General chatter - PETA in the news. . . again.

View Full Version : PETA in the news. . . again.

Mickeypnd
08-18-2009, 08:03 AM
So, PETA has a new ad campaign, this time on a billboard in Flordia, this time they go for over weight people. here is a pic of the billboard I saw on AOL this morning.

http://blog.peta.org/archives/WhaleBB.JPG

thoughts?

Smileydd
08-18-2009, 08:22 AM
:devil::devil:I have alot to say about this!! I work for the poultry business. Peta stays on us hot and heavy!! it is a good thing I can not email them with my opinion

Iconised Ghost
08-18-2009, 08:36 AM
Because everyone knows there's no such thing as a fat vegetarian

Onederchic
08-18-2009, 08:57 AM
Ugh...just...ugh!

Fat Pants
08-18-2009, 09:17 AM

Really. It wasn't, ya know, the cheese pizza or the loads of pasta or the million sodas I was drinking every day that made me fat...it was the MEAT! :lol:

Onederchic
08-18-2009, 09:20 AM
:rofl:

TwynnB
08-18-2009, 09:22 AM
Wow. That's pretty harsh. I'd love to see all their members and see if any of them are fat.

Onederchic
08-18-2009, 09:26 AM
Oh here's a gem from PETA..it is from Feb 9, 2009 but I just came across it -

http://nbcsports.msnbc.com/id/29104505

pintobean
08-18-2009, 09:39 AM

Exactly! :lol3:
PETA is PITA seriously! :mad:. I think this is really harsh and totally unnecessary. I honestly feel they would have a better following if they used better tactics.

Using KKK imagery, seriously? dumb f****!

Onederchic
08-18-2009, 10:00 AM
I so agree, pintobean. It is truly disgusting.

Fat Chick B Gone
08-18-2009, 10:09 AM
As a vegan I CANNOT stand PETA and the tactics they use. They're also incredibly inconsistent with the messages they send and they make it hard for the real animal rights activists to come across with any amount of sense. Oh how I wish people would quit giving them money.

Onederchic
08-18-2009, 10:14 AM
This is OT but Fat Chick B Gone - #1, I love your title and #2 I love your Location :D :carrot:

Fat Chick B Gone
08-18-2009, 10:42 AM

sophiebean
08-18-2009, 10:55 AM
This has really annoyed me. They're completely underminding the importance of vegetarianism. Peta are veeeery good at passing judgement on others... as a fat vegetarian who has never eaten meat.. I would just like to say... they're idiots.

luvja
08-18-2009, 10:56 AM
That just made me hate PETA even more :mad:

DivineFidelity
08-18-2009, 10:56 AM
See this is the stuff that makes people think my little sister is insane. She's 15 and she's been vegetarian for about a year now...but she always talks about peta and how cool peta is and sends around peta videoes on FB and stuff...and no one takes her seriously.

I've told her a million times, it's cool that she's a vegetarian, but she needs to lose the obsession with peta...

BUT she's my little sister, so of course she doesn't listen to me. lol

Fat Chick B Gone
08-18-2009, 11:25 AM
DivineFidelity - A lot of their supporters are younger kids who just don't get how stupid they are! Hopefully she'll grow out of it.

Onederchic
08-18-2009, 11:27 AM
Yeah, I hope she will grow out of that too :hug:

TJFitnessDiva
08-18-2009, 11:52 AM
They were talking about this yesterday on one of the local radio stations....just one more thing that makes me dislike them. I know they are all about sensationalism and yeah they got people talking but seriously they need to be taken down from the inside out lol

nelie
08-18-2009, 11:59 AM
You know I actually didn't think Peta did anything useful although they have had some small successes from what I know in the past.

I was surprised to learn that they actually got clothing designers to look at leather and the environmental impact of leather. Apparently leather is one of the big culprits in rain forest destruction.

Good for them, I still don't like them or their methods though.

Aclai4067
08-18-2009, 12:11 PM
See this is the stuff that makes people think my little sister is insane. She's 15 and she's been vegetarian for about a year now...but she always talks about peta and how cool peta is and sends around peta videoes on FB and stuff...and no one takes her seriously.

