General chatter - IN THE NEWS - PETA to target kids with disturbing "Unhappy Meals"

Onederchic
08-05-2009, 02:37 PM
An excerpt that I find disturbing

"...The "Unhappy Meal" that PETA will give to children - a spoof of a Happy Meal - will include a "menacing, knife-wielding" Ronald McDonald cutout, a ketchup packet disguised as chicken blood, a plastic chicken covered in "blood" and a "McCruelty" t-shirt..."

That is taking things a bit too far, in my opinion.

Full Article here - http://www.cbs6albany.com/news/peta-1265297-chicken-mcdonald.html

kiahna23
08-05-2009, 03:00 PM
It is taking things too far...I dont eat McDonalds and I would rather starve than to EVER eat it! YUCK! I do love PETA and what they stand for though....Im trying to make the transition from meat eater to vegan....With the exception of fish...

Onederchic
08-05-2009, 03:07 PM
I don't have kids but if I did and someone gave them stuff like that, I would be whoopin some ***, for real.

nelie
08-05-2009, 03:09 PM
Peta is about shock value and that is what they are going for. They can offer to give the 'unhappy meals' to the children but I'm also assuming their parents will be with them and can reject.

HotWings
08-05-2009, 03:09 PM
When they start targeting KIDS... it p!sses me off. Kids should not be pawns in their little game - or any game for that matter. They need to step off. I understand some of the things they do, and they have brought to light animal cruelty issues that was badly needed.. but I really cannot stand the way they use "shock" crap to stay in the media spotlight. It's annoying - and actually kind of pathetic.

HotWings
08-05-2009, 03:12 PM
I don't have kids but if I did and someone gave them stuff like that, I would be whoopin some ***, for real.

Exactly - someone's *** would be handed to them on a platter if that was handed to either of my kids.

nelie
08-05-2009, 03:14 PM
I'm also assuming their main goal is to get McDonalds to change their food source practices and it really isn't to 'get them while they are young' but to go after the customers since going directly to McDonalds probably didn't work. Although I don't understand most of the things Peta does and although I happily follow a vegan diet, I think I would've gone vegetarian a lot sooner if I wasn't off put by certain organizations and their practices.

L R K
08-05-2009, 03:21 PM
I don't agree with any kind of animal cruelty but this is going a little too far. Kids do not know better and should not be targeted to help the cause.

luvja
08-05-2009, 03:27 PM
I disagree with that. That is taking things too far. PETA takes things overboard. And if somebody handed my child an "Unhappy meal", I would shove where the sun don't shine. Better believe it.

beerab
08-05-2009, 03:28 PM
PETA while their intentions are noble their practices are terrible.

This is one of those things the ends do NOT justify the means....

Onederchic
08-05-2009, 05:33 PM
Yeah, I reckon it was suppose to happen down in Albany which is about 30 minutes from where I live. My bf said if he didn't have to work, he would be tempted to take his kid there just to see if someone tried to give him an "unhappy pack" so he could give them a pack of his own :o :rofl:

EZMONEY
08-05-2009, 08:36 PM
I like my :chicken: chicken fried and in a PETA pocket

oh and before you get all :mad:....I am against cruelty to animals!

Beck
08-05-2009, 08:45 PM
Shameful. I don't eat at McD's (or any fast food for that matter; we keep kosher), and my children have never eaten meat (raising them pescatarians), but I would be very upset if someone handed this to my child, or any other for that matter. PETA continues to step over the line.

Onederchic
08-05-2009, 08:46 PM
I like my :chicken: chicken fried and in a PETA pocket

oh and before you get all :mad:....I am against cruelty to animals!

junebug41
08-05-2009, 10:19 PM
So I'm guessing no one else found this remotely funny? I think a kid walking around wtih a knife wielding ronald mcdonald and a McCruelty tshirt would be hilarious. Granted, I don't think PETA actually intends to do this, only to draw attention to their tactics, but still.

McCruelty :lol:

TJFitnessDiva
08-05-2009, 10:31 PM
I'm not a fan of PETA at all (I'm a wildlife rehabilitator and have been targeted by local members since I *gasp* use an aviary for my injured birds of prey) ....I'm against animal cruelty but they are the "shock jocks" of animal rights/cruelty organizations. I would rather make a difference in a more positive way.

Onederchic
08-05-2009, 11:46 PM
I agree, Tanee!

