Old 08-09-2009, 01:20 PM   #1  

Default I thought i was size 12, im size 16! im really depressed.

For ages i have been size 10/12 i thought with my weight gain over the 3 years of uni means i am now a size 12-14. My size 12 clothes fit me and some size 10 stuff too!

But i just took some measurements and looked online and im a size 16! no offence to anyone but this is the biggest i have ever been! I dont look size 16.....i just dont understand.

And im totally depressed now and demotivated. I thought ill go and get a new pair of jeans but now i dont want to at all....

im just having a little vent i guess
Romana is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2009, 01:26 PM   #2  
this time it's for real

S/C/G: 201/159/135

Height: 5'2"

sometimes those online measurement conversion thingys aren't completely accurate. plus - every clothing company sizes things completely different, so you may in fact be a 10 in one store and a 12, 14 16 or even 18 in another. you really need to try things on until you know for sure!

also - the clothes you have that are 10s and 12s have probably stretched out. this has happened to ALL my clothes - i have smaller pants that fit me from years and years ago, but when i go to the same store to buy the same pants in the same size, the new ones don't fit... so just something to keep in mind.
macky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2009, 01:26 PM   #3  
I know I can do it.

S/C/G: 193/ticker/140

Height: 5'5"

Sometimes the online sizing charts are innacurate to the fit of the clothes- so go try some jeans on! If you are in fact a size 16, use that as motivation to get back down to a size 12! Keep those measurements and instead of using them against yourself, use them to motivate you. Say, "That is not me! I'm a size 12!" and make it happen! This is working for me, right now.

Good luck girl!
carcar05 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2009, 01:32 PM   #4  

Thanks carcar!

I do need to use it to motivate myself! its just a complete shock to me!

I cant believe it....
Old 08-09-2009, 01:34 PM   #5  
Which round am I at now?

S/C/G: 158/see ticker/140

Height: 5' 5-3/4"

It really depends on your height and the kinds of clothes you are buying too.

Are they jeans? I have to buy jeans a size smaller so that they stretch, so I'm a 7/8/9. Usually I'm a 10 - 12. In shirts, I have quite a few XLs. I remember when I used to only buy M, but then my style was different and i wore everything tighter.

I have an empire waist dress that's an 8 which made me whoop, but many of my dresses are 12s, even 14 taken in a bit.

So, the number doesn'tmatter because it varies so much! Just make sure ou have clothes that fit you right The number is secondary to looking as awesome as possible for the meantime.
souvenirdarling is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2009, 01:36 PM   #6  
Closed

S/C/G: 244/165/137

Height: 5' 7"

Ya, go to Bluefly.com and see what measurements you have to have for a size 12!!!
http://www.bluefly.com/media/templat...nim_pants.html
You need a 29 inch WAIST for a size 12 for their manufactureres. Crazy!!!

Don't live by the number. Live by how you FEEL. Numbers vary from manufacturer to manufacturer and from year to year.

Kira

Last edited by kiramira; 08-09-2009 at 01:38 PM.
kiramira is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2009, 01:43 PM   #7  

S/C/G: 175/ticker/129

Height: 5'4

sizes are misleading. I have pairs of pants that are 6/7's that are way to big for e, and 9's that are tight . I have shirts that are smalls, along with large ones. so dont worry, sizing is weird.
hiimnatalie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2009, 01:46 PM   #8  

S/C/G: 337.4/322/155

Height: 5'8

Online size charts are total bull. I've often found websites where my waist size isn't even on their charts, so I order the largest size and hope it isn't too tight. More often than not, I have to exchange it for a smaller size. Now, I just go by the size I know I wear, and not what their charts say I wear. The web sites want everyone to have a hourglass shape. Sorry, my hips are small and my belly is big
Aclai4067 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2009, 01:50 PM   #9  
Happy Plodder

S/C/G: 238/158.9/138

Height: 5'2"

The last time I lost a lot of weight, I did get despondent that I wasn't getting into thin sounding clothes. The nearest I got was a UK12. I'm 5'2" and an apple. Then I realized that what mattered was a) knowing I was losing and getting healthy and a lot better looking; and b) that I could wear whatever size I wanted to look good in, I didn't have to show anyone else the lable.

This is helping me at the minute, because I can fit UK16 trousers, with a stretchy waist (have to do it that way, if I buy them with a fixed waist in my right size, they are so huge in the hips and gusset that I look like Charlie Chaplin); I have UK18 shirts that hang off me and are going on ebay soon; but my work shirt, a closely buttoned UK20, I can only wear standing up, it gapes if I sit down. It makes me so cross to have lost so much and still be in a size with a UK2 at the start of it - and then I remember: It doesn't matter what the number on the ticket says. Am I getting healthier? Am I getting hotter? If yes, then forget the ticket!
Rosinante is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2009, 01:55 PM   #10  
Soul Cyster

S/C/G: 235/seeticker/135

Height: 5'3"

I think most of us never believe how large we let ourselves get.

I was a 12 in high school then in college ballooned out, got married and still got bigger. When my 18's started getting tight I was like OMG what am I doing to myself? I refused to hit a size 20 and now I'm in a comfortable 16. I bought one pair of size 14 jeans and am using it as motivation
beerab is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2009, 01:56 PM   #11  

Thanks everyone!

People are right, its about how you look and feel and not the label.

I think the main issue i am having is actually purchasing a pair of jeans with 16 (uk) written on them!

I will try my best to motivate myself from this but i guess im just in shock and i have fooled myself for months and months.
Old 08-09-2009, 01:58 PM   #12  

Also now im not sure what i look like....

It sounds weird but i dont know how i look.

When i look in the mirror i dont look THAT big, but i must be...

Last edited by Romana; 08-09-2009 at 01:58 PM.
Old 08-09-2009, 02:26 PM   #13  
I know I can do it.

S/C/G: 193/ticker/140

Height: 5'5"

I bet you DON'T look "THAT" big. We have a stigma attached with size- it's something we need to get over. I have had a hard time accepting my new "chubby clothes" size, but you know what- I get compliments quite often on how good I look because I've embraced it and found clothes that FLATTER my fuller figure. If you dress well you will not look as big as you assume you look.
Confidence is the deal breaker- if you have confidence and love the clothes you wear, regardless of the size, you will be a knock out and feel great. Good luck!
carcar05 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2009, 02:56 PM   #14  

S/C/G: 273/260.1/163

Height: 5'7"

I wouldn't be depressed, because each store will fit SO differently, so while you might be a 16 in one store, you might be a 12 in another.

I have a size 18 from old navy in work pants, I bought them because my size 14's from Reitmans (canadian clothing store) were falling off my butt.

So I can definitely relate.. but don't get depressed because it won't help you with weight loss! Keep going, and you'll be in a 12 in NO time!

-Aimee
SwimGirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2009, 09:46 PM   #15  
At 5:00

S/C/G: 207/195/120

Height: 5'3''

Size ain't nothing but a number. Haha. Yeah. I can fit into at least three different sizes depending on the brand. Don't be too put off by it. It should motivate you.
wednesdaymorning is offline   Reply With Quote