Pregnant - Nursing Diet support for the pregnant or nursing chick!

Old 08-03-2009, 07:09 PM   #1  

S/C/G: 311/241/235 mini

Height: 5'7"

Default Blood Sugar and Pregnant - Need HELP!

Hello everyone. I am frantically writing this as my Dr. thinks I may be type 2 diabetic and I didn't know it. I am 6 weeks pregnant and the thought of my baby having a birth defect because this went untreated has me in absolutle panic and tears. I starte dtesting my sugar last year when my Dr. told me my fasting sugar of 100 was high. There some mornings it would be 157 and 130 but as I lost weight this went down. All last week I was 106, 105, 91, 89 ,etc. for an average of 101. My after meals sugar is always way less then 120. So the problem is my fasting blood sugar. I go for a glucose test tomorrow and an A1C but my concern is if I am diabetic and my fasting blood sugars are around 106 or so could this have caused damage to the baby already?? I know my Dr. will know best but I was hoping someone out there would have experience that could help ease my mind.
Missunderstood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2009, 11:09 PM   #2  

S/C/G: 283/253/190

Height: 5'9"

You are still very early in your pregnancy.

Most (if not all) of the concerns with diabetes (type II & gestational) is later in the pregnancy. Consistently high, out of control blood sugars can lead to larger babies which can cause complications with delivery. After birth the baby can be at higher risk of having breathing difficulties, jaundice & very low blood sugar.

You are very early in your pregnancy & have lots of time to get this sorted out. Doing the fasting test seems somewhat redundant imo as you have been tracking your blood sugars with the hand meter for some time - they should be able to go just on those. A1C is interesting to see what is going on but as it shows an average over the past 3 months it won't reflect the fluctuations you have throughout the day.

Sounds like you are already working towards improving your situation. Keep at it - you'll be able to figure this out.

Your baby will be fine.

FYI - I had VERY out of control gestational diabetes despite my strict adherence to the right diet & exercise. It took us quite awhile to figure out the right doses but finally got it figured out. My blood sugars were really only in line for the last month of the pregnancy (I was diagnosed at 6 months) & my baby & I had NON of the potential complications - NONE.

Good luck & congratulations.
Lifeguard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2009, 11:20 AM   #3  

S/C/G: 311/241/235 mini

Height: 5'7"

Thank you Lifeguard! I went and had my tests today and now all I can do is wait for the results and then see a dietician. I will just stay positive and keep doing what I need to to help with the health of the baby. I am such a worry wart and I know that isn't good either.
Missunderstood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2009, 02:25 PM   #4  

S/C/G: 275/226/160

Height: 5'1

I too was diagnosed with Diabetes at 10 weeks pregnant which means i was probably a diabetic before. Being diabetic with out controlling it so early they say could cuz birth defect as the baby's organs are forming when your blood sugars are out of control. However out of control is in the 200 to 300's so I would not worry.

I have learned my lesson about controlling my sugars as my 2 year old daughter was born early and had to stay in the NICU because I did not control my sugars (she was a 9 pound premi). So PLEASE control them! I chose to take insulin because I could not control some of my cravings..but it will be ok, and honestly its not bad!

I just got my ultra sound and maker test and everything is fine..Your sugars are not that high at all, my fasting sugars are 90-95.
Tiffrutherf is offline   Reply With Quote