Weight Loss Support - The 21 Day Challenge: Making Healthy Habits #4

Arabella
07-07-2002, 07:42 AM
The 21 Day Challenge was originally posted by Katrina, from an EDiets forum.(Thanks, Katrina! :cool:) This thread is based on that idea, but is more generic: YOU decide what behavior you want to focus on (you might want to follow WW or some variation, or may just want to commit to a certain amount of exercise -- whatever behavior you would like to make a habit) and commit to that for 21 Days. Then you might continue on for another block of the same, or you may want to add another behavior. The idea is that it tales 21 days to form a new habit. Sometimes it takes a lot of starts before you get through the first block of 21 days :rolleyes: but if you persevere, you WILL make it. And it gets much easier as you go along, until - YES! - healthy behavior becomes a habit!

21 DAY CHALLENGE

1. Your 21 days must be CONSECUTIVE days! That is the whole point in forming new habits.

2. This works on the "honor" system...no one will monitor you...if you "mess-up", you are only cheating yourself by not beginning again! The importance behind this challenge is to have 21 consecutive days of self control!!

3. What do the numbers mean that you see by peoples' names?? They stand for DAY/POUNDS LOST/BLOCK. 1/0/1 is Day 1, 0 pounds lost, Block 1.

4. Once you have finished block #1 (the first 21 days) you will progress to block #2...

5. For each block, you should state your rules and follow them for 21 days... repeat this as many times as necessary until you are at your goal. Your rules may be as specific or vague as you want: for example, I've considered just at the end of each day, asking myself whether my behavior would lead to better health (and weightloss) and counting myself on track if it did. Or you can stipulate as many rules as you'd like - if you want to change your plan, simply start over with a new Day 1.

Good luck to you as you complete your journey! :love: YOU CAN DO THIS!!! It all starts with a single step... and following with a new one each day!!

JoJoJo2
07-07-2002, 08:02 AM
Day Three for me !! Good morning, all.

We actually had some rain last night. Real rain. Big juicy drops of it. It sounded so wonderful. There was also thunder and lightning with it, and of course you wonder about the lightning starting more fires. It caused a transformer to go out in our block so at 11:00 PM a nice, young fireman was at the door telling us about the problem and reminding us to keep our pets in due to the downed lines. Our nice aged cat was safely in for the night, so we were OK. More excitement than we have had in some time.

On to an OP Sunday. Stick with it, everyone.

3/0/1

Arabella
07-07-2002, 08:10 AM
Good Morning Blockettes! :D

Ah well, my craving for dessert led me to invite friends for dinner which led me to too much wine and no point-counting. So. Day 1 again. Although, actually, I think I'm going to take today to decide how to adapt the challenge. I guess I want to include the occasional day off (like yesterday). Hmmm... maybe 1 per block.

OK, I guess I could go on with that. So I guess my new challenge is to do WW (I've discovered that their point range works pretty well for me when I use my exercise points), exercise almost every day, drink the water. Other subgoals (thank you, Queen Amarantha!) are to meditate every day, do something FUN every day (yes, I am so pathetic that I have to schedule fun :rolleyes: ), and to get tons of exercise, incl. 3 sessions each of: yoga, circuit training, walking, Tai chi and high intensity aerobics per week.

I intend to work very hard, and go scrupulously by the numbers this week to try to ensure a loss on Friday. I am noticing firmer muscles, and I look smaller and have lost an inch from both waist and hips. But it is just WRONG to have the scales register 3 pounds up :cry: and I want them GONE!

I'm going to go do yoga before a walk. I am starting back on the block TODAY. Yesterday wasn't ugly (I haven't actually had a really ugly day for months, now, which feels very good), but definitely wasn't one to repeat too often. And I know that I could have controlled and monitored points and stayed on the block, but I just chose not to. So my plan is to allow for one day like that in the block.

I think we're all queens here! :) Greetings to Your Royal Majesties:

Queen Indigogirl, love the photo of you and DS -- you look great! Looser clothes are definitely a good sign.

Queen Eydie, how was the MIL visit? Remember that castles have dungeons for a reason.

Queen Wildfire of Cape Breton, good plan to be ruthless with that closet. I should do the same. I know that I've got clothes that I put on and feel crummy in -- why not avoid the whole issue?

Queen JoJo, how's your Sunday going? We had torrential rain the other night -- i was out with my mother and grandson and the streets turned to rivers -- very disconcerting!

Queen Katrina, I know you'll be flying again this week.

Queen Prism, I'm glad that your family gathering went well. These things are so important, to honour the memories those we've loved and lost.

Queen UpandAway, we (that would be the royal "we" of course ;) ) are so pleased that you like our name! I really think Arabella existed, because -- how would a 3 year old come up with that name?

Queen Brighterdays, what kind of tai chi are you learning? Mine is Taoist Tai chi -- 108 sequences, which I'm still trying to get down (you never finish, of course, but only continually refine). The absolute best thing you can do is to: 1. never miss a class, and 2. practice, practice, practice (wish i'd taken my own advice, but I always resolve to try harder!

Queen Punkinseed, I cannot believe the gall of the doctor's office staff - Off with their heads!

Queen Amarantha, are you looking forward to being in a newsroom for a couple of days? It sounds like fun to me. This working alone in the house can get to be a bit tedious sometimes, i find.

Queen Jelynn, so nice to see you here again!

Queen Yoyo Mom, 5 pounds off is FANTASTIC! :D

Queen Cindilier, how are you settling in to the block?

Queen Kaylets, hope your birthday was fun!

Queen Lucky13, welcome to the block!

-- And of course, greetings to any Queens just lurking! :D

Let's make this a fabulous day, Queens of the Block! :D
xo
Queen babette
1/208 (-7)/2

Wildfire
07-07-2002, 10:10 AM
On to Day 2.

Have all kinds of stuff to get done today, so I'm just checking in before I start. How many more weeks of summer are left..let me check...*sigh* eleven weeks until September 21 and the beginning of Autumn. I really dislike the summer months and this insufferable heat. It's been 30 degrees celsius or higher for weeks now.

Oh well...keep cool today and stay OP! In eleven weeks, we'll be closer to our goals.

2/-9.8lbs/2

brighterdays
07-07-2002, 11:12 AM
Hail Queen Babette!

I'm feeling very royal and distinguished this am, thanks to you.

My tai chi is the simplified form with 24 forms. We are on form 2 and he said in the first 6 week class we will only learn 3 forms (but we will "learn them WELL"). :nono:

I have the book he recommended so I'm trying to practice WELL between classes. I'm kinda hoping we get to form # 4 (we have only been in class 2 weeks of the 6). :shrug:

Today is the last day of my vacation and I'm back to work tomorrow:rolleyes: I'm going to try to go back to the gym (that I already pay for monthly) twice a week at lunch- wish me luck fitting that into my work schedule again!:strong:

Curtsy to the Queens of the block and I shall be off to another OP day---good luck everyone and have a Royal day!

:wave:

Amarantha2
07-07-2002, 02:05 PM
GOOD MORNING, ROYAL BLOCKETTE QUEENS!!! (Robin Williams' voice, shouting) My Royal Report today is thus: I'm on Day One again, but NOT because I was off program, only that I need to start on Sundays to coincide with my weigh-ins, speaking of WHICH, I lost a half pound, which for a change is the RIGHT direction, so I'm calling last week the pre-cognition week (e.g., blip, blip, blip, blip, blip) and am now ready to begin in earnest. SUCCESS ALWAYS BREEDS SUCCESS, so Royal Ones, I am on a Blockwalk Roll!!! My new plan is the same as the old EXCEPT I'm going for a high of 2200 calories (to account for splurges, but not too much). My weekly calorie average last week was approximately 2400 and my total calories burned through exercise was approximately 1760. That average was higher than I liked but the loss of a half pound confirms my formulas are correct, as the math is consistent with gains and losses. A better average for me would be 1750, but I'm unlikely to achieve that. I'm keeping my overall initiative the same: ultimate goal weight 135, 155 for this initiative of three 21-day periods (on or off the block) and am keeping my numbers the same. My numbers are now: 1/165.5(-5)/1.

