Old 08-20-2009, 12:14 PM   #1  
banned

S/C/G: 213/ticker/135

Height: 5'5

Default Frustrated with my scale

So I weigh myself two times a day simply because I really need to monitor myself because I gain weight incredibly easy, anyways, yesterday evening i weighed myself and it read 209 which is fine because I'm usually up two lbs at the end of the day, and down two by the morning. Later that evening just because, I weighed myself again and it read 205. I knew that was wrong, so I picked it up, put it back down and stepped on and it read 215! once again, wrong. I repeated the same thing, and this time it read 212. Ugh. So this morning, it read 211 went to the bathroom, now it's 210.

What the heck is going on here? I ate very well yesterday so there's no reason I'd gain 2 or three pounds. Should I get a new scale? This one is about three years old and is a digital Homedics one.
sunflowergirl68 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2009, 12:16 PM   #2  
Resisting the Urge

S/C/G: 282.4/Ticker/199.9

Height: 5'8"

Sounds like it might be time for a scale upgrade. I always have issues with home scales, they seem to fluxuate more than they should. I wonder what the best at home scale is nowadays?
Essa415 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2009, 12:20 PM   #3  
banned

The thing is too, I wouldn't worry so much about my actual weight but I need to lose at least 10 pounds by the end of september, it's doctor mandated.
Old 08-20-2009, 01:23 PM   #4  
banned

So I just got back from the store and bought another scale.... yup I gained two pounds yesterday.

I am so pissed off, I have no idea how that happened. I didn't go over in my calories astronomically. I think there's something wrong with me.

For example, if I have, say, a slice or two of pizza, I gain two pounds. And this is me weighing myself the next morning, and it doesn't go away. Does anyone else have this problem? Gaining weight like there's no tomorrow and not really doing anything to warrant it?
Old 08-20-2009, 01:34 PM   #5  
Kae
. * . * . * . * . * . * .

Yea, I bounced up two pounds the other day for no reason and it seems to be staying put. I'm just hoping I'll sudden drop a few on the scale someday soon.
Kae is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2009, 01:35 PM   #6  
banned

I'm definitely going to talk to my doctor about it at my appointment in a month.... I'm going to really exercise this next month 5 times a week and eat right and see what happens and if my weight is still being iffy like this, then there could be a problem.

I am hypothyroid, but I'm consistently taking my meds for it. So I dunno.
Old 08-20-2009, 03:22 PM   #7  
Gettin' married 9/20/09!

S/C/G: 195/???/125

Height: 5'4.5"

Have you considered sodium with the pizza?? Or weightlifting and gaining muscle?
JulieRN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2009, 12:24 AM   #8  
banned

Well I'm not really weightlifting... I'm doing the 30 day shred with 3 lb weights.

And I do think sodium could very well be a factor... so I just should drink a ton of water and pee it out? lol

I think it's about time to go on a low sodium diet.
Old 08-21-2009, 09:53 AM   #9  

S/C/G: 160/160/115

Height: 5'2"

Did you spend more time in the heat than usual? Have you been more stressed? Did you sleep less? More? Could it be hormonal? Have you been regular? Could you be sick, or were you recently?

Here's a picture that I love: http://www.fourmilab.ch/hackdiet/www...1_2_2_0_6.html It really shows that most of the scale's fluctuations are probably due to water... look at how many pounds of water go in and out of the average person each day compared to solids!

On that note, maybe it is almost time for a new scale. I've noticed that mine, which is only a little over a year old (but was super cheap) has started giving me an incorrect weight the first time or two I step on it every day... like it needs to warm up before it can weigh accurately. I end up getting on and off the thing like 5 times every morning... it's a pain.
mayness is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2009, 12:25 PM   #10  
banned

Well it's pretty hot where I live, but I work indoors and stay indoors as much as I have to, I haven't been that stressed, I've actually been sleeping really well, going to bed around 12 and waking up around 8-8:30, and I have been regular, and I haven't been sick in like a year.

