Weight Loss Support Give and get support here!

Old 08-20-2009, 11:16 AM   #1  
Never looking back...

S/C/G: 194/ticker/140

Height: 5'4"

Default Any teachers here?

Just wondering if there were any teachers here that could help me say NO to department-office goodies and cafeteria food!

Also, how do you manage your water intake? When I teach 3 classes in a row, it is near-impossible for me to get to a restroom and back in between classes!
MrsJerseyben is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2009, 11:31 AM   #2  
Here we go again...

S/C/G: 176/ticker/155

Height: 5'5"/ 65 in

Yay!! I lived in Jersey for the longest time AND I was a teacher for um a year. Hehe. I don't know about your department, but in mine I couldn't suggest to anyone not to bring in those goodies because A. they were majorly senior to me and B. they would kill me. At that time, I would just give in and have a treat. I also gained weight. If I could go back in time, I would bring in a healthful treat. Not veggies because that will not go over too well. How about bringing in zucchini bread? If you make it at home, you can have even more control over the amount of some ingredients added. I know it's crazy with all the lesson planning and grading, but if you can, it's an option. Why not bring in weight watchers cakes? Just don't show the box, unwrap them and place them on a pretty plate. I bet nobody would know the diff. I know people who've eaten them and said they taste like the real thing. Other than that, do your grading in your own classroom if you have to avoid temptation.

To answer your water question: Take a bottle of water to work with you and hide it in a desk drawer. In between classes, step outside and take a sip (or 10).

Good luck!!

Last edited by Sunnigummi; 08-20-2009 at 11:32 AM.
Sunnigummi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2009, 11:49 AM   #3  

S/C/G: 337.4/322/155

Height: 5'8

I had water issues too. I haven't gotten a teaching job yet but during my student teaching I would walk around with the water bottle in my hand and subconciously drink like 2 bottles per class. I had to pee all the time! So I just stopped bringing my water bottle. It sucks, but I don't think you can get your water in durring the day and be a teacher.

As far as avoiding the cafeteria, well, that never even tempted me. The schools' food was gross. And when our deptarment did pot luck lunches and such I'd either bring my own lunch and eat with them without participating in the pot luck, or just take very small portions of everything.
Aclai4067 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2009, 12:12 PM   #4  

S/C/G: 250/173.2/149

Height: 5'6"

I am a teacher and the water intake wasn't the best. I still drank about 32 ounces of water, but most of it was during lunch time. I just didn't have much time to drink during actual classes. Plus, there is a "only clear liquid" rule at my school, so the times that I would bring water mixed with Crystal Light, I would have to keep it in my bag anyway. Stupid rule...but what can you do?

I had a similar problem though with having to run to the bathroom so much after drinking all that water. It literally took until the spring of this past school year to get a key to the bathroom....I have been there 8 years!!! So I was always using the teacher's key next door or my para's key when she would come for math class. My free block was usually second block of the day and I definitely didn't need to use the bathroom then. If my schedule is correct, my free block is after lunch this year...so that will make bathroom runs a bit easier LOL But they also have me scheduled teaching two different classes in different rooms at the same exact time...so we'll see how accurate the schedule really is! haha
Chele615 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2009, 12:52 PM   #5  

S/C/G: 195/115/115

Height: 5.0

I tend to time my water drinking so I get most after the morning. I sip water during the morning but don't begin to guzzle till lunchtime or so, and drink water steadily throughout the afternoon after work and evening.

On the meeting snacks, I'm lucky in that my school has made a commitment to good nutrition for the kids, which has impacted staff food. There might be cookies or something, but also always cut-up fruit, or veggies and hummus. And I always bring my lunches!

Last edited by Teachyrchildren; 08-20-2009 at 12:53 PM.
Teachyrchildren is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2009, 01:29 PM   #6  

S/C/G: 231/229/208 (first goal) /129

Height: 5ft5" ish.

I'm a teaching assistant or Learning Support Assistant in a primary school (I work with kids aged 9-11) and our school actively encourages pupils & teachers to drink water throughout the day. Good job there's a disabled toilet in each section of the school.

As for the snacks etc, this too is a problem for me. I've put on about 21lbs since September Mainly from eating too many takeaways (I'm also a part time university student) from lack of time to prepare and cook meals from scratch, and also birthday cakes & "snacks" even though they're mainly fruit. I'm hoping this school year I can resist or at least have all the calories recorded in my phone to help me make decisions as to what to have which will do the least damage
nicki reborn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2009, 02:29 PM   #7  

S/C/G: 252-255?/ticker/145

Height: 5'6''

I totally understand about the seniority issue. Maybe you could suggest in a faculty meeting that as educators, you should be setting an example for students and have healthy snack options for the faculty. I doubt that anyone would put down the idea to have healthy food, especially with everything you see on the news about how Americans are getting fatter and fatter--it just wouldn't look good! The reason I suggest to say something during a meeting is that way it's in front of the higher-ups, they might be more likely to be on your side.
paris81 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2009, 02:43 PM   #8  
Never looking back...

Thanks for all the great suggestions! Faculty meetings are the worst! They always bring in brownies, cookies, etc. Maybe I COULD suggest that we include at least one healthy treat... if I suggest that they completely eliminate sweets, I think they'd run me out of town.

I have off the first two periods of the day, and then teach pretty much straight through with a 26-minute lunch break! I'm gonna have to be morning-heavy with my water so I pee before 3rd period!!!
Old 08-20-2009, 08:01 PM   #9  
Persevere! You can!

S/C/G: 234/178/134

Height: 5'5"

I'm a student teacher and I bring a lunch in with me to avoid the cafeteria and all the unhealthy food that goes with it! No-one bats an eye if I bring in a chicken salad sandwich I made at home or heat up a healthy meal.

As for the water thing - I take my water bottle and I drink during class. If I have a single period I go to the bathroom in between periods whenever I need. However, it's unusual for me to need to pee more than before school/break/lunch/after school.

As for goodies in the staff room - I usually say no thank you, but take something if it looks really good and I think I can fit it into my plan. There are loads of recipes for how to make healthy treats, and I would make a home bake of something nutritious if I had to bring something in.
georgiad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2009, 07:46 AM   #10  
Never looking back...

My husband seems to think I should tell people I'm trying to lose weight, and they will be more considerate of what they bring in. I'm afraid to be embarrassed... there are some women in my department I would feel comfortable sharing with, but I think they would still try to cajole me into eating that brownie. I mean, these are people who KNOW I'm Jewish and KNEW it was Passover, but still encouraged me to eat the birthday cake they brought in for someone, saying "It won't matter!" Excuse me?!

I guess I'm just going to have to be a little more forward in sticking up for myself!
Old 08-21-2009, 08:27 AM   #11  

S/C/G: 380/380/198

Height: 6'3

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrsJerseyben View Post
My husband seems to think I should tell people I'm trying to lose weight, and they will be more considerate of what they bring in. I'm afraid to be embarrassed... there are some women in my department I would feel comfortable sharing with, but I think they would still try to cajole me into eating that brownie. I mean, these are people who KNOW I'm Jewish and KNEW it was Passover, but still encouraged me to eat the birthday cake they brought in for someone, saying "It won't matter!" Excuse me?!

I guess I'm just going to have to be a little more forward in sticking up for myself!

I'm not a teacher, but I'm not sure if it would be a good idea to tell them if they pushed you that much even on passover. I would just try to avoid the food or just tell yourself you don't need it. I know it won't taste as good but when you get a craving for that food replace it with some veggies or a fruit since it would be sweet. Good luck with it I know you can do it!
Nate0201 is offline   Reply With Quote