I've identified 10 subgoals for this Blockwalk; they are only goals and do not affect whether my day is successful or not. I affirm that goals by their nature will not always be reached. My SUBGOALS are thus: 1) To be highly consistent with the high quality glucosomine supplement I spent big $ on instead of taking the cheapo stuff or forgetting altogether. It could be a placebo effect, but I think I feel better when I take this supplement and if I feel better, I am more active; 2) To make a special effort to stay hydrated all day (to ask myself constantly if I'm hydrated); 3) To have a smoothie of fruit or vege each day; 4) To maintain positive self-talk and clear all the negative garbage out of my brain (to constantly ask myself if I'm thinking the most useful thoughts I could be thinking or if I'm harming myself and others with negative vibes); 5) NO DULCE DE LECHE; 6) To post each day on the Block of Royalty (or Block of Goddesses or Block of Crones or Block of Trendy Up-And-Coming Young Executives or whatever floats the boat and fills the bill; 7) To use my chin firmer exercise thing each day (I swear this works); 8) To not procrastinate things I need to do, which causes stress and leads me to overeat; 9) To remember that I'm about more than weight loss but that weight loss is a priority to me because when I am at an unhealthy weight, I am uncomfortable and unhappy and do not accomplish much; 10) To meditate each day to keep my blood pressure stable.

This challenge has been very helpful to me. There's just something about it that has clicked and I appreciate the upbeatness of all the Royal Blockettes. It's like living on the block where Buckingham Palace is and having a daily chat with the Queen as she walks her corgis. She is a neat lady, though I doubt if she's able to just stroll around her block and check out the neighbors at will. In fact, there probably aren't any appreciable neighbors on her block. So, all in all, I'm glad to be Queen Aramantha of the Walking Poles and only the ruler of my own little Queendom!

I credit the Walking Pole People with my half pound loss. I think the extra calories I burned with those poles made the difference and as a reward for my loss this week I will buy an extra pair to put in the car when I am near the sporting goods store.

Queen Arabella: Thanks for starting the new thread. Don't cry over your three pounds (though I understand your frustration)! If you are smaller and tighter, you HAVE GAINED MUSCLE and that's a good thing. In the end, the muscle will get you to where you want to go. So as you know (I KNOW YOU KNOW :)) the scale's only ONE measurement. It's just one tool in the Royal Blockette Brigade's arsenal of weapons! BTW, I also have to schedule fun or I don't do it ... you're right, it's pathetic! :lol:

I'm not actually looking forward to working in the newsroom, oddly enough. I thought that's where I want to be but guess my priorities are shifting and it just seems like a step back at the moment. I have come to understand that life in the newsroom has never brought me anything but stress and excess poundage and blocked arteries. The publisher talked to me about us all having a talk at lunch and I'm afraid they'll offer me a job and that's not the direction I am now headed in, so I'm feeling stressed. But I need the money for the two days anyway and they need the help and are good people. I am vowing not to let the stress make me go off the block!

To all Queens, Crones, Executives, Young Girls, Woodland Nymphs, Sprites, Elves, Leprechauns, Realists, Average Josies, and games players of all kinds and parameters, congratulations on all your accomplishments. Sorry to not do complete individual replies and to talk so much about ME, ME, ME, ME, ME!!! :lol: I need to write a paper and take a nap and make protein bars.

Kerrie
07-07-2002, 07:09 PM
Hi! Can I come and play? jelynn told me about this thread as I was talking to her about my personal 21 day challenges. Sounds like I'm not the only one who likes those!

To quickly introduce myself . . . I'm a 32 (for roughly 3 more weeks!) yr. old SAHM to 4 kids ages 10, 7, 5, and 1. I have over 100 pounds to lose but don't have a set, defined weight goal. I'm going to get to the top of my weight-for-height range (I'm short--only 5' 2 1/2") and see where I want to go from there.

I'm not going to make my 21-day challenges related to a certain # of pounds lost. I'll include that number but my personal goal is to take one or two (depending on how hard they are) things that I struggle with and work them for 21 days, then add another. I had great success with eliminating an evening snacking habit doing this. I still have a snack in the evening occasionally but it isn't every night and it isn't a habit.

So my challenge for my first time around the block is to exercise 6 days per week. I just bought The Firm's Body Sculpting System (Fanny Lifter and 3 videos) and am excited to get using them.

I look forward to getting to know all of you!

deleted2
07-07-2002, 07:32 PM
Yikes! I'll have to call an end to my 10 Day run because I've just realized that I haven't had any fruits or vegetables today! How did that happen? Just not paying attention, I guess. :( Getting in tons of fresh fruit/veggies is only the main thrust of the dietary part of my program, so to be truthful I have to call this day a wash. Tomorrow's another day, etc...!

Anyone have any special challenges coming up this week? For me, it's more children's programs at work and I'm making snacks for the little newts so my goal is no mindless indulging.

Amarantha, I've been meaning to tell you that I understand too well your liking for dulce de leche. 2 nights ago I went to 4 different markets looking for dulce de leche ice cream! Not proud of that but there it is!

Welcome, Kerrie! This is the juiciest most motivating thread I've ever been a part of. Looking forward to getting to know you too!

Good night, Queens!

:)

Wildfire
07-07-2002, 08:13 PM
Oops, I did it again...

So, tomorrow is gonna be Day One again. :o No, it wasn't pizza this time. It was Chinese food. There was deep fried stuff. I won't go into the gory details.

I'm back on track tomorrow and I WILL lose 0.2lbs before Wednesday and get that stupid pink ribbon at my WW meeting.

Welcome, Kerrie! When is your birthday? Mine is August 7th, and I'll be 33, too.

Amarantha2
07-07-2002, 08:21 PM
Well, Day One is looking good and I've ended the eating day at 2190 calories, 65 minutes of pole walking. At 113 degrees, I didn't feel like doing the minutes all at once, so divided them into several shorter session and may get more in. Still trying to write my paper.

Welcome Domestic Goddess Kerrie!!! A goddess among the queens is highly appropriate! I love your toaster avatar! Sounds like you've got a good plan going. The 21-Day Challenge as practiced on this Royal/Celestial Block doesn't seem to be about number of pounds lost or gained; mostly people just declare behavioral goals such as you've done. Some put the pounds in their posts just for fun and to motivate themselves and others, I'd say. So you seem right in synch with your goals.

Eydie: I can relate to the search for dulce de leche. Be afraid, be very afraid!!! Actually, though, I can't see why a version could not be made at home that is low in fat and sugar. I'm going to work on it.

Speaking of ice cream (always on my mind at 113 degrees), WW new magazine has a recipe for a blueberry homemade version that looks unbelievably beautiful. I'm planning it for next weekend.

My special challenge coming up this week is the two days of full-time work at the paper. I just know this is going to stress me out and I've made lots of food to take with me. If anyone insists I eat out, I shall do so and tonight will plan what I might eat in such an event. Then I can just toss or bring home my own food.

The protein/oat bars I made came out nicely at 107 calories, almost no fat. They contain two cups of oatmeal, a tablespoon of wheat germ (a good source of folate), a little brown sugar, Splenda, Eggbeaters (a little two serving cup), a quarter cup of Wondra flour, 115 calories of raisins for 12 bars, vanilla, baking soda, a scoop of Designer Protein Vanilla Praline protein powder, a quarter cup of skim milk powder, water. I baked these for 20 minutes at 350 degrees and they got very brown but I like them that way. I cut them into 12 squares and wrapped each in foil to freeze (except for the one that found its way into Old Dog, who is very quick indeed and a thief).

Have a great night, Royal Queens (and Domestic Goddess). I am picturing everyone on Monday morning emerging from their palaces onto the Block of Royal Residences. All are amazingly fit, intelligent, powerful and lovely. Perhaps some are wearing flowing royal robes and carrying their staffs of power. Some sport colorful Elizabethan clothing ... farthingales and ruffles ... but their huge skirts are tied trouser fashion because they are so fit and athletic and are out there for exercise. The royal queens (and goddesses) laugh and talk as they run, jump, leap, stroll and gambol around their royal block with walking poles, dogs, cats, parrots and balancing cups of latte with amaretto and shaved chocolate in their hands and they swig from bottles of lowfat dulce de leche they carry in their flowing garments. They head back to their respective palaces where healthy breakfasts await, prepared by the hands of devoted cooks ... perhaps blueberry ice cream, eggs with no butter, toast that is not burned.

