Old 08-21-2009, 12:56 PM   #1  
Token rooster

Height: 6'2

Default getting discouraged

Sorry to be so whiney today. Things in general are really going well for the weight loss. I'm very happy with what I've done so far, yet I'm feeling really discouraged today and I really don't know why.

Part of it is when I look in the mirror I still see a really fat guy. Yes, less of a really fat guy, but still "obese" according to my BMI. I've been trying to lose weight now almost 2 years and have lost a lot of weight but I'm still obese .

The top weight in the "normal" BMI category for me is still 80 pounds away.

I know its a lifetime thing and its about making healthy changes for the rest of your life, but I just want make it happen already. I shouldn't think that way, but I do.

Being in a weight loss plateau for the last few weeks hasn't helped things too much.

What do you all do to get over the blues and to start to feel positive about it all again?
matt_H is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2009, 01:14 PM   #2  
no more hiding

S/C/G: 296/215/160

Height: 5' 5"

I know what I do- make a post just like you did!!! Everyone's encouragment usually gets me feeling much better about myself. So here it goes.....

Matt- you are doing fabulous and that is a pretty weak word for 166 pound loss! By looking at your picture I don't think if I saw you walking down the street that I would even think you looked fat, much less obese. If you were not looking at those charts you would probably be feeling better about yourself. I know, I know, we all make ourselves crazy with those numbers! all of us have days where we just want it to be all over. You have kept on track through some rough stuff lately, you can keep on. Tomorrow will look brighter. Hang in there brother!
2behealthy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2009, 01:16 PM   #3  
Never want to go back!

S/C/G: 338.4/190.8/165

Height: 6 ft

Matt, I definitely understand the "wanting it now blues" feeling. This can be a draining experience and it feels like you're making the sacrifices over and over, but are still far from the ultimate reward. But you have come so far and you look amazing. I don't see "obese" when I see the pictures from your walks and your avatar. I see an active man who has done something inspiring by changing his life completely and losing over 165 pounds. Very few people who wish they could do that will ever be able to SAY that they've done it. And you are one of those strong people.

I think we all get discouraged and wish we were at our goal or feel we've come so far and yet have so far still to go. It's not an instant fix, but the only way I know to get over it is to keep going. I imagine it's a similar feeling to being on mile 40 of your 60 mile walks. You're 2/3 of the way there (just like you are 2/3 of the way to your weight loss goal), you're tired, and you want to be at the finish line. What do you draw on then inside you to get you the rest of the way?
CLCSC145 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2009, 01:25 PM   #4  
One with the Wind and Sky

S/C/G: 360/246/150

Height: 5' 8"

I think we're all entitled to be a little whiney once in a while, no matter how much progress we've made. I'm sorta in a similar position, in that I've lost a great deal of weight but still have so much to go. I'm in my 270's now and also won't get out of the obese BMI until I reach about 200. It's indeed frustrating.

All I've been able to do is go through the motions and know that sticking to the plan will help out in the long run. What tends to make me want to give up is when I focus on how fat I still feel, instead focusing on the positives. How much better I feel physically and emotionally. Realizing that I'm almost halfway to my goal. And reminding myself that at least I'm now aware of my body and emotions instead of trying to eat my way to oblivian.

You'll get through this ok. Not only are we on your side, you've been a great inspiration to us all.
Elladorine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2009, 01:26 PM   #5  
Hi From Canada, eh?

S/C/G: check the ticker :)

Height: 5'8

Going by your picture, I wouldn't think fat or obese if I saw you walking down the street! You're 6'3 so you're a bigger dude, that's all

Any time I start feeling the blahs, I pull out my older pictures and reminisce about how awesome it was having 3 chins, swollen feet and ankles and having to wear birkenstocks all the time and then give my head a shake and think WOW things are AWESOME!!!

**hugs**
Trazey34 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2009, 01:27 PM   #6  
Hi From Canada, eh?

S/C/G: check the ticker :)

Height: 5'8

Going by your picture, I wouldn't think fat or obese if I saw you walking down the street! You're 6'3 so you're a bigger dude, that's all

Any time I start feeling the blahs, I pull out my older pictures and reminisce about how awesome it was having 3 chins, swollen feet and ankles and having to wear birkenstocks all the time and then give my head a shake and think WOW things are AWESOME!!!

