Living Maintenance general maintenance topics and discussions

Old 08-23-2009, 03:00 AM   #1  

S/C/G: 165/136/134

Height: 5'3.5"

Default How do you deal with getting sick...

I've been sick for a few days now with a bad cough I caught from my daughter but no other symptoms. Also, I've been feeling a little tired than usual so I'm taking it easy & trying to do all the right things (more sleep, rest, & fluids) but I've also been a little too tired to work out too although I might try some yoga tomorrow if I feel up to it.

I don't get sick that often anymore & when I do it usually doesn't last that long. However, getting sick is one of the things that messes with my head in maintaining my weight because in the past I used to use it as an excuse to "fall off the wagon" & go back to my bad habits - i.e. get used to not exercising & stop then start indulging in fatty foods to make myselft feel better which it doesn't. Fortunately, I'm istening to my body more & haven't had much of an appetite but trying to eat healthy & cut calories to compensate for the lack of exercise.

But I just wanted to know...does anyone else feel like this? And if you do, how do you get through it?
workingmom1008 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2009, 07:27 AM   #2  
Just Yr Everyday Chick

S/C/G: Lost 50 lbs, regained some

Height: 5'3"

Hey!

Usually I don't cut calories any further if I'm sick, because I figure my body needs the extra nutrients to get well. Depending on how sick you are, light exercise might be OK, but again, the body needs to fight off the illness and recover.

Of course, that is not an excuse to eat ice cream all day. Darn.

Weighing is just a mess when you're sick. You can be up 3 pounds just from water imbalance, so I often don't pay attention to the scale until I'm feeling better and have gotten things more "normalized."

Jay
JayEll is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2009, 09:23 AM   #3  

S/C/G: 175-180/ 120-125

Height: 5'7

I was sick last week and didn't exercise much at all. I had flu-like symptoms, a very bad cough, and side pain, so I figured it was best to take it easy. I went stir-crazy, but I told myself I could get right back on my normal plan once I was healthy again.

Jay is VERY right about the sick body needing nutrients. My initial plan was not to go over my sedentary maintenance (and on most days, I didn't), but one day, I got very hungry and devoured the universe. I made sure these foods I ate were all healthy, fresh foods with good amounts of protein and whole grains. I felt bad about eating so much, BUT the next day, I felt 348290739 times better! I think my body needed it.

Luckily, sickness usually doesn't last too long, in the grand scheme of things. Take Vitamin C and Cold Eeze, drink some green tea with honey, and feel better.
NightengaleShane is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2009, 04:42 PM   #4  

S/C/G: 215/199/180

Height: 5'8"

I usually don't change anything when I'm sick (unless directly caused by my sickness). For example, unless I have a severe flu or something that beats me down, I usually go about the same workout routine, eat the same kinds of foods, and continue life as it normally is.

If I have the flu then I will treat it as I normally would (drinking lots of fluids and resting). But I acutally find that coming out of something like the flu, I tend to eat more strictly/cleanly since being sick like that the last thing I want to eat are greasy, sweet, etc. things that I would otherwise like to eat.
KDuffer is offline   Reply With Quote