100 lb. Club - salad dressing find

View Full Version : salad dressing find

cfmama
08-20-2009, 02:20 PM
For those of us (like myself) that buy salad dressings rather than make them.

I LOVE ranch dressing. I LOVE Caesar dressing. I don't LOVE the amount of calories per tablespoon... usually 70-80. Well so I have not eaten them in almost 11 months. I did buy some fat free ranch but it was pretty gross. And chemical.

Yesterday when replenishing my salad making supplies I found... YOGURT salad dressing! Yogurt Ranch and Yogurt Caesar! AND they only have 40 calories per Tablespoon!!!!!!! Since I usually use just one T that WORKS! And omg they are soooo yummy. I just had 1.5 T with my veggie plate and sofreakinggood.

It's President's Choice brand. I don't know if you get it in the states but in Canada you can buy it at any Superstore/Loblaws/extra foods etc.

Go. Buy it. It's made of win.

Elladorine
08-20-2009, 02:24 PM
Ooh, is that in the refrigerated section? I'll have to keep an eye out.

cfmama
08-20-2009, 02:31 PM
Nope just on the regular shelf. It's a white label.

Gela
08-20-2009, 03:19 PM
That's awesome! President's Choice was a really good quality store brand. The chain of stores that carried it in my area closed down years ago.

chickiegirl
08-20-2009, 03:22 PM
Ohhh, sounds good ... especially that ceaser. Going to keep my eye out. Thanks for the tip!

rockinrobin
08-20-2009, 03:26 PM
I make my own Caesar Dressing. Into a container or a cruet I put about a tablespoon of lite mayo, about a teaspoon of olive oil, about 1/3 cup water, about a tablespoon of lemon juice, 1 crushed garlic clove, about 1/2 tsp of mustard powder, salt and pepper. Mix it up real well and viola - delicious low cal Caesar dressing.

nelie
08-20-2009, 03:29 PM
The World's Healthiest Foods just sent out a recipe for caesar dressing.

• 3 TBS chopped fresh basil
• 3 medium cloves garlic, pressed
• 1 TBS prepared Dijon mustard
• 1 TBS honey
• tsp salt
• tsp cracked black pepper
• 4 TBS fresh lemon juice
• 1/4 cup sunflower seeds
• 4 oz silken tofu
• 2 TBS extra virgin olive oil
• *a little water to thin if needed

1. Blend all dressing ingredients in blender adding oil a little at a time at end.

My favorite dressing is either salsa or Galeo's Miso Ginger dressing. TonTon vinagrette is really good too.

beerab
08-20-2009, 04:18 PM
OH MO GOD! *faints*

I am looking for that THIS weekend!

rockinrobin
08-20-2009, 04:41 PM
The World's Healthiest Foods just sent out a recipe for caesar dressing.

3 TBS chopped fresh basil
3 medium cloves garlic, pressed
1 TBS prepared Dijon mustard
1 TBS honey
tsp salt
tsp cracked black pepper
4 TBS fresh lemon juice
1/4 cup sunflower seeds
4 oz silken tofu
2 TBS extra virgin olive oil
*a little water to thin if needed

1. Blend all dressing ingredients in blender adding oil a little at a time at end.

My favorite dressing is either salsa or Galeo's Miso Ginger dressing. TonTon vinagrette is really good too.

Thanks for the reminder Nelie. What was I thinking? Oh, I wasn't. I left the lemon juice out of my recipe. I am going to go back and edit accordingly.

cfmama
08-20-2009, 04:49 PM
RRobin: how many calories per T do you count for this dressing? It looks simple enough that I might just try it ;) lol.

rockinrobin
08-20-2009, 05:02 PM
RRobin: how many calories per T do you count for this dressing? It looks simple enough that I might just try it ;) lol.

I never figured it out. In fact, I don't even measure everything exactly. I just kinda throw it all in there. So that's why everything I gave was approximates and kept saying "about". It wouldn't be too hard to figure out the calorie count. The mayo has about 35 cals, the oil about 40, everything else is negligible. You can make up a batch and see how many tablespoons you get and do the math. You can also adjust the measurements to your tastes. I make it all the time, though I myself rarely eat it. My family loves it. The water makes it nice and thin and SPREADABLE. So it gets all over the salad.

cfmama
08-20-2009, 05:09 PM
Thanks for the recipe :)

bacilli
08-20-2009, 05:45 PM
In the US, Bolthouse sells yogurt ranch, bleu cheese, and caesar that are pretty good.

BarbPA
08-20-2009, 10:47 PM
Good to hear CF. I was just looking at them in the store the other day and decided not to get any. I may have to try them out now. :)

TraceyElaine
08-21-2009, 08:13 AM
I've had that and it isssss good. There is another kind I tried but I can't remember the brand name. But yes yogert dressing=yummy! ;)

findingfawn
08-21-2009, 09:07 AM
I will totally have to look for this when I'm at the store tonight.

quiffy
08-21-2009, 02:29 PM
I love Bolthouse's honey mustard. We use it in many things and it has started replacing ketchup on our burgers.

Oh, and I find it in the refridge section in produce.

chickiegirl
08-24-2009, 12:30 PM
I'm going to vouch for the caesar. Got it yesterday and just had a great chicken caesar salad for lunch -- 2 tablespoons of dressing, believe that's 80 cals and 6 grams of fat.

Really good stuff. Of course better to make your own, but I'd recommend this for a quick, healthier option.

kaplods
08-24-2009, 03:18 PM
I made a homemade creamy Caesar just yesterday. It took about 3 minutes. I didn't calculate the exact calories, just the two fat servings (I'm on an exchange plan). It made about 4 to 5 tablespoons of dressing (somewhere around 20 to 25 calories).

I never use a recipe, and I only measure the mayo, but here's about what I used:

2 tablespoons Hellman's Canola or olive oil mayo (50 calories per tablespoon)
a pinch of dehydrated garlic (or half a fresh clove smushed)
* a couple dashes of Vietnamese style fish sauce
a shake of seasoned salt or Accent
one grind of fresh pepper
2 - 3 tablespoons rice wine vinegar
Spenda to taste (depending upon how much vinegar I use, I start with one little yellow packet).

* I used to use anchovy paste and/or worcestershire sauce, but the fish sauce has a smoother, more delicate less salty taste.

I almost always make my own, because salad dressings are one of the easiest and cheapest things to make at home. I have found only a couple store-bought low calorie salad dressings that I consider even edible, but I can make really good ones at home in just a few minutes. At it's simplest, I blend ketchup or salsa into light mayo.

Taurie
08-24-2009, 04:39 PM
Ah man! They don't have low fat ranch dressing in England. Next time I go back home to the states I'm stocking up! Though, I've gotten use to eating my salads dry. I don't fancy other dressings.

That yogurt ranch one sounds nice!

jay41
08-24-2009, 07:03 PM
Well if BarbPA can find them in PA then I should be able to find them here in Virginia. What an awesome find! I always fret about the salad dressing.