Weight Loss Support - Losing respect for Jillian....

View Full Version : Losing respect for Jillian....

EveLHaelf
08-14-2009, 01:47 PM
As I'm checking my email this morning, something GNC sent me catches my eye: "New Jillian Michaels Diet Pills!" .....HUH?....:listen: I shake off the shock and click on the link to find that She now has a "fat burner" "Calorie control" and "body detox." I really could have sworn that in her books she preaches about how most diet pills aren't safe and most don't work. So why oh why would she put her name on some? I googled the pills and found this link

http://www.dietpills.org/diet-pill-reviews/jillian-michaels-extreme-quickstart-rapid-weight-loss-program

I'm a bit dissappointed in her...:no:

nelie
08-14-2009, 01:57 PM
Wow, she has made some very bad moves and this is really bad. The pill is also pretty dangerous given the ingredients. I recognized a number of ingredients that really should not be taken by anyone.

jamiewyn
08-14-2009, 01:58 PM
Ugh. That IS disappointing. :(

Pita09
08-14-2009, 02:14 PM
Yup, I was just saying the other day how we are seeing her face on more and more products. She is one rich woman. :rolleyes:

beerab
08-14-2009, 02:15 PM
Is it real though? That's like those one pills that claimed to be endorsed by Oprah and Dr. Oz and it wasn't true.

aphrodite
08-14-2009, 02:23 PM
Is it real though? That's like those one pills that claimed to be endorsed by Oprah and Dr. Oz and it wasn't true.

That's what I was thinking. I hope it's not true. :(

nelie
08-14-2009, 02:26 PM
They have her picture on it and name on the product. It is different to say "endorsed by so and so" than to actually create a picture and use someone's name on a product. It is an insta lawsuit.

kiramira
08-14-2009, 02:32 PM
Something doesn't smell quite right...I'll bet her image has been coopted for profit...something legal's gonna go down I'll bet...

Kira

EveLHaelf
08-14-2009, 02:35 PM
I REALLY hope that she isn't behind all this. I really looked up to her and loved watching her on the biggest loser.

rachinma
08-14-2009, 02:41 PM
http://www.jillianmichaels.com/products.aspx

Sylvied
08-14-2009, 02:41 PM
It certainly doesn't match the rest of what she does. If it's true, it seems like a crazy move to me since so much of her stuff focuses on keeping it natural.

Weird.

kiramira
08-14-2009, 02:46 PM
OK, so now I'm TOTALLY irritated...

After all the blah blah blah about NATURAL weight loss, she comes up with THIS????

:(

Kira

pintobean
08-14-2009, 02:53 PM
I'm a member of jillianmichaels.com.

This is what she posted on her blog and I am copying/pasting it here:

----------------------------------------------

Hi guys, Apparently there has been some commotion on my Facebook page about the weight loss line I am launching. I love a scandal. :) I wanted to come here and clarify for ya.

First off, this isn't an endorsement deal. It's MY line. It was my idea and I created the products with the top bariatrics doctors in the world. And I do mean the world. These are some of the same doctors I have been working with for years to help me with Biggest Loser and my books — especially Master Your Metabolism. I have ALWAYS been an advocate of supplementation. Not as a total solution, but as a means to accelerate weight loss, and enhance your performance in every aspect of your life be it metabolic, immunity, antiaging and so on. For reference, you can take a look at Making the Cut (pp. 251-262), where I talked about which supplements work and which don't. In my latest book, Master Your Metabolism, I talked about natural ingredients that can boost metabolic function, like caffeine, vitamin C, and zinc. For years I have advocated the use of caffeine and white willow bark to increase performance in the gym and speed metabolism. I have recommended fiber blends to help curb appetite. I have referred people to different multivitamins, fat burners, protein powders, bars, drinks, etc.

The problem for me was that every line out there has stuff in it I don't like. There are artificial colorings in the gel caps, or artificial sweeteners in the protein powders. There is soy in all the protein bars. Often the ingredients in the supplements aren't combined properly so they are not effective and so on. There is NOTHING, and I do mean NOTHING, harmful in these products. They are all natural. Have a look at the ingredients: Calorie Control: Yerba Mate leaf, Coffee (bean) Extract (Coffea arabica) - standardized to 70% natural caffeine ,Guarana (seed) Extract (Paullinia Conjugated Linoleic Acid (CLA) ** Fat Burner: White Willow (bark) Powder (Salix alba), Grapefruit (fruit) Extract, Bitter Orange (fruit) Extract , Blood Orange (fruit) Extract, Sweet Orange (fruit) Extract, Coleus forskohlii (leaf) Extract, Forskohlin , Tribulus terrestris (root) Extract - standardized to 20% steroidal saponins ) - caffeine Cocoa (seed) Extract
All Natural stuff, no drugs, no chemicals. They even have the perfect amount of caffeine. No more than 200 mg so you won't release stress hormone. Frankly...they are awesome.

