Weight Loss Support Give and get support here!

Old 07-31-2009, 12:02 AM   #1  

Default I Don't Know What to Do...

So this is my first post here, I really just knew I needed to come some place to get support and maybe some words of encouragement.

For the past 3 months I've become a completely different person, I've lost 30lbs, my skin is clearing up, I feel better, I'm so proud of myself.

I've always tried to be healthier/lose weight but this is the first time it's ever really stuck.

For the past two weeks things have been kind of tough, I've hit a plataeu which I know is completely normal. I've tried changing up what I'm eating / how much I'm eating. I've tried changing the excercise routine but nothing is working.

For the first 2 months of my diet I was really impressed with how much my attitude had changed, I really never thought I could go back to eating junk / scarfing down every bit of food in front of me. For the first time I had control. Now within these past two weeks, I've reverted back to my old attitude "oh, a piece of this won't hurt...", "oh, i'll just cheat a little" and then it only gets worse.

tonight I full on BINGED. it was terrible. i couldn't even stop myself. i was so upset while it was happening I don't know why I kept going. I legitimately feel like something is wrong with me.

i really, REALLY don't want to lose everything I've worked for.
anything would help right now. any stories, any quotes any THING.

sorry this is probably really jumbled but i'm pretty upset.
clupo1027 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2009, 12:11 AM   #2  

S/C/G: 190/140/135

Height: 5'7"

I can only speak from my own experience - I tended to binge while trying to lose weight if I was overly restrictive.

Have you been eating enough calories of good, healthy foods to sustain you? If not, please consider adjusting your food intake to a level where you can still lose weight, but your body is satisfied with the nutrients.

If you haven't been overly restrictive, are you bored, sad, lonely? Are you planning your meals carefully or just "winging it" (I've never been able to impulsively eat healthy - it's so much easier to eat unhealthy foods on the go).

First, be good to yourself. Every one of us have had a night of offplan eating. Tomorrow, drink a lot of water and just have a normal day. If you were planning on cutting back tomorrow to make up for tonight, don't (you might set yourself up for another binge), just make a plan for a good, healthy day and follow through. Plan for the day, plan for the week and just follow your plan.

Forgive yourself, it's easy to beat yourself up and feel bad. But food is just food, and it's not like you get one chance to pass a test and if you fail it's over. There are limitless chances to do better.

Don't give yourself a completely free pass. Tomorrow, when you're calmer, after a nice lunch or a piece of fresh fruit, try to think why did you binge and what techniques could you use in the future to stay onplan. Could you have left the house, make a phonecall, posted here, brushed/flossed your teeth, washed the dog - anything to remove yourself from the trigger situation.

You are free to use a mantra of mine that has helped me defuse offplan eating before, I tell myself "dripping water can eat through stone" to remind myself that it is a thousand little changes that leads to big weight loss results. I also like "my hand, my mouth" to remind myself only I am in charge of what goes in my mouth - no one forces me, the food does not jump down by itself. I also like "no cookie is the boss of me."

Congrats on your 30 lbs lost, forgive yourself, move on!!
Glory87 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2009, 12:14 AM   #3  
Busy Momma

S/C/G: 198/191/135

Height: 5' 9"

Here's the thing, you know that you did it and tomorrow is another day. We all have slip up now and then and it commen to have them when you hit a plateu. Now tomorrow you start over like it never happened. One little slip up is not going to ruin the months of hard work that you have done. You know that you can do it and have proven it to yourself.

Get back up on that wagon in the morning and keep on trucking, your doing a great job!!!

Shouka
Shouka is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2009, 08:41 AM   #4  

S/C/G: 165/155/140

u are doing an awesome job, stick with it!! It was only one day and one day does not define who u are and who u want to be!!
Jokan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2009, 08:58 AM   #5  
Never surrender

S/C/G: 251 current/237 minigoal/180

Height: 5' 9"

Quote:
Originally Posted by clupo1027 View Post
For the past 3 months I've become a completely different person, I've lost 30lbs, my skin is clearing up, I feel better, I'm so proud of myself.
read that again,

I've had lots of ups and downs too.

try to think of the binge as a blip and learning experience. two weeks isn't necessarily a plateau, I know about the fear of having the weight loss momentum slow. And I also know about having the "just-one-won't-hurt"s creep up on you.

you should be proud of yourself, and put the negative behavior behind you, forgive yourself, and get back on the bandwagon. You know in your heart it makes you happier and healthier. Best of luck!
dragonwoman64 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2009, 09:57 AM   #6  
Back in Action

S/C/G: 213/197/140

Height: 5'6"

I just have to ask...What came first? The "I can have one piece of_____" *or* your plateau? So many times I think people blame going off plan on plateaus when in actuallity they plateau because they go off plan. A real honest to goodness plateau is a pretty rare thing.

