Weight Loss Support - Favourite Diet Snack

View Full Version : Favourite Diet Snack

Duchesssammi
08-04-2009, 03:30 AM
What are some good diet snacks?
My Favourite are Banana's with Whipped cream!!! YUMMMMMMYYYYYYY

georgiad
08-04-2009, 06:31 AM
I love love LOVE the Weightwatchers Rich Toffee Bars that I can buy from my meetings. They are t3h yum!

JayEll
08-04-2009, 06:35 AM
My Favourite are Banana's with Whipped cream!!! YUMMMMMMYYYYYYY
I'm sure this is yummy, but how exactly does it fit in a diet plan? Do you count the calories, or...?

I enjoy the South Beach Living high protein bars as a snack from time to time.

Jay

Ruthxxx
08-04-2009, 06:55 AM
Hummus and celery sticks

Pita09
08-04-2009, 07:12 AM
Fiber One vanilla yogurt with a 1/2 oz of chopped walnuts

Kashi granola bars

Low fat Triscuits with Laughing Cow cheese

AbbySinthe
08-04-2009, 07:17 AM
Savory - Celery w/Cashew Butter or Celery w/olives & cream cheese.
Sweet - Kelloggs or Fiber One Chocolate bars (only 120 cals)
I'm a calorie counter & can usually squeeze these in.

cottagebythesea
08-04-2009, 07:26 AM
summer - fresh fruit in season
winter - gala or honey crisp apple slices w/ natural peanut butter

LuvMyPets
08-04-2009, 07:32 AM
I love the Fudgebars wth no sugar added! They are so yummy and a total of 40 calories each. It really satisfies that chocolate craving.

rockinrobin
08-04-2009, 07:41 AM
This is an at home snack, it's my new favorite:

I brown shredded zucchini, fresh mushrooms and onions in a little cooking spray. Into a non-stick skillet I put in 2 egg whites, then some of the veggie mixture, salt and pepper and cook it up. DELISH! I make enough of the veggie mixture to last all week.

I am also LOVING the fresh summer fruit. I try to keep that just to the weekends though. I tend to over do it. Those cherries have been FABULOUS as of late.

Then there's:

-Danon light and fit yogurt with 1/4 cup Fiber One Cereal (I partially freeze the yogurt - lasts longer and tastes great)

-Cooked cabbage, onions, bean sprouts, water chestnuts, shredded carrots, green peas - with a little soy sauce.

-Cucumber Salad

-Veggie platter - celery, baby carrots, grape tomatoes, celery - with some Mango Peach Salsa

gillyhicks115
08-04-2009, 07:45 AM
rockinrobin-
your veggie mix sounds delish! how do you shred the zuchini?

rockinrobin
08-04-2009, 07:49 AM
rockinrobin-
your veggie mix sounds delish! how do you shred the zuchini?

I use a hand grater. Takes no time at all. I should mention that I squeeze out the liquid from it, when I'm done shredding it.

Sometimes I'll use spinach instead of the zucchini, but right now - I'm on a major zucchini kick.

quince
08-04-2009, 07:57 AM
when i crave sweets, i dice some fruit (blueberries, nectarines, whatever i have at home) and add some low-fat cottage cheese. and pretend it is ice-cream. ;)
otherwise, i eat a wasa cracker and have a tiny bit of cheese or meat with it, just to feel fuller.

@rockinrobin - love the zucchini idea too! :)

seagirl
08-04-2009, 08:06 AM
right now one of my favorites is farm fresh cucumbers with salt. yum!
or cold hard boiled eggs with salt. or sliced avocado with salt and pepper.

the theme is cold + salt. yum.

Ija
08-04-2009, 08:47 AM
My favorite snack is, and will always be, a whole wheat tortilla smeared with peanut or almond butter (cashew works, too), wrapped around an overripe banana. Frozen bananas dipped in dark chocolate are pretty darn good too, and even frozen bananas whipped up with some chocolate whey in the food processor. Needless to say I love my bananas ;)

MissBliss
08-04-2009, 10:17 AM
My favorite snack is, and will always be, a whole wheat tortilla smeared with peanut or almond butter (cashew works, too), wrapped around an overripe banana. Frozen bananas dipped in dark chocolate are pretty darn good too, and even frozen bananas whipped up with some chocolate whey in the food processor. Needless to say I love my bananas ;)

I miss bananas! I am on a sugar restricted diet and bananas are forbidden! WAH!!!!!!:tantrum:

I would have to say that sugar free chocolate pudding is my treat.

bargoo
08-04-2009, 11:04 AM
Laughing Cow Light Cheese with Wasa Crackers.

