Does it Work? - Sketchers Shape Up Shoes - Anyone tried them?

Chrztina
08-05-2009, 09:03 AM
I just saw a quick commercial on Sketchers Shape Up Shoes. They look like a regular walking shoe, only with a thicker (bouncy or springy?) sole. They cost over $100 so I thought I'd check to see what others thought before buying.

You can check them out at sketchers.com (I can't post links yet).

stellarosa27
08-05-2009, 01:48 PM
Here's an Amazon link:
http://www.amazon.com/s/?ie=UTF8&keywords=skechers+shape+ups&tag=googhydr-20&index=shoes&hvadid=3487702397&ref=pd_sl_94a1ivwu4w_b

The whole premise behind these is that they make your walking inefficient, thus making your body burn more calories. It seems like they're gearing them more for walking shoes, and if so, they may help, but maybe not.

Tomato
08-05-2009, 04:20 PM
Out of curiosity, I clicked the link as I wanted to see what they look like.
I don't know - I would really hesitate to spend the $$ on them. I think I would prefer to keep my less efficient regular running shoes and some jogging instead (that is, if I didn't have plantar fasciitis). AND keep my money.

I also scrolled down and found ANTI-CELLULITE insoles.
http://www.amazon.com/SmartSole-55100-Anti-Cellulite-Insoles-Small/dp/B000DZC01E/ref=sr_1_17?ie=UTF8&s=shoes&qid=1249499849&sr=1-17
That sounds like a true snake oil to me. LOL

Aclai4067
08-05-2009, 04:36 PM
I'm so glad you posted about this. I saw an ad in People mag yesterday and meant to post later but forgot. I saw other companies with similar shoes at the expo before the Country Music Marathon (my sister ran the half). It's a neat concept but too much money and they just look silly to me

SexyInNC
08-06-2009, 11:10 AM
Curves makes a shoe alot like this sold through Avon for ALOT less. I bet they would work but probably cause muscle pain until your body adjusted to them.

wanting2b140
08-06-2009, 11:13 AM
...yeah they look silly! but i have been wondering the same things about them. I'm not convinced so I will be keeping my $$ for the time being!

sarahyu
08-06-2009, 03:19 PM
I have to agree with everyone else, it's too pricey to try out. Especially sketchers, those used to be the cheaper shoes at the store. Did they go upscale when I wasn't looking?
A good pair of walking/running shoes will run you about that price and you know what your getting with them.
Sarah in MD

Phenomenal Woman
08-06-2009, 06:43 PM
I was visiting Somni in the states last month, when I stumbled upon the Sketchers Shape Ups. I was rather hesitant at first, wondering if they were just a weird gimmick/fad, but after seeing them, we went home and looked up a bunch of reviews on them, and found that all of the reviews seemed pretty glowing. So, before I left, I went ahead and bought a pair.

I have to say that so far, I'm enjoying them a lot. They are very cushy to wear, comfy and give LOTS of padding when you walk. You do have to walk in a certain way in order to get the work out side of them, but I can walk naturally in them as well without any sort of problem, if I'm not looking for the muscle workout.

In fact, I spent 2.5 hours walking around in them yesterday as a friend and I went shopping and walking, and though I did quite often forget to walk in a manner that would work the muscles, when I did remember, I got a very nice calf workout. I didn't feel it so much in the butt, which they say in the ads the shoes are also supposed to work, but, I definitely felt it in my calves.

They don't make you walk funny or anything, or even inefficiently, its just a different motion with your foot, you kinda roll from the heel to the toe when you walk, which actually feels quite nice once you are used to it.

So, I am enjoying them so far! :)

(And as a side note, they are perfect when you want to bounce a baby on your knee. hehehe. Makes it kinda fun and much easier on the muscles. lol )

One thing I will say though, if you are thinking about buying them, you need to know that they run small. I normally where an 8.5 shoe, and my Sketcher Shape Ups are 9.5 and a tiny bit snug.

I'd love to hear about other people's experiences with these shoes!!

kiramira
08-06-2009, 07:03 PM
I wonder how this will affect your knee and hip joints in the long run, if your gait/stride is being affected...

Kira

JulieJ08
08-06-2009, 07:15 PM
I wonder how this will affect your knee and hip joints in the long run, if your gait/stride is being affected...

Kira

Kinda like heels ;)

But I wonder how much time the average person would actually spend in them anyway.

Lovemylife
08-06-2009, 09:45 PM
These are similar to MBT. MBT were designed from how a tribe in Africa walks barefoot. The way they walk works your core and that is what these shoes are supposed to do, work your core. I work with women who own MBT shoes and swear by them. One girls mom has 6 pair and at almost $200 a pair, that says something about them.

kiramira
08-06-2009, 10:40 PM
I've never worn heels, except going out to dinner when DH and I were dating 17 years ago. Never wore them as a teen. Never wore them in the workplace because I worked in sneakers (job requirement) or boots (job requirement) from the age of 18 onwards, and as a result, have nice straight feet and toes with no orthopedic issues whatsoever. I don't even own a pair of heels today -- only wear flats with dressy clothes, and since there's no $$ to go anywheres special, they'll do!!!

I'm glad for that, cause I have friends who spent years jamming their feet into heels and today are paying the price, orthopedically...

Kira

kimintexassahm
08-07-2009, 09:47 AM
They had a shoe like this on the Rachel Ray show. It was a lot more expensive than the Skechers shoe. They had a regular person try it out for a couple of weeks and they said it worked. It really helped them tone up their legs. My chiropractor even wear them so it must not mess with your back or hips.

photobuff42
08-09-2009, 06:13 PM
I just got the MBTs. I am wearing them today after a week debating on whether to return them because of the cost. I got some silicone spray to protect them and put them on. I can feel the workout. I can also say my back feels better!

kellie105
08-14-2009, 12:37 AM
Im telling you- this is going to make it onto a VH1 show one day - " I love the 00'S"

lynna
08-14-2009, 02:55 PM
I went to Kmart and bought Therashoes. They are 34.99. I think the address is http://www.therashoes.com I bought them last week and wore them for my 7 mile walk and o my were my legs SORE the next day. Right now they are buy one get one half off. They are VERY comfortable the most comfortable shoe I have EVER worn BUT you WILL have muscle soreness if you don't allow yourself time to adjust. Therashoes also have a knockoff of the Fitflops at the Big K and they are currently 9.99 and they are also buy one get one half off. Make sure you try them on as they the sneakers tend to run small.

Corrected link http://www.therashoe.com

JulieJ08
08-14-2009, 09:12 PM
I shoulda known there'd be knockoffs!

BTW, the link is actually therashoe.com

juliastl27
08-15-2009, 06:21 PM
this sorta reminds me of the slim slippers thing, lol. i think its based on the fact that walking on your toes strengthens legs over a long period. my son had surgery last year for heel cord problems. while walking almost completely on his toes for 5 straight years did indeed make his legs SOLID muscle, i doubt wearing these shoes for a few hours a day would do much.

harrismm
08-15-2009, 06:34 PM
Im telling you- this is going to make it onto a VH1 show one day - " I love the 00'S"
....along with the snuggie blanket!

lynna
08-15-2009, 11:23 PM
My daughter is also a toe walker. Has very strong legs toned like a dancers and just turned 11 yesterday. I am very concerned as my sister in law has a friend that's child also had to have surgery because of this. I wonder if this type of shoe would prevent this problem as it has a rocker sole.
BTW,I got Fitflops last summer and wore them all the time. My legs went from 27 inches 24 just during the summer I wore them. Note that I walk ALOT and at a fast pace. I was suprised at the extreme soreness in my legs and stomach after wearing the Therashoes as I am used to walking alot. My upper legs now measure 22 inches but I feel that is due to all the racewalking I do. I do feel that the shoes give me an extra kick as do another shoe I wear sometimes called Metatreks.

juliastl27
08-16-2009, 12:10 AM
My daughter is also a toe walker. Has very strong legs toned like a dancers and just turned 11 yesterday. I am very concerned as my sister in law has a friend that's child also had to have surgery because of this. I wonder if this type of shoe would prevent this problem as it has a rocker sole.
BTW,I got Fitflops last summer and wore them all the time. My legs went from 27 inches 24 just during the summer I wore them. Note that I walk ALOT and at a fast pace. I was suprised at the extreme soreness in my legs and stomach after wearing the Therashoes as I am used to walking alot. My upper legs now measure 22 inches but I feel that is due to all the racewalking I do. I do feel that the shoes give me an extra kick as do another shoe I wear sometimes called Metatreks.

maybe in mild cases something like this could help, but with my son it was quite pronounced. we tried physical therapy and also having him walk in braces, his heel cords were simply too tight! he eventually had the surgery to correct the problem and ever since then he's off his toes. your friends child should be just fine, mine doesnt even have a scar.