Hmmm. I'll stop now.

1/165.5(-0)/1

Kaylets
07-07-2002, 09:54 PM
Hello all!!

This is wonderful-- I always knew that I had royalty in the family!!
Now the good news is that its me!! Altho, I might have to pick up an AKA as Woodland Nymph--

Weekend again, way too short- we can really see results in the gardens which is making it all worthwhile. I guess there's a moral in that story....

Thanks for the advice re: bathroom scales!

Walmart had a pretty economical digital scale with a lithium battery so that's what we bought. And just as I figured, I was leaning over so far to read the other scale ( and, yes, I did have my glasses on, :dizzy: :^: !!) that I must have been making the old scale topheavy. I only tried the new scale out in the kitchen ( appropriate don't you think??) and was THRILLED to see even with clothes on a lower weight!! My husband's weight with clothes on was only 2lbs more sooooooooo, his eyesight must be better than mine. Well, I guess, I could have had him read the old scale for me but if you have to use 8lbs as zero to start with, I say its time to invest in a new one.

so, I hear you.. how much did I lose?? :?: :?:

Well, I'm not exactly sure. Some of you might remember from another thread that I didnt have a start weight to begin with-- I think its almost 10lbs- It might be more- I know, I know, how can I be this way.... all I can say is, I didnt care where I was initially, I just knew I had to be somewhere else--

Queen Armanatha!! I never knew what La Leche de Dulce was -- but saw a can in the grocery store-- But I showed it to my DH and said, this is dangerous, we cannot try this- Hee, hee... It sounds as though you're temptation is a frozen one but still, I just backed up slowly and headed down the aisle to the chickpeas.
But, before I forget, a big round of applause for doing all that prep cooking for your special week ..... this way you are prepared and can concentrate on the stresses of the newsroom. It was a royal good decision!

For all who were waiting for an update:
Tofu cheescake should not be called cheescake. My DH enjoyed h is "for what it is". I will let him fine tune the recipe some more
and keep you all posted.

Queen Babette, hope you can give yourself a break now that the "month end' has ended. I tend to forget my priorities during crunch times like those and wind up a mess. A lady I really respect taught me that I must take lunch, at least 30 minutes every day even if it meant staying late or coming in early. It really helped me.

Queeen Punkinseed- I can't wait to hear what the doctors office will say on Monday!!

Queen Indigo, Those Khakis DO look loose!! Keep smiling!!

I'm not up on my court etiquette- could we have a reprint of the diet soda cake recipe??
PLEASE !!!!!

Thanks for the bar recipe--sounds tasty

I saw next to the Slimfast a "Truly Soy" powder - the calories and nutritional values were nearly the same as the Slimfast powder, the price was nearly double the Slimfast. I didnt try it because I have not had luck feeling full with "drink meals", but was wondering if anyone was familiar with this product??

And before I sign off, glad to know my July 4th post was enjoyed.

I bumped into this quote yesterday and thought I'd share- It's a new favorite, " Try to define defeat as postponed victory"

I am curtsying as I leave the room. ooopppps, my crown just slipped over my eye. Hmmm, maybe this is a new fashion statement!

Till tomorrow!!

Amarantha2
07-08-2002, 12:40 AM
Kaylets: Hi, I'm still trying to write my paper and I'm still procrastinating, so I'm glad you posted so I can procrastinate so more. Just wanted to respond to the Truly Soy question ... don't go there (apologies to all who may like Truly Soy and to the company that makes it; this is just my opinion). Maybe I just like Slimfast so much ... but I like other kinds of protein and meal replacement powders also and I love soy products; it's just that ... hmmm. For a good tasting (in my opinion only) soy meal replacement, you need to go to a liquid soy drink (I like Westsoy's total nutrition drink). I also recently read some study or other that said the calcium in soy products fortified with calcium was not absorbed as well as in dairy. I have no opinion on whether this is true. In fact, I was a vegetarian for years, sometimes replacing dairy with soy, sometimes not, and my calcium intake seemed fine. But calcium's extremely important for women so ...

I am sending your quote to a sad friend of mine in just a sec. Thanks for that. No curtsying required, just a wave'll do!

Glad you are enjoying your scale. Keep on running from ducle de leche!!!

Guess I'll get back to the paper! Or not.

Arabella
07-08-2002, 07:51 AM
Good Morning, Your Royal Majesties! :D

So many titles, so little time!

Queen Amarantha, I hear you with that procrastination thing. I must stop, because it only leads to stress and misery! I am today committing to posting only now, at the start of the day, and perhaps checking in at the end of the day. Also staying away from other non-work related sites, other than the online diet journal. Sigh. It's the only way, and I know I'll feel better for it.... Now, let's see, what kind of fun can I schedule for today...:rolleyes: So glad I'm not the only one! Okay -- total honesty coming up: I am having a little difficulty thinking of something fun. That's how bad it is. Must change mindset!

Queen Kaylets, that's great about your new scales and the :eek: 10 pounds! I admit I've been harbouring the hope that mine need a new battery. Can't believe how MEAN they're being to me. :(

Wildfire, Queen of Cape Breton: do you ever think of including a splurge day in your plan? Not a "hog wild" deal, but a day where you can indulge a bit? Sometimes that can really help. I don't know why I'm giving you advice, though, anyway. You're doing fantastic!

I know that making my plan a bit more flexible enabled me to keep going longer. My problem, elsewise, is the old "well, i'm off plan now and will be going back on plan, so I'd better get while the getting's good." And then eating everything in sight, and looking for more.

Queen Eydie, in a funny way, I think that going to 4 markets for the ice cream is a positive sign -- you knew what you wanted and went out and got it. Just the situation in which I often (not recently, I'm happy to report) systematically eat everything in the house in lieu of what I'm really craving, whereas if I had what I wanted, I would probably have eaten much less.

On the other hand, I think that Queen Kaylets acted wisely, backing slowly away, making no sudden movements and taking refuge in the chickpea section. I intend to avoid contact with the dreaded D de L, if at all poss.

Queen Brighterdays, practicing well is key! After a year and a half of lessons, I still can't get through the whole set, mostly because I missed classes and didn't practice enough. Nevertheless, I am making progress, and will continue to muddle along. I practiced in my back yard yesterday, and I'm sure the neighbors were v. intrigued. ;)

Queen Kerrie, welcome to the royal block! Behavioral change is what we're all about here -- after all, what brought us to this point? Behaviors!

Let's make this a fabulous day, Queens of the Block! Treat yourselves royally! :D

xo
Queen babette (where is the "smiley in tiara"?) :wave:
2/208 (-7)/2

upandaway
07-08-2002, 08:05 AM
Well Blockettes, I finished my first 21 day stroll around the Block and other than the wonderful company here I don't feel like I've accomplished a great deal. I kept to my goals, even the toughest one 'try to be kind to the lady in the mirror'. Yesterday was weigh in day however and still no change. Later in the morning I realized TOM had crept up on me with no warning so I'm hoping that water retention is the culprit. I analyzed my journal backwards and forwards looking for miscalculations and found none. I couldn't bring myself to post here yesterday, I was just too depressed to allow myself to inflict all the negativity onto all you caring folks, though I know you wouldn't have minded and indeed would have picked me up and dusted me off. Instead I left the cheering up to DH, he did a pretty good job of it. Mostly though I needed to just use some positive self talk and remind myself why giving up or giving in is not an option. When all's said and done I did what I set out to do on my 21 day journey, and I kept to my goals, so I have reason to be pleased with my progress. I feel better physically, just being OP, sleep better and am happier overall. So despite the nasty hateful scale that refuses to budge, I feel (somewhat) successful.

For my next 21 days I don't feel the need to change what I did the first time around, these are still areas I need to remain committed to.

1) I will stay within my point range and use WW123 Success Plan.
2) Water water water
3) I will increase my activity this time from a minimum of 20 minutes a day to 30. (I've actually been doing way more than that but as a minimum goal on these 'bloated' days, I'd rather have a smallish amount to do!)
4) Try to be kind to the lady in the mirror, even when I don't really like what I see.
5) Continue to journal both food and emotions.

