ups and down of hormone replacement therapy - going on one type, switching to continuous, adding in testerostrone, going to a more natural hormone replacement and then going off all hormones - really put my body through the wringer. I have been trying to lose weight on my own through this whole time and could only lose 4 or 5 lbs before something would cause a gain - not eating more, or different, or exercising less - I'm so glad I found MRC because I have been able to lose the weight I have wanted to for 35 years.

I'm saying all this because I think your body is hanging on to its reserves because of the surgery you need. Women's bodies are programmed to hang on to our fat reserves because "there may be a famine and I might be pregnant and need that fat to sustain the fetus until the next available food comes". This is not a thinking process - this is an evolutionary process to protect the species. We have to trick our bodies into thinking there is plenty of food, so it is okay to lose. The suggestion to change what you are eating is a good one. This also goes for the exercise - exercise hard for a period of time, then ease off, let your body recover, rebuild, then exercise hard again. I've heard this works on a short time basis - short bursts of running or cardio with a period of lighter exercise - walking or stretching - then another burst of intense exercise. Also works with week or weeks of hard work followed by week or two of milder exercise.

Anyway, you have come a long way and I'm glad your attitude is still positive even if you are getting frustrated. Keep getting those fresh veggies and fruits and avoiding the processed things - your body will drop more fat when it is ready. Enjoy learning at the gym and having Quality Time with your kids! jeanette
reuselady is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2009, 12:21 PM   #10  
Teresa

S/C/G: 228/ticker/160

Height: 5'7 1/2"

Little Edie, sorry about your struggles. Your post early this morning just shows your determination and your great outlook. I wanted to say thanks to you and everyone else for their wisdom and support of everyone. Their posts were to help you, but I know they helped me at the same time. I'm sure it goes for everyone who reads them as well.

Have a great day everyone.
TeresaG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2009, 01:05 PM   #11  

S/C/G: 250/ticker/150

Height: 5'6"

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fifties Lady View Post
Little Edie...I remember reading that plateaus are good for you, so let's hope that is what you are going through right now. Let your body catch up to what is happening and you will then start to lose again. In the meantime, since I have so much makeup, I will come over and give you a make over to lift up your spirits.
Aww, FL, I think that is so sweet... :0)
Karen1234 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2009, 08:53 AM   #12  

My plateau seems to be a complete weight loss stop. I'm eating OP, drinking my water, and expending the same energy I always have.

I did not join the gym as I intended last Thursday because I had to pay an unexpected orthodontist bill that my insurance rejected. So maybe next payday I can do this. In the meantime, I've added 30 minutes on the treadmill three times a week.

My unofficial weight at home is 176 lbs after waking up and not eating or drinking. And my jeans are not hanging as loose on my as they used to. I have only lost 6 pounds since the 4th of July. That's six pounds in eight weeks.

There is a chance that my gyne problems are what is affecting this, but since I can't change them now, I am stuck with them.

I will still stay OP until November 2nd, but after that I'm not sure what I'm going to do. My current weight is what I weighed from 2002-2008. But before that I was around 145 lbs so I know I CAN be thinner.

I am very disappointed. It's not as though I'm only ten pounds from goal and can't lose--I am twenty six pounds from goal.

I will stay committed to this diet but in all truthfullness, I don't expect any more loss.

Does this seem like a plateau to anyone else or does it seem permanent?
Old 09-07-2009, 12:37 PM   #13  

S/C/G: 230/229/150

Height: 5'4

Quote:

My plateau seems to be a complete weight loss stop. I'm eating OP, drinking my water, and expending the same energy I always have.

I did not join the gym as I intended last Thursday because I had to pay an unexpected orthodontist bill that my insurance rejected. So maybe next payday I can do this. In the meantime, I've added 30 minutes on the treadmill three times a week.

My unofficial weight at home is 176 lbs after waking up and not eating or drinking. And my jeans are not hanging as loose on my as they used to. I have only lost 6 pounds since the 4th of July. That's six pounds in eight weeks.

There is a chance that my gyne problems are what is affecting this, but since I can't change them now, I am stuck with them.

I will still stay OP until November 2nd, but after that I'm not sure what I'm going to do. My current weight is what I weighed from 2002-2008. But before that I was around 145 lbs so I know I CAN be thinner.

I am very disappointed. It's not as though I'm only ten pounds from goal and can't lose--I am twenty six pounds from goal.

I will stay committed to this diet but in all truthfullness, I don't expect any more loss.

I know how dissappointed you feel I also hit a plateau that lasted a month. It seemed like nothing would budge it. And it also was at a weight I used to be for about 5 years. I think your body gets to a place it once was and gets comfortable for awhile and then you have to push through and the weightloss will come.
I cut out cheese a couple times a week and also only had a creamy HNS a week and that seemed to help. I also do Meta quick for a week and it seems like the week after that I lose about 3 lbs.
I really hope you can keep going you have come so far. So many have to be proud of you.

Hang in there I beleive in you.
storment7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2009, 09:15 PM   #14  

Height: 5'9"

Quote:

Little Edie - I too have been on a plateau for three weeks or so, losing only 1.5 pounds, while staying 100% on program and running...finally last week my counselor put me on the Meta Balance diet because they think my body is holding on to the weight because it is acting like it is in starvation mode...this is because I am burning far more calories... because of my running...I do feel so much better on this program and have lost unofficially 2 pounds in three days...I WI tomorrow. If you have a naturally fast metabolism this could happen even if you are not exercising...the body will hold on to the weight if it is experiencing starvation...only just a thought
GWE140 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2009, 07:43 AM   #15  

I'm going to sleep now and when I wake up I'm going to weigh in, even though I am up 4lbs, then I'm going to ride by bike and grill my chicken and asparagus.

Cleary the scale and I are no longer friends. In fact it sneers at me and I snarl back at it. But I will prevail and one day I'll have the last laugh.