MyGirlFriday
08-16-2009, 12:13 AM
I have a pair of the Fit Flops and I really like the way they make my legs feel. I just hate the way the "thong" part rubs my toes. That is a main reason I don't like flipflops.

I might have to check on those shoes from Kmart. Those remind me of the ones from Curves that are sold from Avon.

I really hate buying shoes that hurt my feet. Maybe this well be the ticket for me.

mgf~:flow1:

lynna
08-16-2009, 12:38 AM
Did your child's doctor explain why children toe walk? Is it simply a bad habit they fall into?

lynna
08-16-2009, 12:46 AM
Mygirlfriday,
They are alot like the Avon curve,and MBT shoes. Everyone has been telling me how much they like my new shoes. BTW,I bought a size 7 men which would mean they would be a 9 women's there is no way I wear a 9 womens. Try them on in the store and walk around in them. That is what I did. I liked them so much I wore them to the register they were THAT comfortable. I did not want to take them off. If you click on the link you can see the ones I bought. I got the suede ones. They look really sharp. I then went back and bought the navy blue striped shoe. These are leather shoes and nicely made I might add and way less then the cost of other shoes that are similar. If you walk as much as I do it might be worth it to snatch up to pair while they are on sale buy one get one half off. My sneaks last a long time because I always alternate pairs.BTW,you can also get these at Sears.

MyGirlFriday
08-16-2009, 11:26 PM
Thanks for the info Lynna!! I might hold off until they have the BOGO sale! Pick up a couple of pair. :carrot:

mgf~:flow1:

cartp
08-17-2009, 03:52 PM
I have had my Sketchers for about a month. Don't know if they actuaaly do anything but I love them and think they look cool. but I am 51 ,so what do I know about cool?

juliastl27
08-17-2009, 04:37 PM
Did your child's doctor explain why children toe walk? Is it simply a bad habit they fall into?

with him it was actually that the heel cord (which runs from the bottom of your foot all the way up the back of your leg) was simply too tight. it pulled, so he would go up on his toes to compensate. the surgery they do for that is to go in and cut a notch out to give it a little more elasticity. it was an outpatient procedure and then he wore casts for 6 weeks. for us, it was the last solution and it worked WONDERFULLY!

kristintcs
08-25-2009, 05:01 PM
I've heard of these, I never wear tennis shoes so I wouldn't buy them but I do own a similar product, Fit Flops sandals, that I LOVE. I originally bought them because they are crazy comfy, but the claims of cellulite reduction and more toned legs was actually true! I wear them almost all the time (unless I'm going somewhere formal) and within 2 weeks, I actually did see a reduction in cellulite on the back of my legs. Of course, I exercise and eat right also (these are not magic weight loss shoes!) but I didn't change anything else in my program at the time I started wearing these, so I can only assume that it's the shoes that made the difference.

UniquelyNormal
08-25-2009, 05:25 PM
I've had my TheraShoes for almost a week & I loooove them :)

lynna
08-27-2009, 12:08 PM
What color therashoe did you buy? Are you exercising in them?I just went and bought black.

UniquelyNormal
08-27-2009, 12:42 PM
Mine are white with pink trim.

I haven't done my workouts in them.... kinda nervous. Although I do mine barefoot now. I don't think I'd to aerobic type in them because of the injury potential however I do see them being beneficial for toning/weights.

lynna
08-27-2009, 05:16 PM
I would not do aerobics in them either. Esp step aerobics however racewalking in them is great.

KDM322
09-08-2009, 01:32 AM
Does anyone know anything about Plantar Fasciitis? And if so, would any of the shoes mentioned in the previous posts work to reduce foot/heel pain caused by PF???

Suzanne 3FC
09-08-2009, 02:26 AM
This article from CNN might be of help

http://www.cnn.com/2009/HEALTH/08/12/shoes.fitness/index.html?iref=newssearch

They basically say the shoes don't work. :shrug:

Suzanne 3FC
09-08-2009, 02:30 AM
Does anyone know anything about Plantar Fasciitis? And if so, would any of the shoes mentioned in the previous posts work to reduce foot/heel pain caused by PF???

I've had a lot of problems with this myself, and bought a pair of Crocs Cloud, which are from their "medical" line of crocs, designed by podiatrists. My feet have never felt better! I also bought the Crocs Relief which are recommended for PF but I prefer the Cloud.

KboP
09-08-2009, 02:58 AM
I used Shape Ups, not for weight loss but because they correct your posture and ensure that when I walk I am walking correctly.

I have major back issues and they are fantactic for this, I was recommended to get MBTs but Shape Ups are so much more affordable

FitGirlyGirl
09-10-2009, 10:21 AM
The trail that I use for my walks is a "gravel" trail. It is made of crushed asphalt pieces and they are very sharp. Can someone who has the therashoes or the skechers tell me if they think the soles would be able to handle this please? I've already destroyed a couple pairs of shoes on this trail, so right now I am using cheap ($20) walking shoes from wal-mart because I don't want to tear up anything that cost much.

lynna
09-10-2009, 05:36 PM
The soles on the Therashoes hold up VERY well. I bought 2 pair and alternate them as is a good thing to do with all workout shoes. They are also only 34.99 and when Kmart has the special sale buy 1 get one half off is an excellent time to get them. My legs have really toned up since wearing them. I have lose an extra inch in a month and a half of wearing them but note I also walk ALOT.

UniquelyNormal
09-11-2009, 10:34 AM
I think the therashoes would hold up great. They soles are very thick.

This past month I've lost two inches around my thighs, 1/2 inch around my knees and another 1/2 inch on my calves. I think it's the shoes. I've lost a little bit everywhere else too, but TWO inches on my thighs is far & above my expectations.

lynna
09-11-2009, 03:19 PM
Liz,

I also believe its the shoes as last year wearing fitflops and NOT changing my diet I lost THREE inches on my upper legs and this year wearing Therashoes I lost an inch over the past month and a half. I have also dropped an entire pants size. Despite what some news sources may say I KNOW they work for ME.

MidwestReader
10-26-2009, 12:03 AM
I bought a pair last week while in Las Vegas on vacation. My heel has been KILLIng me since late July and I didn't know how I was going to get around much longer. My tennies were NO help. A friend had had these on earlier in the trip and loved them; made her back problems a lot better.

I went and tried them on and instantly the pressure on my heel was relieved. I had to go to THREE stores to get the style/size I needed and finally just settled on the black/white ones as I knew I wouldn't last much longer on my feet.

They are WONDERFUL to walk on. I can't testify to shaping me up since it's only been a week, but wow, I can move and without constantly feeling like I just want to sob....

I don't know that i want the whole collection, but in a few weeks if I'ms till as happy, I'm off to buy a white mesh pair with some cool stripes!!

LoveChocolate
10-31-2009, 07:36 PM
I might give these a shot - thanks for all of the reviews! My podiatrist actually suggested I wear heels to help relieve plantar fascitis...but because of the shape of my feet, 'normal' heels typically fly right off of my feet when I walk. Thanks, again!!

Shopaholic1204
12-29-2009, 02:42 PM
Does anyone have them? Do they work? I remember 20/20 did a story on FitFlops, but my mind is a little fuzzy on what the outcome was on those. So I'm a little curious about Shape Ups..

Hello Nurse
12-29-2009, 05:02 PM
I have been curious about this too. I tried some on in the store but did not have the $100 to shell out at the time. They were suprizingly comfortable, and do give the sense of having to work harder to push off (like walking barefoot in sand, kinda). I'd love to hear from someone who has them if they are worth the money.

Shopaholic1204
12-29-2009, 07:18 PM
For 100 bucks, they better be worth it, lol.

dietcokehead98
12-30-2009, 05:25 PM
I got some the day after Christmas!
First, they are U.G.L.Y. I got the Mary Jane style so I could wear them to work.
When I tried them on at the store, I couldn't believe how wonderful my feet felt. It's like walking on pillows or something. I wore them out of the store (yes, I paid for them :)
I wore them all day, cleaning the house and running to the mall. When I got home that night and took them off, I noticed two things: my hamstrings and calves were kind of sore-but a "good" sore. Like I had walked stairs for a bit. Second, my feet felt wonderful, and I realized I stand up straight when I'm wearing them.
They really aren't that hard to get used to. It's a funky sensation when you first put them on and you rock back and forth on accident. I also found it weird to drive in them at first, but I've been wearing them for a few days now and I vote yes! Buy them!
I got them at Kohls, on sale for $90. Plus I had a return and some Kohls cash. I would have paid full price for them.http://im1.shutterfly.com/media/47b9cc11b3127ccef8a860b25ea400000030O08CZtnDJqyag9 vPhA/cC/f%3D0/ps%3D50/r%3D0/rx%3D550/ry%3D400/

Shopaholic1204
12-30-2009, 06:42 PM
Nice!!! I will have to try them on now. Thank you!!