**hugs**
Trazey34 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2009, 01:27 PM   #7  

Whoops, double post.

Last edited by Elladorine; 08-21-2009 at 02:35 PM.
Old 08-21-2009, 01:27 PM   #8  

Sorry, triple post! Was having connection issues.

Last edited by Elladorine; 08-21-2009 at 02:41 PM.
Old 08-21-2009, 01:52 PM   #9  
Searching

Holy crap if I was positive about this all the time I wouldn't have ever back slid. I keep looking at the process and the lessons I am learning. I also keep trying to think of plateaus as maintenance training.

Here is my little for you though because I know intimately that nasty voice in your head that calls you fatty even when you have taken responsibility and are doing something about it. Look around, how many people have walked 60 miles in 3 days in your general vicinity, it probably a short list and your name is right on the top.

Size of your body didn't matter, the wonderful thing moved you, carried you, and you did it. Pretty freaking fantastic no matter how you look at it.

I call this taking inventory and counting your little blessings technique

Last edited by rochemist; 08-21-2009 at 01:53 PM.
rochemist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2009, 01:56 PM   #10  

S/C/G: 252/210/145

Height: 5' 4"

Here's a goofy thing that sometimes helps - try to run into someone you haven't seen in a long time. Sometimes hearing from someone else how much you've changed helps you see yourself in a better light. Your progress is amazing - I hope tomorrow is a better day for you.
traci in training is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2009, 02:20 PM   #11  
Kae
. * . * . * . * . * . * .

Everyone gets a little down from time to time, especially if things feel slow moving. But, wow, you've come so far! You are truly inspiring and really looking great in your new picture. Keep it up, the losses will follow!
Kae is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2009, 02:21 PM   #12  
Resident Pixie

S/C/G: Pant Size - 28/12/8

Height: 5'2"

You are doing wonderfully. And most, if not all, of us here can relate to how you're feeling. Try to focus on what all you've accomplished so far and hang in there
Onederchic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2009, 02:35 PM   #13  
Trying so hard....

S/C/G: 298/298/145

Height: 5'7"

I get like that too, and by you sticking with this for over 2 yrs really inspires me cause Ive only been doing well for almost 9 months. It really does seem like you'll never get there sometimes. BUt....like everyone has said already, you have done a Marvelous job honey! Just think of how lousy you'd feel if you had given up? You have come so very far! You keep your head up and keep giving yourself pep talks, and coming here and posting. By the way, your new photo avatar looks very very much slimmer!
MugCanDoIt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2009, 02:48 PM   #14  
Just Yr Everyday Chick

S/C/G: Lost 50 lbs, regained some

Height: 5'3"

I remind myself how far I've come! In your case, you've lost a person! A whole person! Wow! So, yes, you have more yet to lose, but you are way more than halfway to your goal.

If you are getting bored about your routine--find ways to vary it. Try some new activities, or different workouts. Make sure you're trying new foods, not just the same old go-to's. Live your life today, not "when you reach goal"!

You keep on going, Matt!

And if it really, really is getting you so far down you want to quit? Well, you can always switch to maintenance for awhile--set yourself a length of time when you'll just stay the same weight rather than trying to lose. If you're on a plateau, then it won't be any different, after all, but with a couple hundred more calories and less stress.

Jay
JayEll is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2009, 02:49 PM   #15  

S/C/G: 265/132/150

Height: 5'5"

Hey Matt, you are doing fabulous. I understand how you feel though. I put 150 as my goal because I really didn't think I could get any lower. I did it and then 135 has sounded so good. I am having an awful time getting there, maybe it is too low for me. I saw a poster at my sons school yesterday, I know, kinda cheesy, but I added the quote in my sig. It spoke to me. It takes so much persistence, downright determination to get where we want to be. It is so worth it though, so hang in there. I think you look great!
H8cake is offline   Reply With Quote