With all that said, you still MUST eat right and work out. This stuff is just meant to make to support your body while training and accelerate your results. Ok, that’s all for now. Have a killer weekend! Xo
j
Published: Friday, July 31, 2009

-------------------------------

nelie
08-14-2009, 02:53 PM
She is going for the hard sell
http://www.jillianmichaelsweightloss.com/?cid=JMTAWaFrProdText

nelie
08-14-2009, 02:59 PM
I am taking the pertinent stuff out to just focus on the ingredients and her claim.

This is what she posted on her blog and I am copying/pasting it here:

----------------------------------------------

There is NOTHING, and I do mean NOTHING, harmful in these products. They are all natural. Have a look at the ingredients: Calorie Control: Yerba Mate leaf, Coffee (bean) Extract (Coffea arabica) - standardized to 70% natural caffeine ,Guarana (seed) Extract (Paullinia Conjugated Linoleic Acid (CLA) ** Fat Burner: White Willow (bark) Powder (Salix alba), Grapefruit (fruit) Extract, Bitter Orange (fruit) Extract , Blood Orange (fruit) Extract, Sweet Orange (fruit) Extract, Coleus forskohlii (leaf) Extract, Forskohlin , Tribulus terrestris (root) Extract - standardized to 20% steroidal saponins ) - caffeine Cocoa (seed) Extract
Published: Friday, July 31, 2009

-------------------------------

Ok she is so full of BS. White Willow bark powder, grapefruit extract, bitter orange extract, blood orange extract and sweet orange extract are definitely dangerous. The orange extract is one of consumer reports 'dirty dozen'. White Willow bark has a lot of contradictions with prescribed medications.

Edited to add - went and looked up Forskohlin and it too is potentially dangerous, especially if you already take any medication. Tribulus terrestris is also used to increase testosterone production. Do we really need that?

These are things I've looked up in the past. I'm betting she didn't formulate this pill but is somehow required to sell it or she is just trying to milk her fame.

pintobean
08-14-2009, 03:13 PM
...Ok she is so full of BS. White Willow bark powder, grapefruit extract, bitter orange extract, blood orange extract and sweet orange extract are definitely dangerous. The orange extract is one of consumer reports 'dirty dozen'. White Willow bark has a lot of contradictions with prescribed medications.

Edited to add - went and looked up Forskohlin and it too is potentially dangerous, especially if you already take any medication. Tribulus terrestris is also used to increase testosterone production. Do we really need that?...

Interesting...I never thought orange extract would be a bad thing. Good to know. If you don't mind can you post any research links for the above? Thanks :)

...These are things I've looked up in the past. I'm betting she didn't formulate this pill but is somehow required to sell it or she is just trying to milk her fame.

I'm sure it's a mix of both there. It's just sad.

HotWings
08-14-2009, 03:18 PM
I had a look at her page. I am totally surprised that she is now pushing pills. Just because it is all natural, doesn't mean it is safe - as nelie pointed out quite nicely. I'm just going to keep plodding along without using supplements (except my good ol' multi-vitamin). My trust in what Jillian says has gone down quite a bit, though. Kinda sad - I thought she was one of the people that wasn't just out to make a buck.

Sylvied
08-14-2009, 03:29 PM
I find it interesting that we are being given the impression (and not just here, many other products do this too) that because the ingredients are natural and we can pronounce then, the product is somehow safe. There are some pretty dangerous plants out there.

I guess she considers this "natural"... um, I don't particularly agree but I was never planning to buy this sort of thing anyway.

It is too bad though since I like her videos and her workouts have been effective for me.

kiramira
08-14-2009, 03:33 PM
Foxglove is a flower, from which we get Digitalis, a potent and lethal substance.
Deadly nightshade is a plant, and is, well, deadly.
Hemlock -- need I say more?

So if I prepare a pill that is all natural, with no chemicals or preservatives, and it has foxglove, deadly nightshade and hemlock in it, is it safe???

The side effects of these plant extracts can lead to serious, serious side effects -- cardiac, kidney, liver effects that can't be cured. Just remember the Ma Huang issue...

I'm really disappointed...

Kira

nelie
08-14-2009, 03:34 PM
Pinto -
Here is an article from the mayo clinic
http://www.mayoclinic.com/health/bitter-orange/AN01218

and here is a copy of the Consumer Reports overview.
http://www.consumersunion.org/pdf/dirtydozen1.pdf

Basically bitter orange extract and variations are a natural version of ephedra which has been banned on the markets due to deaths/health risks.