Violet73
12-30-2009, 07:14 PM
The commercial says they are good for your back and posture.....I was thinking about them just for that! I dont need anything to enhance my exericse cause walking alone is enough for this gal right now ! hehe! But, if they also helped your back and posture while walking then they might be worth it. Wonder if you can find some good deals on them on ebay? might check that out :)

WardHog
12-30-2009, 07:26 PM
I was looking at that exact pair at Kohl's. I really want some, but my husband would probably have a heart attack if I spent $90 on shoes!

mezmerize
01-04-2010, 01:48 PM
this sorta reminds me of the slim slippers thing, lol. i think its based on the fact that walking on your toes strengthens legs over a long period. my son had surgery last year for heel cord problems. while walking almost completely on his toes for 5 straight years did indeed make his legs SOLID muscle, i doubt wearing these shoes for a few hours a day would do much.

My grandson walks on his toes. His father also does. Could you please give me more info on the heel cord problems. I would like to show this to my daughter.

On a side note I bought Shape Ups and love them! While walking in them takes a couple minutes to get use to. I was able to wear them shopping the day after Christmas with no problems even on the ice! I felt it more in my upper thigh area. I plan on wearing this do my WATP dvds.

dietcokehead98
01-04-2010, 02:19 PM
They work for me. They're as ugly as all get out, but they work for me. I posted a pic in another thread.

AnnaHope
01-07-2010, 04:39 PM
I just got mine & must add that they are very cushiony & comfortable, I do the Sansone walk away the pounds & oh my I can definitely tell my exertion level picked up during my workout over doing the workout w/regular shoes. After sitting down I can feel the tightness in my legs & actually felt my butt getting more of a work out as well plus my feet are not hurting like they used to as i'm very heavy.

Just wanted to add I got mine at glensoutdoors.com for 74.99 & i'm more than happy to share my coupon code for 10% off good till 12/25/10, don't know if it's good for more than 1 use or unlimited. Code: mycard10

DianaG
01-08-2010, 09:03 PM
I bought a pair in November and I love them. They are so comfortable. I am on my feet a lot during the day and my sister is an R.N. I bought them when I asked her what all the nurses were wearing these days. Nurses always know the most comfortable shoes.

I wear them everyday and have not noticed my gait being different. I am not sure if they make a difference shape wise, but they do keep me from sore feet at the end of the day. They are like walking on cushion all day.;)

catmalvo
01-09-2010, 01:02 PM
I got the Therashoe boots from Kmart for 29.99.
I love them! First day I felt it in my calves, second day calves and hips, and by the third day I could feel them working my stomach muscles! I only walk about a mile, mile and a half throughout the day. Can't wait to try them on a continuous walking spree!

jhinako
01-10-2010, 05:58 PM
I have the FitFlops. I've had them over a year, I bought them because I am a BIG flipflop wearer, and wear them pretty much year round unless there is ice or snow outside. They're very comfortable, but I didn't wear them very often because, well, they are sort of ugly(I got the black ones, looking back I probably would have been more happy with a different color). A few months ago, my normal flipflops started wearing out so I was forced to wear the FitFlops more. I've noticed that when walking slowly, I can't feel a difference. But after walking very fast, like while crossing a large store, I could actually feel the burn in my leg a bit--there was no pain or discomfort, but my leg felt like it had gotten a workout for sure.

I've always wished they had a decent covered shoe I could wear to work(I need white, sneaker type shoes), but at the time, last year, they didn't. So when I saw all these articles for the Skechers and all the good reviews, I was about ready to buy a pair when I found *this* article mentioning the Therashoes. I went to Kmart and tried them on.

I had a gift card to Kmart that I'd forgotten to bring with me, so I returned home and ordered them online, plus a pair of the flipflop version(because they look identical to my FitFlops, but they're in white and they were $9.99! I'll let you know how they work out when I get them. :) I ordered the white clog-version. They're less ugly than the sneaker-version. But who knows, if I like them, I may get the sneaker type too.

MoonRising
01-11-2010, 04:34 AM
I bought the Therashoes from Kmart in November 2009 for $29.99 they were having the buy one get one half off sale but my husband wouldn't allow me to get another pair. I have to say that since I have been using these shoes they have really toned up my legs and my bum is more perky.My hubby even commented on my new found "toneness" which is amazing. I do wish that I had bought a different color. I got the all black ones and they look too much like orthotic (sp?) shoes. I would recommend these to anyone.

mmacaskill
01-19-2010, 12:21 PM
I bought the Therashoe and wore them around Costco and I didn't notice a difference at all. I've since wore them twice more. Not for long walks but still didn't feel anything. I attempted to wear them while doing the WATP DVD this morning and my thighs were killing me in the first 3 minutes. So much so that I had to take them off.

geewhizkid
01-20-2010, 07:35 PM
i got the sketchers for my birthday this year (from my boyfriend-- he really knows me, haha. i saw them on tv and went... oooooh coooollllll) and have worn them twice. they do most definitely activate some unused muscles in my legs and caused a lot of soreness the day after wearing them, but not in a terribly bad way--more like in a "oomf, didnt know i had a muscle there" way. i will be wearing them again this weekend for a day out with my mother. they are super comfy, you get this squishy moon-shoe feeling which i like. :)

overall so far i say they work, to what end they will help in my overall fitness i dont know but i do like them! i would probably go for the reebok-avon-kmart cheaper version if i was purchasing them myself though because they are pretty expensive.

hope this helps if anyone is considering trying shoes like this out!

chikygrl13
01-20-2010, 08:11 PM
I bought a pair about a week ago, and so far I LOVE them!
The boot version is actually really cute and provides more ankle support (which I have a problem with). Besides, the Sketchers outlet had the boots on sale for $75, which is what you would pay for a normal pair of shoes. They were a bit pricey, but they were my christmas present to myself :D

I can REALLY feel it when I go on my daily walk, so I think they are working. My knee (which I am in PT for, due to a work-related falling down stairs injury) doesn't seem to hurt more than usual. And yesterday I stood in line a the local courthouse for THREE AND A HALF HOURS (I was pissed!) in them with no trouble at all (aside from the fact that it took me all bloody day to take care of a fix-it ticket!)

lynna
01-25-2010, 07:52 PM
Wanted to let everyone know Danskin now has their own version. It sells at Walmart for 24.99. It is very lightweight and comfortable. My Therashoes weight more. The first pair of Danskins I had busted some threads on the side figured it must be a fluke so returned them for another pair which are holding up much better. I do feel the Therashoes are made better and hold up VERY well.They have black and white in Danskin shoes and are made of recycled materials.

jenne1017
01-26-2010, 10:04 AM
It was recommended by my foot doctor (after treatment for plantar's fascitis, tarsal tunnel and achilles tendonitis) that I wear ZCoils (http://zcoil.com) but they are $2-300 a pair. I saw a woman at Disney wearing them (when I had to buy the scooter ar $35/day to rent) and she said she was literally crippled, got these, and can walk again.

I wonder if these might help me do the same thing, for less. And I think the sketchers ones are less ugly!

lynna
01-27-2010, 01:48 AM
Z-coils add more of a bounce to your step. The Sketchers,Therashoes,curves,and now Danskins just make your feet roll forward in a smooth motion and they are VERY comfortable. I think the Therashoes that sell at Kmart were developed by foot doctors. I know I LOVE mine and also the danskins. I have read reviews where people that have had problems with their feet have stated that these types of shoes withe the curved bottoms have been VERY helpful to them.

thinnerbyjuly
01-27-2010, 10:20 AM
THANK YOU THANK YOU to those of you that recommended the THERASHOES!!!
Between your recommendations and a clients I decided to try the cheaper route first.

I love them. I stand a lot and have degenerating disks. They are wonderful. I feel them a tiny bit in my calves and butt but after wearing them 2 days my abs really smart! Since I've done no exercise besides walking it has to be the shoes. The lady at KMART told me if I want more to go to their website. They are less there.

nellonello
01-27-2010, 01:14 PM
It was recommended by my foot doctor (after treatment for plantar's fascitis, tarsal tunnel and achilles tendonitis) that I wear ZCoils (http://zcoil.com) but they are $2-300 a pair. I saw a woman at Disney wearing them (when I had to buy the scooter ar $35/day to rent) and she said she was literally crippled, got these, and can walk again.

I wonder if these might help me do the same thing, for less. And I think the sketchers ones are less ugly!

My podiatrist actually recommended these (Sketchers) after my treatment for planter's fascitis and achilles tendonitis. He said at a minimum he would recommend I wear these around the house. I have had them since December and really like them.

WoodLily
01-31-2010, 11:06 PM
I have had the Sketchers for several months but only wear them for long shopping trips. They do run at least a 1/2 size small so try them on in a store before ordering them online. I have had problems with foot and heel pain and good expensive walking shoes didn't help. These were so comfortable that I didn't want to take them off in the store. They say you need to walk a while to get used to the feel of them. It took me about a minute.
I haven't worn them frequently enough to tone but did notice some muscle soreness in the back of my thighs after wearing them all afternoon at the Mall. I bought a white pair with silver accents as my plan was to wear them in the summer, but now I want to get a darker color to wear while walking during lunch breaks at work.

