Support Groups - How to Control Weight After You Quit Smoking?plss help

kiranpatil
08-18-2009, 10:55 AM
hey hiii to everyone.............I have a query regarding Smoking and weight Gain. My friend is a chain smoker but from last 2 months he has cut down on his smoking, but he feels that it is putting a adverse effect on his health especially on his weight. Is this really bcause he has reduce smoking or its just in his mind. Is there a negative impact on your health after u quit smoking??

harrismm
08-18-2009, 11:16 AM
No.Metabolism slightly decreases.Weight gain is common.Cardiovascular improvement.Its all good.........

QuilterInVA
08-18-2009, 11:40 AM
My doctor said I'd have to gain 50 pounds before it outweighed the good stopping smoking did. Metabolism slows and food tastes so much better, you have to be on your guard to keep the weight gain away.

jayanthudar
08-20-2009, 05:23 AM
It is always the best if one can stop smoking for better health. However, most of the smokers who quit doing so would face the same problem. They gain much weight after they quit smoking. Is this effect applicable to everyone? Not really. It only happens to those heavy smokers who have smoked for more than 10 years. For those light smokers, they hardly gain weight when they quit.

In fact, gaining some weight is a normal outcome. Nothing to be worried as it is the effect of nicotine leaving the body. In average, smokers who stop smoking normally gain about 10 pounds. If they gain excessive weight, they are advised to consult the doctors to avoid from overweight problem.

Nightmare
08-23-2009, 05:00 PM
Here's an ex-smoker's advice!

I smoked for about fifteen years, found out I was pregnant and stopped smoking COLD TURKEY :turkey:

BUT.....I think about smoking every single day.
But, what your friend needs to do is: stop doing things like drinking coffee, or alcohol or going out for meals.....anything that triggers a smoke after or during.
This will be only temporary, I assure you.
But, in the process of quitting you have to avoid those trigger points.

Also, on the weight gain problem.
KEEP VERY BUSY. :bike2::running::exercise::swim:

I wish your friend the best of luck and from a non-smoker to hopefully another.....YOU CAN DO IT.
It will take a lot of will power, but you can do it.

I DID!!!

giselley
08-25-2009, 11:41 AM
I think one of the most interesting changes is that your blood color changes. Smokers have a really dark red blood because the blood is oxygen starved. Non smokers have a lighter almost orange blood color. (sort of pomegranite color). You gain 4-5 pounds due to quitting. I'd say it was worth it. If you gain more than that then it is you just binge eating or something. It is in your mind in that your dopamine levels rise when you are doing something that causes you pleasure, whether it is shooting heroin, or eating cream puffs. You just need to learn to ignore it.