Old 08-16-2009, 04:01 PM   #1  

S/C/G: 209/see ticker/135

Height: 5'4"

Default Coping with being overweight

I realize what I am doing is lame. But I have isolated away from friends and family because of my weight gain. I don't really want anyone who knows me to see what has become of me. I haven't even seen my father in 2 years because of this and have made excuses not to see old friends and former colleagues.

I have lost some weight and feel better about that....but it will be a few months before I am at a point that I am not completely depressed over.

Any thoughts?
cheekiemonkey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2009, 04:13 PM   #2  
Started IP: 1/16/13

S/C/G: 228.6/see ticker/128

Height: 5' 5"

Default You're not alone!

I don't know if I have any words of wisdom for you, but I can tell you that you're not alone. As my weight has gone up over the years, I have become more and more of a hermit. I avoid social gatherings because nothing looks nice and I dread running into people I haven't seen in years because I hate how much weight I've gained. I do feel a bit better since I've started losing weight. There is just so much judgement towards people who are overweight. You do find out who your true friends are. People who really love you can care about you, won't judge you based on your size. Hang in there!
animallover is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2009, 06:03 PM   #3  
Soul Cyster

S/C/G: 235/seeticker/135

Height: 5'3"

I too have done things like avoid going places- I have a friend who is always at the beach and he invites me and my husband and I'm like I'll pass.

I mean really ME at the beach? In a bathing suit?! Are they crazy!?

As I've lost weight I've felt more confident and even mentioned to my husband I'd like to go bike riding at the beach- he was so amazed he went out bought me a helmet, riding gloves, a bike rack for my car, AND he's taking me to get a bike today lol!

Don't avoid your family- I'm sure they miss you very much
beerab is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2009, 06:15 PM   #4  

S/C/G: HW/232 SW 215/ CW 133/GW 120's

Height: 5.7 and 1/2

I can only speak from my own experiences. That feeling you are describing--it started leaving me after I was eating clean and taking care of myself. I still had lots of weight to lose, but I felt better about me. I started caring for myself and learning to accept myself for the very first time. Because of that, I was able to open my heart again and let the sunshine in that was always intended to be there! My suggestion is to really work your plan--nutrition wise and activity wise. Next, start caring for your body and mind like you would for someone you dearly, dearly cherished and loved.

Please let us know how things are going.
Thighs Be Gone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2009, 08:08 PM   #5  
Heidi

S/C/G: 204.5/149/153

Height: 5'7"

I do know the feeling, worrying about having to watch someone react to the weight you've put on, even if they don't say anything... But you need to just take the deep breath, do it, and get it over with. Your friends and family love you for you, not for your appearance. Think of how much joy and support you are missing out on...

newleaf123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2009, 11:03 PM   #6  

S/C/G: SW:394/310/180

Height: 5'6"

Please don't let your weight rob you of a life. You're entitled to one, no matter what your size.

Self-talk is a choice. You have the right and the ability to talk to yourself with kindness and respect. It'll seem a bit schizophrenic at first, but the only way to do it, is to do it.

Get out in the world and enjoy it. Join classes and clubs, meet people, catch up with old friends and make a life for yourself. You are worthy of it, and if you have to say it to youself 10,000 times a day to believe it - then do it.
kaplods is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2009, 09:55 AM   #7  
Recovering Pantry Pest

S/C/G: 174.5/162/149

Height: 5'7"

Yep - I thought I was the only Queen of Negative Self-Talk before I came here and found out how prevalent it is. The good news is that we have the ability to shut that talk off and replace it ... and you will find that it is easier with each day that you treat your body well with food and exercise. In the meantime, as Wisewoman Kaplods says - get out and LIVE YOUR LIFE. There is now, and there is the future ... forgive, move on, and claim your place in the world!
ICUwishing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2009, 03:20 PM   #8  

S/C/G: 300/300/200

Hi all
i am new here and amfeeling the exact same things. I have sheltered myself from all people except my parents. because they live in the same building.i have stopped having parties(i used to do all the occasions) and also going to parties.i am at the end of my rope.
notsoperfectlyplump is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2009, 02:32 AM   #9  