Shan86
02-05-2010, 05:03 AM
Hey There. I got these shoes and let me tell you i walk around 8 hrs a day at work constantly and these shoes not only have helps my legs and butt get alot more tone and trust me that is true. But my lower back isn't in pain at all when i get off work like it use to be.
I think the shoes are ugly but the comfort and what they have done for my legs and butt are awesome. I definitly would recommend these!!!!

lynna
02-05-2010, 03:19 PM
Ok just wanted to give everyone a heads up Dr Scholls now also has their own version of these.

Bellamack
02-05-2010, 03:58 PM
I have been wearing the Ryka ones I ordered off of QVC and I really like them. Ryka are shoes designed just for women with our lower center of gravity. They were less than half the price of the Sketchers.:D

minorharmony
02-06-2010, 08:06 PM
Just wanted to add my voice to the growing chorus of compliments on the Therashoes. I have incredibly flat feet and always end up with shin splints no matter how much I stretch, but I bought a pair of these yesterday and went walking for 2 miles--no shin splints. I went again today for 3 miles, and not only does nothing hurt, but I really can feel my thighs and abs being worked. I'm sure that they do work calves, but mine are massive and it takes quite a bit to get them burning.

Best thirty-five bucks I've spent in a long, long time.

amy1
02-07-2010, 02:38 PM
Hi I just joined this group after seeing this post. I have a pair of shape ups.
I had not heard anything about them and didn't buy them because of the claims they make. I bought them because I have plantar faciitis. I have spent literally thousands of dollars on different ways to treat it and nothing has worked. Now I just have to try and find whatever helps to ease the pain and make my day more comfortable. I have a cafe with my hubby and due to the pain have only been working 2-3 days a week. I bought my shape ups thinking they were extremely comfortable. Sounds corny I know..but they have changed my life! I have had them since Nov and I can work and even take my dogs for a walk! I don't know if they help to shape up or loose weight, but if you have any foot problems they are worth every penny.
Just my experience, hope this helps.

guynna
03-13-2010, 07:32 PM
because my chiropractor recommended them, and I like them a lot. I too noticed the "good sore" factor for several days. I am getting back to walking more after breaking a toe some months back, so my out-of-shapeness may have made them a little harder to adjust to, but they're great now.

mandalinn82
03-13-2010, 07:39 PM
They have really good cushioning. My wife is on her feet all day for work and was having major foot pain, and these make the foot pain better...BUT...if you have any kind of hip or ankle instability, they can make THAT worse because of the constant adjusting.

I didn't notice any fitness benefits with my pair, but I wear them when I walk the dog, and they do help me stand up straight.

joannie
03-13-2010, 10:13 PM
I own a pair, as well as 2 pairs of MBTs (twice the price for the MBTs but I like the quality better). But the Sketchers Shape-ups... I got them nearly 1 yr after wearing MBTs. They were surprisingly comfortable (I had high expectations after wearing MBTs). I wasn't sore or anything when I first started wearing them. It took merely minutes to get used to the rocking sensation and balance, but that's all. I run in mine, they are GREAT for walking (I am on my feet for extremely long periods and do a lot of walking). I was paying nearly $200 for New Balance shoes before wearing MBTs & Sketchers Shape-ups, and both of these shoes are far more comfortable to me. I do not wear any other type of shoe anymore as absolutely LOVE the cushy feeling of these shoes as well as the walking motion. I feel like walking on clouds. Will never ever go back to wearing anything but these kinds of shoes... As for the cellulite claims and strengthening the core claims, etc, I wouldn't go that far, but for function and comfort along with quality for price I give them a rating of 8/10 (MBTs 10/10).

EDIT: I forgot to mention that since wearing MBTs and shape-ups, my plantar fasciitis is now completely resolved.

Shopaholic1204
03-13-2010, 11:51 PM
I guess I should've updated this, lol. I tried them on and walked around the store. I tripped 5 times!!! It was really weird, so I didnt buy them.

thinmintintraining
03-14-2010, 11:40 PM
I have been looking into gettin a pair of these too but just an FYI...You can buy pretty much the same through Avon for half the price. They are made for Curves. Every once in a while, you can catch them on sale for 39.99 but they are normally 49.99. They aren't the cutest shoes in the world but if it helps with foot pain, posture, and helps tone who cares what they look like :)

**They are on sale right now for 39.99

nean7
03-15-2010, 12:40 AM
I own both the curves and the shape ups. When I first bought the curves (shoes and sandals) I thought they were wonderful, but compared to shape ups, for me, shape ups wins hands down in the super comfy category. I now own three shape ups (two shoes and one paid of sandals) and they are worth every penny to me. They are very expensive for my budget but again worth every penny. I started having a bit of a knee problem and that was gone immediately after I started wearing the shape ups. It's weird to say that they are so comfy and work you out at the same time, but they do! I definitely feel a difference when I workout in them (walking). I know my posture is better...I weight 200 pounds at 5'1 so the noticeable toning isn't very noticeable to me. I still will continue to buy more when I can afford them and use them almost everyday. Hope this helps. :)

thinmintintraining
03-15-2010, 12:55 AM
I wouldn't mind having a pair of the shape ups but sadly it's not in my budget but if the Curves ones work, I may have to go ahead and get a pair of those! Anything that might help this weight loss along, I'll give it a whirl! :) Thanks nean for the info!

AllisonR
03-15-2010, 02:05 AM
I just bought my first pair of Shape-Ups. My mom kept wanting to buy them, and since we wear the same size, we thought we would share. I haven't worn them out that much, because it's been raining. So I wear them around the house. I feel the walking on my calves, but haven't seen much of a difference. If I do, I think I would attribute it to my working out as opposed to these shoes. However, they ARE very comfortable.

REGEE
03-25-2010, 08:02 PM
Hi,
I have shape ups & must say they are extremely confortable! I got for work shoe
s, in order to justify the $100 price (I usu. spend around this for work shoes).
It was a lil diff. at first but once I got use to them I Love 'em!!
I was not sore or anything, but really noticed a diff. in my stance & posture.
I can tell when I'm not wearing them.
I think they were a good investment:carrot:

Sum38
03-25-2010, 09:10 PM
I shattered my ankle about a year ago. It is still stiff and sore, and makes walking painful.

I have been using shape-ups for the past month, and it is stretching my ankle gently, and pain is fading away.

I feel my hamstrings and calves getting a workout as well.

I recommend 'em :carrot:

And I am about 1" taller whilst using the shoes.:)

Daimere
03-25-2010, 10:50 PM
How long do they last? I walk about 10 miles at work every day (and that excludes non work walking). I've been going through normal shoes every two months. I don't want to have to buy a pair of shape ups every two months.

Molly04
03-29-2010, 02:34 PM
I see this an old blog but I just wanted to add that KMart has shape ups (not Skethcer brand) and they are $34.99. I am on my 2nd pair and love them and I can feel the difference!

jenjen1717
04-06-2010, 10:51 PM
I actually work at Dunham's Sports and these shoes are $99.99 I haven't tried them yet but i will once i get the money. From every customer that has bought them said they work amazingly and that they love them!!. I think if your looking for something to help tone your legs and butt you should try them.

Also if you have a Dunhams near you show them your Kroger card, AAA, or Blue Cross Blue Sheild, and you can get 10% off and any item that is NOT on sale or clearance (excluding ammo and guns).

Or

Go to your nearest Dunhams and tell them you would like to sign up for the Email program, all you do is give them your Email address and you get a 20% off coupon just for signing up!!

I hope my information helped at least someone out.

KellyBean88
04-08-2010, 04:51 AM
Hi there! I was wondering if anyone had tried these shoes out. I am seeing them everywhere but I am curious, are they really worth the money?

Thanks!

http://www.3fatchicks.net/img/bar062/slider-but1/lb/212/145/210/.png (http://www.3fatchicks.com/)

Joy2MeNu
04-08-2010, 10:05 AM
I have a pair. Couldn't wait to get them. First of all, I think they run small, so perhaps get a half size bigger than you think you need. Mine actually put my feet to sleep (NOT GOOD). That being said, if I would have had the right size, I think they would have been great. I found that wearing them for outside walking was great, but on an indoor padded track, I reach for my NB instead. You should most certainly go to the store, try them on, walk in them and see what you think, but they really do spring you to that next step, and I felt energized. Sure wish I would have gotten the right size though! I did find that if I took the liners out, my feet felt better and I could still wear them, but after I paid $100+, of course I would find a way to still wear them! I guess I would add, if it isn't already clear, that if you have these, it is nice to have a second pair of more standard shoes as well cause the shapeups do work particular muscles that sometimes need rested between walks. Don't know how much the shapeups had to do with my weight loss, but I did lose a ton of inches off my legs and butt! Liked that!

