Looking Good, Feeling Great Plus to Petite Shopping, the Home Spa, and Beauty Tips for Beautiful Chicks

Old 08-20-2009, 08:08 PM   #1  
Resident Pixie

S/C/G: Pant Size - 28/12/8

Height: 5'2"

Default Thin Hair

I have been on this healthy lifestyle for over a year now. I have not during the whole time been consistent with what I was eating and what not but I have for a good chunk of it. And I have taken a one a day multivitamin the entire time. During this time, my hair has gotten increasingly thin on top..as in I can see my scalp .

Barring any type of procedures, treatments, surgeries or pricey products...are there any tips or tricks to make it appear fuller or to grow it back? :|
Onederchic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2009, 08:13 PM   #2  
Resident Pixie

I am very ashamed of this but will post it anyway, here is an overhead shot. Overlook the fact my hair is nappy..it is post workout, pre shower hair :|

Old 08-20-2009, 08:14 PM   #3  

Have you tried Nioxin shampoo and conditioner?Kinda spendy but works very well.Do you know a hair stylist?I have my mom pick it up for me at Peels and then I get her discount.
harrismm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2009, 08:15 PM   #4  
Resident Pixie

I don't know a hair stylist but I will look into it, thank you
Old 08-20-2009, 08:21 PM   #5  

S/C/G: 248.8/232.2/135

Height: 5'8"

Hi, Onderchic. Just a thought...have you had your thyroid checked recently? I was surprised to learn that one of the symptoms of hypothyroidism is hair loss. It has been a problem for me and I notice it particularly when my thyroid hormone replacement med needs to be adjusted. Once my medicine is adjusted, my hair loss almost completely stops.

Cheers,

J
LotusMama is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2009, 08:33 PM   #6  
Resident Pixie

I had that checked a couple years ago and everything was okay. I don't want to be bald After looking at the pic I posted, I have been sitting here crying
Old 08-20-2009, 08:45 PM   #7  
live ur life

S/C/G: 236/230/150

Height: 5'8

don't cry girl...it's not as bad as you are thinking it is. What is your hair care routine in the week to give us an idea? How often you wash, what products you use etc., what would you say your natural hair type is (wavy, loose curls?)
caliyah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2009, 08:49 PM   #8  

S/C/G: 275H/148/165ish

Height: 5'10-5'11

Onderchic,

Hey, just wanted to say congrats on the weight loss...... you are in inspiration. I just read on another thread that you are from Tennessee.... I am from across the river in Arkansas.

anyway, I had very thick hair when I started. I have pretty much been a mirror image of how you lost weight........ and I am thinning too. My OBGYN said unless I am losing 300 hairs a day the dermatologist won't do anything...... and if he does, it will be prescribing Rogaine.... However, my beautician said to increase the vitamin Biotin.....

Hope this helps.
ladyrider72472 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2009, 08:50 PM   #9  
live ur life

S/C/G: 236/230/150

Height: 5'8

also are your hormones in balance?
caliyah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2009, 08:56 PM   #10  
Resident Pixie

I generally condition my hair every day and shampoo it every other day though I just recently started doing that. Use tobe I would shampoo and condition it everyday. My hair is curly/nappy/frizzy. It is the top/bangs that are so bad and I dunno, it is really embarrassing to me. I have enough self esteem issues without trying to do a comb over to hide my scalp .

My horomones are okay as far as I know and I can not at this time in my life afford to go to a doctor or anything cause well..I am poor with no health insurance.
Old 08-20-2009, 09:03 PM   #11  

S/C/G: 151/143/125

Height: 5ft 5"

Post A few tips I've been given

I can totally relate to thin or thinning hair. My bad diet over the years (coupled with an eating disorder and meds) has left my hair very thin and nearly bare in small patches. My hairdresser assures me that if I continue with the healthy eating it will improve and that it can take well over a year to see a real difference in regrowth rate. In the meantime she gave me a few tips:

1. Conditioner makes hair limp and appear thinner so only use it every 3 or 4 hair washes. When you do apply it, apply only to the very ends.

2. Use shampoo specifically designed for thin, fine or limp hair as it will be lighter than other hair products.

3. Use the minimal amount of hair products necessary as anything like hairspray or gel flattens the hair.

4. Examine the amount of stress in your life if you are experiencing continuing hair loss. Even a healthy diet and lifestyle cannot compensate for the effects of stress on hair loss.

