100 lb. Club - I call this person a friend?

View Full Version : I call this person a friend?

lottie63
07-31-2009, 06:39 PM
OMG.

I just told a fairly close friend of mine my plan to become a nutritionist AFTER I lose the weight. I said I want to do SOMETHING for a living where I am helping people and that I would feel great being able to show people it's possible to lose, that someday I would be able tosay 'been there, done that' about losing weight. I have lost about 25% of it already.

not too shabby....or so I THOUGHT.

He made fun of me!

He said, "lol I dunno about that. You're favorite food is diner onion rings, and I don't think nutritionist's should recommend that."

I was nearly in tears. So even though I said AFTER I lose, this means nothing to him. and I will always be the 'fat girl' who loves diner onion rings.

AUGH!

:mad:

I'm sure he thought he was being cute or funny, but I don't think so ...at all!

Beck
07-31-2009, 06:45 PM
((hug)) Definitely NOT nice of him. I think it would be a great idea.

Aclai4067
07-31-2009, 06:54 PM
Ugh. I knew a girl a couple years ago who was in school to become a nutritionist and would talk about this one heavy girl in her program, saying "why would anyone go to a fat dietition?" I told her it's not always easy to practice what you preach and I'd rather go to a nutritionist who knows that than be lectured by some skinny b!tch who's never had to lose a pound in her life.

*She and I had previous conflicts. She was very judgmental and unsympathetic to people who are overweight or obese (including her mother!)

lottie63
07-31-2009, 06:57 PM
Okay, I just talked to a friend about him, and she said, "you're smart, you're motivated, you can do this if you want to."

It cheered me up. She also had some words not so appropriate to the forum about him as well. ;) hehe

People are mean jerks sometimes! :(

dragonwoman64
07-31-2009, 07:01 PM
I think you could be a fantastic nutritionist and it's not dependent on whether you lose the weight or not. personally, I think a nutritionist or anyone in the field of helping others lose weight who can relate to the draw of diner onion rings is a big plus.

guys can be gigantically dense.

lottie63
07-31-2009, 07:07 PM
I know i CAN be a nutritionist at any weight, but it is a new motivation for me to lose it. :D

and ...I would feel like a total failure if I did it and didn't lose. It's just in my head that way. :P

bcort
07-31-2009, 07:11 PM
Sorry he said that - some people just are so insensitive, & he may not even realize it. Try to forget it & don't let it keep you down.

beerab
07-31-2009, 07:31 PM
It's nothing against you- it's his own insecurities playing against him. He is jealous you have found something to be passionate for and he wants to bring you down- it's not about you- it's about him.

I know nutritionists who eat pizza, drink alcohol, and so on, BUT they know it's all about moderation! Nutritionists don't live on carrot sticks!

Screw them, just don't share things like that with them anymore.

lottie63
07-31-2009, 07:39 PM
actually he's moving away, so it will be a good excuse to cut ties.

He's kind of an *** all the time. :P

patchworkpenguin
07-31-2009, 07:48 PM
i've asked my Hubby on several occasions about some of the weird/dumb things that I have heard men say, his comment is 'that they THINK they are funnier than they really ARE!"

Your friend is probably stuck with a sterotype that overweight people are overweight becaust they sit around and eat fried foods all day. He's clueless!

Ignore him. Go for your goal! we know you can do it!

lottie63
07-31-2009, 09:25 PM
So, I got a half hearted semi offensive "apology" (I use that term loosely) email from my "Friend."

He said that he can't BELIEVE That i would be offended by his little joke, and that we have eaten on over a dozen times and not ONCE has it been at a health food restaurant, so if I"m going to go all "healthy eating" on him, to expect a joke or two.

then he said, "But if I hurt your feelings I apologize."

AUGH! Just made me MORE angry. Like, "You're fat, so you should expect me to make fun of you for trying (implication: In vain) to get healthy."

I told him that people change, and that what he said was very discouraging and that I didn't lose almost 40 lbs by eating onion rings.

SCREW HIM!

Windchime
07-31-2009, 09:49 PM
Know what? I think you would be awesome at being a nutritionist because you've WALKED the WALK. You've been in the trenches and had to make the tough choices.

And know what? He can go sit on a tack. You go and be a nutritionist, and you can still enjoy an onion ring now and then. A nutritionist once told my Mom that the main thing is to make good food choices 80-90% of the time and she'd be fine.

Men. They can be such stinkers!

bargoo
07-31-2009, 09:54 PM
He is a jerk. Don't let his stupidity upset you.

MsDiana 08
07-31-2009, 10:03 PM
mmmmm onion rings!!!

tell him to go suck a @#&*
sorry.

it's ok.
when I had a job interview for an executive assistant position.
my friend/roommate told me
"if you just lose some weight you'll be perfect for that job"

nooch
08-01-2009, 01:46 AM
Wow, what a shcmuck. Seriously. Wow.