Bigmid
04-11-2010, 09:05 PM
I can hardly wait for my trip to the States to go to K-Mart and get a pair. I found a cheaper version here (in Canada) at the payless store bought them and instantly loved the feel of them. It took no time at all to get used to them. They felt a little snug so I just wore them a couple times around the house first the only thing I found (so I took them back) was it started to hurt the side of my foot. These ones are very curved so that you actually feel like part of your foot in not supported by anything. Does anyone know are the therashoes like that at all or is your whole foot supported.

ElizRuth
04-18-2010, 01:26 PM
I got the same Sketcher Mary Jane shoes and wore them for a couple of weeks.

I'm afraid I didn't like them. I normally wear Dansko clogs or other comfort shoes and these were not that comfortable for me.

Part of the problem may be that I'm very much an "apple" shape. I'm very long legged for my height and I felt really unsteady on the shoes and during the day I must go on a lot of elevators, moving walk ways, and do a lot of quick moves and pivoting at work.

But others who do more standing and walking love them - it seems more pear shaped than apple shape benefit from them from what I've gleaned from people I've spoken to who are wearing them...

But that's just me. I hear more positives than negatives.

vertigoskyy
04-30-2010, 12:28 AM
I LOVE my shape ups. Worth the price, 100%. They are hands down THE most comfortable shoe I have ever worn. Funny looking, yes? But who cares for the sole purpose of comfort!

tigger77
05-01-2010, 09:30 PM
I love the shape-ups, I actually wear the cheaper "Thera-Shoes" from Kmart, but have the Skechers sandals - which are just made much better than the Kmart Thera-Shoes sandals. I love them all - they are just much easier on the feet and you can feel them. Not for those with poor balance - give yourself some time to get used to them - I won't wear regular tennis shoes any more - wear them to walk in every day and am taking them to Disney World - they "propel" you forward with the rolling motion and keep you going!

tigger77
05-01-2010, 09:34 PM
I would also say that they all run about a 1/2 size small, so try them on before you buy!

2phatinvictoria
05-01-2010, 10:16 PM
I actually have these shoes they were a great starting point and made my calfs. Burn ...but do not rely on these for your main source of excerise.. I would walk in mine every day until I was ready to go to the gym .... So now they sit there collecting dust ...

MissKelly
05-05-2010, 02:18 AM
I ordered a pair off of the web in pink about 4'ish months ago. Glad I read the reviews that mentioned to order them 1/2 to a full size bigger, it was the truth. I have worn them twice recently on a couple neighborhood walks. At first, they felt weird-funky wobbly because of the poofy-curve on the bottom and I felt like I was walking with a buzz as I got used to them. Overall, comfy and I like them.

goin4health
05-05-2010, 03:19 AM
I have not worn them personally but several of my co workers have them and love them, we are Rns and are on our feet 10 hours a day.

slimmingsi
05-05-2010, 07:56 AM
my other half is talking about these and im dubious. the idea of a shoe is to support and cushion your foot. if as it descrived earlier these make you walk inefficiently then isn't there the possibility of long term damage to the muscular skeletal make up of the lower body?

Has anyone used them for more than 3 months and if so have you noticed any problems with them? calf pain? shin splints? tightness or hamstrings/lack of flexability etc i'd love to hear about it.

mykki35
05-05-2010, 09:50 AM
I love my shape ups. I have 2 pairs. No pains but they do correct your posture when you walk.

artic123
05-05-2010, 11:17 AM
Walmart has sneakers similar to this for $20. Very curvy.

Sharon

Brigitte33
05-07-2010, 06:47 AM
I went to costco yesterday and they were selling the avia-motion at $49.,they had them in two colors. I am from Canada, so I am not sure if they sell the same items in the US, but at that price you might feel less hesitant in trying these shoes.

NCarMM
05-13-2010, 10:47 PM
I was skeptical at first about getting my Shape up sneakers...but they are awesome!!! The first couple walks i could really feel it in my shins and it hurt....but man they make you work and its a total body work out!! There are also different exercises you can do while your walking to work different areas of your bod....I have only had them a week, but can see a noticeable difference!! LOVE LOVE LOVE THEM!!!!

tiffieturtle
05-14-2010, 08:35 PM
I own a pair of these things and love them... but they do come with some bad things too.

Pros:
*They are super comfortable. Even if I didn't get any sort of "weight loss" with them, they are great if you are on your feet all day.
*They really do work your legs. Now, I'm not saying that they give the exact same workout as going to the gym, but you do feel a nice little tingly sensation, especially for the first month that you own them.
*They give you an extra 2-3 inches in height, a great thing if you're short like me! :)

Cons
*I work in a junior high school, and I have more than once been told by my "fashion savvy" girls that they look like old people shoes. Now I guess the reason the girls say this is because the sole is so thick and they would resemble special orthopedic shoes.
*They give you charlie horses in the first few days of getting them! I went through one or two bouts of that because I worked my calf so differently than I was used to.
*If you aren't careful, you can very easily lose your balance, especially when getting up from sitting (and yes, my kids enjoyed watching this too! :)).

Would I buy them again? In a heartbeat.

I am a firm believer that your shouldn't buy this product to "lose weight" because I really don't think you will with these. They are, however, the most comfortable pair of sneakers I have ever owned. I may check out the dress shoes that they have eventually too if they ever come down in price!

Hope this helps! ;)

lynna
05-21-2010, 04:42 PM
Wanted to update everyone on these shoes. It seems they are SOOO popular that everyone is making them now. We have the Curves from Avon then the Danskins at Walmart,Dr Scholls and many others are now on the market. I still LOVE my Therashoes they are going strong and I am a major walker 8 to 10 miles per day recently had to cut back to 5 but boy are my shoes holding up.These are still the most comfortable shoes I have EVER worn. I think it has to do with the design as the Danskins and Therashoes are equal in comfort to me. One note of caution these are NOT jogging shoes. I have seen people running in these. It's too easy to twist your ankle that way. Also for all you shorties out there like me these make us 3 inches taller and that means the pants that we are forever tripping over will now fit better VBG.:carrot:

Amarantha2
05-21-2010, 08:30 PM
As a person just getting out of 60 days in a cast from a fall that shattered my arm and required two surgeries, it is my opinion that manufacturers who deliberately create and market unstable footwear are asking for major lawsuits ... totally my opinion but it is crazy. :)

lynna
05-21-2010, 10:21 PM
You know I have wondered the about the same thing. As a matter of fact genius me was standing on top of something and almost fell over backwards yikes.

JulieJ08
05-22-2010, 02:06 PM
Yeah, and what about those crazy things with two wheels and pedals?! And sometimes they even put motors on them! Talk about unstable ;)

me4life
05-22-2010, 02:21 PM
just wanted to comment on the sketchers shoes. i don't know about fitness but i work in a factory sewing standing up and the others i work with swear by them. there feet kill them with any other shoes but they say if you just try them on you will buy them.

bailunrui
05-31-2010, 08:57 PM
FYI, Therashoes are on sale at Kmart for $20 until June 5, 2010. Also, a Buy One, Get One 1/2 Off is in effect. That's two pairs for $30!

Skinnybride
05-31-2010, 09:08 PM
I love my shapes ups got them at kohls with a 30% coupon and earned kohls cash on them counting the kohls cash was like half price for them

BlessedBe
06-07-2010, 12:21 PM
I wear special inserts in my tennis shoes, cause I have high arches. Would I still need to wear them in the Therashoes, or could I go without them?

CanadianCutie
06-12-2010, 02:06 PM
I just bought a pair of Skechers Shape Ups today. Had a 10% off coupon from Sportchek (a Canadian chain of athletic stores). Haven't worn them out yet, but I'd had them on around the house and they are so comfy. My feet must have shrunk (or aren't as swollen as they were) cause I'm in 8.5 regular, and I used to wear anywhere from an 8.5 to a 9 wide. I would not have paid full price for them, and when I'm back in the US in September I may pick up a pair or two of the K-Mart brand. I almost got a pair of them last time I was there, but put them back at the last minute.

tymaboy
06-12-2010, 05:36 PM
Payless has some. I bought a pair there for $40. They do feel different when walking. I dont know if they actually will do anything in the long run.

Serbrider
06-13-2010, 03:28 PM
I won't spend $100 on shoes like that... but I did buy some "knock-off's" by RocketDog for $35 yesterday.

They are immidiately my favorite shoes... EVER. I love them. Yeah... they do take some getting used to... but since I often go walking around different places (especially when I'm in Europe), and sometimes don't have time to go for a run in the evening... so... these are great for me.

And... they are so comfy too. :D I dunno... I just LOVE them. :)

BlessedBe
06-16-2010, 05:42 PM
Anyone have the Therashoes from KMart? I've been walking in them for three or four days straight now, not very far, and my calves HURT. They start hurting when I've only walked about 1/16 of a mile! Am I just THAT out of shape, or is it the shoes working my muscles harder?