Have a wonderful Monday everyone!
upandaway
1/4/2

ElaineR.
07-08-2002, 09:57 AM
Hi all,

I am on Day 9 and doing good. I was away on a family trip for the 4th.. that is normally a disaster for me.. but I did ok. I stayed with my brother and sister-in-law .. and my brother can be very difficult to be around. He is a very angry and hostile person who makes everyone around him feel about an inch tall. The only reason I go there is to visit my mother who stays with them.. otherwise I wouldn't bother.

But, I did not abuse myself with food. In fact, as I was packing to leave yesterday.. I found myself falling into that binge mentality.. something I would normally do as a release after being around an abuser for five days.. but I found myself saying.. what good what that do.. why should I hurt myself because he is so hateful.. so, not only did I not overeat.. but I lost my urge to binge.. and THAT for me is a major accomplishment. Anyway.. back to work.

Thanks everyone,
Elaine

Amarantha2
07-08-2002, 10:22 AM
Yo! I'm on Day Two and out of here, but I need to explain a new change!!!

Royal Ladies, if you want to throw me off the block, that's ok, but I've had it with starting over so many times!!! :) So here's my new plan, kind of inspired by Queen Arabella and kind of inspired by The Mole 2 television program: Plan is the same at 2200 calories per day and a session of exercise, BUT I'm adding what The Mole show (silly show, but I like it) calls "exemptions" where the player gets a guaranteed free ride to the next round and can't be "executed." So I'm allowing myself TWO exemptions per block and you guessed it, I've used one already. I realize this isn't in the spirit of the 21-day challenge posted above but I need to progress!!! Also, I am really only going for 14 days at the moment because I will likely restart in two weeks to keep current with my overall original initiative.

So Queens, Nymphs, Executives, Crones, Goddesses, Etc., that's my new mission should I decide to accept it.

Erg!!! Upandaway, Queen Aramantha doesn't want to hear anymore thoughts from Queen Upandaway that she is only SOMEWHAT successful. Queen Upandaway has completed 21-days of being OP and that is TOTALLY SUCCESSFUL!!! Queen U&A will in the fullness of time reveal physical manifestations of what she has accomplished (e.g., the weight WILL drop off when she least expects it, believe me on this, you can take this to the bank). Queen U&A has also proven herself a trouper by working through her frustration with the scale and realizing that marching forth onto a new block is the ONLY way to consolidate her successes and multiply them, eventually reaching her goals!!! :)

Queen Arabella, er, Queen Babette? I can't find the smilie! But I am smiling and promising myself to have FUN today. Sigh. Not really sure what that will be. Onward, modifying all the way.

If anyone wants to throw me off the block for rewriting my own constitution, that's ok. Hah! Try it! :)

I know this has been tried before and it dies, but is anyone interested in a food and exercise journal on this board? I'd love to see everyone's menus and exercise but don't really have time to go to online journals. I don't want to start one if no one will use it ... I get discouraged too easily!!! :lol"

2/165.5(-.5)/1
Exemptions Left: 1

katrinabgood
07-08-2002, 12:36 PM
All hail Queens of The Block! Long live the Queens!

I love the image of all the queens, in their various states of royal garb, parading around the block...I'm picturing Buckingham Palace, with all of us parading by...accompanied by, or ON, walking poles, roller blades, bicycles, pets, etc...throw in some jugglers, some unicycling clowns and a flag from each state/province/country that we each represent and we've got quite the parade! I love it!!

I'm setting off on another block walk today. I WILL do 21 days this time! (Scarlett O'Hara pose)

My plan includes,
1.following "Fit for Life," eating plan.
2.daily exercise...at least 30 minutes of something to raise the pulse and induce heavy breathing... (not that! hmmm....though not a bad idea!) ;)
3.128 oz water/day (divide body weight in half to give you # of how many ounces of water you should drink per day.)
4.A built in "treat" every 7 days...within moderation. Something to look forward to and not feel deprived.

Sub-goals...a la Queen Amarantha, highly desirable, but not essential to a successful day will include...
scheduling something FUN! (another pathetic case) Or make that, scheduling some ME time...time for uninterrupted reading, crocheting, pampering, meditating...whatever.

We sure have a large, POSITIVE group here! So much inspiration to be drawn from everyone's energy!

Amarantha...I like the "exemption" idea! I think I will hold that for Block 2...BTW...you're not going anywhere! We need you right here!

Elaine...good for you, not letting an angry jerk upset your eating plan. That is a BIG step, not giving in to emotional eating...high 5's to you!

Upandaway...first of all, congratulations on getting ALL THE WAY AROUND THE BLOCK!! You go girl! Please don't worry about the number on the scale. You are doing great!

babette...I'm taking my first Tai Chi class tonight! Been wanting to do this for a long time...will keep you posted!

Kaylets...You've inspired me to get out and get a scale. Great job...10#! Do you weigh with or without the crown?? :lol:

Wildfire...ooh that Chinese food will get you every time! (God, I love it!) Drink lots of water, flush it all out! Fingers are crossed for the ribbon!

Eydie...10 days is a good long run. I have discovered that a juicer is great way to get LOTS of fruits/vegs in. I have no problem eating either, but I get a LOT more in by juicing. Might be worth a try. Even smoothies in the blender is a good way to get a few fruits in at once...:T

Kerrie! WELCOME! This is a fantastic, interesting, motivated group of people! I think you will love it here! PS..I love "The Firm" !

OK...this is as far as I can scroll back to fetch names without losing my post...so to all the rest of the Queens..."Hail and well met!" Keep on royally forging ahead...see you all 'round the block!

Punkinseed
07-08-2002, 03:03 PM
(curtsy) Hello your Highnesses!

It is I, Queen Punkin... (thank you Babette, I feel so regal!) after having survived a weekend of visitors, I'm proud to say I'm down 1.5 pounds. Unfortunately, I received another visitor last night, around 11pm. I heard him calling me.... "helloooo" he called. It was Luigi, the King of Sourdough... he beckoned me, tempting me with butter and a knife, and I must say I am now ruined... henceforth, I must start over at Day One.

In regards to the royal frocks. I am pleased to announce that I bought my first pair of pants in a size L, not 1x, not 2x... I shopped in the "Miss" department for the first time in YEARS!! :cool:

Messages for the members of the court:

Kaylets - I was going to tell you about my Tanita scale, but heck, I'll take yours if it'll weigh me lighter! I'm glad you got a more accurate scale than you had. Happy belated birthday too! :hb:

yoyomom - I'm convinced everything is good for you AND it all causes cancer too. I think they'll never really *know* what they're doing. :rolleyes:

Amarantha - No, I didn't get to yell at the Dr. AND they STILL haven't called me back!!!! It's now 11:50am... the longer they wait the more of my red-headed temper they're going to get (even though I'm not that mad *now* but I'm not letting them know that).
I almost picked up the banana/pineapple slimfast (I drink it for breakfast). Is it any good??
As for changing the "rules" - I'm all for adding an "exception" clause. Perfection is a hard thing to aim for. We may be royal, but we are human (gasp!)

Indigogirl - Congrats on shrinking!!!! Time for new clothes!

Eydie - Yes, it's the frosting. Frosting is evil :devil:

JoJo - Well, you need the rain but not the lightning! We had the same here in central Oregon yesterday too. I love to listen to it, but fearful of fires. Thankfully we had the big fat drops of rain too. Stay dry!

Welcome to Goddess Kerrie! Never call yourself "short" - the correct term would be "vertically challenged".

*gracefully bowing to those I didn't address* Have a great week everyone!! :wave:

Terri

Day 1/1.5 pounds/Block 1

Amarantha2
07-08-2002, 07:59 PM
I'm back and still on Day Two. It looks like I won't be using my exemption today anyway. Thanks to everyone for tolerating my exemption convention. Tomorrow is another day (yes, Scarlett, it is!). I believe a job offer will be made tomorrow that will involve feature writing and traveling (just around the county), which is pretty much what I was doing before for another publication before the bottom dropped out of the economy. Since I'm now in a program to turn me into a counselor, I don't know how I feel about that, but I need the money, so the long and short of it is I want some Demon Dulce De Leche on the way out tomorrow. We'll see!

