General chatter - Trying to get used to 'diet' foods...

Allison2465
08-12-2009, 08:25 PM
I like all the Special K foods. Except one. I came to the conclusion this morning that the only way to eat a Special K waffle is to barely toast it… so it won’t turn to rock, then drown it w/ butter and syrup.. It still tasted like cardboard, but my puppy thought it was a great chew toy.

I ended up making myself an omelet w/ cheese :P

OOOOOPS THIS IS DEBBIE AKA THIS80SGIRL NOT MY DAUGHTER ALLISON. I WAS LOGGED INTO MY BLOG AND CAME HERE TO POST, NOT KNOWING SHE WAS STILL LOGGED IN, SORRY :)

RealCdn
08-12-2009, 08:36 PM
Honestly I never buy diet food. They're usually way too expensive, and not very good. I may occasionally mix a drink with splenda in it, and sometimes bake with brown sugar splenda (a mix of splenda and brown sugar). Why not go for a better waffle and use less butter and syrup? I'm guessing in the end you'd probably use less calories. Just a thought.

(I admit I make my own waffles - oat flour, white flour, protein powder, cinnamon, baking powder, egg whites, oil - 82 cals. A tad more work than toasting a frozen one, but totally worth it.)

midwife
08-12-2009, 09:19 PM
Hey Anne, can you please share the recipe for those waffles? Is it on your blog?

RealCdn
08-12-2009, 09:48 PM
Hey Anne, can you please share the recipe for those waffles? Is it on your blog?

If I remember to take a picture of it tomorrow morning I was planning on adding it to my recipe blog. I've been playing around to get enough batter to spread without it oozing out. I started with way more ingredients, but too thick. I originally ended up with a very filling waffle, but you needed to have a glass of water handy. This one you can eat without water and/or coffee, so it's a winner.

In the meantime:

6g oat flour (this is oats whizzed in the blender)
6g white flour
2g protein powder (I'm using a vanilla flavoured one)
1/4 tsp baking powder
1/4 tsp cinnamon
1/4 tsp oil
42g egg whites

Basically I just mix the dry ingredients together and add in the wet ones and mix well. I pour it into one side of the preheated waffle iron and spread it to make sure there aren't any holes. Cook for about 5 minutes and serve. I don't add any sweetener mainly because the protein powder has a little in it, and the syrup is kind of tangy/sweet enough to make up for it.

I started playing with pancakes (this is probably a little thin for a pancake) after I ended up making mulberry/cherry syrup... which was supposed to be jelly. Sadly I used concentrated cherry juice so it didn't have enough pectin to jell. Then I had to figure out what to serve with it. So my new favourite breakfast is:

waffle (82 cals)
1-1/2 tbsp syrup (50 cals)
smoked chicken & turkey sausage (130 cals)

262 cals to that point

... and whatever fruit is around (peaches this week, but usually oranges).

:D My diet food!

midwife
08-12-2009, 09:50 PM
Very nice!! I do the protein pancakes often but this will be a nice variation!! Thanks so much!!

RealCdn
08-12-2009, 09:55 PM
No problems. That's kind of what I love about being a (fairly decent) cook. I'm working on new recipes as I go. Ones that I can eat forever because I really enjoy them. I've tried the 'eat this' kind of diets, but it always leaves me wanting something. Now I just figure out how to make whatever I want in a better way.

My new favourite summer snack has been fudge protein popsicles. Although I'm going to start working on one using milk/cornstarch/cocoa powder instead of buying the instant pudding. Hmmm, I should put the current recipe for that up as well... http://realcdn-recipes.blogspot.com/

Oh - and for others reading. You could probably bump up the oat flour and the white flour a bit if you're not the type to have vanilla protein powder around.

beerab
08-12-2009, 10:01 PM
Eggo makes a good multigrain waffle :)

Onederchic
08-12-2009, 10:09 PM
I tried Kashi's waffle and liked it.

RealCdn
08-12-2009, 10:10 PM
Eggo makes a good multigrain waffle :)

I looked it up, pretty much the same calories too. Just a little change in the macros (mainly a little more fat, fewer carbs) than the diet product. You see that a lot with special diet products. They'll reduce fat so they can label them low fat and/or fat free, but then increase the sugar content to try and make them taste better.

RealCdn
08-13-2009, 10:37 AM
Oopsie - I was just making my waffle this morning and realized that it's 1/4 tsp of cinnamon, baking soda, and oil. So I've corrected it above!