Whole Foods Lifestyle For discussion of whole foods and more natural diets.

Old 08-09-2009, 09:43 PM   #1  

Question Movie: Food, Inc.

I went to see "Food, Inc." this weekend. Has anyone seen this?

It's a documentary about the agriculture and food industry in America. It features Michael Pollan (Omnivore's Dilemma) and Eric Schlosser (Fast Food Nation), as well as some others mentioned in Pollan's work (the Polyface Farms guy).

It was a great movie. Michael Pollan is a hero and a role model to me. I think, though, that his ideas and solutions seem pretty radical for where America is at right now. I mean, I love the idea of making sure my meat was raised by a farmer instead of a factory, but in my living situation it usually means going well out of my way to purchase it. This isn't totally undoable, but would be a bit of a transition. What I've done so far (at least on the meat front) is simply consume less of it.

Another thing that angers me, is that these large corporations who are selling us factory foods often HIDE the fact that they're doing so. I stopped at a little roadside stand in a suburb the other day to purchase some vegetables, thinking I was giving business to a local farmer. Here it turns out that the big chain grocer in town is setting up roadside stands, knowing that people will assume they are bypassing the middleman! I couldn't believe it.

The prospect of Monsanto suing people who plant their seeds really really scares me. Who ever thought gardening would become the act if dissidents??

I highly recommend everyone see this movie. The ideas presented seem "radical", but I think if the word is spread things will begin to change.
Hyacinth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2009, 10:52 PM   #2  

S/C/G: 173/171/150

Height: 5'6"

I'm actually reading Omnivore's Dilemma right now. I really want to see Food Inc (I also bought the book). It's insane, how corporations have completely bought out the government. So scary.
festivus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2009, 07:53 PM   #3  
Right foot, left foot ...

S/C/G: 285.4/262/170

Height: 5'11"

I'd also like to see it. I saw some info about it a while back and was intrigued. It really freaks me out what they do to our food and we don't even know it. Of course, I also think there's many of us that don't ask.
chickiegirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2009, 08:13 PM   #4  
Midwesterner

S/C/G: 152/116/120

Height: 5' 3"

I saw the movie a week ago and my husband and I were floored. I live in the middle of the corn belt and I had no idea some of this was going on. The stuff about Monsanto suing the seed savers was horrible. And the lady trying to raise chickens was sad.

Many issues were discussed and all were alarming. I am getting Michael Pollan's books to read. The more information people have about where there food comes from the better, but it also makes one cynical and discouraged when you see what's happening to food in this country.
murphmitch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2009, 08:44 PM   #5  
sophie

Height: 5'4"

don't get fooled that just because you are buying from a road stand or at a farmers' market that you are getting local. There was a program about how farmers are going out and buying veggies from importers, one example was garlic from foreign countries. If you are buying something and it doesn't say your state or country chances are its an import from overseas.
Remember to know what is in season. Beautiful green and red pepper is not available in April (not in my part of the country).
Sophie
sophie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2009, 12:30 AM   #6  
Midwesterner

S/C/G: 152/116/120

Height: 5' 3"

Sophie, that's funny you say that. I buy bell peppers at my farmer's market. The locally grown ones never look that great, but the ones labeled from Canada look great and that is what I usually buy.
murphmitch is offline   Reply With Quote