Old 08-18-2009, 04:36 AM   #1  

S/C/G: 282/257/182

Height: 5'6"

Default Low bg levels

It seems like lately my bg levels drop rapidly mid-afternoon. I usually only check my am fasting levels, but lately I've been feeling a bit jittery and lightheaded in the afternoon sometimes and when I've checked my bg its been 65/67/72 - each reading on a different day and not consecutive days. Is this too low? Since I only take 500mg. of metformin in the evening, it shouldn't be related right?

Just wondering.

karla
pkmom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2009, 09:05 AM   #2  
kathi

S/C/G: 172/172/140

Height: 5'3"

I find mine drops mid-morning, usually if I don't eat enough carbs for breakfast or if I don't get a snack in. I've been told to make sure I eat some protein with every meal/snack and it's easier to keep my bg on an even keel if I eat frequent small meals and snacks. Have you changed anything you normally do like eating less frequently or exercising more?
weightlosswanted is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2009, 02:22 AM   #3  

S/C/G: 282/257/182

Height: 5'6"

No, haven't changed anything dramatically that I know of.
That said, I ended up in the urgent care Saturday because I hurt my knee and figured while I was there I'd have them check my weight. I'm down to 257! Explains the leveling off of the am bg readings, but I can't imagine that causing drops so dramatic. Hmmm....
pkmom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2009, 02:34 PM   #4  

Height: 5' 7 1/2"

My husband is on metformin at 500 mg, too. He takes it after a good hearty breakfast. He has had a bg level in the sixties in the mid day, 3-4 hours after eating. This is all new to us, and thankfully the nurses aid at the clinic is a distant relative and a customer I see on a regular basis. I just asked her about this and she told me that the normal range is 65-120, and that if he goes lower he should heat something small with a high GI, like a piece of hard candy or a little bit of orange juice. We're thinking his meds might get lowered or eliminated after his next a1c. His first was 6.8. That was six or so ago. We have to wait until Dec. for another one. His fasting bg in the morning is around 95 or so most days, now. A month ago it was usually around 115+.
peasandcarrots is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2009, 02:35 PM   #5  

Height: 5' 7 1/2"

six or so *weeks* ago.
peasandcarrots is offline   Reply With Quote