Do you think you just started reverting back to old ways because you felt you deserved it?...(felt better physically or thought you could handle it?) Please remember that no one deserves to be overweight. Try to get back to your healty way of life. You do deserve that!

Last edited by Lori Bell; 07-31-2009 at 09:57 AM.
Lori Bell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2009, 10:17 AM   #7  
Ija
Extra gluten

S/C/G: 286/135/135

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lori Bell View Post
A real honest to goodness plateau is a pretty rare thing.
I think a lot of people would disagree with that argument, for good reason.
Ija is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2009, 10:26 AM   #8  

S/C/G: SW:165.2/GW:130

Height: 5'3.5"

Well, to add my personal thoughts to the idea of "plateaus".... I always try to put a positive spin on it by thinking of it as "maintainence-practice". I mean, if i prove to myself that I can stick to my plan during a plateau, then I feel like I'm proving to myself that I can stick to my plan for the rest of my life. Hope that helps
jinna86 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2009, 10:27 AM   #9  

One night of binging? No biggie! I agree with a lot of what Glory said, maybe you binged because your haven't balanced your meals quite right. And yes, planning really is vital to making a diet work. I plan my meals for a week, buying everything I need for that week on Sunday. (After I get my coupons from the paper!)

I eat 6 times a day. Quick rundown of my meal day:

Breakfast: Scrambled Egg Whites and a naval orange or small apple
Snack: Banana (I always eat a banana when I finish working out in the morning)
Lunch: Some type of grilled or baked chicken, fish or beef and 2 vegetables
Snack: A bowl of strawberries or grapes or walnuts. (Sometimes I do a few peanuts)
Supper: Again, a type of grilled or baked chicken, fish or beef. Three servings of veggies and one type of dairy.
Snack: Most of the time a type of fruit. Sometimes I will hold the dairy until now and eat some cubed cheese.

I get most of my carbs from fruit. On the weekends I loosen up, I will eat a couple servings of bread. Maybe have some low fat ice cream. I think that helps me a lot, I can sorta play around with my sweet tooth on Saturday or Sunday. I would probably lose weight faster without that, but it keeps me happier

I'm a total binger too. I've never had success with WW because I would horde points and try to binge at night.
KatieBell28 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2009, 10:34 AM   #10  
Baby Stepping Along

Big, big hugs. I hope this morning has brought a little more calm.

I totally agree with PP on DO NOT make some sort of punishing/big adjustment to try and make up for the binge. Not going to serve you so just pick up your plan where you left off whenever the little slips started. It was obviously working for you.

I wanted to suggest that you consider working on your time horizon and extend it. The crux of permanent weight loss seems to be getting to the place where you are doing what you are doing and you are going to do it in its essential form for the rest of your life. Whether it's raining or snowing, whether you lost weight today or not. The idea is that you are identifying ways that you can permanently change and not just tolerate (even if for months at a time). These are hard things to figure out and what works for 3 months might not work for more of that and you have to tweak, tweak, tweak the plan. When you get to goal, you'll tweak again to move toward maintenance. You've arrived at a place where your plan probably needs a tweak or 2 since you've found it's not entirely sustainable.

There is also the underlying attitude/thought that says I'm doing this to lose weight vs. live a healthier lifestyle. I try to focus on the healthy lifestyle side because the weight loss invariably follows for me and I want to do the things I'm doing even if I weight 20 more lbs than I do now.

Hope there are some thoughts in there that you might be able to take away.

Peg
p7eggyc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2009, 11:15 AM   #11  

S/C/G: 217 /*/140

Height: 5'5"

ditto. on the hugs. It was the frustration of the scale not moving that set you off. Our bodies do so many things while we are losing weight...sometimes the scale stops moving, but our body is adjusting us to our new size.

My advice-STICK WITH IT. The scale will eventually move again. Stop binging. Binging IS NOT going to get you there any sooner!
jendiet is offline   Reply With Quote