South Beach Diet Fat Chicks on the Beach!

Closed Thread

Old 08-03-2009, 05:56 AM   #1  
GlenwoodHotSprings

S/C/G: 275/179/179

Height: 5'5"

Default Monday at the Beach

Good Morning Everyone

Its a cool and clear Colorado morning in my little mining town. By the time the sun comes up I'll be on my way through the Rockies to the other side of the mountains.

I'd like to catch my H2Yoga class at the pool. I don't get as much exercise when I'm over here. I'm anxious to see the garden and not as excited to do all the yardwork. We'll be back by Wednesday since the raspberries are going strong here. But first, I need to get everything packed and the house picked up. Our rule since we go back and forth so much is to always leave a clean house. Not fun going, but always rewarding when we get back.

My Mom is doing a modified P1, so food should be easy. I'm going to make Jandas Moong Dal. I have CSA veggies waiting so no need to bring anything from here.

What's up in your part of the world? I hope the weather has calmed, Cottage, and that your mess is not too big. Sit and chat, I'd better finish my chores.

Have a great day everyone!
Old 08-03-2009, 06:16 AM   #2  
Come on Spring!

S/C/G: 232/170/150

Height: 5'0" on a tall day

Good morning, Debbie. It's great to see your sunflowery face first thing in the day! I have never driven through the Rockies - enjoy it for me. It must be very beautiful.

This should be a quiet Monday. It's a stat holiday so there will be no construction brouhaha until tomorrow morning. I will pick up my furries later today after I've made sure the dog yard is secure. There is a huge pile of earth out there which I had better cover with a tarp before the doggage decide to dig in there. The dog fence is back temporarily and needs to be checked out - Jazz seems able to get through the smallest opening!

The Pypers are coming this morning for a day on the Lake but that'll be no problem. They'll either bring burgers to BBQ or we'll end up eating pizza at the diner. I'm voting for BBQ although Bob will make me a "light" version of his pizza. It had better be light as July was a disastrous month for weightloss - I was up and down and ended up exactly the same. There were too many social events involving food but August should be quieter.

Time for breakfast - poached egg and spinach on ww toast washed down with V8. I'm being "good"!

Hope your week is starting off well. Come and chat a bit.
Old 08-03-2009, 06:33 AM   #3  
Working on healthy

Height: 5'5.5

Good morning It looks like a whole week without significant rain. Maybe my garden will actually dry out.

Debbie - Have a good drive. The only time I've been over the Rockies involved a pickup truck and a trailer and I was to concerned about making it over to fully appreciate the drive. I would love to go back when I have time. Have to see what the bird lists look like Your "retirement" sounds a lot like Ruth's - busier than my days now!

Ruth - Ending up where you started is better than other possibilities Given all the food connected activities that seems like an accomplishment. Enjoy your no construction day with the fur babies.

It's just another Monday here. I've been trying to spend Mondays in the office because I'm the only member of my team working but it makes me dread them more than usual. I might have to rethink that idea. The rest of the week is filled with visits, so more fun.

If the weather really holds we are going camping Friday and Saturday night. Friday morning I'll call around to our favorite VT campgrounds and look for a lean to. We are spoiled here but those lean tos make short camping trips so much easier.

It's going to be a warm week here, good for the garden but time to think summer meals. Think I'll fire up the grill tonight.

Because someone here will know - I'm looking for ideas to use pigeon peas. My Mom accidentally bought some (she thought they were lentils) now I have them and need ideas. I just have one bag but they are ready to go.

Hope your Monday has sunny breaks and no hassles
Old 08-03-2009, 06:35 AM   #4  

S/C/G: 186/147/135

Height: 5'1"

Thanks for getting us started, Debbie. Have a safe drive back over the mountains but take time to enjoy the scenery. I bet it's beautiful!

It's nice to have you back, Ruth, and I hope you had lots of fun at Shirleyanne's. How did those slippers go over?

It's looking to be a dry day. I want to venture down to take a look at the garden but I'm afraid I'll sink ankle deep in the mud since the ground is so soggy! We had a month's worth of rain in one day yesterday!
I have a 4-day work week since I'm taking off Friday, but I'm looking forward to getting back to a normal routine with my girls this week, and today is going to be busy with their tutor coming this morning, and piano lessons this afternoon.

My coffee cup is empty, so it's time for a refill. Want some?

