Diet Blogs and Journal FAQ and Help Forum - To Be Or Not To Be...Ad Free

View Full Version : To Be Or Not To Be...Ad Free

EZMONEY
08-09-2009, 08:58 PM
I have read the big chick's thread from Feb 24th 2009...

is that still the news?

I have ads and am having computer issues...

can I or can I not re-new my no ads subscription?

Ruthxxx
08-11-2009, 05:22 PM
Just spotted this now. Sorry. The ad-free option is no longer available.
Sorry II. :(

RealCdn
08-11-2009, 06:15 PM
It's too bad because, no offense, but I find a lot of the ads pretty offensive. Right now they're pushing DrB's (500 cal / vitamin shot / really expensive / killed someone), and half the time they're pushing the acai berry fraud stuff. I've honestly considered getting an ad blocker to add to my browser.

Rosinante
08-11-2009, 07:25 PM
I don't like the (apparent, cos i don't open them ) content of the ads but in the last few months they've stopped seizing up my computer, so I'm grateful.

JulieJ08
08-11-2009, 08:53 PM
Shrug. I block the ads. So they never bother me.

Onederchic
08-11-2009, 09:23 PM
Same here :D

EZMONEY
08-11-2009, 11:25 PM
Actually I have ad blocker too.

CyndiM
08-12-2009, 06:23 AM
I use Firefox with No Script and didn't even know there were ads until I saw a thread about them.

Ruthxxx
08-12-2009, 08:01 AM
They can be annoying BUT they do pay for this free site!

time2lose
08-12-2009, 08:42 AM
I would be happy to pay for an ad-free site because 3fc is a great site!

bargoo
08-12-2009, 10:44 AM
I don't find it any more annoying than ads in the newspaper or magazine, you don't have to read them. Now TV is another matter they are extremely annoying and so many of them.

RealCdn
08-12-2009, 01:10 PM
Ruth, don't get me wrong, I understand that they pay for the site to be free. I just think that most of the diet products they advertise are scams, or at the least very poor choices. It feels like 'quick fixes' shopped to desperate obese people. I admit that that bothers me a little. I'm just sorry that you don't offer the ad-free option anymore.

JulieJ08
08-12-2009, 01:44 PM
I don't find it any more annoying than ads in the newspaper or magazine, you don't have to read them. Now TV is another matter they are extremely annoying and so many of them.

Ah, well, paper ads don't blink at me (although they sometimes stink), and I never found myself reading an entirely different magazine because I accidentally touched a magazine ad ;)

shcirerf
08-12-2009, 03:12 PM
I see at the top of the page it says "ads by Google". Most likely 3fc is signed up with Google Adsense. That being the case, 3fc is not in charge of which ads go on the site.

Google picks them based on the content of the site, number of clicks on an ad and clicks converting to sales, along with a lot of other internet, affiliate marketing mumbo jumbo statisics,:dizzy: that most of us don't care 2 hoots about. Then 3fc gets a commission on anything that sells when someone clicks on an ad here and then buys something. Most of the ads also contain a 30 day tracking cookie, so even if you don't buy it today, if you come back later and buy 3fc still gets credit for the sale.

Not that the explanation makes it any better, but that's how it works with a lot of the advertising done on websites.

bargoo
08-12-2009, 03:24 PM
After all, this is what makes 3FC free for us. Thanks 3FC.

Ruthxxx
08-12-2009, 05:33 PM
Shcirerf is dead on. Google decides the ads. If one is particularly offensive and we get complaints, we contact them and it is pulled. It doesn't happen very often.

jtammy
08-15-2009, 07:15 PM
Like CyndiM, I use Firefox, and I haven't seen an ad on here in ages. In fact, I thought maybe I was still getting it ad-free (cause I did pay for that for a while) until I read that it had been discontinued. If the ads bother you, you might want to consider installing a different browser to use while you're on 3FC.

JuliaDH
08-19-2009, 05:04 PM
I tend to have tunnel vision while reading threads and dont even notice the ads unless its that smiley one that talks lol

boomerang
09-12-2011, 09:53 PM
I am EXTREMELY reluctant to comment on this issue since I am new and do not wish to offend. I have absolutely no problem with the ads in general. Today, however, there was an "animated" ad on the margin of the screen that alternated photos of Tiramisu and Chocolate layer cake.
I am attempting to start, yet again, to lose weight and eliminate my trigger foods (need I mention the BIG ONE?) and I was practically in tears. I did my best to ignore it but it was there the entire day. Not unlike most addicts, I can prepare myself to some extent, to face and resist temptation. When the trigger is unexpected, however, it is a blow in so many ways...Feels a bit like going to an OA meeting that is sponsored by Dunkin' Donuts who brings its products and leaves them on display on the sign in table.
Sorry, hope not to upset anyone with what cannot be categorized as anything but a negative comment about a site that brings so much support , for which I am so very grateful, but it is only my 2nd day and am feeling vulnerable to such unexpected stimuli.

Suzanne 3FC
09-12-2011, 10:28 PM
Yowza! Do you recall which thread it appeared on? As far as I know, the majority of ads that run on the forum are Google ads which display ads based on keywords on the page. They also display ads that are cookie based, based on the previous websites browsed from your computer. A couple of weeks ago, I accidentally clicked an ad for a certain shoe and for the next few days every site I visited that used google ads displayed ads for that same shoe. I felt like I was being stalked by a shoe salesman :lol: Usually keywords on the page will trigger the ads though.

boomerang
09-12-2011, 11:21 PM
Hi Suzanne, thank you for your sweet and gentle reply. I was so very concerned I might have offended those of you who work so very hard at this site. Today I spent most of the day in the (get ready to laugh at the irony :p), ED sections (overeating, bingeing), where I believe the add appeared and the Calorie counters. I did not click on it and please know that I have no difficulty whatsoever with the use of ads on the site.
I believe you have to do whatever is necessary to support this wonderful resource financially. I appreciate it more than you know and I can tune out most of the advertising. This one was hmmm really, really "special" :o. Sugar is my "drug of choice" and after 54 years of should we call it a one sided codependent "relationship", I am trying to break up with it. I'm seriously thinking of taking out a restraining order against it ;)

chubbyhubby
10-19-2011, 03:41 PM
I don't mind the ads. I tend to ignore them anyways, so I don't even see them anymore. I understand the site needs some income to keep running and I'm all for that.

shishkeberry
10-20-2011, 02:09 PM
I'm another one that uses Adblock for Firefox. I haven't seen ads on any site in years.

Rainbowgirl
10-20-2011, 04:56 PM
Yowza! Do you recall which thread it appeared on? As far as I know, the majority of ads that run on the forum are Google ads which display ads based on keywords on the page. They also display ads that are cookie based, based on the previous websites browsed from your computer. A couple of weeks ago, I accidentally clicked an ad for a certain shoe and for the next few days every site I visited that used google ads displayed ads for that same shoe. I felt like I was being stalked by a shoe salesman :lol: Usually keywords on the page will trigger the ads though.

:lol:This happened to me earlier this year. I was looking at getting a SeaEagle inflatable kayak, so I went to the site where you order them online and researched them some more. Then every site I went to that had ads had ads for the SeaEagle! Was happening both at home and on my work computer. Every site I went to showed this darn ad and, like you, I felt like I was being stalked by a darn boat! :dizzy:

Clearing my cookies and cache seemed to help, and I think the ad-tracker thingy expires after a while, too.