I've told her a million times, it's cool that she's a vegetarian, but she needs to lose the obsession with peta...

BUT she's my little sister, so of course she doesn't listen to me. lol

The thing about youth is you tend to look at the idea more than the reality. I was crazy idealistic at her age. Peta really seems great at the surface. But, well, they're insane in reality. My sister had a brief interest in Peta, but then she looked into them further and I didn't hear her mention them anymore

harrismm
08-18-2009, 12:13 PM
........"PETA"files.

NightengaleShane
08-18-2009, 12:19 PM
PETA is so ridiculous. I have always liked to say PETA = People Eating Tasty Animals. Steak, anyone? :D

Seriously, there are 374092347092374907 other ways to promote vegetarianism besides using an ad like that. I am pretty sure most people seeing that ad who truly DO need to "lose blubber" would be infuriated. Those who don't may laugh, but it won't cause them to become vegetarians.

And, as stated above, bread, cheese, chips, french fries, crackers, sodas, baked goods, and sugary cereals parading as healthy choices have NOTHING to do with making anybody fat -- that is just common knowledge. ;)

nelie
08-18-2009, 12:30 PM
PETA is so ridiculous. I have always liked to say PETA = People Eating Tasty Animals. Steak, anyone? :D

Seriously, there are 374092347092374907 other ways to promote vegetarianism besides using an ad like that. I am pretty sure most people seeing that ad who truly DO need to "lose blubber" would be infuriated. Those who don't may laugh, but it won't cause them to become vegetarians.

And, as stated above, bread, cheese, chips, french fries, crackers, sodas, baked goods, and sugary cereals parading as healthy choices have NOTHING to do with making anybody fat -- that is just common knowledge. ;)

I will say it again, PETA is not a vegetarian organization, they are an animal rights organization. So even though they support vegetarianism, from my understanding, many of those within the organization aren't vegetarian and vegetarianism isn't really their goal.

It is one reason that frustrates me as a vegetarian because people always seem to jump to the "you must be a PETA supporter" conclusion. And I have heard the played out comment "people eating tasting animals" at least a million times.

NightengaleShane
08-18-2009, 12:36 PM
ACK =/ I was just being silly...

I have plenty of vegetarian friends and nothing against vegetarianism. I was a vegetarian for a short time during my teen years, except I did it to be trendy and because I thought it would help keep me slim. I didn't have the conviction behind it to keep doing it. My personal philosophy is "well, it's already dead -- if I don't eat it, someone else will." I don't hunt; I could never voluntarily kill an animal, nor could I eat an animal that I watched die. I think it's great when people become vegetarians because they truly have compassion for animals enough to get sad when eating them, AND I do NOT EVER assume all vegetarians are PETA supporters! :( Actually, only ONE vegetarian I know actually supports PETA at all -- the rest have the same view on PETA that I do -- they think it is silly and extreme.

nelie
08-18-2009, 12:39 PM
Shane - it may not be you but for some reason people do assume. I just joined facebook and there is a group called Vegetarian women against PETA. I thought that was cool.

Fat Chick B Gone
08-18-2009, 01:04 PM
See, I'd argue that PETA isn't even an animal right's group. They work with KFC to use more "humane" meat? The chicken is still brutally slautered. Real animal rights believers don't even believe in the use of animals for milk production, wool, etc.

Basically they're a PR company that sometimes helps animals but largely hurts the cause.

Onederchic
08-18-2009, 01:21 PM
I believe it is good to be against the cruelty of animals but jeez louise, do they have to take it to such extremes? That is what ticks me off. And just to add, I don't believe all vegetarians are part of PETA and vice versa :D

tikanique
08-18-2009, 03:11 PM
I don't understand why they decided to run an ad attacking obese people. That's plain ignorant. I tried going pure vegan once, lasted a year. I gained crazy weight. Clearly obesity does not = carnivorous, no more than slim/healthy = vegetarian.