Bitter orange (aka Citrus aurantium, green orange, kijitsu, neroli oil, seville orange, shangzhou, zhiqiao, sour orange, zhi oiao, zhi xhi) can cause high blood pressure, icreased risk of heart arrythmias, heart attack and stroke.

mandalinn82
08-14-2009, 03:45 PM
She has always been pro-supplementation, and it has always bothered me, ever since I read Making the Cut.

This is sad, though, because she built up a whole message board (like 3FC, but paid) of followers, and I'm sure she's pitching like crazy there. She basically has guru status with a lot of people who will do whatever she suggests, and I just don't think this suggestion is in the best interest of the people reading.

Really, really disappointing that it has a dirty dozen ingredient. I mean, willow bark and caffeine, fine (unless you're aspirin sensitive, in which case, the willow bark is a different thing) - it's basically the same as taking an Excedrin, minus the tylenol. But BITTER ORANGE? Ugh.

pintobean
08-14-2009, 03:46 PM
Thank you, Nelie.

And, I agree, I am very disappointed with all her pill pushing as well. I really liked her and thought she is different as she always said eat healthy, whole grains, natural and exercise.

Onederchic
08-14-2009, 04:15 PM
Ahh, this saddens me too. I really believed she was about more than fame and fortune. I reckon I was wrong :(

PammyFl
08-14-2009, 04:45 PM
In all honesty I have never been a huge fan of hers. Once she started pushing books and dvds it to me seemed she was already milking the cow. Now don't get me wrong I have some of her dvds that I do enjoy working out with I just never have been one to think she was out to "Help people" and not herself. It is upsetting to see this but I must say im not really that shocked.

JayEll
08-14-2009, 05:56 PM
I'm with Pammy. I have never liked her approach. She's way too macho and sadistic about the whole thing, and I blame her personally for that woman on Biggest Loser who cracked her hip doing those high-impact exercises Jillian insists on.

I've always seen her as a performer, not a trainer, and she's obviously in it to make money. There's nothing wrong with making money, but there is something wrong about doing the same thing everyone else does, only giving it a spin to make it sound OK. (Also known as lying?) Just my opinion.

Getting down now. :soap:

Jay

chickybird
08-14-2009, 06:02 PM
I just liked how she said, "Have a killer weekend" on her FB page. Anyone else catch that irony, given the stuff in those pills?

kuhrisuh
08-14-2009, 06:13 PM
How disappointing! .. and shocking :( Especially with all the research you guys did with the ingredients.. I can hardly believe it! :o

Aclai4067
08-14-2009, 06:24 PM
In all honesty I have never been a huge fan of hers. Once she started pushing books and dvds it to me seemed she was already milking the cow... It is upsetting to see this but I must say im not really that shocked.

agreed

HeatherEljohari
08-14-2009, 07:17 PM
well yeah once you get some popularity and gain a couple of million bux why not create something to gain a few more and only kill a handful along the way? Its like most people who are in the limelight. They loose sight of the big picture. Really sad, coz I liked her aswell.

CamiToo
08-14-2009, 08:15 PM
Let me start with my own point of view on Jillian - "Profit" is NOT a dirty word in my book. She gets paid and paid WELL to help others lose weight. That's her career. I still like Jillian as much as I always have. Her workouts work well for many people. I may be wrong, but I believe every person who's won a quarter mil on TBL has been one of Jillian's trainees. If not every winner, then I believe MOST have been trained by her. She knows how to lose weight and get fit. I will definitely buy all of her DVDs and most of her books.

If she believes in the supplements enough to put her name, and therefore her fortune, on the line, good for her. I hope she's right about the safety of them - but I won't be buying her new pills.

I'm more disturbed by her book "Master Your Metabolism" than I am about her selling supplements she believes in. She came across as a bit of a fanatic in that book on the subject of organics and such. She believes that $100 per week is a reasonable grocery budget to buy organic products and wanted everyone to turn their household and life upside down to get rid of anything she didn't think was good. Excuse me but I spend about $120 to $160 per MONTH for groceries and that's buying meat and produce that's on sale and running to the store to take advantage of double coupon days. Organics are twice or 3X the price of regular food. I'm not rich and can't afford her organic frenzy, sorry. Nor do I care how the meat gets to my table. I'm not an activist and can't afford to be choosy.