KDuffer
08-04-2009, 11:24 AM
I love to snack on dry roasted unsalted almonds. They are relatively high in calories so I have to watch how many I eat, but they have the right crunch and flavor to hold me over in the afternoon.

whitneyallison
08-04-2009, 01:01 PM
My favorite snack is the quaker mini rice cakes in the cheesy flavor, they keep me out of the cheetos.

girlonfire
08-04-2009, 01:12 PM
Lots of things! Banana/apple with.5 tbsp peanut butter, ants on a log(!), Greek yogurt with a touch of honey and some almonds, fresh fruit, Ak-Mak crackers with some melted soy cheese, celery and soy cheese, popcorn, etc. I die without my afternoon snack.

Of course, I don't eat too much cheese because I am pretty lactose intolerant and soy cheese has fewer cals, fat, so eating so much cheese might not work for those who eat normal cheese.

nelie
08-04-2009, 01:12 PM
My favorite snack really is just fruit. I love fruit :)

I also bought some popcorn the other day and plan to use it for a snack. I like popcorn quite a bit.

EveLHaelf
08-04-2009, 01:13 PM
These are great ideas ladies! Keep em' coming, I need major help in the healthy snack category! :^:

Moonlight Mistress
08-04-2009, 01:16 PM
Frozen Grapes. I swear they are like candy to me!

Heather
08-04-2009, 01:23 PM
I love frozen grapes, too! and apple w/peanut butter

I like a babybel wedge on a couple of crackers
blueberries in yogurt with some kashi go lean crunch
pre-portioned bags of almonds (or pecans) and dried cranberries

I just love eating cherry tomatoes right out of the yard!

ruby2sday
08-04-2009, 01:27 PM
So many great ideas ladies ! I was needing some fresh ideas for snacks too.

One thing I do is take some low fat cottage cheese and mix in a bit of brown sugar sweetener, some vanilla extract, and some cinnamon.

mandalinn82
08-04-2009, 01:29 PM
Airpopped popcorn with salt, or with a variety of seasonings.
Frozen seedless grapes

rockinrobin
08-04-2009, 01:38 PM
My favorite snack is the quaker mini rice cakes in the cheesy flavor, they keep me out of the cheetos.

Now you see, for me those don't work. I may as well being eating Cheetos. It gives me that same need to shovel one right after the other down my throat feeling. Too easy to overeat. Zero filling power. I bought the caramel ones a couple of times. Both times I ate the whole bag in a very short period of time. I just don't do carbs moderately. Not happening.

I also love the frozen grapes. Oh and frozen banana slices. LOVE them.

jamiewyn
08-04-2009, 01:47 PM
I just discovered the 20 calorie creamcicles, so they are my new after-dinner snack.

Favorite afternoon snack is a tbsp of peanut butter on whole grain toast. It feels like I'm cheating (I adore P.B.).

Lori Bell
08-04-2009, 02:05 PM
Sometimes I'll use spinach instead of the zucchini, but right now - I'm on a major zucchini kick.

OMG, I wish you lived next door...LOL I just came in from the garden and picked ANOTHER 1/2 bushel basket of zucchini! (and yellow summer squash) :D I have never had so many zucchini in my life! I have taken baskets to church, friends and family. I pick them really small so that I have room to store them. I planted several extra seeds this year because I was so tired of paying absorbent prices over the winter for something so easy to grow...WOW, you really do reap what you sow. LOL

I love to take some olive oil and garlic in a large skillet and saute a few each of thinly sliced onions, zucchini, yellow summer squash, and tomatoes. I add loads of chopped fresh basil and salt and pepper to taste. A big bowl is hardly any calories, (only from the olive oil basically), and I sprinkle a teaspoon or 2 of parmesan cheese on top. Awesome, filling, healthy, delicious treat.