SunshineCA
08-19-2009, 02:19 AM
Ouch! That's just cruel and unnecessary! PETA SUCKS! :nono:

ringmaster
08-19-2009, 04:06 AM
Well, I do believe vegetarian doesn't work for everyone's body to lose weight, but I also believe the hormones and corn fed to the animals people eat isn't good for us either.

I'm a big animal lover and I do my best to try to make humane choices, but I've read some controversial things about PETA; for one they wanted all of Mike Vick's dogs put to sleep before they were even evaluated if any could be saved; it was dog rescue groups that stepped up to save them, not PETA! Alot of the animals in their shelters also get put to sleep, they don't run no-kill shelters.

They voted Andre 3000 as the sexiest vegetarian one year, but it turns out he still wears fur :?:

I don't know about their tactics sometimes, on one hand they shed some light on the cruel treatment on animals, but then I hear things where they do things to hurt animals or aren't always supporting them.

JuliaDH
08-19-2009, 11:03 AM
This promotion just reinforces how many "cliques" in society continue to discriminate against obese people.

Haley8203
08-19-2009, 01:45 PM

im a fat vegan

beerab
08-19-2009, 05:38 PM
Just ridiculous and uncalled for. Makes me dislike them more...

I have friends who are vegetarian who are overweight- it's very easy to get fat off of eating too many carbs.

nelie
08-19-2009, 05:48 PM
Carbs aren't the problem, its calories. Whether you are vegan, vegetarian or on the other side of the spectrum, you can eat too much and thus be fat.

JuliaDH
08-19-2009, 06:49 PM
Carbs aren't the problem, its calories. Whether you are vegan, vegetarian or on the other side of the spectrum, you can eat too much and thus be fat.

Yep a calorie is a calorie does not matter what the is source. A calorie is the measurement of how much energy is in food right?

Revised to include a defination - Calorie = Food energy is the amount of energy in food that is available through digestion.

Robot
08-19-2009, 07:36 PM
As a vegan I CANNOT stand PETA and the tactics they use. They're also incredibly inconsistent with the messages they send and they make it hard for the real animal rights activists to come across with any amount of sense. Oh how I wish people would quit giving them money.

I agree. I'm vegan as well and PeTA gets on my nerves.

IgetfitNStrongforme
08-20-2009, 02:43 AM
They are so lame, do they really think calling people names is going to make them stop eating meat? And it's not just meat they want everyone to stop eating but dairy because it's cruel to milk a cow, and no honey because it's cruel to the bees to take thier honey, and no wearing silk because silk worms are killed to make the silk (it's a flipping worm people) and no horseback riding and as I have no cowboy to ride I really want to keep my horse Clover. Just read their mission statement, they have lost their blooming minds! :dizzy:

thisisnotatest
08-20-2009, 09:10 AM
While a calorie is a calorie, I never sat on the couch and downed a box of steaks...

I also never assume vegetarians are peta supporters. There are only 1/2 meat eaters in my circle of friends and we don't even know of anyone who supports peta.

This ad is upsetting. Its just one more group saying it has to be one way-our way.
Maybe they can do PR for bin laden.

harrismm
08-20-2009, 09:27 AM
im a fat vegan
LOL!!!!!

Fat Chick B Gone
08-20-2009, 12:37 PM
They are so lame, do they really think calling people names is going to make them stop eating meat? And it's not just meat they want everyone to stop eating but dairy because it's cruel to milk a cow, and no honey because it's cruel to the bees to take thier honey, and no wearing silk because silk worms are killed to make the silk (it's a flipping worm people) and no horseback riding and as I have no cowboy to ride I really want to keep my horse Clover. Just read their mission statement, they have lost their blooming minds! :dizzy:

While I agree that PETA isn't the best representation of animal rights activism, I certainly am not okay with you calling all the vegans on this board crazy. Excuse me, you said we'd "lost our blooming minds". Just because I choose to be a compassionate person and live without harming others, others including other species, does not make me in anyway crazy. Just because it's a "flipping" worm to you doesn't mean you need it's silk to survive or to even be happy. That's the point of veganim - not causing harm. For whatever reason some desire to call us crazy - that's your issue not mine. Please refrain from tossing those terms around, thanks.

Stepping off :soap: now.

