100 lb. Club - Flying and weight?

View Full Version : Flying and weight?

girlonfire
08-14-2009, 05:56 PM
I have heard that taking long plane flights causes you to retain water and therefore possibly gain weight. Is this true? I definitely bloat and swell when I fly, I can't even fit into my shoes :(.

Also, my scale magically switched to kilograms. Going to change my ticker while I'm abroad so I don't have to keep doing caculations :D

Jadebatdog
08-14-2009, 06:17 PM
I have heard that flying make you dehydrated which would cause you to retain water.

toastedsmoke
08-14-2009, 06:20 PM
I have heard that flying make you dehydrated which would cause you to retain water.

I heard that too. And I think it's probably true because your skin always feels drier and your face and feet puffier.

I too have the tighter shoe sensation on landing. I don't know how people who travel in heels do it.

newfette
08-14-2009, 06:21 PM
I have heard that taking long plane flights causes you to retain water and therefore possibly gain weight. Is this true? I definitely bloat and swell when I fly, I can't even fit into my shoes :(.

Also, my scale magically switched to kilograms. Going to change my ticker while I'm abroad so I don't have to keep doing caculations :D

oh that happened to my poor feet when i flew to florida in april. I'd NEVER seen my feet swell like that before. but after i got home and got rehydrated and was careful about the lever of sodium in my diet they went back to normal

JayEll
08-14-2009, 06:25 PM
Water weight isn't what you need to worry about--it's FAT weight. Water weight disappears once you start moving again and drink enough water to eliminate excess salt. Fat weight is another problem... ;) And you don't gain that just from a plane ride, fortunately.

Jay

girlonfire
08-14-2009, 06:28 PM
The only shoes I can fit into right now are my flip-flops.

I love it here! I walked for 5 HOURS today and when I entered in my exercise, I put in 4 and it says I burned 1700 calories. Yay Paris! And the Metro stairs are giving me buns of steel lol

paris81
08-14-2009, 08:37 PM
Yes, it totally makes you retain water! Horrid flights (esp those long ones)

Yay metro! Watch out for your buns of steel--men are pretty grabby over there!

ubergirl
08-14-2009, 08:43 PM
Long car rides make my feet swell and boy are you lucky to be in Paris!

SunshineCA
08-14-2009, 09:49 PM
I guess it all depends on how long is long. However long you're on the plane, make sure you walk around often. Walk the aisles, go to the restroom as often as you can, wear comfortable clothes and shoes, flip flops or bare feet if you like. Even exercise in your seat. I'd go for an aisle seat, emergency row or the first row of the plane so you could stretch.

I recently went to Philadelphia for almost 2 weeks. When I returned home late Sunday night I found that I actually lost weight/inches. I guess it all depends on what you do while on the plane and while you're away. Stay active either way and you should be fine. Also, be sure to stay on plan no matter how tempting.

Most of all, enjoy. :)