100 lb. Club - My 1st Ten Pounds :)

View Full Version : My 1st Ten Pounds :)

lizzie1111
08-13-2009, 03:08 PM
I LOST 10 LBS in about one month's time. :D
I am happy with my results because the past month has been very difficult for me... more emotionally difficult than anything else, since I struggle with my appearance almost constantly. Although, my 1200 calorie diet has been proving more and more easy with each day, and I have a steady exercise routine of 40-60 minutes of elliptical, or an hour long power-walk each day.

However, I am wondering if you think my weight loss was too slow for my first month...? I have seen a lot of other results with way more than a 10 lb loss in their first month when they are beginning in the upper 200's...

Also...
I have been having trouble managing late-night munchies. I would love to learn some ways to control them! They are my biggest downfall. :dizzy:

THANK YOU ALL FOR YOUR INSPIRATION, SUPPORT AND ADVICE IN MY FIRST MONTH!

Beck
08-13-2009, 03:09 PM
:carrot: :cb: :carrot: :cb:

SkinnyJeansInWaiting
08-13-2009, 03:14 PM
Congrats! I think 10 pounds in one month is really, really good. The only thing I thought was maybe your calories are too low. If you are working out an hour every day and are still in the upper 200s, you may need more calories to really support weight loss.

The munchies may be your body telling you that you need a bit more food...or it could be a habit. You could try adding a very healthy, light snack in the late evening or change yoru routine to do somethign distracting before bed.

BUT I think if you lost 10 pounds in a month and are feeling good and have the energy you need to get through your day and your workout sessions you are probably fine. You just might want to eventually fluctuate the calories some or you will hit a plateau at some point.

I find rotating the calorie amount around and varying my workout routine about every 3-4 weeks prevents plateaus.

wanted to add...I usually have a weekly calorie limit, so I can be flexible on a daily basis. This helps when we have to eat out, there is a party, etc. It is how you do over the course of days and weeks that matter, not one higher calorie day.

Onederchic
08-13-2009, 03:16 PM
Congrats!!

Busy yourself with something non food related when you feel the munchies coming on. Read a book, work a crossword, give yourself a manicure, take a nice relaxing bath.

Good luck with your goals :cheer:

Hugs
Michelle

SunshineCA
08-13-2009, 03:16 PM
Way to go! :)

paris81
08-13-2009, 03:18 PM
Congrats!

I think you probably need to eat more! 1200 is the lowest anyone should go, and you can eat a lot more and still lose.

Have you checked out the calorie tracking sites? You can enter your weight, how much you want to lose a week, your activity level, and they'll tell you how many calories you can eat a day. I use dailyplate, I know a lot of people use sparkpeople, fitday.

congrats congrats!

lottie63
08-13-2009, 03:45 PM
in regards to putting in how much you want to lose on those sites, dont' put more than 2 lbs per week (spark won't let you put more than 2.5 lbs anyhow) anything more isn't healthy and sustainable really.

and yeah you don't want to plateau eating only 1200 cals cuz you wont' be able to reduce them to jump your metabolism back up.

Don't be scared of food. Our stats are VERY similar, I eat 1700 cals a day and lose about 2 lbs a week, sometimes more, sometimes less (scales are fickle) so no need to go hungry.

Also if you eat a bigger breakfast it's supposed to release some hormoneor something that keeps you from getting hungry later in the day.

Today I had 4 egg whites, 2 slices of cheese, 2 slices of whole wheat bread and a banana.

SkinnyJeansInWaiting
08-13-2009, 04:06 PM
Also if you eat a bigger breakfast it's supposed to release some hormoneor something that keeps you from getting hungry later in the day.

Does this really work for you? Or anyone else here? I have never been a breakfast-eater but have tried to do it to see if it does stop me from eating as much later during the day and it doesn't work for me, I swear! I charted it in my notebook last year for over 2 weeks and I ate MORE when I ate breakfast :?: I have kind of played with breakfast without the technical recording stuff here recently and I swear it makes me hungier for some reason and I do better to listen to my body and just eat about mid-morning closer to lunch.

Maybe I am just strange.

Idealmuse
08-13-2009, 04:06 PM
I think they say 1lb per 100 is safe so you really don't want to aim for too much more. I think your progress is right on target.

MugCanDoIt
08-13-2009, 05:19 PM
One way to help with late night munchies is to plan for you to have a munchie, within your calorie budget. That way you can look forward to it........Congrats on the 10 lbs, that's a wonderful fantastical start!

bcort
08-13-2009, 06:35 PM
Way to go! 10 lbs in a month is wonderful! Keep it up - we're all there with you.

Maybe you could keep some carrots/celery for late night munchies? Do you like them?

Jadebatdog
08-13-2009, 06:39 PM
I am also a late night muncher and the only thing that really helps me is to keep water next to me all night and just drink, drink, drink. I have to make a lot of trips to the bathroom but I guess that's just extra calories burned :)

kuhrisuh
08-13-2009, 07:11 PM
Congratulations girl!! :bravo:

As far as the late night snacks thing goes.. as long as you have enough room in your calories, it shouldn't be problem. Try eating those single serving bags of low fat popcorn or those fat free chocolate puddings.. those usually give me just enough to feel satisfied but the single servings keep me from overdoing it.