JulieJ08
08-20-2009, 01:07 PM
I don't agree with everything she said or the tone. But ... she clearly said PETA lost their blooming minds, not all vegans, on this board or anywhere.

Onederchic
08-20-2009, 01:08 PM
I agree ^

Fat Chick B Gone
08-20-2009, 01:11 PM
I'm pretty sure it was implied, however as all things written on forums tone and intent can easily be misread.

nelie
08-20-2009, 01:14 PM
While a calorie is a calorie, I never sat on the couch and downed a box of steaks...

Have you ever sat on the couch and downed a box of beans? or box of quinoa? or a box of cauliflower?

Whatever vegetarians eat, meat eaters can eat. My diet is 70% carbs and I have PCOS and I've maintained and recently started losing after I incorporated more grains into my diet.

nelie
08-20-2009, 01:20 PM
While I agree that PETA isn't the best representation of animal rights activism, I certainly am not okay with you calling all the vegans on this board crazy. Excuse me, you said we'd "lost our blooming minds". Just because I choose to be a compassionate person and live without harming others, others including other species, does not make me in anyway crazy. Just because it's a "flipping" worm to you doesn't mean you need it's silk to survive or to even be happy. That's the point of veganim - not causing harm. For whatever reason some desire to call us crazy - that's your issue not mine. Please refrain from tossing those terms around, thanks.

I agree that I thought the post was a bit offensive. I would recommend someone who doesn't understand the vegan perspective to look at the meat industry, look at the dairy industry, look even at the honey and silk industry as well. It isn't just not about milking a cow, it is about mistreating cows and then ending their lives long before the natural time frame. Dairy cows can live to be 20 years. A dairy industry cow? They barely last 3 or 4 years. Lots of time it is because they are so stressed and worn out, which is why they can no longer stand many times near the end of their dairy days. How is it natural for them? How is it natural for us?

The dairy industry also sells us that dairy is healthy but I hardly think it is healthy. There are plenty of health concerns with dairy but they are hidden behind $$$.

beerab
08-20-2009, 03:17 PM
Oops I meant to write calories not carbs :) I think I was craving some bread when I wrote this lol!

Misora
08-20-2009, 03:26 PM
I would also like to point out that vegen doesn't neccesarily mean good for animals either. Ever google the impact of large scale farming on local wildlife populations? Small animals are attracted by droves into fields which they then send giant harvesters through. Secret of NIMH- magicy powers. :P I would rather eat local with mostly hand harvested items including meat. Who am I kidding though? I mostly shop at regular grocery stores. But if it really bothered me I would be going local before going vegan again.

Onederchic
08-20-2009, 03:33 PM
Oops I meant to write calories not carbs :) I think I was craving some bread when I wrote this lol!

:rofl:

nelie
08-20-2009, 03:52 PM
I would also like to point out that vegen doesn't neccesarily mean good for animals either. Ever google the impact of large scale farming on local wildlife populations? Small animals are attracted by droves into fields which they then send giant harvesters through. Secret of NIMH- magicy powers. :P I would rather eat local with mostly hand harvested items including meat. Who am I kidding though? I mostly shop at regular grocery stores. But if it really bothered me I would be going local before going vegan again.

Well factory farming itself is very problematic. Animal waste is poisoning ground water and affecting local populations. Also, where do you think the food for the animals comes from? It takes a large amount of food to raise animals. I think I've read it takes 9 lbs (or more) of grain to yield 1 lb of meat.

thisisnotatest
08-20-2009, 05:09 PM
"Have you ever sat on the couch and downed a box of beans? or box of quinoa? or a box of cauliflower?"

Heck yeah!:)
I make a fabulous quinoa and lentil dish (similar to rice and beans) that I can totally pig out on. Also cauliflower with cheese sauce, or a garlic sauce I make.

Ofcourse these foods are certainly safer for me then cookies and cake, not to mention super nutritional power houses.

btw, while I dont really like nutritional labels for the sake of this post--I am a vegetarian. My diet does consist mostly of carbs as well. I think most peoples diet naturally have more carbs then protein unless you're on program that focuses on keeping your protein at a higher level.