Thank you for all the advice and thoughts everybody. I definitely do feel better when I am staying on plan with my eating and exercise. I have to get over the avoiding people part.......
Old 08-19-2009, 10:32 PM   #10  

S/C/G: 290/280/150

Height: 5' 7"

Your not alone on this one. The only place I go is to work and back home. It's just an awful feeling. There are times when I don't want to get out of bed. I think that's why I work second shift. Less people.
jrsygrl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2009, 11:49 PM   #11  

jrsygrl--not wanting to get out of bed is a big sign of depression. And when you are depressed it is 100X harder to take proper care of yourself with eating properly and getting exercise. So it is a vicious cycle. If you are depressed I hope you consult with a doctor. I suffer from depression and I think gaining so much weight made me more depressed. I have been on a good exercise program for the past 4 months and golf 2 days a week which gets me in the sun and it helps me a lot. I just don't want to see people who will see that I gained so much weight.
Old 08-21-2009, 12:24 PM   #12  
candygirl4

S/C/G: 325lbs/295lbs/250 for now

Height: 5'7''

Wow so many of you sound just like me, I am certainly not happy about the pain that everyone is feeling but it is kind of a relief to find people who are feeling the same way I am!
candygirl4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2009, 07:48 PM   #13  
Never surrender

S/C/G: 251 current/237 minigoal/180

Height: 5' 9"

I personally think it helps with the weight loss to have those connections with family and friends, and to be out doing things, whatever it is you like. Believe me, so many people have to deal with ups and downs in their weights, and even if they don't personally, they most likely have someone close to them who does.

I just went on vacation to see relatives, and part of that involved getting on amusement park rides (something I haven't done in 20 some years), and seeing pics of myself on a big screen tv with the whole family (!!) Yes, there's a part of that I found embarrassing, but then I wouldn't trade the experience of having fun with my cousin and her little girls, and as difficult as it was looking at my beefy arms and legs on a 40" screen, I did it with people I loved and who love me, and nobody cared, we were together.
dragonwoman64 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2009, 08:09 PM   #14  

Height: 5'2

I think it's important to remember that even though you may be overweight, that isn't your IDENTITY!

For example... I might be a larger person- but you know what else? I'm also a daughter, and an aunt, and a sister, and a journalism student, and a friend, and a feminist etc etc.

There are many components that make up your identity, and I can promise you that it is THOSE things- and not your size- that make people love you.

Your friends and family don't want to see you because they think you maybe thin, they want to see you because you make them laugh or you're compassionate or you're easy to talk to (etc), and they enjoy being around you.

They love you for who you are. NOT what you look like.

I think that you will find that you will feel a lot less depressed once you open yourself up to the love and support that your friends and family want to give you.

The people in your life obviously want to spend time with you, and that tells me that you are a beautiful person - They can see that, now you just have to try and see it too
rose89 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2009, 10:04 PM   #15  
Eat Less Move More

S/C/G: 186/164/125

Height: 5'3"

In many ways I was where you are when I first joined 3FC. This is a post of mine from that first week back in December. The good news is I don't feel that way now and I NEVER have to again.

You are here now and I can guarantee if you eat right and exercise you too never have to feel this way again.

Here is my post:
"I too am new to the boards but not new to going on "plan". Your current situation is much like my own before I hit this seven year all time low. In those seven years I have yo yo'd my way up to a high of 194 (last year) from 125.

I have struggled with weight issues since I was a child and I know from experience being fit changes my life for the better. Like you I have a good life; a husband that loves me unconditionally, a son & DIL that gave me a beautiful grandson, and the time and money to do what I want (within reason). But the fact is I almost never leave the house, the husband that loves me unconditionally is neglected, and if I don't change things that grandbaby will be attending his mema's funeral.

I so want this to be the last time that I feel and look this way. That is why I am here."
CruiseCAT is offline   Reply With Quote