The thing is though, the water weight *won't go away*. I exercise, I eat healthy, and it's still there. Today I'm up another pound. And I did buy a new scale, and my old one is reading what my new one is.

Should I drink more water? I don't get it. The weight just won't stay off.
Old 08-21-2009, 12:47 PM   #11  

S/C/G: 160/160/115

Height: 5'2"

Ooops, I missed the part about the new scale last time. Scales vary quite a bit, so you can't really compare the numbers between two different scales.

Maybe it would help if you can tell us some more about your weight loss history. Knowing that your weight went up and stayed there for a few days doesn't mean much... that happens to all of us sometimes! How many weeks/months/years have you been at this? How much have you lost altogether?

But if you're not losing weight for weeks at a time, or even gaining, there must be something about your program that isn't working for you. As a general rule, a pound of fat is 3,500 calories, so you have to eat that much more than your maintenance level to gain a pound of fat. So if the weight is sticking around, it's NOT from two piece of pizza, there's something else at play.

It could be that your medication needs to be adjusted. Have you ever logged a days worth of food (every single bite) to see how many calories you're eating? It could be that you're eating too much, OR not eating enough.

Did you just start exercising recently? Your muscles will hold on to more water at first as part of the repairing process. Also, when I start an exercise program, I feel MUCH more hungry for a few weeks, so if I don't carefully monitor my calories I'll end up eating too much.

Last edited by mayness; 08-21-2009 at 12:48 PM.
mayness is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2009, 01:28 PM   #12  
I luv my curves

S/C/G: 255/ticker/180

Height: 5'1 3/4

I personally like to weigh myself at the gym and they have those old fashioned scales. For the first two weeks I wasnt losing anything and i was a little upset since ive been working out for about five -seven hours each week but last week and this week the scale has been going down all of a sudden BOOM!!! and I have no complaints my work is paying off.

I think what has helped me most is that i havent been eating anything after around 6-7pm. and I always weigh in first thing in the morning on an empty stomach.
Matilda08 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2009, 02:24 PM   #13  
banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by mayness View Post
Ooops, I missed the part about the new scale last time. Scales vary quite a bit, so you can't really compare the numbers between two different scales.

Maybe it would help if you can tell us some more about your weight loss history. Knowing that your weight went up and stayed there for a few days doesn't mean much... that happens to all of us sometimes! How many weeks/months/years have you been at this? How much have you lost altogether?

But if you're not losing weight for weeks at a time, or even gaining, there must be something about your program that isn't working for you. As a general rule, a pound of fat is 3,500 calories, so you have to eat that much more than your maintenance level to gain a pound of fat. So if the weight is sticking around, it's NOT from two piece of pizza, there's something else at play.

It could be that your medication needs to be adjusted. Have you ever logged a days worth of food (every single bite) to see how many calories you're eating? It could be that you're eating too much, OR not eating enough.

Did you just start exercising recently? Your muscles will hold on to more water at first as part of the repairing process. Also, when I start an exercise program, I feel MUCH more hungry for a few weeks, so if I don't carefully monitor my calories I'll end up eating too much.
Sadly, the two scales are reading pretty much the same weight so it's not my old scale :-(

And I've never really lost a good amount of weight in the past, I've been steadily gaining for the past few years since high school and am now doing something about it. i've been eating well for the past couple of months and recently started exercising.

Thanks for the advice, I think I just need to start drinking more water and eating more veggies. It's just so frustrating, you know?

And, I just got my Synthroid adjusted in June and I'm going back in September and my doctor wanted me to have lost some weight by then, so that's why I'm freaking out a little. I'll talk to him and say that I'm really eating healthy and small portions and exercising, and by Sept 22nd, if I'm still here and stuck with it, then I'm scared there's going to be a problem.

Last edited by sunflowergirl68; 08-21-2009 at 02:26 PM.