Old 08-05-2009, 07:35 PM   #1  

Height: 4'11"

Default Ugh, I'm feeling the school days blues (OT)

I should probably post this in the depression forum, but I feel more at home here.

My kids start back to school on the 17th, and I HATE the thought of them going. I go through this every year. The worst year was when my oldest started kindergarten. Since then every year it's been tough right around this time. Today someone asked me when the kids started school and I got teary just thinking about it.

Anyway, I just wanted to come here to say that I will not be drowning my sorrows in even the smallest morsel of junk food. It will not make me feel better for more than 5 seconds, and in the long run will only make me feel worse.

The kids go to great schools, and I will be glad to have time to myself. I will miss them, but I know in a month I'll be fine.

No junk food. No way, uh uh.
thinpossible is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2009, 07:40 PM   #2  
unabashed

S/C/G: 344/321/220

Height: 5'5

Awesome attitude hon!

congrats on learning not to eat emotionally.

Also, with the kids at school, more time to exercise

hehe
lottie63 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2009, 07:53 PM   #3  

S/C/G: 332/270/160

Height: 5"7'

I totally feel you on this one! Though, I do work full-time and that takes the sting away but my middle boy is starting Kindie this year and I feel so lost about it. He's my sweet boy! I work the whole day they are gone so I'm not sure why I feel like way.

Lottie's right, now you can use your time for you!!
SnowboundChick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2009, 07:54 PM   #4  

S/C/G: 290/See Ticker/150

Height: 5ft 4 inches

I'm sorry...but I do understand. I have two going back (one into 4th grade and one into 2nd grade). It makes me sad too. At least I have 2 more little ones that will be home for awhile to make me feel better. I can share them with you if you want.
irishsarah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2009, 08:47 PM   #5  
Linda

Height: 5'0"

You know, it's really hard for me as well, every year when they go back! My son is 11 and starting grade 7, my daughter is 8 and starting grade 3.

It's worse thinking of my son, because he is pubescent, has some minor learning disabilities, and he's a bit socially awkward. Also (insert mommy issues here...lol) grade 7 was when school started to get really awful for me!
My daughter is much easier, she's a social butterfly...no problems academically, and she loves school.

I HATE those commercials that they start playing at the beginning of August...especially the one where a guy is singing "It's the Most Wonderful Time of the Year". Maybe for some parents, but not me

Side note: WOW you guys go back SO early! Mine aren't back until September 8th! They got off on June 25th. Are all US schools timed that way? We're in BC, Canada.

BIG for you!
Linda
famograham is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2009, 09:25 PM   #6  

S/C/G: 165/155/140

Our kids schedules differ because(Alabama chic here) up North u guys have more snow and that pushes your time into the summer. My kids got out May 21. So, there is the tie dif. As for the first topic, last year I went into a slight depression at the beginning of the year. Not only was I caring for my own but I also had my sweet 3 month old nephew that went to a closer sitter(and fam member) all at once they were all gone it was terrible!! I a more focused on not letting that happen so let's keep our fingers crossed!!!!!!
Jokan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2009, 09:46 PM   #7  
Linda

Height: 5'0"

Actually, Vancouver Island is pretty much the Mediterranean of Canada, so I'm not sure that's the reason
We have many winters with no snow at all (not this year however...we had lots!)
famograham is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2009, 10:10 PM   #8  
Loving life!!

S/C/G: 360/159/145

Height: 5' 8"

I'm sorry

I'm a little excited about mine starting school though well not my 3 year old, I'm trying her out going to a church preschool 2 days a week so I can actually do some work at home during the day. I have no idea how I'm going to take having my mini-me gone even for 2 days...why not volunteer at the school since you'll have some down time? I'll be doing it when I can!
TJFitnessDiva is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2009, 12:02 AM   #9  
banned

S/C/G: 190/114/125

Height: 5'3"

Count me as one who absolutely cannot wait for school to start! I have a junior in high school, a 5th grader and a 3rd grader this year. They are all bored at home. We go back August 24th..............I go back to work driving the school bus too.
TamiL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2009, 05:00 AM   #10  

S/C/G: 298/298/150

Height: 5ft 7

aw hun, i am so sorry you are feeling this way. my son is only 2, but the thought of him heading off to school everyday scares the life out of me. i think what you are feeing is very normal!

you have a fantastic attitude towards it tho! and as the other ladies said, more time for yourself means more time for exercise!!

hope the feeling goes quickly.
Bonnie+J is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2009, 07:34 AM   #11  
Live with Intention

S/C/G: 260.6/see ticker/160

Height: 5'7"

I'm on my way out the door right now to take my daughter to school. Yes, we go back today! I'm happy that I'm not sad, but then I've been doing this quite a few years. My girl is going rule the school as a senior! She looks great in her new clothes and only needs her special McDonald's first day of school breakfast.

I won't be eating and will be going to the gym afterwards.
Pita09 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2009, 11:12 AM   #12  
yay! summertime!

S/C/G: 265/235/135

Height: 5'7"

I know how you feel, ThinPossible --- and now that my son is in high school, the whole thing seems even a little more bittersweet. We are starting to talk about college and if we can afford him to go out of state, etc. How can the boy in my head that is still 10 be standing on the very brink of adulthood?

Good for you for acknowledging your emotions without feeding them! I will follow your very good lead.....
Numina is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2009, 11:26 AM   #13  
Diane

S/C/G: 294/258.0/180

Height: 5'6"

I think it is harder with little ones or with much older ones who are going off to college. I'm so ready for my kids to go back to school. They are in the 8th and 9th grade, so they are getting the "bored" attitude going. I work full time, so it doesn't affect me that way, but I can tell they are getting a little stagnant and need some challenges.
Slashnl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2009, 11:34 AM   #14  

S/C/G: 288/seeticker/140

Height: 5'4"

My son starts his first year of school (Pre-K, which here is part of the normal school circulum) on the 26th. I'm more nervous than anything. He got to go a couple days a week the last month of last year so I'm sure he'll be okay with the seperation...I'm just wondering how Mom's going to handle it....
TaraLee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2009, 11:39 AM   #15  

S/C/G: 310/234.5/130

Height: 5'6"

Good morning ladies...My daughter doesn't start school, 8th grade until september 7, but they didn't get out until July 18 because of snow days. This summer has been special...My daughter stayed with us because my boyfriend had neck surgery and she stayed to help and keep his spirits up instead of visiting her father out of state. Even though I'm working alot from now till the end of summer, It's very nice to have her home.....

I do get a little sad on first day of school every year, but it is also an exciting time and it is wonderful to see my daughter flower into a beautiful young woman.

Awsome job on realizing the trigger for eating and good job on doing great...hugs.
ernurse is offline   Reply With Quote