Jillian's no different from anyone else who makes a living off giving weight loss advice - I listen to what they have to say, then make up my own mind and make my own choices. I can follow her concepts (or anyone else's) that fit in with my views and lifestyle and disregard the rest.:)

Eumie
08-14-2009, 08:32 PM
She's creating an empire around her name. While it disturbs me to some degree, it's not any different than Oprah or Rachel Ray, or any other person out there who started more modestly. I think she's probably a heck of a trainer, though not for all people. I don't think she should be pushing pills, either, but...

I do not know how all of these elements combine, but I think people should think about this--

One element can be dangerous, but when combined with another can be quite safe--or vise versa. Nitrogen is found in food. It's also found in cyanides. I remember a lady at work telling me a little over a year ago that she'll no longer use splenda because it has the same elements in it that fomaldehyde does. Well, yes, yes it does, but the reason that it doesn't actually embalm your insides has to do with the OTHER elements in it. I still choose splenda over her aspertame.

Again, I don't know if these particular pills are safe or not, and I'm not going to take them, but remember that combining chemicals and ingredients makes them much different than their individual components. Or,you know, don't--but stop using splenda! :D

EZMONEY
08-14-2009, 08:50 PM
Boy, I'd like to give her a good spankin' for this move ;)

nelie
08-14-2009, 09:05 PM
I wouldn't say profit is a bad word but I'd say profit for sake of name degredation is a bad word. Her Wii game got a lot of bad press and could've been a really good game, if she had fought for it but it seemed she was willing to let them slap her name on a mediocre product (amazon reviews for it are horrid). A diet pill? We all know diet pills don't work. This pill has ingredients that are dangerous and can contradict other medication as well and the problem is she is touting it as all natural. Again, I'd say she is letting them slap her name on a mediocre product. What happens if someone takes it and dies? The supplement companies recover easily from deaths as they just reformulate under a different name. She won't be able to do that.

better health3
08-14-2009, 09:29 PM
It is incredibly sad that people sell out for extra money full well knowing that it is not healthy, safe and people do not need that crap to lose weight. She lost her credibility in my eyes....

JulieJ08
08-14-2009, 10:18 PM
I think anybody advertising "QuickStart Rapid Weight Loss System" in big letters is not looking after anyone's best interests. They're making money at the expense of sustainable healthy living. It's selling out. Legal, sure. Impressive, **** no.

canadianwoman
08-14-2009, 11:12 PM
She's creating an empire around her name. While it disturbs me to some degree, it's not any different than Oprah or Rachel Ray, or any other.....

Even Richard Simmons pushes a variety of products on his website...including pills.

helwa588
08-14-2009, 11:32 PM
is this for real though? because i know some diet pill company's will use a celebrities likeness to sell a product i wouldn't be surprised if it comes out they didn't have permission to use her likeness. i don't think she would do something like this.

then again the dollar does make people do crazy things.

i was never a fan of her's because i do believe she is too harsh at times. but i do like her 30 day shred DVD.

Onederchic
08-14-2009, 11:43 PM
Since pintobean is a member of Jillian's website, she posted this earlier in this thread which indicates, to me, that the pill promo by Jillian is valid (meaning she gave the company her okay not that the pills are legit..does this make sense? lol :D )

The post I am talking about can be found here - http://www.3fatchicks.com/forum/2875349-post13.html

kaplods
08-14-2009, 11:50 PM
I guess it surprises me that anyone is surprised. The whole focus of The Biggest Loser has always been primarily on rapid weight loss, regardless of the possible consequences of the methods. I know they do take some medical precautions, but mostly the attitude on the show is that the risks of injury and illness are "worth it." If the BL trainers are unconcerned about sprains, strains, stress fractures, heat stress, exercise-induced asthma and other overwork injuries we've seen on the show, why would the risks of supplements be a concern?

To me, it's a perfectly logical extension of the "ends justifies the means" philosophy of the show. If it's ok to push your body beyond it's natural limits with intense exercise, it's not a big jump to be willing to do so with supplements.

thisisnotatest
08-14-2009, 11:55 PM
Has anyone ever bought anything from someone who didn't want to make money? I'm just curious.

I think its great that she has something she believes in and stands behind it. Whether or not people want to buy it is up to them.

I like jillian, but I would never blindly follow anyone. if I hear something interesting to me I follow up with my own research.

She is not a superhero. She's just a person who is following her own interests and has been quite successful. Good for her. Take what you like, leave the rest.

Anyone who is on medication should check with their doctor before taking any supplements for contraindication, regardless of the brand.

jrsygrl
08-15-2009, 12:06 AM
Ouch!!! that's a real disappointment. Instead of putting her name and face on a diet pill how about she put forth the effort to create a cookbook to go along with her books?

