Weight Loss Support Give and get support here!

Old 08-21-2009, 03:30 PM   #1  
a work in progress

S/C/G: see ticker

Height: 5'6 1/2

Default problems.... serious TMI alert!

ok so, ive been having digestive.. issues. i dont know what is considered normal but i only feel the need to "go" about twice a week. ive tried remedying this by taking in more fiber. i started out with those fiber plus bars, and people were warning me to take it slow, and to never eat 2 or else id be running to the bathroom. i started eating them 4 days ago and yesterday i even ate 2 in a row! result? nothing. nothing has happened at all in the 4 days. i know my mom also suffers with this problem. is it genetic? i feel like this might be slowing down my metabolism or weight loss.....
juliastl27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2009, 03:42 PM   #2  

S/C/G: 145/119/120

Height: 5'2"

Did you try Fiber one original cereal? I have 1 cup of it, which is equivalent to 28 gm of fiber.
I too have this 'genetic' constipation problem and this has halted my weight loss several time. If nothing works, may be try Miralax, it takes upto 3 days to show any result though. My doctor suggested me Miralax but fiber one cereal seems to be working better for me.
healthyliving is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2009, 03:43 PM   #3  
Soul Cyster

S/C/G: 235/seeticker/135

Height: 5'3"

I usually go once a day- have you spoken to your doctor? I'd see if they feel there is cause for concern.

The only time I was having very infrequent BM's was when I went to the middle east with my mom and I barely ate anything lol.
beerab is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2009, 03:44 PM   #4  
a work in progress

Quote:
Originally Posted by healthyliving View Post
Did you try Fiber one original cereal? I have 1 cup of it, which is equivalent to 28 gm of fiber.
I too have this 'genetic' constipation problem and this has halted my weight loss several time. If nothing works, may be try Miralax, it takes upto 3 days to show any result though. My doctor suggested me Miralax but fiber one cereal seems to be working better for me.

no, maybe i will give the cereal a try. did you start with like 1/2 a cup or something?
Old 08-21-2009, 03:45 PM   #5  
a work in progress

Quote:
Originally Posted by beerab View Post
I usually go once a day- have you spoken to your doctor? I'd see if they feel there is cause for concern.

The only time I was having very infrequent BM's was when I went to the middle east with my mom and I barely ate anything lol.

ive never talked to a doctor because, well, i guess ive never really noticed it before, lol. this is just how ive always been and since frequency of using the restroom isnt a popular topic, i dont really know whats "normal".
Old 08-21-2009, 03:48 PM   #6  

S/C/G: 175-180/ 120-125

Height: 5'7

In addition to the fiber, drink PLENTY of water. A gallon a day is recommended.

Do you eat fruit often? Apples and bananas can get things moving. Drinking grape juice may help. So might drinking hot, black coffee. Energy drinks sometimes have the same effect, but it depends on the person.

I once had a doctor tell me it is "normal" for people to "go" three times a day OR every THREE days. Some people just don't do #2 as often as others regardless of how much fiber they consume. This may be metabolic or it may just be genetic. Unless "going" is uncomfortable for you, I wouldn't worry too much about it.

Now, on a more amusing note, if "going" IS uncomfortable, well, I had a friend with a serious constipation problem. She tried laxatives. She tried fiber pills. She tried lots of water. Nothing worked and she was still constipated, SO she went and got a colonic. Now, she says things are running (though not RUNNING ) smoothly and she has not been constipated since.
NightengaleShane is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2009, 03:52 PM   #7  

S/C/G: 145/119/120

Height: 5'2"

I started directly with 1 cup. I remember when I started it I had not 'gone' for 7 days!!
I just have 1 cup = 28 gm of fiber in the morning, then I don't have to worry about counting the fiber intake through out the day. I drink around 10-15 glasses of water everyday. I have read somewhere that if you have too much fiber but don't drink enough water then it does have reverse effect as it blocks your digestive system instead of flushing 'things' out
healthyliving is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2009, 03:57 PM   #8  
Let's do this!

S/C/G: 210/149/140

Height: 5'6.5

Fiber is tricky in that it can further constipate you. Make sure you are pairing all that extra fiber with enough water.

If you aren't going, all the fiber in the world may not help you. A light stool softener, however, might.
junebug41 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2009, 03:57 PM   #9  
exercising with twins

S/C/G: 220/198/180

Height: 5' 4"

I've noticed similar symptoms over the past two weeks. For me, I think I'm not eating enough in general and not enough fibre in particular.

I've started adding fibre to my diet, but I've also read that along with the added fibre we need to make sure we drink lots of water because part of the function of fibre is that it absorbs the water as it passes through the system.

I don't know if that helps at all, but you're not alone, and I think this is an important topic that we shy away from a lot.
Sylvied is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2009, 03:59 PM   #10  

I can go an entire week without going, if I'm not extremely diligent about fiber supplementation, probiotics, water and exercise.

For me:

1T ground flaxseed in the morning (in 4oz H2O mixed with 4oz100% cranberry juice and cinammon, warmed)

8-10 glassed of H2O during the day

Probiotics

Regular exercise

1T ground flaxseed in the evening (in 4oz H2O mixed with 4oz100% cranberry juice and cinammon, warmed)

If I don't do all of the above, consistently, I am either constipated or have diarrhea. I have IBS, so I just deal with it. Miralax has also helped me out a great deal.

Last edited by rachinma; 08-21-2009 at 04:00 PM.
rachinma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2009, 04:04 PM   #11  
a work in progress

Quote:
Originally Posted by rachinma View Post
I can go an entire week without going, if I'm not extremely diligent about fiber supplementation, probiotics, water and exercise.

For me:

1T ground flaxseed in the morning (in 4oz H2O mixed with 4oz100% cranberry juice and cinammon, warmed)

8-10 glassed of H2O during the day

Probiotics

Regular exercise

1T ground flaxseed in the evening (in 4oz H2O mixed with 4oz100% cranberry juice and cinammon, warmed)

If I don't do all of the above, consistently, I am either constipated or have diarrhea. I have IBS, so I just deal with it. Miralax has also helped me out a great deal.
im not completely sure what miralax is? ive tried a laxative once in my life, and it worked, a little too well, so im wary of them. whats miralax?
Old 08-21-2009, 04:19 PM   #12  

Miralax is a gentler laxative.

http://www.miralax.com/miralax/consumer/default.jsp
rachinma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2009, 05:00 PM   #13  
Soul Cyster

S/C/G: 235/seeticker/135

If you have always been like this with no issues then I'd say that's just you and it's not a problem. Unless when you actually go you have a hard time and it's painful.
beerab is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2009, 07:20 PM   #14  

Psyllium husk in a cup of juice or water (I drink it in a cup of light chocolate soymilk) works great. I had tried a LOT of different things and I usually only do this once every two weeks or so and it keeps things moving along on a very regular schedule.
Darby1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2009, 08:03 PM   #15  

Another vote for probiotics. And exercise.
Intestinal health is important.
when you think of fiber supplementation, think of fruit. Fruit is full of fiber but very full of water as well. So if you are going to take fiber make sure you drink more water then normal.
thisisnotatest is offline   Reply With Quote