And on a side note - No, I don't think it would be even mildly funny to see a kid running around with that crap :no:, sorry.

junebug41
08-06-2009, 12:03 AM
I don't think kids eating happy meals are funny, either.

Oh well :shrug:

Continue with your outrage :)

TJFitnessDiva
08-06-2009, 12:11 AM
My kids haven't had a Happy meal or any other fast food in almost a year ;) In fact most of the meat we eat now are freshly caught shrimp and fish that we catch. I will always be a meat eater so there is always a part of me that will participate in something PETA is against no matter how mindful I am of it. Oh well!

junebug41
08-06-2009, 12:16 AM
Keep in mind that I mentioned it was funny because PETA would never get away with doing something like that. And if they did, I'd imagine the parents snapping it up would be PETA supporters, not unsuspecting 6 year olds walking to school.

I guess I don't see what all the horror is about, especially when a lot of kid play involves guns/knives/war/combat anyway? How is this so different?

I just laughed and shook my head because those wacky PETA people are at it again...

HotWings
08-06-2009, 12:40 AM
Well, we teach our kids to respect all life and to never be cruel. My kids think baby chicks and chickens are cute. They know meat comes from animals - chicken nuggets from chickens. But at this age (6 & 8) the realities of killing chickens for meat (someone stabbing them, blood, guts, etc.) is not appropriate, IMO. My kids would be traumatized.. not so much about seeing the chicken dead with blood all over it (although my youngest would likely cry), but by knowing that an adult purposely did this to them.. they would not understand why an adult would give them something horrible (packaged as something they might be excited about getting) and think it is appropriate and okay. It's not okay. So.. yes, cruelty toward children (as well as cruelty toward animals), gets me stirred up. But given the choice? My kids well being is much more important than an animal. Let your kids run around in the shirts and giggle about it... I'd never do it. :)

junebug41
08-06-2009, 06:53 AM
Don't put words into my mouth (or posts).

Anything to fuss about, I guess.

Deana
08-06-2009, 08:04 AM
So I'm guessing no one else found this remotely funny? I think a kid walking around wtih a knife wielding ronald mcdonald and a McCruelty tshirt would be hilarious. Granted, I don't think PETA actually intends to do this, only to draw attention to their tactics, but still.

McCruelty :lol:

Don't worry, the first thing I did when I read it was laugh, all sorts of crazy visual images fluttered through my head.

HotWings
08-06-2009, 10:08 AM
Don't put words into my mouth (or posts).

Anything to fuss about, I guess.

Hey junebug: My apologies for the snarky comment at the end. Not my usual.. I see I posted that just before midnight last night when my butt should have been in BED. :D I still think the same about the whole thing, and am not one of those "anything to fuss about" kind of people (though I admit I may have deserved that remark!). It's just the whole kids and animals thing for me. I guess everyone has their triggers on certain things. I'm sure some of the things I find funny others would not.

SO.. sorry for any rudeness! That could have been worded a lot better than it was! :cool:

Tracy
08-07-2009, 09:24 AM
I am a member of PETA.They have done amazing things making people accountable for mistreating animals. But, I don't think children should be involved. But, if their parents are there to explain the reason for those things then,I don't see a problem. It's all in the hands of the parents what they want their children to see on tv,eat,etc.

SunshineCA
08-08-2009, 04:24 PM
:nono: :dizzy: :eek: :shrug: :fr: :no: :tape: :ziplip: :chicken: :burger: :yikes: :mcd: :rofl:

http://www.mccruelty.com/media/images/unhappyMeal.jpg

http://images.townnews.com/nhregister.com/content/articles/2009/06/18/news/new_haven/a1_--_mcbad.jpg

http://blog.peta.org/archives/Lancaster1.JPG

http://americanradioworks.publicradio.org/features/mcdonalds/images/PETAunhappy.gif

SunshineCA
08-08-2009, 04:25 PM
:lol: The little boy in the picture above looks as if he's not sure if he wants to be there or not. :lol:

Onederchic
08-08-2009, 06:37 PM
Umm..

This is from the PETA site -

"It's the animals who deserve a break today, and kids can give them one by recognizing that Ronald McDonald isn't a clown, he's a murderer."

Poor Ronald :o

harrismm
08-08-2009, 06:58 PM
...I think we should all have a beer summit and discuss it!

Onederchic
08-08-2009, 07:02 PM
Hehe :D

Tracy
08-09-2009, 02:45 PM
Knowledge Is Power!