JulieJ08
08-15-2009, 12:12 AM
Has anyone ever bought anything from someone who didn't want to make money? I'm just curious.

That's not the point. Making a living is not unethical. Making money by taking advantage of people is something else.

I think its great that she has something she believes in and stands behind it.

This is the problem. Either the above is true (that she is taking advantage of people), or people are disappointed that she believes in this.

But I suppose kaplods is right, it's not surprising given the extremes on BL (I say suppose because I don't watch the show). But it's still bad.

kiramira
08-15-2009, 12:13 AM
2 separate things -- TBL focuses on diet and exercise.These pills are promoted by Jillian on her website. Completely unrelated to NBC and TBL.

And just to be PERFECTLY clear: people are pretty resilient beings, and very very few have had significant issues with the training program they willingly participate with. No one forces them to do this. And I'm surprised at the high number who become personal trainers at the end -- it seems to me that if they were pushing people beyond their natural limits, there would be WAY more issues than they have. And last time I checked, no one forced anyone to complete the tasks. We all have free will. Some choose this form of exercise program. Sounds like some of us are afraid to test our physical limits, IMHO...

In any event, these diet pills are in NO WAY related to TBL. They are the product of Jillian Michael's personal marketing plan. She may have exposure on TBL, but TBL does not market nor partake of profit percentages from Jillian's website. So don't make this into a debate about TBL, please??? There is a separate forum for that...

I think what is disappointing is that Jillian seems to have always been anti-diet pill. And here she is selling her own now. And if you look at the ingredients, they aren't much different from those in the banned ephedra-free Hydroxycut formulations. I think she has confused "natural" with "always healthy".

Diet pills are a 60 million dollar a year business. She wants her slice of the pie. Free market. I choose not to partake of them. And I feel sad that she has chosen profits over her previous public statements that diet pills are not the answer...

And I EXPECT to see a video on You Tube of Mr EZ spanking Jillian...Ya hear me, Mr. EZ! Get on that!!! STAT!!! :rofl:

Kira

juliastl27
08-15-2009, 12:35 AM
That's not the point. Making a living is not unethical. Making money by taking advantage of people is something else.

This is the problem. Either the above is true (that she is taking advantage of people), or people are disappointed that she believes in this

personally i think that anyone who pushes diet pills is taking advantage of desperate people and bilking them out of hard earned money. theyre also probably doing more damage to those people who will get more frustrated when the pills dont work and maybe even give up. she has made her name by going about things the right way, so shes in a better position than most to convince people that her product "really works". (i.e. "im alll about losing weight the right way! if im endorsing this, it MUST be good for you and effective!") im not as outraged because im never terribly surprised when someone who has made a name for themselves uses it to get rich, but i think its sad for all the misguided souls who buy these pills expecting big results.

EveLHaelf
08-15-2009, 12:51 AM
That is crazy how she is saying that she's "always been pro supplements."

I too did not like Master Your Metabolism because of the fanatic approach to organics. I even gave it a good old try once...I drove about 50 miles out of my way to go to a store that actually sold half the crap she suggested getting, spent 200 dollars on only a weeks worth of organic groceries and spent even more on organic shampoo, conditioner, laundry soap and dish washer detergent. The shampoo and conditioner left my hair feeling greasy and disgusting, and the dish washer detergent left all my dishes with this nasty white film on them. So I decided I can't afford to buy organic groceries and throw out everything in my house that is made out of plastic and that I'd rather have products with 'chemicals' in them that actually do what they're supposed to do.

And in the ingredients list of her pills is something called CLA which she talks about in her book MYM pg 95: "Important note: The benefits of CLAs have NOT been demonstrated in supplemental form. In fact, several studies have linked CLA supplements to increased risk of insulin resistance, so please don't supplement with CLAs." So why would she put that in her supplements?

I'm not disappointed in her for trying to make money, I'm disappointed because of the contradiction of what she's been preaching in the past. And that she's preying apon the desperate wish for there to be a 'magic' pill for weight loss.
I love her dvd workouts and the information in "winning by losing." I will continue to use these products but I will not be buying her pills.

Annita
08-15-2009, 12:52 AM
everything jillian said now is just an excuse. LOL.

i don't know why people idolizing her, i mean, she's a trainer just like all other trainer out there, isn't she? she just is lucky enough to take a part in a real show, and even that show is just an unhealthy thing to look at. But i do credit it because people do have to sweat. But you know, it's like they are forced to sweat, not because they are "really" willing, if you know what i mean (because you know, most of them stay out of shape after leaving the show, so i really doubt that they took the show seriously for their health).

