Introductions Introduce yourselves and make new friends!

Old 08-03-2009, 09:51 PM   #1  

Default New, with health issues, need to make changes fast.

Hi all, I am new here and I'm loving all the support and information this site and it's members offer. I feel like I'm home!!!!
I'm a mom of 4 girls, and I currently weigh way too much! I'm reluctant to say, but I'm going to say it for the first time. I weigh 274.6lbs. I'm about 5'5 so it's needless to say I have AT LEAST 100lbs. to lose.
Since my first daughter, I've been at risk for diabetes, and had gestational diabetes with my first 2. Also, during the first and last 2, I had stillborn twins. The reason I'm telling that detail is I think it's important to mention how many pregnancies I've had because I gained an extraordinary amount of weight with all 5 pregnancies, losing only a small amount after each delivery. Also, I had C-sections with all 4, which has made it a little harder to lose weight after the births. My lower abdomen is literally numb completely, from belly button to pubic bone, and from hip bone to hip bone.
Okay, now fast forward to today. I am newly diagnosed with diabetes, and I'm getting some info from the dr, of course, but I'm afraid and I want to make immediate changes!!! I stopped drinking pop a few days ago. Cold turkey. Normally I would drink at least 6 cans of pop a day, so now I'm on just water. That's been my first big step. May sound small, but to me it's huge and I hope it will make a huge difference.
The next thing is obviously the eating habits I have. I want to eat right, and more importantly I want my kids to eat right. I have also started to have a small increase in blood pressure. It's prehypertension, but I'd like to get healthy before it becomes full blown hypertension! The problem is I don't know how!!! As I said, the dr is helping a little with this by giving me the food pyramid, but that really didnt' help too much. I want REAL people to tell me things they know are good to do from experience. I want to learn from others who have done this and knwo what they're talking about.
I guess mainly I wanted to come in and introduce myself and give a little background so I could hopefully find people who can relate, and then hopefully find resources to help get me through this! My goal is to one day be one of the people answering posts to newcomers who are in desperate need of support and guidance in here.
This is my first step in many to come, and I hope I can learn a great deal here.
So, if anyone here knows a good starting point for me to jump in I would greatly appreciate any help and/or advice! I'm having trouble finding how you eat right with diabetes AND high blood pressure. I find "diets" for both conditions, but I don't know exactly how to combine the two.

Thanks for reading, it really feels good to just ramble a little.
Thanks!
Carly
Carlycando is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2009, 09:54 PM   #2  
Resident Pixie

S/C/G: Pant Size - 28/12/8

Height: 5'2"

Hi Carly and welcome to 3FC!

I am a calorie counter myself. Maybe you should check out the Diet Central here - http://www.3fatchicks.com/forum/#diet-central

Great tips and advice for all types of eating plans

Good luck with your goals.

Hugs
Michelle
Onederchic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2009, 10:00 PM   #3  

S/C/G: 204/114/120

Height: 5'

Welcome and good luck ! You certainly have come to the right place for encouragement . I would have thought your doctor would have been more helpful about your diet considering your diabetes. I do not have diabetes myself but my son does and he has lost over 200 pounds by diet and exercise and his doctor has taken him off his diabetes medication. So I know it can be done. I am sure there are other diabetics on the forums that would be a great help to you. Keep posting.
bargoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2009, 10:41 PM   #4  

S/C/G: 165/155/140

Good luck hunny!! U can do this!!
Jokan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2009, 10:26 AM   #5  

Under Dieting with Obstacles is a forum for Diabetics. You might post there and get lots of helpful information.
QuilterInVA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2009, 10:48 PM   #6  

Thanks guys so much, I appreciate all the encouragement and support already. I feel so pumped and ready to go!!! I know this will be a good time in my life, and I feel so good about it.
And by the way... ONDERCHIC.... WOWWEEE!!!!!!! I saw your progress pics and you look AMAZING!!!!!!!! You are truely an inspiration, and I thank you for being open with others and giving some of us the desire to make it happen. THANK YOU!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Carlycando is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2009, 11:01 PM   #7  
Tai

S/C/G: 272/111/Maintaining

Height: 5'4"

Welcome to 3fc's! When I started my weight loss I had pretty high blood pressure and the doctor recommended something called "The Dash Diet" to get it under control. Google it for more info (not related to Mrs. Dash), but basically I had to stay at or below 1500 mg of sodium per day. I'm a calorie counter as well.

A few years ago my dad wanted to get off his medication for type 2 diabetes and he had very good luck with a diet called "Sugar Busters."

Whichever you choose I wish you good luck and encourage you to stick around! Post often and let us know how you're doing. There are many wonderful forums to check out, but please feel free to join us on the 100 pound forum.
Tai is offline   Reply With Quote