My point was that you can be a vegan, vegetarian, meat eater, what have you and still be fat. And personally, for me, it is much easier for me to over indulge in vegetarian foods (of all kinds) then big hunks of meat.

beerab
08-20-2009, 05:25 PM
Haha onederchick I'm so embarassed now!! :o

nelie
08-20-2009, 06:02 PM
"Have you ever sat on the couch and downed a box of beans? or box of quinoa? or a box of cauliflower?"

Heck yeah!:)
I make a fabulous quinoa and lentil dish (similar to rice and beans) that I can totally pig out on. Also cauliflower with cheese sauce, or a garlic sauce I make.

Ofcourse these foods are certainly safer for me then cookies and cake, not to mention super nutritional power houses.

btw, while I dont really like nutritional labels for the sake of this post--I am a vegetarian. My diet does consist mostly of carbs as well. I think most peoples diet naturally have more carbs then protein unless you're on program that focuses on keeping your protein at a higher level.

My point was that you can be a vegan, vegetarian, meat eater, what have you and still be fat. And personally, for me, it is much easier for me to over indulge in vegetarian foods (of all kinds) then big hunks of meat.

Well cheese and fatty products are not carbs. I would say that it is easy to eat large amount of calories whether they are most carbs or fat. Although when I was a meat eater, I didn't think anything of eating a large hunks of meat.

If we want to lose weight/maintain weight loss, we have to control our calories no matter what the source.

kiahna23
08-20-2009, 06:41 PM
Thats a trip...PETA is getting overboard with that one....And I have seen fat vegans...Like that one guy who ate like 200 oranges everyday! He got overweight from eating oranges....

thisisnotatest
08-20-2009, 08:31 PM
"Well cheese and fatty products are not carbs"

really--thanks for clearing that one up!
:)

EZMONEY
08-20-2009, 09:27 PM
The only way to settle this mess is we all go on a hunger strike...

last one standing can eat whatever they want! :)

nelie
08-20-2009, 10:10 PM
"Well cheese and fatty products are not carbs"

really--thanks for clearing that one up!
:)

I wasn't trying to be snarky. I was just trying to say sitting down and eating tons of carbs is different than eating carbs loaded with tons of fat. So cauliflower itself really can't be overeaten while it with added fat is a different story.

IgetfitNStrongforme
08-21-2009, 12:26 AM

Let me correct you, I didn't call vegans crazy, I said this about PETA's manifesto "they lost their blooming minds". I separate vegans from the organization known as PETA because I know from my vegan friends that not every vegan stands behind PETA's manifesto. But you are not a member of PETA, are you? What I am saying is that PETA is trying to step on everyone’s right to choose (just like a woman's right to choose) and insulting people right and left. Tossing red paint, pie throwing, and manure dumping on people are not the actions of an organization intent on causing no harm. I personally don't eat red meat and I am against abortion, but that's my choice and my views and I would never ever tell another how to live their life or what to eat. I think everyone can agree we want every animal raised for food to be treated humanly, but PETA takes it to a level where there is no common sense and often contradict their own supposed beliefs, again I am taking about PETA not all vegans. Shockingly PETA is against the no kill movement and euthanizes most of the animals surrendered to them. And this one, is at odds with the no kill movement they believe in, PETA regularly asks towns and cities to change their names. In April 2003, they offered free veggie burgers to the city of Hamburg, New York, in exchange for changing its name to Veggieburg. It campaigned in 1996 to have the town of Fishkill, New York, change its name, claiming the name suggests cruelty to fish. (The root "kill", found in many New York town names, is Dutch for "creek.") These are just few of the things PETA has done and believes in and I could go on and on with PETA antics. I am very sorry if I offended you with my right to voice strong disagreement with PETA actions and beliefs, not all vegans just PETA.