Another thing, I dont know why many people chose to be a personal trainer in the end. But i even don't know why many people dis-respect that decision. After all, a personal trainer is also a teacher. They don't teach at school but they teach people in the gym. They don't teach mentally but they teach us physically. They are still a teacher.

anyways, i've never really listen to jillian, except follow some of her workout - just like all the other workout out there. If her workout works for me, I'll follow it. Anything else is not a matter. I don't even know her so why would i have to place emotion on her anyways? I may not "really" respect her because you know, i don't know her, but i am not disrespect her either.
Choose what works for you.

EZMONEY
08-15-2009, 01:19 AM
Here is my take on it....

I am not anti-Jillian

I like her kick-butt style on the show

I listened to her show on KFI going to the grocery store and errands after church on Sundays until she was taken off a few weeks ago...

one of the last shows I heard was her stressing putting chemicals in your body or on your body such as body washes/mouthwash/hair gels/etc. and how they cause cancer and other diseases.

That is why I am confused on the pill situation...

she needs a spanking

nelie
08-15-2009, 02:00 AM
Even Richard Simmons pushes a variety of products on his website...including pills.

I went and looked at his website and there were no pills and could find no pills associated with him. I've never actually heard of him pushing any pills. Not to say that he may have at some point and I wouldn't say all pills are bad because were they vitamins or fad diet pills?

kaplods
08-15-2009, 02:11 AM
This isn't "about" TBL, but for a personal trainer to be on the show, it of course says something about their ideology.

This is about ideology, and I don't find it at all incongruent for a person who advocates such intense and extreme physical workouts, to support extreme dietary practices. She wouldn't be the first to rationalize that "all-natural" supplements are somehow different than artificially manufactured ones.

I'm just saying that this doesn't seem to be the huge "leap" in reasoning to warrant shock or surprise. I'm not even arguing whether extreme methods are or are not legitimate (I have my own opinions on that, but that isn't the point at all).

It just seems very odd to criticize the woman for an extreme viewpoint, when she's known for (and largely because of) her extreme viewpoint. If pushing past physical limits is ok (such as working out beyond the point of vomiting), why wouldn't pushing the limits in the area of diet and supplements, be just as valid. Just doesn't seem a huge mental leap to me.

kaplods
08-15-2009, 02:13 AM
I went and looked at his website and there were no pills and could find no pills associated with him. I've never actually heard of him pushing any pills. Not to say that he may have at some point and I wouldn't say all pills are bad because were they vitamins or fad diet pills?

To my recollection, I only ever remember him selling a line of vitamins - but they were of the One-a-Day multivitamin type, not fat-burners and such.

EZMONEY
08-15-2009, 02:21 AM

It just seems very odd to criticize the woman for an extreme viewpoint, when she's known for (and largely because of) her extreme viewpoint. If pushing past physical limits is ok (such as working out beyond the point of vomiting), why wouldn't pushing the limits in the area of diet and supplements, be just as valid. Just doesn't seem a huge mental leap to me.

Because as I said in my post Colleen....she spent 2 hours talking about how bad chemicals were to be putting into your body and the damage it does...then she sells pills with "chemicals"....

Mickeypnd
08-15-2009, 02:48 AM
this is sad.

I thought she was one of the good guys.
:(

JayEll
08-15-2009, 08:11 AM
Boy, I'd like to give her a good spankin' for this move :chin:

;)

Jay

thisisnotatest
08-15-2009, 10:17 AM
Cla's are just fatty acids. They are said to have antioxident properties.

The reason a disclaimer has to be added is because the fda makes it so. The fda seems to be fine with everyone injesting all sorts of chemicals and crap as long as they are in the form of fruit loops or fiber one bars, but when you buy milk from cows that haven't been treated with hormones, the fda makes sure those farmers put on their label that ...no studies show a difference, etc...
But the farmer that uses hormones and antibiotics doesn't have state so on their label. The fda is a joke.

I do find it also interesting that people seemed to be so jazzed on the 'chemicals' in these pills and anti organic at the same time. I would think if people didn't like stuff added to their food that was questionable and possibly unsafe that would be in all things they injest.
I'm not sure why people don't care about pesticides, added hormones, and plastics leeching into their foods.

I can understand that untreated foods are not readily available throughout this country, but I believe in doing the best you can with the information and resources you have.

thisisnotatest
08-15-2009, 10:30 AM
Whoops, I misread the previous poster about cla's. Thought you meant it was a disclaimer of sorts.
I do still stand by my statement about the fda (even though it happens to be completely unrelated :) )

Diva
08-15-2009, 01:39 PM
I just liked how she said, "Have a killer weekend" on her FB page. Anyone else catch that irony, given the stuff in those pills?