NewLifeofPam
06-17-2010, 04:22 PM
I bought the Sketchers "tone-ups" about 10 days ago and I found the first few times I wore them I could feel it in my legs too. I justified the pain by saying they force me to walk different - not because I'm out of shape :)

I love them!!

Pam

Elladorine
06-17-2010, 06:50 PM
My boyfriend's mom is an Avon rep so I'm going to ask about the "Curves for Women Toning Trainers." By many accounts they're extra comfy, and even if they don't really tone it may just be the boost I need to take more walks. :)

sidrah
06-19-2010, 05:42 AM
And they look like they make you taller!!

robynlmac
06-22-2010, 09:48 PM
I have a pair. I bought them not for shape up because they are pricey. I would never pay that much for a pair of shoes to see if it works in lieu of exercise, but I had a pulled tendon in my right heal. It had been hurting painfully for weeks. I couldn't walk on it very far and any exercise was out of the question. I was in the sporting goods store to price stationary bikes for exercise since it hurt to much to do a 20 min walk. I tried a pair on out of curiosity. And by the way they are designed I had no pressure on my heal. I could walk in this shoe with NO pain. I bought them. I told my hubby I can walk again and my foot has not bothered me since unless I go back to wearing my old shoes then after a few days the pain slowly comes back, but my foot is not completely healed as of yet. As for have they shaped me up, not at all. I have not felt any difference in my muscles. But I would buy them again just for the relief they have put on my feet.

ScarletBloodDoll
06-27-2010, 06:40 PM
I bought a pair a few months back. I tried them on at the store and everything seemed fine. Got home and went for a short walk up and down the street and nearly double over.
It maybe because I am flat footed but the amount of pain that it was causing my arch was insane. It felt like the arch of the shoe was stabbing into my foot.
As far as shaping up, I couldn't be sure.

Elladorine
07-04-2010, 08:18 PM
I got my "Curves for Women Toning Trainers" last night and tested them out in the mall today. I don't know yet about working any muscles but they sure are easy on my feet! I think I'll have an easier time getting my walking in now. :)

cheniya11
07-08-2010, 02:05 PM
I always wanted to try the shape up shoes but did not want to pay $100. So when I heard that Target had a shoe called Trimstep for $27.00 I ordered them online because they didnt have my size in the store (I needed a size larger for some reason) but when they came I walked around on carpet first just in case I did not like them and I got use to them very quickly. Needless to say I love them. I dont know what the $100 shoe feels like the $27.00 shoe feels good to me and I am over 200lbs they give me more pep in my step and the knees and back feel good. My walking buddies has a pair of another brand I never heard of a gift to her so the price is unknown but she loves hers as well.

islandchick1
09-04-2010, 10:56 PM
I have a pair of the sketchers shape ups - the Mary Jane style in black. NO they haven't made me lose weight ( I am doing THAT myself) NO they haven't toned my rear(another thing I"M doing). I got mine at DSW show warehouse for mother's day 2010. They are rather uncomfortable for everyday wear. I use my NB's for walking on the trail. I hardly wear them at all now as a matter of fact. The one PLUS that I can say about them is this - is you have plantar faciitis they are a welcomed relief . There is no pressure whatsover on your heels.

Jennifer 3FC
09-06-2010, 10:31 AM
Somebody may have mentioned this already, but Earth shoes has an athletic shoe style, and they also stretch and pull on the calf. I really felt it the first few times I wore them. And they are not unstable at all. The shoes are a little on the wide side, and they are low profile. Your heel just goes down, like you are walking in sand, and you feel very 'grounded'. I've gotten so used to wearing Earth shoes and sandals, that it feels unstable to wear regular shoes. :crazy: So for anybody feeling like they are wobbly on the Skechers, try Earth shoes. Not the 'earth brand' at Wal-Mart, but Earth brand. You can find them at Zappos and Gaiam, and locally at stores that carry specialized footwear like Birkenstocks, Merrell, Dansko, etc. They allowed me to completely heal from plantar faciitis, as well.

Hap
09-07-2010, 03:49 PM
Wanted to post a link to an NPR report about toning shoes but can't because I don't have enough posts. But, just go to npr.org then search for toning shoes and you'll find it.

Here is a summary: The American Council on Exercise says there is "simply no evidence to support the claims that these shoes will help wearers exercise more intensely, burn more calories or improve muscle strength and tone." Skechers released three studies, which it says supports its claims that toning shoes work

And - Galati of ACE does concede that while toning shoes aren't magic, they might motivate people to walk and exercise more — and that can only be a good thing.

gardeneyes
09-14-2010, 12:46 AM
I bought the sketchers a few weeks ago and do feel the difference when I wear them. After wearing them for a few hours, my calves feel tighter. So,that is a plus. I also bought them for my morton's neuroma and it relieves the pressure on that part of my foot. I love to walk and before I bought the Shape Ups, I could only go for about one half hour before the pain was too much. Now I am able to walk for a few hours at a time. So, they are a good investment for me.

Rosinante
09-14-2010, 05:36 AM
That's interesting about the benefit to the neuroma. I had a feeling they'd help but I only have ordinary shoe shops round about, no specialist ones, I always have the feeling that whatever condition I said I had, they'd tell me that the expensive shoes would help.

I'm getting a steroid injection in mine Thursday - 9 months' pain is long enough - and then I'll look at the Skechers again.

bacilli
09-14-2010, 07:06 AM
DH has a pair that he wears to work, and he loves them. He's on his feet all day long managing a restaurant, and no longer has foot, leg, back, butt, or hip pain. They've helped him much more than his custom fit inserts ever did.

StephanieM
09-14-2010, 01:12 PM
From what I've seen, these shoes are good for comfort but I don't know if they actually tighten up your legs. Is it the same kind of theory as wearing high heels to tighten up your bum?

I doubt wearing them would make me look like the model in the commercial, but the power of advertising is horrible. I actually get the urge to buy them because I want to have a hot butt like that! But I know I won't ever look like that model, and she didn't get a butt like that from wearing them. She is most likely a fitness model and is paid to look that way.

I wish advertising would only show real before and after and not a 'this could be you' kind of commercial.

GeeDee
09-22-2010, 01:32 AM
I bought the sketchers shape ups and they are okay comfy... I wouldn't say over the top..... but I also haven't worn them a whole lot to get use to them either..... honestly they kind of make me feel like frankenstein when I wear them and I already don't have "grace" in my walk so I often stumble in them.... I worry about twisting my ankle in them because its that bad. Anyway I've got um, they are paid for...... I've just gotta break down and use them! :)

Jelbellesmommy
09-22-2010, 01:36 AM
They do work but so do the ones from AVON made by Curves and they only cost $30

mandalinn82
09-22-2010, 01:48 AM
My wife and I both have a pair.

The verdict - no difference for either of us in terms of tone or weight loss if we wear them during our normal activities.

BUT - my wife has very painful feet (large calluses that push into her nerves) and works on her feet all day. The Shape-Ups have made a BIG difference in her foot pain, and the back pain she'd sometimes get sometimes. The extra cushion and altered foot position really, really helps her, and when her feet act up, she's straight into the Shape-Ups.

I have some knee issues, and when my knee acts up, these can sometimes help. The altered walking pattern can make a difference.

The interesting thing is that her foot pain was often enough to keep her from walking or being active after work (walking the dog, for instance) , so they did sort of inadvertently help her to get more activity and therefore more calorie burn. Bu

tlydeen
09-22-2010, 02:05 PM
Please be careful if you purchase these shoes....I have had them for about 8 mos and I now have an inflamed tendon in my knee because of the way these shoes caused me to walk. It is extremely painful and treatable but please consider this before you spend that much money. Please feel free to ask me any questions. Have a wonderful day! :hug:

slimlizzie2
12-08-2010, 08:32 AM
They do work but so do the ones from AVON made by Curves and they only cost $30

I just got the ones from Avon (Curves)...size 11 and they fit perfect and are VERY comfortable.
I have a very hard time finding my size that really fit in Ladies athletic shoes..as for the shape up we will see..:carrot:

Mirj
12-22-2010, 10:49 AM
My office just moved to a new location that is 3 kilometers away from home, so I do the half hour trot back and forth every day. After a week of this I plunked down the money for a pair of Shape-Ups and I really feel that it's money well spent. I feel the burn more along the backs of my legs and these things are sooooo comfortable! I wear them all day long and my feet aren't tired at all.

My hardest day is Friday when I'm home cooking practically all day. My feet used to hurt so much by the end of the day, but with the Shape-Ups I feel like I can keep going.

Since I live in Israel and these shoes are imported I actually paid close to $140 dollars for them, not $90 or $100 that you would in the States, and in my opinion, they are still worth it!