Morning, Cyndi! I almost missed your post! I hope your day in the office isn't as bad as it sounds. I don't have any suggestions for your pigeon peas, but I sure am enjoying that gazpacho recipe you posted! Thanks!

Last edited by cottagebythesea; 08-03-2009 at 06:40 AM.
Old 08-03-2009, 06:37 AM   #5  
-

S/C/G: Size 16 to 18/Size 6/I'm there

Height: 5"3" Age: 55

Good Morning!
Debbie, enjoy that weather! It's hot and muggy here. Wish we had a CSA. I tried to fine one, but no go.

Ruth, I know you and the puppies are going to be so happy together again. Enjoy that good breakfast!

Me,..I have to go back to school one week from today, so that means my classroom has to be all put together by then. The day we report back is all meetings, so this is crunch week. Will head over there for a few hours right after the gym to start moving my stuff from my old class to my new one. I don't feel like it, but I'm sure once I get going it will be ok.

*** Cottage and Cyndi...have a great day!
Cottage, just put on those mud boots and think how easily weeds come out when they are all gooey at the bottom!
Cyndi, I've neer heard of pigeon peas!! Are they grown on the sidewalks in cities??

Last edited by femmecreole; 08-03-2009 at 06:41 AM.
Old 08-03-2009, 06:53 AM   #6  
Working on healthy

Height: 5'5.5

Good morning Cottage & Cat

Cottage - enjoy your 4 day week. Weekend plans to look forward to?

Cat - I'm surprised there are no CSAs around you. My daughter even found some that deliver in Boston. There are so many here that they offer all sorts of options to attract members. Mine sends an email list every Sunday night and we get to order off the list. I love that because I never end up with things I don't want (like too many roots in the fall). Enjoy your remaining vacation!

Apparently pigeon peas are very common in the Caribbean and in Africa. I have no idea why the Walmart in central NY had them but they do look like fat lentils. Seems like they are usually served in beans & rice style but I'm looking for something more creative or interesting seasonings. Hmmm
Old 08-03-2009, 07:08 AM   #7  

S/C/G: 186/147/135

Height: 5'1"

Cyndi, my nephew is getting married Friday evening, so I just decided to take the entire day off. And the next day, my brother decided to invite all the guests to a BBQ at their house and watch the bride and groom open their presents before they take off for their honeymoon.

Cat, you reminded me that it's time to take the girls out for some school shopping. A lot of the stores have kiosks set up with lists of supplies for each school. It's usually my job to take the girls clothes shopping, too, but I don't mind. I kind of enjoy spending someone else's money.
Old 08-03-2009, 07:11 AM   #8  
-

Cyndi, I went and looked them up and saw a lot of recipes for them. You know, it's really strange that we don't have them here. A LOT of our foods here are both African and Caribbean dishes. There was a lot of "back and forth" commerce from the islands to New Orleans and waves of people who came here from San Dominque (now Haiti) and from Cuba etc in the early 1800's and throughout the 1700's. Guess nobody brought those little beans here!

Last edited by femmecreole; 08-03-2009 at 07:17 AM.
Old 08-03-2009, 07:20 AM   #9  

S/C/G: Too much/Less/Just Right!

Height: 5'4"

Good Morning!

Debbie, About 6 years ago, we traveled what I think is called the "Million Dollar Road" to Silverton. It was the twistiest, curviest, steepest road I've ever driven! Enjoy your trip today.

Ruth, I love holidays that make long weekends. I have a V8 Story... My FIL got himself a bottle at the convenience store yesterday. Auston asked for Sierra Mist. They didn't have Sierra Mist, so FIL got him Sprite. Auston was so upset about the Sprite, he gave FIL the Sprite and drank the V8! I never dreamed my 5 year old would drink V8!

Cyndi, I've never had pigeon peas, either, but if they are from the Carribean, maybe cook them with brown rice and season with Jerk Seasoning? I like new beans.

Cottage, Your girls sound busy! Does your schedule go to part time when school starts?

Cat, What grade do you teach?

Me, Short week for me,too. Auston and I are flying to Louisiana early Friday morning. We are very excited! I'm going to try to pack only a carry-on, so I don't have to pay the bag check-in fee. But, I have to have room for my boa.

Hope your day is beachy!
Old 08-03-2009, 07:34 AM   #10  
-

Chelby, I teach second now, but spent most of my career teaching kindergarten. (I think it was 15 or 16 years?) Also taught first, and one year of 5th and 6th language arts,
and 4 years of 1/2 day computer lab before I went back to teaching full time. The school where I taught kindergarten (the whole school was kindergarten..over 300 little guys) called me to ask me to teach computer lab and I decided to give it a try and loved it, but it was only 1/2 days and that last year I decided to go back to teaching full time.
I just went back to teaching full time last year at another school. I had a web design business for several years in between teaching years.