rockinrobin
08-04-2009, 02:12 PM
OMG, I wish you lived next door...LOL I just came in from the garden and picked ANOTHER 1/2 bushel basket of zucchini! (and yellow summer squash) :D I have never had so many zucchini in my life! I have taken baskets to church, friends and family. I pick them really small so that I have room to store them. I planted several extra seeds this year because I was so tired of paying absorbent prices over the winter for something so easy to grow...WOW, you really do reap what you sow. LOL

I love to take some olive oil and garlic in a large skillet and saute a few each of onions, zucchini, yellow summer squash, and tomatoes. I add loads of chopped fresh basil and salt and pepper to taste. A big bowl is hardly any calories, (only from the olive oil basically), and I sprinkle a teaspoon or 2 of parmesan cheese on top. Awesome, filling, healthy, delicious treat.

I wish I lived next door to you too!!! That would be way cool on many levels...

How could I have forgotten another great zucchini snack of mine? I slice them fairly thick, along with sliced tomatoes Lay em' out on a roasting tray and broil for a few minutes on each side. Season with a little onion, garlic and oregano and sprinkle the Parmesean cheese on there. Super good.

I do the saute' thing also. My snacks need to provide me with filling power and nothing fills the bill like veggies. :D

paisleyprincess
08-04-2009, 02:33 PM
Nutrigrain bar
Fiber One bar
Special K bar
Bowl Special K cereal
Banana
Banana w/PB
Cottage Cheese lowfat plain
Instant oatmeal

judipurple
08-04-2009, 02:36 PM
Ooooooo - zukes!!! DH won't let me grow them in our garden (even one plant tends to overload us) - the only way he'll eat them (and only maybe twice a year) is if I grill thick slices (after tossing in olive oil & crushed garlic, s&p)...the only other way he likes them is if I stuff them with tons of sausage/cheese....kinda defeats the purpose of healthy... Sigh...

And this is a guy who would normally eat anything as long as there's garlic on it...!!!

JoJoP
08-04-2009, 02:42 PM
1/4 cup of whole-grain cereal, a few bites of sauteed veggies, or a handful of raw veggies :)

Shannon in ATL
08-04-2009, 03:08 PM
LoriBell - My grandfather has been drowning in summer squash & zucchini this year, too! I had to learn several ideas for cooking it earlier this season, love it! I do the same thing you do with the tomato, onion, squash, zucchini... yummy... I have to plant some myself next year, can it grow in a container or would I need an actual garden plot? Hmm...

On the diet snack question, I just tried the light laughing cow swiss with sliced up apple today and it was fabulous! I have had the regular swiss before, and this tasted no different for less calories!

Saffytaffy
08-04-2009, 03:12 PM
Fresh fruit that are in season like peaches....or plain rice cakes!!

Saffytaffy
08-04-2009, 03:13 PM
Oh and 1 cup of blueberrys with 1/2 c plain yogurt....frozen and eaten with a spoon....YUMMY!

Lori Bell
08-04-2009, 05:19 PM
.. I have to plant some myself next year, can it grow in a container or would I need an actual garden plot? Hmm...

I've never tried to grow them in a container, but I don't see why it wouldn't work...as long as it is a pretty big pot. My sis-in-law grows a few plants in her flower garden in Dallas. If you have a hunk of dirt...grow a zucchini seed. :D

Fresh fruit that are in season like peaches....or plain rice cakes!!

Ahhh peaches! My favorite fruit. When we were in MO last week we drove out to the country near Lexington to a peach orchard we went to a lot when I was a kid. We bought a bushel of fresh picked peaches. They are giant and so sweet and juicy! Our boys can't stop eating them. They are to die for, and one of the lower calorie fruits to boot. Seriously, nothing beats a Missouri peach!

kuhrisuh
08-04-2009, 05:54 PM
Yesterday I found this trail mix-type snack on Woman's World or whatever the magazine is called..