:running::running::running::running::running:

deetermined2
12-22-2010, 08:27 PM
I bought the Sketcher Tone-Ups sandals on sale at T J Maxx for under $30. I found them very comfortable, but don't notice any toning effects. They have a slightly less convex sole than the Shape-Ups, probably because they offer less stability being a sandal and are very open.

The less curved sole may be why I don't notice any toning.

Serval87
12-23-2010, 10:54 AM
I don't know if anyone has mentioned this, but walmart carries a knock-off brand for around $25. Sorry I can't remember the name. I've found that they are really good for any kind of jumping exercise. I wear them when I do exercise videos inside, and I never hurt my knees.

Tinky
12-28-2010, 07:47 AM
I bought a pair of Sketchers Shape-ups for work. They were the ones especially marked "for work", with slip-resistant soles. They are very comfortable and cushy - HOWEVER, I DO NOT RECOMMEND THEM IF YOU WORK AROUND A LOT OF WATER OR WET SURFACES. The squishy stuffing in the soles of mine got waterlogged and started falling apart within 6 weeks. Not cool, and the shoe store wouldn't let me return them. I tried contacting Sketchers customer service, and got nowhere with that.

If you want a similar shape-up shoe for work, check Shoes For Crews online. I hear good things about their shoes.

Besides that, they were very comfy, and when I had to do distance walking at work I could feel them working on my glutes and calves. I did lose about 35 lbs, but that was just as much due to having a very active job in a very hot, humid environment.

Also, I saw the Sketchers at Costco for about $60.
And I've been seeing them on sale at Meijer for around $79. Seems like they're coming down in price.

rengetsfit
01-02-2011, 01:51 AM
I bought mine in march. I was sore the next day and for awhile after. However I did make the mistake of buying them right before a vacation where I had to walk alot so my legs were killing me. I did notice that after I wore them a month or two that I had smaller love handles, tighter glutes ect. I wore them 5days a week to school where I did some walking and if I know I'm going to walk alot I'll wear them. They look new still, don't feel worn out at all so I'd say the quality is very good.

The Last Noel
01-02-2011, 02:18 AM
My mother has been wearing these since she was a child. The oldest ones she has are made of hardened tar polymers. Shape-Ups seem to be an adaptation of a medical shoe that was used to treat victims of polio. Their actual function is to strenghten muscles in the spine. It seems highly unlikely that they should be better than a well manufactured running shoe for fitness purposes. I have no idea why people are paying a hundred dollars for these...

rengetsfit
01-02-2011, 06:24 PM
I bought the new skechers running shoes and love them. They reduce the shock on my feet, knees and back when running and I can actually run further and more comfortably. They were well worth the $91 (I got them on a sale).
My previous pair of running shoes was uncomfortable and wore out fast. Waste of $70 for new balance.
It seems that on most websites of people bashing the shoes are those who haven't tried them out personally..

k15g15
01-02-2011, 10:12 PM
Has anyone seen them online anywhere for a better price? I'm not sure I can swing 90 dollars or more for these.

rengetsfit
01-03-2011, 03:23 PM
Has anyone seen them online anywhere for a better price? I'm not sure I can swing 90 dollars or more for these.

burlington coat factory, ross, and tj maxx sell them for $50

D0LL8813
01-05-2011, 06:23 PM
I Saw Them On Sale At Academy For Like $69 Do The Reebok Shoes Work The Same...I Like Those Better?

k15g15
01-06-2011, 08:31 PM
Thanks!

amandaleejewel
01-07-2011, 05:03 AM
Nice!!! I will have to try them on now. Thank you!!

They are delightful, help your posture, any back, neck, joint pain you might have, and they are AWESOME for your feet. I work retail and I am standing on concrete all day, I will not work without them or my feet kill at the end of the night. They keep getting cheaper, I found the for $80 (AND buy one get one half off) at a Skechers Outlet, plus they have a TON of different kinds now, some look like real athletic shoes, and the leather work line in perfect for me. Totally worth the money. Oh, and I do feel much more toned, and better posture:):carrot:

Rashomon
01-13-2011, 01:46 PM
I just bought a pair of the Skechers Kinetic Tone-Ups for $40 on 6pm.com. I think the sale is still going on. Since they just came in this morning, I haven't gotten the full experience yet, but I'm wearing them now at work since my job today requires a lot of walking. I like the color scheme and the soles aren't huge, though I am now an inch or so taller with them.

http://i51.tinypic.com/32zj78y.jpg

EliteTrainer
01-19-2011, 05:43 PM
Skechers Shape-Ups may be comfortable, but they are a fad when it comes to any real plans of significantly toning your body or helping you lose weight.

You may feel a slight soreness at first because it puts your body into a different position you are used to and you have to use a bit more of your hamstrings and calves to adjust. After the first week or so however, you body will be adjusted to it and you will no longer really be retaining any real muscular benefit from them.

Our bodies adapt to the stresses we put on them over time. That is why if you continuously lift 5lbs in a bicep curl, over time it no longer feels sore, and in order to achieve this you'd have to up the weight, otherwise you will be at a plateau and just maintain this. If you want maintenance then keep it at 5lbs, but if you want to make a difference, you have to put a new stress on your body.

Save your money on the shoes. Diet and exercise to lose weight. If you just want something comfortable, have at it.

lostangel05
01-19-2011, 05:48 PM
I have a pair but I haven't worn them enough to tell if they helped because they really hurt my feet. :(

rivkasreviews
02-09-2011, 02:48 PM
Here's what I think about shape up shoes-You've got to actually wear them often to get them to work :) I don't LOVE the claims that you don't have to set foot in a gym, because that is just too hype-y for but overall, I've definitely noticed an overall difference in my posture and core strengthening which is really great since I used to not have good posture and as a result would get bad sciatica pain, making me immobile.

It's kind of like a snowball effect in my opinion. You wear them, have better posture, which leads to better circulation, and better blood flow which makes for increased weight loss and overall health and well-being.

I'm thrilled that my pain is gone which is why I wrote a blog to review all kinds of shape up shoes. I was so confused in the beginning about what the difference was between all of the shape up brands.

Joyeful89
02-09-2011, 04:53 PM
I actually just bout a pair of ShapeUps by Sketchers this past Saturday (they look a lot better on your feet :) ). I *love* them! I don't know about the whole weight loss deal yet, but I can say that my knees haven't been hurting since wearing them and I could feel a burn in my calves when I was walking between my classes today. I did a 20-minute dance workout a week ago (barefoot) and my legs killed me for the next 3 days, but about an hour ago I did the same workout with the shoes and my legs feel great. I bought my shoes from RackRoom Shoes for $80, but they had another pair for $100 that were supposed to be for work (extended wear, no-slip soles). But AVON and a couple other companies have the same shoe design, so I'd definitely recommend trying them if you have knee and back problems.

LuckyJules
02-10-2011, 10:15 PM
I just bought my second pair of the Reebok EasyTone shoes, and bought my first pair of the RunTone shoes. I LOVE THESE SHOES!

I will never buy another pair of shoes for work (I work 10 hour days and am never sitting down). They last a long time (my first pair over a year) and they are extremely comfy. I've noticed a change in my back posture, my calves and my overall foot comfort.

Reebok has a life-time buyer here! :)

st0rmy
02-14-2011, 06:02 AM
Kay, so hi, I'm very new here, my name is stormy. :D

Anyways, bout these shoes.

So I work for tacobell, and with any fast food place, they have their own company with shoes with safety tread and stuff. Well ours isn't any different. They have their own version of this sketchers shoe, and I've been wearing it steady for a year now. My legs feel stronger, i can walk longer, and I gotta say it, my bum looks great from it!

Once you get used to weeble-like curve of this shoe, you can't help but walk that way.

I love these shoes, best 90 bucks I've spent in a while! :D

InvaderSzym
02-28-2011, 10:18 PM
I have a pair of the Reebok EasyTones. I have seen a notable difference in ONE WEEK!!! It's insane really, but I've been wearing them (basically nonstop) for a week, to class, and the grocery store etc.. Combining that with parking as far away from the store as possible I've seen a lot of tone to my calves, and my butt is starting to curve a bit more... I'll have measurement proof in a day or two when I weigh and measure in.

Just as an added bonus... if you listen to music while you're wearing them (and i'm talking, toe tapping, booty shaking, head bobbing music) you'll move a lot more and getting a little bit of an added workout when you're walking too! ;)

reptogirl
03-06-2011, 07:53 PM
i just bought the danskins ones...they were 25 in the store, cheaper online..but i heard these type of shoes run small...and they do..so i am glad i didn't order online...i have short wide feet..i think my feet would be a 6 if they weren't so wide, i usually get 9.5 i had to get these in 11!!!but they seemed kinda more narrow than some of my other shoes. im hoping they will do a little toning along the way, i mean i don't expect miracles :) but over time would be nice if they helped me lose an inch and two...and even though they are ugly they are still new shoes...which i love shoes.

lisarose
03-14-2011, 10:04 PM
I bought the Sketcher sandals, they are so very comfortable, so soft and cushiony. I didn't notice any difference in the way I walk or such, to me they act just like the wooden Dr. Scholls exercise sandal. I did notice that when I do an excessive amount of walking - 1 or more hours, my calves and bottom feel the "burn"! JcPenney carries them and they offer all sorts of coupons that take off an extra off their sale prices, too.