Keep it up!

Judy Lynn
08-13-2009, 07:57 PM
Congratulations! You are doing awesome!

fjcinzion
08-13-2009, 08:02 PM
Congratuations on losing 10 pounds in a month! :)

If I'm hungry in the evening I like to snack on some low-fat microwave popcorn too.

Couch
08-14-2009, 02:04 AM
10 pounds a month is excellent! Congratulations.

I would also suggest upping your calories too, especially if you are finding it hard. You should still lose 10lb a month on 1800-2000 cal if you are exercising, and it's much easier to stick to that sort of diet as you can have a few treats and even late night snacks.

TJFitnessDiva
08-14-2009, 09:49 AM
Congrats on your first 10 pounds!

I also agree with the others about maybe upping your calories a bit...with the exercise you should be able to eat more with no dent on the rate your are losing. Try bumping it up a little at a time to find what works for you :)

lizzie1111
08-14-2009, 03:14 PM
Thanks so much for suggestions on conquering the munchies!! I was successful last night!

I have researched upping my calories and I think that I want to try it. I am already on daily plate and my suggested calorie intake to lose 2 lbs a week is 2,100. I was thinking that I could increase my calories to about 1500-1600 gradually over a week to start off?

Lottie63

Whenever I read your posts I think that we have similar stats! haha! But when I eat a big breakfast before work (8am) I get so hungry by 11 and 12 that afternoon, CARB HUNGRY, lol. In the morning I eat a hard boiled egg or two or I have a special K protein shake.

SkinnyJeansInWaiting
I really like the idea of calorie rotation. I have read about it before but since I was in the beginning of my weight loss I thought I should save it until I hit a plateau. Does the rotation prevent plateaus? and what is a good calorie difference for the rotations?

Also, I basically am on a weekly count. If I go over calories by 100, I compensate by eating 100 calories less the next day.

dragonwoman64
08-14-2009, 03:47 PM
:dancer: :dancer: Congrats on the first 10 lbs! :dancer: :dancer:

Thanks so much for suggestions on conquering the munchies!! I was successful last night!

congrats! I save a yogurt and glass of milk for the night bec I have the same prob.

But when I eat a big breakfast before work (8am) I get so hungry by 11 and 12 that afternoon, CARB HUNGRY, lol. In the morning I eat a hard boiled egg or two or I have a special K protein shake.

I usually eat lunch at 11:30, I get kind of shaky if I don't. I've always been that way. Usually breakfast is a bowl of cereal, then snack is a banana or piece of fruit. I don't get the low blood sugar for other meals, guess it has to do with the body being hungry after the sleep hours.

good luck with everything!

SkinnyJeansInWaiting
08-14-2009, 04:49 PM
SkinnyJeansInWaiting
I really like the idea of calorie rotation. I have read about it before but since I was in the beginning of my weight loss I thought I should save it until I hit a plateau. Does the rotation prevent plateaus? and what is a good calorie difference for the rotations?

Also, I basically am on a weekly count. If I go over calories by 100, I compensate by eating 100 calories less the next day.

To answer your question off the top...I don't think changing the calories will prevent you from ever hitting a plateau as there are many different reasons your body can stall out. But, some plateaus can be caused by your body getting too used to the exercise you are doing (which is why I chang ethings around about once a month or so) or by getting used to the same calories (or even same foods I have heard) day after day. I believe I have saved myself from plateaus by varying workouts and eating the calories on the weekly basis, rather than a strict daily limit.

I have heard of calorie rotation plans, etc. but really I developed mine on my own last time I lost weight. It took me a few months, but then I lost over 30 pounds and kept it off for over a year (don't ask what happened :( ), so it's kinda just what works for me...just like you are right now trying new things and you will find what works for you one day.

For me, I use a formula in Jillian Michaels first book which gives me my calorie limit for the week, and I divide it out on Sunday with some "extras" for the week. I assign more to days where I know I will need more, etc. If I go over I can take from the extras or from a higher calorie day, so that flexibility works for me. I could never stick with a strict calorie limit for every day, life just gets in the way.

also, when I was maintaining I was not counting calories, but had learned calorie counts for most of the foods i ate regularly so would kind of estimate. Ultimately, that was part of what made it so easy for me to slip into old habits wihtout realizing it...I wasn't writing everything down anymore and was kind of blind or avoiding the real truth.

Smileydd
08-14-2009, 04:53 PM
10 pounds is a great start- I am sure you would not want the 10 back -great job

findingfawn
08-14-2009, 05:00 PM
Way to go! 10 pounds in your first month is awesome!

I agree with eating a few more calories, and also make sure you allot some for a night time snack. We eat a snack every night in my house while we watch tv... so I make sure I have some calories so that I can enjoy my snack without feeling like a failure.