Weight Loss Support Give and get support here!

Old 08-03-2009, 11:08 AM   #1  
~*A Work In Progress*~

S/C/G: 150/150/110

Height: 5"3

Unhappy 19 year old almost ready to give up....help please! im tired of being fat.

okay so im about 5'2 5'3 tall....ive gone from 110 to 150 in 2 years! i just cnt seem to loose the weight! i try dieting and excersising but after a while with me seeing no result i get discouraged and stop. i just dunno what to do anymore....does anyone have any tips for me maybe? how can i loose these 40 pounds?....and how long will it take me?! i really need sum1 for motivation.....
PhatieGurl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2009, 11:32 AM   #2  
Resident Pixie

S/C/G: Pant Size - 28/12/8

Height: 5'2"

Can you give some details into your diet and fitness plan?

Hugs
Michelle
Onederchic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2009, 11:38 AM   #3  

S/C/G: 220 (2007) 159 (now)/159/140

Height: 5 feet, 8.5 inches tall

First off....Don't give up! Everyone on this site has been where you are, and felt how you are feeling right this very moment.

Coming here for support and encouragement is a massive and wonderful first step. I found this place halfway through my weight loss journey, and I have since hit my goal and passed it, and am now maintaining. This is a wonderful place for hints, tips, ranting, raving and all-out discussion and help.

You've made the decision to make yourself healthier, and a 40 pound loss is NOT too big a goal to reach. If you lose 1-2 pounds a week through a change in diet and exercise, which is the recommended safe amount to lose weekly, it shouldn't take a lifetime!

The best decision I made when starting was choosing calorie counting as my method to use. It's a lifestyle change rather than a "diet." You can eat the things you normally eat, but in moderation. That's where SO many resolutions to lose weight go off track, IMO...people decide to cut out ALL sweets or ALL bread or ALL of things they love, then binge on them, go off track and stop all together.

As far as exercise...start slow. Find something you like to do and just DO it. I HATE the treadmill with a burning passion, but love the elliptical trainer and bikes. Build up a tolerance, and stick with it. Incorporate weight training from day one, as well....totally helped me along the way.

You can do it!!
MindiV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2009, 11:39 AM   #4  
~*A Work In Progress*~

everyday
100 sit ups
50 push ups
1 hour walk on treadmill
pilates tap at night

and im eating 6 small meals a day.
cut out fried greasy foods.
and prepackaged foods...
and i only drink water.....

what am i doing wrong?

could birth control b to blame?!

Old 08-03-2009, 11:40 AM   #5  

Hey babe! I put on my weight when I was 19 as well. So let me see if I can throw you some advice

First of all.. 110? That is on the very low end of the recommended height/weight chart for women. Only someone that is small framed should weigh that. A lot of people like to think they are a small frame, but it is actually not that common. Most average people are medium or large frame.

So 5'2 or 5'3 for medium frame.. you are looking at somewhere between 122-130lbs.

(You can determine frame size by measuring your elbow. Here's a guide. And here is a good free height/weight chart.)

Okay! So, hopefully you haven't clung to the horrible teenage habits of eating barely enough for a bird to live off of. Most dietitians are going to recommend that you eat at least 6 times a day. Breakfast-snack-lunch-snack-supper-snack.

All of these should be small. Meat should not have breading or be fried except on rare occasions. Your breads/starches should be limited as well. The diet I am on only allows for one serving of bread or starches a day.

You have to put enough fuel in your body to support your workouts.

Now, exercise should be a mix of cardio and resistance/strength training. I'd recommend pilates for you! You should warm up with about 5 minutes of running or aerobics, enough to get you going.. then do some resistance training. Your goal is to build long lean muscles because they burn calories and fat.

The biggest offensive you are going to launch will be your diet though. Workouts are less than half the battle. Diet is going to be something you need to monitor every meal, every day.

What helps me is this: Food is just like medicine. Each kind of food has a different impact on our bodies and our mood. You always closely monitor what drugs you are putting in your body and the food you eat shouldn't be treated any less importantly.

Pay attention to the labels and calories per serving. Some containers are pretty tricky and try to make it look better than what it really is. My Pyramid is actually a pretty good site to figure out what the best kind of servings you should be eating for you.

Okay, I think I have gone on for long enough Weight loss blogs have been my best motivation so far. Mine is here, and there are plenty of links on my blog roll of other inspiring weight loss blogs!
KatieBell28 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2009, 11:47 AM   #6  
~*A Work In Progress*~

thank u all for ur pep talks n tips.... but i really think i just need a workout buddy or sumthin...sum one who can go to the gym with me everyweek....and if one of us should start to slip pick each other up...problem is...i cant find anyone. .....sigh.... would anyone happend to be from gloucester va?
Old 08-03-2009, 12:26 PM   #7  

S/C/G: 215/199/180

Height: 5'8"

Do you track your calories? I would highly suggest doing that to really see what you are consuming. I use LoseIt on iPhone but others here have used DailyPlate on the internet as well.

I know weight loss methods can get complicated, but at the very foundation, it's all about comsuming less calories than what you expend. It takes practice and discipline, but you'll be amazed at what you learn about your eating habits once you start tracking it down to every gram. I always thought I ate fairly healthy and was frustrated that I wasn't losing any weight. But once I started to record what I ate, I realized I took in a lot of sneaky calories in the form of bite here and bite there. It all added up to an extra 500 calories a day.
KDuffer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2009, 12:59 PM   #8  
One step at a time...

S/C/G: 255/211/160

Height: 5'6"

"6 small meals" can be any number of calories. You could be eating 800 calories or you could be eating 2500 calories. If you aren't tracking, you don't know. And as a previous poster said, exercise isn't the whole deal. Yes it is important and all, but as far as calories in/calories out, you can do a lot more damage with your calories in! A candy bar or a piece of fried chicken takes 60 seconds to eat. It would take literally HOURS to work it off. So if you are only focusing on exercise and neglecting to control your intake you might be in trouble.

And yes, the first thing I thought when I read your post was that 110 could be an unrealistically low weight for you...
Rebound is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2009, 01:28 PM   #9  
~*A Work In Progress*~

i know 110 seems low but im petite. i was 110 once before...its my healthy weight.