Queens, Nymphs, Duchesses, Goddesses, Beautiful Crones, jugglers, doggies, kitties, parrots and parakeets, ribbons, jewels, rich clothing of every era and description, flags, banners, ribbons, clowns all moving healthily around the Block of Royal Palaces! :) I like that image a lot, too, Queen Katrina, and it makes me smile and smiling causes weight loss!! (It really does!)

Queen Punkin: I love the orange/pineapple SF, but my favorite fruit one is the cranberry. It's super good cold over ice. (But then anything's good over ice ... I also take frozen cranberries and a few frozen strawberries and frappe them into a smoothie with a bit of water and Splenda ... might be good to put the berries in the cranberry SF with ice and frappe away. A ROYAL DRINK!) Congratulations on ONE AND A HALF POUNDS OUT O' TOWN! Also on the SIZE SHIFT FOR THE ROYAL PANTS!!! I've met Luigi, King o' Sourdough. Don't worry. He's a fraud!!! He only looks luscious and fattening. Actually, sourdough is generally the least caloric bread of all! Luigi looks like a king, but he's really a peasant (which is good).

Queen Elaine: You posted at the same time I did this a.m., but I wanted to also congratulate you on staying OP when faced with stresses created by your brother. That is very hard to do and you deserve an exemption or something for that achievement. You expressed very well what I often feel about my own "binge mentality" ... it is self-abuse. But everytime we resist, we become stronger to resist again. Have a great Day 10.

Like Queen Arabella/Babette (or Babette/Arabella), I'm pledging myself to post less, so I'm off to sit in a cold bathtub and contemplate lovely cool pine forests that do not burn but rather refresh our royal spirits and bring peace to our royal hearts so that we might contemplate the best ways to achieve our physical and spiritual goals and be the Queens we were intended to be.

Since I no longer know what I'm saying, I'll just say good-night, Gracie. My numbers remain thusly:

2/165.5(-.5)/1
Exemptions Remaining: 1

jelynn
07-08-2002, 08:17 PM
Well, I got through the day and I'm on my way to day #2!! Whooo-hoo! Didn't happen for me at all last week, but I know that once I get a good day or two behind me then I'm good to go for a few days anyway. Maybe this time I'll actually make it around the block!

I also didn't have any of my favorite diet cola softdrink- all day long! I may sneak out to 7-11 in a bit- to "drink" instead of munch for the rest of evening. I'm out of cans and I'm not going to buy anymore-- when I have them I drink them instead of water and need to get the water habit in gear.

I don't have time to address everyone (I rarely do)- so please accept my apologies. But you are all doing great and I'm finding reading (and participating) in this thread so motivating! Let's keep it going!!

Just a quick note to Queen Amarantha: DON"T DO IT!! (re: the dulce le leche) Just think how much more handy that exemption will be down the road when you are on day 15 or 20 :)

Have a great night all :D :wave:

Amarantha2
07-09-2002, 12:11 AM
Yo! Another quick note after I signed off! Jelynn: It's too late, my exemption is used up but it was in Slimfast on ice instead of dulce de leche. But because of the exemption, I'm in the running for Day 3. My calorie average is too high but exercise is good. Congratulations on your Day 2!

Going back to bed in a sec, but here are my new numbers:

2/165.5(-.5)/1
Exemptions Left: 0

Arabella
07-09-2002, 07:12 AM
Good Morning, Your Royal Highnesses!

Fell off the block yesterday afternoon. I've been feeling bummed and tired, overwhelmed at how much work i've taken on. Must change mindset! Anyway, yesterday aft I was also v. tired. Didn't get enough sleep and added an extra 10 minutes to a high-intensity (prolly too high intensity) step routine. I stopped when I felt like I'd overdone it, but ... I was totally zonked. I shall endeavor to build my strength and endurance.

That said, I did nothing drastic, but picked at dinner while I was cooking (major :nono: ) and had a beer that I didn't intend to have at dinner. Still within points, but that eating standing in the kitchen is WAY off limits, for VERY good reason :eek:.

I LOVE being a nymph! Although I must bring my inner nymph outer (also may decide to join the sprite camp at some point). I find myself fantasizing about the beach. Between work and other work (landscaping, painting, etc.) I feel like the summer will fly past and I won't have a chance to appreciate it. I intend to make a real attempt to do so. I WILL get to the beach.

Queen Amarantha, sign me up for the journalfest. I think that it's very helpful to know that I've got to put what I eat online. And you're right, it would be quicker than the online journal. So - yup - let's do it! Oh, and ... you are not going anywhere! Abdication is not allowed! :D

Queen Jelynn, glad to hear you're doing well. Are you finding moderation easier? You're doing great turning cola into water :lol: It's nice to have something like that that can be an occasional treat, too.

Queen Punkin, WTG on the pants! So nice to be able to walk past the "Plus" department! :D

Queen Elaine R. (I believe I missed you in my earlier Royal addresses - sorry!), congratulations for not letting that family stress make you hurt yourself! Family stuff is the worst, no kidding...but our #1 duty is to look after ourselves.

Queen Katrinabgood, I'll enjoy doing virtual tai chi with you. We'll have a small group together. Let's do a set (flawlessly) on the beach at sunset this evening, K? I'm going to make more effort to get to as many classes as poss, because it really does make my life better. It makes me feel like I'm harmonizing myself with the world, in all its greatness and terriibleness.

Queen Upandaway, congratulations on getting around the block! The weight WILL come off. Persistence is key, and changing our habits is what will make it work!

Treat yourselves like royalty today, Blockettes! Remember you're regal, and behave accordingly!

xo
Queen Arabella, Royal Nymph :)
1/208 (-7)/2

upandaway
07-09-2002, 09:32 AM
Good morning Royal Blockettes. Thanks to all for the kind encouraging words. I am keeping my chin up (both of them in fact :dizzy: ) Yesterday I managed to drag myself onto the bike a few times despite the cramps and today I sweated awhile with Richard and then rode some more. I really like doing it this way much better. I feel like I've done my activity and gotten it out of the way for the day. If I feel like an extra session later then I can jump on the bike but I don't feel the 'have to' of it hanging over me.

Queen Punkin CONGRATULATIONS ON THE SMALLER PANTS!! :D :D
Happy dance for you! We know just how awesome that feeling is!

Queen Arabella it doesn't sound as though you fell too far from the wagon. Nibbling while preparing dinner is a major downfall of mine. And I never how to count the "blt" points afterward. I too hope to get to the beach sometime soon, if I can ever get my DH, DS and DD well and agreeable at the same time. Then again, I may never see the beach again!!

Queen Jeylnn, I too have to be very careful of having my diet soda in the house, even the caffiene free. I try to have at least half my water for the day before I let myself have a can of diet coke.

Queen Amarantha congratulations on choosing the Slimfast over dulce de leche. If you close your eyes and concentrate, can you imagine it tastes nearly as good? No? Well, good going anyway!!
I've tried Slimfast drinks but they make me have cravings that send me out of control. I love the chocolate and the pineapple, but 3 hrs after drinking one I'm in the kitchen shoveling down anything I can get my hands on.

Happy Tuesday to the rest of our Royal entourage. Stay cool and stay strong.
upandaway
2/4/2

Cindelier
07-09-2002, 10:43 AM
All hail the royal court!!

Sorry if I fell off the earth when we became royalty. I have a shirt that says "Queen of the Universe Contains class and attitude not comprehended by mere mortals." Does that count? I've been called a royal pain in the uh..backside. Especially for making jokes at the most inappropriate times (sex isn't supposed to be funny??).

Well the hubby and I went off program this 4th of July weekend-but returned on Monday (day one again) and I'm down another pound-which is nice. Our friend brought us this wonderful banana-nut bread his grandmother made- and the fourth of July wouldn't be good with out pizza and hot dogs. Oh well.

There are so many posts it is hard to know where to start, I hope everyone is well and promise to check in daily.

It's been over 100 degrees here in Kansas for the past few days. We took our guest everywhere, comedy clubs, movies (saw Men in Black II - Twice and Scooby Doo - Once), all the great malls, indoor minature golf (with no lights and glow-in-dark clubs and balls), and Worlds of Fun (our local theme park). It was over a hundred degrees outside and waiting for the roller coasters was ****. It's been a while since I've been to an amusement park because my size makes the rides uncomfortable-but this time there was only one ride I couldn't even ride because they couldn't put the bar down across my lap (still cried-since that never happened before). Feeling a little down about that.