HA! I'm glad I'm not the only one who thought that!;)

I guess it surprises me that anyone is surprised. The whole focus of The Biggest Loser has always been primarily on rapid weight loss, regardless of the possible consequences of the methods. I know they do take some medical precautions, but mostly the attitude on the show is that the risks of injury and illness are "worth it." If the BL trainers are unconcerned about sprains, strains, stress fractures, heat stress, exercise-induced asthma and other overwork injuries we've seen on the show, why would the risks of supplements be a concern?

To me, it's a perfectly logical extension of the "ends justifies the means" philosophy of the show. If it's ok to push your body beyond it's natural limits with intense exercise, it's not a big jump to be willing to do so with supplements.

I agree. I know this isn't about TBL, but the way Jillian pushes people and her methods is the very reason I would NEVER apply to be on that show. So it also does not surprise me that she'd push these pills that have the potential to harm some people.
There's absolutely no harm in wanting to earn as much money as one can, but to do it at the expense of others...I do have a problem with that. I've never been a Jillian fan.

This isn't "about" TBL, but for a personal trainer to be on the show, it of course says something about their ideology.

This is about ideology, and I don't find it at all incongruent for a person who advocates such intense and extreme physical workouts, to support extreme dietary practices. She wouldn't be the first to rationalize that "all-natural" supplements are somehow different than artificially manufactured ones.

I'm just saying that this doesn't seem to be the huge "leap" in reasoning to warrant shock or surprise. I'm not even arguing whether extreme methods are or are not legitimate (I have my own opinions on that, but that isn't the point at all).

Nor me.....

Gary, will you be uploading the video of you spanking Jillian? LOL!

EveLHaelf
08-15-2009, 02:43 PM

Yes, I would like to see that as well! :lol3:

Aclai4067
08-15-2009, 02:56 PM
Honestly, I didn't know she was such a guru and had built up this big empire outside of TBL until I came on this site. I guess I'm not disapointed because I'm not attached to any certain image of her

harrismm
08-15-2009, 03:00 PM
..........its always about the money!

EZMONEY
08-15-2009, 03:37 PM

A guy can dream can't he? ;)

Yes, I would like to see that as well! :lol3:

Swell! It's a party :carrot:

..........its always about the money!

I like money :)

JayEll
08-15-2009, 03:43 PM
<-- (Wants the video of Jillian spanking EZ...)

Jay

EZMONEY
08-15-2009, 03:45 PM
<-- (Wants the video of Jillian spanking EZ...)

Jay

You know that show "What Not To Wear" Jay?....

well Jillian spanking me would be on a "What Not To WATCH" ...

it not be an attractive site :D

CountingDown
08-15-2009, 03:58 PM
You know that show "What Not To Wear" Jay?....

well Jillian spanking me would be on a "What Not To WATCH" ...

it not be an attractive site :D

Aw, c'mon EZ. If I can post pre-weight loss pictures on this site, surely you can post one little video ;)

:cheer: EZ, EZ, EZ :cheer:

kiramira
08-15-2009, 04:00 PM
And I EXPECT to see a video on You Tube of Mr EZ spanking Jillian...Ya hear me, Mr. EZ! Get on that!!! STAT!!! :rofl:

Kira

Hey, I want in on this too!!!

Kira

EZMONEY
08-15-2009, 04:00 PM
Aw, c'mon EZ. If I can post pre-weight loss pictures on this site, surely you can post one little video ;)

:cheer: EZ, EZ, EZ :cheer:

You gals are killin' me ;)

JasonsLea
08-15-2009, 05:56 PM
Is it wrong that I totally burst out laughing when I saw Jillian's diet pill ad? I'm all for someone making money but it just amuses me because she all gung-ho about everything 'natural'. And it's sad because I know that some of her fanatics won't think for themselves and will go out and buy her crap pills because she said so.

Oh and I want in on the EZ youtube vid! ;)

caliyah
08-15-2009, 07:59 PM
PILLS??? i would have never expected that. i'll take the good Jillian has to offer then and leave the bad.

ringmaster
08-15-2009, 08:23 PM
I'm not really surprised, she was promoting her upcoming supplement line on her radio show for awhile before it went off :?: And her making the cut book does recommend supplements and I have heard her talk about supplements on her radio show.

It bothered me too, when in her latest book and on her show she kept pushing everything to be organic and natural, saying if we cut corners here and there everyone can afford it. I think I heard her mention one time that fruits and vegetables with thick skins or ones we don't eat the skins don't have to be bought organic, but I think she should of mentioned it more often. And natural cleaners and cosmetics usually are ALOT more expensive. After seeing the price on these pills, she must think everyone is rich.

now I wonder if the herbs in these pills are all organic since I didn't see it mentioned?

harrismm
08-15-2009, 08:28 PM
A guy can dream can't he? ;) He can, and he should.....

