General Diet Plans and Questions General diet questions, support for various diet plans other than those listed below.

Closed Thread

Old 07-08-2002, 10:52 PM   #1  

Default Finally decided my course of action...

Hello!! I finally decided how I am going to lose weight. Theoretically...it should work. I am posting my plan here so that I have a reason to keep up with it. I'm also going to post here my (hopefully) successes with it.

So here it goes!!

First, I'm cutting out my three true weaknesses.
No more meat, no more dairy, and no more bread.
This is extreme...but I'm to the point now where I need extreme. I'm going to do my best to supplement accordingly...but to be honest, that is not my main concern right now.

I am going to use slim fast for both breakfast and lunch. ABSOLUTELY NO SUBSTITUTIONS! I know that this may seem rigid...but I NEED rigid!

For dinner, I am going to eat whatever I want (that isn't meat, or bread, or dairy) up to 500 calories. I'm going to choose "healthy" foods...ex. fruits and veggies, oatmealish things, etc... Maybe a lettuce salad with a bit of tuna and lots of veggies.

For exercise, I am going to walk/run my normal 2-4 miles each day. On to that, I am adding weight training mon. wed. fri and a basketball league on tues. and thurs. On the weekends I will continue with my walking/running.

About 2 years ago I lost nearly 70 lbs (I went from 220 to 150)in nearly four months. Today, when I stepped on the scale, I was back up to 195. I refuse to let myself get back up over 200 lbs.

I carry nearly all of my weight in my hips, thighs, and butt. If anyone has any ideas on exercise tips for this, I'd love to hear them...
I'd also LOVE any input I can get.

THANK YOU!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Old 07-08-2002, 11:27 PM   #2  
Uber-Moderator!!

Hi there! and welcome to 3FC!

I had a few concerns about your plan of action...basically your calories sound like they are going to be way too low - not only will it be impossible to stay on such a rigid program, but you're going to be putting your body into starvation mode - especially if you plan on including weight training 3 days a week. If you want to build muscle, your body is going to need plenty of healthy foods (protein, complex carbs, and veggies) to support that muscle. And YES, you do want to build muscle - not only does it look great but muscle burns fat continuously.

I'm also concerned with your choice of SlimFast (I call it SlimFat). Check the label - it's mostly sugar with a tiny bit of protein and some vitamins added. If you want to use a meal replacement shake, fine - but there are far better choices out there, such as Lean Body and Lean Body for Her by Labrada and Myoplex Lite by EAS (good prices on both these products can be found at www.netrition.com and www.vitaglo.com). Drinking something that is mostly sugar (and the bars are even worse) is NOT going to help you lose fat - and more importantly KEEP IT OFF. As you've already found, maintenance is the tough part.

From my experience, what I'd suggest rather than a drastic 'one-time' diet is making permanent LIFESTYLE CHANGES. I highly doubt you are intending on eating like this for the rest of your life! Who would want to anyway?

As far as spot reducing (losing fat in specific areas of your body) that's not possible Where fat loss is concerned, it's definitely a matter of first on, last off. Typically, most women store fat in their midsection (thigh/hip area) first, then up from there. When you start losing bodyfat, you'll see the change first in your upper body.

I'd like to extend an invitation to visit our Body For Life/Bodybuilding board here at 3FC - read the info at the beginning of the latest thread for more info. I HIGHLY recommend the book "Body for Life" by Bill Phillips. His program has worked for so many people (go to www.leanandstrong.com and check the Transformation Gallery for some inspiration!) including myself! (check out Pam Brown's transformation http://www.leanandstrong.com/newlib/tg/11/pam+b3.2.jpg - I just met her in person this past weekend - she is SO INSPIRATIONAL!)

I'm always here to help - you can catch me at the BFL forum or at Lean & Strong! Take care.
Old 07-09-2002, 02:06 AM   #3  
JEC
Aussie and proud

Talking Mrs Jim knows what she is on about!

Hey there!

I will re-iterate all of the points that Mrs Jim has made. In theory a lot of things work but putting it into practice is a whole other ball game.

The one thing I can vouch for is that Mrs Jim has lost a lot of weight and even more importantly a lot of fat! I also have lost about 45 pounds so far myself and even more of fat through healthy lifestyle changes and the irradication of the diet mentality. Check out the BFL thread if you want more information on how both Mrs Jim and myself made these lasting changes.

You can do anything you set your mind too but it doesn't necessarily mean it's the right thing or way to necessarily do it! You will probably find that even if you do lose the weight it will come back unless you change your eating habits permanently.

If you are really serious about loosing the weight then you need to educate yourself on nutrition and what makes up food and various energy sources. I can't support Mrs Jim strongly enough in her treatment of Slimfast. It basically is sugar and nutritionally worthless. I would suggest strongly against using the product and switching to other products that Mrs Jim suggested as a substitute.

Finally good luck with everything. The road to permanent weight loss is best tackled as a turtle rather than a rabbit. Slow and steady wins the race. Take it from 2 people who know what they are talking about and have the results to back it up.

Take care
JC

Old 07-14-2002, 10:32 AM   #4  

Other than the fact you aren't eating 2 snacks between meals, you seem to be following the slim fast plan. I am starting that today. I am completely new to the program but the recipes sound delicious. I am planning to have bakes eggplant parmesan for dinner tonight with a green salad.

Good luck and I hope you reach your goal! I wish I had started to fight back again before I got back into really bad shape.

You definitely seem to have the exercise part down pat! Good for you!
Closed Thread