Hugs to my new friends. Thanks for being there when it seems like no one else is. Promise to check in more often.

katrinabgood
07-09-2002, 02:05 PM
Day one again...

I think that having no one here leaves me with too much time on my hands and no one there to monitor my trips to the pantry. Not that they monitor me, but I feel that they are, so I'm better. Gotta get out of this house! Don't get me wrong, there's plenty that I could be doing...I just don't have the parameters of, "Ok, I'll do this before I drop her off, and that before I pick him up! It would help if I got my rear AWAY from the computer! So this will be a quickie!

Re Slimfast shakes and your cravings after consuming one, upandaway...that is because they contain as much sugar as a can of Coke! Eating sugar just makes our bodies crave more and more and more! Shame on SlimFast for touting that as a "diet drink!"

Cindelier, it sounds like you have sure been keeping busy, despite the heat! That "glow in the dark" miniature golf sounds like fun...and air conditioned! Ahhhh...

Babette...I'm sorry to say I never made it to the gym last night...I'm hoping to get to tomorrow's 6pm Tai Chi class. Tonight, I'm stepping. Maybe a swim afterwards. Got to move this bod!

Amarantha...I'm definitely interested in food/exercise journaling. Reporting my efforts on line should keep me in line...or something like that!

To all the other queens, princesses, goddesses, etc...I bow to you and to all of us for our continuing efforts...I must go manage the royal household. Servants appear to have abandoned me...just can't get good help these days!

adios...

deleted2
07-09-2002, 06:20 PM
May I just whine for awhile? Wahhhh......!

My day 1 was completely shot to **** yesterday because I was in a minor car accident. I'm absolutely fine and miraculously little damage to the vehicles too. Our cars met in a blind curve and our mirrors just 'kissed' and mine broke off and shattered my window--it all happened so fast that neither of us spun out or anything--that would've been bad. Anyway, friends, the 'punchline' to this story is the other car was one of the local sherrif's dept's fleet and driven by a very charming young deputy. He couldn't report it himself so 2 more officers appeared on the scene and they all agreed that neither of us was at fault, just one of those things and I didn't get a ticket! Hooray! Still, one feels a little sheepish after colliding with a cop car under any circumstances! I'm able to drive home and the whole thing didn't hit me until my husband got home, then I had a good cry on his shoulder.
And I've been playing the game of 'what could I have done differently?' and I keep having the nagging feeling that "if I were a better driver", etc. Unfortunately I have that kind of personality that is all to happy to accept blame. Gotta shake this off and get back to my life---and stop eating ice cream to comfort myself! It's over and I was even able to get my window replaced today--now I just need a mirror and the car's good as new. As is always said, 'it could've been worse!'

Sorry to not respond to everyones posts personally--I still feel like I've been beaten with a stick and just want to sleep. Last night I just replayed it over and over. I'm determined to wake up in the morning ready to get back to my joyful life! :D

Any new ideas for the food/exercise thread? I'm up for it!

Thanks for listening, queens and goddesses!:)

Kaylets
07-09-2002, 07:22 PM
Zippy doo da- Zippy aye a!! My oh my what a wonderful day! Plenty of sunshine coming my way! Zippy doo dah, Zippy aye a!!

:cool:

My apologies for being off key-- I remember one time when I was a kid, really belting some song out. And my dad told me to stop singing. I told him I couldn't stop, that I had to practice because I was going to be a famous singer. And he said "Oh no you're not!!""

Hee hee:lol:

As long as it sounds good in your head, right??

so far, just under the fall off the wagon range but have been a pack of Winterfresh gum chewed all at once is at least got my mouth so full nothing else can fit!!!! ( not a kodak moment!)

I know, you have all been waiting for the answer to the question put to me about weighing myself -- Do I weigh with the crown on ??
Well, what do you think?? Isnt that the royal thing to do?? Don't you?? And don't think I have forgotten the white gloves and the empty pocketbook too. ( Now we know why royalty isnt allowed to carry money -it weighs too much!!:lol: )

But that's only when I'm weighing in as the Queen. When I'm weighing as the WoodNymph, well, you can fill in the blanks yourself I'm sure.

OK-- enough kidding around-- I think its time for a survey--

Try to answer the best you know how, the press may get ahold of this so keep your answers clean--(we must remember our royal subjects)

Which episode of I Love Lucy can you still sit down and watch??

Which song from your teenage years STILL makes you tap your foot and hum when you hear it??

Which age span could you have done without? (for example- 20-25) ?

How many sizes of your clothes do you still own? Yes, even the stuff that you couldnt wear even if it was the right size because it is sooooooo out of style??

Do you really drink all the water you say you do?

This isnt a survey question -- Did you see the post on another board about swimming and water weight gain? They were actually discussing if swimming before you weigh yourself was a bad idea -- could there be water bloat -- ?? I realize they were just kidding around but the picture that came to mind had me rolling. Can you imagine, if the longer you stayed in water the bigger you got?

katrinabgood
07-09-2002, 07:51 PM
I can watch ANY lucy episode, but my favorite was the one at the candy factory...go figure!

Which song from your teenage years STILL makes you tap your foot and hum when you hear it??
Hum, nothing...I still belt out Maggie May by Rod Stewart, every time I hear it! Or...anything by the Beatles...or the Stones...

How old are you in sixth grade? 11? I hated that year, I was the fattest I ever was as a child...til Mom took me to Lean Line...oh yeah, I've been battling this a L*O*N*G time.

How many sizes of your clothes do you still own? Yes, even the stuff that you couldnt wear even if it was the right size because it is sooooooo out of style??
I have a pair of size 13 Sasson baggy jeans hanging in the back of my closet since Disco days! I could actually wear size 11 back then, the Sassons ran small...I swear! Ooh lala! Other sizes run from L to 2XL...14/16 to *sigh* 22/24.

I really do...I don't drink soda...I only drink water or milk with my meals...and an occasional beer. ;)

That was fun...who's next??

katrinabgood
07-09-2002, 07:52 PM
I think that thing about swimming only applies if you're Sponge Bob!

Wildfire
07-09-2002, 08:08 PM
Day two completed, but my scale shows me up one pound. :( That ribbon might have to wait until next week after all.

Just checking in to let you all know I'm still alive.

Eydie, thank the gods you were not hurt! Don't beat yourself up...he could be just as much at fault if it was a blind curve!

On to the survey:

Would you believe I've NEVER seen an episode? Have seen clips, like the famous grape stomping one, but never watched the show.

"Everybody Wants to Rule the World" by Tears for Fears. Still love them!

16-19

I probably have one size larger and one size smaller in my closet. But, I'm in the process of cleaning it out...and it's all going! How can I justify buying a new wardrobe if I have one already?

Yeppers! I only drink water and hot tea. Gave up the diet coke months ago, and don't miss it at all!

Hope you are all well, and I'll check in tomorrow night after the dreaded weigh in. At least I'm expecting a gain, so I'll either be surprised or not disappointed if it is a gain.

Kaylets
07-09-2002, 08:56 PM
Queen Eydie--

I don't know how I missed your post-

What an experience!! You are lucky you have a good DH to lean on when you need to lean!!

Such a shock when these things happen-- It is amazing how it turns everything upside down.

I'm glad you're ok -- no wonder you needed sleep- You probably were running on adrenalin for hours!!

Take care!

Amarantha2
07-10-2002, 02:05 AM
I know I keep doing this, but I need to stop posting for awhile. Reasons complex and boring. Hope everyone keeps up with this upbeat and exciting challenge and reaches their goals.

Eydie: I am so sorry you had to go through that accident. At least you've reached the point of realizing that as long as no one was hurt, you've dodged the bullet and can put it behind you. Still it's very shocking to the body.

Re Slimfast, I think it does give some people a kind of uncomfortable rush. However, I continue to like it and don't find it as unhealthful as a candy bar. It at least gets some vitamins and fiber in my body. :)

Hmmm, a survey!