Without a doubt, kindergarten was the most challenging position. I would have children who didn't even know their color names and would have to have them reading by the end of the year. killer!

Last edited by femmecreole; 08-03-2009 at 07:38 AM.
Old 08-03-2009, 09:40 AM   #11  

Cat, I'm a little concerned about Auston. We have a huge non-English speaking community. Auston is already reading. If he gets bored in Kindergarten, he's going to get in trouble! Heck, he was sent to the office in 4K for telling his teacher, "I'm tired of dealing with YOU!" Obviously, she was tired of dealing with him, too. How does a teacher balance readers and non-readers?
Old 08-03-2009, 10:14 AM   #12  
KO
In Pursuit of Divatude!

Good Morning Ladies!
I'm sneaking in on the sly
Chel what color is your boa I'm knitting a hot pink fun scarf one! and do they have an accelerated kindergarten for kids who are more advanced?
Cat your kids are lucky to have you!!
Cottage I always loved back to school shoppign if not back to school have fun spending some one elses $$ The wedding sounds great
Cyn Tell us how the pidgeon peas work out
Ruth did you have a good time in Ottawa
Debbie I bet yoru drive will be beautiful Take pics!!
Me just getting into the day day 1 ph 1 so far so good and drinking regular water instead of my influx of crystal light. DH and I have to hit the grocery and pick up my prescriptions finally!!! gonna head outside at lunch for some down time
And get down with my boxing self tonight while he's off doing boy stuff
We have a big fam party (inlaws 50th anniversary) next month and I have a dress I want to fit into for it
I'll try to be back later!
Kierie
Old 08-03-2009, 10:32 AM   #13  
sophie

Debbie - sounds like you are in heaven right now, with cherries and rasperberries and the mountains surrounding you. Enjoy yourself.
Ruth - was breakfast on the deck. Company that brings their own food is always good.
Cyndi - enjoy your mountains too. I love being in the mountains the air is so sweet.
Cat - doing prep to start a new year is hard work. Getting to know your students and all their names must take time.
Chelby - I do hope that we see a picture of you wearing your boa. When are you meeting Scmoodles we want a full report of that.
Ko - nice to hear from you. Is your dress a little black number?

me - good girl this morning. I made sour dough pancakes for the family and I had fibre one. Looks like summer is here (keeping fingers crossed). So much to do before we leave on the 15th. We will be gone for more than a month and I can't wait to drive in the Rockies (Banff area). My daughter is going away to Vegas for four days so we will have the little one all to ourselves. He gets up at 6 and goes to bed around 8 and we followed him. My DH is a real night owl and I never saw him go to bed that early. O.K. got to go and do some weeding today.
take care
Sophie
Old 08-03-2009, 10:37 AM   #14  

KO, My boa is green, purple and gold feathers. Very festive!

Sophie, Schmoodle will be here either today or tomorrow, depending on the convention's schedule. I'm excited to meet her!
Old 08-03-2009, 10:45 AM   #15  

S/C/G: 249/ticker/150

Height: 5'5"

Chelby, we were worried about our son when he started kindergarten, too, but his teacher was great at handling it. It's really 1st or 2nd grade where they start recognizing learning differences around here and arranging classes accordingly, so his K teacher was a godsend!

Debbie, the Rocky Mtns. are one of our favorite vacation places - so gorgeous! Enjoy your drive.

Ruth, maintenance is better than one of the two alternatives. Good luck securing the dog fence!

Cyndi, I've never heard of pigeon peas, but will be interested to hear what you do with them.

Cottage, I love back-to-school shopping! Have fun.

Cat, once you get started moving all that stuff, it'll get easier. Like many things, getting started is the hardest part, right?

**Kierie - good luck restarting P1 today! I hope your new meds help you feel much, much better.
Sophie - good girl! You'll feel much better later on today than if you'd had pancakes.

Today is P1 D8 for me and I'm feeling GREAT! Also, I think thanks to SB, my mood has improved! For the first time in over a year, I got out of a huge creative slump and actually designed and created some new pieces this weekend!

-Jasmine

Last edited by jrizzle; 08-03-2009 at 10:48 AM.
Closed Thread