Onederchic
08-09-2009, 02:58 PM
The knowledge I'll be taking away is -

PETA are extremists that take things too damn far.

indiegrlx
08-09-2009, 03:13 PM
Peta is so annoying! I don't have a problem with what they try to do, but the way they do it, by making good things awful and evil is just wrong. also there is a problem with humane treatment of animals- they aren't human!

EZMONEY
08-09-2009, 05:18 PM
...I think we should all have a beer summit and discuss it!

My :) HAPPY MEAL :) comes with a frosted mug ;)

Umm..

This is from the PETA site -

"It's the animals who deserve a break today, and kids can give them one by recognizing that Ronald McDonald isn't a clown, he's a murderer."

Poor Ronald :o

And I just thought RONALD was the greatest marketing tool ever.

The knowledge I'll be taking away is -

PETA are extremists that take things too damn far.

Once again...I am against cruelty to animals..I am for eating meat...I am disgusted at the pictures of the knife/happy meals etc.

I think PETA will lose much more than they will gain in this attempt to scare people.

kiramira
08-09-2009, 05:26 PM
Knowledge Is Power!

Hey, knowledge ISN'T power! If it was, librarians would rule the world! It is the effective use of the appropriate information that leads to power...

And THIS is ridiculous...leave the kids alone. Leave the corporation alone (it isn't like they're the only ones serving up burgers). If you wanna eat meat, enjoy. If you are a vegetarian, enjoy. But agenda-pushing in this way only turns people off of the important issues that PETA should be concerned about.

On a side note, my dear BIL has a bumpersticker that says:

I am a PROUD member of PETA --
People for the
Eating and
Tasting of
Animals

Kira

Wolf Goddess
08-09-2009, 06:59 PM
But at this age (6 & 8) the realities of killing chickens for meat (someone stabbing them, blood, guts, etc.) is not appropriate, IMO.

My father grew up on a farm, and when he was younger he helped hold baby piglets as his uncle cut their testacles off so they wouldn't breed.

While I think their propaganda is silly and inappropriate, I do think that educating people about the treatment of animals in industry is a great idea - including children. Just in a different way.

nelie
08-09-2009, 09:55 PM
On a side note, my dear BIL has a bumpersticker that says:

I am a PROUD member of PETA --
People for the
Eating and
Tasting of
Animals

Kira

I am not a member of Peta and I do think their antics go too far but I have to say that the above joke has been overplayed like a tired record. I didn't think it was funny before I went vegetarian and I still don't think it is funny.

JulieJ08
08-09-2009, 10:28 PM
Peta is so annoying! I don't have a problem with what they try to do, but the way they do it, by making good things awful and evil is just wrong. also there is a problem with humane treatment of animals- they aren't human!

The first more than half a dozen definitions of humane I looked at do not specify how humans are treated, they specify how humans *act.*

kiramira
08-09-2009, 11:20 PM
Meh...just saying what my Albertan beef-loving BIL has on his bumper...I'd personally never heard it before!

Kira

nelie
08-09-2009, 11:21 PM
True Julie, here is the definition from Webster:
* Main Entry: hu∑mane
* Pronunciation: \hyŁ-ˈmān, yŁ-\
* Function: adjective
* Etymology: Middle English humain
* Date: circa 1500

1 : marked by compassion, sympathy, or consideration for humans or animals

Also, it isn't that Peta lies about how animals are mistreated and horrible conditions in which animals are put under. It is just that they think the best way to present the truth is with increased shock value.

My recommendation for those that want to get a real, unbiased view of animal treatment, then watch Earthlings (available on Google video). It is an award winning documentary.

Edited to add (Thanks Mandalinn for reminding me) - By being real and being a documentary, it is very graphic and can be very hard to watch. Some people report having no issue watching it. I will admit I cried during some of it.

nelie
08-09-2009, 11:25 PM
Kira, and I was just saying I don't think it is amusing. Peta isn't a vegetarian organization, it is an animal rights organization. Vegetarians hear it all the time even if they have nothing to do with Peta.

mandalinn82
08-09-2009, 11:31 PM
Just one warning on Earthlings - it's graphic. Honest about how animals are treated, but in a graphic way. So be aware of that before you watch!

dcapulet
08-09-2009, 11:55 PM

:D thank you for writing that, so i don't have to.

i have two kids, and i would be P.O'd major if someone gave that to them. Especially my daughter, who is so sensitive, who loves animals soo much.

honestly, i have never been a fan of PETA because of things like this. It's just more scare tactics to get us to conform to ideas. While I realize that PETA is not the only company doing this, it still makes me angry. (as it does when ever I see things like this.) Especially because PETA hides behind the idea that they are doing it to aid animals.

helwa588
08-10-2009, 12:08 AM
PETA has always been full of you know what. I really don't care for Mcdonalds. I only have Mcdonalds about a few times a year. food doesn't just sit well with me. But PETA's intentions are not all that good. They are always targeting kids. and as a result the kids start thinking there is something wrong with their parents for letting me eat meat.

