Exercise! Love it or hate it, let's motivate each other to just DO IT!

Old 08-09-2009, 07:45 PM   #1  

S/C/G: 230/230/140

Height: 5'3

Default Working through the mucsle pain after a work out...?

I have found lately that when I do intensive workouts (30DS, or the local bootcamp program) I am insanely sore for a few days afterwards...and I am not talking the good kind of sore, I am talking having to walk downstairs sideways because my thigh mucsles have ceased sore.. can not bend down for fear of falling over sore... wake me up in the middle of the night kind of sore... lol now I have stretched before and after each workout,, maybe not enough?.. I dunno.. but I am then having a hard time sticking to a schedule when one workout sets me back almost a week before I can move without any pain again... so I guess what I am wondering is.. should I just so what I can, push through,, or listen to my body and not repeat that exercise right away.. or is it possible that I am dillusional and am living in the mindset that I can do the things I used to do with no problem 6 years ago..when in reality maybe I shouldn't be starting out so intensey anymore?... I am at a loss... Does anyone else share this problem?
Cape Breton Chick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2009, 08:07 PM   #2  
Resident Pixie

S/C/G: Pant Size - 28/12/8

Height: 5'2"

Well, I certaintly didn't start out doing 30DS or anything of Jillian's, I woulda been dead for sure . Maybe try a different, lower intensity program for a bit and work up to it? I am not sure but that is what I would do. Good luck with whatever you decide
Onederchic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2009, 08:07 PM   #3  
Trying Again

Height: 5'5"

I personally would not be starting out too intense. I remember reading a sign posted at the gym that all of the muscle and endurance you build up can be lost within a matter of weeks if you don't continue exercising. I was going to the gym and busting my butt around this time last year, but when I went to the gym last week I was shocked at how little of my old routine I was really able to do.
kisskisskill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2009, 08:22 PM   #4  

I agree w/the other posters that it's probably your body telling you that you're doing too much, too soon.

Could you modify the workouts somehow? Maybe cut down the repetitions or the sets that you do? Time? I'm not familiar w/the program you're doing, so I'm not sure what the obvious modification would be.

I'm also a big fan of stretching. I stretch before and after any kind of exercise, too. Not sure if you can do too many stretches. I figure Olympic athletes always do a LOT of stretching to avoid injury during training. Well, I don't want to be injured either!
jamiewyn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2009, 08:32 PM   #5  
Half Marathoner!!!

S/C/G: A bunch/ticker/140

Height: 5'5''

I have been that sore before, too. Even though I had to walk sideways down stairs I was grinning the entire time because I felt strong for all the work that came with the soreness, lol. I did give it a few days before I did the EXACT same thing that made me that sore, but I didn't just not work out either. Whatever muslces are that sore, give em' a break of a day or two but in those two days maybe do exercise that works other muscle groups?

If you do think you are going to extreme then by all means back down a bit, I don't want you to injure yourself. Just listen to what your body is telling you.

Best of luck to you with all of your fitness goals.
EveLHaelf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2009, 08:39 PM   #6  

S/C/G: 230/230/140

Height: 5'3

Thank You all so so SO so much.. I know it is too intense to start.. but in my mind I am still capable to doing everything i USED to be able to do,,, wow.. that's a wake up call for ya.. lol well I think I will stick to starting out with the basics of Turbo Jam.. those I know I can do and the C25K .. those for me are good.. I guess JMs 30DS is gonna have to wait till the fall maybe... thanks again for all of your input.. was what I knew in my heart but needed to know it in my pride lol HUGS
Cape Breton Chick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2009, 09:03 PM   #7  

S/C/G: 211/166/139

Height: 5'7"

This happens to me after my first workout after being sedentary - like quads are going to buckle and give out walking across the street. But this feeling went away fast for me and now I have to really try hard to even get 1/10th of the soreness I got after my first workout - it will pass, maybe tone it down a little bit but definitely keep it up!
SunnyP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2009, 09:07 PM   #8  
Goddess of my universe

S/C/G: 221/see ticker/128

Height: 5' 7"

Eat a banana after you workout out, that always works for me. And make sure you really stretch and cool down properly. That will help with the soreness a lot. If you have a stretch or very mild yoga tape - do that the next day (rest day).
borntobefine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2009, 08:48 AM   #9  
Ilene the Bean

Hydrate, stretch after the workout, not before, cold muscles don't stretch well and will cause injury,unless you've done a 5-10 warm up to get the blood flowing, either by walking or cycling... I wouldn't re-do the same workout twice in a row, on the alternate days go outside and walk briskly or bike, hike, do something different...
Ilene is offline   Reply With Quote