Also, I am pretty sure that nutritionists are allowed to like onion rings. What a (string of expletives). I am livid on your behalf, girl.

Onederchic
08-01-2009, 01:53 AM
Well, you don't have to be healthy or skinny to be a nutritionist. The one who was working with one of nieces weighed about 300 pounds. I am sure she was eating more than healthy choices.

You don't let what others say get you down. You are gonna do this. You are an amazing person :hug:

mj5
08-01-2009, 07:59 AM
I think you would make an excellent nutritionist. I agree w/ what others have said...I would be more likely to relate to someone who has been there. Besides, I'm sure there is a healthier way to make onion rings...ever watched Ellie Krieger...that's what she does. For me, that's what it's about--finding ways to make real food healthier. You will do this and you will be fabulous at it!

Rosinante
08-01-2009, 01:54 PM
if you alter your eating patterns, you've got to put up with people making 'jokes'? What a twerp. I would say 'not worth losing sleep over' but I know how this kind of carp hurts. His apology was worse than the original comment; and neither of them funny. I'm so cross right now! That 'You've got to expect' - like it's your fault if he can't understand you. What a ...... rude word.

BTW, when you're a nutritionist, I hope you advise people that onion rings in moderation are fine! mmmmm onion rings.....

lottie63
08-01-2009, 02:00 PM
rosinante, exactly! It was stupid and rude and his apology WAS worse than the original comment. I really feel like he was saying, "you're fat, I get to make fun of you, deal with it."

but, today is a new day and I'm gonna try and stay away from him.

Thighs Be Gone
08-01-2009, 02:05 PM
Insensitive comment. You are doing really well on your journey. You will make an awesome nutritionist. I so agree with the poster stating that she would rather talk to a nutritionist that KNOWS the struggle than just another skinny *****. I so, so agree.

msmsms
08-02-2009, 08:19 AM
I'm brand new so I have a lot to learn from you all...but your post about your friend's comment reminded me of something I read in a fiction book (not a self help one) but that I think is really helpful: "Don't let the outside of him hurt the inside of you!"

caryesings
08-02-2009, 11:01 AM
BTW, you don't have to wait until you lose the weight. It's a 4 year degree so you can work on it while you're losing.

Thighs Be Gone
08-02-2009, 11:10 AM
This is something I am very interested in pursuing myself and have been thinking about for several years actually. I have two degrees but in nothing I want to be doing.

Does anyone know what the demand is for nutritionists? Can anyone gimme an idea of how much more schooling (considering I have finished two degrees) I would need to be ready to go to work in the field?

TJFitnessDiva
08-02-2009, 11:46 AM
What an insensitive...well you know ;)

I'm wondering the same thing. I've had a few people want to hire me to help teach them how to eat, I was a little weirded out at first but there is a big possibility there...I think anyone that could make this change would be a great nutritionist!

txestella
08-02-2009, 12:08 PM
Actually, many of your friends may still see you in the same vein you used to be. You are making the transformation that they are not fully aware of...so don't let is remark get you down. If anything, use it as a positive to remind you where you are now and where you once were.

Our mental mindsets are the biggest hurdle in losing weight.....so take this as a gift....as an obstacle the new healtier lottie can just shrug off get past.

Just think of all the patients you could impact with the journey you are taking. As a health professional myself, I think too many have never really battled weight to the point of being maybe 20 -30 pounds overweight....so to have the insights and empathy of someone needing to lose a significant amount, you will be that much more effective.

txestella
08-02-2009, 12:12 PM
Most Nutritional degrees are very chemistry and physiology based. So you need to be science oriented to succeed in the courses. Just having fitness background or a strong interest in te field, ect...is not going to credential you for the position.

There is a fair demand, mostly hospital based. I think the demand will rise when more insurance companies provide benefits for weight loss. But a nutritionist works with far more clients that weight loss, so that is only a part of their focus.

Sheena41
08-02-2009, 12:14 PM
I think you will be a great motivation to your future clients. I know I would appreciate someone who had been there, done that, and was now showing me how to do it better.

TJFitnessDiva
08-02-2009, 12:28 PM
Well heck that'll work just fine for me lol I have a BS in Animal Science ;)

Onederchic
08-02-2009, 12:33 PM
I have a BS in...bs.. does that count? :D :p

lottie63
08-02-2009, 12:33 PM
Hmmm.

I saw a nutritionist when I was in the psych hospital. I wouldn't mind doing that.

PaulaM
08-02-2009, 12:41 PM
Personally I would much rather be counselled by someone who "has been there" than somebody who never had a food craving in their life and thinks carrot sticks are indulging. You can be whatever you want to be.