5. Massage your head (either when shampooing or just with dry hair) using your fingertips (not nails!). Apart from being really really soothing it helps boost blood circulation to the hair follicles.

6. I often tease (or backbrush) the hair gently with a comb in my thinnest areas. you just brush backwards towards the roots a little. It works really well to disguise thin areas and give the illusion of volume.

7. Any pretty little hair clips can be great to cover particularly thin areas and draw attention away form the actual hair.

I'm sure I can think of more random tips but I hope these might help a little!
SpinyNorma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2009, 09:04 PM   #12  
Which round am I at now?

S/C/G: 158/see ticker/140

Height: 5' 5-3/4"

See your doctor? me too, since the age of 16 my hair has seriously thinned. Completely different styling required. A good stylist will give you bangs with a short underlayer to disguise this. I got a haircut (and many since) that rocked my world, thin hair and all.

I have chalked it up to hormones, being on birthcontrol (Diane one year, then yasmin for a few more) and maturation. I have to see my doctor about it too.
souvenirdarling is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2009, 09:10 PM   #13  
Resident Pixie

Quote:
Originally Posted by SpinyNorma View Post
I can totally relate to thin or thinning hair. My bad diet over the years (coupled with an eating disorder and meds) has left my hair very thin and nearly bare in small patches. My hairdresser assures me that if I continue with the healthy eating it will improve and that it can take well over a year to see a real difference in regrowth rate. In the meantime she gave me a few tips:

1. Conditioner makes hair limp and appear thinner so only use it every 3 or 4 hair washes. When you do apply it, apply only to the very ends.

2. Use shampoo specifically designed for thin, fine or limp hair as it will be lighter than other hair products.

3. Use the minimal amount of hair products necessary as anything like hairspray or gel flattens the hair.

4. Examine the amount of stress in your life if you are experiencing continuing hair loss. Even a healthy diet and lifestyle cannot compensate for the effects of stress on hair loss.

5. Massage your head (either when shampooing or just with dry hair) using your fingertips (not nails!). Apart from being really really soothing it helps boost blood circulation to the hair follicles.

6. I often tease (or backbrush) the hair gently with a comb in my thinnest areas. you just brush backwards towards the roots a little. It works really well to disguise thin areas and give the illusion of volume.

7. Any pretty little hair clips can be great to cover particularly thin areas and draw attention away form the actual hair.

I'm sure I can think of more random tips but I hope these might help a little!

Thank you so much.

I will explain why I have just been using conditioner mainly...it is because I have super frizzy hair .

I also been using a hairdryer everyday and flatiron to try to tone down the frizzies. Should I stop those and if yes, how do I get rid of my frizzies?

Thanks again for all the advice
Old 08-20-2009, 09:11 PM   #14  
Resident Pixie

Quote:
Originally Posted by ladyrider72472 View Post
Onderchic,

Hey, just wanted to say congrats on the weight loss...... you are in inspiration. I just read on another thread that you are from Tennessee.... I am from across the river in Arkansas.

anyway, I had very thick hair when I started. I have pretty much been a mirror image of how you lost weight........ and I am thinning too. My OBGYN said unless I am losing 300 hairs a day the dermatologist won't do anything...... and if he does, it will be prescribing Rogaine.... However, my beautician said to increase the vitamin Biotin.....

Hope this helps.

I was born and raised in Dell, Arkansas

I was just reading an article about biotin and was thinking maybe I could try that.

Thanks so much for the response
Old 08-20-2009, 09:13 PM   #15  
Don't Give Up

S/C/G: 235/182.4/?

Height: 5'4

Unhappy Oh I understand!!!

Ok so I feel for you! I not only feel for you I sympathize with you because my hair started thinning after I started losing weight. I think the biggest part was that the multi-vitamin I was taking wasn't a good one. So I went to a health food store & picked up a really GREAT multi-vitamin. I also researched that ginseng & horsetail helped hair to grow so I got a pill for that. I have a bunch of little hairs all over my head! The place that was thinning is rapidly growing back hair. If you want I can send you the links, but this is also working for my husband, & another mutal friend of ours so we believe in it. Just PM me if you're interested.
SweetTink is offline   Reply With Quote