Swell! It's a party :carrot:
Party on Wayne....

I like money :)

I like money also....not enough to sell my soul for it but......

EZMONEY
08-15-2009, 09:08 PM
I like money also....not enough to sell my soul for it but......

Would you sell your soul for a chance to light Red's cigar?

EZMONEY
08-15-2009, 09:10 PM
Oh and I want in on the EZ youtube vid! ;)

Looks like I will need to sell tickets...with all profits going back to the 3FC cause of course! Now, if I can only figure out a way to "twitter" my desires to Jillian....;)

TracyB73
08-16-2009, 10:10 AM
Well I just lost respect for her, I am doing things naturally eating right , portion control, and lots and lots of water, and am walking every night fifteen to twenty mins a night

L144S
08-16-2009, 10:02 PM
Does anyone know why she is NOT on the radio? I really liked the show.

SweetCurves32
08-17-2009, 12:46 AM
I won't be buying her pills :no: but I will still be working out using her DVD's :lifter:

canadianwoman
08-17-2009, 05:31 AM
Does anyone know why she is NOT on the radio? I really liked the show.

On the radio show's website it says she is taking a break from radio for a while.

L144S
08-17-2009, 08:03 AM
I saw that on kfi but Jill does not keep her mouth shut about much so I thought she may have posted somthing on her website.

rachinma
08-17-2009, 10:40 AM
I like Jillian's approach to training. I don't buy supplements, for the most part, but the fact that she has then doesn't really turn me off her. I know a lot of professional figure competitors and body builders that supplement with legal substances. *shrug*

Tomato
08-17-2009, 01:56 PM
personally i think that anyone who pushes diet pills is taking advantage of desperate people and bilking them out of hard earned money.

I wouldn't disagree with this, but then again, nobody is forcing those people to actually buy anything. They are doing it from their own free will. Why do they believe that diet pills (and a myriad of other snake oil things) work? One of my colleagues has a big banner at his workstation, and it says YOU CAN'T FIX STUPID. You have no idea how many times a day this comes to my mind.
Our release notes specifically say this and this will not work on VMWare and that we won't support it. A third of the customers WILL install it on VMWare and demand that we fix their problems. What more can I say?:?:

NightengaleShane
08-17-2009, 03:59 PM
Rachinma: It's true, figure competitors and bodybuilders usually use supplements. I did a bodybuilding contest recently and I popped a crapload of 'em during contest prep: Hot Rox (diet pills, really), DHEA 7-Keto (closest thing you can find to steroid-like substance without it being banned by most natural bodybuilding organizations), CLA, creatine, glutamine, l-carnitine, and nitric oxide products before workouts because I ended up BADLY needing that extra energy.

All the supplements made me feel a bit strange, but contest preparation in general had the same effect. The human body is resiliant and adaptable -- I feel like I screwed up so much of my body chemistry, but I know that after a month of healthy living, I will be back to normal.
Despite what I did, I don't personally advocate excessive supplement usage unless you have a very steep goal (like getting shredded down to 9.5% body fat like I did for the stage). If you just want to lose weight and maintain good health, I think all the crap in diet pills does more harm than good!

I am not surprised by Jillian Michaels' move, though -- as echoed by so many previous posts, she is obviously an advocate for extreme weight loss, so why not hawk a pill promoting the same? I don't have any less respect for her doing it; she is a very successful trainer with boundless opportunities. I would LOVE to be her. I look up to her as an entrepreneurial inspiration, even if I do not agree with everything she says/does. She's a good business woman... I'll give her that.

Now, Gary, go spank her!

EZMONEY
08-17-2009, 09:34 PM

Now, Gary, go spank her!

:carrot: YIPEE! I have permission :carrot:

Glad to see you back kiddo :hug:

Checked out your profile pic....wow!

If only I was 30 years younger....not married and a le...er...girl ;)

NightengaleShane
08-17-2009, 09:37 PM
HAHAHA thanks Gary! ;)

I don't think you would make a good looking girl, though. :p You could take that as an offensive statement, BUT I think it as a compliment to your masculinity! :D

EZMONEY
08-17-2009, 09:41 PM
HAHAHA thanks Gary! ;)

I don't think you would make a good looking girl, though. :p You could take that as an offensive statement, BUT I think it as a compliment to your masculinity! :D

:) My Italian wife has a moustache and she makes a good looking girl ;)