Food Talk And Fabulous Finds - How Can I Jazz up Celery?

View Full Version : How Can I Jazz up Celery?

Onederchic
08-05-2009, 06:12 PM
I think the title of the thread says it all :D

Ideas needed brilliant people :D

nelie
08-05-2009, 06:13 PM
My vote is hummus. I love making garlicky hummus and dipping celery into it.

Onederchic
08-05-2009, 06:16 PM
I have never had hummus either. Seems I have lived a very tight and bad food life. Time to expand maybe? :o

Get n healthy
08-05-2009, 07:57 PM
Hummus or peanut butter or low fat laughing cow cheese

tommy
08-05-2009, 09:18 PM
I still have deeply ingrained issues with celery as "diet food", and have trouble with celery sticks. I have found that really crisp celery (especially the more green stalks), thinly sliced, is almost a different vegetable. It works in any low fat slaw as extra crunch. Toss into stir fries before serving. IT makes its own salad that keeps for a few days with lemon juice, mustard and a touch a good oil. I like to keep difference salads like that in the fridge so I can throw together a plate for lunch or dinner quickly with variety.

Onederchic
08-05-2009, 09:31 PM
Thanks ya'll!!

Beck
08-05-2009, 09:49 PM
Definitely hummus! Babaganoush (eggplant dip) would be good, bean dip, peanut butter, tehina (with garlic, lemon juice, cilantro), chopped into egg salad

BlueToBlue
08-05-2009, 11:21 PM
I love celery dipped in salsa! I also like it with cream cheese (non-fat or low fat, of course).

I make a lightened "Waldorf Salad" with celery: 4 oz diced celery, 6 oz peeled and diced oz apple, 4 oz halved grapes, 2 tbsp non-fat yogurt, 2 tbsp fat free mayonnaise, 1-2 tsp SF Torani or other sweetener, 1/4 tsp salt, 1/4 tsp pepper, and 1 oz chopped cashews. Mix it all together and it makes four servings about about 100 calories per serving. I eat it on whole wheat bread with turkey.

If you have a lot of celery that you need to use up, you can add it to all sorts of recipes--tuna salad, egg salad, soups, casseroles, stir fry, etc. At only 4 calories per ounce, it adds a lot of volume and hardly any calories to any recipe.

Tonight I am making pasta with diced ham, blanched green beans, blanched celery, cream cheese and a little milk, dijon mustard, and blue cheese.

Onederchic
08-05-2009, 11:34 PM
Thanks Beck and Barbara :D

SunshineCA
08-08-2009, 04:46 PM
What they ^^^ said. :)

Also try spreading tuna on a few stalks. Yummy! :)

I also like mine with Laughing Cow Lite Cheese sprinkled with hot pepper flakes. Quite delish! ;)

DanSinDeva
08-09-2009, 06:37 PM
I just had fried celery. It was fantastic, a little bit of oil goes along way. The recipe was 4 stalks of celery cut up into useable slices then, shred them, the thinner the slice the less it taste like celery. 1 tbsp of oil, a small red pepper, and 2 tbsp of soy sauce.

I think you can use the whole head of celery i cut each stalk into 3's and then turned it cup side down and shredded it. I used red pepper flakes because that is all i had, i used a tsp and then towards the end i shook some more over it, as i like spicy stuff. It was not spicy at all. I liked it more brown as well too.

Here is the link if i've confused anyone..I made it last week for the first time...it was soooo good!

http://www.recipezaar.com/Spicy-Fried-Celery-23818

DanSinDeva
08-09-2009, 06:38 PM
Oh yeah, i left out the sugar too.

Onederchic
08-10-2009, 12:32 PM
What they ^^^ said. :)

Also try spreading tuna on a few stalks. Yummy! :)

I also like mine with Laughing Cow Lite Cheese sprinkled with hot pepper flakes. Quite delish! ;)

Just a fyi - the past few days I have been eating a few celery stalks with 1/2 can tuna mixed with a spoon of mustard and I like it so thanks for the tip :D

SunshineCA
08-13-2009, 06:26 PM
Just a fyi - the past few days I have been eating a few celery stalks with 1/2 can tuna mixed with a spoon of mustard and I like it so thanks for the tip :D

Kewl! You're welcome! ;)

SunshineCA
08-13-2009, 06:27 PM
I don't know if you like hot sauce/Tabasco or not, but every now and then I dash a little on my tuna. Yum-O! :)

sharongracepjs
08-13-2009, 06:37 PM
I endorse the suggestions of hummus, peanut butter, cottage cheese, lf cream cheese, etc.

