Looking Good, Feeling Great Plus to Petite Shopping, the Home Spa, and Beauty Tips for Beautiful Chicks

Old 08-08-2009, 03:21 PM   #1  

S/C/G: 282/257/when it feels right

Default Braces off? Let's talk retainers..........

Okay just a little history I have always had a little gap between my 2 front teeth nothing major but it bothered me. Anyway when I was 13 yrs old I begged my father for braces (b/c of the gap and I liked the look too) but my dentist said I didn't need braces just a hawley retainer so to make a long story short I wore it the gap closed and eventually I stopped wearing it.

We switched dentist and I don't remember being told that I needed to wear the retainer once the gap closed. So moving foward several years later around the age of 22 yrs old I noticed the gap coming back.

I finally decided at 35 yrs old that I wanted this gap closed which seemed to have gotten bigger since having my wisdom teeth taken out. So in November I finally got the ceramic braces and they will be coming off next month and now I'm thinking about the retainer.

My last visit the orthodonist assistant said when I get them off I'll get a permanent retainer then get fitted for one and have to come back later that day to pick it up. She kind of threw it out there and I didn't give it much thought until I started researching online and am kind of freaking out about having a bonded retainer.

Of course I will talk to my orthodontist when I go back but just wanted to hear from others who have retainers what kind do you have and if you had a choice in what kind and the pros and cons of the kind you have. TIA
K-boogie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2009, 04:10 PM   #2  

Height: 5'8"

My mom was always pulling really heavily for the permanent retainer, but I said no.

I had the clear one at first. Then I had the clear one at second. After throwing away three pairs of clear retainers and having to buy new ones, I switched to the ugly metal kind, and only wear them at night.

And guess what? My mom was SO RIGHT. I should've got the permanent retainer. So much easier.
aphrodite is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2009, 04:15 PM   #3  

I know orthodontists that do it both ways.I have removable retainers.Not too bad really.Down to just wearing them occasionally.
harrismm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2009, 05:07 PM   #4  
Just keep breathing!

S/C/G: 191.7/191.7/145

Height: 5'5

My guy has a permanent retainer on his bottom teeth - he doesn't even notice it, and it's not visible at all. When I had my braces off I had the invisalign type retainer - which IS noticeable, and I thought it was extremely uncomfortable so I didn't wear it - and now my gap is also back!
GradPhase is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2009, 01:42 PM   #5  

Let me just say that it is so imporant for you to wear your retainers... i don't like the permanement retainers because it is hard to floss.... Orthodontist need to make itmore clear how important a retainer is and that it is part of your treatment and that treatment is not over.

I blogged about my experience on
bracesreview DOT com of having braces on TWICE because I didnt wear my retainer enough.

I hope others can learn from my mistake.
JackThomas is offline   Reply With Quote