All of them; I think they're funny but a sad commentary on the status of women in the world.

Dating self ... "Hey, Jude" (Don't make it bad, take a sad song and make it better ...)

None of them; they were all glorious!

How many sizes of your clothes do you still own? Yes, even the stuff that you couldn't wear even if it was the right size because it is sooooooo out of style??

Three sizes. That's where I draw the line!

I don't say I drink water ... but in Arizona, it's a given anyway! :)

Best of luck to you, Royal Ladies!

deleted2
07-10-2002, 06:24 AM
Oooh, I love surveys!:D

1. I find that any of the old 'I love Lucy' shows a bit hard to take anymore. That boys vs. girls theme is kind of tiresome, but I love Fred Mertz. Could he hitch those pants up any higher?

2. 'Super Freak' by Rick James always gets me going! And so much from the 80's too.

3. I hated my high school years---never found my niche there.

4. All my clothes fit me now. [I'm not averse to buying a whole new wardrobe in a smaller size if need be tho!] When I was very overweight I went thru this period of resignation that I'd always be fat and thru out all my really small clothes and that was very liberating at the time. Then when I started losing weight I got rid of all my huge tops and leggings--that used to be my 'uniform'.

5. I really do drink alot of water. Religiously 8 glasses a day but I'd like to chug more.

Arabella
07-10-2002, 09:33 AM
Still plugging along, despite last week's nasty gain. Surely to god the weight will come off if I keep at it. Won't it? I did have another episode of standing eating in the kitchen yesterday, so I'm going to start over again. Like the other time, I didn't do any damage to my diet, because my points were well under, but I can't just let myself do that because sooner or later I would definitely get into trouble. I've been binge-free for months now, but I know what behaviors could set me back, and I'm determined to change them. Really, the 2 recent episodes (standing eating in the kitchen) were aberrations, but if I let it go, I'm sure they wouldn't remain so.

Eydie: So sorry you were in an accident! These things really bring home the precarious nature of life, don't they. I'm so happy that you weren't injured, though, and that you have such a sweet and supportive husband.

Amarantha, if you need to quit posting for a while, we will just have to muddle on without you until you can come back. Feel free to change your mind though! I'll be sending you good thoughts, and hope you're healthy and happy while you're gone.

Wildfire, good luck with WI. Damn scales! :( And yet I know I have to continue to weigh myself, or I would end up gaining rather than losing. I put on 60 pounds without realizing it (HOW? :eek: ) the last time I stopped weighing, so I'll never do that again!

Katrina, I think I know just how Spongebob feels. You would almost think that the character would be female, huh, with all that water retention. I have got to find this little guy, though. My grandson will be old enough for him before too long and he sounds like a life-enhancer! I still fondly remember Barbapapa from when my son was little.

Kaylets, I can relate to your unappreciative audience. When I was happily warbling away (as I was wont to do), my dad used to say "If you're singing for me, you can stop anytime." I still love to sing though, and intend to take it up again!

upandaway, I like your suggestion to close your eyes and imagine something tastes better. I actually sometimes pretend that what I'm eating is something vaguely similar and yet much yummier, say for example, that a bran muffin is chocolate cake.

Cindilier, sex isn't supposed to be funny?!! Hmmm... must start pretending DH is Richard Gere, rather than Pee Wee Herman (from his Big Adventure era, natch).

Ok, now I really am going to do some work this morning. Love to all!

xo
babette
1/208 (-7)/2

upandaway
07-10-2002, 09:45 AM
Good Wednesday Royal ladies. Queen Amarantha you don't sound your usual self today, I hope every thing is okay. I'm just nosy enough to never find anything boring, and we're here for you in more ways than weight control, so don't be a stranger, huh?

Re Slimfast, yes it does indeed give me a rush, and a sneak attack about 4 hours later. I found the same thing with bananas, oddly enough. I can eat practically any other fruit and have no side effects, but bananas send me into a craving spiral that has no place to go but down. Those SF snack bars however, are a blessing. Only 2 points and 'tastes just like candy!' ( in Lucy's best half drunk voice, from the Veeta Vita Vegimin commercial she did, what a hoot!)

And the SURVEY SAYS... Hmm My favorite I Love Lucy is the one with Tennessee Ernie Ford when Lucy and Ricky are trying to trick him into leaving. Lucy pretends they're suddenly dirt poor and out of food and she's sitting at the table nibbling on a crust of bread and picking up the crumbs on her fingers... and Cousin Ernie says "Somebody's been actin' the hog around here" Maybe because this reminds me of not-nearly-distant-enough relatives that I find it so hilarious.

I still listen to the music of my youth, oldies stations and 'classic rock', so it all has my toes a tappin.

If I could skip a few years, let's see, from about 11 until 19, right after my breasts took over my life until I was old enough to be able to deal with them and guys reactions to them. High school was an agony of jokes and jeers.

I currently have in my closet size 10's, 12's and couple of 14's left over from when I was on my way down before. Most of the 12's fit, not well, but sort of, the 10's, no way. That's my goal, to get back into my 10's by the time school starts so I don't have to buy new clothes for work.

And yes I really do drink all my water, and then some. I also enjoy Crystal Lite and caffiene free diet coke as a reward after I've gotten at least half my water in for the day. Mind games, but hey, it works.

Eydie, so glad you are okay, physically. I too feel the need to take responsibility for everything that happens in the universe, so I can well imagine your sleepless night. Bet the deputy just shrugged and said "How about that?" Men can do that, can't they.

Wishing all the royalty here a wonderful day on the block. Keep smiling!
upandaway
3/4/2

ElaineR.
07-10-2002, 10:12 AM
Hi,

Day 14 for me. When I began this 21 day plan.. my goal was to balance out my eating and to stop compulsively eating.. and I am proud to say I have not compulsively eaten at all in the past 14 days. The first week wasn't really hard from a craving standpoint.. but I felt very confused!

Now, I feel like I have gotten use to NOT compulsively eating. Last night I came home from work and began cleaning my apartment, making some notes for myself, exercising, practicing my fiddle.. and I realized something... I haven't been productive in an evening like that in YEARS. My routine forever was to come home, turn on the TV, flop on the bed, and EAT. I always felt overwhelmed that I didn't have time to clean, didn't have time to shop, didn't have time to do laundry, didn't have time to write, didn't have time to practice, didn't have time to pay bills, didn't have time to clean that closet... etc.. etc.. etc... well... it is amazing how much time you loose when you spend four hours a night eating in front of the TV. And, it is amazing how much you can get done in four hours when you DON'T binge in front fo the TV. My TV hasn't even been on since Sunday.

Now, I have to share a little secret I discovered.. I feel like it is only fair! Have any of you ever tried Self-Hypnosis? About ten years ago, a friend of mine went to hypnosis training and became certified. She taught me then how to do it to yourself... I never really did anything with it, but I always remembered the technique. When I made the commitment to the 21 day challenge, one of the things that struck me was how automatic my repsonses to food had become.. and I thought... I wonder if I can use self-hypnosis to re-wire my brain? So, each day, I take about 10 minutes to re-program how I feel about food and eating.. and guess what.. I can see the impact in the choices I make. Yesterday I turned away from potato chips because the thought came into my head "potato chips make me feel so bloated"... it hit me later.. that is exactly one of the self-suggestions I give to myself! I am really thrilled with the results.

I have only lost a pound in the past 14 days.. but hey.. you know... that is better than gaining.. and more importantly, my weight is stable.. before the 21 day challenge .. it just kept zooming up and down.. the same 5 pounds. I know if I keep this up, I will start to lose.

After this 21 days.. I want to start making more specific food goals.. like to eat more fruit, to drink more water, to eat more veggies, etc.

Later,
Elaine

215/209/120

Punkinseed
07-10-2002, 11:10 AM
Hello everyone :wave:

I forgot to mention in my last post that I had my first 'binge-free Monday' this week! :spin: I can honestly say it's thanks to this group. I had you all in mind while I made my BocaBurger and pressed the oil outta my oven baked fries with a paper towel (vs. the Burger King fiasco I normally have). It was nice going to bed Monday night not feeling sick!