I think kids should be off limits when you are promoting a certain lifestyle. Because it's up the parents to decide what kinda of eating lifestyle their kids will. It's not PETA's place to preach to kids like this.

CamiToo
08-10-2009, 01:11 AM
If I had kids that PETA subjected to their fanaticism I'd be furious! PETA has no right to force their views on others and their antics seriously disgust me.:barf:

I wear leather and fur. I eat animals. This will never change. I rarely eat McDonald's but if I saw that nonsense at a McD's here, I'd go off my eating plan for a meal and eat there.:cbg:

nelie
08-10-2009, 09:13 AM
And THIS is ridiculous...leave the kids alone. Leave the corporation alone (it isn't like they're the only ones serving up burgers). If you wanna eat meat, enjoy. If you are a vegetarian, enjoy. But agenda-pushing in this way only turns people off of the important issues that PETA should be concerned about.

I was actually thinking about this more earlier today.

They aren't really targeting kids, especially based on the pictures that someone posted. They are targeting the corporation.

I'm not sure how would be a good way to initiate change but imagine if a corporation took the initiative to buy their animal products from sources that actually took care of the animals in such a way that they weren't mistreated, weren't living in horrid conditions and didn't need to be injected with tons of hormones.

I know there are many individuals that are making strides to make better choices as where their animal products are sourced from but huge corporations can definitely make a bigger impact.

For myself, I recently decided to feed my dogs eggs. I have to say it has been difficult to find a good source of eggs where the chickens actually get to see the sun and actually get to touch real ground rather than live in crowded conditions or worse, in tiny cages. I had to go to a health food store and then they only had 1 option even there.

I think changes are happening but they are slowly and I do think getting the backing of corporations would help. Of course having said that, the best way to a corporations heart is generally through their pocketbooks so if people do start to look at food sources, maybe then places like McDonald's would start listening. The good news is there is a lot of good mainstream information coming out to help inform people about their food.

kiramira
08-10-2009, 09:33 AM
I really believe in alot of the PETA principles, but I don't extend this to vegetarianism for me and me alone (this is not a value judgement with respect to different food beliefs!) I believe that we as sentient beings really need to look at how we treat all creatures of this world.

But it has always surprised me that the radical members of PETA believe it is ethical to treat other humans cruelly in order to ensure that humans treat animals ethically...doesn't make sense...

Kira

nelie
08-10-2009, 09:50 AM
As I said, Peta isn't a vegetarian organization, they are an animal rights organization. They definitely support vegetarianism but from my understanding many within Peta aren't vegetarians. I don't believe their goal is to turn people into vegetarians but to treat animals humanely where they are used.

I actually don't know much about Peta other than their sensationalism but I am sure they don't view showing realistic pictures or even saying hateful things as cruel versus the torture animals have to endure. It may not be ethical but that doesn't mean it is cruel.

kiramira
08-10-2009, 10:01 AM
I guess I was referring to paint throwing incidents (which is the same as assault) that were rampant a few years ago, vandalism, harassment of public figures (the Mayor of New York City was their last target) and the targeting of children in order to cause them distress in this last campaign. It isn't a benign as simply educating people through pictures and photos.

Kira

nelie
08-10-2009, 10:49 AM
I don't know about paint throwing or vandalism as part of Peta agenda, which it could've been, I thought a lot of that was taken on by individuals but then again, who knows? I didn't saying it was just showing pictures, I also mentioned saying hateful things which may be part of harassment of public figures you mention? I don't know. They do definitely play into the verbal abusive arena from the little I have seen.

And as I said, based on the pictures, they don't really seem to be targeting kids but rather the corporation itself.

I don't personally belong to any groups but becoming vegetarian has certainly brought to light many groups that are so unlike PETA and really are educational rather than sensational. I think PETA gets a lot of recognition because of their sensationalism and they may view that as good but really, I think it creates a lot of unnecessary conflict.