Here's another: make skinny egg salad (mash up a boiled egg with a tblspn of lf yogurt and a sprinkle of salt; season with a lot or a little mustard depending on taste; add a bit of relish if you like it but I prefer a sprinkle of cajun seasoning) and eat it in celery boats instead of on toast.

Onederchic
08-13-2009, 06:46 PM
Thanks again Sunshine!

And thank you as well, Sharon. I will have to try out the skinny egg salad :D

SunshineCA
08-13-2009, 07:28 PM
Thanks again Sunshine!

As always, you're welcome! :)

zibsca
08-13-2009, 08:48 PM
Have you tried Marmite? It has a VERY strong taste and a little goes a lonnnng way.

Onederchic
08-13-2009, 08:54 PM
I have never even heard of marmite..I shall go google now :D

bacilli
08-13-2009, 09:24 PM
Is Marmite anything like Vegemite? I have a theory about Vegemite. If you're not a born and raised Aussie, Vegemite is absolutely an acquired taste. I like to think I'm an adventurous eater, I've not turned down a "new" food because I found it to be weird. That being said, Vegemite is the only food, ever, that I couldn't force myself to swallow. To me, it tastes like flat, rancid Oatmeal Stout beer served on a salt lick. I thought maybe it was just me, but I abused everyone at work a few years ago and made them all try it, and not a single person could stomach it. These are the same friends that eat CHITLINS. Yet every Aussie I've ever encountered finds it to be food from the Gods.

souvenirdarling
08-13-2009, 11:28 PM
Seriously - anchovies. It's a weird Italian immigrant thing. The extreme salt of anchovies is nice with the cold, water crunch of celery.

Other kinds of fish I have enjoyed with it too.

I've enjoyed it with a homemade sandwhich spread of soft tofu, roasted garlic and pepper spice, and mock-crab.

Onederchic
08-18-2009, 01:15 PM
Thank you :D

fitnessgal
08-20-2009, 11:37 AM
Natural peanut butter is always a winner at our house :)

Onederchic
08-20-2009, 11:56 AM
Thank you :)

SailorWife
08-22-2009, 03:38 AM
I think the title of the thread says it all :D

Ideas needed brilliant people :D

I dip it in Light Ranch Dressing. It's good for low-carb diets. Just make sure you do the serving size, put it in a little dish, and dip smaller so it lasts longer. :] You'll end up filling up on the celery instead of the ranch.

Also, depending on what type of food diet you're on.. Ants on a Log? I've always loved those.

Peanut butter in the celery then raisons placed along the peanut butter. :] Cute, filling, and tastes mmm mmm good.

:D

Onederchic
08-22-2009, 09:19 AM
Thank you so much!

Jacquie668
08-23-2009, 12:02 PM
Ew I hate celery plain, so I've been making nut cheeses and so far LOVE it.

What I did this week is blend raw cashews (1/3-1/2 cup), fresh dill (a few handfuls), garlic (i did 2 cloves as i'm not a garlic fan), lemon juice (1/4-1/3 cup or just squeeze a lemon), a bit of salt, some water. I blended it up and it was very good :D.

You can pretty much do anything with a recipe like that. The other way, hummus, tried and true. If you are a cheese fan, you can try cottage cheese with maybe some spices thrown in. Make it something fun and interesting, maybe like a curry flavor. I dunno, just suggestions. I don't eat dairy, so I have been experimenting with ways to spruce up things like carrots and celery. So far nut cheeses are a hit with me haha. Rich and creamy. :D

mayness
08-24-2009, 09:48 AM
http://www.kraftfoods.com/kf/recipes/easy-asian-veggie-dip-113453.aspx

I made this today for the first time, to dip celery in... I used the "light" version of the dressing, and natural PB. I only had a little taste while mixing it up, but it was good, I'm looking forward to eating it for my morning snack today!