Also... the Dr.'s office called Monday. They called my HOME. I don't blame them, I wouldn't have wanted to talk to me either. I specifically said in the message I left for them to call me at work on Monday, even left the phone number... They left a message at home, apologizing profusely, saying the decision to close on Friday was last minute and they thought they'd called everyone to reschedule. Uh, nope, missed one! I still need to call and reschedule...

Ok, the questions du'jour:

~The one where Lucy and Ethel jump in the barrell of grapes and smash 'em with their feet

~I Want Her by Keith Sweat... reminds me of a guy I had a HUGE crush on

~6-14 - the span where my parents divorced, I went through puberty and walked into more walls than I care to remember.

~I gave away my old stuff. I have about 3 sizes now, all quite wearable if my body fat would just cooperate

~Absolutely. I have yummy well water!

Messages to the court:

HRH Eydie - I'm SO glad you're ok! Now, let me absolve you of some guilt here... I was married to a sheriff deputy for over 6 years. If they let you off with nothing, you can bet'cher back end that the deputy was at fault (or at least moreso than you). I'm also guessing that he had some serious "dressing down" done at work too - you can't so much as ding the door of a patrol car without having to fill out 20 forms and give a deposition.
I'm waving the wand of absolution over you.... there.... you should feel better. ;)

HRH Amarantha - Yes, your post did sound "odd". Hope all is well and you're just taking a well deserved sabbatical. Come back soon before the jesters take over! :joker:

HRH Wildfire - I will keep my fingers crossed for you on your weigh in. Hopefully the extra pound you saw was an apparition and will disappear into the weight loss Burmuda Triangle...

HRH Elaine - Congratulations on the 14 day streak! :cool:
As for the self hypnosis, I've thought of it and have been meaning to start meditating again to see if that gives me some grounding. I always feel so disconnected to myself when I eat like there's no tomarrow and thought it might help, thanks for letting me know it does!

I curtsy to the rest of you... have a wonderful day and if you're having a day like we are here in Oregon - Stay Cool!!

Terri
day 1/1.5 pounds/block 1

Cindelier
07-10-2002, 11:16 AM
I am honored to be in the royal prescence, again on day three of my journey.

Eydie-I'm so sorry to hear about your accident. Remember before you are too hard on yourself-there is a reason they are called "accidents."

Elaine: I agree, self-hypnosis is great for getting to the roots of the weight problem. It helps with the esteem issues. I've used it to rewrite the negative track in my head. :devil:

Kaylets quiz:

1. Lucy-never really watched the show. I'm more of a sci-fi person myself.

2. Songs. Almost anything from the 80's. I have a new workout CD that has "The Warrior" by Scandal (and Patti Smyth) that I love, there is a line near the end that exclaims "Victory is mine!" which gives me a boost. I guess I fall for one hit wonders.

3. Clothes. We got rid of a lot when we moved, but I still have a few favorites even old prom dresses and a wonder 40's evening gown a friend made for me. Hopefully I can whip that one out this Christmas for our Murder Mystery party!

4. Water-about 8 to 12 glasses a day. I was a Dr. Pepper freak then I switched to Diet Coke, now water. Most sodas are too sweet to me now. If I go off program the ladies at slim for life ask me to drink 12 glasses of water for three days (at least I know the weight I've lost isn't water weight).

That's about it for now, got to get packing and into storage. We're moving in September. Last note-I'm down 3 pounds!:D

Have a great day ladies.

Empress White Thunder (per the Ya-Yas)

Punkinseed
07-10-2002, 11:24 AM
"We have engaged the Borg. Wedding 6:00. Reception 8:30"

Cindelier I just noticed this! Oooh, it's hysterical!!!! :lol:

Congrats on the impressive loss!

Terri

ElaineR.
07-10-2002, 11:34 AM
Teri,

Congrats on the binge free Monday. That is a big step! I have had alot of stops and starts over the past year... but something really clicked with me this time. I don't want to live that way anymore, and this group, and doing this 21 day commitment has really helped me.

Best,
Elaine

katrinabgood
07-10-2002, 03:33 PM
Day nothing for me...need to get myself together and back on track...I think with the kids gone, I'm all twixt and between...not sure which way to turn...sad commentary on MY life! or lack thereof. Jumping into the shower after I'm done here should clear away a few cobwebs and I can focus on what needs to be done. So, a tentative day 1 for tomorrow is scheduled.

Elaine...your post really struck a chord with me...when I'm in "full diet mode," I get so much more done around here...because I'm not focusing on food and vegging in front of the TV. Thanks for the tip about self hypnosis. I plan on writing down some things I'd like to change and making that my mantra! Keep up the great work!

Cindelier...congrats on the 3 lb loss! Keep up the good work...Resistance is futile.

punkinseed...Binge free Monday, huh? You go girl...I like Boca burgers too...one of the few things I know the family won't steal...

upandaway...I had to laugh at the "not nearly distant enough relatives" comment... I have them too!! Don't we all?

babette...I admire your determination to keep starting over til you eradicate ALL bad habits...even though you have the eating down...Good for you, I know you will be successful. BTW, you can find SpongeBob Squarepants on Nickelodeon...several times a day! PS...what's barbapapa??

Eydie...so glad you are OK...isn't it AMAZING, the recuperative, restorative powers of ice cream? Just as long as you don't abuse it, like any other drug, it can be quite beneficial!

Kaylets...keep right on singing, girl...we don't care if you're off key...WE CAN'T HEAR YOU! I'll bet you sing real well with that pack of gum in your mouth!

Ok...I can't scroll back anymore, (to make sure I got everyone) I know I'm missing quite a few...just know that each and every one of you are an important part of this great, funny and lively thread...

Keep on posting!

And Amarantha...Please don't stay away too long...your wit and wisdom will surely be missed!

Wildfire
07-10-2002, 10:30 PM
Sorry, just a drive-by posting, as my eyes are almost too blurry to read the screen right now. I promise I'll catch up soon!

Thanks for the encouragement re: weigh in. No damage done, but no victory either. Stayed right at 179 this week, which I'll gladly take considering the week I had!

Our leader did a cooking demo tonight, appetizer, pasta, dessert...and I bought the Simply the Best cookbook....wow, those recipes look fabulous! I'll share as I experiment, if anyone would be interested in some new recipes to try. Points per serving is given, as well all the calorie/fat/protein/blah/blah/blah.

Anyhoo...good night sweet maidens...till next we meet. :wave:

jelynn
07-10-2002, 11:30 PM
A "quick reply" from me tonight-- I've been on the run all day, but didn't want to go another day without posting. I'm finishing up day 3 by a hair. I tried "cheezies" for the first time tonight and why-o-why??? I've been having "just a couple more" for the few hours since dinner...time to hide them or have DH finish the bag! :lol: But all in all I consider the day a success. I got to the gym and rode the bike and did the elliptical machine for 35 minutes and did some strength training- legs today. Felt great. I'm also proud to report that I've only had 32 oz of diet cola in the past 3 days!!! (a 12 oz can yesterday and 20 oz diet pepsi twist tonight) Considering I was 44+ oz most days and 0 water I'm doign great.

I'll get some individual responses done one of these days...but wanted to let Amarantha (the Queen!) that we're here for you and hope you decide on just a short hiatus! We'll miss you.

Have a great night-- gearing up for 100 degrees tomorrow. Hoping for no appetite to offset all these cheezies!
:wave:

Yoyo Mom
07-11-2002, 06:33 AM
Hey, folks,

I know I've been quiet, but I've just slipped around the block! Not at my lowpoint, but still down 4.5 pounds since the start! Yippee!

I know that is too much for me to sustain, since I just got started dieting. In general, I will be lucky to manage half that.

Last block:
Take supplements
Salad with dinner

This block:
Take supplements
Salad with dinner
At least 64 oz water a day
Brush & floss after dinner (no more calories afterward)

Survey Responses:

I'll pass on Lucy.

One of my favorite "oldies" (ugh!): Suzie Q

Age span to do without: middle school years, and maybe elementary to boot (kids are so mean to overweight peers).

Clothing sizes: I probably have about 10 sizes packed away!

Water: Haven't posted water numbers, but I'm about to start!

-Deborah
21/4.5/1

Arabella
07-11-2002, 08:21 AM
This is the end, My beautiful friends. Moving on to #5.