1/2 cup air popped popcorn
1/3 cup whole-grain cereal
2 tbs. slivered almonds
1 tsp. semisweet chocolate chips (i'd probably even do dark chocolate)

mmmmm :hungry:

Duchesssammi
08-04-2009, 07:56 PM
I count Calories and will limit myself to 2 bananas a day and the whipped cream only has 5 calories per serving. A banana has 140 calories per banana.
I also don't eat any other Carbs so I get what little Carbs from the bananas.

Justwant2Bhealthy
08-04-2009, 08:50 PM
DUCHESSAMMI ~ a small banana is only about 100 C's and I love to put a tbl of lite sour cream (1% or 5%) on top with cinnamon or maple extract & 1 tsp honey or maple syrup. You can mix it together and it is delish; the same goes for combining it with nosugar apple sauce, and peaches would be great too.

-- I also like apple chunks in low cal yogurt; strawberry and nectarine are nice, and this is very filling (I use source yogurt/ only 35 per serving).

-- caramel rice cake (50 C's) with 1 tbl PB / 150 C's or less

-- lite cream cheese or laughing cow cheese (but cream cheese is better price here & you get more for your money too) on 12-grain melba toast.

-- turkey bites or pepperettes /only 50 C's each

-- cheese slice /60 C's

-- 8-10 almonds /100's

-- 1/4 cup raisins /about 120 C's

-- whole grain cereals; small serving is very filling

-- whole grain english muffin w/pb or cheese

-- 1 oz cheddar cube

-- hard-boiled egg

-- baby cuke sliced, with 1 tbl lite ranch dressing; yummy!

-- baby carrots and celery sticks dipped in lite ranch dressing; yummy!

-- 1 bran toast with PB; always satisfies me with a cup of tea!

-- polar ice cream bar / only 110 C's

-- chocolate lowfat yogurt ice cream only 90 C's for 1/2 cup; pecan praline is only 120 C's for 1/2 cup; vanilla is low too.

-- popcicles only 60 C's each

amynbebes
08-04-2009, 09:03 PM
fresh fruit, wheat crackers with laughing cow cheese and Lara bars.

HungryHungryHippo
08-04-2009, 09:12 PM
Jamiewyn--thanks for the info on the Creamsicles! I'll have to get some!

Snacks that I'll allow myself in moderation that aren't part of my daily plan:
Sugar-free Jell-O (10 calories)
Sugar-free candy (8 calories each)
Carrots (or other raw veggies)
Crystal Lite Slurpee (50 calories)

newleaf123
08-04-2009, 09:18 PM
Favorite snack: Microwave a small amt of almond butter on a plate for 30 seconds. Then slice a ripe banana on top. Drizzle lightly with honey. Sprinkle with cinnamon. Yummmmmm.

As for how it fits in with a diet plan (per someone else's response to the banana with whipped cream): I count calories and when I come in too low for the day, this makes an awesome snack. I had this tonight and it was 148 calories total (92 cal banana, 42 cal almond butter, 15 cal honey).

DivineFidelity
08-04-2009, 09:35 PM
sugar free jello or chocolate pudding, and crystal light popsicles are my favorites. =D

Oh, and when I'm feeling especially hungry I'll pop some of that 94% fat free butter popcorn...cause to eat an entire bag of it would only be 2 points, so i know i can eat as much of the bag as I want...lol

Aclai4067
08-04-2009, 09:44 PM
I'll give another vote for the laughing cow cheese. I love it with wheat thins
I also loooove strawberries (and recently into cherries too)
I don't usually care for popcorn too much, but as DivineFidelity said it's a lot of food for few points, so it's helped me out in a few binds

WiiFatMarathonDotCom
08-04-2009, 11:42 PM
when i crave sweets, i dice some fruit (blueberries, nectarines, whatever i have at home) and add some low-fat cottage cheese. and pretend it is ice-cream. ;)

I love to eat frozen fruit ... bags of frozen mango slices, bags of frozen blueberries, bags of frozen peach slices, and bags of frozen strawberry slices. Most of the three-serving bags are 200 kcals or less ... and there is nutritional value as well. I usually buy Dole, but will slum for Great Value brand if the Dole are out-of-stock.

And, yes!, I pretend they are ice cream!!!!!