100 lb. Club - Any tips for getting boiled eggs to peal?

MugCanDoIt
08-13-2009, 05:24 PM
I sometimes boil fresh farm eggs and they NEVER peel easily and I end up wasting half the egg....:tantrum:

I also boil store bought eggs and they RARELY peel easily.:mad:

What is the trick to this? Somebody has got to know!!!:?:

Onederchic
08-13-2009, 05:32 PM
Well, I am sure there's easier ways but I always peel mine while holding it under running faucet and it works for me.

sharongracepjs
08-13-2009, 05:32 PM
My mother always told me it had to do with the age of the egg. I believe older eggs peel more easily than newer ones...but it could be vice versa.

Onederchic
08-13-2009, 05:34 PM
Haha, I just found this on the net too, maybe it can help :D

http://www.wikihow.com/Peel-an-Egg

Echo
08-13-2009, 05:35 PM
talking of eggs, does anyone know how long to boil a egg so you get a nice runny yolk?

Arctic Mama
08-13-2009, 05:35 PM
Ha, let me know when you find the magic trick! It seems to be a crapshoot for me, but older eggs and peeling under water (so water can get in between the membrane and albumen) seems to help a bit.

Onederchic
08-13-2009, 05:36 PM
Echo - Maybe this can help? http://www.wikihow.com/Make-a-Soft-Boiled-Egg :hug:

Echo
08-13-2009, 05:37 PM
hehe thanks onderchic! :cheer2:

onderchic to the rescue! i'm going to try it tommorow ! i love yolky eggs yum yum. and boiling is better than fried!
i've always wanted to try poached eggs too. gonna try it tommorow for breaky :)
http://uktv.co.uk/food/item/aid/587170

or http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1T-ZM3FhLs4

Bonnie+J
08-13-2009, 05:37 PM
to get a runny yolk, boil for 3 mins.

to peel a hard boiled egg, hit it firmly off a hard surface and roll it while applying a bit of pressure. when you lift it off, there will be like a line of broken shell around the middle. if you pull gently on the top half it will pull off. then you just pull off the bottom.

this prob makes no sense, its hard to explain without a demo, but i hope you get a glimmer of the idea so you can figure it out yourself!

Bonnie+J
08-13-2009, 05:39 PM
Haha, I just found this on the net too, maybe it can help :D

http://www.wikihow.com/Peel-an-Egg

ok, i should have looked at this before posting, its exactly how i do it. works perfectly.

Jadebatdog
08-13-2009, 05:46 PM
If the eggs aren't QUITE cooked enough, it's harder to peel them. I put the eggs in a pot of cold water and bring to a boil, then cover and let them boil for 15 minutes. Then I run cold water over them for a few minutes and I don't have any problems peeling them, unless I get impatient and take them off the burner too soon.

Onederchic
08-13-2009, 05:48 PM
hehe thanks onderchic! :cheer2:

onderchic to the rescue! i'm going to try it tommorow ! i love yolky eggs yum yum. and boiling is better than fried!

You are so welcome :D :hug:

starfishkitty
08-13-2009, 05:48 PM
I always peel it under running water... makes it SO much easier for some reason... :)

Arctic Mama
08-13-2009, 05:50 PM
See, I boil them for three minutes and then leave the lid off and let them cool naturally - if I boil 15 minutes I get rubbery, grey yolks and they're gross.

lottie63
08-13-2009, 05:54 PM
I roll mine on a hard surface until they are all crackly, bop the top and bottom on the coutner and then peel under water.

Echo
08-13-2009, 06:05 PM
ok, i should have looked at this before posting, its exactly how i do it. works perfectly.

aww thanks Bonnie! ;)

HotWings
08-13-2009, 06:15 PM
Just as soon as you drain the boiling water... gently jump the pot up and down a few times to crack the shells good (grabbing them to crack them at this point would give you a nice ouch). Then immediately run the pan full of cold water. Let sit a few minutes.. and they will peel very nicely. This has never NOT worked for me - no matter the age of the eggs! :)

CJZee
08-13-2009, 06:15 PM
After cooking the eggs, plunge them individually into a pan or bowl of ice water. I think it firms the surface of the egg to make it easier to peel. Then continue as other people have outlined.

P.S. -- I posted this at exactly the same time as HotWings -- didn't mean to be redundant. Great minds think alike???

bcort
08-13-2009, 06:28 PM
I recently started getting farm eggs - yum! - & noticed that they do seem to be harder to peel than store eggs. I'll bet it does have to do with the freshness.

I have always submerged my hot eggs into cold water, & shaken them around in the pot - this usually does the trick.

JerseyGyrl
08-13-2009, 06:37 PM
Add some white vinegar to the water when boiling the eggs....makes them easier to peel:)

Misora
08-13-2009, 06:48 PM
I always roll mine around on the counter all over until the outside is nicely cracked, tear a small whole on the bubble end and hold it right up against the faucet at full blast. It makes the shell buldge out and then develop little leaks and from there you just grab a side and pull. :P

quince
08-13-2009, 08:19 PM
when the egg is cooked, i put it in a pot of cold water and let it cool for a couple of minutes (it works best when i change the water a few times). the shell absorbs some of the water and makes it easy to peal the egg.

LitChick
08-13-2009, 10:40 PM
The freshness does have a lot to do with it. And to avoid that blackish tinge to the yolks, don't boil them for too long. As soon as they start to boil, cover and remove them from direct heat and let them sit for several minutes.

A couple years ago I was looking for a good deviled eggs recipe and came across this site: http://www.deviledeggs.com/step1_how_to_hard_boil_egg.html

I followed those directions and have done so ever since. And everyone loves my deviled eggs, even the healthy version!

StellarGirl
08-13-2009, 11:10 PM
Ok...here is how you make perfect hard boiled eggs.

1. Take eggs that are at least 1 week old.
2. Put in a pot and cover with room temp water one inch above the top
3. Bring to a rolling boil...let boil for 1-2 minutes
4. Cover, turn off heat and let sit for exactly 17 minutes
5. remove out of pot and into a bowl of ice water...the colder the better
6. let sit until cold to the touch
7. yummies!

enjoy!
xo,
Annie*

hpnodat
08-13-2009, 11:36 PM
My grandma always told me to let fresh eggs sit overnight on the counter
before boiling them so they would peel easier.

MugCanDoIt
08-14-2009, 11:24 AM
I think Im gonna try the roll them around in the pan after they're done trick. Thanks!

MugCanDoIt
08-17-2009, 05:58 PM
Just as soon as you drain the boiling water... gently jump the pot up and down a few times to crack the shells good (grabbing them to crack them at this point would give you a nice ouch). Then immediately run the pan full of cold water. Let sit a few minutes.. and they will peel very nicely. This has never NOT worked for me - no matter the age of the eggs! :)

I did this over the weekend and it worked perfectly! Only about 2 eggs out of 24 did not peel easily. Thanks for the tip, Im gonna do it this way from now on!!!:carrot::D

sherrybwc
08-29-2009, 10:03 PM
My mother always told me it had to do with the age of the egg. I believe older eggs peel more easily than newer ones...but it could be vice versa.

That would be correct...the fresher, the harder to peel.

S