LightRaven
03-14-2011, 10:18 PM
I have been thinking about buying them....

But I just saw a commerical on Nickelodeon for them- in a girl version. As in.. for 12 year olds... they are all glittery and cutesy. That kinda turned me off. Because I immediately thought about my daughter in the future wanting these shoes so she can tone her legs and butt. (she's 4 presently) And I;m a little put off that Sketchers is marketing these to pre-teens. hmmmm,.

LR

HoustonMom
05-06-2011, 07:57 AM
I bought these shoes a year ago. Good/bad- they are very cushy and good for my feet, but after several months (too late to get my money back) one of the heels has deteriorated and gone kinda of flat. It squeaks when I walk. I still use them because they cost so much, but am very disappointed that they didn't remain as they should have. Bottom line....won't buy them again.

Beachplum
05-20-2011, 04:04 PM
IMHO...they are awful.. (this was my experience from last year)

I had them for a month and can I tell you I had such a pain in my back from walking with them (I have never experience back pain before) I know that the reason was the shoes. I agree with what people are saying that they are very comfortable, but I am positive that was the reason for my back pain. Kohls took them back no questions asked. It was nearly two months before I got around to taking them back too.

Haven't had a problem with my back since I stopped wearing them. :)

Tinasan419
05-31-2011, 04:23 PM
I just ordered a pair off the site and will be getting them soon. I'm excited. I walk to work and I work on my feet all day and I'm used to wearing flats which is absolute murder on my back, calves and feet in general. No support!! I don't learn my lesson but I'm not a sneaker wearer and flats are cute. As soon as I get them and test them out over the weekend, which is when I'm working non stop, I'll let you all know how they are!

P.S. I blame Kim Kardashian for my splurge. But hey, can't hurt to try it.

Kaylasoarus
06-01-2011, 03:31 AM
Around here they sell a shoe like this at Walmart for like, $20, and my coworkers say that they can really feel them working their leg muscles.

Ksquared
07-27-2011, 05:48 PM
I wear the generic brand from Payless of the Shape ups and I LOVE THEM! I have gone through two pairs! They do really help, I have lost 2 inches off my calves and after a long day at work or walking around I can really feel it in my buns!

Best of all I can work a 12 hour shift on my feet and never feel any pain what so ever. I LOVE LOVE LOVE THEM. I have heard they help burn up to 30% more calories. I don't know if this is true or not, but they do work. :)

WannaBeLoserAgain
07-27-2011, 10:13 PM
I have tried sketchers for about a month. My feet started hurting just to walk on them. I quit wearing the sketchers and my feet quit hurting.

I love New Balance.

tiffela74
09-06-2011, 01:23 AM
i was rather interested in these shoes too, Im on my feet all day, so thought they might be helpful, but we don't have a lot of $$ to spare. So I kept my eye out at a local discount store, and a few months ago, there they were. I was able to get the actual Sketcher Shape ups for less then 30.00 brand new. Ross. So if you have a Ross near you, it might be worth it to keep an eye out there. I purchased some for my husband too, and he likes them also. They're a bit clunky for me, but Im also used to being barefoot or socks most of the time so that may just be me. :dizzy:
Anyhow, I like them. I would not have paid full retail price for them, but for under 30.00 for a good pair of shoes, that I can do. :p
anyhow, just my 2cnts

Alwaysbeenbig
09-06-2011, 02:59 AM
I don't know if this is relavent but I actually work in a shoe store that sells these shoes and in my experience:

-No one with any problems with joints (hips, knee, ankle etc) should wear them. They can cause problems with stability and hence make you fall.

-They take a decent amount of time to get the feel for.

-they generally are only for walking

-they are very soft. which I think is where most of the appeal is.

-the advantages in toning that you get from the shoe would be equivalent to a 15 minute workout doing something along the line of pilates, focusing on the legs and core muscles.

Ultimately I would say that if you are only buying these shoes as a means to toning your body, I would advise investing in a cheap home work out DVD or putting the money towards a gym membership. If you are only looking for a comfortable, lazy, everyday shoe then go for it. Why do I say this? because most of the claims that they make about improving fitness can be achieved simply by walking for 30mins a day anyway.

Hope that helps and I'm not repeating anyone else :)

BrettnLaurynsmommi
09-24-2011, 09:21 AM
After seeing how silly the sketchers looked when my mom bought them I passed on buying them. Then I came across the Reebok Easy Tones and they look like a real running shoe. I needed black shoes for work so I bought a pair. I only paid $70 for the Reebok on sale. After wearing them for a month and a half I decided to measure my thighs just for kicks...well they do work. I lost 2 inches off of each thigh. I do wear them everyday for walking and for work. They take some getting used to and my legs were sore the first few days. But for me they work!

dominodreams
10-12-2011, 03:05 PM
No legitimate scientific evidence for Sketchers' claims:
http://www.topclassactions.com/lawsuit-settlements/lawsuit-news/765-skechers-shape-ups-class-action

One incident of serious injury resulting from long-term use:
http://abcnews.go.com/Business/ConsumerNews/skechers-shape-ups-lawsuit-woman-sues-toning-shoes/story?id=12927314

candice1022
10-13-2011, 03:30 PM
Im not sure where everyone lives but here in Windsor Ontario canada i have seen them for as cheap as $30 and as high as $100 depends where you shop tho... look around and ask around ive seen them at giant tiger different brand but exact same shoe for $35 ive seen them in the mall on sale at payless for like $45.

and from what ive heard from other people who have them they work great give you a good burn when your walking and tone your legs and calfs even ur butt some say. i would buy some but im on a budget right now with my son and being a single mom so im hoping i can get some for christmas actually. if they help at all isnt it worth the try?

FrouFrou
10-14-2011, 02:21 AM
For all who have said they really work I am wondering if it really is the shoes or just from the walking. I was tempted to get some but passed when I saw a few ladies at the mall walking with them on and thought how silly they look. Anyway, I don't have any and I feel the same results from just walking so that is what I am wondering, is it really the shoes or just the walking?

KD1234
10-18-2011, 03:19 AM
I'm not sure if they so much as 'work' but for me they're a lot more comfortable then my normal shoes. I have a fallen arch on my left foot and I find that these shoes just give a lot more support then others I've gotten in the past. I love them to death for everyday things. Gym... not so much! I tried them on a treadmill walking and it was very awkward but I'm pretty sure they're not really intended for that regardless so silly me for trying!

lisarose
10-19-2011, 03:05 PM
I can't use my skecher flip-flops to work (or the sneaker shoe either for that matter )- but, I would love too since I do a lot of walking about. LIke I stated earlier, I did feel the difference.
I've noticed that a couple of the stockers at my work wear them daily, but I haven't noticed that they've lost weight or toned. One lady quit wearing them & I asked her wy she did so. She said that they were just too painful. They are definitely not Weight Loss shoes, just toning shoes.

NightAngel26
01-22-2013, 06:02 PM
I had a relatively favorable experience with my sketchers, to start with I paid like 25.00 for mine because my dented can store gets the less popular colors cheap... then I do find that it seems to help my balance, but it's killer on the calves at the gym...not gym shoes! Fine for walking though. I like em, feel a difference in my walk, forces me to use other parts of my body for balance and such. I've had 2 pairs of these now and a pair of a knock off brand from a big box store...they seem about the same.

teekim22
02-11-2013, 02:36 PM
Chrztina I don't think they do work...according to this website (http://skechersshapeupsinjurylawyer.com/ftc-40-million-settlement/) they talk about how the FTC actually served lawsuits to both Reeboks and Skechers for making false claims. Something about the doctors supporting the claims were actually married to a Skechers executive but no surprise there right?

teekim22
02-11-2013, 02:40 PM
My boyfriends mother bought them as well but I told her to stop wearing them after I visited this site. They got sued recently by the FTC and have to give refunds to everyone now- they made false claims and fabricated favorable stories about their shoes -_- You can read about the lawsuit here (http://skechersshapeupsinjurylawyer.com/ftc-40-million-settlement/) of course these guys might be a bit biased but still, the FTC has a page on it too. Here's the FTC page on the case http://www.ftc.gov/bcp/cases/skechers/index.shtm

Psychic
02-11-2013, 02:45 PM
I bought Danskin ones from Walmart for $20. I could feel a difference in my calves the first few days that I wore them. They are useless for running or for walking on anything other than a hard surface.

newmommy5112
02-13-2013, 09:59 PM
no, and it gave me shin splints and i was pretty thin at the time.