Strangely Ingrid Newkirk the women, who runs PETA and is against the no kill movement that euthanizes most of the animals surrendered to them, said this:
"Even if animal research resulted in a cure for AIDS, we'd be against it.”
—Ingrid Newkirk, PETA President

No one wants to see an animal suffer, but at what cost to humanity. -Igetfitnstrongforme

Onederchic
08-21-2009, 12:33 AM
The only way to settle this mess is we all go on a hunger strike...

last one standing can eat whatever they want! :)

Okay, I'm in!

nelie
08-21-2009, 09:13 AM
IgetFitNStrongforme - I think we are all saying the same thing :) FatChickBGone and I were just saying there are valid reasons to give up animal products although PETA is definitely not the best representative to present those reasons.

Minya
08-21-2009, 11:18 AM
I really think PETA needs to think about the Ethical Treatment of Humans sometimes too... :/ As a vegetarian, I don't support these guys.

nelie
08-21-2009, 11:19 AM
A friend of mine is looking at making a pin that says "Animals for the Ethical treatment of women"

Minya
08-21-2009, 11:28 AM
LOL thats a great idea, tell your friend she has my support! Can I have a button?

beerab
08-21-2009, 02:23 PM
200 oranges! Who has time to peel and eat 200 oranges! Correct me if I'm wrong but I though Vitamin C in large quantities is bad for you...

Nursie2b
08-23-2009, 04:08 AM
It really doesn't surprise me that they have gone as far as the billboard and the KKK imagery. I was a vegetarian for a very long time and I didn't want anything to do with PETA as well as many vegetarian people I know. I really think that they go with the old adage of "Any publicity is good publicity. Even if it's bad."

WSChick
08-23-2009, 04:11 AM
PETA is full of loonies !

helwa588
08-23-2009, 07:01 AM
i think PETA showed how extreme they really were when they complained about Obama killing a fly.

I love animals but i think PETA is an evil organization for a number of reasons. one of my main problems with them is that they target children. they tell kids stuff like "your mother is killing chickens". PETA even made this one children's game called "cooking mama kills" which had all types of violence it with one of the parts of the game you had to cut a turkey head off.

on top of that PETA are hypocrites. they put more animals to sleep than any other animal rights organization. they are against animal testing and refuse to use drugs that were tested on animals. yet the vice president of PETA takes insulin which it's well known that it was first tested on chimps. when she was asked about it she just said "well i need my insulin to fight for the animals." instead of admitting animal drug testing has benefits she states something silly like that. as if she's some savior to animals or something.

and the they result to insulting people to get their message across like this one. they act as if they are no obese vegans.

Jacquie668
09-21-2009, 08:09 PM
PETA has always been "extreme" and it gets to the point where they just try to get people to go "oh my god look look." There are other groups that are doing good and not going to such, to me, immature extremes just to get attention. It doesn't make sense to me. I look at the billboard and I don't get angry or upset...I just find it ridiculous. What is the message? What are you saying to me? Are you wanting me to be a member or supporter of PETA? Do you want me to be a vegetarian? What I'm trying to say is that I look at the sign and I roll my eyes and I go further away from PETA and whatever message they are trying to "shock" me into.

1. I gained a HECK of a lot of weight as a vegetarian so the billboard is not only pointless it completely lacks a message of health to me.

2. I'm a mixture of vegan and raw foodist, but even if I wasn't I'm not going to pay attention to what PETA has to say about what they think I should be eating.

3. I remember PETA running a campaign years back, maybe they are still doing, where they were advocating vegan animals. I was like "What?"

I guess what I'm saying is that I can't take PETA seriously for what I think are obvious reasons. I also am not a fan nor a supporter. I care about animal rights, I have deeply rooted opinions on it, but I am also realistic. Etc...

Besides with all the stars they herd together that claim to be supporters and then they are taking photos with furs and eating vats of meat, whatever. lol...

EZMONEY
09-21-2009, 08:16 PM
Last week-end I was behind a car in San Diego that had a Ronald McDonald sticker with "devil horns"...I assume (I could be wrong here) that it was a PETA thing...

almost went right to McDonald's and ordered a burger!

harrismm
09-21-2009, 08:35 PM
You devil EZ!

EZMONEY
09-21-2009, 09:15 PM
You devil EZ!

Yep...but Angie wouldn't let me go...we went for burgers and beers at a sports bar and watched college football....not a bad thing.